Wash Times: “John Doe” making a comeback — thanks to bloggers?

posted at 5:49 pm on July 23, 2007 by Allahpundit

Eh, I’ll never believe we influence legislators, but we do influence talk radio and they influence legislators and that’s almost as good. Force multipliers, baby:

“Democrats have been backed into a corner by public outrage over their efforts, so we are seeing these Democrats publicly say they support it in principle, but behind the scenes they are working to kill it,” said one Republican leadership aide close to the conference process…

Some Republican aides are attributing the mounting pressure to support the provision to press reports and the blogosphere, where bloggers turned bloggyists are posting phone numbers of Democrat congressional leaders and urging readers to call in with their support.

“The blogs have been a terrific vehicle for expressing public outrage over Democratic attempts to kill this provision,” said a spokesman for [Peter] King.

Some people predicted a killer backlash long ago if this abortion ever looked like it was going to pass. Ahem.

Bennie Thompson wants to rewrite the provision so that immunity won’t cover cases that involve racial profiling, but that’s already basically the state of the law as is and it’s self-defeating in that it’ll discourage people from reporting incidents in cases where they’re not sure where the line between proper suspicion and profiling lies. Remember this? That’s the whole issue in nine words.

The boss has contact information for Reid and Pelosi but I think these more relevant:

Limbaugh: rush@eibnet.com
Hannity: e-mail interface
Ingraham: e-mail interface

Comments

I don’t know what the big deal is. If you call the stewardness and tell her you don’t like the guy across the aisle because he’s reading a koran, she’s not going to act on it without more.

Blake on July 23, 2007 at 5:58 PM

Well see. By the time Pelosi and Reid are through with it, it will be a Bill Regarding Islamic Privileges.

pat on July 23, 2007 at 6:01 PM

Eh, I’ll never believe we influence legislators…

‘Scuse me !? – Every Dem Prez candidate will be at Yearly Kos. But one of the main things blogs do is prevent both the MSM and politicians from being able to quickly bury issues they want to go away. And I think the left is far more worried about that than the right.

eeyore on July 23, 2007 at 6:09 PM

“bloggyists”…I love it. Webster’s needs to make it official.

jediwebdude on July 23, 2007 at 6:11 PM

Here’s a John Doe concept. When reporting suspicious activity, use the name “John Doe” from now on.

The Race Card on July 23, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Don’t sell those of us, both active bloggers and blog readers, who are heavy contributors short. They are legion, more so than talk radio.

steveegg on July 23, 2007 at 6:20 PM

hey this is so unfair to cair , i mean the terrorist have civil rights too.

Mojack420 on July 23, 2007 at 6:25 PM

AP, I understand that you are modest about the effects of Blogging, but I think you and Bryan underestimate your own importance.

You are right, though, in that the sum of all parts is a force to be reckoned with.

PBoilermaker on July 23, 2007 at 6:31 PM

Meanwhile, the Dhimmicrats look to expand the Fairness Doctrine to blogs…

bloviator on July 23, 2007 at 6:33 PM

Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Cowtow to Arab-Islamic Rhetoric (CAIR), told the Minneapolis Star Tribune this weekend his organization supports the imams’ lawsuit, but they have “no particular problem” with immunity legislation.

“Our concern has never been with reports made in good faith by ordinary people,” Mr. Hooper said. “Our concern is with malicious reports based on bigoted views or which are just meant to harass people based on their ethnicity.”

Why don’t I believe him?

peski on July 23, 2007 at 6:38 PM

Another “wave of hate” is cresting in America!

SouthernGent on July 23, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Why don’t I believe him?

peski on July 23, 2007 at 6:38 PM

Because he’s a liar.

BadgerHawk on July 23, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Our concern is with malicious terroism based on Islamic fundamentalism which is just meant to kill people based on their beliefs.

Hope we’re not bothering anyone.

TexasDan on July 23, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Another “wave of hate” is cresting in America!

SouthernGent on July 23, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Yep, what is poor Teddy K going to do? And what about Dingy Harry? Does Tommy have a friend who likes to hang around airport baggage carts who is going to descriminated against?

WisCon on July 23, 2007 at 7:27 PM

A little OT

Meanwhile, the Dhimmicrats look to expand the Fairness Doctrine to blogs…

bloviator on July 23, 2007 at 6:33 PM

What would be the dhimmi answer to the Military channel?? hmmmm…just a thought

lsutiger on July 23, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Thank God for bloggers.

But watch for the inevitable whitewash blowback from the msm. Like this -

NEWSWEEK

We’re Muslim. . .& American They’re affluent & patriotic so why do these US citizens feel so vulnerable? -plus: What it’s like to wear a hijab in the US

Islam in America
Islam in America: A Special Report
The Ideals We Share
What It’s Like to Wear the Hijab in the U.S.
On Faith: Muslims Speak Out on Violence, Human Rights, Religion
Photo Gallery: Portraits of a Community
Video: The American Muslim
Graphic: Islam in America
Muslims and Soccer: A High School Controversy
Poll: Americans Are Mixed on U.S. Muslims
Slam Dancing for Allah
Live Talk: Islam in America

heroyalwhyness on July 23, 2007 at 7:40 PM

People who are afraid to report a crime because of the fear of being sued.
People who are afraid to get involved when a crime is committed because of the fear of being sued.

Sounds like a totalitarian state or a the least secular progressiveness.

I believe those against immigration reform view it as hate mongering are misguided. It’s not an race issue, it never was. That’s just an excuse to deflect the real problem.
It’s a national security issue, but the argument is positioned as racist if you even take a position on reform.

Kini on July 23, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Report any suspicious behavior.

Especially if it by one -or more- of your Representatives.

profitsbeard on July 23, 2007 at 8:05 PM

I think the Founding Fathers would be very proud of the Bloggers who stand up to the power drunk Socialist-Donks.

Tony737 on July 23, 2007 at 8:28 PM

“Bloggyist” is a cleverly coined word, and it’s complimentary to those who participated in finding and posting names and contact information for some of the relevant members of Congress. Still, all that anyone has done in this matter is freely exercise his rights to assemble, speak, listen, write, read, and “to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” When someone tries to tag a blogger or reader as a lobbyist, it seems best to deny any distinction between oneself and other Americans. You’ve freely exercised your natural, Constitutionally protected rights, and whoever may try to burden your free exercise isn’t any longer an American, even if he’s “Senator McCain.”

Kralizec on July 23, 2007 at 8:31 PM

Bloggyist Allahpundit!

Like the new title dude?

Perhaps a bloggyist is entitled to an I-phone

conservnut on July 23, 2007 at 8:34 PM

Tony737 on July 23, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Tony, I think one of the lessons the Americans learn over and over is that the threats to their liberties and to good order come from members of all parties. Those partisans aren’t “drunk”; they often seem to be soberly calculative, and that’s why they’re dangerous. And whatever the truth may be in any given case, they don’t often think of themselves as “socialists,” “donkeys,” or anything else despicable. They’re aware of themselves as the good and the just; they think their goodness and justice give them a superior right to keep others in line. Are you aware of yourself as good and just, Tony? If so, strangely enough, that can make you a little dangerous.

Kralizec on July 23, 2007 at 8:51 PM

I recommend anyone in a district represented by the 105 Democrats sane enough to vote for immunity for citizen who report threats to call those Congressmen. Demand that the Congressman confront the Democratic leadership on this issue. I suspect that a few Democratic congressmen will tell Pelosi how insane the leadership is being on this issue. At the very least, we could accomplish making Pelosi feel uncomfortable–as she should feel.

Here’s the roll call if you wish to check how your congressman voted.

thuja on July 23, 2007 at 9:07 PM

I can hear it now. “I’m John Doe, and I’m a bloggyist.”

Bigfoot on July 23, 2007 at 9:22 PM

I have a John Doe Photoshop Entry located :

Enjoy
Bucktowndusty

bucktowndusty on July 23, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Kralizec on July 23, 2007 at 8:51 PM
You are so right, that is why I do not see any candidate out there that I really want to support as President for 2008. It is going to be the same as the last two races, we just go with the less of two evils. What a bummer !

SIJ6141 on July 23, 2007 at 9:34 PM

Not less “least” !.

SIJ6141 on July 23, 2007 at 9:39 PM

The grass roots Crime Watch organization has been working with law enforcement for many years. They hold meetings and elect a block captain. None of the members are required to have law enforcement credentials. If a perpetrator is exhibiting suspicious behaviour then a call is made to 911 regardless of race. The Gardian Angels is another group of citizens who are active in preventing crime. Many County Sheriffs provide marked patrol cars deemed citizen observers to volunteers here in Florida. The Democrat reaction to the John Doe ammendment is an earmark to the ACLU and lawyers lobby. The left can only earn a living within the bureaucracy of big government. I remember George W. Bush in 2000 wanting to pursue serious Tort reform, to end frivolous lawsuits.

sonnyspats1 on July 23, 2007 at 9:48 PM

People who are afraid to report a crime because of the fear of being sued.
Kini

Sounds like the US Government allows advocacy groups to practice their own brand of vigilantism in the courts.

Because our Government farms out enforcement of civil rights offenses we get such wonderful organizations as the ACLU, the Trial Lawyers Association and on and on.

The result is a symbiotic codependency mainly between liberals and a plethora of “civil rights groups” the combination of which has been sucking our blood for decades.

The liberals guarantee our tax money and beating back legislation like John Doe for ‘the groups’ and ‘the groups’ support the campaigns of liberals.

Put civil rights enforcement back exclusively into the DOJ where it belongs and the 9.6 trillion dollar national debt would probably evaporate.

Speakup on July 23, 2007 at 9:48 PM

Actually, this legislation means nothing to me, personally.

If I see ANYTHING suspicious, I’ll report it. I’m not afraid of any law suits.

Further…

If I see some Allah-shouting pig trying to block the isle in an airplane, I’ll not only report it, I’ll get up and knock his block off. And I’m a big guy.

If I see some “Death to America” singing Muslims taking over a toilet on an aircraft, I’ll organize a ‘party’ to bust their heads when they come out. They’ll finish the ride to custody with most of the passengers taking turns sitting on them.

If I see some “seat-belt-extender-swinging” Islamofascist, trying to control or gain access to the cockpit, I’ll be the first in line to charge him, regardless of the cost.

And I don’t give a damn if they sue me afterwards. My wife is an attorney and I’ll countersue the bast*rds for intentional infliction of emotional distress and assault.

But I understand why this legislation must be passed. It is necessary, if only to put the cabosh on the “dry run” the Imans were attempting.

georgej on July 23, 2007 at 9:51 PM

Because he’s a liar.

BadgerHawk on July 23, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Yeah, but he manages to make a living at it. How many can say that? Ok, sure, that Iraqi “US soldiers? What US soldiers?” guy. But that was a pretty short gig. Hooper’s the Taosich of taquiya, pulling down the G’s, bagging the babes in bags. He doesn’t just lie, he’s the Grand Liemaster. Give the guy some credit.

Splunge on July 23, 2007 at 9:54 PM

Another “wave of hate” is cresting in America!

SouthernGent on July 23, 2007 at 6:58 PM

LOL! Be afraid, defeatocrats, be very afraid.

infidel4life on July 23, 2007 at 11:01 PM

And exactly who will police this, Mr Hooper? This is just silly, liberal, PC crap! So, even though terrorists are commonly of middle-eastern origin, I shouldn’t assume one shouting the name of Allah while strapping on a bomb belt is necessarily a terrorist. I know – a slight exaggeration, but only slightly.

thedecider on July 23, 2007 at 11:21 PM

Hooper has made it exceedingly clear that he wishes to institute a religious dictatorship in America, Sharia. He is a fanatic.

pat on July 24, 2007 at 1:54 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Eh-hem, oh. You were serious, Mr. Hoopah?

Miss_Anthrope on July 24, 2007 at 9:07 AM

Allahpundit

Eh, I’ll never believe we influence legislators,

OK AP I guess that gust means I will have to take credit for your hard work…Well somebody had to do it..

doriangrey on July 24, 2007 at 11:11 AM