Is Hot Air trying to Kos-ify Fred?

posted at 3:44 pm on July 31, 2007 by Allahpundit

“Kos-ify” meaning sink a guy just to prove we can. This Fredhead spies dark clouds a-gathering:

If they can force Fred’s hand and make him cave in on this, they’ll prove that they’re the DailyKos of the right. They’ll sit in silent judgment ensuring that Republicans toe the new party line, a line drawn by the consensus of a tiny sub-section of American society. They’ll steer the GOP as far to the right as Kos and friends have driven the Democrats to the left. I don’t think that’s a good idea, and I hope Fred doesn’t either.

Yes, I’m famous for my far right views. To answer his question: no, of course we’re not trying to Kos-ify him, not only because we don’t have anything remotely near the power needed to sink any major candidate (and neither does Kos, as Joe Lieberman could tell you) but no one has any reason to want to sink him. He may well be our best shot at winning. But if he’s done something wrong, we’re going to call him on it. Just like we do with Rudy, just like we do with Mitt. As for the merits of knocking him for hiring Spence Abraham, yes, of course, it’s entirely possible that Abraham won’t have any influence at all over Fred’s immigration policies. But given the long history of GOP betrayal on that issue, you can’t fault MM et al. for worrying.

Since we’re on the subject of Fred, though, ABC thinks it’s caught him in a flip flop. I think the case is weak and will be cured by the fact that he’ll eventually take the fair tax pledge anyway, but judge for yourself. Meanwhile, even his staunchest supporters are telling him to fish or cut bait in the most colorfully folksy idiom they can come up with:

Tennessee Republican Rep. Zach Wamp, a key supporter of the 6-foot-6 conservative many Republicans are hoping will fill a void, said a September announcement speech by Thompson would be fine, but that the former U.S. senator from Tennessee needs to definitively say in August that he is a candidate.

He said Thompson is “approaching the apex of the benefits of being a noncandidate.”…

“I’ve got horses in the gate like the Kentucky Derby and they’ve been there for a while. Horses in the gate are restless creatures. They’ve been stammerin’ and snortin’ and I don’t want them spittin’,” Wamp said.

Nice job by Reuters there apostrophizin’ the gerund.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Abraham is a campaign advisor, (ambassador to D.C. is how he was described was it not?) not the campaign manager. The manager I think is the guy who ran the IA and FL Republican parties. Only political junkies are anxious for campaigning to begin. No one else is really paying much attention. Fred! will announce after Labor Day I would suppose if he announces at all.

Laddy on July 31, 2007 at 8:20 PM

One of the biggest weaknesses with conservatives is the apparent desire to see their own candidates destroy each other like a bunch of hens at a pecking party.”

Buzzy on July 31, 2007 at 8:10 PM

One of the biggest strengths of true conservatives is that they have not developed “abused woman syndrome”. They are not going to choose some guy just because he won’t abuse them up as much as some other guy might.

If you are willing to settle for that, then that is likely all that you will ever get.

MB4 on July 31, 2007 at 8:29 PM

HA can’t become the right’s version of Kos because we don’t use the f-word like a comma here. Also this place is replete with facts. Something you’ll never see at Kos.

Go Fred! At 6 foot 6 inches he even out-Lurches Lurch. BooYuh!

Mojave Mark on July 31, 2007 at 8:31 PM

I would think that if AP was trying to hamstring fred? he would use this picture of him all the time. I didn’t know fred? starred in Poltergeist II.”

csdeven on July 31, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Just maybe AP does want to “hamstring” Fred, just not provoke a nationwide call for Fred to be locked up in the loony bin!!!

MB4 on July 31, 2007 at 8:34 PM

The GOP needs to take a hard turn to the right. They have lost sight of their core beliefs, and have been riding the fence for far too long. They have betrayed traditional American values by attempting to give concessions to the wingnuts for the sake of bipartisanship. You can’t play games with the Dems the way the GOP has been doing of late. “Give them an inch, and they will take a mile!

ericire12 on July 31, 2007 at 8:41 PM

ericire12 on July 31, 2007 at 8:41 PM

But who decides what the “core beliefs” of the GOP are? You? Me? Fred? Hot Air?

I was driven from the Democratic party during the Clinton administration by their desire for political power at the expense of national security. That doesn’t make me a Republican, even though that’s where I’ve voted in every single election since 1993.

flipflop on July 31, 2007 at 9:16 PM

If issues actually matter.

JackStraw on July 31, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Good point.

Mcguyver on July 31, 2007 at 9:29 PM

I feel your pain, Rob. But I don’t perceive it as a fault of HA, per se. It’s impatience, in my opinion. Any discussion of any candidate is good, as long as it is presented fairly and the commenters given the opportunity to rebut or approve.

Tennman on July 31, 2007 at 9:35 PM

One of the biggest weaknesses What looks like a weakness with conservatives from the surface> is the apparent desire to see their own candidates destroy each other like a bunch of hens at a pecking party.
Buzzy on July 31, 2007 at 8:10 PM

There fixed that for you.

It’s because we expect more from them..

Actually we just expect them to actually be what they say they are.

And because we are not afraid of introspection
(unlike Harry Reid looking in mirror) it prevents self-hatred.

Mcguyver on July 31, 2007 at 9:42 PM

As a staunch conservative and a Christian (as if they don’t go together)one of the biggest issues I’ve kept my eye on is his position on Israel and if he would be President who would stand with them. I’ve been reading alot on the hiring of Spencer Abraham and it had me concerned. Just today, I came across a great article on another conservative website that gave a link to a Political website that disputes this rumor and even says point blankly that Abraham in fact does NOT hold the position that has been thrown out there right and left by guess who??? The MSM. It quotes some statements by Fred himself and some facts about Abraham that completely contradicts what you’ve been reading of late. Am I allowed to name this website and it’s link? It gave me hope that it may be shedding some light and what’s to come and be declared sooner or later.

hotvol on July 31, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Professor Blather on July 31, 2007 at 4:56 PM

I don’t care for Schlussel either. She wrote a piece about how the VTech shooter was Pakistani. Her’s is one site I won’t bother with.

Bradky on July 31, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Am I allowed to name this website and it’s link?

If you would be so kind, I’d like to read that.

Spirit of 1776 on July 31, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Okay..I take it that’s a go. Go to newsbusters.org (link is in the Right Website column listed on HotAir’s main page)and then go to the 2nd page midway down. Titled “Are the Media Misreporting Thompson Addition of Spencer Abraham to
Campaign?”. Be sure after reading the initial part to read on MORE further where indicated in red letters. It gets quite detailed with some facts that were reassuring. I hope they are true..and I guess time will tell us that. I’m easy and I can wait..especially if this article is truthful and factual.

hotvol on July 31, 2007 at 10:33 PM

The nit-picking of all of the republican candidates here is getting ridiculous. And had Reagan been nit-picked like this, he would have never withstood muster here at HotAir.

thirteen28 on July 31, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Another irrelevant 09-10-2001 analogy.

Mcguyver on July 31, 2007 at 11:06 PM

So far, I am 100% for Fred. Of course, I cannot say he is my man until he announces. Anyway, I do have to say it seems to me this site is against him and always has been from the start. It does seem there is an agenda to sink him here.

Three is no “perfect” candidate , of course, and Fred has some problems for me. But he has less of them than ANY of the others thus far.

Conservatives DO have a tendency to rip each other to pieces. This is why they cannot create ruling majorities.

Warner Todd Huston on July 31, 2007 at 11:13 PM

This is why they cannot create ruling majorities.

Warner Todd Huston on July 31, 2007 at 11:13 PM

There, I’m happy to fix that for you.

Mcguyver on July 31, 2007 at 11:15 PM

hotvol on July 31, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Thanks.

Spirit of 1776 on July 31, 2007 at 11:19 PM

Screw them. I feel nothing.

see-dubya on July 31, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Perfect.

I called the kosacks “rats” wallowing in a “latrine”, often. Couldn’t stand to eat and breathe that and in that medium. No, we’re not Kos. We’re just a bit strange. When Hillary wins, no telling what we’ll turn into.

Entelechy on July 31, 2007 at 11:21 PM

Well I too will feel better once he officially announces and makes some statements that will address these questionable issues that can sway us one way or the other. One thing I will say..I was on a Draft Fred website when the vert first whispers of his running came about..back in March…and it was amazing reading those postings. Posting from all across the nation..both Republicans and Democrats and those who said they had never voted before but would for him. There was such a sense of hope, optimism and unity like I’ve never read before, that is in the political spectrum…outside of watching the 2004 returns…lol. Now that was something…actually a unity of six million conservative voters and we can do it again.

hotvol on July 31, 2007 at 11:39 PM

Another irrelevant 09-10-2001 analogy.

Mcguyver on July 31, 2007 at 11:06 PM

Yeah, that’s really a 9/10 analogy.

Shut up.

thirteen28 on July 31, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Oh yeah. I forgot… [scratching head]… red-alerts IS the definitive authority on what is un-American.

Thanks for the reminder wackjobber.

Mcguyver on July 31, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Get a grip; I was joking for God’s sake.

RW Wacko on August 1, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Campaign?”.

hotvol on July 31, 2007 at 10:33 PM

\

I did some research and said the same thing yesterday in the Michelle Lowers the Boom thread. It’s nice to have some vindication.

Tennman on August 1, 2007 at 12:14 AM

Oh and I just had my 7,500 hit on my blog, WOOOOO!!!!

Bad Candy on July 31, 2007 at 4:58 PM

I seriously read that as 7,500 hit on my “bong” the first time, and did not quite know what to make of that. Anyway, both are very impressive in their own way; congrats!

RW Wacko on August 1, 2007 at 12:19 AM

Tennman on August 1, 2007 at 12:14 AM

Heh. Sorry I missed it.

Spirit of 1776 on August 1, 2007 at 12:51 AM

Your welcomed to both of ya..it helps to get the word out..sometimes twice to reach the misses..no?? later.

hotvol on August 1, 2007 at 12:56 AM

or was there maybe some talkin to the hands and something was ignored??? yes????? lol. later.

hotvol on August 1, 2007 at 12:58 AM

I agree that any self-respecting conservative candidate (or pre-candidate, as in Fred!’s case) should wear the level of scrutiny we give him/her – barring, perhaps, csdeven’s level of fixation on Fred!, which if Fred! were a woman, would border on stalking, IMHO – as a badge of honor. As a movement, I believe we hold candidates to a standard of truth, virtue, and accountability that the so-called “reality based community” mocks simply because, deep inside, they are ashamed of themselves for being unable to match.

All that candidate has to do, is BE HONEST about their current stance and prior voting record/actions regarding the issues at hand:

* Be faithful to your own convictions;
* Defend the Constitution;
* Uphold the Law;
* Protect the Public; and
* Champion Liberty to the rest of the world.

All the issues we discuss on blogs like HotAir – fiscal conservatism; islamofascism and its threat to the US; protecting the borders; and even abortion (gasp!) fall into the items I listed above.

If you don’t like the laws? Don’t ignore them; work to change them.

If your stance is considered “controversial” with some conservatives? Don’t shy away from your position, stand on it honestly and defend it.

Screwed up on some issue in the past, or have things in your closet that don’t look pretty? Own up to them, and accept the consequences for being honest.

I don’t think I’ve missed anything.

My disappointment with Fred! at the moment is that he initially came out strong on all of the points I made, but with the abortion lobbying lawyer silence/ducking and the (presumed) choice of Spence Abraham in his campaign, I’m wondering.

Sad part is, even with those missteps, I think he has a lot more going for a candidacy than any other Republican candidate thus far. Assuming, of course, he eventually throws his hat into the ring.

p.s.: do you ever get the impression that csdeven is like the girl who yells to anyone involved that she turned down the Prom King because he wasn’t good enough for her, regardless of whether anyone really cares?

Wanderlust on August 1, 2007 at 5:48 AM

I would love to see Michelle interview all the major candidates. Mitt, Rudy, and Fred.

infidel4life on July 31, 2007 at 4:42 PM

Outstanding idea. Bring on the Vents!

Dave Shay on August 1, 2007 at 7:43 AM

Wanderlust on August 1, 2007 at 5:48 AM

fred? lies. fred? is a fake. fred? picked scum for lobbying clients. It appears that you, like most fred?heads, only want to look at the TV persona of freddie boy and not the real history and record of fred?. When you’re ready to judge fred? on what he really is, the points you made will carry more credibility.

And as far as fixations go, please note, YOU are talking about little old me in a thread that is supposed to be about the lying fake fred?. Hmmmmmm….

csdeven on August 1, 2007 at 7:46 AM

Face it, Bush did an outstanding job of splitting the GOP (on his citizenship campaign to make illegal aliens U.S. citizens) and no one seems to agree with anything or anyone on the conservative side anymore. And from what I’ve been reading here lately with all of the attacks on Thompson, it proves that the split continues. These attacks within the conservative movement will most likely put Hitlary in charge of the White House and leaving us all pissing and moaning about our own foolishness. Yeah, keep attacking Thompson and the GOP candidates….that will certainly win elections. Geeez.

lynnv on August 1, 2007 at 8:21 AM

All I know is this

If this is all they got, its nothing,

Wait until his campaign airs spots Jan through April

Its all over but the cryin

EricPWJohnson on August 1, 2007 at 9:12 AM

You have to admit the Same state in less than 10 years has given us two widely talked about candidates

Hint – it aint arkansas

EricPWJohnson on August 1, 2007 at 9:13 AM

Being a newbie to cyberspace and a ****ing, no good, POS, democrat, I visited Kos a few times to enlighten myself to the machinations of politics. What hateful, self absorbed, drivel. Scales fell from my eyes, and a vision of ****ing, POS, falling from my name. I am only a no good democrat. Heck, I can work on that! And besides, I thoroughly hate Kos’s comment thread thingy. I have recently pulled a word out of the dusty attic, which, IMO, is key to the Republicans winning in ’08. It’s all about contrast. As an example, Kos vs HA.
Fred………………?

captivated_dem on August 1, 2007 at 9:38 AM

I believe the elite GOPs, RINOs, and demos in sheep’s clothing are on this site attempting to undermine Fred! and his campaign. We have heard from supporters of Hill-lite Rudiani, Ron “Ward Churchill wannabe” Paul, McJohn Weincain, Mitt “I was a socialist in Massachusetts but now I’m a conservative” Romney for many months. It’s clear the base is not pleased with these offerings—although they are light-years better than demos like Hill, Osama Obama, Silky Pony, and Area 51 Dennis.

But, keep the Fred! stuff coming. It is telling me that the RINOs and elite hate Fred! as part of their agenda. This is the same scheme that ran Ford and Betty against Reagan and Nancy back in 1976. (I am not saying Fred! is Ronald Reagan; Ronald Reagan is barely Ronald Reagan.)

So, my first opportunity as a kid to vote in a presidential election was Ford-Carter. I held my nose with one hand and voted for Ford. What did this give us? Four years of misery. Horrible economy… Terrible foreign policy blunders… Peanuts and billy beer… In sum, crap.

The GOP country-clubbers are back with Rudiani—and guess who will win: Hill.

The country clubbers are without a clue 30 years after the Reagan-revolution.

saved on August 1, 2007 at 9:39 AM

saved on August 1, 2007 at 9:39 AM

You needn’t be suspicious of me. I am the real deal here. No agenda other than what you and other Conservative Republicans want. There is alot of animus, here at HA, towards the less pure. Regardless, I will, continue to fight for the Republicans in my tainted ways. And, Fred………..?, to me just means, I’m still studying him, and I just don’t know.
Ever read the parable in scriptures about the man who was saved in his death bed? Those that that had followed the master their whole life, threw a hissy fit.

captivated_dem on August 1, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Heh. Sorry I missed it.
Spirit of 1776 on August 1, 2007 at 12:51 AM

I don’t want to repost the whole thing, but I think it’s incumbent on AP and other prominent bloggers to go do their research if they’re going to be making judgments, such as “Fizzle” and “Stillborn.”

The posting was Tennman on July 30, 2007 at 3:59 PM in the Michelle lowers the boom thread.

Tennman on August 1, 2007 at 10:13 AM

You would think we were talking about the “Dog Cather” running for Mayor!

Give me a break!

Were we all privy to the inside scoop and workings of the Thompson campaign, I’m sure it would be leaked right here.

We are not so lucky as to know what it going on with Fred’s Strategy. It weems to be working as we are all discussing it.
NELSA

Nelsa on August 1, 2007 at 10:13 AM

weems=seems ooops

Nelsa on August 1, 2007 at 10:15 AM

Vote Fred Thompson!

msipes on August 1, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Every four years the most horrible things get said about both candidates. In the end when our uneducated and uninformed electorate has to vote they will have to choose between Hitlery or Fred. Fred wins hands down. Even if it’s Rudy, Rudy wins hands down. We’re ready for a woman in the White House, just not THAT woman.

Mojave Mark on August 1, 2007 at 11:45 AM

Fred Dalton Thompson worked as a lawyer who argued against the government’s authority to regulate drug paraphernalia or to search a boat packed with 14 tons of marijuana.

jambus59 on August 1, 2007 at 12:02 PM

lynnv on August 1, 2007 at 8:21 AM

How can you claim that they is a split when freddie boy is a RINO and not a real conservative? He is also a arm-twisting lobbyist who chose scum for clients.

csdeven on August 1, 2007 at 12:06 PM

jambus59 on August 1, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Your point? That’s what lawyers do.

Tennman on August 1, 2007 at 12:06 PM

No Fred sank himself by showing his true colors with the hiring of Spence Abraham. Done with this, done with him. Nothing personal. I just can’t abide traitors.

Timber Wolf on August 1, 2007 at 12:20 PM

For all the Fredheads talking about the merits of candidates, I’ve never seen one of them mention the merits of Fred.

He doesn’t have any. He’s the most hyped, completely unqualified candidate in election history.

Merits of Fred Thompson:

Executive experience? Zero.

Conservative leadership? Zero.

Leadership period? Zero.

Charisma? Has it in spades, its his foundation.

Guts? The man’s afraid to announce for cripes sake.

Work Ethic? Only if you count writing 20 year old conservative platitudes that any HA member could write as well or better as work.

I suppose if your Gold Standard is “not a flip-flopper (an overused, utterly meaningless trap conservatives fall into),” Fred is a good choice because he’s never taken a firm definitive stand on anything he’s had to fight for.

Meanwhile:

Merits of Mitt Romney:

Executive experience: Four Years as Governor of Massachusetts.

Conservative Leadership: Fought off liberal policies in Massachusetts for 4 years. Worked with the Heritage Foundation (those rascally liberals) on his health plan. Employed the full extent of his executive power to waylay and contain the gay marriage decision.

Leadership in General: Decades in the Private Sector.

Charisma: He can keep your attention in a room.

Guts: If you can run the most liberal state in the union as a moderate-conservative Republican, you’ve got guts. Even though he didn’t win, taking on The Fatman in MA isn’t for the faint of heart.

Work Ethic: Wife, Five Kids, Worked long hours in the private sector. The man works hard.

But oh, poor Mitt is a “flip-flopper” because 13 years ago he ran against The Fatman and moved too far to the left, and when he was governor he didn’t kick all the Dems out of Massachusetts with his executive might. If you’re really intent on not voting for Mitt because of an overused political cliche, why vote at all?

If you compare the resumes it’s clear. Fred’s is the weakest. Rudy supporters can post up his resume, but suffice it to say that as far as qualifications go, Rudy also blows Fred out of the water.

Maybe we would have more optimism if our standard response to any candidate wasn’t: “X is a flip-flopper! There’s no conservatives left! We’re all doomed!” We tear each other apart because we’re caught in the realm of stupid cliches and soundbites.

BKennedy on August 1, 2007 at 1:02 PM

This entire campaign for President started way too early — about a year too early. However, this shows the level of importance the next Presidential election holds by the two major political parties.

While I agree that Fred should _________ or get off the pot, it’s clear he is waiting to see what transpires over the next few weeks regarding the current crop of Republican contenders…

eanax on August 1, 2007 at 1:28 PM

What strikes me is there is a trend away from something that made the GOP great. Optimism

KBird on July 31, 2007 at 4:27 PM

It is not a lack of optimism. it is a lack of trust. That is mainly because the party itself tried (and is still trying) to destroy anyone who disagrees with amnesty and open borders. The White House web site is still in Spanish. McCain did not say he bowed to the will of the masses on immigration he said: You won, I lost. What does that mean? It means the war club didn’t kill off the roaches this round.

Amnesty is a special case because people like me see it as a death blow to our system. If they just tried to trick me into paying for a bridge to nowhere I could rest easy

I did not fear Ronald Reagan. I loved his words, and I trusted his intentions. God, I loved that man.

Questioning his judgement because of this is fine, a little much, but fine. But can we at least admit that it’s Pandagonian, if not Kos-like, to demand that Fred associate himself only with people who are vetted by us? Or Debbie Schulssel? Like I said in that post, which most of you won’t read, I worked for YMCA’s and Head Starts for people to the left of of Kos, but because I was good at what I did they hired me even though they didn’t agree with me on much. Are they to lose their liberal credentials because I’m an old fashioned Reaganite?

Rob Taylor on July 31, 2007 at 4:49 PM

Who demanded Fred vet his people with me? I appreciate being informed about the people running someone’s campaign. Better than it being a secret for after the election.

Nothing wrong with hiring anyone who does the job the way you want but had you started making anti-gay overtures on the job at the YMCA your bosses would have lost their KOS credentials if they kept you on. What you do is important.

However without trust, it is harder to tell what a man will do based only upon his words.

The GOP destroyed my trust over Shamnesty. The big problem is they have not changed. They still want it, bad.

I think they would kill me for it, or at least, squelch me.

My job is to figure out who is left in the party that I still trust

entagor on August 1, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Come on BKennedy..you related to Teddy? Why would you say and give those comparisons on Fred and Mitt when you haven’t even taken the time to do a little research as to what his accomplishements were during his time as A SENATOR OF TENNESSEE you neglected to list on his executive experience. For those who care to know or read up on some interesting FACTS..you can go to imwithfred.com and go to the ABOUT link and it tells you all the Reforms he worked on during his EIGHT YEARS on the Finance Committee, such as enact 3 major tax cut bills reducing the burden of Federal Taxes on all of us…you can read what he accomplished and worked hard on in National Security. You can read some of the things he did that makes him the person he is which is an admirable person and one you would be proud to call a friend.

hotvol on August 1, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Heh!

No offense to the guys and gals of GOP-land (me included), but if the republicans don’t find a solid candidate soon, they’ll be saluting Hillary in 2009 (after Bush leaves office).

Darnell Clayton on August 1, 2007 at 6:19 PM

If there’s a problem with Fred,we’d best spend our energy building up a better alternative to Fred than tearing him down.

petefrt on August 1, 2007 at 8:56 PM

I live in MA and voted for Mitt in 2002 for Governor. He got a few things done, like Melanie’s Law. I lost my respect for him when he wouldn’t fire Matt Amorelo, the former head of the Mass Turnpike Authority. He went to the MA Supreme Court asking for advice. He should have fired the guy and fight the battle in the courts.

I’m a Fred! supporter and I wish he would announce. I agree the hype is starting way too early. The thought of Clinton or Obama being elected President are far too scary. I fear for our great nation with either of them in the corner office.

Mooseman

Mooseman on August 1, 2007 at 9:01 PM

hotvol on August 1, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Yeah, we’ve all had to listen to the groupies laud freds? so called “accomplishments”. They are of little importance. The history that the groupies want to ignore is his history as an arm-twisting lobbyist. They also want to nuance his involvement in McCain/Feinglod. This was freddie boys assault on freedom of speech. He was totally out of line with conservative values.

csdeven on August 1, 2007 at 9:19 PM

Fred – once you start to “peal the onion”.

MB4 on August 2, 2007 at 6:33 AM

A gerund is a noun, baby!

mikeyboss on August 2, 2007 at 11:03 AM

hotvol on August 1, 2007 at 6:02 PM

If the average Fred voter doesn’t realize that a Senate stint is Legislative, not Executive experience, that’s one more reason not to vote for Fred. Executive experience includes, among other things, Governorships, Mayoralties, and leadership within goverment agencies. Being a DA on TV doesn’t count.

Voted to reduce taxes? Well blow me down, I’ve never seen generic Republican Senator #1358 try that before. Even Bush lowered taxes. I want my President to be my President first and my beer buddy second.

BKennedy on August 2, 2007 at 1:35 PM

labwrs on July 31, 2007 at 4:09 PM

I wrote a piece defending Fred on this issue at Powerline a few days ago. Debbie Schlussel has done some really good research over the years, but her article was more than fact-finding. It was a hit piece. I try to stay away from big egos. O’Reilly is about all I can take of that. ;)

Connie on August 2, 2007 at 8:29 PM

I don’t see how anyone can defend fred?. The guy has never done anything except attack free speech and lined his or his family’s pockets. We have other candidates that serve the public good and have extensive records top prove as much. Two in the top tier and a couple in the lower tier. I wish a couple of the lower tier guys getting more attention. But, it’s a long way out and I believe in miracles.

csdeven on August 3, 2007 at 12:47 AM

Get a grip; I was joking for God’s sake.

RW Wacko on August 1, 2007 at 12:03 AM