Audio: Ron Paul shocked to find he’s associated with Trutherism; Update: Truther Paul fan demands Truth from Fred

posted at 3:31 pm on July 25, 2007 by Allahpundit

Does he … not know what Alex Jones’s radio show is about? Does he think it’s some sort of “local interest” program? He makes regular appearances on it; isn’t it about time someone clued the great man in?

Between this and the Korey Rowe “situation,” it’s the darkest day for Truthers since fire melted that steel overpass in Oakland. Lifted wholesale from the SLC boys, for the second time today. We might as well make them guest posters.

Update: Slublog previews Paul’s next op-ed.

Why do All these Truthers Keep Thinking I’m One of Them?

by Ron Paul

Look, I’m not a hateful person or anything—I believe we should all live and let live. But lately, I’ve been having a real problem with these Truthers. You see, just about wherever I go these days, one of them approaches me and starts talking about melted steel and conspiracies.

Take last Sunday, for instance, when I casually struck up a conversation with this guy who was attending one of my rallies. Nothing weird, just a couple of fellas talking about the gold standard and the true meaning of the Constitution. The guy looked like a real conservative, with the proper opinions and fervor for the cause. He didn’t seem the least bit crazy. At least not until he handed me a DVD with the movie “Loose Change” on it.

Where does this guy get the nerve to hand me that video? Did I look Truthery to him? Was I wearing a “Investigate 9/11″ t-shirt without realizing it? I don’t recall the phrase, “9/11 Truth” entering the conversation, and I don’t have a sign around my neck that reads, “Please, You Truthers, Talk to Me About Melting Steel.”

Update: Yet another of the many cranks and crackpots Ron Paul finds himself inexplicably saddled with throws a public tantrum.

Comments

This is no newsflash. This guy is not as whacked out as some would like to portray him to be. I would love to see Allah get the chance to sit down with this guy and chew the fat. Allah might be suprized to find out most of the who-ha surrounding Paul comes from the outside.

saiga on July 25, 2007 at 3:40 PM

This guy doesn’t understand that the Truthers are using him, even though he “reads the internet like crazy”? If he can get pwned by a bunch of stoner college kids, what’s gonna happen when he has to deal with Assad or Ahmed-is-a-nutjob? Let’s just be glad that day will never come!

BigOrangeAxe on July 25, 2007 at 3:41 PM

all ron paul has to do is look at the sites that link to his presidential site. 90% are truther sites. go figure.

lorien1973 on July 25, 2007 at 3:43 PM

The stock prices for aluminum foil makers are sure to plunge.

LB - the one that isn't LaShawn Barber on July 25, 2007 at 3:44 PM

So he doesn’t think the government was behind 9/11.

He just thinks we got what was coming to us, as a result of our foreign policy.

Citizen Duck on July 25, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Apologies to “The Onion”

Why do All these Truthers Keep Thinking I’m One of Them?

by Ron Paul

Slublog on July 25, 2007 at 3:45 PM

saiga on July 25, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Then why doesn’t he understand what Alex Jones’ show is about? And this doesn’t take away from the fact that he said:

We should remember that Iran, like Iraq, is a third-world nation without a significant military. Nothing in history hints that she is likely to invade a neighboring country, let alone do anything to America or Israel. I am concerned, however, that a contrived Gulf of Tonkin- type incident may occur to gain popular support for an attack on Iran.

Right. I mean, it’s not like Iraq ever attacked a neighbor.

amerpundit on July 25, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Ya can’t trust people with 2 first names.

Mazztek on July 25, 2007 at 3:46 PM

And so ends the thousands of “Ron Paul ’08!” comments posted all over YouTube.

Emilie H. on July 25, 2007 at 3:46 PM

If he is genuinely shocked about this, then why did it take this long for him to find out? Doesn’t he have any campaign staffers that could have pointed that out?

mram on July 25, 2007 at 3:46 PM

saiga on July 25, 2007 at 3:40 PM

LOL! I can’t stop laughing. Just a normal guy. Heh!

Gregor on July 25, 2007 at 3:47 PM

He was just trying to show they were chumps. Yeah, that’s the ticket!

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on July 25, 2007 at 3:51 PM

This is as good as Mike Gravel thinking he was on live with Dr. Laura.

Valiant on July 25, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Hilarious, Slublog.

One of them actually did hand him a crazy-wacky DVD; the video of that exchange was posted here or at Ace’s a few weeks back.

see-dubya on July 25, 2007 at 3:56 PM

If he’s genuinely not a truther fan, then he’s just lost his support base. Shame, because then he might actually be an attractive candidate.

MadisonConservative on July 25, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Ron Paul is at his wits end with these “Heartless Truthers”!

kiakjones on July 25, 2007 at 3:59 PM

saiga on July 25, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Fine- so instead of being completely batS*&t insane, he’s only a mentally disturbed fool. I feel so much better about him now.

Hollowpoint on July 25, 2007 at 4:04 PM

I think this means a surge in support for Dennis Kucinich and bottoming out for Paul (he may poll in the negatives now) is in the offing. And by ‘surge’ I mean a couple of hundred nutters switching sides.

Drew on July 25, 2007 at 4:04 PM

He also has never heard of GQ magazine.

Hey, can we nail Giuliani for pandering to racists now? I mean, just to be consistent.

rho on July 25, 2007 at 4:06 PM

OK, enough bashing of Ron Paul trooftastic attraction. Let’s talk about something that’ll get Instapundit stalking him: Ron Paul’s $400 million in earmarks.

Cuffy Meigs on July 25, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Ron Paul on his presumed “Trutherism”: “I read the internet like crazy, and I rarely see it”.

So, he refuses to read anything with his name in it? Or does he just not read conservative sites?

Seriously, what is he reading that he didn’t get the memo here? And is this going to help or hurt his support now that he’s clarified that he in fact is not a truther?

Exit question: seeing as he’s not cleared the margin of error on any poll so far, could anything hurt his campaign?

(sorry Allah, but you didn’t add an exit question, so I thought I’d pitch one of my own)

gekkobear on July 25, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Is handing out DVDs part of the truther religion? Kind of like the Jehovah’s Witnesses handing out pamphlets, because I know this Doctor that gave me about 5 DVDs. I even told him I was going to throw them away, He still insisted I take them. He had a huge bag of them, WTF?

abinitioadinfinitum on July 25, 2007 at 4:17 PM

I think we have a new independent candidacy:

Paul and Gravel, ’08!

Jaibones on July 25, 2007 at 4:17 PM

rho on July 25, 2007 at 4:06 PM

There’s a bit of difference between making a campaign speech in front of a group that includes a couple people with vaguely racist signs and actually making racist statements, as has Ron Paul.

Just go back to prisonplanet with the rest of the Ron Paul cultists why don’t ya.

Hollowpoint on July 25, 2007 at 4:28 PM

gekkobear on July 25, 2007 at 4:12 PM

He’S nOt reLly beHinD, thE Jooos, FrEemaSons aNd NeW WorLd OrdEr aRe riGgiNg thE pOllS!!!11!!1!!

Hollowpoint on July 25, 2007 at 4:34 PM

I see the next sequel to Clueless in Congress.

Just think of the movie Johnny Dangerously where his last name was an adjective and he was a fargin icehole.

Kini on July 25, 2007 at 4:36 PM

thE Jooos…
Hollowpoint on July 25, 2007 at 4:34 PM

Don’t you mean “the powerful banking interests?”

Slublog on July 25, 2007 at 4:38 PM

My concern with Iran is not their military prowess, because they have none. Lets face it, they are kooks, and that scares me because if they don’t blow themselves up with a bomb, they will probably sell one or give one to other kooks. Even if we occupied their country, their would still be kooks there representing a threat. I dont see them swarming over anybody like the Red army. They just are not that organized in their actions or thinking.

saiga on July 25, 2007 at 4:39 PM

I went to the Fred Thompson rally in Houston today.
There was this screamin’ freaky banshee there. They had to haul her out. There was a guy with her that had a Ron Paul t-shirt on. I said to the reporters that she was a Ron Paul goon. Then she piped up I not w/ Ron Paul. ( LIE)
She was parked, two spots over from me. I watched her drive away in her car with Ron Paul stickers.
God what a nut job!

TheSitRep on July 25, 2007 at 4:42 PM

Don’t you mean “the powerful banking interests?”

Slublog on July 25, 2007 at 4:38 PM

I was going to say “New York Money Men”, but I’m sure he wouldn’t wan’t to leave out the Jewish women- they’re out to get him too.

Hollowpoint on July 25, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Mazztek-

You can;t trust people with two first names.

As someone with two first name, I have to disagree.

But, then, both of mine have two syllables.

Maybe it’s the one syllable guys you gotta watch out for?

Like Pol Pot. Another isolationist nationalist.

profitsbeard on July 25, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Don’t you mean “the powerful banking interests?”

Whoever made the observation that the fringes of the Left and Right tend to wrap around each other ideologically is right on target. Both sides have been blaming the Jews for all their problems.

Ryan Gandy on July 25, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Hollowpoint on July 25, 2007 at 4:48 PM

I always laugh when running jokes from Ace’s spill over into other sites.

Bad Candy on July 25, 2007 at 5:04 PM

Loons of a feather …

DannoJyd on July 25, 2007 at 5:04 PM

I will forgive Paul when he appologizes for saying that the US deserved 911 as blowback.

William Amos on July 25, 2007 at 5:07 PM

Ron Paul is a sincere old man. A little befuddled maybe, but sincere. If he were just uncle Ronny at a family picnic, I would treat him with respect. Ron Paul’s only problem is that he’s running for President. Really, he is.

Ron Paul campaign message is that he believes that the U.S. was attacked on 9-11-01 because of our foreign policy. He believes that so sincerely that it’s hard for him to accept that his message could have been so misunderstood.

It’s hard to be heard when you’re just part of the herd. Ron Paul is at the back of the pack, and that’s just the way I like it.

TunaTalon on July 25, 2007 at 5:18 PM

Well, there goes his base!

ToddonCapeCod on July 25, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Wow, that was interesting… I can’t wait to see how his base (which basically consists of nothing but Truthers) handles this. He’s only in existence because of his association with Truthers. We have hundreds of idiots on YouTube and all over the internet posting their drive-by “Ron Paul 2008!” “The only candidate who can save Democracy”, etc. comments, but their motivation is based entirely on him being the legitimizer of their idiocy.

I suspect he’s hoping most of them won’t hear about this, and when they confront him he’s basically say “I still love ya baby, but I gotta play the game!”

Or, perhaps he’s just pulling a Keith Ellison… Remember last week Keith confessed to being a Truther, but said he won’t say it because he didn’t want to be dismissed as a kook, but that seemed to be his only reason for not going full Truther on us:

The fact is that I’m not saying [Sept. 11] was a [U.S.] plan, or anything like that because, you know, that’s how they put you in the nut-ball box — dismiss you.

Again, his reason not to go Truther or his “because”, is so that he’s not dismissed or put in a nut-ball box… not because he’s not a Truther deep down. He seems to be assuring us that he his.

Perhaps this is Ron Paul’s game. He doesn’t want to be in the nut-ball box either, but deep down he’s Truther all the way.

RightWinged on July 25, 2007 at 5:36 PM

It ain’t rocket science. Paul is against a foreign policy that has resulted in intervention. Truthers are against a foreign policy that has resulted in intervention. He may have the right idea, but could he pull it off? If he can’t shake the nut jobs off his back? Pat Buchanan had a ringside seat to the Reagan revolution. He has written on the excess of empire for years, how we have overextended ourselves, and can’t take care of business here at home (things like, you know, secure borders and all). If a Truther came near Pat, he’d give him a good going over.

I think that’s where we find Paul lacking.

manwithblackhat on July 25, 2007 at 5:50 PM

Yep, Ron Paul just alienated his base. Wake up Ron and smell the coffee. If you walk like a duck and quack like a duck in all likelihood you are a duck. Even if you look around and everyone with you is walking like a duck and quacking you’re still likely a duck. Sad really, I was hoping a non truther, non legalize meth libertarian would step forward to at least moderate the globalists that dominate politics today.

I find myself growing more isolationist every day.

Buzzy on July 25, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Typical politician. I will give him credit that it only took three paragraphs to say he only has half of his head stuck in the sand.

Helloyawl on July 25, 2007 at 6:16 PM

saiga on July 25, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Fish.

Barrel.

Shoot.

thirteen28 on July 25, 2007 at 6:33 PM

I’m sure he’s been all over the internet and never seen any evidence that he’s associated with the troofers. Easy enough to do when you block the phrase “Ron Paul” on whatever search engine you’re using.

Kowboy on July 25, 2007 at 6:50 PM

I’m glad he came out and said that. Whether he was pandering or not or whatever, whatever, whatever… I’m glad he denied it. Helps takes the wind out of the sails of the truthers.

Spirit of 1776 on July 25, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Newsmax interview with Michael Scheuer this week(former head of CIA Bin Laden unit, author of Imperial Hubris)

Starts off slow, but read the whole thing

Medicated on July 25, 2007 at 7:15 PM

If you walk like a duck and quack like a duck in all likelihood you are a duck.

Ron Paul is not a duck, but he does play one on TV (and in Congress).

Barry Kearns on July 25, 2007 at 7:16 PM

But I remember a video clip of Paul saying he’d investigate the WTC 7 to someone at a house party for him not long ago. That’s where this all came from I presume.

RE Fred clip: What is Dick Morris’ problem? He also blasted Thompson on H & C. And also the cops handled that truther the way a truther understands. Boy did she screeeeeeeeeech

PowWow on July 25, 2007 at 8:20 PM

I don’t know why these raging liberals like Paul. He stands for nothing they want. He’s as close to libertarian as you can come with this lot and liberals just love him. I don’t get it.

bentman78 on July 26, 2007 at 7:26 AM

Black helicopters are coming to take him away…hee hee…ha ha…ho ho.

saved on July 26, 2007 at 8:03 AM

Ron Paul-Ward Churchill ticket slogan

“Making Jerry Brown and Ralph Nadar appear normal.”

saved on July 26, 2007 at 8:24 AM

Another thing that might be steering the truthers towards Ron Paul is the fact that we’ve all heard him suggest that a future attack on U.S. soil might be orchestrated to rally continued support for the war.

Joshua P. Allem on July 26, 2007 at 8:59 AM

Joshua P. Allem on July 26, 2007 at 8:59 AM

That by itself oughta bring them out of the woodwork.

manwithblackhat on July 26, 2007 at 11:58 AM

saved on July 26, 2007 at 8:03 AM

Hey, fellow Dementian. ;-)

Ron Paul certainly prefers to distance himself from the “insider politics” of today, but suggesting a potential future wag-the-dog event distances him from all reasonable Americans.

I don’t think even Hillary would consider orchestrating (or allowing) an attack on U.S. soil in order to boost her ratings. That she is completely in favor of every form of killing unborn babies is a totally separate issue, and she is most certainly guilty of that.

Freelancer on July 26, 2007 at 5:24 PM