Messiah vows before La Raza: Amnesty by the end of my first term

posted at 11:20 am on July 23, 2007 by Allahpundit

I thought for sure the Glacier would hold true to form and set the standard for racial pandering this weekend at the annual convention of, ahem, “The Race.” Nope. My bad. Hark, the demagogic call of the exasperated second-place candidate:

“Find out how many senators appeared before an immigration rally last year. Who was talking the talk, and who walked the walk — because I walked,” Mr. Obama said at the National Council of La Raza’s annual convention in Miami Beach. “I didn’t run away from the issue, and I didn’t just talk about it in front of Latino audiences.”

Mr. Obama was the most forceful, promising “in my first term we will make this a priority and get this done.” Mrs. Clinton said she couldn’t predict an outcome, but would “promise my best efforts.”

Exit question: Will this matter a jot to the “Obama Republicans” the media keeps telling us about or is it less a question of actual issues for them than just jonesing on that healing, bipartisan ethos that compares opponents of illegal immigration to civil-rights-era racists?

Comments

given that 1/2 of democrats oppose amnesty as well. Is this wise for his chances?

lorien1973 on July 23, 2007 at 11:33 AM

The “spirit of political unity” cited in the Sun Times is especially great. Obama as unifier/moderate/healer is entirely a figment of the media push to make us believe his (hitherto) moderate-sounding rhetoric and ignore his liberal record. Well, and of course many of them actually believe he’s a moderate because they think their liberalism is moderation.

Alex K on July 23, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Messiah vows before La Raza

Shouldn’t that be ‘bows before La Raza’? Seems more appropriate.

austinnelly on July 23, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Democrats that don’t get the immigration big picture?
Wow.

We just need to record the pandering because illegal immigration is a very strong crossover issue and anyone who wants to be the POTUS better take the hint a crashed phone system sends.

Speakup on July 23, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Why wait until his first term?

Why doesn’t He just wave His hand now and make it in America as it is in Heaven?

saint kansas on July 23, 2007 at 11:39 AM

He’s hoping to win with the illegal vote.

Kowboy on July 23, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Probably more than half, and some with passion commensurate to right-of-center opponents. That may not matter now or in the general, but it will certainly matter when Obama’s promise becomes unkeepable in office. He’ll face a rebellion even bigger than this year’s (cause the issue will only have gotten hotter), except with the Right even more willing to blast the president than they were this time around (which was pretty willing…)

Alex K on July 23, 2007 at 11:40 AM

lorien1973 on July 23, 2007 at 11:33 AM

I suspect his camp expects the MSM to show the “good judgment” not to air this nationally. Just a quick, quiet slurp-up to a special interest group. Nothing to see here, gringos.

PatrickS on July 23, 2007 at 11:40 AM

In related news, Obama wins the RINO vote.

thirteen28 on July 23, 2007 at 11:41 AM

As a Afro-American, I believe Mr. Obama might be misjudging the amount of Afro-American support for Amnesty; especially in the case of La Raza. Although, I am a moral conservative and independent voter and don’t typically vote Democrat, I know my people and amnesty for aliens is not a priority in the Afro-American community. Republican candidates need to speak loudly to how illegal aliens and the issue of amnesty would adversely affect Afro-American political power, employment and “targeted” government programs. Mr. Obama might find this issue loses him and his party the support of the Democrats most loyal constitiency.

apostle53 on July 23, 2007 at 11:47 AM

He knows Hillary is going to spank him. Of course, she will do the same. She’s just not stupid enough to stick her head between her knees and kiss her ass goodbye before the general election, as he just did. It’s too late for Obamma to try and move to the left of Edwards, and don’t bet Edwards doesn’t overtake Obamma later on in the campaign.

But is there a conservative alternative I can vote for, acutally ON the ballot anywhere? Rudy? Maybe he’s just conservative enough, and could carry New York. Mitt, sadly looks like too many people are afraid of him. McCain? Ha ha ha ha ha ha. No please hahahahahahahaha.

doufree on July 23, 2007 at 11:49 AM

lorien1973 on July 23, 2007 at 11:33 AM

No. And I oppose amnesty for all the right reasons.

captivated_dem on July 23, 2007 at 11:51 AM

The only Republicans who can vote for Obama are the ones who are no longer Republicans. There is nothing about that man that has anything to do with Republican ideals.

Esthier on July 23, 2007 at 11:55 AM

Jeesh! The people who have been hurt the most by illegal immigration have been black Americans. A bit out of touch there, Obama!

Blake on July 23, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Shouldn’t the title for this be:

Chocolate Rain for La Raza

MadisonConservative on July 23, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Esthier;
No sarcasm, when I ask this. Is it true that being registered an independent, or whatever it is called, you can’t vote in either primary?

captivated_dem on July 23, 2007 at 12:01 PM

A reason why this man must never be President!

voiceofreason on July 23, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Obama was far and away my favorite of the democratic candidates. Until now. I probobly wouldn’t have voted for him in the general election anyways, but if that’s his position on immigration forget about it.

BadgerHawk on July 23, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Now, if Billary makes the same pledge, my level of optimism will increase substantially!

TheBigOldDog on July 23, 2007 at 12:04 PM

That is by far the most race-bating thing I’ve ever heard coming from a candidate. He sounds like Nifong.

AlexB on July 23, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Esthier;

captivated_dem on July 23, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Anybody?

captivated_dem on July 23, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Democrats that don’t get the immigration big picture?
Wow.

Speakup on July 23, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Exactly.

PBoilermaker on July 23, 2007 at 12:09 PM

And Our Lord and Savior Obamassiah Spoke Thus unto the Crowd;

“Know Me, and I shall pander to thee”

Bad Candy on July 23, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Some states don’t allow Independents to vote in Primaries. PA is one. Though they may let independents vote on some primary things, like school boards because a lot of people cross file, I’m not sure.

Bad Candy on July 23, 2007 at 12:13 PM

I’m still waiting to see a match up between The Messiah and The Only Man Who Can Save America. It will be bigger than Jesus vs Santa.

BohicaTwentyTwo on July 23, 2007 at 12:14 PM

captivated_dem on July 23, 2007 at 12:08 PM

It depends on the kinds of elections your state has – opened or closed. Open elections you can vote no matter party in the primaries. I think. My poli sci class was a long time ago, but I think that’s how it works. If you’re Decline to State, which I am, you can choose which party to vote for, Dem or Repub, in the primaries. Caveat: These rules are for California. I don’t know about any other state.

That said, I’m getting reeaaaally tired of being labeled racist/bigot/etc because I’m against amnesty and illegal immigration. Keep calling me a racist and see if I vote for you. Them Dems are the party of tolerance like Islam is the religion of peace.

wherestherum on July 23, 2007 at 12:19 PM

That’s “the Dems” not “them Dems.” It’s still early on the west coast…

wherestherum on July 23, 2007 at 12:20 PM

Thanks Bad Candy. I’ll research it for my state.

captivated_dem on July 23, 2007 at 12:21 PM

wherestherum on July 23, 2007 at 12:19 PM
Thanks!

captivated_dem on July 23, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Dems are the party of tolerance like Islam is the religion of peace

succinct and frighteningly accurate.

Can I put that on bumper stickers and T-shirts?

trubble on July 23, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Why doesn’t he just say, “You know, I don’t really want to be President.

Mazztek on July 23, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Captivated_dem: I believe it depends on the state. In California you can only vote for the candidates of the party you are registered for in the primary. A few years back, they changed the law to allow voting for any party at the primary but it was challenged in court and ruled illegal.

Blake on July 23, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Thanks Blake. I’m in a self imposed quandary.

captivated_dem on July 23, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Question: Wouldnt these comments turn the black vote against him? I know that alot of African Americans are not happy of illegal immigration rights being compared to civil rights.

JVelez on July 23, 2007 at 12:46 PM

Barack Hussein Obama can kiss my latino-immigrant axx!

Ropera on July 23, 2007 at 12:50 PM

Amnesty is divisive, but Obamnesty will be like Fitzmas in July.

rw on July 23, 2007 at 12:59 PM

His position was obvious during the Shamnesty debate. Since my sister-in-law thought well of Hussein, I would quote Hussein about immigration on my brother and sister-in-law’s answering machine. As a result, my sister-in-law went back to liking John Edwards. I don’t know that I improved the situation.

I can’t emphasize enough that we should listen to politicians, if we don’t want to surprised by their positions. I mean really listen without judgment. If just view them through either the prism of friend or enemy, we end up distorting what they say Hilary comes to mind as the big problem for many readers here, but I’m sure Fred and Rudy are also issues.

thuja on July 23, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Shouldn’t that be ‘bowsbends over before La Raza’? Seems more appropriate.

austinnelly on July 23, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Wade on July 23, 2007 at 1:12 PM

He is just looking out for the rights of his Muslim brothers the poor migrantterroristO.T.M. Have every right to invade immigrate. Into the United States of America. They will do those jobs Americans won’t do bombing us

I’m sorry barack hussein obama no BBQ pork sandwich for you .

Mojack420 on July 23, 2007 at 1:19 PM

Good. America doesn’t want amnesty and this will hurt The Messiah’s chances.

congsan on July 23, 2007 at 1:25 PM

In the months leading up to graduation, I wrote to every civil rights organization I could think of, to any black elected official in the country with a progressive agenda, to neighborhood councils & tenant rights groups. When no one wrote back, I wasn’t discouraged. I decided to find more conventional work for a year, to pay off my student loans and maybe even save a little bit. I would need the money later, I told myself. Organizers didn’t make any money; their poverty was proof of their integrity.

Source: Dreams from My Father, by Barack Obama, p.125 Aug 1, 1996

Egfrow on July 23, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Esthier;

captivated_dem on July 23, 2007 at 12:01 PM

I don’t know, but I would guess as much, since it appears that one must be registered as a Democrat to vote for the Democrat primaries and registered as a Republican to vote for the Republican primaries.

But I could be reading it wrong.

It makes sense though, because Republicans wouldn’t want Democrats choosing their next presidential candidate and vise versa.

Esthier on July 23, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Whether because of New York’s density or because of its scale, it was only [there] that I began to grasp the almost mathematical precision with which America’s race and class problems joined; the bile that flowed freely not just out on the streets but in the stalls of Columbia’s bathrooms as well, where, no matter how many times the administration tried to paint them over, the walls remained scratched with blunt correspondence between niggers and kikes.

Source: Dreams from My Father, by Barack Obama, p.254 Aug 1, 1996

Egfrow on July 23, 2007 at 1:48 PM

If this gets reported by the national MSM, Obama may be in deep trouble, as many blacks are seriously opposed to amnesty for illegals.

Which is probably why it won’t get reported.

Dave R. on July 23, 2007 at 1:52 PM

At least he has Bush’s, Chavez, McCain, and their cronies vote.

right2bright on July 23, 2007 at 1:58 PM

Obama on the Isues.

Egfrow on July 23, 2007 at 2:02 PM

apostle53 on July 23, 2007 at 11:47 AM

I agree completely. The comparison of illegal-immigrant rights, or even legal-immigrant rights, to the civil rights movement is just preposterous.

Obama’s position is not even popular with most 2nd or 3rd generation Hispanics who I know. So support for amnesty is pretty much popular only with the radical fringe, no matter what their background is.

Snidely Whiplash on July 23, 2007 at 2:17 PM

Obama said:
“I didn’t run away from the issue.”

No. He saved the running away for the ‘John Doe’ immunity from litigation clause for reporting suspicious behavior, by his non-vote on the issue.

awake on July 23, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Esthier on July 23, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I’m not really dense, just ignorant…..impatient….alittle lazy, self deprecating.

captivated_dem on July 23, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Remember this Mexican classic?

Mr. Obama, do you think these people care about you? About your country? Get a clue!

The Mexicans being brought over are voluntary slaves. The employers who hire them are supplanting AMERICANS for profit.

The corporate farmers who use these low-wage workers actually hurt farmers in other parts of the country by undercutting prices ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. Corporate slave labor and greedy farmers killed the small farm?

Obama. Your call for amnesty is the talk of a treacherous traitor.

I would rather wait 40 years for a black president than have one who sells away the legacy and security of our nation before he even makes it into office.

The Race Card on July 23, 2007 at 2:56 PM

The Messiah, or it is Mahdi?, wants to begin to eradicate America’s rule of law in order to undermine the national fabric and ultimately dissolve America into Balkanized chaos.

Isn’t that al-Qaeda’s ultimate goal, as well?

The Waziristani Candidate?

profitsbeard on July 23, 2007 at 3:02 PM

What great news. It will be fun to watch him flame out just like john McCain.

American politicians and the tax paying public are like two ships passing in the night.

saiga on July 23, 2007 at 3:09 PM

In Arizona, a registered Independent voter may choose whether to vote a Republican or Democrat primary ballot. It wasn’t always so, one used to have to be registered with one of the two to vote in their party’s primary, or not vote at all.

Shay on July 23, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Staking out this position might actually hurt him if they would actually ask tough any questions about immigration in the Democratic debates. Nice to know they can spend lots of time asking the Republicans about creationism but can’t find time to ask the Dems about an issue that by any standard is in the top one or two on voters minds.

Dudley Smith on July 23, 2007 at 3:24 PM

The Illinois Democrat said the recent Senate immigration debate “was both ugly and racist in a way we haven’t see since the struggle for civil rights.”…

What an idiot. Civil rights again? come on my brotha, you HAVE to have another card in that deck…

JWS on July 23, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Useful idiot for the party. The guy has nothing going for him and I hope that they chose him as their rep for the party.

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE on July 23, 2007 at 8:09 PM

La Raza? Why not La Blanco?

spike on July 23, 2007 at 8:26 PM

or
Why not La Blanco Raza?
Sorry, was I being a RaZaest?

spike on July 23, 2007 at 8:28 PM

We are finally going to be turned into that THIRDWORLD they (elites&company) need for slave labor..We are headed backwards not forward..

Legions on July 23, 2007 at 9:24 PM

I KNEW Obama was a freaking closet racist. First he’s revealed to be a member of the Trinity United Church of Christ, whose mission statement is openly Afrocentric. Now he’s pandering to La Race.

I don’t even want to think of what will come next.

Ryan Gandy on July 23, 2007 at 9:38 PM

I don’t even want to think of what will come next.

Ryan Gandy on July 23, 2007 at 9:38 PM

Same as mexico itself..Two classes one rich with the elites the other impoverish with their will broken..Your right don’t think about it..

Legions on July 23, 2007 at 9:55 PM

You expected something else from Obama? It is good that he will not be the Democrat’s selection for presidential candidate, regardless of Oprah’s support.

We should pay close attention to who is supporting this fool, and remember them when they speak on the political platform again.

omegaram on July 23, 2007 at 10:56 PM

He’s an Ass Clown, but I don’t see much evidence that he’s a racist. He’s just another in an endless stream of liberal Democrat race panderers.

A different sort of politician?

Nope. Just more of the same with whiter teeth and a fag in his mouth.

Jaibones on July 23, 2007 at 11:38 PM

Obama is nothing more than a new version of Jessie Jackson (and we all know where he comes from). He’s just so frigging stupid that he hasn’t figured out that 98% of Americans don’t jump at race baiting anymore. It took decades, but the country finally has caught on to the Democrap Party’s ploy. This jerk can’t even keep up.

lynnv on July 24, 2007 at 8:06 AM

why would anyone support amnesty for illegal criminal aliens? I still think the stats are inaccurate.

People who support amnesty are probably married to an immigrant who was illegal, hire illegals, IS an illegal, or has some other form of ulterior motive ($$).

As far as I know, blacks haven’t been supporting Mexican issues over their own. In many cases blacks, and Mexicans don’t even get along.

flipflopper on July 24, 2007 at 9:41 AM

Obviously taking a cue from Jesse Jackson and Charlie Rangle, Mr.Obama figures the illegal alien issue is about race. It could be about race in isolated incidences but over all it’s about soverienty, safety, Jobs…. American jobs that are being lost to Mexico right here in our own country. It’s about not diluting American culture with a failed culture in numbers that can’t possibly be assimilated. It’s about NOT seeing foriegn flags waving above protest marches in our streets.

It’s about wanting to protect America Sir, not about the color of skin. When you finally understand this you will understand why the phone lines and switchboards were shut down with callers over the amnesty bill. Your going to have to look further than skin color sir if you’re going to be our president.

Ernest on July 24, 2007 at 10:15 AM

Sorry about the mis-spellings. I guess I’m a product of the Word Processor culture.

Ernest on July 24, 2007 at 11:17 AM