Video: “To my dearest wife in Afghanistan”

posted at 6:01 pm on August 7, 2007 by Allahpundit

Via the Jawas, the husband of one of the South Korean hostages speaks. I’m curious to know why, and by whom, this was made. Presumably they’re not sending the video to the Taliban; it must be for domestic consumption, to pressure the South Korean government. Except there’s not much they can do: the Taliban says it’s willing to release the women hostages in exchange for women Afghan prisoners held at Bagram or in Kandahar. Are there any?

“If the Afghan government or the Americans agree to free any Afghan women they’ve jailed in (military bases in) Kandahar or Bagram, we’ll free the same number of female hostages,” Taliban spokesman Yousuf Ahmadi told AFP…

“We’re ready for such a deal. We don’t know how many women are in Bagram and Kandahar,” he said by phone from an unknown location.

The Afghan government said it was unaware of female prisoners with Taliban links, and a spokeswoman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force said it was not known if there were women held on those bases.

The South Korean ambassador to Afghanistan says some of the women are reportedly ill, but not “critically.” Yet.

Comments

Who put the dramatic soap opera music in this? This is pathetic.

Egfrow on August 7, 2007 at 6:08 PM

If you ever negotiate with terrorist you are guaranteed to kill more innocents.
Jumma Carter had a chance to end this form of terror once and for all but of course he did not.

TheSitRep on August 7, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Don’t negotiate with terrorists. Kill them and accept the collateral casualties as they are to reduce terrorism in the future.

Vicimus.

Christoph on August 7, 2007 at 6:12 PM

I imagine the Taliban must be holed up some place that’d be incredibly difficult to get a SEAL or Delta team into.

It’s unfortunate that her husband does not seem to share her Christian beliefs. Not that I have experienced anxiety to this degree, but I often find God to be a great comfort during times like this.

It does seem like some on the left are using these hostages like a political football too, which is pretty horrific.

apollyonbob on August 7, 2007 at 6:18 PM

This is simple exploitation.

PBoilermaker on August 7, 2007 at 6:19 PM

Man, I hope this turns out well. I think the video is worth trying, if not to pressure the gov’t, then to maybe shame the “serves them right” crowd in South Korea a bit.

Bad Candy on August 7, 2007 at 6:22 PM

But, but, but Islam teaches that women are to be respected, and a fierce holy warrior should not hide behind a woman’s skirt!!!

(Turns head to others whispering): Huh? What? Really? Oh.

That doesn’t apply to infidel women…sorry.

Andy in Agoura Hills on August 7, 2007 at 6:51 PM

I hope everything turns out okay for the remaining survivors.

But!

Who’s bright idea was it to band together 20-something S. Korean Christians, much less volunteer to go, and travel to Taliban country in the first place when S. Korea has troops there? Who even okayed their arrival and travel in-country?

…martyrdom, or war protest?

The whole thing stinks.

SilverStar830 on August 7, 2007 at 6:52 PM

SilverStar, it does.

They were brave to the point of being foolhardy. And now some/all or them are going to die/are dead.

It was predictable.

I wish them well. But I’m not willing to release enemies to buy their lives when all they will have then done is jeopardized the war effort.

Christoph on August 7, 2007 at 6:57 PM

Obviously, I could never get elected to office in South Korea, possibly because I don’t live there, and also because were I their president, I would immediately announce increased troop levels and make it clear that the South Korean response to our citizens being murdered would be with force.

I guess that would never fly among their electorate.

Christoph on August 7, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Unfortunately, they’re still at war with their neighbors to the north.

To put themselves in harms way, for the sake of religious compassion for the Afghan people, and not consider what grief would befall their families should any harm should happen to them, is not in anyway a righteous or charitable contribution to the Afghan people or to themselves.

The Taliban are murderous thugs. I can only hope things turn out well, but I’m not expecting it to be so.

Kini on August 7, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Christoph:
I wish “brave to the point of being foolhardy” described more Christians.

Philippians 1:18-21
What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice, for I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayers and the provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, according to my earnest expectation and hope, that I will not be put to shame in anything, but that with all boldness, Christ will even now, as always, be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

And while it may be hard to understand from a non-Christian perspective, these people were following the call of God. As a soldier must be willing to sacrifice for his country, many Christians (I wish more) are willing to sacrifice for God.

Please don’t act as though they were doing this without any consideration. I’m sure many of them prayed very hard before going into a warzone. And if their families are Christians, they may be more understanding than you’d think. I mean… certainly not all. But I’m sure many of the Christians in South Korea understand that missionary work can be dangerous. They send out many of them.

apollyonbob on August 7, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Sorry not all of that was meant for Christoph. The last half was meant for Kini :P

apollyonbob on August 7, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Thank you, apolly. That saved me a very long post.

Some of you guys have to be the most cynical conspiracy theorists on the planet to react the way you do to these events.

viking999 on August 7, 2007 at 7:54 PM

What a difference between Christians facing martyrdom and Muslims seeking martyrdom…

Blood Rock time anyone? It sure sounds like it is time to start returning the favors.

Tim Burton on August 7, 2007 at 8:01 PM

They were brave to the point of being foolhardy.

It’s only foolish if they think they have something to lose. If you have a confident faith in salvation, then risking ones life in a mission of mercy is not really foolish.

That music and the video quality is standard stuff for the Korean film industry, which is very popular in Japan and China as well. This mission seems perfectly suited to blend in to the themes for their shows for some time to come.

The Koreans and Chinese are getting ready to for the breakdown of communism, which will release millions more missionaries into the Arab world. Muslims may like their suicide bombers, but they’ve just met the Christian response: suicide nurses.

pedestrian on August 7, 2007 at 8:04 PM

“Death should not be feared. From a Christian perspective this is an opportunity to bear witness!”

Oh, p off, apollyonbob.

Everyone and his dog wants us to bend over backwards, make concessions, and release hard won prisoners to fight and kill good people again to save these peoples’ skins.

If they simply wanted to be martyrs for their faith, I would respect them no end. If they and their supporters through their fuzzy-headed non-thinking, want to set up things so other good people can die down the road in their stead while they go on breathing God’s sweet air, I have less respect.

They put themselves in harms way. Courageous, sure, but let’s see their courage hold.

Christoph on August 7, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Has this story been covered in a larger venue yet? Has OReilly covered it? I gave up on OReilly a couple of weeks ago, I got tired of the Pop Quiz, Body Language, Icon of the week, Paris Hiltion crap his been doing.

Irenaeus on August 7, 2007 at 8:35 PM

Yeah, Michelle covered it when she guest hosted Monday.

Bad Candy on August 7, 2007 at 10:10 PM

Christoph: I’m assuming you misunderstood me accidentally.

Nowhere did I say terrorist demands should be countenanced for even a second.

Make no mistake, my prayers for the hostages would involve the words “And kill every last terrorist involved”

Christians should not be demanding capitulation or negotiation to evil. Because they should not fear death. I’m not certain how else to phrase this to make it easier to understand.

And who the hell are these “fuzzy-headed supporters”? SPARK aint Christian. The husband that made that video, no offense, but I doubt he’s Christian. (He never mentioned God once. That’s more than a little telling.)

So I mean, if a Christian DOES say, “We should negotiate with terrorists for the lives of Christians” you should tell them “To live is Christ, to die is gain” because that’s pretty much it. Life is important, because you get a chance to bring Christ to others. Life is important, because the unsaved need a chance to receive Christ. But death means life eternal with Christ. So that verse is saying, and as the chapter goes on to say, life is important, and valuable, but if God says it’s your time, then yay.

I hope that my position is more clear now. Once again, I am not saying we should negotiate. We should kill terrorists. Again, terrorists need to die, prisoners should not be traded.

apollyonbob on August 7, 2007 at 10:23 PM

apollyonbob, I meant “p off” in the mildest possibly way, almost humorously, but perhaps not quite… I’m capable of using the full version and chose this variant on purpose!

Thanks for clarifying with your expanded comment. I agree with most of it.

Anyway, I am not in a position to tell Christians how they should die. Only that I won’t accommodate their choosing to endanger others through reckless actions.

Yes, if possible, we should absolutely rescue these foolhardy people — although we could hardly guarantee their safety in the attempt and that is truly unfortunate. I admire their courage by heading to their hardly unpredictable doom to do good works.

Just that I won’t simultaneously agree with the assumptions they are courageous martyrs and we should release killers to free them. They are mutually exclusive positions.

Wanna be a martyr? Well, you’re in good company historically speaking. I admire you even while I choose not to emulate you. Wanna beg for your life and the lives of your family? That’s understandable too. Completely.

But you lose respect for the former when you do the latter.

I pray they all come home safe and sound and, if not, their spirits are rewarded for their pure actions and faith.

Christoph on August 7, 2007 at 10:46 PM

I hope that through all of this, perhaps one terrorist will see Christ’s love for them. I am sure some scoff at this thought, but the only way to ever change the hearts and minds of terrorists is through Christ. I am praying for these beautiful Christian hostages, that they will remain true to Christ, and share Him well.

Trtle2001 on August 8, 2007 at 12:38 PM