Video: AT&T crushes tedious “rebel’s” hackneyed dissent

posted at 6:15 pm on August 9, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’m trying to imagine a lamer, less imaginative musical gesture than borrowing “The Wall” for a knock on Bush. Changing the line in “Revolution” about Chairman Mao to something about “President George,” maybe? How about a version of “Gimme Shelter” where “Iraq is threatening my very life today”?

Lamer even than this poseur’s paint-by-numbers cri de coeur is the fact that AT&T would have felt so threatened by it as to cut him off. Click here and watch the first clip to see what web viewers saw. The uncensored version, taken by a fan just as the muse was moving the poet Eddie to speak Trooth to Powuh, follows below. Zzzzzz.

Comments

Lammmmmmeeeee

doriangrey on August 9, 2007 at 5:43 PM

doriangrey on August 9, 2007 at 5:43 PM

That’s really all that needs to be said. Comments closed.

BadgerHawk on August 9, 2007 at 6:23 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

MCPO Airdale on August 9, 2007 at 6:30 PM

Pearl Jam? Didn’t their revolution end like…in 1993?

If I wanted political commentary from grungy dudes in beat up flannel, I’d ask a lumberjack about FISA.

John from OPFOR on August 9, 2007 at 6:35 PM

Was this even worth a post, AP?

p0s3r on August 9, 2007 at 6:36 PM

I blame Global Warming and George Bush for everything. Of course, I’m totally joking all the time, but it makes me totally awesome with people who have absolutely no sense of humor. Because they totally blame Bush for everything.

John from OPFOR on August 9, 2007 at 6:35 PM

True dat, true dat.

mjk on August 9, 2007 at 6:39 PM

These guys are less hypocritical than most libs.

I remember their fight with ticketmaster. They were willing to make less money to stand by their principles. That makes the rare libs indded.

JayHaw Phrenzie on August 9, 2007 at 6:41 PM

I thought that the band Pearl Jam all died in a plane crash back in the 80′s somewhere over Iceland.

Opps sorry…wrong band.

Sgt. Khe Sahn

1GooDDaDDy on August 9, 2007 at 6:55 PM

Say, isn’t AT&T the same company that carries the iPhone?

In a statement, AT&T attributed the bleeping to “a mistake by a Webcast vendor” that was “contrary to our policy. We have policies in place with respect to editing excessive profanity, but AT&T does not censor performances.

So, what else does AT&T censor outsource?

Kini on August 9, 2007 at 6:57 PM

That’s really all that needs to be said. Comments closed.

Was this even worth a post, AP?

Totally, dude, this is so important.

Christoph on August 9, 2007 at 6:58 PM

These dopes haven’t put out a decent song in a decade. Who cares what you think, Eddie.

John on August 9, 2007 at 6:59 PM

These guys were somewhat popular once, right? I mean, a really, really long time ago, no?

I’m thinking their musical creativity has withered so this is how they try to stay relevant. Of course, their creativity in that dept. is just as weak.

thirteen28 on August 9, 2007 at 7:01 PM

The kidlets at huffypoo had grungy kittens over this (corporate) affront to artistic expression. Oh the humanity.

Of course, those open minded and oh-so tolerant libs had me banned and my post removed in the midst of their protest about ‘censorship’. Define ‘cogent’.

I need a shower.

locomotivebreath1901 on August 9, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Punks.

Zorro on August 9, 2007 at 7:07 PM

When I hear: “Pearl Jam is a band that doesn’t care about the money,” I point out that they’re all rich white guys living in one of the most expensive areas in the USA.

They don’t care about money because they already have plenty of it. At this point, everything they do is for no other reason than they can’t stand being wealthy and ignored.

ScottMcC on August 9, 2007 at 7:12 PM

I thought PJ was against corporate America?

Kini on August 9, 2007 at 7:12 PM

I really jumped on the alternative rock bandwagon in the 90′s because hair bands were not my thing. I played and sang Pearl Jam songs in cover bands back then. You didn’t get as much of a sense of everyone’s political views during the Clinton years, the way you do in this decade. Eddie and his legion of liberal musician/actor/artists can yap all they want. They all have lost a huge part of their audiences. It’s a shame we gave them as much money as we did back then. Being able to rock does not make them smart or right or informed.
Sadly, my generation bought into the notion that entertaining = enlightened. Two words: John Lennon.

Buck Turgidson on August 9, 2007 at 7:20 PM

I can’t think of anything lamer….well yes, but still….

nottakingsides on August 9, 2007 at 7:21 PM

Eddie just made “The Lame List.”

(bonus points for anyone who knows the reference.)

Mallard T. Drake on August 9, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Here’s a good Eddie story:

My son, who is a huge Pearl Jam fan, was in a club one night in Seattle. He went into the bathroom and Eddie was in ther “finishing up.” As Eddie was walking out my son noticed he had by-passed the sink. My son called him on it and said “Eddie, you forgot to wash up.” Eddie kept going.

If you ever have a chance to shake hands with Eddie, keep that story in mind.

Mallard T. Drake on August 9, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Man, you people are brutal. Dude, its the middle of summer, stories are usually pretty damn slow. I think Allah is doing damn good given how slow news is.

Bad Candy on August 9, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Pearl Jam…please….

They’re trying desperately to become “relevant” again. They’ve even taken up the cause against mean old BP in my state too. Stick it to the man! please…….

commonsensehoosier on August 9, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Crappy band, crappier politics.

madne0 on August 9, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Pearl Jam insulted President Bush? Well I guess they will be getting a Grammy next year then.

SoulGlo on August 9, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Vedder, class all the way. Who tribute concert, mid 90′s. Vedder’s dressing room after the show. Broken mirror, on the wall scrawled in blood “f-you this is my generation”. His version was not edited.

PowWow on August 9, 2007 at 7:58 PM

Dammit. He used to be so inventive and revolutionary. Why are all of my old crushes turning into morons?

Tanya on August 9, 2007 at 8:12 PM

How about Harry Chapin’s Taxi, where Bush is the passenger?

Kevin M on August 9, 2007 at 8:31 PM

Just when I thought I was out (of the manufactured
‘mystery’ that was Vedder & Pearl Jam), they (try, and again fail to) pull me back in.

Teddy on August 9, 2007 at 8:45 PM

He clearly didn’t need no education or rather he didn’t get no education. What a dork. Back in DC in the early 80′s we had a joke: Why did the punk rocker cross the road? Because Ian did, (referring to Ian Mackaye of Minor Threat & Fugazi). That’s Eddie Vedder. What a poseur and a boring one at that.

locomotivebreath1901 on August 9, 2007 at 7:04 PM

I, too have been banned from Huffpoo – the people who are so tolerant and love free speech, even though they want to bring back the Fairness Doctrine and love Chavez and Castro. Wear it like a badge of honor!

foxforce91 on August 9, 2007 at 9:10 PM

How can Pearl Jam bitch about corporations at a corporate sponsored event? He is a rocker-hawk.

Stormy70 on August 9, 2007 at 9:12 PM

Tanya on August 9, 2007 at 8:12 PM

To answer your question, because we grew up. It’s a damn shame but I can’t bring myself to listen to Mellencamp, BonJovi, and a whole host of others anymore because of the very same reason. They turned out to be morons. Undeniably talented, but nonetheless morons.

commonsensehoosier on August 9, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Who are the moonbats gonna hate come Jan ’09?

infidel4life on August 9, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Losers then…losers still. I was never a fan of these posers.

tickleddragon on August 9, 2007 at 11:18 PM

Poseur, indeed. Last Eddie story I paid attention to had him vomiting in some sewer, half passed out, in the French Quarter, trying to pick fights with passersby who just laughed at him.

Wretched loser.

Jaibones on August 10, 2007 at 12:22 AM

I kind of liked the way they layed “Another Brick in the Wall” over the theme from “Knight Rider” – Musical Genius!

Wingo on August 10, 2007 at 5:27 AM

Stormy70 on August 9, 2007 at 9:12 PM

Exactly. If you’re gonna work for The Man, you gotta follow The Man’s rules. Compared to PJ’s stand aganst TicketMaster, where they put their money where their mouth was, here they willingly accept ATT’s big bucks promotion, then bitch when ATT bleeps content.

Reminds me of the commercial where the guy in a suit says “This is my way of sticking it to The Man” and his assistant says, “But, you ARE The Man, sir.”

SicSemperTyrannus on August 10, 2007 at 7:30 AM

Dumping on the President is the new hello. Everything from cancer, to world hunger, to pandemic paranoia have taken a back set to focusing on something like how stupid or brilliantly evil the CIC is. All to a replying chorus of the new millennium version of “Right on”. It’s a cheap, lame, loser way to submerse oneself in anti-US cool.

Richard Nixon once commented on how they wouldn’t have him to kick around anymore. You have to wonder if in twenty years after President Bush leaves office, they will still be blaming him for hurricanes, bad Democratic mayors and governors, and losing wars to get back at his memory.

Hening on August 10, 2007 at 8:06 AM

Eddie just made “The Lame List.”

(bonus points for anyone who knows the reference.)

Mallard T. Drake on August 9, 2007 at 7:30 PM

“That wallows in lameness.”

“LAME! LAME! LAME! LAME!”

James on August 10, 2007 at 8:07 AM

Who are the moonbats gonna hate come Jan ‘09?

infidel4life on August 9, 2007 at 10:32 PM

George W. Bush. They’ll probably even have a “Keep the Hate Alive Tour,” whose official title will be “Keep the Love Alive Tour.”

BKennedy on August 10, 2007 at 9:05 AM

Boring. Irrelevant.

One great album (their first).

Ed & Co have been living off the White House since 2000.

Malpaso on August 10, 2007 at 10:10 AM

I really jumped on the alternative rock bandwagon in the 90’s because hair bands were not my thing. I played and sang Pearl Jam songs in cover bands back then. You didn’t get as much of a sense of everyone’s political views during the Clinton years, the way you do in this decade.

Buck Turgidson on August 9, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Sorry, but you did. I remember seeing Mr. Vedder scrawl PRO-CHOICE down his arm in black sharpie during Pearl Jam’s “Unplugged” show on MTV in 1992. I also remember him droning on and on in 1992 about how this nation “needed to change and go in a new direction” (sounds familiar, huh?) during the couple of times I saw them within that year.

Vedder made his politics well-known from the very beginning…

eanax on August 10, 2007 at 10:26 AM

The Dixie Jams

mjkazee on August 10, 2007 at 10:33 AM

Was this even worth a post, AP?

p0s3r on August 9, 2007 at 6:36 PM

Eh, I like ragging on the band. I mean they haven’t even been on the radio in years, and that really did suck.

Vedder made his politics well-known from the very beginning…

eanax on August 10, 2007 at 10:26 AM

Huh. I must have just been ignorant back then, though to save myself the heartache, I always assume a band is full of libs first. That way it’s a happy surprise if I ever find one that isn’t.

Wingo on August 10, 2007 at 5:27 AM

Brilliant. I thought that sounded familiar. I loved KIT.

Esthier on August 10, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Hated Pearl Jam in 1993 when they were “relevant.” 70′s AOR band retread. A buddy of mine had a joke – what’s the difference between Pearl Jam and Grand Funk Railroad. Nothing, except Grand Funk Railroad was better.

Eddie Vedder was especially annoying. Nice to see that my opinion of my generation’s self-appointed spokesman is justified. Poseur.

crazy_legs on August 10, 2007 at 10:43 AM

We don’t need no islamification.
HEY IMAM, leave those kids alone!

aengus on August 10, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Embarassingly juvenile would be a glowing compliment for something this “the revolution begin in my parents’ basement” level tripe.

Bush is just their security hate blanket so they don’t have to shuck the cocoon of fantasy planet and face the real jive world of maniacs like Achmadinejad and Zawahiri.

Or truly monstrous acts of ideological terror like the slaughter of Danny Pearl or Theo Van Gogh.

Those actual killers are too scary for these kids, so it’s better for them to curse the bumbling night watchman named Bushitler (who smudged their library card as he guards their asses), than yell at actual jihadist madmen …who they know would merely laugh and slice off their Vedderite heads.

profitsbeard on August 10, 2007 at 5:39 PM