Uh oh: Fred’s fundraising down “markedly,” says NBC; Update: Fred’s research director resigns — after a week and a half

posted at 1:35 pm on July 25, 2007 by Allahpundit

They’d hoped for $5 million in June. They’ll end up with $3 million for June and July, due in part to voters’ passions cooling as Fred drags his feet on getting in. NBC claims the formal announcement is set tentatively for September 4th in Nashville but can they really wait that long if donations are already down? Probably: it seems the social cons are in love, Mitt’s prodigious fundraising notwithstanding.

That’s not the only scoop from NBC:

Some sources describe the role of the presumed candidate’s wife, Jeri, as vast and powerful. Sources say “she’s integrally involved in every decision” and that Fred Thompson has “set it up so everything goes through her.” Critically, that was cast as “running it like a congressional campaign” and from the “kitchen table.”…

At present, those close to the planning say Jeri is involved in hiring, salaries, schedule, office assignments at the two headquarters, and small details like the color of bumper stickers. Some sources defend her, adding that “it’s easy to say she’s controlling things.” Sources describe that she, like many in Washington, knows many people in politics. They acknowledge Jeri meets with and interviews senior staff candidates and is clearly a key adviser.

I’m not sure how that shakes out vis-a-vis her bogus image as a trophy wife. If they don’t want people knowing how big a role she plays then the trophy wife nonsense is a welcome smokescreen. But … why wouldn’t they want people to know? Does it hurt his image as large and in charge if it looks like his wife is stage-managing him?

Take that as your exit question. Then scroll down to the end of this Carl Cameron piece and see for yourself just how much influence she allegedly has.

Update: “You are not a real conservative, sir!”

Update: See-Dubya attributes the cash falloff to the slowdown in Fred’s radio commentaries, which haven’t had a new entry since July 3rd.

Update: Hmmm.

The day after his would-be campaign manager was replaced, Ex-Sen. Fred Thompson has another senior staff position to refill.

J.T. Mastranadi was hired just a week and a half ago to be the campaign’s director of research. He resigned this morning, a friend of his said. The friend said that Mastranadi was “fed up” with the “lack of structure” and was unclear about his role in the coming campaign.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Gee do you have a crystal ball? Far Right? HUH? Dude I’m just a bourbon drinking bar room brawling hard hat of 25 years in recovery for the last ten years. Yeah my kind. I voted for Ronald Reagan in 1980 and 1984 after his perfect performance as Governor in California. Reducing the welfare rolls while increasing benefits and putting people back to work also putting the state back in the black ink. OH did I mention I own a small business. It’s called being an entrepreneur. So if thats far right then guilty as charged Oh Soothsayer Sir.

sonnyspats1 on July 25, 2007 at 10:02 PM

Nope, no crystal ball. If I did, I would have bet on the Cardinals last year. Do you know the odds on that one? I hate bourbon, evey since an Aerosmith concert in the Garden many moons ago. Rum and tequila, that works.

What ticks me off is people who talk about their love for Reagan, particularly his govrenorship, and then pretend to only talk about part of his record. Reagan, as gov of CA, signed the most expansive abortion law in the history of the state. Abortions rates sky rocketed. That’s just a fact. His son, Ron, is gay and I don’t remember Ron Sr, ever disowning him or saying he didn’t deserve equal rights. Reagan won his first race because people despised Carter, hated the Iranian hostage crisis and 20% mortgage rates, not because they adored the ultra conservative, abortion favoring, Reagan or his gay son. Your people.

Romney has created more real jobs through the private sector than any politician in the race. Real private sector jobs. And oh, did I mention, balanced the budget 4 years in a row without raising taxes as a governor and also was a business owner? And so am I. It’s called being an entrepeneur after taking at least one company public, who knows, maybe more.

I’m not a soothsayer, I just know what I am talking about.

JackStraw on July 25, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Jack,

Sounds like another one that doesn’t deserve your time.

csdeven on July 25, 2007 at 10:14 PM
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 8itch

sonnyspats1 on July 25, 2007 at 10:37 PM

No. The fear is that Fred may win.

Helloyawl on July 25, 2007 at 10:18 PM

Win what? fred? isn’t a candidate for anything.

csdeven on July 25, 2007 at 10:43 PM

JackStraw on July 25, 2007 at 10:28 PM

To be honest abortion or gay rights were never an issue with me. Except now abortion is becoming more national security issue. Forty million abortions later and we need to let a whole other nation fill the needs of labor and such left void of population. The gay rights has gone to the extreme perpetuating itself and creating another fragmented sliver of our society. We need unity now more than ever or this glorious experiment called the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IS GOIN DOWN THE CRAPPER!

sonnyspats1 on July 25, 2007 at 10:50 PM

sonnyspats1 on July 25, 2007 at 10:50 PM

I agree with you on that, are only difference is how to make sure we don’t go down the drain.

Listen, I am pro-business, small gov’t, stong defense. Social issues in my mind aren’t the business of the gov’t. I don’t hate Fred, I just know what he is. Yet another in a long line of DC approved centerist politicians. He is no savior, he has never even run a bar let alone been an executive in a large organization. He litterally has never run anything. His voting record is not conservative. So why should I get behind him? Why should you?

Romney or Rudy, both are far better. Don’t tell me about going down the crapper while getting behind a guy who is going to flush the bowl and tell me I am wrong.

JackStraw on July 25, 2007 at 11:03 PM

No. The fear is that Fred may win.
Helloyawl on July 25, 2007 at 10:18 PM

I don’t fear a Thompson victory. I will admit to growing weary of those who refuse to see that this man, like all men, has feet of clay.

Slublog on July 25, 2007 at 11:05 PM

JackStraw on July 25, 2007 at 11:03 PM

I an here hashing it out in an attempt to gleen some useful information. I want to make an intellegent choice of a candidate,. For me gun control is my social con benchmark. The ecomomics are a strong second. Then I have the globalist factor, not to mention winability. You know like Rudy McRomney. Rudy gave the dems hell yesterday on their home turf in San Fran. What a hoot. He made a gaggle of substantial remarks. For me he would be a natural pick being of Italian decent and all. I have a relative in Tallahassee who travels to DC and is in Rudy’s camp. I want to do the right thing for the country though because whoever I support I will commit time and effort to his campaign.

sonnyspats1 on July 25, 2007 at 11:25 PM

He was just another arm-twisting lobbyists in a sea of amoral, amorphus cause peddlers. He was a Senator who could have been replaced by a computer program designed to vote Republican. He’s said a lot, but he’s never led anything in his life.
BKennedy on July 25, 2007 at 9:25 PM

Heh Heh Hmm now that you mention it he pretty big. Hmm

sonnyspats1 on July 25, 2007 at 11:43 PM

No es bueno.

omnipotent on July 25, 2007 at 11:47 PM

sonnyspats1 on July 25, 2007 at 11:25 PM

I have no quarrel with Rudy. I understand the reaction of those who say his position on guns in NYC was over the top. Maybe. But it’s only fair to understand what NYC was when he took over. It was a shooting gallery with one of the highest murder rates in the country. NYC, litterally one of the most important cities in the world was almost unliveable. For those of us who lived or did business there, it was a scary place.

Rudy did a great job cleanning up the city and removing the gangs and the filth that almost ruined the place after years of Dinkins and Dinkins lite. Guns in a metro area with almost 9 million people on a pretty small island with all the gangs and organized crime, bad stuff and not the same as an area the size of Florida. NYC needed gun control. It wasn;t a matter of self-defense. It was a matter of innocent people getting in the middle of gang wars.

Don’t forget, before he got prostate cancer, Rudy was beating Hillary in NY.

I think we all want the best thing for the country. Rudy and Romney are battle tested as it were and both have performed. They have both fought the good fight in two of the most difficutlt jobs for a Republican. Fred, not so much. It’s easy to drive a red pickup with a gun rack in Republican country.

JackStraw on July 25, 2007 at 11:51 PM

JackStraw on July 25, 2007 at 11:51 PM

I would like to see some gun advocates endorse Rudy. I mean how else can he show his true colors now. He has to be a tough guy to do the kind of job cleaning up the cesspool formerly known as NYC. That place was BAD! Not to mention prosecuting the Mafia crew. That is the kind of tested skill we need now. Those drag queen pics of Rudy are hmm like not Presidential? He could always just say it was his sister.

sonnyspats1 on July 26, 2007 at 12:16 AM

I would like to see some gun advocates endorse Rudy.

sonnyspats1 on July 26, 2007 at 12:16 AM

You won’t. You won’t see many endorde Romney either. Both of them have advocated on behalf of some type of gun control. I know that’s anethema to gun enthusiats but it is reality to mayors and governors of states with large urban areas.

There is a truth, for me anyway, somewhere between the unlimited gun ownership with no restrictions the NRA proposes and the 2nd Amendment just as there are limitations on the 1st Amendment.

Others will differ.

JackStraw on July 26, 2007 at 12:33 AM

JackStraw on July 26, 2007 at 12:33 AM

The states and municipalities all have varying laws concerning guns and all manor of weapons already. The crux of the matter is when the Feds come down with a national regulation code or some other means to override the states. This is one of FT’s strong suits. I think Rudy needs to spend time in a right to carry state really, to get acclimated to the true freedom of the first ammendment. It is a guaranteed right. He has probably been to a gun range. I’m sure he has had exposure to weapons, from the NYPD. He just can’t claim to be a hunter. He should answer in the debate that he used to confront the guy’s who were bona fide killers who carried guns if you want to call that hunting. That would score huge points.

sonnyspats1 on July 26, 2007 at 1:08 AM

One dollar one vote. It’s the American way.

saved on July 26, 2007 at 8:11 AM

With Fred’s appointment of Spencer Abraham as campaign manager expect the downward trend to continue. See Debbie Schlussel’s post for more.

heroyalwhyness on July 26, 2007 at 11:19 AM