Fizzle? Fred to announce he raised $3M in June; Update: Unfair expectations?

posted at 4:38 pm on July 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

I mentioned this last week but Politico went and got some tasty quotes for the occasion. I’d say between this and conservatives blanching at his association with Spencer Abraham, the Fred backlash is now in full swing. Sounds like an obituary!

Fred Thompson plans to announce Tuesday that his committee to test the waters for a Republican presidential campaign raised slightly more than $3 million in June, substantially less than some backers had hoped, according to Republican sources…

Many Republicans had seen the “Law & Order” actor and former U.S. senator from Tennessee as a potential savior in a tough election cycle.

But many Republicans have turned queasy as Thompson has ousted part of his original brain trust and repeatedly delayed his official announcement, which is now planned for shortly after Labor Day, in the first two weeks of September.

Some are already saying a prospective Thompson run is a flop. “I just don’t see it anymore,” said a key Republican who had been extremely enthusiastic about a Thompson candidacy.

“That number is really underwhelming. There were indications it could be double that. They’ve been saying that people were waiting for Fred, and the money was going to pour in. He looks like he’s already losing momentum.”

What’s been his biggest problem so far? Abraham, the striptease over when he’s going to declare, or the LA Times abortion lobby story? I think it’s the last one, not because the facts of did him any real harm but because, as the conservative messiah, he’s the guy we all wanted to trust and it turned out his campaign was BS-ing us right out of the box about what he had and hadn’t done. Plus, it didn’t exactly burnish his credentials as a Reaganesque communicator. If you’re going to spin, you’ve got to do it more artfully than that.

Update: Rob Port notes that exploratory committees are bound by law not to raise more money than they need to operate committee; only after the official announcement can they legally start racking up big dollars. That’s fine, but in that case why were Fred’s “First Day Founders” initially asked to bring in $4.6 million? Or even $5 million?

Comments

wow this candidacy went fast in an ugly direction. the wheels comming of the car before the car is even out of the factory cant be good.

zane on July 30, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Dub Yuh’s political career was built on exceeding expectations.

Fred should’ve learned from that.

Labamigo on July 30, 2007 at 4:42 PM

It’s not yet August, let’s not shoot this horse just yet.

/cornpone

omnipotent on July 30, 2007 at 4:42 PM

Allow me an idealist pseudo-liberal moment here…

I’m very, very saddened that the presidential race has become a fundraising race. Could we possibly hear their opinions, not their cash registers? Why is 3 million dollars in a month, an amount I will never see in my lifetime, somehow insufficient to make your voice heard? What is that…$100,000 a day? Do you really need to serve all the people that visit champagne cocktails? Jesus tap dancing Christ…what happened to the ISSUES?

MadisonConservative on July 30, 2007 at 4:43 PM

A man’s ability to organize a campaign, and raise money – like it or not – it says a lot about the man.

Fred showed all the potential – but is now showing little in reality.

He is going to have to make some big splash to push Rudy and Mitt to the side.

I don’t see it happening.

jake-the-goose on July 30, 2007 at 4:44 PM

I think the comparison of temporal summation to reach threshold is the most relevant. Fred has had his first impulse, he is clearly coming down off the crest.

The question is whether he can fire another impulse and build momentum and strength, be it with announcing or whatever, or whether he was just a twitch.

Spirit of 1776 on July 30, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Fred showed all the potential

Wait, when did Fred show potential? He’s an actor that plays a Republican on TV, and he had an undistinguished Senate career. Y’all were fooled by the Southern accent. The only potential he showed was GOP voters’ potential for Obamamania.

Enrique on July 30, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Now there was some commenter around here who had been saying it wasn’t going to happen. I can’t quite place my finger on it, but I’ll get back to you when I can remember.

amerpundit on July 30, 2007 at 4:52 PM

“He attracted support from such top-shelf party figures as Mary Matalin, Liz Cheney, George P. Bush and other GOP stalwarts who saw him as a potential Hillary Clinton slayer.”

George P. Bush is bad company too, for the same immigration-oriented reasons as Abraham.

Alex K on July 30, 2007 at 4:52 PM

The great conservative hope isn’t going to last as long as Ron Paul? That’s not good. Not good at all.

Drew on July 30, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Its early in the presidentual campaign This is the fundraising season part of it. Its the press that keeps pushing it making it longer and longer than it should be

The first presidentual primary is in JANUARY. Yet we have had several debates and lots of news.

The process is broken because we have allowed the media to break it. The news is becoming faster than truth and we kepe pushing it more.

I think its a bit unfair to jump on Fred for not jumping into this morass sooner. Hell how soon do you really have to declare ?

William Amos on July 30, 2007 at 4:52 PM

In spite of everything else, the major complaint I hear about Thompson is his delaying declaring. I think he seriously underestimated the impatience of most people. America has for the most part become an “I want it now.” society, unwilling to wait for anything.

Personally, I don’t care about his not declaring. I think all the candidates jumped the gun in this election cycle. If it keeps up, we’ll have people declaring right after the inauguration speech is over.

For me his biggest problem right now is Abraham. There are other things that bother me, and if he doesn’t do some kind of explaining soon he may as well pack it in. His silence recently is possibly the most disturbing thing.

Kowboy on July 30, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Too much dancing around. S or get off the pot Fred.

Dash on July 30, 2007 at 4:54 PM

William Amos on July 30, 2007 at 4:52 PM

When 17 of the 18 candidates declare, and the 18th waits until further in, the 18th is late.

amerpundit on July 30, 2007 at 4:56 PM

Response? Yea, I have a response. Ah, what?

JackStraw on July 30, 2007 at 5:02 PM

He’s gotta announce already. Enough dancing.

Karol on July 30, 2007 at 5:02 PM

The problems began with Fred’s poor performances at live events, both scripted and not. He gave some poor speeches, he gave some interviews in which he said little or nothing, or had to be rescued by a sympathetic interviewer from stepping in it bigtime, and he manifested some truly annoying verbal tics – the constant “uhs,” “ums,” and throat-clearing. He doesn’t look too sharp either – he’s got decades of perfectly lit and miked movie and TV appearances, as a younger man, to live up to, and he can’t.

He and the nascent campaign rightly concluded that he wasn’t ready for broad exposure. If he HAD been ready to go, he could have taken the wave at the crest, and campaigned like a sumbitch at least to the nomination. Instead, they decided that they had to have everything nailed down 100%, set up a campaign organization to protect, support, develop, and frame both the candidate and the message. The result was a relative news vacuum, and complete loss of message control. His hesitation about declaring fit with too many other narratives hovering around the edges: In sum, he gave the impression of someone who was hiding for good reason, if not multiple good reasons.

He’s now going to have to surprise us all over again to have a chance.

CK MacLeod on July 30, 2007 at 5:03 PM

csdeven smiles

Brat on July 30, 2007 at 5:05 PM

As much as I like Fred, his stalling on tipping his name into the mix has turned me off! If elected, will he react this slowly to everything thrown at him as POTUS?

Pam on July 30, 2007 at 5:08 PM

If Fred? had executive experience, he would know about managing expectations and executing a plan according to a schedule. Those are important qualities in a President. Wowwing party regulars with blog posts is not.

pedestrian on July 30, 2007 at 5:09 PM

amerpundit on July 30, 2007 at 4:56 PM

Just out of curiosity when do you get to cast your first vote for the Republican nominee ? Mine is in May of 2008.

Just how late is too late ?

William Amos on July 30, 2007 at 5:09 PM

I think you’re wrong on this. I think the teasing with whether he’ll run or not is pissing off the activists, who you usually rely on for your ground campaign.

That said, I think the hiring of Abraham was a major mistake, and when the shockwave hits when people see what Abraham is, unless he goes all out in saying things aren’t gonna go Spence’s way and have it be believable, it’ll do serious damage to his campaign. Because that hiring can easily be read as a signal to the amnesty set.

Bad Candy on July 30, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Pam on July 30, 2007 at 5:08 PM

That’s my concern. As I’ve stated before, Fred is my second choice, potentially ending up being my first. But all of this delaying certainly is a turn-off, and potential concern.

amerpundit on July 30, 2007 at 5:10 PM

JackStraw on July 30, 2007 at 5:02 PM

Sorry, let me rephrase: Stimulus that is sequenced to take advantage of the previous stimuli, creating a upward trending baseline until reaching a threshold. Pretty much all, ahem, climaxes are a process of temporal summation – here threshold or climax is winning the election.

I think this is Fred’s biggest weakness so far, actually. He hasn’t shown much ability to follow up on successes or expand his campaign, just seems to milking what works until its dry. But maybe he’s doing it somewhere I’m just not seeing.

Spirit of 1776 on July 30, 2007 at 5:11 PM

William Amos on July 30, 2007 at 5:09 PM

January. I think Florida’s the first state primary, but I could be wrong.

amerpundit on July 30, 2007 at 5:11 PM

3 million in a month and he hasn’t even declared yet?!! Seems pretty good to me.

Ex-tex on July 30, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Kowboy on July 30, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Ditto. I don’t know how he can pull that one out. Is he ignorant of who Spencer is? Was he fooled? Does he not care? There’s no good answer.

But I don’t like any of the other candidates any better. If we could get some kind of Frankencandidate – Fred’s communication skills (his writing and radio spots were great), Rudy’s tough on terrorism, McCain’s fiscal good points, Tancredo’s immigration stance… you get the idea.

Laura on July 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Fred! hasn’t even declared and you guys are burying him already.

This is a funny election cycle already. “Funny” strange, not “funny” ha-ha.

Fred on July 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM

It’s halftime, not the 4th quarter at the two minute warning.

Limerick on July 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Spirit of 1776 on July 30, 2007 at 5:11 PM

I was just kidding. My analysis is much simpler, like me.

Fred was never all that. Or to put in language Fred would appreciate, Big hat, No cattle.

JackStraw on July 30, 2007 at 5:15 PM

JackStraw on July 30, 2007 at 5:15 PM

I figured you were, but just in case.

Big hat, no cattle. Nice.

Spirit of 1776 on July 30, 2007 at 5:17 PM

Ex-tex on July 30, 2007 at 5:12 PM

His campaign expected $5 million for June.

amerpundit on July 30, 2007 at 5:17 PM

According to a local channel in Tenn., Mitt Romney raised twice the moola Fred did in that state.

amerpundit on July 30, 2007 at 5:21 PM

I also feel many republican’s frustrations. I for one am tired of punching bag GW who has lost his fire and fight.

But neither am I willing to push for republicans to burn themselves ot running around for two years facing whatever freakshow or circus the media wants to fling at them.

Leadership sometimes is waiting for the right time to act.

We have taken a lot of hits over the past few years. But Im not so willing to lose sight of the prize. Its upsetting that we lost congress but if we win the White House in 2008 that still gives us a lot of power in what happens in this country.

We have the chance to make a conservative majority in the supreme court that will last for decades. We need a strong President because the fight in the WOT isnt over. We need a strong President to curd the excess that the demcratic congress is going to start throwing around. The fairnes doctrine and immigrantion amnesty ? What chance do we have to stop that if the dems win the White House ?

So I care LESS about who is in the race at what time. Its the same with the YouTube debate we have raging now. We seem to be more worried with apperances rather than winning.

So I will keep my eyes on the prize and not worry about who is looking good in a beauty pagent contest.

William Amos on July 30, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Some of you are missing the point. It’s not that $3 million is necessarily bad or that this proves that he is done.

The point is the perception of a faltering or problematic campaign. He let expectations skyrocket but didn’t define said expectations. He let others do that for him. Those expectations obviously were too much to bear, and the fact we’re even debating this topic proves that it was a mistake to let that happen.

He needed to temper things as he got settled into his candidacy. Get the bugs out, THEN show the voters/media what you can do as a Presidential candidate.

Instead, he is stuck with the perception of a candidate who may really be just like Wesley Clark, a flash in the pan.

EduardoOTI on July 30, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Their up! Their down! Their in! Their out!…..
I’m more then happy to wait for Groundhogs Day. While I want Fred! in if he doesn’t cut the mustard then so be it.
I’m not going to burn my Checkers poster over it.

Limerick on July 30, 2007 at 5:26 PM

3 million!?!

After paying his son a 1.5 million “consulting” fee, that only leaves 1.5 million for the campaign.

tommylotto on July 30, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Are some Republican bloggers eager to call Fred’s movement dead and a failure much the same way the MSM has been declaring the Iraq war dead and a failure just because they didn’t have the patience.

Who’s really supportive here then?

Kokonut on July 30, 2007 at 5:30 PM

I don’t think freddie boy is done yet, but clearly he’s more talk than substance and others are seeing it to now.

I have a question…..since fred? wasn’t really running a campaign, what happens to the cash that has been donated (if he decides not to run)? We know what he did with the leftovers from his senate coffers. He hired his son and the lions share went to him. If fred? doesn’t run, does he put the cash into another PAC and then hire Jeri to administer it or was there some sort of guarantee that the donations will go back to their rightful owners?

csdeven on July 30, 2007 at 5:35 PM

Kokonut on July 30, 2007 at 5:30 PM

It’s because he’s dilly-dallying. We’re physically fighting hard in Iraq. Fred, on the other hand, is taking his sweet time to declare.

amerpundit on July 30, 2007 at 5:35 PM

I think it’s the striptease over declaring. It’s a tired act, and as he hesitates on his commitment to run, people will hesitate on their commitment of funds.

If he’d already declared, the whole LA Times scoop would have been nothing.

thirteen28 on July 30, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Fred, on the other hand, is taking his sweet time to declare.

amerpundit on July 30, 2007 at 5:35 PM

Which doesn’t bother me. Everyone else jumping into the pool before it had any water in it is what has bothered me. Are we going to be so burned out on politics by the time the election rolls around that most people are just going to want to get it over with and won’t really give a damn who wins? Could that have been the Dem’s strategy all along?

Kowboy on July 30, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Robert Spencer, Fred, not Spence Abraham!

profitsbeard on July 30, 2007 at 5:39 PM

csdeven on July 30, 2007 at 5:35 PM

That’s a great idea! I’m so doing that when I’m old enough to be president. I’m gonna run a Ron Paul style kook campaign, get people to give me their money, then end my run and book to some island with my piles of money, Brilliant!

Bad Candy on July 30, 2007 at 5:39 PM

Uh, hold on you fred?heads…..these fund raising numbers are for JUNE. Whatever the problem was it was well before the staff shake-ups and the abortion issue.

If you want to know what the real problem is, just go back to April, May, and June, and read what those of us who weren’t fooled by freds? BS were writing.

I figure he did better in July, but clearly, after the events of the last few weeks, I doubt he will do half as well.

csdeven on July 30, 2007 at 5:43 PM

Laura on July 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM

None of the above perhaps? I don’t think anyone else would take the job. freds? hard up and has to take what he can get. Maybe he thinks the guy can save it long enough to get real heavy duty conservatives to buy into his BS?

csdeven on July 30, 2007 at 5:47 PM

It’s halftime, not the 4th quarter at the two minute warning.

Limerick on July 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM

I agree, but think it is more like the 2nd quarter. When he announces and begins his campaign, either he will dazzle people to the point they will forget the “teasing” or he’ll run a flat campaign and fade away.

While I am a little tired of waiting, I figure it’s a long campaign season and if he is in by Labor Day, no biggie. I consider his handling of the LA Times story as a bogey on the first hole. He still has time to show that is not how he handles such issues typically and change the perception that has developed.

I am much more disturbed about this Spencer Abraham and his views regarding jihadists and radical muslims. I haven’t heard Fred! try to explain that one. Since national security and Iraq is a key issue, I don’t see Abraham squaring with Fred!’s views. This may be, for me, the make or break issue with him.

Mallard T. Drake on July 30, 2007 at 5:52 PM

It’s halftime, not the 4th quarter at the two minute warning.

Limerick on July 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Not halftime, We have not even had the team introductions yet!

Look, I like Fred, still, I do have some problems with the Spence Abraham thing. The rest of the so-called issues I have seen are nothing compared to Rudy, Mitt, Hillary or Obama’s skeletons. They all have something in the background to dig up and you can bet your ass they will. It has been pretty dissapointing for me to watch so called conservatives attack and eat their own so vicously lately.

When it comes right down to it I will support whomever gets the nomination. And I expect you all will too. Even if it is (gasp) Fred.

conservnut on July 30, 2007 at 5:56 PM

It’s gonna be pretty difficult for Fred to say he was ignorant of who Spencer Abraham is given that they served on the Judiciary Committee together.

Fred on immigration.

Spencer on immigration.

Wow. These guys have completely different records. Oh wait, no they don’t.

JackStraw on July 30, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Labor Day is the ‘traditional’ kick off date. I sure hope that in 2011 we won’t have already been in a Presidental race for a year. Pretty good strategy for the socialists. Americans have a pretty short attention span and all that yak-yak-yak for 2+ years will be great cover for them. No one will be listening.

Limerick on July 30, 2007 at 6:02 PM

It’s not halftime, it’s not the fourth quarter — it’s not even game one of the regular season yet.

I’m not worried about why the MSM attacks on Fred are making all of you toe the line on this downfall scenario. Good grief, are we all teenagers who have to have the big red sportscar now?

The campaign hasn’t even started yet and some of us seem to be writing it off as a loss already.

Oh. BTW. Who’s polling first or second at the moment?

Who’s raised a gazillion dollars and is a distant third or fourth? Who’s spent millions on advertising and hasn’t moved into double digits on the polls yet?

Who’s never going to connect with the conservative base because he’s a big city mayor with all of those blue state ideas?

Who’s a one-issue candidate that hasn’t a prayer of getting the nomination?

Who’s the best conservative out there who also doesn’t have a prayer of the nomination or the general?

Fred Thompson, in my opinion, is the best hope we have to keep the White House. I’ve never seen so many jackals come on the attack so quickly when the MSM says boo!

Tennman on July 30, 2007 at 6:10 PM

Lazy bum raised 3M, only. MSM was right. Wife’s a “bitch”. Staff left because of her. She’s a trophy, or not. But, she’s pretty, some say. Hillary camp mad as hell due to focus on looks. Every Arab is a bad one. Michigan, won by Kerry, doesn’t have 17 electors,…wait, it does. Gingrich is not in FT’s camp…wait, he is because FT can only read from what others hand him…he needs Gingrich (who can’t win because he’s intelligent but undisciplined)…

Stillborn? This guy was aborted at concept(ion) by the left and the right.

Romney/csdeven or csdeven/Romney

Entelechy on July 30, 2007 at 6:10 PM

Well, isn’t the MSM were the ones who being saying we’re not doing it hard enough in Iraq and that we’re in there too long taking “our time” by not training the Iraqi troops fast enough?? And that they’re taking too long fighting in Iraq?

BTW, didn’t Fred say he’s getting a new website up soon? Either we can become our own worst enemy or we don’t. Why don’t we just join the MSM and Lefties to help further ensure that Fred can’t run. Nobody is dying from Fred not announcing soon enough or is that the distinction you’re trying to make Ameripundit? Sure, many are anxious about Fred’s announcement but I’m not that kid in the back seat of the car asking my Dad every 15 minutes, “Are we there yet?” “Are we there yet?”

Patience people.

Kokonut on July 30, 2007 at 6:15 PM

I was interested in Fred until I started to learn more specifically about his record on illegal immigration. It isn’t pretty. He’s almost as bad as John McCain and George Bush. No thanks.

Zetterson on July 30, 2007 at 6:15 PM

“being” = been

Kokonut on July 30, 2007 at 6:18 PM

Fizzle? Fred to announce…

Hmmm. According to yourdictionary.com

fiz·zle
1. To make a hissing or sputtering sound.
2. Informal To fail or end weakly, especially after a hopeful beginning.
n.
Informal
A failure; a fiasco….

Word History: ….a vivid example of the original meaning of the word fizzle, which was, in the decorous phrasing of the Oxford English Dictionary, “to break wind without noise.”

I believe that the more modern nomenclature is SBD (silent, but deadly). I’ll leave it to the readership to decide if AP’s title is apropos.

CyberCipher on July 30, 2007 at 6:20 PM

Fred is it. We can have our questions but look at a candidate map. He’s it folks. He’s going to be Eisenhower the 2nd. Remember we’re electing the next CINC for the Iran war. Do you want a wussy like Hitlery or an Eisenhower?

Mojave Mark on July 30, 2007 at 6:25 PM

From: http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/010677.php

There is also a technical term for a supposedly high-ranking GOP operative who would so quickly conclude that $3 million raised in 26 days for an unannounced candidate is evidence of “a flop.” That technical term is “unvarnished garbage.” No truly experienced national political operative would make such a claim, unless he was talking to a reporter looking for a quote that serves somebody’s agenda.

Surely no one here has an agenda, right?

jdawg on July 30, 2007 at 6:26 PM

Eisenhower?

Mojave Mark on July 30, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Cheers. Here’s to male pattern baldness (I guess).

CyberCipher on July 30, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Surely no one here has an agenda, right?

jdawg on July 30, 2007 at 6:26 PM

Agendas?

Get the f— outta here!!!

thirteen28 on July 30, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Mojave Mark on July 30, 2007 at 6:25 PM

I’m not sure about that Mojave Mark. Unlike before there are two parts to this game now. One is the foreign war. The other is the invasion by foreigners onto US soil. Fred’s record in regards to the second aspect is more then worrisome to me. I had started looking into that a little while back and was not happy about his past record. Unfortunately, the Spencer Abraham hire confirmed some of my newly acquired suspicions. That has got to change if I’m ever going to support him. I doubt I ever will.

Zetterson on July 30, 2007 at 6:39 PM

In ’04 New Mexico barely made it into the red column and we know that it has moved into the purple, if not into the blue, and has Richardson.

I’d gladly give up NM for MI.

Entelechy on July 30, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Zetterson on July 30, 2007 at 6:39 PM

You forgot the enablers here in our own country – some of whom are elected oficials in our own congress.

jdawg on July 30, 2007 at 7:01 PM

The guy needs to quit screwing around and just declare. I don’t care if he’s waiting until September to get around some fundraising loophole or whatever. Gotta win the PR war. He makes jokes saying he’s not being coy and all that, but the time for jokes is over. Declare, get into the debates and show everyone your serious, then the money will follow.

Jim-Rose on July 30, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Entelechy on July 30, 2007 at 6:10 PM

Nice synopsis and pretty much in agreement with it. I’m not comfortable either with the hooptehah about Abraham.
He was born in the US and has served honorably in his various positions. The irony is that the Republicans made the most of this and have helped put Fred on the ropes with a standing eight count.

Bradky on July 30, 2007 at 7:23 PM

I have one question for FDT and his staff: do they know how to use Google? It seems to me, if they did, a few things would have been obvious; namely, Spence Abraham’s association with blocking foreign student tracking, as part of his open borders, pro-Abrab/Muslim stance in the Senate. Then there’s FDT’s support for Campaign Finance Reform during his stint in the Senate, including a press release he put out praising it after it was passed, in spite of the brou-ha-ha genenerated against it as an affront to the first amendment, by conservatives on the net.

There’s more — including the fact that a filing cabinet worth of info (such as billing records from a lobbyist) can be digitally stored to be retrieved effortlessly years later. You have to wonder if these people are as net-savvy as they painted themselves in the beginning; or if anyone of them, including the candidate, paid a fig’s worth of attention to “information technology” before Fred decided to run.

Nichevo on July 30, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Nichevo on July 30, 2007 at 7:43 PM

How many millions of dollars do you need to spend to “explore” a presidential run? It’s not a hard decision. You are taking in millions of dollars and you are either: A. Running for President or B. Bilking people of millions of dollars to keep your ugly mug in the news. Now which is it? As someone said earlier: Crap or get off the pot. I’m tired of hearing about it.

calirighty on July 30, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Anyone remember George H W Bush “voodoo economics”?

Anyone remember David Stockman “rosy scenario” fiscal policy.

Who controls policy? The vice-president? The budget director? Or in this case, the campaign manager? I think it’s too early to tell about the Thompson policy impact of Abraham.

Didn’t the Dims accuse Miguel Estrada of causing many of Anthony Kennedy’s opinions to be more conservative than Kennedy would have liked? I watched that and thought: “if I was Kennedy I’d be pissed, some asshole Senators saying my clerk controlled my opinions”. Same concept here. It all depends on who’s in control of policy.

About the fundraising…? Don’t know the significance yet.

jaime on July 30, 2007 at 7:54 PM

If you hang with Islamo-facists-apologists, you don’t get my vote. This is America. Not Ameristan. Sorry Fred. You’re out.

Now, Republocraps, oh-party-that-I-once-supported, you can commence calling me a racist and then snear at my middling roots. Then you can eat ballot-chad-soup in ’08.

I am already bracing for a Hillary 4 years. Only Guiliani could sway me now (I just won’t vote mind you, I will NEVER vote for Hillary).

Montana on July 30, 2007 at 9:11 PM

Fred’s money won’t roll in till he announces but his hiring Abraham as campaign manager will hurt his chances, badly.

Buzzy on July 30, 2007 at 9:13 PM

One advantage of not officially running yet is that FT can hire and fire people before he gets going in earnest. We’ll probably see Abraham get “Harriet Mier-ed.” Hey dude, take one for the team.

Obama was raised Muslim so he’s in the tank for the iFascists. Hitlery would enable, while her VP, B. Hussein Obama, carried the terrorists’ water. Fred needs to make a clear distinction between himself and the jihadist enablers and “reassign” Abraham. He can be ambassador to Qatar when Fred’s in the White House.

Mojave Mark on July 30, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Why is everone getting thier panties in a twist?? Dayum, he is gonna get in on his schedule not one the MSM wants or one we might prefer. He has his game plan and when he announces,only then, will I take a serious look at all he is worth. I have seen him in action and like him but I also like quite a few candidates but nothing that I lose sleep over. This process is long and this fall will be the thinning out party time for both the Dems and Rups. I just want to see someone with some backbone and some honesty and one who will value all of us and not the special interest groups over us. Looking hard at each as they come about and easy to see who the MSM wants running in both parties, it is blantant and shamefull at the same time.

bones47 on July 30, 2007 at 9:57 PM

As we used to chant at our high school football games when the other crowd was getting a little overexcited about one particular play, “Scoreboard, Scoreboard,” The guy hasn’t even announced yet, this is all pretty funny. I talk to pretty strong conservatives all the time who really don’t know who he is. If you don’t read blogs, you probably wouldn’t even realize he was running. All the news talk about is Rudy, Hillary, and Obama. Until he announces, you guys can keep trying to shoot him down on every little dumb thing that happens if it makes you feel like you’re smart. My man-love for Fred has not subsided at all. And I’m as pro-life, right-wing, conservative, Christian extremist as they come. Rudy’s a lib, and Mitt doesn’t stand a chance. FRED!!! is still the obvious choice.

Orange Man on July 30, 2007 at 10:13 PM

$3Million? He’s not even a candidate yet. Pretty impressive for a guy who’s not running yet.

Egfrow on July 30, 2007 at 11:07 PM

Montana on July 30, 2007 at 9:11 PM

“Republicraps”? This Wyoming native thinks you’ve been hanging around Ted Turner’s ranch a little too long.

Tennman on July 30, 2007 at 11:27 PM

Keep my past predictions in your mind folks.

Jim-Rose on July 30, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Their are people holding on to their cash, it will be the biggest boom in reciepts in history.

- The Cat

MirCat on July 31, 2007 at 12:02 AM

BTW, AP, if you could have raised .0001667 percent of FDT’s take last month, you could have had your IPhone.

Tennman on July 31, 2007 at 12:04 AM

It’s not yet August, let’s not shoot this horse just yet.
/cornpone
omnipotent on July 30, 2007 at 4:42 PM

Evah hurd uf shootin yursef en de fut?

Fred! hasn’t even declared and you guys are burying him already.
Fred on July 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Evah hurd uf diggin yur oun grev?

Tennman on July 30, 2007 at 6:10 PM

Hoo r yu, Fred’s savior? Need a cross to lean on?

Mcguyver on July 31, 2007 at 12:45 AM

Hoo r yu, Fred’s savior? Need a cross to lean on?
Mcguyver on July 31, 2007 at 12:45 AM

I am moved by your superior intellect and deductive reasoning. Third grade must have been very difficult.

Tennman on July 31, 2007 at 1:25 AM

Egfrow on July 30, 2007 at 11:07 PM

He has a Campaign Manager. Therefore, he has a campaign. Thus, he is a candidate. It only qualifies as “testing the waters” on a technicality. The only question now is if he will continue his campaign, or abandon the effort. Anybody who cares knows he is running, and if his supporters expect a “boom” in donations once he officially declares, they are sorely mistaken.

Big S on July 31, 2007 at 2:13 AM

Just a question… traditionally, what office in a new administration does the campaign manager get? Maybe those who are ready to dump Fred need to dig a little and see where Spence Abraham’s office would be. I doubt if it would be V.P.

A thought on Rudi… I doubt if a real conservative could ever get elected as mayor of NYC. Ditto for governor of Taxachusetts.

Texas Nick 77 on July 31, 2007 at 2:37 AM

No wonder the GOP is in trouble. We apparently can’t stand behind our own. So, who is the flawless GOP candidate? Fred can dump Abraham anytime he sees fit…and hopefully soon since Abraham is turning out to be a huge negative. He can change his mind to prolife on the abortion issue like many of us have. As for money, the guy hasn’t declared his candidacy yet and he has more money than McCain. Once he declares, and he should do it sooner than later, my bet is that the money will start pouring in.

lynnv on July 31, 2007 at 8:35 AM

We apparently can’t stand behind our own.
lynnv on July 31, 2007 at 8:35 AM

fred? isn’t one of our own. He is a money hungry lobbyist who is too scared to get in the race and have his empty rhetoric vetted on a level field with the real candidates.

csdeven on July 31, 2007 at 10:26 AM

csdeven,

I’m always weary of people us use the term “money hungry” in an attack phrase. We all work for money. I don’t trust those who think they don’t need it.

Egfrow on July 31, 2007 at 10:41 AM

Fred!’s coming off as wishy washy by not committing. First it was July 4th, then August, now September when’s he’s going to declare. Everyone was gaga to support him but I think he’s squandered it all. Put up or shut up already!

Spitfire9 on July 31, 2007 at 10:43 AM

Yes, and delayed gratification can be anti-climatic.

captivated_dem on July 31, 2007 at 11:04 AM

Spitfire9 on July 31, 2007 at 10:43 AM

Have you ever noticed that it’s never, ever been FDT who said when the announcement was going to be? It’s always some unnamed source. The only wishy-washy sentiment I see around here, as captivated_dem said so capably, is delayed gratification among the “I want it and I want it now!” group.

FDT has always said he will announce at the proper time. As much as some people want to believe that by just announcing, some kind of magical event occurs where campaign staff is up and functioning effectively in all 50 states, money is never a problem, and the administration of all the factors that go into a presidential race just take care of themselves, it takes time to develop. That’s why the FEC allows a prospective candidate to have an exploratory phase, to get all of those things in place.

I think many people are just ignoring all the real factors that are going on in this race, so I am attempting to bring a little balance to this debate.

Tennman on July 31, 2007 at 11:39 AM

Egfrow on July 31, 2007 at 10:41 AM

I feel the same way IF we are talking about someone who wants to scrap capitalism. That isn’t the issue with freddie boy. If you’ll take a look at the causes he chose to take up as a lobbyist, you’ll see that fred? ALWAYS went for the cause that had the big bucks even though it was at odds with conservative ideals. Sure it’s legal, but that isn’t the guy I want in the White House. fred? should stick to being a lying arm-twisting lobbyist RINO. That’s what he’s good at.

csdeven on July 31, 2007 at 12:20 PM

Tennman on July 31, 2007 at 11:39 AM

hahaha I love you fred?heads! I can always count on you nuancing freds? BS.

Have you ever noticed that fred? has never, ever, dispelled those publicized rumors? His tacit acceptance is a clear indication that this is part of his non-campaign. He purposely misleads and fools those whom he wants support from. Well, I say “up yours freddie boy!”.

csdeven on July 31, 2007 at 12:24 PM

csdeven on July 31, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Gotta call BS on CS on that one. He has consistently maintained that no date has been set yet; that it will be when the time was right.

BTW. I am NOT a Fredhead. I support the man because of what I believe.

Tennman on July 31, 2007 at 2:53 PM