Video highlights: Iraq 1, Saudi Arabia 0

posted at 4:00 pm on July 29, 2007 by Allahpundit

A lopsided match, although only a great save from the Iraqi keeper preserved the victory. FYI, Younis Mahmoud, who scored the lone goal, is a Sunni Turkman from Kirkuk. Click the image to watch.

iraq-sa.jpg

Comments

Mecca is now closed to Iraqi pilgrims till further notice.

profitsbeard on July 29, 2007 at 4:02 PM

At first glance the Iraqi in the screen cap looks like “rage boy”…

Congratulations to the team, I’m sure we’ll see them here on tour soon.

Zorro on July 29, 2007 at 4:10 PM

This is just great. Very inspiring and heartwarming, and I had no idea they were this good…Asia has some pretty good teams that they got through to win. Congrats!

Patriot33 on July 29, 2007 at 4:20 PM

lopsided match

LOL, aren’t they all? Low scoring games tend to be dull (hockey too). Although, sometimes it makes for great drama! Congrats to the Iraqi team!

synycalwon on July 29, 2007 at 4:27 PM

This is great news. Something I noticed in the NYT story. When the Iraqi team got to their hotel room, it was occupied by the Iranian team, which had already been eliminated. Even in sports Iran has to get involved.

PowWow on July 29, 2007 at 4:36 PM

Still motivated, even without Uday’s “encouragement.” Go figure. Good for them, seriously. I hope it helps them with a unified national pride.

Tanya on July 29, 2007 at 4:43 PM

Uday “encouragment” miss a goal, lose a foot. I am happy for the team i hope this pride can carry over into their gov’t.

kathleen on July 29, 2007 at 4:54 PM

You should note up top that the Iraqi’s are in white (although the flag on their shirts should be a give away). You never know when a liberal may be watching!

SouthernGent on July 29, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Never thought I’d be cheering on an Iraqi sports team.
But I am. Now if the would only have a big league
baseball team : ) or even a minor league team.

Texyank on July 29, 2007 at 5:08 PM

This is why I love soccer. No matter where you go in the world, soccer brings people together. I grew up in Nigeria, and we’ve had some really bad governments, but people get thru it because of the soccer team. It may sound stupid to an American, but it does make a huge difference. you can see somebody who is hungry, and starving…but you won’t know it, if the national team has won a game. You see big restaurants opening up the doors and feeding everybody for free, because of a soccer win.

I’m happy that the people of Iraq has felt this too. This is their first ever international win, and if something is going to heal that country, and make all these different sects not want to kill each other, soccer can do it. I know, cus i see it happen in Nigeria, everyday.

Chudi on July 29, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Maybe the Saudis were hindered in their quest for excellence by some of the training conditions imposed by their genius Wahhabi clerics in their soccer fatwas.

Tantor on July 29, 2007 at 6:56 PM

I spend a little time every weekend reading Islamic discussion forums. These people are absolutely NUTS over soccer. This is probably the best thing that has happened for Iraq since the fall of Saddam.

RedWinged Blackbird on July 29, 2007 at 7:22 PM

I know, cus i see it happen in Nigeria, everyday.
Chudi on July 29, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Is there a good link somewhere that you could point me to for solid unbiased new about Nigeria?

Mcguyver on July 29, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Tantor on July 29, 2007 at 6:56 PM

An unbelievable amount of Fatwahs for soccer!

Mcguyver on July 29, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Patriot33 on July 29, 2007 at 4:20 PM

I second that and absolutely agree.

Watch the mainstream media spin why how this success does not give the Iraqi’s hope for the people’s overall enthusiasm and hope for success in the war.

Mcguyver on July 29, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Looks like a great match. That Iraqi keeper did make a great save, though he got lucky at the end coming out the way he did, and the ball landed on the net. I remember getting excited for the Iraqis during the ’04 Olympics when they did so well.

Jezla on July 29, 2007 at 8:30 PM

Is this the same team that used to get tortured if they lost? I wonder if not having a torture chamber next to the weight room makes the USA look any better?

Nah…..

Hening on July 29, 2007 at 8:41 PM

Where do they practice?

nottakingsides on July 29, 2007 at 11:35 PM

I am really so happy for them! This is just one of those great stories!

JellyToast on July 30, 2007 at 7:36 AM

Happy for the Iraqis, but the state of Asian soccer is abysmal. Iraq and Saudi Arabia are two of the weakest national sides in the World, yet they made it to the final? Against an average European or South American side they would have gotten crushed.

madne0 on July 30, 2007 at 9:13 AM