Video: The Army’s virtual targetry training system

posted at 4:46 pm on July 28, 2007 by Bryan

Get the standard oohs and aahs out of the way. This is amazing training.

And yeah, I want one in my basement.

Comments

Very cool! I want one too.

Zorro on July 28, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Hmmm…. wonder how much it would cost… could be a very cool investment… Big Boy Laser tag and training…

Romeo13 on July 28, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Nice.

Christoph on July 28, 2007 at 5:02 PM

Another advantage is that you could have commanders playing the red force, rather than just relying on AI. This really shows the benefits behind the DoD’s investment in videogames, from repurposing Doom to the development of AA for recruitment and training.

AA is a really good game for training and ensuring that recruits understand real principles better. You die REALLY fast, there are serious rules, and it can be really hard to see the opposing forces even though you’re fairly close. Good job to all involved!

libertarianuberalles on July 28, 2007 at 5:09 PM

I have been to their factory and office in Houston.
They convert toy but realistically weighted guns with lasers. They set up training for Police and military all over the world.
It is cool. But for my money I think ya need to operate real weapons and take them to near failure in realistic conditions from all possible positions and deal with windage, elevation, smoke, recoil etc.

The repeated physical operation of real firearms is the only training that counts.

TheSitRep on July 28, 2007 at 5:09 PM

One big reason we’re the best is training, training, training. The more real the better the training. I love it!

Oldnuke on July 28, 2007 at 5:12 PM

TheSitRep on July 28, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Suddenly, nothing seems more important than going to Houston right now.

Shame I live in a shoebox studio. If I had a real basement I might actually spend the money, if it was reasonable.

ticticboom on July 28, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Sorry, forgot to endquote

ticticboom on July 28, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Seems like it wouldn’t be hard to recalibrate to use a miles type of setup… so you could get recooil, smoke, and noise….

Romeo13 on July 28, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Doh…. sorry…. last was pointed up at Sitrep

Romeo13 on July 28, 2007 at 5:24 PM

A few generations ahead of what we had for law enforcement and penal system people here in MO. We had to wait til the review to see what we hit. It was frustrating knowing I’d out a load of 00 into a guy’s chest and then see him turn around and run off. We used actual weapons but not ammo.

TBinSTL on July 28, 2007 at 5:30 PM

TheSitRep – They convert toy but realistically weighted guns with lasers.

I’m pretty sure they’re using live ammo… I think they said that they have heat sensors all around the room to detect hits and relay the info back to the game.

May need to watch the video again…

(sorry if i posted twice)

nootch on July 28, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Those targets looked pretty swarthy to me. CAIR is going to sue unless the Army puts in an equal number of 12 year old blond girls as targets.

pedestrian on July 28, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Whoa wicked!

sonnyspats1 on July 28, 2007 at 6:10 PM

I partly agree with you, SitRep, but the only place you are going to be able to do live-fire training that realistic is in the Big Sandbox up against real jihadis.
Also remember that commanders are constantly having to weigh realistic training goals against costs and safety. Generally you want to do as much simulated training as prudent before you set the grunts loose with live ammo-”prudent” being the operative word.
Now if you will excuse me, I have to go clean up my drool and check the map to see how far it is to Houston.

Lancer on July 28, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Very cool, especially for people training for real life/death scenarios!

As for myself, I prefer the reclining chair version combined with a feeding tube and colostomy bag.

FloatingRock on July 28, 2007 at 6:19 PM

pedestrian on July 28, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Yup. My first thoughts, too. Profiling? When it can mean your life, you bet!

IrishEyes on July 28, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Uh, SitRep, as far as I can tell, this IS real weapons and live ammo. I was a bit confused at first because I’ve seen similar setups with FATS weapons, and at first I thought maybe they were just firing blanks with MILES attachments. But watch the video again. They talk about using live ammo, with thermal cameras observing the strike of the round and feeding that info into the computer. It’s a really neat idea.

c6gunner on July 28, 2007 at 6:30 PM

And yeah, I want one in my basement.

No problem. Just put it on your expense account. While you’re at it, add an iPhone for AP. Michelle said it was OK.

RedWinged Blackbird on July 28, 2007 at 6:31 PM

RedWinged Blackbird on July 28, 2007 at 6:31 PM

LMAO!

sonnyspats1 on July 28, 2007 at 6:35 PM

If you want a real war sim, look into ARMA: Combat Operations.

Its what the military uses for training (a beefed-up version of the game called VBS2.)

Americas Army is largely a recruiting tool, not a simulator.

triple on July 28, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Heh…did you guys miss the beginning of the video where it described the soldiers as firing live ammunition in an interactive environment?

They are shooting live rounds. This training set-up seems to have replaced MILES gear with real rounds. If you notice in the video, there are instructors placed in some of the rooms being stormed and they have their hands up with no weapon in sight so they don’t get shot.

“…thermal cameras stationed throughout the room detect and map the friction created by the strikes of the live-fire impacts. When translated into the game software, the virtual environment reacts appropriately on-screen to display wounding, killing, splintering, chipping and other realistic effects.”

American_Jihadist on July 28, 2007 at 7:09 PM

c6gunner beat me to it. Read before submit, AJ.

American_Jihadist on July 28, 2007 at 7:11 PM

When will the ACLU sue for profiling of unlawful enemy avatars?

And how many innocent simulacrums were accidentally “killed”?

Let the virtual lawsuits begin!

/sarc-off

Brilliant work!

Do they throw in a random Bin laden every now and then- just to cheer up the trainees?

profitsbeard on July 28, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Ok, oooooh, aaahhhhh!!

Our guys are so HOT!!
Can I come and play? How Awesome that would be!

Seriously guys, John Wayne would be so proud!!
We sure are!

GI vs. Jihadist
No contest!

SouthernPride on July 28, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Oh, man, I think I just had a wargasm.

Now I have to get a house with a BIIIIIG basement, about two dozen projectors…

Merovign on July 28, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Oh, man, I think I just had a wargasm.

Merovign on July 28, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Ha!! WARGASM! Good one!

SouthernPride on July 28, 2007 at 7:54 PM

Reminiscent of the famed SAS “killing house”, where they do live fire exercises. The walls have rubber sheets to stop live rounds from ricocheting around, but the targets are static. Perhaps someone could develop rubber-coated robots to use as targets (and perhaps the next step would be to use robots to assault the rooms).

Apeking on July 28, 2007 at 11:24 PM

Here’s a game that’s nowhere near as realistic as this military training simulator but you get to take out some frustrations by killing terrorists and beating the hell out of Osama!

Enjoy!

Liberty or Death on July 29, 2007 at 2:48 AM

omg no wai its liek halo11!11!!!

jambus59 on July 29, 2007 at 12:50 PM

The CQB (Close Quarters Battle) environment used for most of the scenes shown are from the MOUT McKenna map of America’s Army, or at least derived from that layout.

The Army was looking down the road toward this method of training when they created a full-blown software development team to build the America’s Army game 5 years ago. With literally thousands of leased servers operating around the clock, around the world, the Army also gets continuously updated database information of every single scenario round completed, on each of nearly 40 different maps, with up to 26 participants per server.

With the many thousands of individual map rounds data-stored each day, they can quickly analyze exactly what type of approach is the most effective for any given live situation.

Any they give the public a great game to play for free. The information they gain from its use is truly priceless.

Freelancer on July 30, 2007 at 2:59 AM