Breaking: Huge explosions in Dallas

posted at 11:07 am on July 25, 2007 by Bryan

The explosions occurred at about 9:35 am today. It’s at the convergence of I-35 and I-30, the “mixmaster” if you’re familiar with the area. The ongoing explosions have shut down all traffic. It’s probably not terrorism related, but it’s a huge mess. No word on injuries yet.

Comments

If I were A.Q. I’d take credit for this and every other accident that they have nothing to do with.

Now how about those wires and batteries wrapped in cheese?

Tony737 on July 25, 2007 at 11:10 AM

I question the timing.

Not sure why, I just do. Don’t want to let Kos down.

MadisonConservative on July 25, 2007 at 11:11 AM

It is amazing how threats from terrorist were dismissed for a long time as fear mongering and now the MSM is really pushing them…I’m sure it is a plot.

And the terrorists have changed our nations psyche forever…Terrorism is the first thing that pops into our head after every incident.

tomas on July 25, 2007 at 11:19 AM

I see someone has already questioned the timing…

Damn, that looks nasty! I doubt its terrorism, but I’m sure the terrorist organizations are taking notes.

Bad Candy on July 25, 2007 at 11:21 AM

This has all the fingerprints of a Rovian/Acetylene Industry Conspiracy.

Damn Rove!!!…Damn him to hell!!!

franksalterego on July 25, 2007 at 11:22 AM

The explosions were just west of Reunion Tower, tall round building that is associated with the Dallas skyline. I-30 and I-35 converge at the location and both are shut down.

Sue on July 25, 2007 at 11:22 AM

Drudge has a link to a live feed, and the image of a huge fire in the foreground and scores of canisters in the background is very ominous

Weight of Glory on July 25, 2007 at 11:22 AM

It is also just south of the American Airlines Center, where the Dallas Mavericks and Dallas Stars play.

Sue on July 25, 2007 at 11:24 AM

I can’t confirm this but there’s word going around that no Jewish citizens went to work this morning nor are stuck in traffic.

Developing…

Hoodlumman on July 25, 2007 at 11:25 AM

I have been on the phone with my daughter, directing her around the closed roads. She was heading south on I-35 when the explosions started, around the Mockingbird Lane area (Love Field exit).

Sue on July 25, 2007 at 11:26 AM

http://www.wfaa.com/ has a live feed also.

Sue on July 25, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Wow. The Drudge link to NBC, they were showing the original film when these things started going off, it looked nuts.

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Prayers & well wishes to all the poor souls in that area. We can only hope the best.

Of course….the truther nut roots will spew their cranial diarrhea in 5,4,3,….

locomotivebreath1901 on July 25, 2007 at 11:31 AM

LOVE FIELD? It’s an attack on my beloved Southwest Airlines! Great, now we’re gonna have delays all day. Damn you bin Laden!

The media is STILL going on and on about it, I guess ’cause there’s no more car bombs in Iraq.

Tony737 on July 25, 2007 at 11:33 AM

KO will have a “Special Comment” tonight about how this is all just a set-up by Bush to divert people attention from what ever scandal KO thinks is important right now.

mlong on July 25, 2007 at 11:34 AM

It is in an industrial park area, which will limit the number of people involved. The road closures and air quality are the problems at the moment.

Sue on July 25, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Love Field is not that close to this area. The Mockingbird Lane exit off I-35 is about 3-5 miles north of where it happened. You then go east on Mockingbird Lane several miles to Love Field. SW Airlines is safe. :grin:

Sue on July 25, 2007 at 11:36 AM

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Yeah. Saw that too. It was pretty impressive.

Weight of Glory on July 25, 2007 at 11:36 AM

Link:

KRLD indentified the facility as Southwest Industrial Gasses Inc., 538 S Industrial Blvd.

This seems to be the result of a city having grown outwards and around what was formerly an outlying industrial zone. It seems to be better if a city’s governors can arrange to move dangerous industry outward as the city grows.

Kralizec on July 25, 2007 at 11:37 AM

I know the first thing I thought when they broke in with the alert was the Holy Land Foundation trial. It is in the same area, just back to the east a little ways.

Sue on July 25, 2007 at 11:37 AM

I hesitate to think anything terrorism related when it comes to plants exploding.

I was born in Pasadena, near Houston, and raised there until I moved up to Dallas. It was always a little scary when one went off, but it happened.

Esthier on July 25, 2007 at 11:39 AM

Oh thank God!

Thanks for the update Sue!

Now, Staff, we need a thread on cell phone batteries wrapped in cheese!

Tony737 on July 25, 2007 at 11:39 AM

This is the URL of a Google map of Dallas, with the address (538 South Industrial Blvd., Dallas, TX) marked.

If the long link doesn’t work, you can just go to Google, go to Maps, and use the address to cause Google to reproduce the map.

Kralizec on July 25, 2007 at 11:44 AM

No steel was melted in today’s event. /troother

Hoodlumman on July 25, 2007 at 11:45 AM

Esthier on July 25, 2007 at 11:39 AM

My wife and I moved to Houston from Cape Coral, Fl a year ago; and we have been surprised with how many explosions and gas releases there have been just since we moved here. Something blows up or leaks every other month.

Weight of Glory on July 25, 2007 at 11:46 AM

I wouldn’t have thought terror at all had it not been for the coverage they have had on the trial and the U-Haul truck that was “suspicious” which turned out to be full of furniture. Go figure.

Sue on July 25, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Weight of Glory on July 25, 2007 at 11:46 AM

Welcome to one of the biggest polluters in the US!

It’s my hometown, and I love it, but I’ll only move back there for my family.

Esthier on July 25, 2007 at 11:54 AM

I’m sure this has nothing to do with the terrorism case just starting in Dallas. Or the two Muslim women who were recently arrested for suspicious behavior around Love Field. Or the men arrested for buying thousands of cell phones in Dallas and trying to ship them to Iraq and Afghanistan.

corbettw on July 25, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Esthier on July 25, 2007 at 11:54 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I know Houston has its own problems, just like every other place, but so far we really love it here. We actually live in Spring, TX in the far Northwest area.

Weight of Glory on July 25, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Also two people taken to Parkland Hospital, according to Sue’s link. With Love Field and Parkland Hospital, it’s starting to sound like reports of the JFK assasination. Is Dealey Plaza the next place to be involved? Either those AQ guys have been studying us really well, or that magnificent bastard Rove knows exactly what he’s doing.

Bigfoot on July 25, 2007 at 12:02 PM

CONTROLLED DEMOLITION!!!
BRING HOME THE TROOPS!!!
LESS FILLING!!!
TASTES GREAT!!!

benrand on July 25, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Eye witnesses claim a cruise missile was seen in the area.

csdeven on July 25, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Dealey Plaza is right around the corner from the explosion.

Sue on July 25, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Fred Thompson was supposed to arrive in Love Field today… And WBAP (Dallas radio station) is reporting two people hospitalized from the fire.

ricer1 on July 25, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Fred’s event at Love Field is at 4pm today, so things should be back to normal by then (I trust…).

ricer1 on July 25, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Hank Hill could not be reached for comment.

harrison on July 25, 2007 at 12:15 PM

They are saying that the explosion was around the Houston Street Viaduct, so it is really SW of the Reunion Tower. And Dealey Plaza.

Sue on July 25, 2007 at 12:17 PM

I guess that “gut feeling” Chertoff had was from that top secret meeting he had with the JOOOS that did this!

/democratunderground/KOS/Olberman personna.

SouthernGent on July 25, 2007 at 12:19 PM

This explosion is just another scare tactic from the Bush Administration.

Rosie O. just put out this statement:

“I saw it! It imploded from within! Steel doesn’t melt don’t cha know!”

Hillary:

“Its a Vast Right Wing Conspiracy!”

Osama Obama:

“I’ll go meet with whoever did this and everything will be fine in our little world!”

Silky:

“Another occurance for a bumper sticker from Rove”

jon karry:

“Bush is just trying to SCARE you!”

San Fran Nan:

“I did it for the children!”

Bill:

“I did not have sex….oh, what was the question?”

Oh lord, this could go on all day~

SouthernPride on July 25, 2007 at 12:27 PM

According to an interview on WBAP (local radio station), there was a small problem on the back of trailer that was loaded with acetylene tanks. The small problem got out of hand and the men said “RUN” and run they did. I’m not sure yet who the injured are.

Sue on July 25, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Sue on July 25, 2007 at 11:37 AM

No, first you go to Belt Line then ……………..

Harpoon on July 25, 2007 at 12:31 PM

Bigfoot on July 25, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Of course the 4th floor of Parkland is still closed so they can keep Kennedy alive on a respirator.

Harpoon on July 25, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Sue on July 25, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Sue, are you sure that wasn’t just a “Sam from Sales” take on it?

see-dubya on July 25, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Haven’t read all the comments, so I don’t know what’s been reported.
I live about 10 miles from here, and it started at a place that stores/sells different types of natural gasses. Would you believe, when it started, two guys ran up to the roof of the building to try to put the fire out, and got off the roof just as the first explosions rocked the building.

SuperManGreenLantern on July 25, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Sue on July 25, 2007 at 12:30 PM

As everyone in the chemical-fuel business knows, when acetylene tanks show signs of excessive pressure, leakage, or outgassing, if initial containment efforts fail (i.e., it isn’t just a matter of closing a valve that is leaking or was inadvertently left undogged by someone), your best tools for dealing with the incipient consequences are (1) a good pair of track shoes and (2) at least a fifty-yard head start.

Followed by yanking the nearest fire alarm that’s outside of the area of effect of the very large “bang” you will be hearing in very short order.

Fortunately, it looks (so far) like no one was hurt. Thank God. (I have my fingers crossed that it stays that way.)

cheers

eon

eon on July 25, 2007 at 12:52 PM

see-dubya on July 25, 2007 at 12:45 PM

I wonder what inspirational message “Sam from Sales” will be able to pull from this?

Harpoon on July 25, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Is Sam still on WBAP? If so, it is before 8:00 AM, because I haven’t heard him in a long time.

Actually, 2 people were seriously injured and taken to Parkland. A third is being reported to have been taken to Methodist Hospital.

Sue on July 25, 2007 at 1:58 PM

If a guy working at a welkding supply company says “run”! you don’t stop to ask him “why”?

LOL at the “first you go to Belt Line, then”…

See-Dub, I think Sam from Sales is still on, but I haven’t heard him in a long time. My guess is, his motivational message would be something like “and now, if I could, allow to to share my motivational message with all you.

There once was a welding supply
that blew up right into the sky
Joe asked for a match,
he messed up the catch
and welded his smoke to his fly.

BYYE!

daveintexas on July 25, 2007 at 2:23 PM

I saw a guy wearing a shirt once, went something like
“Bomb Squad
If you can read this as I’m running by
Try to catch up”

SuperManGreenLantern on July 25, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Weight of Glory on July 25, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Spring is nice. The thing I have most against Houston is really just the humidity. It’s nice to have a beach nearby, but it’d be nicer if the water wasn’t brown and if you didn’t feel sticky when walking outside.

But my husband will always be an Astros fan. Go Biggio!

Esthier on July 25, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Miers and Bolten are obviosly behind this…I think we need to bring them in a question them…maybe even hold them for “contempt of democrats”.

right2bright on July 25, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Thanks, Dave in texas, and…

Keep a Tight Line!

see-dubya on July 25, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Hey Bryan that reminds me of our camping days and the great campfire fire experiments!

Drtuddle on July 25, 2007 at 7:45 PM