Is Hot Air trying to Kos-ify Fred?

posted at 3:44 pm on July 31, 2007 by Allahpundit

“Kos-ify” meaning sink a guy just to prove we can. This Fredhead spies dark clouds a-gathering:

If they can force Fred’s hand and make him cave in on this, they’ll prove that they’re the DailyKos of the right. They’ll sit in silent judgment ensuring that Republicans toe the new party line, a line drawn by the consensus of a tiny sub-section of American society. They’ll steer the GOP as far to the right as Kos and friends have driven the Democrats to the left. I don’t think that’s a good idea, and I hope Fred doesn’t either.

Yes, I’m famous for my far right views. To answer his question: no, of course we’re not trying to Kos-ify him, not only because we don’t have anything remotely near the power needed to sink any major candidate (and neither does Kos, as Joe Lieberman could tell you) but no one has any reason to want to sink him. He may well be our best shot at winning. But if he’s done something wrong, we’re going to call him on it. Just like we do with Rudy, just like we do with Mitt. As for the merits of knocking him for hiring Spence Abraham, yes, of course, it’s entirely possible that Abraham won’t have any influence at all over Fred’s immigration policies. But given the long history of GOP betrayal on that issue, you can’t fault MM et al. for worrying.

Since we’re on the subject of Fred, though, ABC thinks it’s caught him in a flip flop. I think the case is weak and will be cured by the fact that he’ll eventually take the fair tax pledge anyway, but judge for yourself. Meanwhile, even his staunchest supporters are telling him to fish or cut bait in the most colorfully folksy idiom they can come up with:

Tennessee Republican Rep. Zach Wamp, a key supporter of the 6-foot-6 conservative many Republicans are hoping will fill a void, said a September announcement speech by Thompson would be fine, but that the former U.S. senator from Tennessee needs to definitively say in August that he is a candidate.

He said Thompson is “approaching the apex of the benefits of being a noncandidate.”…

“I’ve got horses in the gate like the Kentucky Derby and they’ve been there for a while. Horses in the gate are restless creatures. They’ve been stammerin’ and snortin’ and I don’t want them spittin’,” Wamp said.

Nice job by Reuters there apostrophizin’ the gerund.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Fred! is the greatest Republican (almost) candidate in modern electoral history, the only Republican who can demolish the Democrat dishonesty machine, and return us to our imperial glory. All other candidates are inferior.

Sorry. Just wanted to tee it up for CDSeven and the gang. Ready – set – Fred!

Professor Blather on July 31, 2007 at 3:50 PM

If Hot Air is to become the Kos of the right, then I call first dibs on smug self-righteousness!

albo on July 31, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Meanwhile, even his staunchest supporters are telling him to fish or cut bait in the most colorfully folksy idiom they can come up with.

Frednecks.

Big S on July 31, 2007 at 3:54 PM

I am a Fred-head and I say let the chips fall where they may.
I think Fred can weather all scrutiny either Legitimate or otherwise.
If he can’t then I am betting on the wrong horse.

TheSitRep on July 31, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Well Fred! does need to either cut bait or go fishin’. I too got happy when it looked like he might get into it and bring some straight talk to the campaign, but with the hiring of some old school political types I fear he will become nothing more then a tool for their memories of the good ‘ol days instead of Fred becoming a candidate who can face up to the challenges of the 21st century. The enemy is different, the tactics are more vicious and use everything at their disposal, and that means jihadists and liberals.
If Fred could adopt Newts’ platform that he is crafting then I might get back on the bandwagon, but for right now, especially with the election still far off in the distance, I will continue to sit on the sidelines.

LakeRuins on July 31, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Extremist views on the right or left are not in the best interests of the American people. On the other hand, compromise for the sake of getting things done in the “hope” better things will evolve is irrational and as productive as throwing pennies in a wishing well.

volsense on July 31, 2007 at 3:55 PM

I don’t see any point in knocking Fred! (the greatest Republican since Lincoln!) on the substantive issues because of Spence Abraham; a campaign manager is hired to win the elections – not because he shapes policy agenda.

But I *do* think its valid to knock Fred’s political judgment for making that choice. At the very least – even if he shares none of Abraham’s views on immigration, etc. – Fred! should have realized the perception that would be created.

But since Fred is the greatest Presidential candidate that ever lived, he probably has a plan that mere mortals aren’t wise enough to decipher.

—————————————

Oh – and HotAir doesn’t derail presidential candidates. It makes little blond girls cry. We’re mean. Remember?

Professor Blather on July 31, 2007 at 3:56 PM

You aren’t trying to it just happens naturally.

tomas on July 31, 2007 at 3:57 PM

I am tacitly leaning towards Fred! in the upcoming election. I do however have some key reservations. Those reservations were spawned by the work you have done, AP, in gathering information that some others, for one reason or another, have neglected. For this, I am thankful. Sometimes I think you are over the top on your presentation of a Fred! story, but the information is right on; and your interpretation, though arguable, nevertheless comes across as sincere. So don’t change anything. Trust that your readers can sift through what is on this site, and find the info. they need. The complaint that you linked to above really tells us more about that person than what you have written on your site about Fred! Keep up the great work AP.

Weight of Glory on July 31, 2007 at 3:59 PM

can we de-kos-ify mccain then? the man deserves better. and, i’ll remind again, he was the only of the candidates to have been correct about the war consistently.

jummy on July 31, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Another devious Hot Air plot exposed.

sublime on July 31, 2007 at 4:03 PM

I’m tired of Fred already. If he is our last, best hope, we are in trouble.

PBoilermaker on July 31, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Perhaps, but given Fred’s strength on that issue, (and I differ with “The Boss” with great trepidation here) I think the attacks have been over the top. Still, let’s get this into debate season with Fred involved (and Newt backing him?), and let the chips start to fall where they will, and to me, this too shall pass and blow over.

JDinSC on July 31, 2007 at 4:04 PM

“…fish or cut bait” That’s the crux of it for me. Join the fray and take your knocks just like all the rest.

jeanie on July 31, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Allah, not only are you a right-wing extremist, but you are un-American; red-alerts.com filed the article under “un-American activities”. Geez, they really opened up my eyes; somehow I thought HotAir was the most careful, fair and reasonable of the conservative blogs out there.

RW Wacko on July 31, 2007 at 4:08 PM

jummy on July 31, 2007 at 4:02 PM

If that was all that mattered he’d be the top pick.

Unfortunately for him, voters tend to want their guy to agree on at least a second issue.

Is Hot Air trying to Kos-ify Fred?

I think it’s a ludicrous suggestion. Then again, I’ve never decided what I think about Fred, so I can’t speak from the vantage of a Fredhead.

Esthier on July 31, 2007 at 4:08 PM

I just made my case for HA NOT being a “kos” on the guy’s site. I suggest a few other commenters make them too. I am not as eloquent as some but I think I argued well for HA.
As for Fred, that is the feeling here in Nashville..it is time for him to make SOME kind of move. The money raising and Abraham issues are sucking the positive and spewing the negative. Time to get going.

labwrs on July 31, 2007 at 4:09 PM

As a Fred! contributor all I can say is……

Bunk!…..HA is hardly pulling a Michael Moore on the fella.
If the Fred! campaign can’t stand up to what HA is dishing out then they don’t have a chance in hell for handling the Billary Machine.

Punch away. If he can’t take it then my money goes elsewhere.

Limerick on July 31, 2007 at 4:09 PM

apostrophizin’ the gerund

martinizin’ the epaulettes

jummy on July 31, 2007 at 4:10 PM

we are in trouble.

PBoilermaker on July 31, 2007 at 4:03 PM

I think that goes without saying. There’s a reason we lost out last November.

Esthier on July 31, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Yup those Brits sure have an ear for cowboy-speak.
Odd they are so deaf to g droppin’ New Yawkahs though. Ainnit?

Stephen M on July 31, 2007 at 4:10 PM

[[Waa..wa..wa]]]

What was that noise?

Oh.. just the sound of 6′ 6″ baby.

Mcguyver on July 31, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Yes, I’m famous for my far right views.

Haha, seriously. IMO, Allah is far from “far right”… I’ve often theorized that he (his true identity I mean) everyone’s favorite the Libertarian Andy Levy.

RightWinged on July 31, 2007 at 4:12 PM

I’m worried about Abraham being campaign manager b/c I am thinking he might be in line for a Cabinet position or something if Fred wins. Them being joined at the hip over the next year gives me pause, that’s for sure.

RW Wacko on July 31, 2007 at 4:12 PM

labwrs on July 31, 2007 at 4:09 PM

What’s the point in arguing with the guy?

To claim that this place is ANYTHING like Kos, you’d have to have never spent even a few minutes reading here … and you’d certainly have to have never visited Kos.

Just pick any thread here with over 100 comments and you’ll see that this place is about as far from a far-right partisan echo chamber as you can get.

No point arguing with the willfully ill-informed. Unless, of course, she’s wearing a boob tube. Then you make exceptions.

Professor Blather on July 31, 2007 at 4:13 PM

I question the timing (or lack of timing in this case)

HarryStar on July 31, 2007 at 4:15 PM

I had no idea who Spence Abraham was until I read the article here. Now that I recall who he is, I wondered “is that the best Fred could get for a manager?” It did make me pause for a second. However, until I hear that Fred will appoint Abraham to some important position in his cabinet, if he’s elected, I’m still leaning towards him. Not unless Newt decides to throw his hat in the ring and if he does, I’m going with Newt.

Hope that made sense.

moonsbreath on July 31, 2007 at 4:16 PM

The real question is this: Who is financing you in your obvious attempt to destroy the Fred! campaign in its embryonic state? (Perhaps someone associated with Rudy, since he favors legal abortion)?

Seriously, I do think some of the time the Fred-bashing is a bit over the top here. The item about him only raising $3 mil yesterday was a bit silly, considering he’s not even a declared candidate.

But, in fairness, I think just about every candidate has been bashed unfairly, with linked post regarding Rudy’s demagoguery being another good example.

Perhaps that’s the real message – be fair in your candidate-bashing, don’t just go looking for a reason to do so and don’t overdo it.

thirteen28 on July 31, 2007 at 4:18 PM

I feel a little dirty being compared to a kos kid.. ugghhh

gberez on July 31, 2007 at 4:21 PM

I think he has been reading csdevan’s comments along with the rest of Mitt’s Mutts.

Mallard T. Drake on July 31, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Screw them. I feel nothing.

see-dubya on July 31, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Mallard T. Drake on July 31, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Probably exactly the truth. I guess if you read the middle of some of those CDseven threads you might leap to the wrong conclusion in 5 … 4 … 3 …

Professor Blather on July 31, 2007 at 4:24 PM

What strikes me is there is a trend away from something that made the GOP great. Optimism

KBird on July 31, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Mallard T. Drake on July 31, 2007 at 4:22 PM

If CS put even 10% of the energy he spends bashing Fred into touting the virtues of his guy Mitt, some people might actually be convinced that Mitt is worth voting for.

thirteen28 on July 31, 2007 at 4:27 PM

thirteen28 on July 31, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Amen. All he’s done for me is turn me off to Mitt.

KBird on July 31, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Double amen. Make that triple.

Professor Blather on July 31, 2007 at 4:29 PM

While I don’t think Hot Air is holding a convention anytime soon and I don’t think the Republican candidates would be lining up to attend if they did.
I just hope zombie got tickets to the event and can get us some pictures of Hillary shaking hands with people who have Jiffy Pop aluminum foil on their heads.

LakeRuins on July 31, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Is Hot Air trying to Kos-ify Fred?

Funny, I always thought that bringing the people all information about a candidate, good or bad, was the way things were done fairly. But apparently to this guy to publish anything that might remotely cast his (non)candidate in a bad light puts anyone who does it in the extremist category.

All I can say is, keep being an extremist AP. If that’s what you are because you’re willing to publish all the information, I wish there were more out there just like you.

Kowboy on July 31, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Fredheads….?
Mitts Mutts…?
What is it with the nicknames?

LakeRuins on July 31, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Methinks Mr. Taylor musta cooked dinner with some of those ‘special’ mushrooms last night.

infidel4life on July 31, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Wow, Hot Air dared to have an opinion that somebody didn’t like. That hardly makes this place a fever swamp a la Kos–it just means that Republicans don’t get a free pass either, which is a good thing. As far as Red Alerts goes, I’d say “Screw them”, but See-Dub beat me to it.

Nice job by Reuters there apostrophizin’ the gerund.

Isn’t that still illegal in some states?

ReubenJCogburn on July 31, 2007 at 4:33 PM

I am still leaning towards Fred because he still resonates with me on the issues more directly than either Mitt or Rudy, especially when he talks about federalism. Plus I like what he has to say in the various articles he’s written online in regards to terrorism and Iran. He says the things I want to hear from a candidate about to assume our nations highest job at such a crucial moment.

That being said, he should not get a pass from anyone on the right or the left for that matter. I want to see blogs like HotAir put out the dirty laundry for all to see so that he has no suprises come November. Whilst this does lead to some hysterical ranting from some in defense or in critique, that’s part of the process and he needs to go through it regardless.

If there’s one thing that folks at HotAir agree on, it’s that we are all terrified of any of the democratic contenders winning in 2008. And in order to prevent this from happening, we need the best possible candidate to step to the plate. The more we shine the light on the dark corners of each candidate, the more we will know if they are quite ready for prime time or not.

The best part about this story comparing Kos to HotAir is what AP said at the top- KOS thinks that they can defeat a single candidate on their own, HotAir knows it can’t.

Tman on July 31, 2007 at 4:34 PM

I’m I the only having trouble viewing the ABC News link???

terryannonline on July 31, 2007 at 4:34 PM

Seriously, though. If Hot Air is really some kingmaker site, then I think Fred has little to complain about given all the red-meat links to his (excellent, inspiring) broadcasts and columns. And blogging.

And by the way, who would you rather have as kingmaker: Hot Air or George Will and the WSJ editorial board?

see-dubya on July 31, 2007 at 4:34 PM

One more thing: Fred’s people ought to contact Michelle and Bryan and tape a Vent. I’m sure he’ll have a good answer for Michelle’s questions about Abraham.

see-dubya on July 31, 2007 at 4:37 PM

The MSM/Kos/Dem/Islamist alliance couldn’t care less which GOP candidate has the most flip-flops, the dirtiest laundry or the purest conservative record. They only care about which one has the greatest potential to prevent the coronation of Hillary Clinton.

That’s why their primary strategy will be to knock out Rudy.

Halley on July 31, 2007 at 4:40 PM

I have to agree with AP that the “flip flop” they caught Fred in is very weak.

Fred’s campaign says he hasn’t signed the Fair Tax pledge to replace federal taxes with the fair tax.

The Fair Tax video is of someone asking Fred “Senator, if the House and Senate pass the ‘Fair Tax’ bill do you feel right now that you would sign it?” On the video, Fred says “Yeah, absolutely.”

How are those two things a flip flop or a contradiction? One is a question of whether or not he has signed a pledge. The other is a question of whether or not he feels he would sign the legislation if it passed.

I’m far from a Fred supporter, but the media is stretching waaaaay to thin on this one. There’s no flip flop at all.

Now, if they had said “Fred is against the FairTax and will never sign it”, that would be something else…..but this? A non-issue.

JadeNYU on July 31, 2007 at 4:42 PM

see-dubya on July 31, 2007 at 4:37 PM

I would love to see Michelle interview all the major candidates. Mitt, Rudy, and Fred.

infidel4life on July 31, 2007 at 4:42 PM

Im still with Fred!, and will be to the end. I keep my friends close and my enemies closer, maybe that is what Fred! is doing also?

I sure do wish he would freakin’ declare already though!

heatherrc77 on July 31, 2007 at 4:43 PM

AP you have had as many as six obvious opportunities to criticize Fred at once on the front page…it got a little ridiculous(no-make that boring) a couple of weeks ago…at the same time Fred is now making all the wrong moves…and deserves criticism for it…he is surrounding himself with TERRIBLE people…and not just the ones that make the headlines…I know of a totally morally corrupt company here in DC they have hired…If they really cared OR had done some research they would know this is a conservative group only if the cause is green. This group is ALREADY raising money for ANOTHER presidential candidate! And,I have doubts about another no-name advisor that was seated with Fred & Jeri at a private event.Now, with the in-the-paper stuff; McCain is an amnesty a$$hole yet they grab his guys…and Mary Matalin is part of the PROBLEM!!!!! of the GOP…goodness gracious put her to pasture already…IMHO I do think Fred was unfairly targeted here a little early for criticisim because of his popularity…but with the non-campaign’s non-answering of questions I think they messed up the timing a little bit and all of us are feeling a little disrespected…the debates are ridiculous because of the media but if you want in you need to jump in…

DCJeff on July 31, 2007 at 4:45 PM

I always thought it was about the traffic. Fred threads get lots of comments. The other candidates don’t generate as much buzz, probably because we know more about them and there is less to discuss – either like ‘em or don’t.

Not AP’s fault that the Fred news is slanted toward the negative, that’s the nature of the media covering (R) candidates, and AP covers the media. That’s a no-brainer. As for Abraham, I’m with LI. DS & MM can take a quick breather on that topic.

Spirit of 1776 on July 31, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Not exactly what I said but O.K. I am a long time HA reader, I link here frequently and have been fallacious of MM more than once. The issue isn’t whether or not the actual readership of HA and Jos are morally or socially similar (though the wailing of readers who think I may have said that though they have’nt read the post does seem Kosilian) the point is linking three Debbie Schulssel post in a week that claims Fred can’t make a good President because some guy that works for him woulnd’t.

Questioning his judgement because of this is fine, a little much, but fine. But can we at least admit that it’s Pandagonian, if not Kos-like, to demand that Fred associate himself only with people who are vetted by us? Or Debbie Schulssel? Like I said in that post, which most of you won’t read, I worked for YMCA’s and Head Starts for people to the left of of Kos, but because I was good at what I did they hired me even though they didn’t agree with me on much. Are they to lose their liberal credentials because I’m an old fashioned Reaganite?

Rob Taylor on July 31, 2007 at 4:49 PM

Fredheads….?
Mitts Mutts…?
What is it with the nicknames?

LakeRuins on July 31, 2007 at 4:30 PM

We’re a nickname society.

Off to donate to Hunter (so does that make me a Die-Hard Hunter? </80s_reference_bad>)

steveegg on July 31, 2007 at 4:49 PM

OK, I am sometimes away for days at a time. I’m guessing I must have missed something because this is the second or third post I have read on Fred! with no comments from csdeven.

Is csdeven still around?

IrishEi on July 31, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Or Debbie Schulssel?

Rob Taylor on July 31, 2007 at 4:49 PM

Could you, uh, not lump me in with Debbie Schlussel? Thanks. (I’m with you – I have no idea why they link to that knee-jerk reactionary.)

And while you’re at it … could you not lump us in with Kos? Thanks again.

fallacious of MM

Huh?

Professor Blather on July 31, 2007 at 4:56 PM

Hey, we’re asking legit questions, Spence Abraham was a bad move. Fred needs to make it damn clear we aren’t gonna get screwed again on immigration if we support him, that hiring Spence wasn’t a wink/nudge to the amnesty caucus. That’s on him, not us.

Oh and I just had my 7,500 hit on my blog, WOOOOO!!!!

Bad Candy on July 31, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Rob Taylor on July 31, 2007 at 4:49 PM

I read your post before I commented and I’m going to answer your comment. I don’t know why AP quoted DS, but it doesn’t really matter because some the resident Fred-heads here said that it (Abraham) was the first thing that gave them pause on Fred. That means the readers gave cred to DS’s (&MM’s) concerns, not just because it was another one in a string of Fred posts by AP.

Spirit of 1776 on July 31, 2007 at 5:00 PM

I’m tired of Fred already. If he is our last, best hope, we are in trouble.

PBoilermaker on July 31, 2007 at 4:03 PM

I agree. The first time I ever heard of Fred Thompson was when I was lurking on MM and everybody always typed that dang ! at the end like it was a statement or something Fred! I haven’t seen it anywhere else so I figure it was MM copying the Yahoo! logo.

From what I hear Fred! doesn’t do much deciding because he lets his wife do that anyway. I just don’t know much about him other than he’s an actor. He’s not from California so that could go against him. He just doesn’t seem presidential to me.

I’d certainly rather see a Duncan Hunter get a shot or even a Newt! if he wants it over a questionable Fred?

Having said that. . . it’s gotta be good to be compared to one of the most successful blogs in history for a site that’s only a year old. That’s some good pub there. But as I understand it, registration here is closed, but there anyone can get in at any time. I’d say that puts HA above their fray.

Having said that, it might be a good idea to plant some outrageous right wing stuff here just to get the media attention. I won’t do it, but if it’s done carefully – it could be effective.

ThackerAgency on July 31, 2007 at 5:00 PM

Yeah, you can’t keep open registration on a prominent conservative blog like this, the Kossacks and other assorted moonbats would be raiding it like crazy, the trolls would outnumber commenters.

Bad Candy on July 31, 2007 at 5:05 PM

You know, I can see being upset with him for not announcing he’s in yet, because at this point, it’s a bit of a farce.

But some of you, including Allah, are annoying the piss out of me with your unwillingness to support any of the major candidates just because they have a “less than perfect” record on abortion.

Rudy. Fred. Mitt. One of them is who’s going to get the nom. If you’re going to refuse to support any one of them just because they’re not super-hardcore-ultra-right-wing on the issue of abortion, then I don’t know what to tell you. Republicans sitting on their hands in 06 is what got us the current joke of a Democrat Congress, you want to hand the White House to them too? Suck up your lack of enthusiasm, because one of THOSE three guys is going to get the nom, and you’re going to have to either swallow that or get prepared for President Clinton (or even worse, Obama).

Vyce on July 31, 2007 at 5:06 PM

Nice job by Reuters there apostrophizin’ the gerund.

One more reason I love this site.

nailinmyeye on July 31, 2007 at 5:07 PM

You’re not getting “lumped in” with Kos, I’m saying if we start circulating Schulssels breathless harpyism and demanding that Fred make us happy top down, from what he says to who he hires, then we (I am a long time reader as well) are indeed turning from being the rightroots and parroting the left.

Fallacious meaning overly fawning, not in the vulgar sense though I use the word to shock people. My site is full of praise for MM, including posts with titiles like “Return of the Queen” about her return from Iraq. I’m a MM mark.

Rob Taylor on July 31, 2007 at 5:07 PM

Vyce on July 31, 2007 at 5:06 PM

Why would an athiest care about abortion?

DCJeff on July 31, 2007 at 5:08 PM

Vyce on July 31, 2007 at 5:06 PM

I could be wrong, but, it’s my understanding that AP is supporting Rudy.

JadeNYU on July 31, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Oh and I just had my 7,500 hit on my blog, WOOOOO!!!!

Bad Candy on July 31, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Congrats!!!! I bookmarked you awhile back after checking out your page because I disagreed with you on something…great site…I thank God every day to be born in a country that we can speak our minds…

DCJeff on July 31, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Why would an athiest care about abortion?

DCJeff on July 31, 2007 at 5:08 PM

Some don’t, and will revel in telling you so in as obnoxious terms as possible, but others are all across the spectrum of opinion.

As for why they might care, Natural Rights.

Bad Candy on July 31, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Maybe it’s just me, but I get the sense that Fred! is vetting himself through the media before he declares. On balance I think that shows weakness. We’ll see.
Randy

williars on July 31, 2007 at 5:18 PM

I’m sure it’s very flattering when someone writes an article like that about Hot Air, but it is entirely overwrought. Ask how many Republican voters have even heard of Hot Air, much less read it on a regular basis.

It’s like how people talk about “Beltway politics,” where nobody cares outside of the Washington Beltway. I guess because this guy from Red Alert is a conservative blogger, he thinks the world revolves around this kind of stuff. It doesn’t.

asc85 on July 31, 2007 at 5:23 PM

I could be wrong, but, it’s my understanding that AP is supporting Rudy.

JadeNYU on July 31, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Last I heard, he isn’t voting. I hope that changes though.

Esthier on July 31, 2007 at 5:27 PM

’76 I agree, which goes to the more general point about the rightoshpheere I was getting at. What do we want from candidates? I want some one who’s strong on defense, will be tough on the communist countries who are getting overlooked because of the immediate danger of Ilamism, and who can appeal to the big tent. Call me old fashioned, but I joined the G.O.P. because it was a big tent party with a lot of different people with different ideas, including Lebanese Christians who wanted to help stablize Lebanon.

I’m pro-choice and wouldn’t care if gays got married, I also think we should let Japan re-arm and be our proxy in Asia, cut support to Europe, bomb Iran and give illegals a choice of joining the military for a ten year peace keeping mission in Darfur or going home. No candidate agrees with me and I certainly don’t expect their staffers to either. But I still want the GOP to retain the White House and take back their seats. But if DS and those of like mind get their way we’ll all sit out the elections, let the Dems sweep it and then come here to bitch and moan every time carbomb goes off in one of our cities.

Rob Taylor on July 31, 2007 at 5:29 PM

Esthier on July 31, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Ahhhh….I missed that.

I guess this is what happens when you don’t read every post.

Well, I too hope he changes his mind.

JadeNYU on July 31, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Excuse the spelling, I meant Islamism not “llamism”, I’m in the middle of packing for a trip and typing isn’t my strong suit at the best of times.

Rob Taylor on July 31, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Look! Br… Oh, never mind.

As a longtime political consultant, let me say this about that, to quote the first guy I ever voted for:

All us hyperpolitical types, Fredheads or not, want Fred to declare. Why? Because we want the game to begin in earnest. Right now it’s like preseason football.

But believe it or not, many other Americans do not share our enthusiasm for the game. And there is no advantage to Fred to get into the race in August instead of September. He might be getting stale to us, but in September he’ll be fresh to normal people.

Fred is gambling that he can start late and win. If he pulls it off, maybe we can say good-bye to these damned interminable presidential campaigns.

km on July 31, 2007 at 5:38 PM

We can only dream, km, we can only dream.

Rob Taylor on July 31, 2007 at 5:48 PM

km on July 31, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Very true, but we are the people he needs to be impressing now…his grassroots people want me to help …not his official but his volunteer folks…I talked to them at the beginning of his non-campaign…and at this point there’s no way I’ll help them out…

DCJeff on July 31, 2007 at 5:52 PM

‘76 I agree, which goes to the more general point about the rightoshpheere I was getting at. [...]I think Fred can rally the GOP, all of it,and if anything his hiring practices reflect a move back toward the big tent. I think that’s good, others don’t.
Rob Taylor on July 31, 2007 at 5:29 PM

I would not argue with your points save this: you paint HA as an advocacy website. It’s not like Kos. Seems to be more of a news aggregate, tending to video news, and robot video site to me. And that has shifted even more in the few months with the regression of the vent and the addition of Headlines. What AP puts out there is a reflection of what MSM puts out there. Sure he and the others editorialize, but there is quite a bit of free thinking here.

Again, I don’t know why AP quoted DS, but your complaint is justly lodged with those that give that opinion credence, not with AP for airing what independently bothers a lot of Fred supports. As for whether Fred can rally the GOP, I’m interested to see if he can myself.

Spirit of 1776 on July 31, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Someone may have already posted this:

Bush’s Base Betrayal

Conservatives, Beware of Fred Thompson

MB4 on July 31, 2007 at 6:03 PM

including Lebanese Christians who wanted to help stablize Lebanon.

Just the issue here…the Lebanese Christians have aligned with HEZBOLLAH! It was well documented by Michael Totten for one.
Also, I agree DS is overwrought at times but she was the first to shed light on this hire. She might be a bit verbose and exciteable but she is often right on the money. Linking to her should not be a reason to dismiss the information.

labwrs on July 31, 2007 at 6:05 PM

It shows me that Fred! has no idea of the depth of the sentiment on the dimmification of America. It shows me that he is either rather uninformed or that he is swings more to politics than principle. Frankly, I’m quite sure that there are a number of available campaign manangers who don’t carry such a lot of baggage. It shows that he is out of touch with the base, and we really don’t need another 8 years of out-of-touch and unrepentant.

Add that to my irritation with his lengthy flirtation with the base (c’mon honey…just a little kiss), his folksy BS script and the fact that he looks more worn out and sluggish every day, and we have the reason that I am less than excited about him.

cat on July 31, 2007 at 6:05 PM

labwrs on July 31, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Very true.

“Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.

If you shoot for the stars and hit the moon, it’s OK. But you’ve got to shoot for something. A lot of people don’t even shoot.”

-Confucius

MB4 on July 31, 2007 at 6:14 PM

Absolutely! I for one do not look forward to a year+ of TV political ads – they could all save their money as far as I’m concerned. I get enough from the web to know which direction my vote will go.

IrishEyes on July 31, 2007 at 6:15 PM

This all is another reason why fred needs to declare. He no longer is managing the info about himself its all being spun elsewhere.

Fred has to declare where he stands on issues and regain control of message. That ultimately is the price for waiting too long is that you lose control of message to everyone else who takes advantage of you sitting and not playing thre game

William Amos on July 31, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Could you, uh, not lump me in with Debbie Schlussel? Thanks.

Professor Blather on July 31, 2007 at 4:56 PM

Yes, please don’t paint us with that brush.

infidel4life on July 31, 2007 at 6:33 PM

Not all Christians are allies of Hezbollah, and remember it was Christian militias who fought it out with Islamists in Lebanon for years, keeping that country from falling into radical hands. The Christians political alliance, forced on them by Syrain supporting party leaders, won’t last another war.

But that’s going far afield. Bush supports the Lebanese government, including the Christian factions allied with Hezbollah and and the various Islamist factions there. Is he soft on terror?

Bush reaches out to Muslims here all the time, and it’s often a mistake, but is he soft on terror?

Bush’s state dept. will work with hezbollah to secure a peace if possible, does that make Bush soft on terror? By the DS logic, and those supporting it, all these things make Bush as soft on terror as Ron Paul, but we know that isn’t the case.

Aslo as hard as I am on Schulssel, who I kind of like, it’s odd that so many people here agree with her 100%, but are quick to try to distance yourself from her to make yourselves seem more credible. Does’t that feel a little kosslovian to you?

Rob Taylor on July 31, 2007 at 6:49 PM

Rob Taylor on July 31, 2007 at 4:49 PM

Did your work at YMCA involve anything to do with national security?

Your implied analogy is equal to comparing a cheery with a prickly pear!!

PU..LEASE!

Mcguyver on July 31, 2007 at 7:01 PM

fred? does the damage to himself. He lies, he fakes, he lobbies. Reporting the truth about the facade fred? has created doesn’t qualify as “Kos-ifying” him.

It’s called vetting.

csdeven on July 31, 2007 at 7:21 PM

Mcguyver-the analogy isn’t comparing the importance of the two industries, I’m saying that you can’t judge a the politics of a person by who they hire to do administrative work. Liberals hired me because I could do they job they were asking me to do, just as Fred hired this guy, because he thinks he can get the campaign organized quick.

I’ll assume you knew that and were just being disingenuous. The alternative makes me sad.

Rob Taylor on July 31, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Hot Air has run stories on most of the candidates that are critical. I don’t belive anyone has been endorsed. This leads me to the conclusion…Hot Air is secretly a Democratic run site conduting hit jobs on concervatives.

This makes about as much sense as what RedAlert says

Resolute on July 31, 2007 at 7:32 PM

RW Wacko on July 31, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Oh yeah. I forgot… [scratching head]… red-alerts IS the definitive authority on what is un-American.

Thanks for the reminder wackjobber.

Mcguyver on July 31, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Nothing Kos like about you guys at all…

Rob Taylor on July 31, 2007 at 7:35 PM

You’re kinda missing a key point here. This is politics. Appearances matter. If Fred hired the best campaign manager in the world and that person happened to be a liberal Democrat, his candidacy would be over. Examining the credentials of the staff a presidential candidate matters, it gives you a clue as to the thinking of the candidate. Spencer Abraham was a good friend and co-Judiciary Committee member of Thompson’s in the Senate.

I’m not a bit surprised he hired him. When people finally get around to actually looking at Thompson’s record instead of pretending they are seeing a southern version of Reagan, they will find out that he has an almost identical voting record with Abraham on immigration issues.

If issues actually matter.

JackStraw on July 31, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Today Reagan would have been dumped by you guys…never forget that.

tomas on July 31, 2007 at 7:49 PM

Rob Taylor on July 31, 2007 at 7:35 PM

The perception that is generated by a candidates selections for his staff cannot be ignored. Educated voters may not see it as a problem, but regular folks might, if the information is not presented in the way the candidate would like it presented.

IE…we all know fred? is going to try and dissociate himself from his lobbying clients etc with the typical lawyer rational that a lawyer only represents the views of the client and not his own. The problem is that lobbyists have a bad reputation, ala Abramoff, and regular joes inherently distrust lobbyists. I believe the same is true for this Abraham appointment. freds? legalese explanation wont fly with regular folks and the presentation of the guys history by freds? detractors will add to the distrust.

For the most part, I personally don’t give a rats patootie about freds? staff because in my opinion, his basic character and history eliminates him from consideration as the best candidate. freds? history (and his behavior) is his own worse enemy.

csdeven on July 31, 2007 at 7:52 PM

Rob–

I see your point, but bear in mind that Michelle’s objection to Abraham wasn’t based solely on a DS post. She had criticized Abraham’s track record on open borders back in her first book, Invasion. That’s by now a long-standing criticism and it would be odd–in fact dishonest–if Michelle didn’t call him on an alarming choice.

No one around here that I can see is calling on Abraham to be fired immediately, nor to vet all of the candidate’s personnel. But it seems reasonable to ask for assurances that this isn’t an endorsement of Abraham’s immigration stance (which seems to be at odds with Fred’s own) and that if he is appointed to a Fred White House he won’t be deciding thsoe questions.

see-dubya on July 31, 2007 at 7:54 PM

Today Reagan would have been dumped by you guys…never forget that.

tomas on July 31, 2007 at 7:49 PM

For once I actually agree with tomas.

The nit-picking of all of the republican candidates here is getting ridiculous. And had Reagan been nit-picked like this, he would have never withstood muster here at HotAir.

thirteen28 on July 31, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Rob Taylor on July 31, 2007 at 7:29 PM

You are obviously a career politico, frothing at the mouth

as a metro sexual with all sorts of politically correct

debate awards won at the Blithering Carnival of The Worlds

Most Prominent Metro Sexuals.

Good for you… [cheers]…

But for the rest of who didn’t quite pass those tests,

we call a non-castrated male horse a Stallion…

.. and the rest we call geldings.

Why?

Because it makes our life easier.

Mcguyver on July 31, 2007 at 7:57 PM

Far be it from me to defend AP, but I been asking him for months to stop using the professionally retouched photos of fred? in his topics. I would think that if AP was trying to hamstring fred? he would use this picture of him all the time. I didn’t know fred? starred in Poltergeist II.

csdeven on July 31, 2007 at 8:08 PM

One of the biggest weaknesses with conservatives is the apparent desire to see their own candidates destroy each other like a bunch of hens at a pecking party. Often all that remains afterwards is a bloody mess of feathers and then we end up with the guy who was lucky but possibly a poor choice.

Of course we could do it like the DEMs who want Slick Willy back for an encore but have to elect his wife to make that happen.

Buzzy on July 31, 2007 at 8:10 PM

Reagan would have won anyway because he won California. If any Republican ever wins California, there’s no need for a Presidential campaign.

I’m in agreement though I left out the part about the gay marriage and the pro-choice thing. Gay marriage is like ‘hate crime’. It’s agenda is flawed and actually it promotes a lifestyle that is as hazardous to your health as smoking (AIDS) – the arguments not associated with the ‘morality’. The pro choice thing has to do with whether or not you believe that everyone has a right to life. This isn’t about birth control to avoid creating a life, this is about once a life is created, do we protect it.

Other than that you are dead on and I’d vote for you for President. (how’s that for nitpicking?)

ThackerAgency on July 31, 2007 at 8:17 PM