Video: The great convenience store robbery

posted at 9:26 pm on August 8, 2007 by Allahpundit

Thanks to my pal Big Red for the tip on this. Unlikely though it may seem, as good as the video is, the article’s even better. Click the image to watch.

shotgun.jpg

Comments

Ah, man, why didn’t he get shot.

The clerk was doing so well and then totally jeopardized his life. He should have fired.

Proceeding to article…

Christoph on August 8, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Yep, definitely should have shot him. What an arsehole.

I’m talking about the cashier.

Christoph on August 8, 2007 at 9:33 PM

The robber grabbed the gun and Alam dropped the phone as the pair struggled for control. They smashed into display racks, knocking down cartons of cigarettes and an entire wall of adult magazines. Copies of Fetish Dolls, Best of Club and Oriental Women went flying off the top shelf, as did a stack of Playboy Magazines with Mariah Carey on the cover.

\,,/ awesome.

fusionaddict on August 8, 2007 at 9:35 PM

Yeah, I screamed ‘Shoot his a$$!’ Ah well.

TinMan13 on August 8, 2007 at 9:35 PM

Say goodbye for 5 to 10!

Kini on August 8, 2007 at 9:39 PM

Oh the humanity , that alone is reason to fire first ask questions later .

Mojack420 on August 8, 2007 at 9:40 PM

This guy Alam is an idiot. He needs to notify the local PD that he will be armed when he’s in the store. And he should be trained to the point of being comfortable handling his and other firearms.

He has a responsibility to his family. I understand what it is to work a dangerous job. I drove a cab on the side when I was in college. And it’s hard to make a man give up his job…no matter how dangerous.

But this store has been marked as a target. He works off hours apparently. He does not have a second body for security. The guy is an idiot.

I thank God and will pray for his safety in the future. But at some point, you have to take protective measures.

As for the rat that tried to rob him…BUH-BYE! The dude seemed wired on coke. And he was just way to cocky.

I hope he bleeds internally from his first prison rape.

The Race Card on August 8, 2007 at 9:49 PM

Another button-pushing curiousity:

What happens to the mainstream media bias in stories like this?

Fact is, the press is a necessary institution in our lives. To deny this is to ignore and refute the wisdom of our founding fathers.

Of course, there are issues of bias. But the constant whine about MSM as being unfit for service is getting tired. Where did you go to read stories about the MN bridge collapse? About Bonds asterisk homer? About the diaper-wearing astronaut? I mean, how partisan can a weather report be?

Just wondering…

The Race Card on August 8, 2007 at 9:55 PM

Great article. Well written. I wonder if David is related to Dexter Filkins.

Dusty on August 8, 2007 at 10:04 PM

Stupid is as stupid does.
2 stupids, laying the shotgun down and the clerk not taking the shot.

Clerk should have removed this piece crap from the breeding pool. I hope he or one of our family members does not regret it later.

And as far as the mags in the rack, trash draws trash.

Dersu on August 8, 2007 at 10:05 PM

How is this not the quote of the day? Come on!

nailinmyeye on August 8, 2007 at 10:08 PM

I don’t know, these are contenders as well:

Sixteen minutes later, the back door creaked open and Walker, dressed in underwear and a single blue tube sock, walked out with his hands behind his head.

“You could sell this for $49.99 in the hood!”

That is tough.

nailinmyeye on August 8, 2007 at 10:11 PM

Uh, not his gun, dude. But if you’re saying that he should be familiar with the weapons he could potentially be robbed with…well…OK. But notifying the PD that he could potentially become armed if a dipsh*t robs his store seems like it would generate…laughter.

Pablo on August 8, 2007 at 10:13 PM

Man, some of you people are brutal. The cashier guy did his best in a bad situation, yeah, I know that being afraid to fire in that situation is bad, the guy is still human.

Bad Candy on August 8, 2007 at 10:14 PM

That said, he’s like the real life version of Apu from the Simpsons.

Bad Candy on August 8, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Oh, man,

oh, my …

sometimes,
it is prudent to just not say anything..

rockhauler on August 8, 2007 at 10:20 PM

I am relieved for his family that he did not shoot the robber. The consequences could destroy the family.

On the bright side, some Skoal got blown away!

RushBaby on August 8, 2007 at 10:21 PM

I agree Bad Candy. Alam seems like a great guy, smart and composed, doing the best he can in a bad situation. It was pretty big of him to not shoot when he had the opportunity.

Dusty on August 8, 2007 at 10:25 PM

I’m glad that the shell got spent, thank God the numbskull thief only had one and the shot hit the wall. I’d rather he shot the guy and risked the trouble then have the scumbag get his shotgun back.

On the bright side, some Skoal got blown away!

RushBaby on August 8, 2007 at 10:21 PM

True that, man some people have really bad taste in their vices. Get a decent cigar!

Bad Candy on August 8, 2007 at 10:29 PM

Pablo on August 8, 2007 at 10:13 PM

How about it? Tough talk from people looking at video on their computers at home. Wasn’t this in New York? Another socialist “give me your guns” state? This guy would have fried if he shot the now-unarmed idiot ghetto maggot.

I thought he did great to grab the shotgun; hilarious.

Jaibones on August 8, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Jailbones, It’s not a give me your guns state. It is fairly easy to get a concealed carry permit here, though it is harder in NYC than the rest of the state, I suppose. This happened in Albany.

As for other arms, it not a big deal at all to buy them.

And no he wouldn’t have fried.

Dusty on August 8, 2007 at 10:51 PM

as did a stack of Playboy Magazines with Mariah Carey on the cover.

NOOOOOOOO!!!

Almost all of us in my town know that the liquor store guys are packing.

Mazztek on August 8, 2007 at 10:55 PM

I half agree with jailbones. Had the clerk shot him he may have had trouble. Maybe or maybe not from the law but, if he killed the guy he could have been facing a wrongful death suit from the family. If he did not kill the guy he could have been sued by the guy himself. Our system is so screwed up none of it would suprise me.

boomer on August 8, 2007 at 11:07 PM

Shoot the robber. End of story. No more robberies from that parasite. Easier said than done, I know. But just the same, shoot the robber.

Montana on August 8, 2007 at 11:12 PM

That would have been the most justified shooting in history.

Man enters store with SHOTGUN for goodness sakes (one blast and it’s over). Clerk takes gun. Man leaves. Man comes back and hops over counter.

What is clerk supposed to do, give back the shotgun? If he does, one would predict his dead.

Nope. Clean shoot. Foolish of the clerk. He’s lucky, but not smart.

Christoph on August 8, 2007 at 11:13 PM

Christoph on August 8, 2007 at 11:13 PM

One he came back I agree. But before he left the first time one may argue that because the clerk was in control of the gun the crook was no longer a threat, unless he made advances. However as I understand the article he left then came back one the clerk turned his back. I didn’t get to watch the video. For some reason it’s not working for me.

boomer on August 8, 2007 at 11:16 PM

Yeah, he came back and hopped the counter. Very bold and foolish of the robber. HE is lucky not to be dead.

If I was there (ex-army infantry reserves) or anyone else trained with weapons, he would be.

Not because I want him to be. But because I love my girlfriend and want to see her, to marry her, and I want to create children with her.

That shouldn’t be hard to understand.

Christoph on August 8, 2007 at 11:24 PM

Thank you, come again!

The Ugly American on August 8, 2007 at 11:34 PM

Wow. Felony Stupid. Film at 11.

PatrickS on August 8, 2007 at 11:47 PM

Dusty on August 8, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Vote Giuliani and THIS will be the entire country.

Gregor on August 8, 2007 at 11:47 PM

Loved the article.

And that my dear “Scott Thomas” is how you write a story. Lots of really great little details…from someone who was actually there.

Lily on August 8, 2007 at 11:52 PM

Mariah Carey has a new album coming out soon. I can only assume she’s trying to get some coverage from being on the cover of Playboy.

The cashier should have rid society of a parasite. Oh, well. We’ll support him in jail while he converts to islam. YAY!

SouthernGent on August 9, 2007 at 12:30 AM

I am guessing that the robbers gun was unloaded and that is why he didn’t shoot him. If so I give the Jiffy guy some slack if not WHAT THE F*CK MAN!!!

C-Low on August 9, 2007 at 1:01 AM

We’ll support him in jail while he converts to islam. YAY!

SouthernGent on August 9, 2007 at 12:30 AM

Is that what they’re calling it these days? Do Muslims have a name equivalent to “Ben Dover?”

JinxMcHue on August 9, 2007 at 1:02 AM

If he converts to Islam, he’ll have to bend over in prayer five times a day and his name won’t matter.

TruthToBeTold on August 9, 2007 at 1:15 AM

How is this not the quote of the day? Come on!

nailinmyeye on August 8, 2007 at 10:08 PM

thats what i am saying .

Mojack420 on August 9, 2007 at 1:18 AM

Do Muslims have a name equivalent to “Ben Dover?”

JinxMcHue on August 9, 2007 at 1:02 AM

Allah Wantisu

SouthernGent on August 9, 2007 at 1:26 AM

No more numbskulls (or anyone else) criticizing the clerk. Read the effin’ article first. He kept his cool, used his brain. He knew the shotgun was loaded. He made a decision on the spot not to shoot, because there were no other witnesses and he was afraid the security camera wouldn’t work, and he knows the court system doesn’t always favor the good guy in a he said/she said situation.

Yes, if it were me, and the dimwit came back in and jumped the counter, I would have pulled the trigger. But I wasn’t there, and talk is cheap, especially on the ‘net. In reality it’s just as likely I would have crapped my drawers as pulled a John Wayne.

So lay off the clerk. He da man.

Splashman on August 9, 2007 at 1:45 AM

Pablo on August 8, 2007 at 10:13 PM

I know it’s not his gun. We watched the same vid and read the same story. Point is he needs to be armed. He’s been robbed repeatedly. If he’s gonna operate such a business, and invite the public into his store, he needs to pull up his panties and learn to shoot.

Pardon me for not being more clear. Again, he should arm himself! Then go and make friends of the local boys on the job.

I’m not knocking his right to bear arms. I’m supporting it. But it’s also helpful when the PD knows where the good guys are.

The guy just doesn’t seem to realize the danger he’s seen. I’ve had guns pointed at me, one aimed right at my nose. There’s nothing casual about it. If those moments don’t awaken you to the danger’s of our harsh world…nothing will.

The Race Card on August 9, 2007 at 1:47 AM

Jaibones on August 8, 2007 at 10:32 PM

I agree that in some states, you run a big risk when you defend yourself. Here in LA, forget about a CCW. But in a place of business, when some thug returns a second time apparently to retrieve the gun he left behind…it would have been pretty hard to convict the business owner on any charges, unless he was reckless in protecting himself.

As far as tough talk goes. Well, I’ve been in bad situations. My father was murdered by a creep who knew my dad had access to drugs because he was an physician. As for me, I’ve been robbed at gunpoint and shot at by MS gangsters. You know what saved me? RUNNING AWAY!

But I’ve also been saved by brandishing .44 we kept around my old Volvo shop. A guy came in claiming he wanted to buy a car when that wasn’t exactly his plan.

I go shooting quite often, but honestly I’m much more comfortable with another man hand-to-hand. I’m 235 pounds of muscle and have trained in fighting arts all of my life.

But, I’m no tough guy. I realized that the first time I had a gun pulled on me. I do know that it sucks for your kids not to have their dad make it home from work.

You can’t be lucky all the time, but sometimes luck is residue of good preparation.

The Race Card on August 9, 2007 at 2:07 AM

So lay off the clerk. He da man.

Splashman on August 9, 2007 at 1:45 AM

He’s a moron. If I had hopped the counter and was close in with the clerk, he’s dead.

Well, no, I wouldn’t kill him. But I could, shotgun or no.

He was counting on the other person being inadequate at doing his task, that’s it. He was at the mercy of the other person’s capabilities.

The clerk should never have taken the gun away from him if he wasn’t prepared to use it. Grade A stupid. So lucky to escape with his life.

Christoph on August 9, 2007 at 3:15 AM

I’ll save my condemnation and second guessing for the bad guy and accept that the clerk did what he did and thank God he survived.

What a whole lot of people forget is that us “good guys” have to stick together. Alam did what he did and since he’s one of the “good guys” all the Monday morning quarterbacking and “Iwouldas” is nothing but cheap comment posturing and since the posts have been running deep for trashing our fellow “good guy” as opposed to the scumbag POS vermin armed robber moron some folks deserve to feel ashamed of themselves.

Buzzy on August 9, 2007 at 3:38 AM

Christoph, you’re the very definition of an online blowhard. You wouldn’t dare say those words to Mr. Alam in person. So shut it.

Splashman on August 9, 2007 at 3:43 AM

BTW, Allah, how about implementing an age requirement for HotAir commenters. Gotta be at least, say, 12?

Splashman on August 9, 2007 at 3:46 AM

I would say those words to him in person, toned down, for the purposes of giving him a chance to hear my point of view and take in the following.

Then, if he was open to it, I would educate him where he could find the information necessary to make a more correct tactical action in the future.

Whether you think I would or not, whatever. It really doesn’t matter, now does it?

But I can absolutely God-damn guarantee you I wouldn’t take a shotgun away from someone as beautifully as Mr. Alam did without keeping on my toes for the next several minutes.

Christoph on August 9, 2007 at 4:07 AM

You have a good point and I agree with it.

I’m not “condemning” the clerk. I am glad he survived, believe he’s probably a very brave man, and think he was dead stupid in how he handled this situation.

Thank God he survived and I hope he gets better education — and/or a new job — before “next time”.

Christoph on August 9, 2007 at 4:10 AM

Using a gun in the commission of a rape, robbery or burglary ought to be an automatic capital offense. It’s outrageous that Hafiz Alam would mull over legal exigencies while trying to defend himself. What an indictment of our coddle-the-criminal society.

T J Green on August 9, 2007 at 5:39 AM

If that was an “automatic” capital offense, then the criminal would have to kill all witnesses each time, every time.

At some point, you have to consider consequences.

Plus, our countries find it difficult (mine impossible) to put to death child murderers in most jurisdictions… “automatically” killing everyone who uses a gun in those three crimes would be hard to get a consensus behind.

Christoph on August 9, 2007 at 5:45 AM

“I would have shot him but I didn’t know if the camera was working and no one was in the store to be a witness,” Alam said. “I’ve got a family. I don’t want any trouble.”

I thought he did fine, under those circumstances.

Can you watch it without going “Yoink!”? I can’t.

Tanya on August 9, 2007 at 7:42 AM

Pull the trigger dummy…

Viper1 on August 9, 2007 at 7:53 AM

Dusty on August 8, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Fair enough. From Chicago, it’s easy to assume that the rest of New York is run by dipshits like Bloomberg and Hinchey. Make no mistake, I would have shot the maggot and then spent the next 20 minutes smashing mayonnaise jars on his head until the cops got there, but my faith in our justice systems wanes.

In north suburban Chicago, a guy that shot an intruder into his family home was prosecuted because the (weenie) suburb had a handgun ban, like Chicago.

Jaibones on August 9, 2007 at 8:20 AM

I would like to think that I would react as well as the clerk did. I have no idea if I would have shot the guy after snatching the weapon. But there is no way that the owner could have anticipated the kid being stupid enough to come back in the store. If that clerk was facing him when he returned, I bet he would have shot him then. You would have to assume the kid had another weapon. I’m just glad this idiot got caught. Now he can get his offical slap on the wrist. But he should have gotten his head blown off. He’s lucky the clerk reacted the way he did.

Dork B. on August 9, 2007 at 8:30 AM

The dude seemed wired on coke.

That’s what I was thinking. He forgot to put the shell in? When he came back for the gun and jumped over the counter I was thinking WTF?, does he want to get shot? Then I remembered the coke and figured he forgot that he remembered to put the shell in, and thought he was coming back for an empty gun. He really was that stupid, as we see later. Who robs a store driving a car that wasn’t stolen?

smellthecoffee on August 9, 2007 at 10:13 AM

It was pretty big of him to not shoot when he had the opportunity.

Dusty on August 8, 2007 at 10:25 PM

He nearly lost his life because he didn’t shoot when he had the opportunity. It’s “cruel pity.”

Kralizec on August 9, 2007 at 10:25 AM

Didn’t look like the clerk had a clean shot at the perp.

But the clerk should have grabbed his cell phone and chased the robber outside (with the robber’s gun), just to make sure the perp had fled.

Perp will die in prison for being crazy fearless.

profitsbeard on August 9, 2007 at 11:53 AM

I have never killed anyone, and I do not look forward to any situation where I might have to, but that store clerk most definately should have pulled the trigger and blow that crook’s head off of his shoulders.

After all, what was to prevent the crook from killing the store clerk after he got the money? It has been known to happen, whether the crook was disguised, or not.

The False Dervish on August 9, 2007 at 12:50 PM

It the clerk couldn’t shoot the robber, why didn’t he wrap the shotgun over his head. Even if the weapon wasn’t loaded id would do some serious damage.

mcgilvra on August 9, 2007 at 1:53 PM

Christoph on August 9, 2007 at 5:45 AM

This is a common knee-jerk answer that again, coddles the criminal and invites this sort of urban terrorism. Why did this perp believe a score of a few hundred bucks was worth a possible robbery conviction? Because he believed his arrest was unlikely and, if caught, the punishment threat was not severe enough to deter him.

A perp that knew he is in effect DEAD the day he initiates a gun aided crime would face a real deterrence, knowing that all society would be turned loose to accomplish his/her demise. The perp should know he’s fair game to be killed by anyone without hesitation – cop, employee, customer – during a robbery incident. The mere display of a gun by a perp, for example, should fully entitle a concealed carry customer to shoot the perp without warning. The perp should know with confidence that when caught he will be tried, found guilty and executed. No hesitation to defend by victims or witnesses or police officers, no worry about the manner or severity of the defense, no need to provide audible warnings in multiple tongues, no hand wringing over penalties, just plain old defensive justice.

But our feeble society instead is into nebulous “feelings” and ethereal criminal rights, so we will continue to see these haunting images of gun packing demons in our midst. Sometimes killing or maiming their victims on video, sometimes just inflicting emotional scars that will never go away. But – heavens no – we can’t react too harshly or they’ll turn into real killers by necessity.

Hogwash.

I am alive today because I reacted with an adrenalin-fueled rage that beat my attacker into a coma, cracked open his skull and scared his colleagues into retreat. It is shameful that Mr. Alam’s worries for his family, should his response to the attack be later viewed as excessive, influenced his reactions. Hesitation in my episode would have been fatal, and Mr. Alam should not have wasted a micro second worrying about his reactions.

The police enjoy a level of protection that unarmed citizens do not. A perp approaching a cop with a drawn gun does not need to fire it to be shot dead by the officer. The perp’s threat of deadly force is enough justification to end his life to save the officer, and that’s why so few perps draw on cops. They know it is suicide.

The general public deserves the same level of deterrence.

T J Green on August 9, 2007 at 2:23 PM

See, Religion of peace

Drtuddle on August 9, 2007 at 3:10 PM

Nice move for the shotgun. It’s usually a bad idea to shoot a fleeing suspect in the back. Especially when that would constitute the first wound. If I were already wounded, “uncle” won’t cut it – I’m shooting. If suspect returns , same thing. Any reasonable person would know what that means.

I got my CCW license this summer. Carriers have to be careful. My firearm is for My family’s protection, not necessarily everyone in my surroundings, (strangers). In those situations I’ll call 911 and try to be a good witness if at all possible. I would absolutely let the robbery occur and hope no shots get fired while calling police, even if I can’t talk out loud.

If he shot the clerk and came in my direction I’d hope to already have him lined up.

Buck Turgidson on August 9, 2007 at 8:59 PM