Sharia watch: Man arrested for Koran abuse

posted at 3:22 pm on July 28, 2007 by Bryan

Man throws Koran into toilet. Police throw man in jail on “hate crimes” charges.

I’m sure we’re a “hate site” for pointing out that putting books into toilets is not a hate crime. Whatever.

A 23-year-old man was arrested Friday on hate-crime charges after he threw a Quran in a toilet at Pace University on two separate occasions, police said.

Stanislav Shmulevich of Brooklyn was arrested on charges of criminal mischief and aggravated harassment, both hate crimes, police said. It was unclear if he was a student at the school. A message left at the Shmulevich home was not immediately returned.

The Islamic holy book was found in a toilet at Pace’s lower Manhattan campus by a teacher on Oct. 13. A student discovered another book in a toilet on Nov. 21, police said.

Muslim activists had called on Pace University to crack down on hate crimes after the incidents. As a result, the university said it would offer sensitivity training to its students.

The school was accused by Muslim students of not taking the incident seriously enough at first. Pace classified the first desecration of the holy book as an act of vandalism, but university officials later reversed themselves and referred the incident to the New York Police Department’s hate crimes unit.

Dissect that a little bit and you can see the role that the credible threat of violence played in all this. The man did his thing to a copy of the Koran, and the university did the PC thing of offering “sensitivity training.” But that wasn’t good enough, so the Muslim activists kept up the pressure and now, he’s being charged with actual crimes. Why did the pressure have such an effect? Could the Baptist Student Union pull the same stunt if someone dunks The Message?

Of course not. Pace has been mau maued into adopting a very extreme position that no other group could force it to adopt. The man will have to hire a lawyer and go through the legal proceedings. At the end, he’ll probably be found not guilty (well, in a reasonable world, that would be the outcome). But his trial will serve as a warning to anyone else who dares oppose the march of sharia on the campus of Pace: Don’t.

The flying imams’ lawsuit is intended to serve an identical purpose, from a different angle.

Predictably, CAIR is pleased.

In all of this, you can see the outlines of a very broad strategy to advance sharia. Terrorists create the credible threat of violence by perpetrating violence on innocents in the name of Islam. Activists, who may themselves disavow violence, nevertheless use the threat and the twin cry that they’re being “oppressed” (either because of the violence from government’s point of view or by individuals who dare say or do anything un-PC) to push weaklings like Pace administrators into doing their bidding, making sharia the de facto standard. CAIR, the strategy’s PR arm, celebrates the wins and wails about continued “oppression.”

Comments

Does this mean its now a hate crime to put crosses in jars of piss or make paintings of Mary out of elephant sh*t also?

C-Low on July 28, 2007 at 3:28 PM

ummm…. just what statute is he charged under?

Seems that he was excercising his Free Speech rights… like… oh… burning Old Glory?

He was NOT advocating violence… which as far as I know is the only Hate speech violation which will get you arrested…

This is truly disturbing…

Romeo13 on July 28, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Bryan, Is this the same Pace University where burning the American flag is legal?

Rewarding Sharia law will just get more of it.

TunaTalon on July 28, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Did anyone see him throw the book into the toilet? Perhaps it could have fallen from the cistern. Were the books stained, in any way?

Apeking on July 28, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Strange… wheres the ACLU in all this….

Romeo13 on July 28, 2007 at 3:31 PM

ACLU?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

BallisticBob on July 28, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Let a thousand Koran’s be dunked. I’ll mail boxes of Korans to anyone near Pace who wants to continue with the dunking. If I’m paying for them, I have a right to get ‘em wet. Someone should start a site where we can all upload pics of Korans in various states of, well, disrepair.

Thomas the Wraith on July 28, 2007 at 3:36 PM

Crosses in urine are ‘art’. No hate involved or intended, obviously. Whoever thinks otherwise clearly doesn’t know art, and needs some training. I recommend PU. (please, go with that pun despite its weakness)

Was it a hate crime to burn one’s own $60,000 Koran, especially if he’s not Muslim?

And are these Korans ‘true’ copies–you know, written in Arabic?

Liberals are such cowards they can’t tell right from wrong, or stop themselves from going against their own ideology.

Liam on July 28, 2007 at 3:38 PM

I know I’m getting myself in , well, trubble, but I can’t resist..

Maybe he was just out of toilet paper?

ok, ok, it was wrong and I apologize. As a matter of fact I’m heading straight to rehab.

Seriously though, when will someone explain to the Muslims that in America people have the RIGHT to offend them. Liberals offend me all the time, and as much as I’d like to, I can’t have them arrested.

trubble on July 28, 2007 at 3:43 PM

The Qur’an itself is a hate crime against Jews and Christians.

Connie on July 28, 2007 at 3:47 PM

Stanislav Shmulevich should just claim the Qur’an in the Toilet was an art exhibition then file a counter suit that his rights under the 1st Amendment had been violated.

Zorro on July 28, 2007 at 3:47 PM

If only he had called it art, the media and the school would have protected him…

My only other complaint is he didn’t stick around long enough to crap in the toliet…

Tim Burton on July 28, 2007 at 3:53 PM

I wonder if he dunked the university’s copies of the koran?

Stanislav Shmulevich, 23, was confronted by detectives with a surveillance photo of himself leaving a Pace meditation room where the Muslim holy books were stored, police sources said. … Shmulevich was awaiting arraignment in Manhattan Criminal Court on hate crime charges for criminal mischief and aggravated harassment, officials said.

link

Thomas the Wraith on July 28, 2007 at 3:53 PM

It’s a book. It was not created each to its own by some Divine entity. Get over it. The crap that’s written on those pages is more menacing and vile than the fact that it was dumped into a toilet. That damn book and religon is nothing but HATE speech for those not a part of it (the cult of Islam) so where in the hell do they get off crying “hate speech”? Here’s HATE speech. . . I HATE the fact you want to kill all those who do not believe in the P^2 (Pedophile Prophet). I HATE the fact that you want to strap bombs to little children cause you don’t have the balls to blow your own dumb ass up. I HATE the fact that you think only your way is the correct way when it does nothing but enslave women. I HATE it most that you hide behind the MSM and Polictical Correctness instead of facing us toe-to-toe. Your damn cult of indignation is a farce at best and sick joke on humanity at worst.

stanfil2 on July 28, 2007 at 3:54 PM

And he’s a Ukrainian Jew, which I’m sure just sends CAIR into blind spitting hysteria.

Thomas the Wraith on July 28, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Whenever I see crap like this that pisses me off about the dhimmitude of America and the creeping shari’a pushed by the Islamists here in America, I go watch this to cheer myself up: Y.A.A.F.M.: Muslims

Michael in MI on July 28, 2007 at 3:58 PM

We dont fight the hate spewsed by those Islamics who abuse the Koran by defiling thier holy book. That only gives them credibility.

I prefer the method that Robert spencer and Michelle are currently doing. Post the hate that comes from those on the Jihadist side and ask the muslims to either denounce it or defend it.

CAIR plays a sly game in that they are all against hate speech when its a non muslim doing it. I want CAIR to stand up to the hate speech that comes from muslims.

That is the true hypocracy going on here.

William Amos on July 28, 2007 at 4:00 PM

So help me decipher this convoluted, leftist-utopian PC aggressive sharia agenda bvllshtt: Books now have civil rights??

locomotivebreath1901 on July 28, 2007 at 4:00 PM

The Islamic holy book was found in a toilet

Exactly where it belongs. (Piss Be Upon It)

infidel4life on July 28, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Symbiosis. Jihad expedites Islamization while Islamization facilitates Jihad. As it progresses, it also accelerates. It will be too late much sooner than you might think.

RedWinged Blackbird on July 28, 2007 at 4:10 PM

I don’t have the link handy, but also recall that flags with Islamic writing on it also have “rights”. Recall that someone was going to be charged with a hate crime for stomping on the flag of the terrorist group Hezb’Allah, because it had the word Allah on it, so Muslims b!tched that it was a hate crime against their religion.

Michael in MI on July 28, 2007 at 4:12 PM

The proper charge would be “improper disposal of dangerous material”. Or something like that.

forest on July 28, 2007 at 4:44 PM

THe Religion of Pace strikes again.

aengus on July 28, 2007 at 4:53 PM

So is the ‘offender’ in jail? Does he need bail money? He probably needs legal representation. Is this considered a felony? Who is the guy. Is he a kook or not? Inquiring minds want to know.

sonnyspats1 on July 28, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Give ‘em an inch…Coming soon to a town near you Sharia Creep

PowWow on July 28, 2007 at 4:53 PM

This can’t be happening. The ‘artists’ can do anything to Jesus, the bible, etc. Wackos burn and piss on everything from the US FLAG to nativity scenes, make penis-chocolate-disgusting sculptures with impunity, but the guy who throws away the original hate speech book gets arrested?

WTF? Is this the nightmare I grew up afraid of? This isn’t really happening in America, is it?
Have we already lost at home? Sharia is here NOW folks.
This cant be left like this , it is time to fight back.
I think I’ll go buy a koran and , you know, see what happens.

shooter on July 28, 2007 at 5:01 PM

C’mon now folks. The guy’s demonstrated behavior: repeatedly dumping/flushing a Muslim Holy Book down a toilet at a University, begs for attention. The kid seems to be in need of medication, or jail.
Oh, yeah, the “hate” thing… Duh! Please cut me a large piece of break.
Of course he “hates” the Holy Book he “pees” on, and, by association, anyone who worships it .
Still, the whole idea of “hate crimes” gives me the willies. We have laws enough to defend us from people with hateful motives.

Randy

williars on July 28, 2007 at 5:10 PM

I urge every right thinking person at Pace to pick up a Koran and stuff it down a toilet. Don’t let these islamitards push their agenda.

madne0 on July 28, 2007 at 5:11 PM

I hate to encourage putting a Bible in the toilet, but I almost want to see it happen to reveal the hypocrisy.

shooter on July 28, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Exactly.

Have we already lost at home?

Yup, but it happened long before this incident.

I think I’ll go buy a koran and , you know, see what happens.

shooter on July 28, 2007 at 5:01 PM

I’ve been tempted to do this myself, just to see what kind of reaction I get… I’m just not familiar with the law on burning things. Obviously we know burning the flag is “protected speech”, but there must be some safety regulations, right? I mean, you obviously can’t do it in a store or something… Can you just do it on any public parking lot? Not knowing, I’d be left to YouTubing video of the act in a driveway, and seeing how long before YouTube removed it.

RightWinged on July 28, 2007 at 5:12 PM

madne0 on July 28, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Yeah. That’ll help. :-o
Randy

williars on July 28, 2007 at 5:18 PM

RightWinged on July 28, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Why even contemplate such a thing?
Just to make a self-evident point? Hypocrisy is in the normal endowment of human beings.

Randy

williars on July 28, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Isn’t it odd that this crap is occurring on a site of what is supposed to be the bastion of liberalism?

drjohn on July 28, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Just send him to rehab. Heh.

pullingmyhairout on July 28, 2007 at 5:39 PM

Someone ought to throw a Bible or three in the toilets and see if they can even come close to being arrested.

drjohn on July 28, 2007 at 5:40 PM

Is the guy a kook? If so he needs medical help. If not we should lend him some support. I CARE do you?

sonnyspats1 on July 28, 2007 at 5:52 PM

He should have been more sneaky about it!!!!! It probably just takes a little practice.

jeanie on July 28, 2007 at 5:54 PM

Thank you for pointing this out Bryan. The idea of ‘hate crime’ is only to enhance the punishment of a crime already committed. Putting a book in a toilet is not a crime.

There is going to be a major backlash in America. I’m telling you there is. I’ve been telling you that it’s coming. Most of America doesn’t know about Islam, and when they find out about it, they ain’t going to like it.

I said ‘civil war’ before. Muslims are playing their hand much too early for that. But there will likely be beat downs and legitimate hate crimes if this keeps up. ‘Freedom’ for one does not mean you can strip someone else of ‘freedom’. AND NO AMERICAN IS FREE FROM BEING OFFENDED.

I guarantee that within 5 years some Christian organization is going to have a massive book burning somewhere in the US of Korans. It will be intended to exercize free speech rights. It’ll be reported as ‘those hateful Christians’ in the media. You know the ones who also say those muslims have every right to step on the flag, hang our commander in chief in effigy, shout ‘death to America’, burn the flag.

It’s going to get really ugly really quickly. I’m not advocating anything, but the patterns are very apparent.

The Crusades were a result of a backlash from oppressive activity by Muslims in Europe. Not that I care what the Pope says, but he should not have apologized for the Crusades. History repeats itself.

It’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

ThackerAgency on July 28, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Too bad you missed the Karnival of the Koran Krapping.

It’s an oldie, but a goodie.

Vinnie on July 28, 2007 at 6:41 PM

Apeking on July 28, 2007 at 3:30 PM

The book was returned to it’s origin.

Wade on July 28, 2007 at 6:52 PM

If that is a hate crime, then what is THIS?OH Wait. This guy is a sliky-man. No hate crime there, does not apply to what Ann Coulter said. F-word

Wade on July 28, 2007 at 6:57 PM

Koran + toilet = Liberty.

The First Amendment tells me so.

profitsbeard on July 28, 2007 at 7:23 PM

One thing I wish someone would ask religious scholars is this. . .

If Islam is supposed to be against IDOLATRY, why do they IDOLIZE so many things?

Let me list a few:

The Koran
Al Aqsa Mosque
The daily dance, I mean ‘prayer’
The Islamic prophet mohommed
Mecca

ThackerAgency on July 28, 2007 at 7:43 PM

ThackerAgency – sadly, I think you’re right.

The bureaucracy and judiciary aren’t going to self-correct in time. I sure hope we can keep it in the realm of “angry shouting.”

Merovign on July 28, 2007 at 7:52 PM

RightWinged on July 28, 2007 at 5:12 PM

What you’re forgetting is what Ayaan Hrsi Ali said, to paraphrase, Christians are not looking to replace the Constitution with the Bible.

Christians will not try to arrest you if you dunk a Bible in the toliet. They will not try to have you kicked out of a secular university, they wont try to get the cops to go after you. Christians protested putting the crucifix in urine, they didn’t kill anyone. Catholics decried “painting” the Virgin Mary in elephant dung, and some protested the movie Dogma. Christians didn’t called for arrests. Christians didn’t call for executions. Christians didn’t burn down buildings, or riot. Christians didn’t call for death for the unbelievers.

This is the fundamental difference between Christian and Islam that so many people, including very smart ones like Christopher Hitchens, seem to forget. Christianty is based on freedom through Christ, love for your God, and love for your neighbor. Islam is based on slavery, fear, and hate. That they’re monotheistic is their only similarity. Otherwise they’re diametrically opposed to each other.

apollyonbob on July 28, 2007 at 8:03 PM

I sure hope we can keep it in the realm of “angry shouting.”

“Angry shouting” is the Islamist’s forte. We can’t win that game. We need to make it abundantly and painfully clear that we will not be Islamized. The more painful the better.

RedWinged Blackbird on July 28, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Phone number to Pace?

PRCalDude on July 28, 2007 at 8:40 PM

Phone number to Pace?

Pace University Hotline

RedWinged Blackbird on July 28, 2007 at 8:52 PM

I would hire an attorney on a contingent and sue Pace for 50 million. I would also sue the police dept and the state of ny for false arrest and for the attack on my constitutional rights as a US citizen.

Now lets see Pace whine like a baby.

investwize999 on July 28, 2007 at 9:06 PM

koraninatoilet.com and koraninthetoilet.com are available for any of you internet wiz kids (I said wiz, huh huh) who want to set up one of those website where people submit photos.

I wouldn’t do it, that just mean spirited.

tlynch001 on July 28, 2007 at 9:31 PM

I strive always for a certain intellectual detachment from the arguments I make. I strive to be a reasonable intellectual opponent. And I succeed for the most part. Devout Catholics and I have a problem in that I’m honest about the first 1000 years of the history of Catholicism, and they are sensitive about honesty in that area. Otherwise I get along with people in rather fierce debate.

Muslims make me not want to get along, make me not try to be reasonable. I just want to take their Korans and throw them in toilets and whatever else I can do to show them how much I don’t them here in America. And why do I as a gay man, have to be tolerant of people who want to stone me to death? And why does a Christian who the muslims want to be treat as second class citizen or often as a slave have to be tolerant of muslims?

There is nothing in the New Testement that says one is obliged as a Christian to expose one’s throat to those who would slice one’s jugular. Yes, one may turn one’s check to someone angry at you, but that doesn’t imply to one’s murderer. Christianity is far more sensible than the pacifists would tell us. It is also true that Hinduism and Buddhism are far more sensible than contemporary pacifists would tell us. To be good, to fight evil, sometimes means we must defend ourselves against thugs, bullies, and murderers.

thuja on July 28, 2007 at 9:32 PM

I wouldn’t do it, that just mean spirited.

tlynch001 on July 28, 2007 at 9:31 PM

koraninthecan.com might be catchier

RightWinged on July 28, 2007 at 9:48 PM

Shame on the non-muslims who capitulated, and on the New York Police Department.
I am more angry with the rampant liberalism in this country that makes this nonsense possible than with the muslims.
But liberal policies put us at risk; this is just another example. Read Mark Steyn to get an idea of how the muslims are soon going to change Europe forever, and it’s all because of the Socialist Welfare State and a secular, PC multi-cuturalism. Europe is slowly handing over everything to these people with no resistance.

Dork B. on July 28, 2007 at 9:53 PM

The KORANinTHEcan.com domain is still available, too.

Some progressive artist needs to make a toilet out of Korans.

HERE’S AND INVITATION:

Take 1 pint Epoxy, 1 gross box of Korans, 1 gallon waterproof Spar varnish, & add 1 cute little tag reading:

“Caca Mecca”- mixed medium. 2007.

What art the students waiting for?

An invitation?

profitsbeard on July 28, 2007 at 10:48 PM

If anyone can burn my American flag, I sure as hell can flush the Koran.

…double WHOOSH!

Static on July 28, 2007 at 11:13 PM

Maybe it was just “ART”.

bloggless on July 28, 2007 at 11:23 PM

Too bad you missed the Karnival of the Koran Krapping.

It’s an oldie, but a goodie.

Vinnie on July 28, 2007 at 6:41 PM

Guess I missed it, too. LOL I almost split a gut over the little boys and their “group readings”. Everytime I see a madrass on TV now, I’ll know why they’re so intent. heh.

IrishEyes on July 28, 2007 at 11:23 PM

if it’s a hate crime to toss a koran where it belongs, then burning the flag MUST be… oh wait.. this is America, home of liberal hypocrites

rahjr2k on July 29, 2007 at 12:16 AM

RightWinged on July 28, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Do it in the privacy of your back yard, grill some burgers. (You don’t have to eat them)

Why even contemplate such a thing?
Randy

williars on July 28, 2007 at 5:25 PM

You have heard of the Constitution, yeah?

Just checking.

Thomas the Wraith on July 28, 2007 at 3:36 PM

I am willing to donate x number of dollars to anyone who is

the first one to get a link on HotAir that chronicles via

video camera and sound the debasing of the Koran in any

format of your choosing.

You can have a mask on your face just like the Jihadists.

But it must have “sound”, images, etc.

Real footage.

P.S. You could also burn Bibles in the same session.

Mcguyver on July 29, 2007 at 12:58 AM

…desecration!!..? … holy book…?

Pretty strong words, I keep trying to picture these words being used if the same incident had involved a Bible. Don’t see it happening.

4shoes on July 29, 2007 at 1:23 AM

So I guess my new business venture of Koran toilet paper, will be a hate crime now.

Mojack420 on July 29, 2007 at 1:30 AM

So, if someone throws a copy of the Koran across a room – is that desecration ? If they toss it in a garbage bin – is that desecration ? If you spill beer over an open Koran – is that desecration ? If a Pace student uses a piece of bacon in a copy of the Koran that he owns – is that desecration ?

I left the UK to get away from the pathetic, liberal PC pandering to the Islamofascists and now it’s in the USA too…..beam me up, Scotty !!!

London Boy on July 29, 2007 at 1:50 AM

If there’s a “Piss Christ”, I should be able to subject the Koran to numerous … artistic expressions … until it becomes indistinguishable from watery mud.

These jackbooted PC thugs running Pace, Columbia, Rhodes and many other universities have nothing against hate if it accomplishes their ends. How many times would they look the other way if a student desecrated a Bible? Or if a campus publication called for black-on-white racism?

Take a good guess… I thought so.

You can burn an American flag on campus no sweat, but if you burn a terrorist flag you can get your butt in serious trouble.

It sickens me to my stomach. When is this going to stop?

Ryan Gandy on July 29, 2007 at 1:58 AM

…desecration!!..? … holy book…?

Pretty strong words

Agreed, it seems to me that if the STATE determines that this is a ‘holy book’, then the separation of church and state ‘requirement’ has been violated.

The state should not be in the business of punishing based on religious overtones. That by definition would require the state to declare what is and is not ‘holy’.

If that is the case, wouldn’t Hindus be offended by McDonald’s? Aren’t those cattle ranchers in Texas going to be upset when they are hauled off to jail for a ‘hate crime’ against the Hindus? Georgie W. boy? what say ye Mr Texas?

God I need to be a lawyer. I’d make a fortune. . . I can’t sleep.

ThackerAgency on July 29, 2007 at 2:04 AM

I believe it is essential that we stage a day of civil disobediance to protest this slide into Sharia.

Desecrating a Koran is now a Crime…it’s time fold, spindle and mutilate Koran’s in protest!

PierreLegrand on July 29, 2007 at 2:29 AM

Guys did you not read the rest of the story? There was graffiti in the bathroom.

GRAFFITI.

Have you ever seen graffiti in a bathroom before? That’s a breakdown of social order right there requiring arrests of those contributing to the lessening of society.

Those of you with “piercings” not on your ears, expect to be next. And don’t get me started on the low-rider pants and tattoos.

Or something… I’m making this all up as I go.

And I sound about 80 here I think… was that their goal? To sound like someone’s great-grandma whining about society and how it was when she was a gel?

If so… good job Muslims. You now sound like like an elderly woman. I’m impressed.

gekkobear on July 29, 2007 at 2:29 AM

gekkobear on July 29, 2007 at 2:29 AM

ahhh… I see you finally get it…

Lets see… no sex outside of marriage…
Girls gotta cover up…
Sexual segregation…
No booze…
Gotta follow the rules or get whipped….
Gotta follow your elders….

Yep… sounds like my Grandma all right…

Romeo13 on July 29, 2007 at 2:42 AM

London Boy on July 29, 2007 at 1:50 AM

If the Koranimals have their way all those things will be crimes. It will be a crime to simply not obey the Koran, that is the essence of Sharia.

infidel4life on July 29, 2007 at 3:43 AM

…Tim Burton on July 28, 2007 at 3:53 PM

…the NEA would have funded him.

soundingboard on July 29, 2007 at 4:29 AM

In a perfect world … Americans would immediately purchase every copy available of the Religion of Murder and promply dump them in toilets throughout the country. Instead, we continue to sleeeeeeeeeeeep.

Gregor on July 29, 2007 at 5:44 AM

It’s hard to say if CAIR or the muslims on campus issued a “credible threat of violence” to get Pace to file criminal charges against the guy. At least, not without discovery and depositions.

I think it be more likely that Pace was actually threatened with a massive law suit if they didn’t go after Shmulevich, rather than a threat of violence and riots. But I won’t rule out a threat of “demonstrations” (spelled “rioting”) by the campus muslims.

But reading thackeragency’s prediction of a coming backlash against Islam in America got me thinking.

Two can play CAIR’s game.

CAIR and the muslim students are NOT IMMUNE from legal action directed against them for their behavior. The imam’s suits should be met by counter suits charging INTENTIONAL infliction of emotional distress against the imams and CAIR. That’s a law suit that the imams WILL LOSE because their behavior was deliberate and it did induce emotional distress.

In this case, an immediate federal civil rights suit should be filed on by Shmulevich’s lawyers against Pace and the muslim students and CAIR claiming violation of the First Amendment. In addition, a second federal law suit should be filed against the local cops claiming violation of Shmulevich’s rights under color of law.

I am of the opinion that Pace, CAIR, the muslim’s and the cops will move quickly to settle these suits because these are law suits that they cannot possibley actually “win.” The adverse publicity gained by filing will expose the attempt to institute Sharia via the back door, and Thackeragency’s backlash could develop. The publicity will be so bad for Pace, that those who endow it with money or send their kids there might reconsider and that hurts them where it hurts most, the pocketbook. So, even if they can suppress Shmulevich’s law suits by court actin, their “win” would be pyrrhic indeed.

But I don’t think Shmulevich’s suits would be tossed out, and if they lose, CAIR (with it’s small membership) will be bankrupted unless they get a massive cash influx from the middle east. That would guarantee homeland security coming down on them with both fee, should that occur. Pace will take a major hit in the endowment fund, and the city will have to pay out big time.

Pace, the city, CAIR, all have “deep pockets.” Add into the equation that Pace, the city, and CAIR DID, in fact, violate Shmulevich’s rights, and that it would be fairly easy to prove it once depositions and discovery start, and Shmulevich will be in the cat-bird’s seat. As the criminal case would almost certainly be dismissed as being without merit anyway, Pace, CAIR, the muslims, and the city would be facing serious odd against prevailing, anyway.

If Bryan is correct and Pace did knuckle under to a “credible threat of violence” for not pursuing criminal charges, then Pace will have knuckled under to extortion — which would be a defacto admission that they did violate the civil rights of Shmulevich. Plus, Pace’s action just might cross the threshhold of being a CRIMINAL act (conspiracy to violate the civil rights of Shmulevich), not just a civil one. If that is the case, the people in Pace’s administration who made the decision could face jail time, along with the muslims on campus and CAIR, and police officials.

The federal government has already declared CAIR an unindicted co-conspirator and associate of HAMAS, a terrorist front. That’d be red meat to any jury hearing any case where CAIR was a defendant, if it can be shown that CAIR did actually intervene (as we all think they did).

Now, that (suing the pants of them) would be my preferred way of dealing with Pace, the muslims on campus, and CAIR.

But I had another, darker thought. You know, what goes around supposedly comes back around. And Pace, the muslims and CAIR are not immune to violence directed against them in retaliation (beyond a “backlash” that thackeragency described) to violence that they perpetrate. We’re a nation of 300 million people, 85 million of whom are also gun owners. All it takes is just one wacko/sicko to decide “enough is enough” and the end result could be a blood bath, forcing the federal government to react to muslims the way they did to the west coast Japanese after Pearl Harbor. God forbid it ever happening, though.

Let me be quite clear that I certainly do not advocate such behavior and I’d disavow it if it should happen. But any realist has to acknowledge that the 1 or 2 million muslims living in the United States would face long odds should the rest of the nation rise up against them and seriouly decide to put an end to their shenanigans. One of the things that everybody feared after the 9/11/01 attack was violence directed against the muslim community. It didn’t happen (fortunately!), but only because Americans were convinced that the attacks were orchestrated, directed, and launched by foreigners. If, on the other hand, a domestic group of muslims begin “jihad,” and succeed….well, Katy bar the door. The federal government would have to intern them for their own safety, the way they did the Japanese in early WWII. Or watch them be assaulted or worse.

Pray to God that it doesn’t happen….

georgej on July 29, 2007 at 6:39 AM

Pray to God that it doesn’t happen….

georgej on July 29, 2007 at 6:39 AM

It has nothing to do with God. It has to do with the Muslims in America behaving like Americans. Their choice, not ours or God’s. So far, their so-called leaders are raising the ante.

JiangxiDad on July 29, 2007 at 7:11 AM

The credible threat of violence is not necessarily linked to a specific act of submission. The threat is implied through previous behavior. This implied threat creates an atmosphere of intimidation in which the infidel is more inclined to submit. The role of the jihadist is to maintain this atmosphere of intimidation through media campaigns punctuated with occasional attacks.

RedWinged Blackbird on July 29, 2007 at 7:53 AM

This is so far left field. It manages to not only go against the freedom of speech, but the freedom of religion also. When did hate become a bad word? Hate is a human emotion. You can not do away with hate by making laws.

unseen on July 29, 2007 at 10:16 AM

1 John 4:2-3 says

2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

You can see this at work everywhere. Flushing the Koran is hate speech, but putting the cross in urine is art is just one of many many examples.

Even as we stand for the truth, recognize it’s a spiritual battle.

Ordinary1 on July 29, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Maybe the ADF could help with this.

Ordinary1 on July 29, 2007 at 11:29 AM

Imagine the stuff one could do with a copy of the Koran and a pig farm. It’d be fun and games for the whole family.

You could play ‘skip the Koran over the pigwallow mudhole’, (the person that gets it to skip more than once before going under wins). Then there’d be the slam-dunk the Koran into a bucket of pigpoo hung up above the barn door. Who’s pig can eat a Koran the fastest?

… the only limit is the imagination.

Aylios on July 29, 2007 at 1:45 PM

You can get a free Koran, suitable for any use at:

Cair will sell you a Koran, but wants $8.00 to help defray the costs.

Jonas Parker on July 29, 2007 at 2:02 PM

C-Low makes the perfect point.

I found a Qu-ran, Koran, whatever it’s called in an abandoned VW bug. It was old, sun-bleached and abused. Rather than get into trouble by touching it with my infidel hands, I left it where I found it. Who do I call to report this hate crime?

Christine on July 29, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Two can play CAIR’s game.

I said this very thing a few days ago, we should file suit against these people and their scare tactic organizations. If only I were a tort lawyer.
Line up thousands of folks that have been harassed and scared and intimidated by CAIR / Islam by muslims, and whamo… HUGE law suit.
This should get started. Who wants to be the clearinghouse?

shooter on July 29, 2007 at 6:11 PM

Islam is such a stupid cult. At least when someone leaves the KKK he’s not murdered.

Mojave Mark on July 29, 2007 at 7:05 PM

Are we starting to see the dangers of “hate crime” legislation? I hope so, because hate crime legislation will be used to criminalize and/or intimidate all forms of speech that are not politically correct. Hate crime laws serve no purpose other than to destroy free speech.

Maxx on July 30, 2007 at 11:25 AM