Our crap politics: GOP says it won House vote, Dems say it didn’t; Update: Cantor unloads

posted at 9:31 am on August 3, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’m lifting the video from K-Lo so I’ll send you over there to find out what happened. Outrageously outrageous! — I think. There seems to be no proof of what the tally actually was when the gavel came down.

You’ll find the three votes at the top of the page here. 814 is the disputed one; 815 and 816, which took place after the Republican walkout, each passed with enough Democrats to win a majority. So assuming the GOP is right in calling shenanigans, wouldn’t they have lost anyway on a motion to reconsider or a vote to repeal or whatever the procedure is for undoing amendments when you know you have enough votes to undo them?

In that case, though, why didn’t Hoyer go that route? Why the tomfoolery with the procedure on 814? 814 was a measure to send the bill back to committee, where the GOP planned to add language denying agricultural benefits to illegal immigrants. Presumably Hoyer didn’t want that to come to the floor where he’d have to try to defeat it, so he was trying here to stop the bill from going back to committee in the first place. Which brings us back to square one: Why didn’t he just offer a motion to reconsider and stop it that way?

There’s some procedural nuance I’m missing here, obviously, but we all just want to watch the video so let’s watch it.

Update: Another lift from K-Lo. Surrrrre would be nice if Eric Cantor added us to his e-mailing list.

Here he is this morning going off on the Democrats. He mentions an apology from the congressman from New York, i.e., Mike McNulty, who held the gavel last night during the contentious vote, but I can’t find anything about it on the wires.

Update: Here’s the whole sordid story from David Freddoso. I’m guessing that there’s some rule that prevents a motion to reconsider after a vote like this one. Otherwise I still don’t understand why Hoyer didn’t simply let the vote past and then move to re-vote.

Update: A little more from the Hill about McNulty’s apology:

McNulty took to the floor Friday morning to apologize for his action.

“I want to express regret that I gaveled the vote too early,” McNulty said and apologized for his role in the confusion that rocked the House floor last night.

McNulty gaveled the motion to recommit closed at 214 to 214, when the final vote tally on the board was 213 to 215 after Florida Republican Reps. Mario Diaz Balart, Lincoln Diaz Balart and Ileana Ros-Lehtinen changed their votes from a “no” to a “yes.”

“We went to the front of the House [to change our votes],”Rep. Mario Diaz Balart said, adding that the board had changed to the count of 213 to 215 in favor of the motion to recommit, and that the gavel went down but McNulty hadn’t seen the change.

“It stayed there for several minutes …then the votes started to change again,” he said, causing the vote to flip. “That’s when there was the meltdown.”

Comments

The Democrats are desperate and their attempts to show themselves off as leaders fails time and time again. How humiliating having these people running our government. If they can’t cheat, they can’t win.

katieanne on August 3, 2007 at 9:35 AM

Our crap politics:

Says it all.

Bad Candy on August 3, 2007 at 9:41 AM

The Democrat Party is a joke. Does Steny Hoyer actually wear a kangaroo suit when they’re in session?

Jaibones on August 3, 2007 at 9:42 AM

The Onion should put their logo in the video so we won’t confuse this with normal operation of our great government.

TunaTalon on August 3, 2007 at 9:44 AM

If their ballot box stuffing don’t work they scream “the election is stolen”.

Gop’ers are from Mars.
DNC’ers are from __________.

fill in the blank

TheSitRep on August 3, 2007 at 9:45 AM

This stuff is viewable on C-span by the world. It’s no wonder our enemies see us as immoral and effete.

TheSitRep on August 3, 2007 at 9:48 AM

A Washington source writes:

An outrage was committed on the House floor tonight. I still can’t quite believe what happened.
While voting on a motion to recommit for the agricultural appropriations legislation, the presiding chair (who is a Democrat member) gaveled the vote closed. The tally was clear and the vote was over. The Republicans had won. Then, realizing what had happened – the Dems allowed just their people to keep voting to change the result. Let’s be clear, this wasn’t holding the vote open – they changed the results of a vote that was legally declared over.

Rep. Eric Cantor wrote a blog post describing what happened.

This is an insult to our democracy, something that Stalin would recognize. It is an unprecedented violation of our democracy that can not be allowed to stand. Do we live in a democracy or a dictatorship?

And, what was so important that the Dems went to all this trouble — it was a vote to ensure that illegal immigrants couldn’t get taxpayer funding in the agriculture bill. The Dems are so opposed to this, that they would violate our democracy.

We need to spread the word. The American People need to know what is happening in their government.

As Drudge would say–Developing…

UPDATE: Politico has more. It appears that the Democrats have expunged the vote that Republicans say they (the Republicans) won from the record of House proceedings.

katieanne on August 3, 2007 at 9:50 AM

If their ballot box stuffing don’t work they scream “the election is stolen”.

Gop’ers are from Mars.
DNC’ers are from __________.

Uranus

conservnut on August 3, 2007 at 9:51 AM

I guess this is how Nancy runs her corrupt House. Her contempt for the intelligence of the American people is astounding. I guess she thinks we won’t understand what happened.

katieanne on August 3, 2007 at 9:51 AM

TheSitRep on August 3, 2007 at 9:48 AM

I don’t know. I reckon this kind of stuff happens in all legislative bodies, has done for time immemorial, and will do for time everlasting. I think the world just winces and nods in recognition.

RushBaby on August 3, 2007 at 9:53 AM

The most ethical Congress ever!

If the Republicans had done this…

WisCon on August 3, 2007 at 9:55 AM

STOP THE CRAP POLITICS HEADLINES.

It is still the best thing going in the world. It also sounds like frustration. Are you getting tired?. Worn out?

Then they have already won.

Agrippa2k on August 3, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Gop’ers are from Mars.
DNC’ers are from __________.

fill in the blank

TheSitRep on August 3, 2007 at 9:45 AM

Clenis.

James on August 3, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Can Congress’ approval rating dip into the single digits? Changing votes to give Illegal Aliens taxpayer funded benefits?

I THINK IT CAN!!! Si se puede.

BTW – DfD = Democrats for Deportation

DfDeportation on August 3, 2007 at 10:06 AM

This congress is an absolute joke!!!

DCJeff on August 3, 2007 at 10:11 AM

Is this the same party that forever chants Bush stole the election from Gore in ’00 and if it wasn’t for the Diebold voting machines Kerry would have won in ’04.

I’m surprised the Dems could muster enough votes to get their way, what with all of them so F’in busy conducting hearings to investigate the corruption of Republicans.

fogw on August 3, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Sounds like whoever was chair at the time was an idiot.

There are stupid people in congress? Well knock me over with a feather!

e-pirate on August 3, 2007 at 10:22 AM

CSPAN is real entertaining this morning. Glad I am working from home. They sound at times like a riot is breaking out.

LakeRuins on August 3, 2007 at 10:33 AM

They are showing what occurred last night right now on CSPAN kewl.

LakeRuins on August 3, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Where’s Nancy? We want Nancy!! BWahahahahaha

DfDeportation on August 3, 2007 at 10:41 AM

This is the Party of JFK and FDR? Sure looks different today.

DfDeportation on August 3, 2007 at 10:45 AM

Washington D. C. doesn’t house a government . . . it houses a den of liars, thieves and crooks. This poor country is sick, sick, sick.

rplat on August 3, 2007 at 10:55 AM

STOP THE CRAP POLITICS HEADLINES.

It’s still crap, it might smell better than others, but it is what it is.

Then they have already won.

Who is they? The politicians? They have won a long time ago. Things run well in this country when the government stays out of it.

Things run well despite the crap that goes on in Washington DC.

reaganaut on August 3, 2007 at 10:57 AM

And these are the same people who criticize the Iraqi government?????

LakeRuins on August 3, 2007 at 11:01 AM

Hey that’s my dipshit Congressman in the Chair. He’s a good party boy and will do and say whatever he’s told. If I find anything locally, I’ll let you know.

Drew on August 3, 2007 at 11:06 AM

Some real curious comments over at DU.
Sample:

1. Lovely. Welcome to the Philippines.

Christ, we sink lower and lower. We won’t be happy until we start fist fights on the floor of the House.

LakeRuins on August 3, 2007 at 11:09 AM

So Nancy is trying to get taxpayer dollars to pay for benefits to the Illegal Aliens that are working in her vineyards. Beeeeeeeeeautiiiiiiiiful!!!

DfDeportation on August 3, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Get Maxine Waters in there!! She’ll restore order!!

BWahahahahaha………….

DfDeportation on August 3, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Mike Pence addressing the media right now. Bill included food Stamps for illegal immigrants.
Your tax dollars at work.

LakeRuins on August 3, 2007 at 11:19 AM

The New Direction Democrats are correctly characterized as RADICAL! As a Moderate Democrat, I’ve been told, point blank, that there is no room for voters like myself in their Party. WOW! A Democrat of 29 years, KICKED TO THE CURB!!!!

DfDeportation on August 3, 2007 at 11:31 AM

What we need now is to hear from Obama and Clinton.

DfDeportation on August 3, 2007 at 11:33 AM

“You can’t UN-STRIKE the gavel.” – M. Pence

“The vote was CLOSED” – j. Hensarling

“The vote PREVAILED, the GAVEL FELL.” – M. Pence

This is amazing!!!!

DfDeportation on August 3, 2007 at 11:39 AM

Let’s hear from Lucille Roybal-Allard. Why doesn’t anybody ever get her on camera?

DfDeportation on August 3, 2007 at 11:42 AM

I think we’re seeing what has actually been going on for a looooong time. Only now, in this information-age, it’s immediately *out there* for all to see and hear.

What really gripes me is that I’m sure legal US Citizens would love to have these same benefits!!! We must have tons of $$ if we have enough to give to those who aren’t even US!

jatfla on August 3, 2007 at 11:48 AM

The Demoncrats do such a fine job of cleaning up congress. I can’t even imagine what kind of job they could do with a like minded president. The very thought has me wanting to build battlements in my yard.

Kowboy on August 3, 2007 at 11:48 AM

If they are illegal and apply for services are they still hiding in the shadows?
And would they be able to pick them up and deport them when they walk in to file for services?
I’m just waking up out west and my caffin to blood ratio is still a bit low, I am sure I will be really pissed off about this in say 20-30 minutes.

Mojack420 on August 3, 2007 at 11:54 AM

Where do we buy those bomb shelters that were popular in the past? Or…..lock and load?

Being sold out by our ‘leaders,’ might require citizenship in one country, bank accounts in another, and live in a third. Thank God for silver and gold coins.

mustang1 on August 3, 2007 at 12:08 PM

McNulty “takes the sword” for THE NEW DIRECTION DEMOCRATS!

What a trooper!!

Where in the hell is Nancy????????

DfDeportation on August 3, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Boehner says there are people on both sides of the aisle that would rather fight all day. Just who of the NEW DIRECTION DEMOCRATS wants to get on camera and justify what has happened? Who? Speak up!!!

DfDeportation on August 3, 2007 at 12:19 PM

I love it!! The most ethical Congress evah a) shows just how corrupt it is, and b) can’t get out of it’s own damn way. You can’t buy entertainment this good!

The best thing coming out of it is that finally the GOP seems to be standing up for itself.

crazy_legs on August 3, 2007 at 12:25 PM

I saw an interview by Pelosi on the first 8 months as Speaker and it was appalling. She is nothing more than a mouthpiece saying whatever you want to hear.

The guy asked her about Congress’ poll disapproval rating (after she railed on the Bush polls), she commented that ‘We don’t legislate on polls’. But without taking a breath she said that the Democrats were doing much better in POLLS in favorability (she said double digit lead). So much for polls not meaning anything to her. They only mean something if they help her case.

Then the interviewer said so you mostly consider yourself a leader of the Democrats in the House. And she responded indignantly with ‘no, I’m the Speaker of the entire House’. What a tool. Ethical compared to WHAT?!

I’m always leary of those who have to tell you how good they are. If someone is good, or they do something good, they don’t need to harp on it themselves all the time. Pelosi was talking about everything the Congress has done as ‘historic’. I said before. . . what a tool!

ThackerAgency on August 3, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Nancy was getting a face stretch facial while her cohorts stretched the rules. These people have no shame.

SouthernGent on August 3, 2007 at 12:28 PM

So, it’s not an Onion satire, it’s real.

The writers at the Onion will be hard pressed to make satire more absurb than the sureal from C-Span.

TunaTalon on August 3, 2007 at 12:33 PM

This is just the way Dems run things. Even our City-County Council here in Indy does this sort of stuff. Last week they voted to raise income taxes (after everyone is already up in arms about property taxes). Several of the council members are firemen who would benefit from the higher taxes because the revenue would go to pay raises – they voted anyway, whereas the Republican firefighter abstained. In addition, the head of the Council arbitrarily cut off debate and demanded a vote, and refused to allow discussion.

Note: It’s too bad I’m lazy. I saw this story this morning and could have scooped everyone. Oh well.

Jezla on August 3, 2007 at 12:49 PM

In laymans terms, I would like a vote to vote on the re-vote of the earlier vote that was voted on. Do I have this right? Sheesh…

soulsirkus on August 3, 2007 at 12:56 PM

1. Lovely. Welcome to the Philippines.

LakeRuins on August 3, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Where in the hell is Nancy????????

DfDeportation on August 3, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Palomino! Palomino!

My collie says:

Someone just HAD to say it.

CyberCipher on August 3, 2007 at 1:03 PM

Well, ladies and gentlemen, if you live in a House district that is marginally Democrat or a red district that sneaked a Democrat in (as I do), here’s your campaign issue.

If there’s anybody from the HRCC reading this blog, if you can’t find a way to use this to help gain back control of the House, you ought to resign.

georgej on August 3, 2007 at 2:42 PM

So now they’re saying the electronic voting system in the house is “broken”… (implication, we didn’t violate the rules.. it wasn’t our fault)

Skywise on August 3, 2007 at 3:27 PM

I really do not know what the problem is. The Demons are just starting a little early for the 2008 elections which will the last time we get to vote – for the Demonrats of course.

davod on August 3, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Cyber:

There was almost a fist fight between two Congressmen the other day. The Dem, I beleive it was the reverend Jackson’s son called out a Repub.

davod on August 3, 2007 at 3:36 PM

Most ethical Congress ever my ass.

SoulGlo on August 3, 2007 at 5:04 PM

So,, what are the Republicans going to do?? Isn’t this plain fraud?? This is more than just stealing votes,, they just completely disregarded a vote and changed it in their favor. This is an outright violation of their oath and of our constitution! Now blast it! Democrats scream about violations that aren’t even violations!! The Democrats go and change a vote to their favor in front of everyone on the floor of the House and the Republican Minority Leader wants to accept their apology and just move on!?? Is this not a violation of rules or even laws??? Votes are votes!! What would prevent any majority from just up and changing votes at any other time in the future!?? I admit ignorance here of procedures,,, but I can imagine had the Republicans done anything like this, Democrats would demand Republican heads and rightly so! How can this be allowed to stand?? The Republicans should refuse all business, or completely shut down the House and demand that democracy, the vote, and the rule of law is restored!! This is not a small thing!! This vote needs restored to what it was! If the Dems are allowed to get away with this, it will not be the last time they do it!! This is a fraud! This needs to be responded to with as much passion as one would to a coup because that is what it nearly is!!!

JellyToast on August 3, 2007 at 6:31 PM

So,, what are the Republicans going to do?? JellyToast on August 3, 2007 at 6:31 PM

It appears they are going to have an investigation about it and give the issue some life so that EVERYONE knows what happened…rather than just allowing a quick “fix”. I was disappointed when I heard that Boehner wanted to allow the vote to stand. Now I know why. Let the vote stand, and make the entire issue another thing to point to leading up to ’08. They know this will fire up the base. Hopefully the damage of what was authorized will be minimal. Getting back the House can go a long way to fixing this issue and many others.

Maybe AP will think this is worth showing up to vote about since the Presidency isn’t?

Weber48IDA on August 3, 2007 at 7:30 PM

A classic example why I do not trust my government….

build the wall on August 3, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Great. Sign him up for rehab with Isaiah Washington and Mel Gibson.

I saw a bumper sticker on my way in to work here in lovely Boulder, CO (a city that leans so far to the left the ground feels like the skewed camera angles they’d use to shoot the archvillains’ lairs on Batman) that said “I Love My Country” followed by “I’m ashamed of my government” (in tiny print; nothing like the courage of your convictions). While I doubt McNulty is who the driver had in mind, if the gavel fits…

Captain Scarlet on August 4, 2007 at 5:10 AM