Video: Number 756, from four rows away

posted at 11:10 pm on August 8, 2007 by Allahpundit

The right place at the right time. It’s a good 80 seconds too long and you can’t make out the pitch, but that shot of the money ball arcing right at the camera is gorgeous. Given everything that had to happen to make this moment possible, the result is the video equivalent of winning the lottery.

The burst of flashbulbs as the pitch is delivered seems almost like a premonition.

Update: Read this after you watch.

Comments

Nice. Is there anything cooler than a stadium flashing with the lights of thousands of cameras? So cool.

Spirit of 1776 on August 8, 2007 at 11:15 PM

I hope BlendTec buys the stupid ball and annihilates it, Bonds is a juiced-up fraud.

Bad Candy on August 8, 2007 at 11:15 PM

There is no way this guy could have held the camera that high to catch the action as he did! He must be on something?

I agree..Great shot of the ball leaving the field!

186k on August 8, 2007 at 11:26 PM

Does that ball have an asterisk-like scar on it?

profitsbeard on August 8, 2007 at 11:33 PM

I saw both homers 715 and 755 in person. I feel very lucky, but not as lucky as the guys who caught those balls obviously. Go Giants!

The Sinner on August 8, 2007 at 11:36 PM

Something to tell the grandkids, though.

Spirit of 1776 on August 8, 2007 at 11:38 PM

Damn, them juiced up homers get outta there in a hurry.

infidel4life on August 8, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Wow. What a hero.

Jaibones on August 8, 2007 at 11:50 PM

RE: the audio, they sound like a bunch of orgasmic apes.

I’ve seen plenty of big home runs in person, none sounded quite like that.

infidel4life on August 8, 2007 at 11:54 PM

Wow. What a hero.

Jaibones on August 8, 2007 at 11:50 PM

Is Anderson the same guy Costas had on HBO’s real sports? If so, he already spilled the beans on the show. He said Barry didn’t cheat because baseball didn’t have rules on the drugs yet, but Barry and he both know most of those home runs came from the juice.

Barry still claims hard work in deforming and enlarging his head among other body parts.

sunny on August 9, 2007 at 12:28 AM

Baseball…zzzzzzzzzz

SouthernGent on August 9, 2007 at 12:33 AM

Does that ball have an asterisk-like scar on it?

profitsbeard on August 8, 2007 at 11:33 PM

I lol’d.

Nonfactor on August 9, 2007 at 1:02 AM

RE: the audio, they sound like a bunch of orgasmic apes.

infidel4life on August 8, 2007 at 11:54 PM

Personally I try not to get that close to them.

- The Cat

MirCat on August 9, 2007 at 1:08 AM

I haven’t been this underwhelmed since Ben Jonson ran a Gold medal winning 9.79 at the 1988 Olympics.

Great video though. Somebody should splice it with shots of Ivan Drago getting juiced up in Rocky IV.

Professor Blather on August 9, 2007 at 1:14 AM

If I caught the ball, I’d paint asterisks all over it in indelible ink and then donate it to the Hall of Fame.

Mallard T. Drake on August 9, 2007 at 1:28 AM

To me he will always be remembered as the “Ghost of October”

Zaire67 on August 9, 2007 at 2:09 AM

Thank you for the link to the pitcher. It’s good to know there are still decent people out there.

yggdrasil on August 9, 2007 at 3:09 AM

Pretty good article on the Bacsik. Sounds like a pretty cool guy.

nailinmyeye on August 9, 2007 at 5:06 AM

…Bonds is a juiced-up fraud…
…Does that ball have an asterisk-like scar on it?…
…If I caught the ball, I’d paint asterisks all over it in indelible ink and then donate it to the Hall of Fame…

That’s funny, I don’t remember folks saying this stuff about Mark McGwire during his home run chase with Sammy Sosa. What’s the difference?
Plus, why do people think he has a “frosty” personality just because the press tells you so. It’s the press that doesn’t like him ’cause he calls them on their BS, so they badmouth him, ala Charles Barkley.
A ball hit over the fence is a ball hit over the fence.

harrison on August 9, 2007 at 6:46 AM

Modern chemistry and the human body. When I think if Babe Ruth ingested HGH instead of hot dogs and Hammerin Hank Aaron had his body juiced how many HRs they would have had.

An average 2.9 million dollar salaries. Steroids. Long boring games. Hey! “Baseball has been very, very good to me.”

Whenever I have four hours to kill, I always choose a boring baseball game.

saved on August 9, 2007 at 6:55 AM

–Bad Candy on August 8, 2007 at 11:15 PM

BDS – Bonds Derangement Syndrome…Sound familiar?

The whole “scandal” if that’s what it is, is nothing more than a controversy created by sanctimonious little weasel “journalists” who think that Barry Bonds should’ve knelt on one knee and kissed their ring.

Well, Barry Bonds didn’t do that, and nothing pisses off a “journalist” more, than someone who doesn’t pay his respects…Therefore, he needs to be forced to run a gauntlet of outright lies, baseless accusations, and innuendo.

To compound that, attention-whore politicians buy into the “controversy” and hold “investigations” obstensibly to “get to the bottom of things” but in reality, do nothing more than get their names in print, the way they always do.

Even “journalists” who are sympathetic to Barry Bonds and this media generated nightmare, have the utter BALLS to blame him for his OWN misfortune.

Most “fans” of sports don’t have a CLUE about what it takes to play at the major league level – nevermind, what it takes to absolutely ACCELL.

While Barry Bonds is in the weight-room, doing endless repetitions, straining his aging muscles and joints 8 hours a day, scum-bag “journalists” are sitting at a bar, drinking martinis, and congratulating themselves on how fucking clever they are…The way they always do.

Barry Bonds has earned his place in history…The “astericks” should be tattooed on the foreheads of these pius-bastard “journalists” and fat-assed, self-serving politicians.

franksalterego on August 9, 2007 at 7:21 AM

–Bad Candy on August 8, 2007 at 11:15 PM

BDS – Bonds Derangement Syndrome…Sound familiar?

While Barry Bonds is in the weight-room, doing endless repetitions, straining his aging muscles and joints 8 hours a day, scum-bag “journalists” are sitting at a bar, drinking martinis, and congratulating themselves on how f**king clever they are…The way they always do.

franksalterego on August 9, 2007 at 7:26 AM

Let’s face it: If Bonds weren’t such a total schmuck as a human being, people would be more inclined to forgive him.

Nice article about Bacsik.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 9, 2007 at 7:38 AM

See what happens, when you can’t preview your comment.

heh

franksalterego on August 9, 2007 at 7:50 AM

harrison on August 9, 2007 at 6:46 AM

Yeah, McGuire was a damn fraud too, the only difference is Bonds got caught before he broke the record. They both suck.

Bad Candy on August 9, 2007 at 8:24 AM

Its kind of disturbing how some people are pointing out bad behavior to excuse more bad behavior.

EnochCain on August 9, 2007 at 8:25 AM

The real villian here in MLB, they knew this was going on, but with a wink and a nudge they ignored it. Baseball was in the crapper after the strike, and low and behold you have people hitting homeruns like there is no tomorrow, as the fans streamed back into the stadiums, saving baseball. As for Bonds, your production tends to fall off as you get older not shoot up dramatically as you age. He is a cheater and an arrogant fool. Babe Ruth set his record drinking beer and eating hot dogs in the dugout during games. Hank Aaron, he was just great ball player, who put up with alot of crap to break the record.

deadbackpacker on August 9, 2007 at 8:59 AM

I’ve always thought that the majority of athletes* (much like most actors and singers) are self centered jerks. So Bonds just fits in with the rest of them. While it is pretty impressive, the 756 homers, he’s still a jerk. Who allegedly does the “juice.”

* Disclaimer: I’m certain there are exceptions to this rule. Honestly, I don’t really care.

mjk on August 9, 2007 at 9:00 AM

If I had been there and caught that ball, I would have whipped out a magic marker, made an asterisk on the ball, and thrown it back.

Bigfoot on August 9, 2007 at 9:18 AM

So, I’m sittin’ here yesterday, watchin’ FOXNews, when some little pissweasel “journalist” from the San Francisco Chronicle is loudly proclaiming:

“His skull is bigger…You can’t grow your skull, UNLESS you’re using steroids.”

I ’bout fell offa’ my chair laughin’.

I guess, this butt-wad has been taking a tape-measure to Barry’s head, day after day, and recording precise measurements…Too bad, he didn’t say how MUCH bigger it was…In fact, I’m willing to bet, he can’t count to one.

There are a bunch of fat-heads in this scenario…But, it sure as hell ain’t Barry.

franksalterego on August 9, 2007 at 9:40 AM

Heh. And shrinking a couple of others, if what I read about the effects of steroids is true.

smellthecoffee on August 9, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Baseball…zzzzzzzzzz

SouthernGent on August 9, 2007 at 12:33 AM

Baseball: 5 minutes of action crammed into 3 hours.

Kowboy on August 9, 2007 at 10:25 AM

Barry Bonds has earned his place in history

Hahaha, he sure has. Not in the way you think, though. At least players are getting off the juice now and HRs are way down. I almost feel bad for these guys, they are going to have some serious health problems. I feel worse for the high school and college kids who were messing up their bodies – all because the league wanted to get the fans back in the seats.

Accell(erate) your weight training through the use of steroids? Good one.

reaganaut on August 9, 2007 at 11:21 AM

franksalterego on August 9, 2007 at 7:26 AM

This is sarcasm … isn’t it?

Jaibones on August 9, 2007 at 12:31 PM

Because the allegations about McGwire’s ‘roid use came out AFTER he broke the single season record. I put McGwire and Bonds in the same cheating category.
And it’s not just the press that reports on Bonds’ “frosty” personality, it’s former players as well. Remember Jeff Kent? Read this and this for more insight.

RMCS_USN on August 9, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Ho-hum…I would be interested if Bonds was a man with class, humility and a clean record when it came to steroids. He can’t touch Hank Aaron or Tony Gwynn, for that matter.

Christine on August 9, 2007 at 1:24 PM

Remember Jeff Kent?

Heh. I wouldn’t use Kent as a character reference.

Spirit of 1776 on August 9, 2007 at 2:22 PM

I never respected baseball players.

They don’t even have to be in top condition to play at the highest level. Bonds gets winded running the bases after a juice-assisted homer.

Zach on August 9, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Barry Bonds, the owner of the Giants (all the owners really) and the commissioner of baseball all just taught a new generation of kids that it is alright to cheat. Records mean nothing in baseball now, nor does personal honor and integrity. Just when I was getting the bad taste of the ’94 strike out of my mouth too.

srhoades on August 9, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Almost 20 years ago, I was in the old Arlington stadium the night Nolan Ryan threw his 5,000th strikeout.

Every pitch it was the same thing… flashbulbs popping off everywhere in the stands. It was pretty cool.

daveintexas on August 9, 2007 at 10:59 PM