YouTube gun owner invites Biden to “discuss” the issue with him

posted at 10:16 am on July 25, 2007 by Allahpundit

Discuss, not discuss. He’s also exploring a slander suit, which won’t fly, but no matter. The media attention to this story is more valuable anyway:

Many in the audience at The Citadel military college in Charleston, S.C., laughed and applauded. But the response in Townsend’s home and among gun enthusiasts was considerably more chilly.

Townsend called the Biden response “kind of off-kilter,” adding: “I think he hurt himself. A lot of people who are out there said, ‘We are all gun owners. He lost my vote.’”

His 28 seconds of fame (the length of the video) continued into Tuesday, as local television stations and newspapers called for interviews. He said one supporter asked him whether he intended to sue Biden for slander.

“I don’t know. I guess it’s worth looking into,” he said.

For now, Townsend said he had e-mailed and phoned the Biden campaign, inviting the senator to come to Clio to discuss gun issues. “It would surprise me if I got a response.”

The boss wonders in her column today if Greasy Joe’s fusillade at gun owners won’t ricochet back at the Democrats. He’ll be ancient history come election time so I have my doubts, but it’s worth noting that of the three clips I cut from the debate on Monday night, the private jet one — which Instapundit linked — has 6,400+ views, the one of Obama saying he’ll meet with anti-American world leaders that everyone’s been buzzing about has a little more than 4,000 views, and the Biden clip has … almost 15,000. And more than 300 comments too, which is fabulously unusual for a political clip in my experience. (The private jet and Obama clips have 36 combined.) ‘Tubers are obviously interested in it. That fact, plus the sheer rudeness of insulting a constituent at a public debate, would make a nice bit in an ad next fall.

Comments

So typical of the liberal elite. Anyone who loves guns must be “mentally challenged” in some way.

Good Grief! What a snob. He makes me want to puke.

Rightwingsparkle on July 25, 2007 at 10:23 AM

Dhimmicrats showing their true colors… and they ain’t Red White and Blue.

Swinehound on July 25, 2007 at 10:24 AM

Don’t be too hard on Biden, he was just speaking truth to power.

corbettw on July 25, 2007 at 10:24 AM

I’ve always thought Biden was a jerk.

JayHaw Phrenzie on July 25, 2007 at 10:24 AM

What did you expect from a liberal like Greasy Joe? They are always sneering at the Constitution. Case in point…..McCain -Feingold.

“Second Amendment? What Second Amendment? That’s not in my copy!”

Let me remind you that because of liberal idiocy on the Second Amendment we still have Gun-free Sitting-Duck Zones. I should know. I work on a college campus.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 25, 2007 at 10:25 AM

Durbin’s Response was just down right wrong and uncalled for (If he needs mental help then what about the hundreds of others who replied in stupid ways, talked about UFO sightings, wore Ski Mask or dressed as a snow man complaining about global warming, etc etc.) But figuring this “debate” (*cough* stump speach and one liners for sound bytes) was run by the liberal YouTube and CNN, so any surprise?

Razgriez on July 25, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Just because we call our firearms “babies” doesn’t mean we are mentally challenged. What a butt wipe. Yes, I call mine my baby and it has a trigger lock plus it’s inside a locked cabinet. duh!!

ChrisIansNana on July 25, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Anyone know for certain what the weapon is question is, just out of curiosity? It looked like some sort of semi-automatic assault weapon, which would have been a legal purchase by any other description except “assault” gun.

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 10:40 AM

What will hurt the Democrats is not just what Biden said, but how many in the crowd reacted. The laughing and cheering after his insulting comment once again shows the contempt many in this party’s base have for those who have the audacity to take the second amendment at face value.

Slublog on July 25, 2007 at 10:40 AM

I’m probably going to get beat up here for this comment but I didn’t think Greasy Joe was completely off base with that reaction. I will fight to the death against those trying to chip away and abolish the second Amendment of the Constitution but, please, when you start to compare a gun to your son or daughter (your baby) it is a little unhuman, in my opinion. A baby does not equal a gun. To insinuate that it does will not help the cause. Many people cringed at the way he equated his gun to his baby including myself (who is on his side to begin with). Any person undecided on this issue was driven to the side of the gun grabbers by the way that guy framed the issue. Guns are a means to protecting your babies, self and freedom. That piece of metal is not your baby.

Zetterson on July 25, 2007 at 10:46 AM

Maybe Mr. Townsend should have called his gun “my little friend.”

KelliD on July 25, 2007 at 10:49 AM

“This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.”
Having a son in the U.S.Military I know this to be true…

Babs on July 25, 2007 at 10:51 AM

It would surprise me if Biden ever got elected.

MadisonConservative on July 25, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Zetterson,
Duh, I do not compare my guns or my truck (which I also call my baby) to my children or grandchildren. It is just a name because be take care of it, cleaning it after use and make sure it is in a secure place. Just like I get regular maintenence on my truck, wash and wax it etc.

ChrisIansNana on July 25, 2007 at 10:55 AM

The people who set up the debate chose the worst video possible to ask this question…

I’m sure there were plenty of other videos on that issue, but they chose one which made the Pro Gun lobby look silly, and thus set up the response.

It would be like having a Grand Kleegle for the KKK ask a question about Freedom of Speech… you slander one side of the question by briniging in an apparently disfuntional individual as the proponent of one side… Oprah and the View both do this a LOT….

Romeo13 on July 25, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Zetterson on July 25, 2007 at 10:46 AM

I thought Townsend’s comment was odd, but Biden’s reaction was uncalled for, and the audience’s joy in his insult was even worse. I was unsurprised that YouTube picked his clip to represent gun owners, however.

Slublog on July 25, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Biden is just another zero in a line of non-entities. He has a snowball’s chance in hell of even registering anything close to double digits in popularity. He was pandering to the leftwing extremist radicals who are drawn to the most irrational thing said.

volsense on July 25, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Dang it…beat by one minute.

Slublog on July 25, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Personally I winced when the youtuber referred to the AR as his “baby” – I think that presented an inaccurate image of gun owners, which played right into the lefty agenda on that stage. Irresponsible IMHO.

Having said that, I just betcha hypocrite Biden doesn’t have a problem with the men who are protecting him packing heat.

infidel4life on July 25, 2007 at 11:01 AM

Zetterson is right. But that’s what makes the clip interesting. Enthusiasm does not equal criminality or mental deficiency. He’s clearly baiting Beiden. So Joe and members of the audience feel themselves qualified to decide who should be denied their rights based on who enjoys those rights just a little too much.
My new holster arrived yesterday. I had to pack it and look at it in the mirror. Don’t tell Joe.

Buck Turgidson on July 25, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Who’s calling whom “mentally unbalanced”?

Vanquisher on July 25, 2007 at 11:04 AM

Just another limousine-liberal comment. Biden and his family have zero chance of ever needing a gun for protection. Give the rest of us the kind of security and authority he gets and I could give up my gun too.

JiangxiDad on July 25, 2007 at 11:06 AM

Zetterson on July 25, 2007 at 10:46 AM

Slublog on July 25, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Guys, I think we’re reading too much into Townshend’s comment. We don’t know this guy from Adam. He might not have any kids in the first place, but no matter. I took it as a typically macho comment from a guy who treasures his self-defense weapon, and who wouldn’t?

As for Greasy Joe, he’s a tool. Bragging about authoring the assault weapon ban was none-too-bright. The ban made weapons illegal based almost entirely on how they looked. Michelle’s web site identified his baby as a version of the Bushmaster AR15 carbon rifle, basically an M16 lookalike.

Numerous ignorant commenters elsewhere have (knee-jerk) referred to it as an “automatic” weapon, which it certainly is not, unless he illegally converted it. The reaction is exactly the point about the assault gun ban — this is a semi-automatic .22 caliber rifle. There are hundreds of these that were never illegal; it is a remarkably common rife.

It “looks scary”. BFD.

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Dhimmicrats showing their true colors… and they ain’t Red White and Blue.

Swinehound on July 25, 2007 at 10:24 AM

ain’t that the truth. The guy who asked the question has good reason to be worried.

Keli on July 25, 2007 at 11:09 AM

ChrisIansNana on July 25, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Yes, ChrisIansNana, I understand its not a litteral thing. You don’t honestly think your truck is your baby and the man in the video didn’t litterally think his gun was his baby. I get that. What made me cringe was not that I thought he was making a litteral comparison. It was the fact that I could here thousands of undecided voters running away from wanting to be on the same side as this man. Its my concern that perception is reality in politics. If one is to be persuasive they need not only to target their arguments to those who agree with them already but, more importantly, they need to target the swing voters. The undecided voters. His argument would have been far more powerful and far more persuasive if he could have gotten to the heart of what the Second Amendment is all about rather then just saying that he loves his gun and his gun is his baby.

Zetterson on July 25, 2007 at 11:10 AM

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Mexican criminals skipping the border are scary looking too. Biden loves letting them in daily.

MadisonConservative on July 25, 2007 at 11:10 AM

Allright, after more thought, I’d like to clarify. I don’t think Townsend went about adressing the cause in the most effective way. I also think Biden was arrogant, rude and out of line with his comment. I just think Townsend framing his question the way he did openned the door for Biden to appeal to swing voters by being such an arrogant loser.

Zetterson on July 25, 2007 at 11:12 AM

I think the focus on him referring to his AR as his baby is ridiculous. How many people out there jokingly refer to their restored (or mint) antique car or pricey sports car or even their motorcycle as their baby? A hell of a lot. And yeah, I agree, not the best video, which I’m sure was done intentionally.

Bad Candy on July 25, 2007 at 11:14 AM

All the gun ban measures are stupid anyway, criminals are rarely using assault weapons, and if they wanted to, I’m guessing they wouldn’t waste their time with semi-auto ones bought at a regulated US gunstore when there’s hundreds of miles of Southern border to have full auto weapons and whatever else they wanted smuggled in.

Bad Candy on July 25, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Zett,

One of the great surprises in learning late in life to shoot shotguns and handguns is how women react to guns when they actually handle them. Women like guns, and they like to shoot, if not necessarily to hunt.

The NRA knows this secret well, and spends great energy and effort to spread the word and get the girls out to the skeet range or indoors to the handgun range. My friend and neighbor is looking forward to his daughter and her friends coming home from a summer of volunteer work in New Orleans, rebuilding from the hurricane damage. Pure libs, all of them. They can’t wait to get to the handgun range…

As the need to have a gun, the knowledge of how to shoot, and the realization that it’s pretty fun all spread among the ladies, especially the lib girls, the 2nd Amendment will be quite well protected, indeed.

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:18 AM

MadisonConservative on July 25, 2007 at 11:10 AM

Heh. Anyone recall Biden’s “hair” during his ill-advised replanting phase? You want to talk about scary…?

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:20 AM

I haven’t watched the debate yet but from what I’ve read in the comments here and other places, the youtube questions were mostly lame. Masked wrestlers, snowpeople and such. Let me get this straight. The dhimmi candidates can take a question from a snowman without questioning the character of the author but a citizen asks about his second amendment rights and he is labeled a lunatic? How does one begin to rationalize that?

Guardian on July 25, 2007 at 11:26 AM

Jaibones on July 25

My hair left me, so I’m totally non-partisan on the issue. Truthfully, it was painful to see.

JiangxiDad on July 25, 2007 at 11:26 AM

It would surprise me if Biden ever got electednominated.

Fixed it.

4shoes on July 25, 2007 at 11:27 AM

At least you embraced the baldness, some guys can’t handle it, and its really sad to see them fight the inevitable. I have no idea if I’ll go bald, but if I do, I’ll accept it. No dropping half my budget on Rogaine or some treatment.

Bad Candy on July 25, 2007 at 11:30 AM

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Interesting. I didn’t realize that Jailbones.

Zetterson on July 25, 2007 at 11:30 AM

A few weeks ago Biden was quoted in some article. I emailed his office telling him how great he was and how he ought to run for pres.

JiangxiDad on July 25, 2007 at 11:31 AM

You’re evil.

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Biden was being honest about his feelings. Putting aside his penchant for opening his mouth before engaging his brain, as a potential president candidate who will never get the nomination, he could be.

It probably sunk any chances he had left of being a VP pick by any Dem presidential candidate who wasn’t too stupid to flip off the gun vote, but those are the chances taken by folks three laps behind and their only hope being that everyone else breaks a leg.

Biden’s comment alone won’t damage the Dem’s chances without a clear indication the attitude is widespread. That requires an indication of some critical mass and that mass usually needs refreshing every season. But Biden’s comment is now in this season’s bucket.

The big worry for Dems should be gun owners hitting them with questions phrased in ways that elicit Biden type responses until it does reach critical mass and it is a long way to Nov ’08.

Dusty on July 25, 2007 at 11:33 AM

I sent an email a few minutes ago to the site with a suggestion…

The You Tube debate was a fiasco, but it doesn’t have to be the last word on internet debates…

My suggestion? Post a Moderate/Conservative view question in video format and plaster links to it all over the blogosphere, asking the candidates to respond in either video or audio format…

Not a true debate, but it will give answers as to candidates postitions which are usualy buried somewhere in a political speech…

I think the blogosphere has the power to make this happen… finally…

Thoughts?

Romeo13 on July 25, 2007 at 11:35 AM

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Just doing my duty.

JiangxiDad on July 25, 2007 at 11:35 AM

Thoughts?

Romeo13

Fantastic…if they’ll answer. Remember, its the Rep. party, not the Conserv. party

JiangxiDad on July 25, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Yes, the picked the looniest pro-gun greastioner they could find.

But it did some good despite their efforts.

Even their most pro-gun Dem candidate managed to spaz-out on camera about gun shows.

Mr. “Baby” help all of the Dem-cong attain FAIL with his question.

Kristopher on July 25, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Zetterson on July 25, 2007 at 11:30 AM

(I can’t tell if you’re messing with me, but I’ll act like you’re not.)

I brought home the last target I shot up with a Glock 17. My youngest daughter went nuts, and has demanded that I get her out to shoot. She wants to go trap shooting, too, but I suck and won’t take her until I can hit at least half of them.

Footnote: we shot a few different .22 handguns, which have almost no measurable kick. There were several cops in the range doing required practice or training, and two were firing .45 semiautomatics. After hearing these cannons, and remember how gentle the .22 revolvers were, I am still laughing about Biden’s reaction to this AR15.

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:38 AM

JiangxiDad on July 25, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Actualy I meant it to be a question sent to ALL candidates… Rep, Dem, Green… whoever….

You see, part of the problem is that the PARTIES are controlling the debates… not those of us who have questions we would like answered.

Romeo13 on July 25, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Thoughts?

Romeo13 on July 25, 2007 at 11:35 AM

Real time or live would be best, so they can’t go huddle with their handlers. Tell us what you think…now.

I would also love to see candidates questionned about specific weapons, just to expose the ignorance of what they are legislating. A “teaching moment”, if you will.

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:42 AM

I think Townsend was definetly baiting the respondent. I say respondent because I don’t know if he requested Sen. Biden to answer the question or if Sen. Biden was next in line to answer a question. No, I didn’t watch the debate.
Sen. Biden stepped in it BIG time. The fact that none of the other candidates defended Townsends position says a lot to me about the candidates. I’ve known for many years most democrats don’t respect the constituion and the 2nd amenmdment particularly.

2theright on July 25, 2007 at 11:44 AM

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Ha. No I’m not messing with you. I honestly was unaware. I understand the importance of the second Amendment but was not raised around guns. Perhaps that’s part of the reason why I had the reaction I did to Townshend’s video. The female attraction to the shooting range is something I was not aware of. Very Freudian.

Zetterson on July 25, 2007 at 11:46 AM

Just so you folks know, I am from this area of the world and it happens to be a suburb of Michael Moore’s beloved Flint, Michigan.

Any guesses on how long it’s going to take Moore to “weigh in”?

swami on July 25, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Actualy, I want them to have time to think, so we get back to the Federalist Papers kind of debate, vice the “you said somthing dumb” type of debate…

I want to know what they THINK… its much more important to me than how well they can massage an audience.

Romeo13 on July 25, 2007 at 11:49 AM

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Two very different “.22″ rounds. The AR is chambered for .223 Rem (or 5.56 NATO). The revolvers were most likely .22LR, which is much less powerful.

infidel4life on July 25, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Zetterson on July 25, 2007 at 11:46 AM

I’m in the same boat. I was not raised with guns in the house and only recently took the NRA Pistol Safety course for the first time.

Watching the video again, it does seem Townsend was having a little fun with the Democrats. What I would love to see, though, is Biden’s reaction if the question was asked by a member of the Pink Pistols – a gay gun owning group whose motto is “Armed Gays Don’t Get Bashed.”

Slublog on July 25, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Does anyone find it funny that the party that is constantly crying about government “taking away their civil liberties and rights”, such as the right to communicate with terrorists overseas, the right for terrorists to have attorneys represent them in our courts, etc,; do not shed one tear about taking away the right to own guns? Listening in on communications between terrorists here and abroad is bad, taking guns away from law abiding citizens is good. If this is the ideals of the voters in this country, America is finished!

clawjockey on July 25, 2007 at 12:01 PM

lets see killing really babies abortion always acceptable .
Having a gun makes you mentally unsound.
Thank you Dr Joe for that insight . Time to get rid of that pesky second amendment thing .

Mojack420 on July 25, 2007 at 12:04 PM

Zetterson on July 25, 2007 at 11:46 AM

Not sure what Freud had to do with it. My husband, daughter, son and I like to target shoot. Guys against the girls thing going. I’m from the U.P. Michigan and hunting is the way of life here. The 14 year old daughter of a friend of my brought down a 12 point buck last year. I don’t hunt, knowing me I would try giving it mouth to mouth after I shot it. There is a certain thrill to shooting your own gun, I didn’t realize it until I purchased my own. Freud?

ChrisIansNana on July 25, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Slublog on July 25, 2007 at 11:58 AM

EXACTLY!! That is exactly what I was, very clumsily, attempting to say with my initial comments. My gripe is more a political strategy gripe then anything else. What you said is exactly the alternative I would have preferred to see the Dems respond to.

Zetterson on July 25, 2007 at 12:09 PM

infidel4life on July 25, 2007 at 11:52 AM

I know, too simplistic for someone who knows the details, but I think the general point is still right; it’s just the difference between hitting a target at 50 feet, or 300.

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Zetterson on July 25, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Uh Uh Uh What was the question?
No comment… Doesn’t Silky’s hair look nice.
next question

ChrisIansNana on July 25, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Slublog on July 25, 2007 at 11:58 AM

It has been a great surprise to me. It’s like a sport that they figured out you don’t need to be a guy to do well, and they want to compete. Get the ladies out to the range, guys. They’ll be voting for pro-concealed/carry candidates very quickly.

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 12:13 PM

ChrisIansNana on July 25, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Allright, allright. You are correct but lets not get too nitpicky here. I think we are on the same side when all is said and done. It sounds like you have a wonderful fam ChrisIansNana.

Zetterson on July 25, 2007 at 12:16 PM

What I like about target shooting is that it’s the perfect sport for geeks like me who have about as much athletic ability as a piece of masonry.

Plus, it’s a challenge – forces you to clear your head and concentrate on nothing but breathing, sight alignment and that little black dot a few yards away.

Slublog on July 25, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 12:13 PM

As soon as you hit your first bullseye you’re hooked.

ChrisIansNana on July 25, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Romeo13 on July 25, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Exactly! I never even heard greasy joe’s response because I was groaning at the video they chose. In a conservative setting that would have been fine, but in a liberal anti-gun environment, the guy looked like a nut. There was surly a video that reflects a more appropriate presentation of 2nd amendment concerns.

I suppose they could have used my video. I’ve got 20 some odd guns and my eyes spin around like marbles in a jar when ever I caress them. lol

csdeven on July 25, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Amen. Shooting fun and fringe benefits.

infidel4life on July 25, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Zetterson on July 25, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Sorry that wasn’t at you. That was an answer for Biden after he was addressed by the Pink Pistols.
lol

ChrisIansNana on July 25, 2007 at 12:20 PM

ChrisIansNana on July 25, 2007 at 12:20 PM

Ahh gotcha. Appreciate the clarification as well as the enthusiasm.

Zetterson on July 25, 2007 at 12:28 PM

ChrisIansNana on July 25, 2007 at 12:20 PM

I really would love to see how Biden would have responded. Can’t imagine it would have been much different from the way you anticipated.

Zetterson on July 25, 2007 at 12:29 PM

The plain fact is what a law abiding Mr. Townsend owns isn’t any of Senator Biden’s business or Obama’s or Hillary’s or anyone else’s business either.

The same reason for an armed populace works just as well now as it did 231 years ago.

The larger the Government is the more corrupt it is and Hillary’s or Obama’s or Biden’s government is huge.

Speakup on July 25, 2007 at 12:30 PM

I don’t care what this guy calls his gun, if he talks to it or gives it a name. As long as he doesn’t break the law with it, what’s the big deal? He has a right to have it. Which by the way, is clearly stated in the second amendmant, unlike the mysterious constitutional “right” to abort babies – a practice which has taken way more lives in this country than guns since Roe V Wade.
Biden made his little joke and scored his points, but he never had a chance in this election. This is just Biden’s latest example of being his own worst enemy because of his own mouth. He should put a safety lock on it.

Dork B. on July 25, 2007 at 12:32 PM

I moved from a small town in northern Arkansas to Palm Springs, CA about 7 years ago. I’d lived in Arkansas for twenty years and had accumulated a small collection of guns. (all of which were legal to own in Arkansas) I learned a few years later that I was in violation of CA gun laws (one weapon was a Ruger Mini-14, considered an assault rifle in CA, but is considered an excellent varmint rifle in AR.) Sadly I had to give up the Ruger …hmmm. I did keep all the shotguns and a small caliber hand gun.

I live in a medium priced condominium in a gated community. The unit across from me is rented by a Mexican male in his mid 20’s. Two weeks ago three Hispanic males (heads shaved and tattooed) kicked down his door and rushed into his home. It turned out he wasn’t there. The whole incident took less than 60 seconds.

MY POINT IS: American citizens are told the reason we should not worry about giving up our guns is because we live in a nation where the law and Police protect us.

THAT IS CRAP. Even the Police don’t buy onto that baloney any more. They tell you to get heavy double locks for your doors. (I guess we’re supposed to bar all the windows, but that doesn’t exactly mesh with the covenants inside the gated community). I say “F” the gun laws. Arm yourself and use toilet paper after listening to Joe Biden. The bottom line in America is becoming “Protect yourself and yours, no one else will be there”.

Ernest on July 25, 2007 at 12:35 PM

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:07 AM

It “looks scary”. BFD.

Sorry but you are somewhat mistaken, the AR15 is a .223, big difference between a .223 and a .22 The AR15 is the civilian version of the M16, it fires a .223/5.56 cartridge.

doriangrey on July 25, 2007 at 12:39 PM

PS When the radical Islamics start kicking on Joe Biden’s door he’s gonna hope someone nearbye has a “Baby”.

Ernest on July 25, 2007 at 12:41 PM

infidel4life on July 25, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Doh…beat me to it, so now we see who the pro-2nd poster are eh?

doriangrey on July 25, 2007 at 12:42 PM

Dork B. on July 25, 2007 at 12:32 PM

It’s pretty simple- where the Founding Fathers believed that power belonged in the hands of the people and not the government, Sloe Joe and his ilk (along with some Republicans) believe the opposite.

Armed populace = citizens
Disarmed populace = subjects

Hollowpoint on July 25, 2007 at 12:44 PM

“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” ~ V for Vendetta

DThorn on July 25, 2007 at 12:51 PM

I give you these three quote from none less than Thomas Jefferson.

1) The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

2) “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” (Quoting Cesare Beccaria)

3) The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

Joe Biden is not only a tool, but a man whom Thomas Jefferson would have quoted Samuel Adams to.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

doriangrey on July 25, 2007 at 1:08 PM

For those interested. The .223 round is quite interesting. It is a very fast bullet. In fact the ballistics are very similar to the 30.06 round but of course the bullet has less mass. The Ruger Mini-14 was originally produced as an assault rifle for the Air Force, but was discarded soon after. My guess… for either weight reasons or because the .223 round was dis-allowed by some international (WAR) committee because it was deemed inhumane. (can you believe it?) The round could hit you in the shoulder and com out your butt.

Ernest on July 25, 2007 at 1:24 PM

Did we not learn anything from Va Tech? Gun control only takes guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens (with a few exceptions).
AP, curious as to why the boss’s column doesn’t appear on her website, only the National Review’s.

RMCS_USN on July 25, 2007 at 1:39 PM

In terms of bullet drop they’re similar, but the .223 loses energy faster due to the much lighter bullet.

The Mini-14 is handy at short range being light and compact, but just too inaccurate, especially as the barrel warms up.

Hollowpoint on July 25, 2007 at 2:03 PM

Maybe that’s why the Air Force chucked it years ago.

Ernest on July 25, 2007 at 2:09 PM

The 2d amendment has certainly got more eloquent defenders than people who refer to their guns as “baby.”

I’m an NRA member and the proud owner of two guns myself. This video, unfortunately, plays into the hands of the anti-gun zealots by making gun owners look like odd-balls with a tendency to anthropomorphize their firearms. A much better way to ask this question would simply be to say “What is your position on the 2d amendment to the Constitution?”

morganfrost on July 25, 2007 at 2:12 PM

I love it when we talk guns, I get all warm and fuzzy.

bernzright777 on July 25, 2007 at 2:24 PM

morganfrost on July 25, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Maybe, but by asking it the way he did, he exposed Greasy Joe for what he is. Asking him the question the way you stated would not have prompted such a response. I think this played into this hands more than meets the eye.

RMCS_USN on July 25, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Not ONLY did Biden refer to one of his constituents as mentally ill, he also insinuated that people needed to be protected from that guy.

My step dad (who is EXTREMELY anti gun) would love him.

THAT IS CRAP. Even the Police don’t buy onto that baloney any more.

Yeah, I kinda thought so. Not only are there the rapists and stalkers which harass women, there are the nut jobs for which “stand your ground” laws were invented.

Ryan Gandy on July 25, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Amen Dorian. That man was an absolute genius.

Its too bad we don’t have more people like him today.

Ryan Gandy on July 25, 2007 at 2:53 PM

If his personal safety were threatened, Joe Biden would be the first to scream like a 6th grade girl, kill them, oh God kill them all!

He would then turn right around and have the weapon that saved his life confiscated and when confronted with the hypocrisy, shrug his shoulders and say oh well that’s the/my law.

It’s people like Senator Biden that our highest law of the land was made…to thwart.

His nor anybody else’s good intentions have any place in our Constitution.

Speakup on July 25, 2007 at 3:06 PM

The Democrats are just too damn stupid to avoid the 3rd Rail that is gun control.

Dangle it out there for them to grab, and pontificating tools like Biden will reach for it, touch it, and put it in their mouths to taste it, and in the process prove to America’s 85 million gun owners that Democrats still hate them.

Richardson also alienated gun owners with his avoidance of the question. He’d have scored a lot of points had he just simply said “When I’m President, the Second Amendment will be honored and your rights will be protected.” But no…..

Gun ownership is a core American issue. It cost the Democrats control of Congress in 1994. It is a wedge issue like abortion that goes to deeply held beliefs and emotions. Up until now, since 1996 at least, the Democrats, as a party, have been very, very careful to NOT be widely identified as being against the private ownership of guns. In fact, an number of the 2006 freshman Democrats ran publicly supporting the right to keep and bear arms.

But Biden (and Richardson), and more importantly, the crowd’s reaction to Biden’s slam, blew it for them as far a most gun owners are concerned.

It is possible that we may have witnessed *the* watershed moment that could cost the Democrats control of the government in next year’s election. Gun owners have a very, very long memory.

georgej on July 25, 2007 at 3:28 PM

That Townsend is a creepy SOB, I wouldn’t wanna be around him when he’s wearing a big trench coat. Couldn’t they find a normal-acting gun owner? Why’d they have to pick Dylan Klebold at 40?

The Sinner on July 25, 2007 at 3:47 PM

morganfrost on July 25, 2007 at 2:12 PM

The problem with this is that when asked this question, a Democrat will diverge into a diatribe about how they are a “lifelong hunter” and support people’s “right to hunt.” Of course, that doesn’t answer the question that was asked.

The YouTube guy represents exactly the image of gun owners that is projected by the main stream media. It’s become so nutty that even us gun owners often find great fun in parodying it, but by doing so in a public forum without context, like the YouTube guy did, it simply plays into the media’s agenda: “See how kooky those gun nut conservatives are! He’s just a mass murderer waiting to shoot up a school!” He was trying very hard to look like a kook to be funny, but instead he set himself up to be used as anti-gun propaganda.

However, the context of the question did cause Biden to go into complete “ban-demonium” and tell us what he REALLY thinks of gun owners. That’s a much more informative answer than “I support hunting blah blah blah…”

mojojojo on July 25, 2007 at 3:48 PM

I think it would be a foolish mistake to underestimate the clout of gunowners in the 08 election, which is why I think Mitt Romney would be a bad move, cause he’s put it out there that he’d support a Spooky-Lookin’ Weapons Ban.

Bad Candy on July 25, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Ernest on July 25, 2007 at 12:35 PM

????????

I was checking out a used Mini-14 for sale at my local gun shop less than a week ago, here in Califonia. I know the high capacity mags are a no-no, but not the rifle itself.

infidel4life on July 25, 2007 at 4:43 PM

infidel4life on July 25, 2007 at 4:43 PM

Depends on how many Scary Looking Features it has. A Mini-14 with a standard looking stock is OK, a Mini-14 with a pistol grip stock is banned even though they function exactly the same regardless of what kind of stock they have.

Hollowpoint on July 25, 2007 at 5:26 PM

Hollowpoint on July 25, 2007 at 5:26 PM

This is the model they have:

infidel4life on July 25, 2007 at 5:39 PM

The gun guy was kidding.

Biden chose not to made a good case in a humorous manner, for rational restrictions (mental illness, felony, etc.) on gun purchases.

Instead, he went for the cheap insult, and alienated the three gun owners who were going to think about maybe voting for him.

Taking a tongue-in-cheek remark (“…this is my baby…“) for real, Biden demonstrates his lack of stump savvy.

He would have won a few votes if he had said:

I’d hate to have to burp it.”

(With a little “burp” gun cachet to show he can think on his feet, and knows guns.)

Then ignored the jarring simile of the gun guy, and just addressed the Second Amendment issues rationally, and not knee-jerked for the cheap shot.

Now Joe’s just:

Biden his time till he loses.

profitsbeard on July 25, 2007 at 5:40 PM

morganfrost on July 25, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Exactly,

Part of being a responsible gun owner is that you don’t make videos like this.

Or as an elected official you don’t have a negligent discharge. Nor do you have an aide try to sneak one past security.

Someone needs to seize his guns (and give them to me) so he can no longer make an ass of himself and not do any more damage then he already caused.

F15Mech on July 25, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Exactly right!

Over the past several years I have taught 6 or 7 women how to shoot, none of whom had ever held a gun before. With the exception of one young lady who is now in the army, all were afraid of guns at first, but at least were open minded enough to give it a try.

By the end of the day, without exception, every single one of them had a blast, one went out a bought a small ladies pistol, two others are seriously contemplating purchases, and one wishes she could buy one, but – too bad for her – lives in Europe.

Furthermore, most of them did very well. I have also introduced many guys to shooting, and in general the women are better beginners. We always begin with safety drills and posture, and then start the live fire with .22 rimfire, and in several stages work our way up to 12 ga. shotguns and .44 magnum (using the Desert Eagle).

I think I have helped these woment quite a bit. For me, this is a very rewarding way to spend a day.

So, if anybody needs counceling, it’s the hoplophobic Biden and his gaggle of like-minded clowns.

Herikutsu on July 25, 2007 at 11:32 PM

“Hoplophobic”

Heh.

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:53 PM

F15Mech,

I never fired a weapon until I was 46 years old, and I don’t see anything wrong with that guy in the video. What pisses you off so much about him?

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:55 PM