Video: Murtha on O’Hanlon’s and Pollack’s op-ed — “It’s an illusion!”

posted at 3:06 pm on July 31, 2007 by Allahpundit

Remember: there’s no such thing as progress in Iraq, on any front. If someone tells you Ramadi is much more secure today than six months ago, show them the numbers on the daily power supply. If they tell you U.S. casualties are down this month despite the obvious jihadist incentive to launch a summer Tet, sneer at them about the monthly cost of the war. No good news can go unanswered, no matter how many qualifiers that news comes with.

As for the prospect of mass casualties after a U.S. pullout, that’s their problem.

Comments

“…so I tied an onion to my belt, which was the fashion at the time, and headed on into the Capitol building.”

James on July 31, 2007 at 3:10 PM

Yeah, an illusion like the place you sent that million dollar earmark to.

Bad Candy on July 31, 2007 at 3:14 PM

“they were there for 7 days …”

And how long have you spent there, Jack?

yo on July 31, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Bad Candy on July 31, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Good Point.

Guardian on July 31, 2007 at 3:20 PM

I didn’t know Baghdad Bob was in congress.
It’s an illusion?!? Murtha is delusional.

Kini on July 31, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Anyone surprised?

Victory is an unacceptable outcome for Grandpa.

Now move on.

fogw on July 31, 2007 at 3:23 PM

What a bastard. Once again, it’s all doom-and-gloom and all America’s fault. Iraqi genocide? Oh well, damn them. Yeah, real human rights heroes these libs are. Did you notice how when the anchor said the soccer player said he couldn’t return to Iraq or else he’d be killed, Murtha laughed? What is that!?!

CP on July 31, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Make sure y’all check out today’s DUmmieFUnnies:

It’s a Kos thread on this topic. Read it and – literally – weep.

The pretense of supporting the troops is officially gone. They are now openly, explicitly rooting for America to lose – in exactly those words.

If I hadn’t been reading blogs for a few years, it would shock me. I suspect if most Americans were aware of this liberal emotion … they’d be as shocked as I should be.

Yes, kids. You can question their patriotism now.

Professor Blather on July 31, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Yes, kids. You can question their patriotism now.

Professor Blather on July 31, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Thank you.

Harpoon on July 31, 2007 at 3:31 PM

And just remember. Most, if not all of the Dems 2008 candidates are going to the Kos convention in Chicago. Birds of a feather.

BobK on July 31, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Yes, kids. You can question their patriotism now.

Professor Blather on July 31, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Oh! When it comes to ex-Marines like Murtha, that ship sailed long ago. What I’d like to know is if Murtha, Pelosi, Reid, Durbin, Levin, etc. have reached the category of “domestic enemy” yet.

highhopes on July 31, 2007 at 3:33 PM

I wish Murtha was an illusion. Instead he is just a bad dream that keeps coming back.

bopbottle on July 31, 2007 at 3:34 PM

asshat.

jcrue on July 31, 2007 at 3:36 PM

There are many ‘leftists’ that believe the only answer for Iraq is civil war. I on the otherhand believe we can solve this problem here in America. The problem we have with ignorant anti-war socialist power-mongers undercutting our troops and the future security of our country. Let’s have a civil war here in the good old USA. I’m ready.

Griz on July 31, 2007 at 3:37 PM

I told you folks before he was no Marine. Now I know he is in full dementia and needs a rubber room inside that huge pork barrel project he has in Johnstown, PA

MNDavenotPC on July 31, 2007 at 3:38 PM

I can’t say the words that this creep brings to the tip of my tongue…other than he is a selfish, self centered, liar and coward, oh and most important of all…Unamerican.
Both my parents were Marines during WWII they’d both be embarrassed and insulted to hear this clown say he was a Marine.

oldernslower on July 31, 2007 at 3:40 PM

For the most part I just really feel sorry for folks that now feel their political agenda is linked to an American loss in Iraq.

Think about it. They’re stuck in a no-win situation. If they get their way … more Americans die, the world will become less stable, all the things they pretend to support – freedom, liberty, equality for women, etc. – will suffer in the Middle East … all so liberals can say “we told you so.”

And if America wins … if 40 years from now Bush looks prescient in his Middle East policy, and Iraq has become a stable quasi-democracy … then everybody remembers what the Democrats once said. They become politically irrelevant and forever tarred by their own willingness to cheer for defeat.

It must truly suck to be in their camp. My feelings – and most of yours – are pretty simple: I want peace in Iraq, with honor. I want the terrorists destroyed, dead, dismantled, and dismembered. I want us to win and thus achieve the aforementioned stuff that liberals pretend to want, all that freedom and liberty they now ignore.

If I don’t get what I want … at least my integrity remains intact. Liberals rooting against their country don’t have that luxury.

I feel sorry for them. Rock, meet hard place.

The only way any of this works out well for people like Murtha is if we *do* win in Iraq … and somehow everyone forgets what Democrats are saying today.

Good thing for them the MSM might help them try to pull that off.

I’m sincerely glad I just get to truly support the troops.

Imagine feeling sad … or angry … that the surge seems to be working?

Sucks to be them.

Professor Blather on July 31, 2007 at 3:41 PM

There is serious politicking on both sides of the Iraq war progress issue right now. The end result will not appear as a victory in a conventional sense. Sunni hatred versus the Shi’ites and vice versa existed long before US imperialism. we cannot keep 160,000 troops, given our current infantry capacity, in Iraq indefinately.

awake on July 31, 2007 at 3:43 PM

“Even the soccer player that scored the winning goal wants us out” That quote made me laugh. What a clown, I knew the left would find a negative to try and counter any good that might have come from the improbable and inspiring soccer victory for Iraq. The libs are so invested in defeat that they have no choice but to attack anyone that questions their surrender plan. Call me crazy, but I have a good feeling going foward in this war. Is there anything that can be done as far as term limits for congress?

chief on July 31, 2007 at 3:43 PM

What a disgrace . . . this bum want’s us to lose. The only way the jackass could have stayed in office this long was by dumping enormous amounts of federal funds and favors on his constituents and financial supporters. Come on FBI, this should be a relatively easy one.

rplat on July 31, 2007 at 3:48 PM

- – AP

- – Professor Blather

…and Hillary wants to be called a progressive. None of these America- and freedom-haters and Soldier-non-supporters (no, I don’t feel strange calling them that any more – the 3 dem contenders visit their meetings and not the sane democrats’ and I don’t need any more proof) deserve to be called progressive, without simple quotes around the otherwise good word.

Entelechy on July 31, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Prepare for the inevitable folks.

The left is starting to move the goalposts to suit their goal, a defeat for the USA in Iraq.

swami on July 31, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Clarification for above quote – it wasn’t AP who said that, but rather the context of what Murtha believes.

Entelechy on July 31, 2007 at 3:53 PM

It’s like his colleague said– good news from Iraq is a problem for his side. How sad that this congressman’s “side” isn’t the United States’ side. What a dirt-bag.

morganfrost on July 31, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Yeah, Murtha needs to go ASAP.

PBoilermaker on July 31, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Q: What do John Murtha, Lee Harvey oswald and Charles Whitman have in common?

A: They bring shame to my beloved Corps.

TheSitRep on July 31, 2007 at 4:01 PM

Just because a person has served in the military does not lend credence to his/her beliefs. The military just as the American public have certain percentages of human trash as part of their make up. Murtha nad Kerry prove that beyond a reasonable doubt.

volsense on July 31, 2007 at 4:07 PM

volsense on July 31, 2007 at 4:07 PM

coughSCOTT THOMAScough

PBoilermaker on July 31, 2007 at 4:09 PM

Well, since we now have a green light to question their patriotism, can we now call them traitors?

People of Pennsylvania… RISE!

CliffHanger on July 31, 2007 at 4:14 PM

A challenge for all of you:

Take a careful look at the screencap of Murtha.

Now go take a careful look at the screencap of teddy bear girl from yesterday.

Compare them.

You’ll see what I mean.

Professor Blather on July 31, 2007 at 4:16 PM

I bet Murtha was picked on as a child. He’s still resentful all these years later.

Murtha is upset about the money being spent in Iraq because it is less for him to earmark for his own projects

When Murtha approaches a door, he has to walk through sideways. He hasn’t figured out how to retract those ears yet.

Murtha never got his payout from Abscam and he is out to make the country pay him back.

Newt is the patient scholorly father and Murtha is the whiny little sh*t who keeps demanding his way. You know, a good spanking might do him some good.

Mallard T. Drake on July 31, 2007 at 4:17 PM

As a former Marine originally from Pennsylvania myself, I have to say this man is a disgrace.

dvldog1142 on July 31, 2007 at 4:36 PM

PA recall Murtha!!

apostle53 on July 31, 2007 at 4:38 PM

This talking sphincter having any intelligence whatsoever is the real illusion.

Kowboy on July 31, 2007 at 4:43 PM

Even a soccer player said the USA should go home, oh well, a soccer player, that is different. Pull the troops now.

Wade on July 31, 2007 at 4:44 PM

Murtha, I served with Marines. I knew Marines. Marines are friends of mine. Murtha , you’re no Marine

Wade on July 31, 2007 at 4:45 PM

The sad/funny thing about that is that electricity generated in Iraq is about what it was before the invasion. The difference is that much more of it is going to the Shia and Kurds — many of whom never had electricity before — in relationship to Baghdad, which is where the lion’s share went under Saddam. Granted, demand is much higher than suplly nationwide — but that’s largely because free Iraqis have bought refrigerators, computers, cellphones, household appliances, etc. that they could not get under Saddam.

Karl on July 31, 2007 at 4:57 PM

I think it’s good that Murtha is the Dem mouthpiece on Iraq. His willingness to be so completely obstuse to ANY progress in Iraq simply lays out the leftist agenda for all to see.

It’s the smooth operators who this fall will sidestep the military progress entirely by pointing to Iraqi political gridlock that are the most likely to convince more of the US public to oppose the war. Murtha blathering in incomplete sentences about total failure in the face of positive reports from the military will convince noone.

Clark1 on July 31, 2007 at 5:02 PM

12 billion dollars a month NOT going into Murtha’s pockets. That’s the message here.

georgej on July 31, 2007 at 5:30 PM

Top-Down Measurement of Bottom-Up Plan

In the progression of lies, dam lies and statistics, that senile old man has given us a good clue to how the September report will be countered by losers left.

General Peteraus wil give a positive report on the military situation to be countered by the credibility of Reid and Murtha. That will be no contest; Peteraus will get a few mud stains but will stay standing tall.

What we have to worry about is the old top-down milestones developed for the Bremer and Rumsfeld plan. The top level goals were supposed to be met first in the old top-down plan. How many times have you heard “failed policy”?

In September we will use milestones developed for a failed top-down plan to measure progress of the Peteraus bottom-up approach. Bad idea.

Since there will be “no progress” on the milestones the push to cut-and-run will continue.

TunaTalon on July 31, 2007 at 5:41 PM

I can’t think of any words of disgust strong enough CP, so will just say I tasted bile in the back of my mouth watching him laughing.

ShoreMark on July 31, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Murtha is a waste of skin!

xplodeit on July 31, 2007 at 6:32 PM

TheSitRep on July 31, 2007 at 4:01 PM

I know how you feel, but remember…. we Marines are a brotherhood and we can damn well kick out who we choose to in perpetuity

MNDavenotPC on July 31, 2007 at 6:36 PM

One can only hope there is a pit in Hell deep enough, wide enough, and hot enough to accomodate such people.

oldleprechaun on July 31, 2007 at 6:39 PM

The democratic leadership is flaunting their anti-patriotism right now, they aren’t even trying to hide it anymore. Maybe this could backfire on them. Hopefully more sane democrats see how their leadership is working their ass off to make sure America suffers defeat. I’m sorry but I just HAVE to believe that there are democrat voters out there who are on America’s side and want us to be successful. The alternative is too horrible to contemplate.

Keli on July 31, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Liberals are the enemy within. The sooner everyone learns that, the better we all be.

jdawg on July 31, 2007 at 6:56 PM

Treason is not patriotic
treason is giving aid and comfort to our enemies and makes you as bad if not worse then the enemy.

Benedict Arnold served in the military and that didn’t stop him from being a traitor like Murtha

Mojack420 on July 31, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Sometimes it seems as if the House just “plays” at policy making. The merrily vote on this and vote on that, pontificate gleefully on subjects they seem to know nothing about, blithely make promises they have no intention of keeping, run this investigation and that one and all in all have a good old time of it. Their attitude seems to be “Lets do it just for the h–l of it”. They remind me of Larry , Moe and Curly or the Keystone Kops but on a larger scale.

jeanie on July 31, 2007 at 7:40 PM

The Sunni and Shia kill each other. This problem will be magically solved by a third party, the Americans, leaving the country. Is there anyone on the planet who actually believes that ‘logic’?

Resolute on July 31, 2007 at 7:57 PM

MNDavenotPC on July 31, 2007 at 3:38 PM

That “project” is the illusion.

I called this yesterday. As did others. As soon as I saw Wolfie try his negative spin. One side note on Murtha. Last week on H & C, they did a story about pork and when his picture came up it said (D) MA. I almost screamed at the TV. Bad enough I have to live with Teddy and Kerry but this guy too?

PowWow on July 31, 2007 at 8:19 PM

The only Corps Murtha is a veteran of is the Blue Falcon Corps.

The Republicans have got to hammer this in the upcoming year, use their own words, their own agenda, to show the people what traitors these Dhimmicrats are. Unfortunately I am not very hopeful they will.

Lancer on July 31, 2007 at 8:24 PM

Redeploy to rubber room.

Semper fie!

profitsbeard on July 31, 2007 at 9:17 PM

Shame on the citizens in the PA district that continuously reelects this POS. It seems that the primary reason that he keeps getting reelected is due to the amount of pork that he brings to this district. It’s too bad that welfare reform did not address this type of government welfare.

dawgyear on July 31, 2007 at 10:27 PM

Why is this treasonist, bribe taking, abscam scum still in office? This bozo ought to be tarred, feathered and sent to Gitmo.

oakpack on July 31, 2007 at 11:14 PM

OKINAWA!!!!!!!

Dirthead on August 1, 2007 at 12:08 AM

What an embarrassment he must be to his constituents.

csdeven on August 1, 2007 at 12:17 AM

Get off my damn lawn… ya rotten kids!

SilverStar830 on August 1, 2007 at 1:15 AM

Teasonous murther-furquer

SicSemperTyrannus on August 1, 2007 at 7:42 AM

I was raised in Philadelphia, PA. While being in MN for 17 years, I’m still embarassed for my Pennsylvanians… hmmmm I’m in MN; I didn’t do much better, did I?

MNDavenotPC on August 1, 2007 at 11:05 AM

Murtha, a liar and thief with obsessive delusions and his own illusions, calling some one else rhetorical? blindness, madness.

Murtha, would it kill you to say something NICE about the troops?
….never mind.