Video: “The Procedure”

posted at 9:55 pm on July 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

New from Will Ferrell’s site, “Funny or Die.” He’s been calling in B- and C-list celebrities to appear in the feature clips over the past few months to help promote the launch; Dafoe is a slight step up in prestige. Pretty clearly there’s no script beyond a barebones outline. They just show up for the shoot, let ‘er rip for a few hours, and harvest what they’ve got later on the editing machine. My sense is that’s how “Anchorman” worked too. The problem with doing things that way is that you end up with a lot of crap material (enough to make an entire, awful feature-length film, in fact).

I guess they didn’t shoot enough here to cull four good minutes because what we’re left with is a good concept, a few good gags, and a lot of dead stretches.

Comments

What, no iPod implant?

Kini on July 30, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Hhhhmmmmmmm………….Emotionally damaged individuals, unhappy with life, who have a constantly repeating mindless theme implanted in their brains. Can you say L-I-B-E-R-A-L ?

D0WNT0WN on July 30, 2007 at 10:18 PM

I actually enjoyed “Wake Up Ron Burgundy”. The part with Champ Kind telling Ron how much he loved him was hilarious, as was Brick eating the used coffee filter filled with cigarette butts.

jayj on July 30, 2007 at 10:25 PM

The plot was too predictable. We’ve all had the melody that won’t go away. As for humor, I really found none. The cursing toddler was better than this.

thedecider on July 30, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Yes too predictable I had to live with 1 or on rare occasions 2 stations during high school in my home town of 1900 people it was top 10 or nothing grrrrr I know how this guy felt!

allrsn on July 30, 2007 at 10:41 PM

Since when is Willem Dafoe B-list or C-list???

MadisonConservative on July 30, 2007 at 10:47 PM

I liked it!

frankj on July 30, 2007 at 11:20 PM

What song would you get implanted in your head?

I might go with Jenny 8675309.

Bad Penny on July 30, 2007 at 11:38 PM

D0WNT0WN on July 30, 2007 at 10:18 PM

Heh, funny and oh so true!

Liberty or Death on July 30, 2007 at 11:59 PM

What song would you get implanted in your head?

I might go with Jenny 8675309.

Bad Penny on July 30, 2007 at 11:38 PM

Led Zep, Tangerine

Liberty or Death on July 31, 2007 at 12:00 AM

What song would you get implanted in your head?

GnR – Nightrain

MadisonConservative on July 31, 2007 at 12:27 AM

Diamond Age, Neal Stephenson

Nonfactor on July 31, 2007 at 12:48 AM

I liked it too.
Those chumps just chose the wrong song.

thegreatbeast on July 31, 2007 at 12:51 AM

Well freakin’ Chocolate Rain won’t get out of my head. Darn you Allahpundit!

see-dubya on July 31, 2007 at 1:17 AM

Well freakin’ Chocolate Rain won’t get out of my head. Darn you Allahpundit!

see-dubya on July 31, 2007 at 1:17 AM

Darn you had to bring that up!
I had just replaced Choc Rain with Edelweiss and now it’s back.

Darn you see-dubya!

TheSitRep on July 31, 2007 at 6:36 AM

What song would you get implanted in your head?

“The First Circle” by Pat Metheny. (Google it, people!)

I’d pay to get that implanted in my head. Come to think of it, I already have.

inviolet on July 31, 2007 at 6:45 AM

I see the problem. They all left the stitches in way too long.

mikeyboss on July 31, 2007 at 7:10 AM

“Funny or Die.”

Prophetic. Can we get on to the dying part?

James on July 31, 2007 at 7:42 AM

What, no iPod implant?

Kini on July 30, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Was thinking along the same lines. Though truth be told, the next step is to have a jack implanted in that bone behind your ear wired to the aural nerve. I just hope they think of putting in a buffer so you can’t over drive it and fry your brain. To quote Lost Boys. “Death by stereo.”

There were some places I did laugh though. Though should have went with the irony of the lyrics in awkward situations though. Or hearing the song overtop of what someone was actually saying that’s just wrong, so wrong. But they went with easy instead.

- The Cat

P.S. reminds me of one of the things on bash.org About the guy that had his mp3 player on when we went to the mens room. Un zipped right when the theme to Rocky started playing. “I’ve never felt more manly than in that moment.”

MirCat on July 31, 2007 at 9:55 AM

I would’ve rather have watched the effete physical fitness guy again than have watched that but as Eisenhower said, “Hindsight is a lot more accurate than foresight but a lot less useful.”

srhoades on July 31, 2007 at 3:30 PM