Gay artist burns $60,000 Koran to protest homophobic hate

posted at 6:59 pm on July 27, 2007 by Allahpundit

He got it from his late … wife?

Charles Merrill, the artist who recently edited the Holy Bible with a black marker and pair of scissors, has lately burned a rare Islamic Holy Book, The Koran, valued at $60,000.00, in an undisclosed Chicago location. “The purpose of editing and burning Abrahamic Holy Books is to eliminate homophobic hate,” Merrill stated. “Both ancient books are terrorist manuals.”

He continues, “I inherited the rare Islamic book from my late wife, Evangeline Johnson Merrill. As the daughter of the founder of the international pharmaceutical giant, Johnson and Johnson, Inc., doors of kings and queens opened to her around the world. Evangeline was given the rare manuscript by the late King of Jordan when she was on a mission for the United Nations in the 1950′s.”

“Airplanes are flown into buildings because of words, and hate crimes against gays,” Merrill said.

Merrill is a self-made millionaire, artist, fervent atheist and cousin of the co-founder of Merrill Lynch.

It’ll be interesting to see how this comment thread shakes out. Heh.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This guy is a tool. Like others have said, he can do whatever he wants with his belongings, but why not sell the Koran (instead of burning it in an undisclosed location) and work to support Ms. Ali or Dr. Sultan? Oh, wait, they generally like America.

Chris L. on July 28, 2007 at 11:29 AM

Wow. A “fervent atheist” calling the Bible a terrorist manual.

No surprise there.

Ryan Gandy on July 28, 2007 at 12:41 PM

I’d suggest the gay community rethink this one! Islam still does that “homo stoning” thing in Iran and other places and I don’t think they want to start something with these guys.

No joke.

It amazes me just how many liberals who are in favor of “gay” rights are against us wiping our butts with the Koran.

Ryan Gandy on July 28, 2007 at 12:43 PM

I would have sold the $60K version and burned a $6.95 paperback, but I guess I’m not as smart as an artist.

RedWinged Blackbird on July 27, 2007 at 7:05 PM

Uh, yeah, my thought exactly.

His politics are boring and trite; his anti-religious prattling is cowardly and hypocritical.

But I’m a rare book collector – so I’m having a little trouble smiling at this guy’s protest. That was a historical relic he burned (in secret cuz he’s a chicken). He should have donated to a museum (or given it to me), then burned another Koran in Times Square.

I’m all for challenging Islamic lunacy. I’m all for using the First Amendment to showcase your stupidity.

But did it have to be *that* particular Koran?

Ironic irony: I’ll bet this same guy goes to protests for feeding the homeless and helping starving kids in Africa … yet he burns a $60,000 without a thought to what the money could have been used for?

Somebody should have at least told him he was releasing carbon into the atmosphere. That might have slowed him down some.

Professor Blather on July 28, 2007 at 1:04 PM

He would be ARRESTED IF IN NY @ PACE UNIVERSITY

UNFRICKIN REAL

shooter on July 28, 2007 at 1:33 PM

Pictures/video or it didn’t happen.

jeffNWV on July 28, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Of course he did it in secret. When this artist destroyed the Bible, he did it everyone could see. Coward. Hypocrite.

pat on July 27, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Amen. Err, well, you know what I mean.

Labamigo on July 28, 2007 at 2:12 PM

So, he is for censorship. Doesn’t that go against his artistic standards? Then again he is a Liberal, enough said.

Zaire67 on July 28, 2007 at 2:17 PM

Shooter…he won’t be arrested for a hate crime. Didn’t you know…gays don’t commit hate crimes.

jjjen on July 28, 2007 at 6:05 PM

I understand what he did, and it makes some sense why he did it.

However, “burning books to promote tolerance” is such a paradox I’m afraid there will be more confusion than understanding…

I’m promoting tolerance, by burning books I disagree with? Ok, sure it was his book to do with as he pleases; but the underlying meaning is bound to be lost on some.

gekkobear on July 29, 2007 at 2:42 AM