Winter Soldiers and other thoughts

posted at 8:01 pm on August 8, 2007 by Bryan

If you only read one more piece that deals in any way with the Scott Beauchamp affair, it ought to be this one. Final graph:

Winter Soldier Syndrome will only be cured when the costs of slandering the troops outweigh the benefits. Exposing Scott Thomas Beauchamp and his brethren matters because the truth matters. The honor of the military matters. The credibility of the media matters.

Think it doesn’t make a difference? Imagine where Sen. John Kerry would be now if the Internet had been around in 1971.

In 2004 I predicted that we would see John Kerry mini-me’s emerging to slam the war effort by smearing the troops. Since then, we have seen a bunch of them — Jimmy Massey, Jessie MacBeth, Amorita Randall, Josh Lansdale, Micah Wright and now Scott Beauchamp. In every case, the blogs and internet gumshoes have been crucial in stopping these campaigns of lies. Without the tireless, sometimes thankless and often derided efforts of bloggers and particularly milbloggers, these charlatans and many more like them would have followed John Kerry’s path to fame and power, and along their paths would have been strewn the tattered reputation of the world’s greatest military — again. This isn’t to suggest that terrible things don’t happen in war, and perpetrated by our own troops: They do happen, and our troops do commit the occasional crime in the course of combat. But that isn’t what Beauchamp et al alleged. They alleged, as did Kerry before them, that the entire military had rotted from the head down and is out of control. Kerry was wrong then, but there was no internet to debunk him in real time. He was a very lucky man for that. His imitators weren’t so lucky, and that’s a very good thing.

Rusty makes a good point re CAIR and the South Carolina (alleged) pipe bomb students:

So two Muslims are found with pipe-bomb materials in their car and CAIR cries “discrimination,” but when a couple of teenage hoodlums throw a plastic Coke bottle out their car window near a mosque…

You’ll have to read the whole post to get the full impact, but it’s a keen observation.

The Brooklyn Arab school’s “peace goals” have been released:

The controversial Khalil Gibran International Academy’s grant application for private funds says the school wants to produce “agents of change” and “ambassadors of peace” by focusing on the “complexity of Arab history and the diversity of Arab culture.”

This is the same school whose principal is connected to a group selling “Intifada NYC” t-shirts, which might give the phrase “agents of change” a whole new meaning.

Comments

It’s worse than Beauchamp, et al!

They’re trying to convince us that Pat Tillman was murdered in cold blood by his fellow Rangers to cover up his political beliefs. Whatever makes Americans think that our tyrannical administration will stop at nothing to squash dissent.

They’re trying to make America believe that Alyssa Peterson either committed suicide because emotional problems resulting from witnessing torture, or was also preemptively murdered in cold blood to prevent stories like Abu Ghraib from leaking to the media and subsequently used by the Anti-War left to turn public opinion against the Administration.

The radical left in this country will condescend to the lowest levels of scum just for the purpose of making everyone else see the world their way – by any means necessary.

HockeyTemper on August 8, 2007 at 8:16 PM

I suspect if the internet had been around in 1971, Kerry would have spent all of his time stalking rich broads on Hermoney Harmony.com.

fogw on August 8, 2007 at 8:17 PM

More like agents of chaos.

It’s fitting that they use Kahlil Gibran as the name of the school. His writings are intense and sometimes uplifting. Seems like another exercise in taqiyya.

astuddis on August 8, 2007 at 8:18 PM

“Calling it an acid bomb is kind of misleading,” Officer Barnett said. “It was a plastic bottle with pool cleaner that expands and pops and squirts the pool acid. It’s kind of like the Menthos (mints) and Coca Cola thing you see (on YouTube) — the pressure mounts and it pops. It’s not like a stick of dynamite was placed there.” ….

Just wait until someone calls the mosque and asks if they have Prince Albert in a can.

HATE CRIME….HATE CRIME

conservnut on August 8, 2007 at 8:22 PM

With all due respect to the “efforts of bloggers and particularly milbloggers” it is outlets like Hot Air and MM.com who’s writing styles are more familiar and who attract much broader audiences that helps expose these “winter soldiers”.

This is serious stuff, soldiers and faux soldiers making claims of criminal behavior committed by our armed forces. Some of these claims have resulted in riots and deaths. Thanks for shining the light of truth on what turns out to be piles of “steaming bull dung”.

Zorro on August 8, 2007 at 8:25 PM

I think allot of this BS could be nipped in the bud if we had a president that could communicate his views effectively. We don’t have that in Bush. I know the people here at hotair get it. But the vast majority of voters are stuck with getting what little info they get from the msm. They are busy working to feed their families. I’m a programmer and have multiple internet based companies so I’m online 12 – 18 hours aday.

J Kerry is just an struggling opertunist. If he had ever actually worked for a living instead of being a gigalo he might have became a good man.
Bb post

TheSitRep on August 8, 2007 at 8:35 PM

Some time ago, in my travels I happened across John Kerry’s secret MySpace entry. It is no longer “out there”, but being the enterprising individual that I am, I saved it.

Hi there fellow bloggers. My name is United States Senator John Forbes Kerry from the great state of Massachusetts. You can call me JFK if you want. I was born on December 11, 1943, although people tell me that I look at least 20 years younger. It’s probably my great hair and rugged good looks.

I graduated from Yale in June 1966 in the top 1% of my class. To earn extra money during the summers, I loaded trucks in a grocery warehouse and sold encyclopedias door to door. That is probably one of the reasons that I am so humble. Over my four years at Yale, I maintained a 96 grade average and received a 101 average in my senior year.

I am one of the most senior members of that grand and much loved and respected institution known as the U.S. Senate. Probably the only living Senator even a little bit greater than me is my dear friend Ted Moore Kennedy. I also have a very high IQ. Very high. Much higher than that creep who stole the election from me. I know that he stole it because exit polls are never ever wrong.

I am also a great war hero. I set all kinds of records for heroism when I was in Vietnam. I was grievously wounded at least three times yet continued to insist on staying in the fight when lesser men would have given up. I won the bronze star with extra V’s for extra valor and the Silver Star for defeating a whole battalion of NVA with my bare hands.

I sometimes like to chill out after a long day of serving the American people by having a double martini with my good friend Ted. We usually have a servant bring 21 double martinis. I get one and Ted gets one for each of his fingers and each of his toes. Contrary to what some of my very few enemies say I never marry women for just their money. They must also have a pulse. BTW, did I mention that I was in Vietnam? I was
also in Cambodia, so don’t forget that!

I would like to think that I am open minded, honest, polite, heroic and trustworthy. And I appreciate the same qualities in others although I am realistic enough to know that no one else could come close to me.

Who I’d like to meet:
…other progressive bloggers. Other great war heroes who hate that damn S-T-U-P-I-D Texan in the White House. Cool people who live close to Washington D.C. so that we can get together, talk about you for about 30 second and then spend about 3 hours talking about me. BTW, did I mention that I was in Vietnam and Cambodia? Just one more BTW, if anyone has found my magic hat please return to me.

MB4 on August 8, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Zorro, do you think we would be this far on the Beauchamp story if it were just MM and Hotair? HA and MM rely on being fed info by smaller blogs and commenters.

Bad Candy on August 8, 2007 at 8:38 PM

That’s not to say HA doesn’t do good research, but they wouldn’t be nearly as effective if they were totally reliant on in-house research. It takes a churning army of people to accomplish what has been accomplished in this Beauchamp story.

Bad Candy on August 8, 2007 at 8:41 PM

astuddis, Bryan, has anyone figured out why that Muslim group named that madrassa after Kahlil Gibran? As I commented on Michelle’s signature site, Gibran Kahlil Gibran was a Maronite Catholic. My late father actually met him while in NYC, (my Dad was about 10 years old at the time)… Nevertheless, I am curious as to why these Muslims would name their school after a Christian.

Zorro on August 8, 2007 at 8:43 PM

Zorro on August 8, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Esteban: To guards: Remember, he is cunning, he is crafty. He’s not just going to walk in here and say ‘Here I am!’

Zorro: Here I am!

MB4 on August 8, 2007 at 8:46 PM

No, of course not. But the keen eyes of Michelle, Bryan, Allah et al pick up these stories and then drive them home. I visit several of the milblogs. From Micheal Yon, Blackfive, Opfor, Confederate Yankee and more but the people I work with do not visit those sites. Some get their news MSM sites others from Drudge. But many come here to Hot Air and MM.com.

Zorro on August 8, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Zorro on August 8, 2007 at 8:50 PM

MB4 on August 8, 2007 at 8:46 PM

A blast from the past.. LOL! I haven’t watched that movie in years! Thanks

Zorro on August 8, 2007 at 8:54 PM

Yeah, but keep in mind, they don’t always find things themselves, people send them links. I get a fair number of links in Headlines, and have gotten I’m thinking four or five links in the blog, and I can tell you, it ain’t because the HA crew are regular visitors to doubleplusundead.

Bad Candy on August 8, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Zorro, that was the funniest movie I ever saw, bar none. I almost split a gut.

MB4 on August 8, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Interesting tidbits with regard to the “acid bomb”:

The incident occurred about 1 a.m. Monday when a bottle with a swimming pool chemical and a reactant was tossed by a passenger in a red car and landed on the street outside the structure, a converted mobile home with no outside markings identifying it as a mosque, Toomey said.

What the heck were they doing outside the mosque at 1 o’clock in the morning? Do they live there? Is that one of the prayer times?

Also, apparently this was not an identifiable mosque–no dome, no minarets–just a converted mobile home with no markings. So these moron kids (who deserve to be punished for their idiotic behavior) are going to face felony charges (like the Koran flusher) and possible prison time because they happened to toss a Mentos/Coke type bomb in the wrong trailer park.

This has got to stop

IrishEi on August 8, 2007 at 9:17 PM

Sorry. Second paragraph should be a quote from this article.

IrishEi on August 8, 2007 at 9:19 PM

Anyone remember the name William L. Iams?

He was a soldier in Pennsylvania after the Battle for Homestead. When Frick was shot, he cheered the attempted murder.

He was summarily charged with treason, hung by his thumbs, shaved and discharged.

We need to start doing that to these guys.

Tim Burton on August 8, 2007 at 9:23 PM

In 2004 I predicted that we would see John Kerry mini-me’s emerging to slam the war effort by smearing the troops. Since then, we have seen a bunch of them — Jimmy Massey, Jessie MacBeth, Amorita Randall, Josh Lansdale, Micah Wright and now Scott Beauchamp — Bryan

In this sense we can at least say, Kerry was ahead of his time.

petefrt on August 8, 2007 at 9:26 PM

Kerry was ahead of his time.

petefrt on August 8, 2007 at 9:26 PM

Drat that Al Gore for inventing the internet!

RushBaby on August 8, 2007 at 10:07 PM

Has anyone ever asked Kerry, “Hey, why the long face?”

jihadwatcher on August 8, 2007 at 10:34 PM

jihadwatcher on August 8, 2007 at 10:34 PM
Maybe they have. That’s why he’s such bitter angry, america and military hating man.

I flipped by Chris Matthews (jackarse) a couple of days ago. He was interviewing someone about a book targeting the liberal media, about their lies, distortions, and anti-bush reports, and how they want us to lose in Iraq.

“Why target the left wing media when there are pleanty of conservative media outlets doing the same thing?”

“No, the right wing media isn’t trying to bring down America or the Bush administration.”

Maybe someone can help with my reference?

Mazztek on August 8, 2007 at 11:03 PM

I’m reminded of this scripture:

Matt 11:15-17

He who has ears to hear, let him hear. But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places, who call out to the other children, and say, ‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.’

We are a blessed generation, but with blessing comes responsibility. The internet has given us ears to hear the truth, and many of us do. But many have closed their ears, to their own shame.

infidel4life on August 8, 2007 at 11:34 PM

Tad off topic, but Khalil Gibrans’ writings weren’t of a radical nature.

captivated_dem on August 9, 2007 at 12:08 AM

The internet’s power is a two-edged sword.

It gives any individual the opportunity to opine or edit, anything.

However, yes, it does give tenacious and intelligent people

like you Bryan (I mean that sincerely) a decided edge over

the dimwits who cannot even see two chess moves ahead of

their own nose.

Mcguyver on August 9, 2007 at 1:36 AM

JOHN FORBES KERRY: Megagigalo.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 9, 2007 at 1:37 AM

There is a reason that Kerry got an “honorable” discharge long after his active duty and reserve service was up or should have been up.

There is a reason that he didn’t request copies of his medals until he was elected in 1984.

There is a reason that his discharge refers to a special hearing of officers to award him his honorable.

Kerry’s antics got his pee-pee wacked and it took Carters blanket pardon if all protesters to make it right again. Or so it appears.

georgej on August 9, 2007 at 3:02 AM

Despite becoming a Republican, I had not yet regretted my vote for Kerrey in 2004. Now that I understand this issue of the “Winter Soldier” and its implication for our nation’s ability to defend itself and now that I’ve been convinced by the audio of John Kerrey’s speech on Michelle’s page, I now would have voted for Bush in 2004. I was unaware of just how deep the treason goes on the Democratic side.

I’m a well-informed citizen, but alas most citizens are not. And most Democrats just don’t realize. If we want to get the message out of the treason in the Democratic Party, we need to make the case patiently and not angrily. It’s the only I would have listened when I was a Democrat. It’s the only way the message will get through. I suppose we even have to find a word milder than treason, even if it is treason. If we want Democrats to listen, we have say something like “undermine our military to the point of us not being able to defend ourselves.”

I suppose the swift-boat stuff was some Republican way of hinting at this treason issue, but the message just doesn’t get through.

thuja on August 9, 2007 at 10:12 AM

JOHN FORBES KERRY: G. I. Joke.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 9, 2007 at 2:33 PM

Only the dims would run a gooney bird like Kerry for President. Shows their anti-military and America is automatic wrong attitude.

navy1946 on August 9, 2007 at 4:42 PM