Video: Sen. Reid apologizes for “tantrum”

posted at 12:40 pm on July 26, 2007 by Bryan

The Senate has just passed a bill that would actually enforce the border. Here’s what it would do:

“There is hereby appropriated $3,000,000,000 to satisfy the requirements set out in section 1002(a) and, if any amount remains after satisfying such requirements, to achieve and maintain operational control over the international land and maritime borders of the United States, for employment eligibility verification improvements, for increased removal and detention of visa overstays, criminal aliens, aliens who have illegally reentered the United States, and for reimbursement of State and local section 287(g) expenses. These amounts are designated as an emergency requirement pursuant to section 204 of S. Con. Res. 21 (110th Congress).”

Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) has led the fight to make sure that the money appropriated actually goes toward border enforcement. Yesterday Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid threw a fit against Cornyn’s amendment, but today reversed himself, and ate a medium helping of crow.

There’s more background here and here, including the identity of the lone senator who voted against the bill. You won’t be surprised.

Comments

hairy reed is the worst leader the Senate has had in my lifetime…and I’m 63…he’s a moron and a defeatist…

areseaoh on July 26, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Photoshop some crumpled black feathers coming out of the extreme corners of Harry ["I stand by the statements he made" e.g: Dick Durbin's calumny about our Gulag/Nazi/Pol Pot-like military members] Reid’s mouth, and it will be a much better image.

profitsbeard on July 26, 2007 at 12:48 PM

That the Leader of the “Greatest Deliberative Body on Earth” would talk about throwing tantrums as a NORMAL THING is truly disturbing.

Romeo13 on July 26, 2007 at 12:48 PM

So now the Senate is doing the right thing and focusing on border security. I haven’t been following the news lately. Is it me or has the MSM not picked up this story the way the covered the shamnesty bill?

Mallard T. Drake on July 26, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Check that second link, Allah. It starts with “mailto:”.

LB - the one that isn't LaShawn Barber on July 26, 2007 at 1:01 PM

Sorry – Bryan, not Allah. Oops.

LB - the one that isn't LaShawn Barber on July 26, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Well, it’s a welcome thing to see him lose a bit of his bluster, at least…

NeoConNews on July 26, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Bryan, your second “here” link is messed up.

pullingmyhairout on July 26, 2007 at 1:03 PM

You are forgiven, Senator Reid, under the condition that you continue throwing tantrums….cause crow tastes like chicken after you’ve eaten it a few times.

Why did Kennedy vote Yes? Must be another backroom deal going on. Stay sharp, folks.

captivated_dem on July 26, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Fixed.

Bryan on July 26, 2007 at 1:07 PM

When Reid says that Congress is trying to do what Americans want, it’s painful.

Deceit from the Democratic led Congress is about as rare as a Barbara Streisand farewell concert.

Hening on July 26, 2007 at 1:10 PM

FireFly on July 26, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Reid is an absolute ass. I wouldn’t hire him to mow my lawn let alone serve as a U.S. senator. He’s nothing more than a spoiled brat child with a suit and wrinkles.

rplat on July 26, 2007 at 1:20 PM

Harry Reid as Senate Leader is so clueless, it is not even funny. You honestly have to wonder how in the world did this guy wind up in the Senate in the first place. What was going through the voters heads in Nevada when they chose this clown?

pilamaye on July 26, 2007 at 1:21 PM

I WANT AN OOMPA-LOOMPA, NOW!

bloggless on July 26, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Reid is out of his league. He needs to apologize for his treatment of our troops, who are suffering in the desert heat for his butt. He’s in comfy air conditioning surrounded by servants and flunkies doing his will. Clearly, mommy spoiled Harrie, and she dresses him funny.

saved on July 26, 2007 at 1:29 PM

This guy makes my 3yr.old fits look calm.Maybe harry needs a timeout.Hope people of nv.will give him one soon.

mr.ede on July 26, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Harry, thank you for admitting you were wrong in your desire to divert border enforcement dollars away from border enforcement. Now can you please turn and face John McCain, Barack Huessein Obama, Voinavich, Brownback, Dodd, etc and explain to them why you had the change of heart, and why you now believe their insane stance on this issue is incorrect.

We must throw all these Amnesty bums out of office. The problem grows exponentially every day.

Zetterson on July 26, 2007 at 1:43 PM

How does he have time to sit down and eat crow, he has subpoenas to send out.

right2bright on July 26, 2007 at 1:48 PM

captivated_dem on July 26, 2007 at 1:06 PM

And this is the key right here. Well said captivated_dem. We must not settle for anything short of definitive proof of law enforcement and border enforcement. I’ve seen nothing but the opposite so far from these frauds.

Zetterson on July 26, 2007 at 1:50 PM

What a belligerent pompous ass!

It’s very telling that Harry Reid would say he “hates to acknowledge” the fact that he was wrong.

Obvious proof of Reid’s leftist/progressive/nutroot end goals trump national issues, security and legislation.

186k on July 26, 2007 at 1:54 PM

I wonder if the reason Senator Reid is eating humble pie today because of this statistics and other information I found regarding his state.

Summary Demographic State Data (and Source)
Population (2006 CB estimate): 2,495,529
Legal Immigrant Admission (INS 1996-2005): 78,727
Refugee Admission (2004 HHS): 722
Illegal Alien Population (2005 FAIR estimate): 353,000
Projected Population – 2025 (2001 FAIR): 7,121,000
Projected Population – 2050 (2006 FAIR): 8,688,545

COST OF ILLEGAL ALIENS
Incarceration Costs -The INS estimated in February 2003 that the illegal alien population in Nevada was about 101,000 residents. This was more than a four-fold increase from the last INS estimate that in October 1996 the illegal alien population living in Nevada was 24,000 residents. The previous INS estimate was that in October 1992 there were 18,000 illegal aliens. The numbers show a rapidly growing illegal alien population.

Makes you wonder if his loyal and wealthy constituents aren’t as supportive of him as they may have been.

kiakjones on July 26, 2007 at 2:05 PM

Next I hear he’s gonna apologize to the troops for telling us that the war is lost and, oh wait, never mind, that was a dream I had last night.

RMCS_USN on July 26, 2007 at 2:05 PM

these not this*

Doh!

kiakjones on July 26, 2007 at 2:06 PM

God help us… this man wants to be President?

FireFly on July 26, 2007 at 2:08 PM

This was far too easy, look at it hard, we got a screwing coming.

conservnut on July 26, 2007 at 2:46 PM

Zetterson on July 26, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Operational control of the borders and ports by 2012. Can’t be caught napping between now and then. Too many opportunities for mischief from our legislators.

captivated_dem on July 26, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Mother should not have ever named him Harry. Should a named him “DICK”.

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE on July 26, 2007 at 3:33 PM

“I see yet again Obama elected not to vote. Typical gutless wonder. I love how he gets a pass every time he does that.”
He uses the same Pass that Mr. Teresa Heinz Kerry has used hundreds of times and got a way with…wait, I’m being harsh, he did ‘call in’ some votes. Barak Hussein Obama won’t be bothered to call in any votes.
Well, the simple explanation could be as Obama’s wife said: As a ‘black man’, he takes his life in his hands every time he pumps gas. I guess he ran out of gas on the way to work and was afraid to go to the gas station. It must be them white genes that makes him a chicken-bleep.

Christine on July 26, 2007 at 4:09 PM

where can one find transcripts of the Senate’s deliberations?

I want to find something Harkin of Iowa said during the Reid Slumber Party….

jcrue on July 26, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Wheres the fence?!?!

pmoshields on July 26, 2007 at 4:20 PM

And these morons want to run my health care? I don’t think so!!!

sabbott on July 26, 2007 at 4:53 PM

I WANT AN OOMPA-LOOMPA, NOW!

bloggless on July 26, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Harry could never even perform as well as an OOMPA-LOOMPA. We need a fantasy game to replicate a Harry Reid action of our choice.

This was far too easy, look at it hard, we got a screwing coming.

conservnut on July 26, 2007 at 2:46 PM

Maybe not.

Maybe they have taken the time to listen to the constituents request.
According to an audio clip of Ronald Reagan here at about the 9:00 minute mark Congress considers one hundred (100) letters per lawmaker or about four thousand (4000) total to be the benchmark indicator of a trend.

My impression is that these lawmakers after their initial “emotion” figured out how to do the equivalent basic math skills of at least an OOMPA-LOOMPA mixing chocolate and sugar…. with new revealed knowledge that salt, although the same color as sugar is not good for a white chocolate candy bar.
This “confusion” of “white” colors is still a carry over from the confusion of the word “is” versus “is”.

This revelation was greatly assisted by the “loud” folks decibel volume.

Exit statement: If they think that after all this they can “slip” something over us, then they have heard nothing yet!!!!

Exit question: Does anybody doubt that they love to remain in power?

Mcguyver on July 26, 2007 at 5:30 PM

Re the one senator who voted against the measure;

I hereby humbly tender my apologies to all HotAir posters.

I voted for George Voinovich four times; twice for Governor, and twice for Senator. So it’s at least partly my fault he’s in there.

He won’t get my vote again. Period.

cheers

eon

eon on July 26, 2007 at 5:32 PM

And these morons want to run my health care? I don’t think so!!!

sabbott on July 26, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Listen to Ronald Reagan on how to prevent a socialists health care take over.

Mcguyver on July 26, 2007 at 5:33 PM

I thought Daschel was bad,i can,t stand Reid.

canopfor on July 26, 2007 at 6:15 PM

I am frankly amazed that this bill passed. I mean, from all appearances its a common sense, good for America bill – and it passed, with almost a majority! This is highly irregular. Has our senate been kidnapped and replaced with Pod People? If so, I for one welcome our new overlords

Keli on July 26, 2007 at 6:17 PM

oops I meant almost unanimously!, not almost a majority

Keli on July 26, 2007 at 6:20 PM

I’m just so shocked he apologized, I sat here stunned for a minute. But yeah, I think something’s up.

PowWow on July 26, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Our system seems to be breaking down all around us. Those elected to represent us no longer do. Our legislators are the puppets and the fortune 500 multinationals pull the strings. This is not the America I was born into. God bless America.

Ernest on July 26, 2007 at 8:05 PM

Voinovich probably didn’t vote for this bill because somebody told there wouldn’t be ice cream afterwards.

Politics was invented for the same reason as Rock and Roll.

So even ugly, clueless losers can get laid, except that Rock stars get better looking women and aren’t as clueless.

Speakup on July 26, 2007 at 10:41 PM

eon on July 26, 2007 at 5:32 PM

Bless your little scales, you are forgiven, just this once.

RushBaby on July 26, 2007 at 11:09 PM