Video: Fred on the Hillary/Obama foreign policy dust up

posted at 11:03 am on July 27, 2007 by Allahpundit

Here he is last night dining on red meat at Chez Hannity. This is at least his fourth interview with Sean, a smart move insofar as it’s a direct line to the base but I wonder if it hasn’t reached the point of diminishing returns. Even some of the Fredheads have taken to grumbling about him not answering tough questions, particularly about his new campaign manager’s “nuanced” views on immigration and Islamic lobbyists. Hannity skips that to ask him for the umpteenth time when he’s running.

I like his bit at the end about the other candidates, though. He simply won’t stoop to disparaging his fellow Republicans, he says, especially when they’re already down about the fact that he’s kicking their ass without having spent any money.

Comments

Not good, not good, overall.

He has avoided the legal representation question too many times.

Then there is his misjudgment (biggie) on his campaign manager.

Nice try though, Fred.

Nice wife too.

Mcguyver on July 27, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Hannity skips that to ask him for the umpteenth time when he’s running.

Great call, AP. What a joke.

I am pretty well fed up with the pseudo-drama of the non-announcement-announcements; time to move on to candidates that are actually declaring and discussing important issues.

I would like to know more about how he chose Abraham, and about Abraham’s background and the people that he promotes and consorts with. I won’t stoop to quoting Debbie Schlussel, but those questions hang in the air.

Jaibones on July 27, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Fred, why did you hire a CAIR supporter and an open border apologist to run your campaign? A lot of unanswered questions for someone who seems to play BOTH sides of the street. Time to put up or shut up.

volsense on July 27, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Fred! is a smooth talker (een more so than ol’ slick Willie it seems) but I want to se him commit and see how he performs during th debates so his stance on more issues becomes clear.

Yakko77 on July 27, 2007 at 11:21 AM

To my mind, it’s getting harder and harder for Fred to continually tread water and by September it’s going to be sink or swim.

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on July 27, 2007 at 11:23 AM

I won’t stoop to quoting Debbie Schlussel, but those questions hang in the air.

Jaibones on July 27, 2007 at 11:17 AM

I read her piece yesterday, and have neverliked Spencer Abrahams. But I never heard of her before. Would you mind stooping? Does she have a score to settle with Thompson?

JiangxiDad on July 27, 2007 at 11:25 AM

5..4..3..2..

samuelrylander on July 27, 2007 at 11:28 AM

csdeven

samuelrylander on July 27, 2007 at 11:29 AM

No longer “Run Fred, Run!” but now it’s “Why Fred, why?”

Why hire some wishy washy guy as a campaign manager? America needs a hero with a backbone, a hero surrounded by others with backbones to stand up against the threats we face.

Princeps on July 27, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Time to take stock:

Rudy: one-trick pony? I wish not, but we don’t agree on much, other than we don’t like Islamists. Heck, doesn’t that describe Hillary?

Fred: not running, I guess, and otherwise a pandering, moderate RINO.

Obama: farcical empty suit nothing socialist.

Mitt: flip-flopper and phony.

Newt: immoral and otherwise perfect.

Everyone else: irrelevent.

Jaibones on July 27, 2007 at 11:34 AM

The truth of the matter is that running for President is big business. It helps if you have run before. Sort of a dry run if you will. (which is why the 2nd and 3rd tier candidates stay in the race long after any hope has survived of them getting the nomination)

Fred is kind of jumping in without having put his toe in the water. It’s freezing. Much worse than he imagined.

I hope he can get the handlers he needs to do this, or he is just going to make gaff after gaff.

Rightwingsparkle on July 27, 2007 at 11:35 AM

No longer “Run Fred, Run!” but now it’s “Why Fred, why?”

Hehehe.

I think Jaibones is overstating Fred’s squishiness but otherwise he’s spot on.

Allahpundit on July 27, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Fred?……The new maverick.

captivated_dem on July 27, 2007 at 11:44 AM

Eh – I still like him. No less than the other options. And, why should he declare? Seriously? We all know he’s running. It is July of 2007. Just because all these others have jumped in this early, why does everyone need to?

That’s not to say I will always like him, but he loses no points with me for not getting in formally yet – though we all know he is in.

nailinmyeye on July 27, 2007 at 11:47 AM

I think Jaibones is overstating Fred’s squishiness but otherwise he’s spot on.

We got two Eeyores here now! I love it.

nailinmyeye on July 27, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Fred is running his campaign his way, not Allahpundit’s way, not csdeven way and not anyone else’s way. And in spite of having tens of thousands of people scream at him to declare already he is sticking to his guns and doing it his way.

Love him or hate him you have to admit that it takes courage and determination to plot your own course and stick to that course when tens upon thousands of people attempt to change it for you.

Personally I find his resolve quite refreshing, I like the idea of electing a president who still has a backbone and isn’t afraid of people seeing it.

So I say to all of you trying to run Fred’s campaign from the sidelines, piss off and let Fred run it the way he sees fit. He will either sink or swim.

If he sinks then good riddance, if he swims then good for him.

doriangrey on July 27, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Jaibones on July 27, 2007 at 11:34 AM

I read in a history book that it was once different, but not in my lifetime.

JiangxiDad on July 27, 2007 at 11:50 AM

JiangxiDad — follow the link in this piece to Michelle Malkins site, and then follow her link to Debbie Schlussel. And then bookmark her site for when you want to read the investigative journalist that more than deserves to be “quoted”. Alot of people get their info from her.

nyrofan on July 27, 2007 at 11:50 AM

Mark me down here.

Fred will not win. (He is no Reagan)

faraway on July 27, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Newt: immoral and otherwise perfect.

I would also add, totally unelectable. The left hates Newt with even more passion than the right hates Hillary.

JackStraw on July 27, 2007 at 11:52 AM

“It is a naive proposition.”

A comment that is equally applicable to Mr. Thompson’s hiring of a La Raza award-winner.

tad on July 27, 2007 at 11:53 AM

doriangrey on July 27, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Fred? = I don’t know yet.
maverick = good
new maverick = No McCain = good

captivated_dem on July 27, 2007 at 11:55 AM

So here is my question, guys. If we are now concerned that Fred is an empty suit and/or a waffler and/or a RINO, and we think Rudy is a one-trick pony, Mitt is a waffler, McCain is done, etc., then are we basically conceding the race to Hillary in 2008?

If not, who among the 2nd tier candidates (or other unannounced folks) can step up and put up a meaningful challenge to Hillary? If we run a weak candidate, you can believe it will be President Hillary and you can believe we’ll lose even more congressional seats, state capitols, and such.

Outlander on July 27, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Nyrofan. Thank you.

JiangxiDad on July 27, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Kinda lackluster. I am anxious for, as the country is, though it does not even realize it,,, I am anxious for the cool breeze, the refreshing taste of hard truth. Hard truth that will cut away and peel back all the propaganda and lies so rampant. I am still willing to wait a little more. As anxious as I am,, it only matters how the race is finished, not how it is begun.

JellyToast on July 27, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Outlander on July 27, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Strange world… Hillary looks further to the right than Fred:)

faraway on July 27, 2007 at 11:59 AM

JiangxiDad on July 27, 2007 at 11:25 AM AM

Let’s just say if you follow her work, you will discover a pattern regarding both style and substance. Thompson’s choice of Abraham fits a larger narrative.

Spirit of 1776 on July 27, 2007 at 12:00 PM

He’s not running a campaign at all. It’s cult of personality, and Fred’s not even running it. It’s being run by social conservatives who think that because Fred plays a Republican on TV that he’ll somehow reduce abortions, while Rudy will just twiddle his thumbs as unborn children die.

Fred’s burgeoning candidacy is all the proof anyone ever needed that most Republican voters are credulous saps.

Enrique on July 27, 2007 at 12:02 PM

That man will emerge only after we are hit again. And silly pretenders like Obama, Edwards, and others will simply vanish from the radar screen.

But I don’t see our enemies doing that before the election as it will screw the Dem’s chances.

JiangxiDad on July 27, 2007 at 12:04 PM

C’mon Fred, I want to like you, but it’s time to formally get in the race. You’re acting like Jimmy Swaggert with a hooker right now – you like watching the action, but are afraid to take a position.

Get. In. Now.

thirteen28 on July 27, 2007 at 12:05 PM

He writes CFR then bends the rules. He raises money then gives it to his son. He lobbies for positions he abhors. He hires a campaign manager that lobbies for our enemies.

And Rudy is still kicking his ass. Rudy is surrounding himself with solid conservatives. And a good justice advisory committe. Rudy is acting like a front runner, while Fred is… dead.

tommylotto on July 27, 2007 at 12:07 PM

Outlander on July 27, 2007 at 11:57 AM

“…..then are we basically conceding the race to Hillary in 2008?”

Theoretically yes, realistically no.

captivated_dem on July 27, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Ah, Hannity. Forever the tool tossing softballs.

I won’t stoop to quoting Debbie Schlussel
Jaibones on July 27, 2007 at 11:17 AM

SouthernDem on July 27, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Plus he’s a nasty, egotistical little man. Not sure I want to listen to him bloviate about his genius much longer. JackStraw on July 27, 2007 at 11:52 AM

I’ve met him and heard him speack live. He’s a brilliant man with mistakes in his past. I hope he has a role in the next Republican administration.

Reading some of the posts here, I think some of you have forgotten Fred does have a voting record and it’s a good, conservative one. I think he had an 86 rating which would probably be to the right of GW Bush.

Mojave Mark on July 27, 2007 at 12:17 PM

nyrofan on July 27, 2007 at 11:50 AM

A lot of people get their daily dose of crazy from her you mean. This is a woman who was convinced that a gift shop pin with an eagle on it was a sign that the US government had sold out to Mexico, since the Mexican crest also has an eagle on it.

She does do some good work at times, but it comes all wrapped up in a veneer of knee-jerk hysterics. More than a couple conservative bloggers have washed their hands of her.

Hollowpoint on July 27, 2007 at 12:19 PM

No longer “Run Fred, Run!” but now it’s “Why Fred, why?”

Hehehe.

I think Jaibones is overstating Fred’s squishiness but otherwise he’s spot on.

Allahpundit on July 27, 2007 at 11:40 AM

I think Allahpundit’s overstating Rudy’s one-trick pony-ness.

Big S on July 27, 2007 at 12:22 PM

Mojave Mark on July 27, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Agreed 100%, the time for RINOS has past, a Newt/Buchannon ticket is what we need but a Fred/Romney ticket is what we’ll get.

Fred! is smart to wait until the 2nd & 3rd tier candidates are off the stage before he enters, it cheapens his candidacy to be see with them as equals, saves him $, and maximizes his debate time with true candidates instead of kooks.

Alden Pyle on July 27, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Back on topic, I saw the interview last night; he implied that the rumors of an early Sept announcement are correct, saying something about August being a slow month, but that the announcement would come soon.

Unlike a certain Flip-Flopping RINO from MA, he wouldn’t get into bashing the other Republicans but portrayed Hillary as pandering to the far left. He also made it clear that he gets it with regards to Iran, Syria, etc.

I was waiting for some nutty Ron Paul cultist to try and disrupt the interview, but they must’ve had enough Pest Control officers around to stop ‘em.

Hollowpoint on July 27, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Alden Pyle on July 27, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Fred/RomneyHunter ticket is what we’ll get.

With any luck any way…

doriangrey on July 27, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Hollowpoint on July 27, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Teh internets is a big place and everyone has a different palate, so I generally refrain from commentary on people I don’t care to read, but I am generally surprised when our cautious, but lovable eeyore links to her work.

I think Allahpundit’s overstating Rudy’s one-trick pony-ness.
Big S on July 27, 2007 at 12:22 PM

I agree. Familiarity breeds ambivalence?

Spirit of 1776 on July 27, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Romney/Fred 2008. That is the winner.

faraway on July 27, 2007 at 12:36 PM

I think Allahpundit’s overstating Rudy’s one-trick pony-ness.

Big S on July 27, 2007 at 12:22 PM

Your right… he has more than one trick…

Lets see…

Ran a Sanctuary city when he had 6x as many NY cops as we have Border Patrolmen…

2nd amendment issues…

Betrayal of First Responders….

Some of the 9/11 problems (lack of common radio channels) were known for years, but he did nothing…

Over 80% of the Judges he appointed were DEMOCRATS!

He’s got lots of tricks up his sleeves…

Romeo13 on July 27, 2007 at 12:36 PM

I guess I must be the only one left of die hard Fred!headers. Are you abandoning the Fred!ship already?

Captain Jones is going down with her ship, mateys!

kiakjones on July 27, 2007 at 12:36 PM

kiakjones on July 27, 2007 at 12:36 PM

I tend to support Fred!, but I am concerned about his choice of Spencer Abraham. I’m waiting to see what he does after he announces.

jdawg on July 27, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Hollowpoint on July 27, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Yea, and how dare that Fred run his own campaign his way. Doesn’t he know that we the people should be running his campaign? I mean all of us sitting here on the sidelines are the ones who should be making Fred’s campaign decisions, like when he should announce and who he should hire and what he should say… I mean how dare he think he can run a successful campaign without our expert guidance…The nerve of the man…

doriangrey on July 27, 2007 at 12:38 PM

It’s smart not to announce while he is still legally allowed to do his radio addresses and web postings away from the scrutiny of campaign rules and regulatations.

tommuck on July 27, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Eh…….

I contribute to Fred!, still think he is the best choice. I’m just not into the hysterics of damning him or of giving him godhead status…..what happens happens. By Feb 4 this will all be settled and we can get down to the main bout.

Limerick on July 27, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Limerick on July 27, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Any R would be an improvement over Hitlery.

jdawg on July 27, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Romeo13

All true. No arguments here. But for one-issue voters (terrorism), Rudy can’t be beat. The further from 9/11 we get, and without any other major attacks, Rudy’s appeal diminishes.

JiangxiDad on July 27, 2007 at 12:41 PM

JiangxiDad on July 27, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Don’t know about that, but it does seem to be the only thing he has going for him.

jdawg on July 27, 2007 at 12:42 PM

I’m much less worried about Fred not announcing yet than I am about Spencer Abraham but I’ll agree that he needs to be in by September.

I guess what I want is a repudiation of the globalist, open borders, huge government agenda.

Buzzy on July 27, 2007 at 12:42 PM

The NY Post today has this:

One Thompson adviser dismissed the notion that somehow [Spencer] Abraham will slow down the nascent campaign.

“Spence is not going to be the campaign manager,” the adviser said. “He won’t be running anything.”

That job will be in the hands of Randy Enwright, a veteran Florida Republican who is widely respected and also once ran the GOP in Iowa.

Some backtracking in progress, or was it always planned that Abraham wouldn’t be running anything? (That’s the kind of campaign management job I could dig.)

RWB on July 27, 2007 at 12:43 PM

I agree. Familiarity breeds ambivalence?

Spirit of 1776 on July 27, 2007 at 12:33 PM

I won’t try to explain his motives. However, Rudy’s record is much more than 9/11, and while it contains both good and bad things (everybody’s does), there’s a lot of good to be had. He accomplished about as much as an Associate Attorney General/US Attorney/Mayor of New York could resonably accomplish given the circumstances. He’s also gone to greater lengths than any of the other candidates to outline his positions and plans in a variety of areas, not just terrorism. I don’t care if someone disagrees with a politician (it’s what they’re there for, after all), just when they don’t have the guts to disagree on the merits, and instead label the candidate a “one trick pony.” It bothers me that others might be dumb enough to accept his assesment without looking for themselves.

Big S on July 27, 2007 at 12:44 PM

I mean how dare he think he can run a successful campaign without our expert guidance. doriangrey

Careful now. You’re making me notice my pajamas.

JiangxiDad on July 27, 2007 at 12:45 PM

/brag on (hopefully not too badly, but I consider myself very lucky)

Someone here on HA mentioned about 4 days ago that Fred might appear with Hannity in San Diego this week. I figured it could only be at the Freedom Concert. Put out feelers and got a last minute VIP “Guest of Freedom Alliance” package from the founder himself.

I don’t even like all country music, and support many similar and this cause already, but wanted to be there to check the pulse, outside of the media.

After having picture taken with O. North (who’s brutally handsome and nice), hands shaken with Soldiers of all branches (and who were in top form personality-wise), Duncan Hunter (whom I commended on his shamnesty and other efforts, and who also spoke briefly over BBQ), Gov. of Texas Perry (another handsome dude in person – kind of looks like Romney, very friendly), John Voight (whom I asked if he is the “father of that beautiful lady”, and when he said with a big smile “yes, I am”, I told “but you are way more beautiful than her”), and the “great one” Mark Levin (who’s really great and who during the show kidded that he calls Hannity “a pain in the ars” behind his back), proceeded to watch the H & C show being piped live.

It’s a very unorganized, rowdy, and not at all formal process. Hannity is cute in person (much shorter than I thought, but a good looking thing), and mostly frets about something or other during brakes. He’s also very personable to the audience. Mark Levin, Duncan Hunter and Fred appeared. Hannity’s wife (guys should give anything for one like her) and kids (cute bumpkins) wave at him during brakes, or get close to him. When, during a brake a lady dampened Hannity’s face with a wet towel and sprayed his hair I shouted “booo, you’re not Edwards”. The audience began to boo politely. He signed books afterward and Soldiers wanted his sigs badly and got them.

On to the concert. San Diego is a military town and there wasn’t a shred against that. At almost sunset, 7:30p.m. there was a fly-over and parachute jumps and then on to the appearances and the music. At about one 3rd into the 3-hrs concert Fred appeared. He was greeted warmly, not wildly, many standing and yelling. Obviously, some Rudy or Romney supporters were not standing but were clapping. Hannity had introduced him with “…well, he hasn’t announced yet”, and also with a face and reaction which said “but it’s only a small detail”, no fuss on the announcement, just short and factually who he is. Also Hannity introduced him as the “former Sen. from Tennessee” and not “the Law and order actor, who’s also been a senator”.

Fred was dressed to perfection in gray pants and dark jacket (it was unusually hot and humid in SD yesterday), no tie, said a few words related directly to the cause, kept it very short and didn’t focus on himself. Very appropriate for the occasion. It was nothing brilliant or Earth-shattering but such would have been out of place there. He got a nice applause and left. Nothing more, nothing less. It wasn’t thrilling, nor was it disappointing. If any other hotair-heads were there, I’d like to know your interpretation. I’m a declared anti-socialist, with no reservations. Therefore, I’ll vote for whomever runs against socialists.

The fallen Soldiers and anyone who ever served were honored repeatedly, best of all by Mark Levin, who’s passion is bullet-proof.

Of the performers Montgomery Gentry were the best and they have so much energy that the Coors Amphitheatre was literally rocking.

I concluded that America is still in good hands. The audience was full of decent people, who obviously love this country. There were myriad of Soldiers in uniform and the love to and from was very emotional to observe and to experience.

/brag off (but still with the gratitude to have had the privilege)

On Newt, I believe he will play a very large role in the Fred campaign. On Spencer Abraham, winning Michigan w/b huge and enhancing relations with non-militant Muslims too (they used to vote in large numbers conservative), domestic and foreign. Yes, I read the ‘militancy’ to the contrary. The reality is probably in the middle somewhere.

Entelechy on July 27, 2007 at 12:49 PM

I knew you guys would turn on him…get a life. What the f do you think you are going to get. You had better get behind somebody and do it with all your hearts…even if you don’t agree with everything he says or does.

crazy man, crazy.

tomas on July 27, 2007 at 12:54 PM

…He’s also gone to greater lengths than any of the other candidates to outline his positions and plans in a variety of areas, not just terrorism…
Big S on July 27, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Yep, I agree. As I have said before, I began this cycle with a negative view of Rudy – for reasons I’ll not go into to save time. But he has run a skilled campaign so far, and I’ve been impressed. Certainly I have my issues with some of his policies, but I have a favorable view of him as a candidate now.

The fact that he impresses me, impresses me.

Spirit of 1776 on July 27, 2007 at 12:56 PM

I don’t know if Fred will win, but I think he’s the best option we have (who has a shot to actually win the nomination).

congsan on July 27, 2007 at 1:02 PM

tomas on July 27, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Right.

Who’s it gonna be between Fred, Rudy or Mitt? To be honest, I still don’t know enough about any of them to decide yet. Couple of debates with Fred included will sort the field out nicely. Until then, who knows?

I can say one thing for certain though; no matter who the Dems run, and no matter who we run, there isn’t any way in hell I’ll pull the “D” lever next November.

I. Simply. Can’t.

BacaDog on July 27, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Alden Pyle on July 27, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Plus, it would look extremely bad for Fred if a real conservative like Hunter whooped his A$$ in a debate.

It would be good for us to know, however.

FloatingRock on July 27, 2007 at 1:08 PM

Which would probably happen in a real substantive debate.

Spirit of 1776 on July 27, 2007 at 1:24 PM

freds? empty rhetoric, as you all know, has been an issue for me since May. I see nothing different in the Hannity clip to weaken that view. It’s just more of the same broad, non-specific ideologies that other more experienced real candidates have been saying for months.

csdeven on July 27, 2007 at 1:46 PM

It would be good for us to know, however.

FloatingRock on July 27, 2007 at 1:08 PM

I think you’re overstating the impact of the 10 man “debates” we’ve been subjected to. In a perfect world the top 3 or 4 contenters would all be reliable conservatives, but that just isn’t the case unfortunately. I’d have liked to see a conservative like Hunter get more support than the likes of Rudy, Romney or McCain, but he hasn’t. None of the candidates boosted their standings significantly after the two debates thus far.

A debate that includes Hunter would almost certainly have to include the all the other candidates, meaning we’d just get more 30 second soundbites from each instead of a real debate.

Hollowpoint on July 27, 2007 at 1:49 PM

The only times I’ve truly been impressed by Fred so far is when I hear him reading from a script in his ABC radio commentaries. When unscripted, Fred sounds like a likable guy but there is virtually zero substance to his remarks. It has led me to wonder if he even wrote those scripts. Does anybody know?

In light of Spencer Abraham and an apparently faltering non-campaign, has Fred addressed the concerns of his base about Abraham? It’s been a few days and we’re heading into a weekend. Are they in such disarray that they haven’t had time to address our concerns, or have they decided that they just don’t care? I have serious reservations about Fred now, even though I started out this week very strongly in his camp.

I’m going to be very disappointed if Fred hides in the shadows until Hunter leaves the stage and then turns out to be a flop, leaving conservatives like me to choose among the remaining libs in the race.

FloatingRock on July 27, 2007 at 2:10 PM

I think between Fred, Mitt, or Rudy the only one who’ll get the evangelical vote is Fred. Remember it was the evangelical Christians who elected Bush to two terms. Without it we would have had Gore/Lieberman/Kerry/Edwards in the White House. For conservatives to win the base has to be excited and your Republican base is largely Christian.

The default vote is Dhemocrat because you don’t have to think and you get promised lots of free stuff. We don’t need a Dole type candidate who doesn’t excite and then loses. We need someone who’ll light a fire under our butts.

Mojave Mark on July 27, 2007 at 2:24 PM

Mojave Mark, so far I haven’t seen any candidate light the fire under any butts. The left wants to win badly and is against all the right is for (for reasons you stated). None of their candidates are, however, inspiring, the media’s hype over Obama notwithstanding.

The right doesn’t have a true leader either. I’m looking for someone to inspire the country, not only their side. The ‘masacre’ of a system in the primaries almost prevents someone like that to emerge from both isles. Sad.

Entelechy on July 27, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Entelechy on July 27, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Oh come on…God himself could be running for POTUS and the media would not only not hype him but they would hit peice after hit piece on him.

The media are corrupt dishonest communists masquerading as socialists pretending to be liberal democrats who do not report the news but create what they want the news to be. They are driving their agenda and refuse to cover anything that cannot be spun to support their perverted vision for America’s future.

doriangrey on July 27, 2007 at 2:51 PM

doriangrey on July 27, 2007 at 2:51 PM

A lot of Republicans would do the same thing….

Unfortunately.

jdawg on July 27, 2007 at 2:54 PM

doriangrey, I’m on – we agree.

Entelechy on July 27, 2007 at 2:59 PM

The MSM controlled format of the debates so far has not put out the information needed to make an informed choice of a candidate. Concerning Fred Thompson. Much has been written about judging a person by who he is associated with. It seems like a due diligence caveat is the order of the day.

sonnyspats1 on July 27, 2007 at 3:14 PM

sonnyspats1 on July 27, 2007 at 3:14 PM

It seems like a due diligence caveat is the order of the day.

Hmm and here I was thinking that the caveat should have something to do with who his enemies are…

doriangrey on July 27, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Fred has a planned time and he’s not announcing until that time comes. He’ll take major hits for it now, but as in Rome the crowd is fickle. When he announces he’ll get back most of those he lost plus others that don’t even know he’s running or thinking about it.

It will be in September. Remember what I say; September. He’ll use what the libs and dems say about 9/11 and smack them with it and these things will be the ‘last straw’ that causes ‘Fred for President’. Remember; I just called the when the where and the why. Oh the where, It will be in a speach about 9/11 at a blog get together, like ta Gathering of Eagles type thing.

- The Cat

P.S. Fred will win. I’ve picked em (not voted mind you but picked them) from Reagan’s 2nd term on. So there, you have it.

MirCat on July 27, 2007 at 3:39 PM

The real question is who is going to be Veep: Newt Gingrich, Michael Steele, or Elisabeth Rohm?

- The Cat

MirCat on July 27, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Great series of posts above. I’m trusting all of you to vote in ’08.

MirCat on July 27, 2007 at 3:42 PM

I’ve picked ‘em too sister, also since Reagan (peace be upon him). I say you’re dead on about Fred. There are two questions that must be answered to determine who’ll win in ’08.

(1) Who didn’t vote for Kerry that’s GOING to vote for Hitlery?
(2) Who didn’t vote for Bush that’s GOING to vote for Thompson?

Poilitics is about moving the margins. There are droves of libs/moderates who will die before voting for Hitlery Clinton. Convincing a Bush alumnist to vote for Thompson is a no-brainer. Convincing a moderate Kerryite to vote for Thompson is very doable. We’ve had 20 years of Bush/Clinton fatigue and America simply won’t put them back in office this decade. I say we win in ’08. Not a huge win, ’cause we always have to spot New York and California to the libs, but a win nonetheless. The current polls a year and a half out are meaningless.

I’d rather see Newt as chief of staff. He’s an idea machine.

Mojave Mark on July 27, 2007 at 4:04 PM

doriangrey on July 27, 2007 at 3:27 PM

There is an easier way to compile all the information on candidates than 30 second sound bites from the debates or biased hit peices fron the MSM. The regional constituency of the individual candidates have had years to ge to know their man. It is imperitive to have the actual records of all Republican candidates compiled on one site. By doing this we override the MSM debate format and the candidates get national exposure. I know there are sites devoted to this already but that is only Senate voting records and such and does not include governors, mayors ect. performance in the real world.

sonnyspats1 on July 27, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Jees, from these post I thought I was at the Huffpo or Ron Paul blog.

TheSitRep on July 27, 2007 at 4:11 PM

MirCat on July 27, 2007 at 3:42 PM

The real question is who is going to be Veep: Newt Gingrich, Michael Steele, or Elisabeth RohmDuncan Hunter?

- The Cat

There fixed that for you… :P

doriangrey on July 27, 2007 at 4:19 PM

May the MirCat have the final meow!

I’d rather see Newt as chief of staff. He’s an idea machine.

Mojave Mark on July 27, 2007 at 4:04 PM

The “idea machine” will be put to great use during the run. The rest will sort itself out, if they win – he’ll probably get to choose what position he wishes to have.

You’re spot-on regarding “idea machine”. Of all, I like his brain the best.

Entelechy on July 27, 2007 at 4:27 PM

(1) Who didn’t vote for Kerry that’s GOING to vote for Hitlery?
(2) Who didn’t vote for Bush that’s GOING to vote for Thompson?

Mojave Mark on July 27, 2007 at 4:04 PM

TV Teddy Bear vs Crazy Ex Wife/Interfering Mother in Law/Scary Middle School Teacher. Nuff said :)

- The Cat

MirCat on July 27, 2007 at 4:34 PM

MirCat on July 27, 2007 at 3:39 PM

I’m sure fred? will try a media stunt like that and I’m sure there are people out there who are still fooled by the facade he has created. But don’t expect Rudy or Mitt! to sit still and do nothing. Mitt! will have won the Iowa straw poll by then and all the candidates will have done another debate. Rudy and Mitt! will still have extensive experience under their belts and fred? will only have his rhetoric and weak senate record. Compare freds? inability to speak off the cuff to the well spoken Rudy and Mitt! and freddie boy will destroyed in the first debate.

The death of one thousand cuts has already begun with fred? and the more we know about him, the more cuts he gets.

csdeven on July 27, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Bush nephew has enough of freds? crap.

csdeven on July 27, 2007 at 5:14 PM

csdeven on July 27, 2007 at 5:14 PM

I feel a little better, looks like some of the RINOs are leaving at least. Thanks

Buzzy on July 27, 2007 at 5:56 PM

So, Fred? went on an interview with Hannity again…

Shocking.

I don’t know why anyone still supports Fredbot. He’s the most obnoxious presidential non-candidate yet. He’s so inexperienced and lazy we could literally replace him with a robot. Need a speech? Fredbot spits one out, hitting every conservative talking point in a continuous stream since 1980. In the Senate, he’d only need a republican voting algorithm. You could blame CFR on a glitch in the system. Same with his hiring, just an error in programming judgement. Now he’s having his maintenance administrator run his campaign.

Fredbot for President: A Cold, Unfeeling, Inexperienced, Innovation-Devoid Candidate programmed to speak 20 year old conservative platitudes through Hannity.

BKennedy on July 27, 2007 at 5:58 PM

BKennedy on July 27, 2007 at 5:58 PM

Whoa there BK.
Fred! is currently the Republican Dark Horse… and acting like it.
I think he’s right to buy as much time as he can before deciding, even though this plays into the anti-Fred! stereotype. What’s a guy to do?
Your caricature is its own reward. I’ve been predicting Rudy for a couple of years now, but if Thompson has the gumption to walk the walk, we’ll see.

Randy

williars on July 27, 2007 at 6:33 PM

BKennedy on July 27, 2007 at 5:58 PM

Someone running for the Republican nomination who gives conservative speeches and votes Republican? Gee, what was I doing supporting the guy for the Republican nomination? What was I thinking?

Guess I should support someone who gives non-conservative speeches and votes with the Democrats! Thanks for setting me straight!

Hollowpoint on July 27, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Hollowpoint on July 27, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Yeah, what’s wrong with you? Knock it off, willya? ;-}

jdawg on July 27, 2007 at 6:56 PM

So, Fred? went on an interview with Hannity again…

Shocking.

Yeah, that’s terrible. A conservative republican letting himself being interviewed by a conservative at a pro-military veteran event.

What’s next? A democrat being interviewed by CNN?? Please say it ain’t so.

jdawg on July 27, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Someone running for the Republican nomination
Hollowpoint on July 27, 2007 at 6:48 PM

No, he isn’t running. fred? is too scared to become a real candidate.

csdeven on July 27, 2007 at 7:47 PM

So, Fred? went on an interview with Hannity again…

Shocking.

jdawg on July 27, 2007 at 6:58 PM nailed it with

Fred has been to all the Freedom Concerts so far. He’ll likely show at all of them. Hannity, as one of the two main organizers/supporters of the event, will not miss the opportunity to interview him every time for the HJ & C show, which he loves to do from the events, as it gives the cause much needed publicity and support. He’ll probably interview any conservative personality, political or otherwise, who shows up.

One can still be against Fred but hardly for this reason.

Entelechy on July 27, 2007 at 9:34 PM

ANOTHER staffer from the imploding fred? non-campaign resigns. Supposedly because of Jeri.

csdeven on July 27, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Quite the fair-weather fans, aren’t we?

August is a dead month. Fred will announce right after Labor Day and immediately gain 5 points on everyone. He’ll coast to the nomination and will win the general in a Reaganesque landslide.

Thus speaketh prophecy.

Tennman on July 27, 2007 at 11:24 PM

Tennman on July 27, 2007 at 11:24 PM

I predict his “announcement” will result in absolutely no upward movement in the polls.

As for August being a “dead month,” I’m not sure that applies any more, in the era of 24/7 information saturation.

Nobody from the South will win in a Reaganesque landslide in 2008.

Big S on July 27, 2007 at 11:36 PM

I’m still holding my tongue until he is officially in the race. Then he’s fair game. He’s on luxury time now.

Egfrow on July 28, 2007 at 5:52 AM

Thus speaketh prophecy.

Tennman on July 27, 2007 at 11:24 PM

Tennman: I, NOSTRADAMUS do predictiate that stuff will happen at the Hister!

BKennedy on July 28, 2007 at 8:10 AM

You hair renting fred?heads need to go watch freddie boys interview with the Hoover institute and then go watch this interview with Mitt! Romney.

IF you are honest with yourself (which I doubt), you will see how a real leader in Mitt! Romney, sounds verses the vacuous empty rhetoric spouted by a lazy, lying, ball-less fake who has to be pushed into a possible announcement to run for president, that we see in fred?.

Really, what is with all this fred? is the savior crap? The guy has nothing except the rhetoric we have been hearing from other conservatives for years. No real plans, no leadership, no initiative, and he has to be lead to the answers the interviewer wants. Mitt! is asked a question and he answers with specifics that are real world and attainable.

Really, you need to re-think your starry eyed support of the lying fake fred?. Really, you do.

csdeven on July 28, 2007 at 9:30 AM

What everyone seems to forget is that we have really competent people with real life accomplishments running for the Republican nomination while the top Democrats are basically “airheads” with no record of anything substantial.

Regardless of who wins the Republicans are going to end up with a very competent ticket. The major problem will be a voter base that doesn’t have a clue and hipe from a very liberal MSM. We can only hope the talent and experience wins.

None of the Republican candidates are going to make everybody happy on all their positions. I personally prefer Fred but Rudy or Mitt would do just fine.

duff65 on July 28, 2007 at 3:58 PM