Headline: “Prince marks scouting’s centenary”

posted at 5:55 pm on July 28, 2007 by Bryan

Sorry, wrong prince.

Comments

That was so very wrong of you!
Bad Bryan! Bad!

TBinSTL on July 28, 2007 at 5:58 PM

gonna party like its 1 zero zero

William Amos on July 28, 2007 at 6:30 PM

You little tease.

mimi1220 on July 28, 2007 at 6:30 PM

I say lets get even.

Lets find a free I phone giveaway contest.

Then all of us hotair posters all apply using the name Allah Pundit.

Then when one of us wins we wait until allah does another post like this.

Then we take pictures using our new I phone registered to the name of allah pundit and post them here just for the giggles

William Amos on July 28, 2007 at 6:35 PM

Well geez its BRYAN that did this post.

I say then we win it give it to Allah on the Conditition that he constantly pester Bryan with calls

William Amos on July 28, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Alec was last seen on the horizon wearing an artist formerly known as Prince T-shirt, while dragging a cooler full of party goodies behind him.

sonnyspats1 on July 28, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Good one Bryan!

Zorro on July 28, 2007 at 6:53 PM

I needed the laugh.

PowWow on July 28, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Let’s go scouting…let’s build fires…

…let’s line up on the river bank and moon the Girl Scout camp on the other side.

Those were the days. Scouting was fun.

RedWinged Blackbird on July 28, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Didn’t he change his name again to:

*~@):~{>

profitsbeard on July 28, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Ah, I wish I was there. I’m an Eagle Scout myself.

Keljeck on July 28, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Scouting gets a bad rap from the left. Good for them on 100 years!

SouthernGent on July 28, 2007 at 8:46 PM

LOL

Bradky on July 28, 2007 at 10:41 PM

HIV and sustainable housing? That’s not like any scout troop I was ever in. Have the Brits PC’d scouting into some grotesque caricature of itself?

rivlax on July 28, 2007 at 10:52 PM

I’m Prince William!

Bitch!

km on July 28, 2007 at 11:00 PM

My son is an Eagle Scout and he is one of 35 Scouts from northern California and northern Nevada to attend. It wasn’t cheap to send him, but the memories he will get will last a lifetime. Needless to say, I am a strong supporter of the Boy Scouts of America and proud of the fact that, at least in this coutry, they have held firm in the face of relentless legal and financial pressure to become politically correct.

tballard on July 28, 2007 at 11:30 PM

During the tour he met scouts from around the world who discussed issues including sustainable housing and HIV… A spokesman said the Duke of Kent and Prince William observed first hand how scouting has evolved.

I’m with you rivlax, that’s not what scouting was all about when I was involved. If this is what (world) scouting has become, I would have to say it devolved!

Here’s hoping the BSA is steering clear of this multicultural crapola.

kjspeedial on July 29, 2007 at 12:06 AM

Scouting is good, positive. It’ll still be going strong in another hundred years.

Doug on July 29, 2007 at 12:37 AM

After watching Penn & Teller’s “Bullshit” on Boy Scouts, I’m inclined to agree with them about the BSA. The fact that they rent public buildings for prices like a buck a year, get government funding and then are able to discriminate against gays and agnostics/atheists just isn’t fair. Stop getting public funding, and THEN you can not let in whoever you want.

jayj on July 29, 2007 at 2:52 AM

Boy, are the Boy Scouts ever out of step – still teaching boring stuff like cooking, camping, and good citizenship! Look at what the British equivalents of the GIRL Scouts are up to these days:

New Guide Badges

(notice how they’ve even dropped the “Girl” from the name “Girl Guides” – Gaia forbid they teach sexist language to the kids!)

Lurking Vet on July 29, 2007 at 7:34 AM

P.S.: Proud parent of an Eagle Scout!

Lurking Vet on July 29, 2007 at 7:35 AM

I was in the scouts. Great fun.

aengus on July 29, 2007 at 8:40 AM

Having just helped present a 15 hour training course with new curriculum to a score of Webelos Den Leaders (Leaders for 4th-5th grade boys) yesterday, I can tell you that while it’s not 100% of what Baden Powell envisioned 100 years ago, it’s still fairly close. They do, however, need to lighten up some areas.

RINO_Hunter on July 29, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Have the Brits PC’d scouting into some grotesque caricature of itself?

rivlax on July 28, 2007 at 10:52 PM

Here’s hoping the BSA is steering clear of this multicultural crapola.

kjspeedial on July 29, 2007 at 12:06 AM

They have, although they very nearly did not. In the early 70s, the BSA attempted to “modernize” the program, but in response to a grassroots protest, they brought William “Green Bar Bill” Harcourt out of retirement to re-revise the handbook to put the traditional stuff back in that was taken out.

Meanwhile, around the world, the scouting movement has made some concessions to political correctness, particularly in Western Europe and South America. In most of the world, “Boy Scouting” is essentially co-ed, especially in the older age group sections. Many national associations do not bar avowed homosexuals or athiests. I just got done reading a report from the World Scout Bureau in Geneva. I was surprised to learn that, for the past decade or so, first aid stations at world jamborees have made available — condoms! Can you believe that?

But not in the good ol’ BSA. About 20 percent of the membership is Mormon, and they wouldn’t stand for it. Neither would the Catholic-sponsored units. It may be why the “Scouting Sunrise” celebration on August 1 is getting little attention at the national level, although local councils and districts are having ceremonies of their own that morning.

At 8am local time, whether on Brownsea Island or elsewhere, Scouts will blow the ceremonial kudu horn (from an African beast, a Baden-Powell contribution), and re-pledge themselves to the Scouting ideals.

manwithblackhat on July 30, 2007 at 11:55 AM