Open thread: The CNN YouTube freak show debate; Update: Private jet show of hands video added; Update: Biden tells gun owner he “needs help”; Update: I’ll meet with Castro, Chavez, Ahmadinejad, says Obama

posted at 6:36 pm on July 23, 2007 by Allahpundit

7 p.m. ET. God help me, this one might actually be worth watching. So relentlessly and absurdly have they been hyping it that CBS’s Public Eye blogger had to resort to a Buckwheat analogy to explain it. Behold the cherry on top of the doofus sundae.

Given the inevitable leftwards tilt to the questions and her rock solid status as frontrunner, Hillary may be in for a rough night. Speaking of which, have a look at this post by Kos and consider the possibility that she’ll be attending Yearly Kos while skipping the upcoming annual DLC “national conversation.” Why is that significant? Because not only is the DLC the flagship centrist Democratic nonprofit group, not only did Kos vow last year to destroy it, but it’s been a key supporter of the Clintons dating back to Billy Jeff’s presidency — to the point where the Glacier herself is the current chair of the group’s Dream Initiative. She attended the “national conversation” in 2005 and 2006 and gave the keynote address in 2002 but as of this writing she’s still not listed as one of the speakers next week. If she skips it to please the nutroots it’ll be a total capitulation, a de facto admission that the hard left and not the center owns the party now. And I know a special lady whom I’ll be reminding of that fact at every opportunity.

Anyway. No “John Doe” rules here: if you’re watching and you see something that merits clipping, say something by sending us an e-mail. I leave you with Lonewacko‘s fearless predictions. Play along at home.

Q: How many video questions will feature people wearing masks? (My answer: 3)

Q: How many will feature either a puppet, a muppet, an animated character, or similar? (My answer: 1)

Q: What are the chances that my entry will be shown? (My answer: 1/infinity)

Q: How many questions will not be greeted with a sigh of relief by the candidates, as they go on to say “Good question!” followed by their standard stump speech? (My answer: none).

Update: They actually ran this crap.

Update: That’s a whole lotta hands.

Update: Greasy Joe shows his appreciation for the Second Amendment.

Update: Here’s a little something else for those “Republicans for Obama” to snack on. World Apology Tour ’08, baby.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

Kucinich is THE MACK.

Dork B. on July 23, 2007 at 9:07 PM

OH SNAP

I like his wife too!!

unamused on July 23, 2007 at 9:07 PM

At least Biden called a spade a spade…

John from OPFOR on July 23, 2007 at 9:07 PM

I don’t think it would be possible to find anyone to the left of (Kucinich) Priceless!

ctmom on July 23, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Good line Anderson!

infidel4life on July 23, 2007 at 9:07 PM

this poor crowd is clueless. Not a one of them have any idea that Obama is employing taqiyya.

CrimsonFisted on July 23, 2007 at 9:08 PM

Clearly, the only people more clueless than the candidates are the MSM people broadcasting this thing.

CyberCipher on July 23, 2007 at 9:08 PM

Worst debate ever? Kind of hard after that pander fest at Howard a few weeks ago.

Drew on July 23, 2007 at 9:08 PM

Well, that was worse than a root canal.

synycalwon on July 23, 2007 at 9:08 PM

Well, that was a tough watch. I hope that’s the worst of them.

Spirit of 1776 on July 23, 2007 at 9:09 PM

John(OPFOR)good to see you on the USS HOT AIR
and taking time from your own blog.
Hello from up north.

canopfor on July 23, 2007 at 9:09 PM

I took the train! For 50 bucks!

lol

BadgerHawk on July 23, 2007 at 9:09 PM

I understand that an extreme makeover is less painful.

CyberCipher on July 23, 2007 at 9:10 PM

hahahahahahaha they want Obama! Good! Fred! will chew him up and spit him out before breakfast.

CrimsonFisted on July 23, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Oh God.

The “voters” want a Hillary/Obama ticket. Only thing is, they want Hillary as #2 on the ticket!!

LOL – this is surreal.

BacaDog on July 23, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Why do I feel dumber for watching that?

synycalwon on July 23, 2007 at 9:11 PM

ha hey thanks Can…

what can I say? Hot Air rocks…

John from OPFOR on July 23, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Hillary’s ass really is enormous. It’s own zip code enormous.

And what’s up with the pants and some jacket crap? I think men should now be free to wear boxers and a wife beater t-shirt.

JackStraw on July 23, 2007 at 9:13 PM

I knew the minute ParisAnderson asked that question about the private jets that someone wouldn’t raise their hand because “it was yesterday, not tonight.” (Thank you Bill Clinton)

I did like Anderson’s “You’re not sure?”

If any one of these guys (or gal) wins the Presidency…my G-d!

Jim-Rose on July 23, 2007 at 9:13 PM

At least on the second half (since I tuned in late) Obammy won on personality; Hillary won on SEEMING to be the most reality-based, SEEMING to be the wisest….

But I base that on being a fairly rational person. I don’t think your typical Democrat would think that Hillary did well… Because she mostly didn’t sound like a raging moonbat.

LegendHasIt on July 23, 2007 at 9:14 PM

lets see it was on cnn and the only good thing on cnn is Lou Dobbs so why in the heck would I want to watch this moonbat love fest , If I want to see a bunch of knee jerk liberal nut jobs I can open my window {I live in the peoples republic of san Francisco }
I was more then happy to miss it to catch a glimpse and be enlightened by the intellect and stunning beauty of Michelle. Oh and Kristen isn’t too bad either {for a democrat}

Mojack420 on July 23, 2007 at 9:15 PM

if that debate doesn’t help republican fundraising, nothing will. of course, that door is closed until they build the fence. are you listening yet?

TexasDan on July 23, 2007 at 9:19 PM

Oh, good lord . . . if that represents the best this country has to offer then we’re in very serious trouble.

rplat on July 23, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Just heard how Wolf,said that on gay marriage
Edwards was TORTURED on his responce.
Gotta love the lib’s meaning of the word TORTURED.

canopfor on July 23, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Edwards’ video poked fun at the attention paid to his pricey haircuts at the expense of more serious issues. Set to the theme from the 1968 musical “Hair,” the video opens with several closeup of hairdos, giving way to less frivolous images including several from Iraq. It ends with a white-on-black slide: “What really matters? You Choose”

From the AP news. Someone tell me if this is true ?

William Amos on July 23, 2007 at 9:22 PM

If any one of these guys (or gal) wins the Presidency…my G-d!

Jim-Rose on July 23, 2007 at 9:13 PM

There weren’t any women on that stage. Not unless you count the one transgender.

Gregor on July 23, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Oh darn, there was a Dem debate on tonight?

Did I miss anything?

Heh.

fogw on July 23, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Dick Morris just mentioned something interesting:

The words TERROR or TERRORISM were never mentioned at all during the debate.

LegendHasIt on July 23, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Gregor on July 23, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Now that isn’t fair. Quit picking on Edwards.

LegendHasIt on July 23, 2007 at 9:25 PM

The words TERROR or TERRORISM were never mentioned at all during the debate.

LegendHasIt on July 23, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Or immigration. There wasn’t last time either and that was the night of the final cloture vote. It was in all the papers and everything.

Drew on July 23, 2007 at 9:28 PM

So what was the answer to whether healthcare would be provided to “undocumented workers?” Dodd used it as an opportunity to make a speech about healthcare in general because he didn’t get a chance to chime in earlier, and then Richardson said he’d provide healthcare to “all Americans,” which doesn’t really answer the question. As far as I could tell that was as close to the immigration issue as they got the whole time.

Dudley Smith on July 23, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Hard to believe that cnn had the cajones to ask that private jet question. Surely, the DUmmies and Kos Kids Konglomerate are calling CNN a dupe of the Right Wing Conspiracy at this moment.

William Teach on July 23, 2007 at 9:30 PM

2 words shark sandwich

F15Mech on July 23, 2007 at 9:30 PM

Have my own poll up

Who won tonights debate ?

William Amos on July 23, 2007 at 9:32 PM

The words TERROR or TERRORISM were never mentioned at all during the debate.

LegendHasIt on July 23, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Drew on July 23, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Remember, “climate change” trumps all! The planet’s got a fever!

synycalwon on July 23, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Did you notice that on some of the major questions that are divisive, Hillary! didn’t get put on the spot. Not on reparations, health care for illegals or gay marriage.

For all the talk about how this is ‘the people’s debate’ CNN managed to protect people when they wanted.

Drew on July 23, 2007 at 9:35 PM

The planet’s got a fever!

…and the only prescription is, More Cowbell!

SilverStar830 on July 23, 2007 at 9:38 PM

Results for poll are

here

William Amos on July 23, 2007 at 9:39 PM

That was one pathetic debate format…whew!

canvas on July 23, 2007 at 9:41 PM

Nice hit job – CNN invites youtubers to participate in the debate questioning, but only drooling fools are chosen for the show.

T J Green on July 23, 2007 at 9:42 PM

Remember,”climate change”trumps all!The planet’s got a fever!
synycalwon on July 23 2007 at 9:33PM.

Ya needs more COW BELL.

canopfor on July 23, 2007 at 9:44 PM

America’s Funniest Home Leftards

Dork B. on July 23, 2007 at 9:46 PM

Private jet show of hands video added;

Update: Biden tells gun owner he “needs help”;

Update: I’ll meet with Castro, Chavez, Ahmadinejad, says Obama

Good God.

treyevans on July 23, 2007 at 9:46 PM

If we’re not talking to North Korea, why did they shut down their nuclear reactor?

JohnJ on July 23, 2007 at 9:50 PM

Stay classy Joe! Stay classy.

madne0 on July 23, 2007 at 9:51 PM

I want reparations for the time I wasted watching this totally predictable craptocracy.

The Race Card on July 23, 2007 at 9:57 PM

….Richardson said he’d provide healthcare to “all Americans,” which doesn’t really answer the question….
Dudley Smith on July 23, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Actually Richardson DID say that he would provide free healthcare to illegal aliens.

You gotta have special training to be able to interpret his mumbles and obfuscations (and unfortunately I do have that training), so no blame toyou for missing his actual response.

LegendHasIt on July 23, 2007 at 10:05 PM

So, where is that circus headed to next? Havana? Paris? Mexico City?

Zorro on July 23, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Sure I support the 2nd amendment and all, but that guy w/ the assault weapon sure seems likely to have a big trench coat in his closet, if not a couple of heads in his freezer.

The Sinner on July 23, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Did someone say more cowbell?

synycalwon on July 23, 2007 at 10:16 PM

“If you could be on Law and Order like Fred Thompson, would you be a lawyer? A policemen? Or a rapist?” via NRO: [Kathryn Jean Lopez]

Another redneck guys question, perhaps for the GOP debate

bnelson44 on July 23, 2007 at 10:19 PM

This question is for all candidates:

“What is your favorite toothpaste, and would you use it if it was made in China?”

SouthernGent on July 23, 2007 at 10:37 PM

The gun control question should have been answered by all the

candidates to see if there is any disagreement.

So now the Dem. position is that the mentally ill should not own

firearms, and any one who wants to own a firearm must be mentally ill.

mad saint jack on July 23, 2007 at 10:43 PM

The gun control question should have been answered by all the

candidates to see if there is any disagreement.

So now the Dem. position is that the mentally ill should not own

firearms, and any one who wants to own a firearm must be mentally ill.

mad saint jack on July 23, 2007 at 10:43 PM

yep how dare that pesky second amendment get in there way , oh and higher taxes because we all know they dont waist enough of other peoples money . Maybe they should waist some of that money on building a God D*&* fence , or at least cut off ted kennedys drink fund.

Mojack420 on July 23, 2007 at 10:55 PM

No wonder they’re kissing a$$ for nutroots votes, they’re too busy alienating everyone else.

Speakup on July 23, 2007 at 11:07 PM

Amazing, the Democrats will meet with our sworn enemies, but they refuse to appear on FOX News Channel or meet with Americans such as Vets for Freedom. Absolutely pathetic.

Michael in MI on July 23, 2007 at 11:25 PM

Hmm wha sup wi dat ?

sonnyspats1 on July 23, 2007 at 11:26 PM

Apparently Mr. Biden wasn’t counting on that gun owner’s vote in the first place.

Hawkins1701 on July 23, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Is there any validity here?

sonnyspats1 on July 23, 2007 at 11:29 PM

Absolutely pathetic.

Michael in MI on July 23, 2007 at 11:25 PM

What’s really pathetic is the tacit agreement between the candidates that they shant eat their own. The politeness is sickening. “My friend…”, “He’s right, but”, etc.

Jesus, If I wanted to watch the House of Lords, I’d tune in to the BBC.

BacaDog on July 23, 2007 at 11:33 PM

Sweet The Boss is represented in the Mel&Bill tab. Must be from her 9 to 5 days.

sonnyspats1 on July 23, 2007 at 11:52 PM

…SweeterThe Mel&Bill tab has the Boss article. What a couple of crazy kids the Clintons were!

sonnyspats1 on July 24, 2007 at 12:16 AM

You are merciless Allahpundit. If Kirsten were giving you some play, you’d see part her denial that the nutroots have the Democratic Party. Methinks she needs to deny it inorder to remain a Democrat. Should she acknowledge the party has gone far left she would be convicted to leave it. Poor Kirsten…

Theworldisnotenough on July 24, 2007 at 12:32 AM

the messiah (talking about Iran and Syria):

“……….these countries are eventually going to have to carry some weight in the region…

And Allah is ready to let one of these disasters happen by abstaining instead of voting for someone like Fred?

Then what’s the point of having HotAir? You want to play to lose????????

Tman on July 24, 2007 at 1:51 AM

it won’t be anything other than a dog and pony show… masturbatory circle-jerk… tantamount to the imam friday motivational down at the ye olde mosque.

SilverStar830 on July 23, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Judging by the lowlight clips and the comments, looks like I called it. Damn glad I didn’t see one lick of those dim bulbs, or the cherry picked representatives of the average-Joe American Citizen, inbetween the sponsors ads.

/disenfranchised voter

SilverStar830 on July 24, 2007 at 2:02 AM

I hope those two clips where chosen as representative of just how ignorant Biden and ‘The Messiah” are. If not and that’s their good answers this country is soooooo screwed.

And on a brighter note… let’s have a show of hands and then the really, really dishonest amongst you delay a half-raised arm with a fairy wag and we’ll know your true inner-self. And we’ll never tell your dirty little secret.

Griz on July 24, 2007 at 2:22 AM

What a bunch of self-absorbed dumb sh*ts.

I’m starting to think it’s time to go “jihadist” on the Democrats. After all, they LOVE Al Qaeda and are working overtime to achieve a victory for them. And the Islamofascist cries of “DEATH TO AMERICA” doesn’t seem to resonate with them or fill them with dread. Honestly, I think some of them (like Dennis the Menace) probably agree with that sentiment.

So, maybe it’s time to put on the keffiyeh, shake my fist, and start shouting “DEATH TO THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY.” Do something that they’d understand, in other words.

Okay, well, not exactly death the way the Democrat’s Al Qaeda allies in the middle east mean it. No suicide bombers and IEDs. But an organizational death instead.

You know, start with arresting the officers and management of the DNC and all those powerful Democrats in Congress, including the assclowns standing on that stage tonight. Charge them all with treason and espionage, mopery and dopery, or whatever will work. Confiscate their bank accounts and political war chests. Implode that nice, new DNC HQ building they recently moved into and replace it with something actually USEFUL: A “Chicago-style” hot dog stand.

The Democratic Party HAS GOT TO GO…..

georgej on July 24, 2007 at 4:12 AM

I really liked the question about which republican they would choose as a running mate. Though, the answer was kind of crappy (Hagel).

rosewaning on July 24, 2007 at 6:40 AM

LegendHasIt

Thanks for the Richardson translation. Pity Obama or Hillary didn’t get a chance to respond so we could hang an answer like that around their necks in the general. Of course, Hillary is too shrewd to say something that damning. Obama, after last night, I’m not so sure.

Dudley Smith on July 24, 2007 at 7:44 AM

Biden is such an idiot…but I shouldn’t single him out. I think they’re all idiots.

I didn’t watch this train wreck for the same reason I haven’t watched the other train wrecks. It’s too damned early for this non-sense. Talk to me in October about elections. Until then, Senator Biden, you’ll find me on the range with MY babies.

Bugger off you slimey piece of lizard crap.

Pilgrim on July 24, 2007 at 7:48 AM

That “debate” was disgusting. If that debacle represents what this country has become, then run for the hills because we’re finished.

rplat on July 24, 2007 at 7:58 AM

It continues to show that the Democraps have a lot to be embarassed about.

lynnv on July 24, 2007 at 7:59 AM

Now playing in Peoria

Golfer_75093 on July 24, 2007 at 8:29 AM

I saw better questions while watching “Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?”.

revolutionismyname on July 24, 2007 at 9:15 AM

A personal favorite of mine was when Obama was asked if he was “black enough”. His quip that when he’s trying to hail a cab in NY he is, an intended slight against whites. Did he get that line directly from Danny Glover?

Obviously Barack has never been to NY. There are no white cab drivers in NY. Is he suggesting that “Mahmoud” won’t pick him up because he looks black?

awake on July 24, 2007 at 9:20 AM

The only one I could barely vote for is Joe Lieberman.

Oh, that’s right, he wasn’t there.

Guess that leaves… none of them.

profitsbeard on July 24, 2007 at 9:35 AM

My favorite is how Gravel wants a flat tax and a living wagre at the same time, failing to realize that they are mutually exclusive. That is, if he intends the government to set a “living wage.”

BKennedy on July 24, 2007 at 9:53 AM

The Democrats offer proof that God is a Republican.

Connie on July 24, 2007 at 10:26 AM

I thought the Youtube format was trite.

congsan on July 24, 2007 at 1:51 PM

Still no substance or really material differces between the candidates. There is apparently an unspoken agreement to not attack each other. Keep the blood out of the water.

I wonder how long the peace pact will last, and who will be the 1st Dem to go on the attack?

I wonder which news outlet will show their hypocricy and make a conspiracy claim of a GOP peace pact if there’s no bloodletting at the next GOP debate?

BacaDog on July 24, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Woah, 480 comments? I gotta get in on this action.

Biden: Nail meet coffin.

- The Cat

MirCat on July 24, 2007 at 3:47 PM

Hillary slapping around Obama on his idiotic response about meeting with terrorists and dictators is the only lasting image from this dog and pony show.

One more example of her political prowess, and his stupidity.

It’s Hillary vs. GOP candidate. Might be a good idea to drop ideals at this point in time and see who can beat her head-to-head…

Jaibones on July 24, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Apparently reaching out to FOX News viewers, Republicans, fellow Americans, is not as critical as reaching out to people who have or intend to kill Americans.

It’s the same kind of logic that makes Democrats think that Republicans are more of a threat to them than al Qaeda.

Seixon on July 24, 2007 at 6:45 PM

480 comments is a lot so I won’t go through all of them. I ‘ll just give my humble opinion: “this debate with the biggest piece of crap I’ve ever seen.” How unpresidential can our politicians be? This is a debate for petes sake. I think liberals are just teenagers who never grew up.

gator70 on July 24, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Jaibones on July 24, 2007 at 3:56 PM

That was interesting, but biden blurting out the exact truth about why we can’t just dissapear from Iraq was amazing.

That idiot doesn’t know it, but he probably exposed more dem minds and attitudes to the truth about the responsible realities of the war than anything the enemedia has allowed past the filters. Let’s hope a little light cracks through all those thick skulls.

rhetorical questions:
What happens to the dems if the surge continues to succeed like it has since its earliest beginnings?

And what happens when the People wake up and start taking notice that not only have the dems completely misunderstood the seriousness of the situation, but also how bad an idea it is to actively push forward our surrender and defeat?

History will look back on this period and marvel at how we could ever let the dems and the enemedia get this far.

techno_barbarian on July 25, 2007 at 1:14 AM

I saw better questions while watching “Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?”.

revolutionismyname on July 24, 2007 at 9:15 AM

You mean that wasn’t what I was watching?

soundingboard on July 25, 2007 at 9:47 AM

Woah, 480 comments? I gotta get in on this action.

Biden: Nail meet coffin.

- The Cat

MirCat on July 24, 2007 at 3:47 PM

Seconding both.

soundingboard on July 25, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Excuse me, but as a former debate judge, I object to calling anything resembling this farce a “debate”.

A debate involves a defined subject. A debate requires logical, reasoned argument. Most importantly, a debate requires that the opposite sides engage one another.

This POS has NONE of the elements required to call it a “debate”. It is simply a childish, pointless exercise reminiscent of what it was like to wander the halls of junior high school.

landlines on July 26, 2007 at 11:49 AM