Grahamnesty censured by SC county’s Republican party; Update: Grahamnesty poses with Obama/Osama sign

posted at 4:12 pm on August 7, 2007 by Allahpundit

Awesome. I’ll bet he never thought that chum he tossed at La Raza would get picked up and played back home, eh?

Sen. Lindsey Graham defended his conservative credentials today in the wake of Monday night’s censure by the Greenville County Republican Executive Committee.

The panel, made of representatives from each of the county’s precincts, censured Graham for continuing “to adamantly support legalization of illegal immigrants in spite of” thousands of communications of “strong opposition” from local grassroots Republicans…

Samuel Harms, county GOP chairman, said told The Greenville News the Graham resolution “shows that the grassroots conservative activists of the party are thoroughly fed up with Lindsey Graham and his statements that we are bigots who will be told to shut up because we do not support amnesty for illegal immigrants.”…

Harms predicted that the videotape of the comment “is going to haunt” Graham if a serious primary challenger emerges next year.

A serious primary challenger was set to emerge before he got busted for blow. As it is, there’s only one man who can save us. And I don’t think he’s ready to answer the bell.

Speaking of pro-amnesty Republicans whom the grassroots hate, here’s Rudy offering an endorsement apropos of nothing that he really would have been better off keeping to himself.

Comments

McCain’s not terrible. Granted, I hate his position on immigration. But, he’s never been afraid to support the war in Iraq, despite its unpopularity.

amerpundit on August 7, 2007 at 4:19 PM

This explains why I received this today:

Dear Friend:

I know from our previous communication that you are greatly concerned about immigration reform and the impact illegal immigrants are having on our nation. There is no doubt that we must get a handle on this pressing problem.

While the comprehensive approach to reforming our nation’s broken immigration system failed in the Senate last month, the problems posed by illegal immigration have not gone away. There remain at least half a dozen major changes in policy we have to make as a nation to get the problems of illegal immigration under control.

I am pleased to report last week our nation took a major step forward in securing our nation’s borders. We began the process of addressing our illegal immigration problem one piece at-a-time. The Senate, by a vote of 89-1, accepted an amendment I introduced to spend $3 billion on Border Security and Interior Enforcement.

Many of these provisions were contained in the Senate immigration bill as well as the Graham-Kyl-Martinez amendment which were debated last month.

My proposal — the Graham Amendment — provides and requires:

The U.S. government to establish and demonstrate operational control over 100 percent of the international land and maritime borders between the U.S. and Mexico .

Funding to construct the 700 miles of fencing required by the Secure Fence Act.

Funding for the hiring, training, and placing on duty 23,000 Customs and Border Patrol agents.

Permanently ends ‘Catch and Release’ by providing the resources necessary to detain up to 45,000 aliens per day.

Funding for 300 miles of vehicle barriers at the border.

Funding for 105 ground-based radar and camera towers.

Funding for the deployment of 4 unmanned aerial vehicles at the border.

Funding to handle the deportation of absconders and visa overstays.

In the age of terrorism, regaining operational control of our nation’s borders is a national security issue of the highest order. We need more boots on the ground, more miles of fencing, better technology which acts as a force multiplier, additional detention beds, and unmanned vehicles. The Graham Amendment provides funding for these important and much-needed changes in federal policy.

‘Operational control’ is a military term, and I look at this effort to secure our border as a military operation. The vote on my amendment shows a seriousness and commitment to border security that our nation has lacked for some time.

But I also want to be clear, more work remains to be done to get a handle on our nation’s illegal immigration problems. We still need a more robust Electronic Employee Verification System (EEVS), a visa tracking system, a merit-based immigration system, assimilation programs to ensure people learn English, a method to ensure everyone is paying taxes, a temporary guest worker program for people who want to come here, make money and return to their home country, and other changes.

The Graham Amendment on Border Security and Interior Enforcement is a solid first step on immigration reform. It also marks the beginning of what I expect will be a longer, more drawn out effort to reform our nation’s immigration policies.

Thank you again for the opportunity to share this latest information with you. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this and other important issues facing our nation.

Sincerely,

Lindsey Graham

U.S. Senator

TheBigOldDog on August 7, 2007 at 4:25 PM

I’ll trade you Voinivich. But PA can keep Spector no deal

William Amos on August 7, 2007 at 4:34 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 7, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Now that’s funny stuff. Odd after all the e-mails I sent him in the last couple months he doesn’t send me anything anymore. Yet I get monthly updates from Demint, hmmmm.

Oh, and I don’t think Sanford is going to run for the Senate. If he could get some name recognition, he may be a presidential candidate in the future.

sunny on August 7, 2007 at 4:36 PM

It is time for conservatives to get organized now.

Mr. Graham-amnesty, actions are more important than words.

ColtsFan on August 7, 2007 at 4:37 PM

I still think fred? ought to move to SC and run for Graham’s seat. He’d be perfect for it.

csdeven on August 7, 2007 at 4:44 PM

Awesome indeed.

Clark1 on August 7, 2007 at 4:48 PM

I’d like to see Mark Steele on someones ticket.

TheSitRep on August 7, 2007 at 4:55 PM

The only bigots that will be told to shut up are La Raza and their flunkies such as you Lindsey Graham.

Mojack420 on August 7, 2007 at 4:55 PM

It just begs the question what was Graham thinking when he pushed so hard for something his constituents were in screaming opposition to?
And, what did he have to gain from his actions? Clearly, things didn’t work out the way he thought they would, but what was in it for him in the first place?

Babs on August 7, 2007 at 4:56 PM

Hey, TBOD, I got the same email today. Laughed out loud and then deleted it. I think Gov. Sanford will run for a second term and then maybe look national. And finally, cs, what have you got against our fair state? Considering your Fredanoia I’m insulted.

KelliD on August 7, 2007 at 4:57 PM

amerpundit on August 7, 2007 at 4:19 PM

McCain’s great on the war, but what else has he been good for? Seriously…I’m confused.

There’s a reason he’s essentially in negative territory in the polls.

urbancenturion on August 7, 2007 at 5:04 PM

Good for them, but they forgot to censure Jorge Arbusto.

MB4 on August 7, 2007 at 5:05 PM

Just heard on local radio that two illegals have just been arrested for murdering a 15 year old girl. The legal system (including ICE it sounds like) had contact with at least one of them but let him stay.

MB4 on August 7, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Watching McCain, Kyl, Spector etal. scramble to keep their jobs after the ShAmnesty flopped is fun. We bent them to our will but I honestly can’t help wondering if this is the right time for a purge.

Do we ship the dog off for that last Vet visit just after we finally got him trained? Has he finally stopped digging holes under the fence to let all the other dogs in our yard or will he go back to those bad habits as soon as our backs are turned?

Buzzy on August 7, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Good for the Greenville County Republican Executive Committee… good for them!

Now if only the rest of the Republican party had the cajones to censure the remaining Republican advocates of crime and criminals.

SilverStar830 on August 7, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Awesome, indeed. Can I censure him too? How about a torrent of vituperation? I’m all about the vituperation. Partly because it sounds naughty.

ReubenJCogburn on August 7, 2007 at 5:14 PM

I’m all about the vituperation. Partly because it sounds naughty.

ReubenJCogburn on August 7, 2007 at 5:14 PM

It’s not nearly as naughty as backbiting… woo-hoo!

SilverStar830 on August 7, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Buzzy on August 7, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Good point. I have always looked at politicians as a product and the electorate as their consumers. If a company puts out a defective product but then makes it right, I will stay a customer. But I will be keeping a closer eye on them in the future.

Harpoon on August 7, 2007 at 5:44 PM

It’s not nearly as naughty as backbiting… woo-hoo!

SilverStar830 on August 7, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Marv Albert on August 7, 2007 at 5:30 PM

Bad Candy on August 7, 2007 at 5:46 PM

It’s not nearly as naughty as backbiting… woo-hoo!

SilverStar830 on August 7, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Heh. I’m a firm believer in responding to backbiting with effrontery.

ReubenJCogburn on August 7, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Buzzy,

I love a good metaphor.

pocomoco on August 7, 2007 at 5:56 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 7, 2007 at 4:25 PM

I got that mess, too. Couldn’t figure out why until I saw this post. What an odd coincidence!

Jaibones on August 7, 2007 at 6:02 PM

KelliD on August 7, 2007 at 4:57 PM

:-) I didn’t look at it that way. I just figured the senate was the only position he can ever hope to be qualified for.

csdeven on August 7, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Buzzy on August 7, 2007 at 5:11 PM

For Graham-amnesty, the answer is the latter. He has already demonstrated his true liberal colors repeatedly.

Graham-amnesty will easily return to his bad habits.

What about John Kyl of Arizona? I am not sure.

ColtsFan on August 7, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Jorge Arbusto – took me a second. Good one!

Sergei on August 7, 2007 at 6:22 PM

Don’t mess with the Republicans in the counties of Greenville, Lexington, Pickens, Aiken, Horry, or Spartanburg in South Carolina (just to name a few)!

South Carolina’s redemption drighs nigh!

SouthernGent on August 7, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Heh. I’m a firm believer in responding to backbiting with effrontery.

ReubenJCogburn on August 7, 2007 at 5:46 PM

That temerity takes some brass balls

(ooooh somebody stop meee!)

SilverStar830 on August 7, 2007 at 6:37 PM

by Allahpundit …………………………… Update: I join with my nutroots brothers in condemning this and call for Grahamnesty’s immediate resignation.

Uh yeah me too!

sonnyspats1 on August 7, 2007 at 7:17 PM

As it is, there’s only one man who can save us.

for a second i thought you meant that Ron! was going to run…

its vintage duh on August 7, 2007 at 7:40 PM

here are some links to support the removal of the alleged senator from S.C. Sen Grahmnesty at the next election

http://Defeat Lindsey Graham

http://Replace Lindsey.com

http://Dump Lindsey.org

http://Bigots Unite

daddee02004 on August 7, 2007 at 9:20 PM

I’d vote the drugger over the traitor any day.

oldernslower on August 7, 2007 at 9:50 PM

That sign sure is making the rounds. Maybe Silky’s Mrs. could be next. Coming on the heels of today’s http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

PowWow on August 7, 2007 at 11:12 PM

Srory that didn’t work right Should say comment there. But the link is valid

PowWow on August 7, 2007 at 11:14 PM

What an embarrassment. I feel for his state’s citizenry.

itzWicks on August 8, 2007 at 1:30 AM

Senator Goober has stopped eating at Taco Bell just to prove he has had a change of heart.

saved on August 8, 2007 at 7:07 AM

I was driving back to Virginia from South Carolina YESTERDAY while all this was going public. I heard about it LATE LATE MONDAY night, and where was I? On some back country road with my craptop 467 miles away. On DIAL-UP.

MAN, I hated missing this scoop.

VACATIONS SUCK.