Breaking: CAIR threatens Young America’s Foundation, seeks to stifle Robert Spencer Updates

posted at 3:04 pm on August 1, 2007 by Bryan

Noted author, Hot Air contributor/host and jihad watcher Robert Spencer is scheduled to speak before a gathering of the Young America’s Foundation in Washington on Thursday. CAIR, whose spokesman Ibrahim Hooper defamed Spencer on CNN Tuesday night, has issued a demand via its lawyers that YAF cancel the speech or “ensure that false and defamatory statements are not disseminated at that session.” Here’s the letter from CAIR’s lawyers to YAF.

cair-letter.png

This is an effort to stifle free speech in advance of anything having actually been said. It’s pernicious in my humble opinion, and a serious mistake on CAIR’s part to try to preempt its critics. I’m told by YAF that the speech will proceed as scheduled, and Jason Mattera, spokesman for YAF, responded to the CAIR complaint:

“CAIR can go to Hell and they can take their 72 virgins with them.”

I think CAIR has its answer.

By the way, tomorrow I’ll have an interview with another author, Dr. Rachel Ehrenfeld, who has been hit with another lawyer jihad. Using courts to stifle free speech seems to have become a preferred tactic.

Update: Well, well. CAIR’s lawyer has major Democrat credentials.

Update: Via Michelle, Robert Spencer responds.

Note the personal smears, the attempt to bully and intimidate, and the non-specificity of the charges against me (they can’t be specific, because I don’t say anything inaccurate about them — or about Islam or jihad).

Note also the irony: this letter comes a day after CAIR’s Ibrahim Hooper slandered me on national television by ascribing to me hateful words written by someone else — which appeared on this site for about an hour, during which, lo and behold, someone at CAIR was watching.

I was speaking to a YAF official who told me that I was scheduled to speak as planned: “CAIR can go to Hell and they can take their 72 virgins with them.”

My own reply to CAIR: remember McAuliffe at Bastogne.

Neither Spencer nor YAF appear to be intimidated. Nor should they.

Update: The Washington Times has been working on this story all afternoon, and has a very good round-up on it.

Update: Robert Stacy McCain blogs on the atmosphere of fear and intimidation that CAIR’s threat letter has created at YAF’s banquet tonight.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I wonder if CAIR will like the new animated logo I created for them: http://www.fromthepen.com/cair.html

(after all, nobody hates babies)

bucktowndusty on August 1, 2007 at 10:35 PM

You want to be in the land of the free? Well, welcome to it, and get used to hearing things you don’t like.

BacaDog on August 1, 2007 at 9:05 PM

I agree totally!

Cowboy the bleep up, because the rest of us see flags burned, religion mocked, and bibles desecrated in the name of art every damn day.

see-dubya on August 1, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Yep, it burns my arse to see these things being done, for whatever reason. This is the U.S.A. though and people are free to express themselves this way.
It should be equal opportunity for all. If those in c.a.i.r. don’t like it, they can stick it.

4shoes on August 1, 2007 at 10:41 PM

(after all, nobody hates babies)

bucktowndusty on August 1, 2007 at 10:35 PM

That’s hilarious!

4shoes on August 1, 2007 at 10:43 PM

“CAIR can go to Hell and they can take their 72 virgins with them.”

Now that would be a great bumper sticker.

OrthodoxRobert on August 1, 2007 at 11:12 PM

IMHO I can find only two true words in the description of Mr. Robert Spencer as ‘a well known purveyor of hate and bigotry against Muslims, has a history of false and defamitory statements’. Those words are ‘well known’. Lets add ‘well educated’, ‘well respected’ and most of all ‘well loved’. As the resident ‘Professor’ here at HA Robert Spencer puts forth his views on Islam in an umbiased fashion and does not profess Islam as good or bad. The fact that numourous people feel that Islam is not compatible with the American culture, is due to the actions of muslims reported in the media not the teachings of Robert Spencer. I stand with Robert Spencer to continue to teach and educate the American public about the contents of the Quran and the rulings of Sharia law. PS To Mr.Sandler ‘sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me’ 1st grade nursury rhyme. USA

sonnyspats1 on August 1, 2007 at 11:45 PM

The Americans correctly regard their rights of speech, press, and assembly as holy. I’ve already given my fatwa on the matter of these rights of the Americans, but I’ll repeat it for the better instruction of CAIR, Joseph Sandler, YAF, and the readers. Opposing or seeking to curtail the Americans’ free exercise of their rights of speech, press, and assembly is haram, and whoever does it is murtad.

Kralizec on August 2, 2007 at 12:04 AM

Remember the guy who put sheets across the grand canyon, or something like that? He put up hundreds of red flags across the desert? Did some additional BIG art things. Remember, all in the name of art.
Soooooo,
We should find 50 people, one per state, for all of the United States.
We find people that can be in their state capital at a predetermined date and time to participate in this “non-hate art”, at least one person per state.
Everyone buy a koran (or get one free from CAIR{yeah right}) and we will all burn them, in our respective state capitals, at the same time of day, on the same date, all at once.
we call it “Not Capital Punishment” or “Capital non-hate crimes”, or ????
Maybe we do this on 9/11/2007 at 9am mountain time. 11 am eastern, 6 am Hawaiian time.

Anyone wanna coordinate this?
I’ve got Denver.

shooter on August 2, 2007 at 12:10 AM

Once again we see who are the true intimidators.

This is classic Islamofascist Orwellianism. They are absolute masters at this. It’s kind of a lingual-conceptual judo thing–you take the other guys issue and use it against him. There is always this amazing symmetry in their complaints. They are intimidating, so they claim of being intimidated. They are anti-Semitic, so they complain about Islamophobia, and so on, ad nauseam. Look at the Israel/Palestinian situation. Same thing. Israel created a “right of return,” basically an in-house immigration policy, and so the Palestinians want a “right of return,” to demographically eliminate the Jewish character of Israel. The day after independence was declared by Israel in ’48, they were invaded by their 5 neighboring Arab countries. This is now remembered as “the Naqbah–the Catastrophe” by the Pals, as if this were something done to them instead of by them. The Waqf has been tearing hell out of the Temple Mount for the last several years, but accuses Israel with trying to desecrate or destroy Al Aqsa whenever Israeli authorities try to do even basic maintenance on the walls, even if there are 20 Jordanian archaeological experts doing it. And of course since lefties have the logical thinking capabilities of Kobi Bryant in that priceless episode with Ali G. http://youtube.com/watch?v=OXjCPPjH4mo, they fall for this crap. (Ali G. asks him [if air makes basketballs bounce] “Then how come this room don’t be bouncin’?”, and Kobe is like, hmmmm, ummmmm, doh, crickets chirping.) Anything that contains the right collection of words (in no particular order) is good enough for lefty ideologues, so they buy all this snake-oil we’re being sold. For example, what does racism have to do with any of this? Remember, what hit Malcom X like a ton of bricks, undoing years of hate-Whitey ideological indoctrination, was going on the pilgrimage to Mecca and seeing bunches of blue-eyed fair skinned Muslims.

OK, I’m done. Somebody just threw the towel over my cage.

smellthecoffee on August 2, 2007 at 12:12 AM

shooter on August 2, 2007 at 12:10 AM

Heh.

Needs a better slogan, but, I’ll take Richmond.

BacaDog on August 2, 2007 at 12:15 AM

“CAIR can go to Hell and they can take their 72 virgins with them.”

And when the hell is our country going to stand up, like the famous “Network moment” and say the same frakin thing?
It is time! It is time! IT. IS. TIME!

We are mad as hell and we are NOT foing to take it anymore! ! ! !

auspatriotman on August 2, 2007 at 1:25 AM

He coulda just said, “Nuts”

…I love it when CAIR totally f***’s up and bares their true soul now & again

SilverStar830 on August 2, 2007 at 4:55 AM

There is a CAIR office in my neighborhood and I drive by it all the time.
In the early mornings and early evenings the lights are out and the parking lot is empty.
During the daytime the parking lot is empty and it looks like nobody is there.
I don’t think there is much shaking there.

bdog2995 on August 2, 2007 at 8:10 AM

Ah yes…the terrorists at CAIR are getting desparate I see. Pretty soon, they will just start car bombing and suicide bombing all of those that they fear just to get their points across. And our illustrious government will continue to coddle these terrorists and call them “members of the religion of peace”.

lynnv on August 2, 2007 at 8:29 AM

why CAIRs membership is falling

Mojack420 on August 2, 2007 at 10:58 AM

CAIR lawsuits are nothing more than legal Muslim terrorism to please some long dead pedophile for profit. Islamic terrorism in just another fashion.

PS: Joe Sandler is a traitor by choice.

Timber Wolf on August 2, 2007 at 11:27 AM

CAIR seems quite reasonable. They just want to stop Spencer from talking in case he says something they don’t like. I would like to remove all muslims from the U.S. in case they support terrorism. If we work together on this the solution is simple. First deport all muslims from the US, starting with CAIR. Then, they will not hear Mr. Spencer when he speaks.

They will not be offended, and we will not be shoe bombed, plane bombed, poisoned, irradiated, crop dusted, fire bombed, shot, run over, anthraxed, ricined, nuked or forced to hear one more word about Sharia. That seems OK to me

entagor on August 2, 2007 at 2:01 PM

This is great!

I’ll bet CAIR is regretting their free Qur’an handouts about now.

CAIR exaggerates its importance, thus drawing attention to itself. So we paid attention, learned about Islam without their propagandizing it, and discovered, we weren’t crazy about it or them. And that both are dangerous to our very survival as they seek to subvert our legal system and use our laws against us.

Ibrahim had it right the other day when he said Islam is an ideology. So is communism. I detest both.

Here’s to the truth and Robert Spencer, American hero!

Connie on August 2, 2007 at 6:19 PM

Chuck in Detroit on August 1, 2007 at 4:58 PM

I understand your sentiment, but that’s probably not a real cool thing to say.

Connie on August 2, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Someone should drop Nuke on CAIR’s Headquarters and rid the world of that terrorist organization.

Chuck in Detroit on August 1, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Hey Einstein – they are headquartered in Washington DC…

Bradky on August 2, 2007 at 11:16 PM

Chuck in Detroit on August 1, 2007 at 4:58 PM
Hey Einstein – they are headquartered in Washington DC…

Bradky on August 2, 2007 at 11:16 PM

Considering the fools we have in Congress, the State Department and Homeland Security, I wonder how is that such a “bad” thing? LOL :) ;)

FLLaw33870 on August 3, 2007 at 1:31 PM

Actually, CAIR’s headquarters are in MECCA, so go ahead…nuke ‘em.

Certain pork-conceived, dog-spawn at CAIR would look good glowing in the dark!!

babylonandon on August 6, 2007 at 6:24 PM