Video: “Gen. Patton” on the war on terror, Harry Reid

posted at 4:14 pm on July 22, 2007 by Allahpundit

I hate crap like this but people on our side love it so here you go. It’s a retreat into fantasy: “If only Patton were still alive and we had the political will and weren’t so PC, we’d have already pacified Iraq through the sheer brains and balls of one of Uncle George’s tank offensives.” Different war, different time, different enemy, different manpower. Get over it.

Nice job with the George C. Scott impersonation, though.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ah yes… One good nuke DOES deserve another.

Static on July 22, 2007 at 4:18 PM

I’m sorry, Allah, I wish this wasn’t fantasy. “get over it?” I believe thats the problem. Our soldiers are over there doing the best they can do with the PC crowd holding them back. Some of the soldiers who were at Abuh Ghraib had rubber bullets for pete’s sake. So, NO I WON’T GET OVER IT!

ChrisIansNana on July 22, 2007 at 4:32 PM

Moral Relativism, which is at heart of the pc movement, wasn’t near as well rooted during WW2. Thats the big difference. CS Lewis remarked once that “Relativism would certainly damn our souls and end our species”, he’s looking more and more like a prophet each day.

jp on July 22, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Wow, that is a good impersonation, of an impersonation of Patton.

firepilot on July 22, 2007 at 4:42 PM

Inspiring, yes! Not crap at all, I don’t understand your dislike of it AP!?
Even then, during his time, he was PC’ed to the point where he couldn’t do his job effectively.

I particularly like the Harry Reid reference. So True.
Get over it? I can only dream.

Kini on July 22, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Allah,
Although all too often there is a reversion into fantasy in order to suspend action retard offering non-fantastic ideas, it must be remembered that this can and should be used (in part) in aligning one’s own ideas. The elevation of brave, magnanimous, elegant, and brilliant men have been a part of classical Western thought for over three thousand years. I am reading through St. Augustine’s book The City of God, and within the first few chapters he has used the heroes of Virgil and Homer along with the New Testament to encourage the Church, as they endure the fall of the Roman Empire. Fantasy and folklore have always been, paradoxically, a pulling force. I say paradoxically because, if done correctly, the looking back to the stories there is at the same time a pulling and looking forward. This dialectic (loosely speaking) is what has moved the West. The problem is, most people just look back without allowing the fantasy to drive the reality; this is usually caused by an inherent laziness. So don’t hate the fantastic, rather embrace the proper expression of it.

Weight of Glory on July 22, 2007 at 4:47 PM

It’s a retreat into fantasy: “If only Patton were still alive and we had the political will and weren’t so PC, we’d have already pacified Iraq through the sheer brains and balls of one of Uncle George’s tank offensives the men and women serving in Iraq right now.” Different war, different time, different enemy, different manpower. Get over it.

You get over it Allahpundit. If we had the poltical will and did not have an anti-war, anti-victory Congress. The Patriquin plan would have been used at least a year or two earlier and where would we be now? George Bush wasted billions and at least two years by not having a post war plan (the blue ink on the hand was really cute but simply voting did nothing to help the post war effort). The plan we have now is working but is being hindered by the lack of political will and the Democrats investment in defeat. The sterotypical scene of Patton in front of the flag represents so much more than what you imagine. Thank you for the condesending attitude, at least it prompted you to post the clip…

Theworldisnotenough on July 22, 2007 at 4:48 PM

jp on July 22, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Nail on the head, nail on the head.

Weight of Glory on July 22, 2007 at 4:51 PM

What we need are move people to agree with what this video said. Allah, I can’t believe you said “get over it”. Tell that to the parents, wives, husbands, and children who has lost a soldier, to the soldiers who were spit on when they came home from Vietnam, and to my grandchildren who think thier Daddy went to Iraq to fight so it wouldn’t happen on American soil.

ChrisIansNana on July 22, 2007 at 4:52 PM

more instead of move

ChrisIansNana on July 22, 2007 at 4:54 PM

There is nothing to get over.

The core principle of warfare is timeless. You fight to win. If you are not fighting to win you are fighting to loose.

That is the essense of the message in this video, and it doesn’t matter if it was expressed by Leonidas, Sun Tzu (孫子), General Patton, or a contemporary George C. Scott impersonator. The truth of it endures.

Herikutsu on July 22, 2007 at 5:00 PM

Good piece of snark on a slow newsflash, sleepy, summer Sunday afternoon.

Great effort in flushing out the non-sleepy reader/commentators!

Don’t worry, everybody loves you AP!

Mcguyver on July 22, 2007 at 5:02 PM

I hate crap like this but people on our side love it so here you go.

When did AP become a Republican senator?

If you don’t believe in it, don’t post it. Maybe see-dubya, when not breaking the blog, would do it.

Since you don’t have to do anything, don’t insult your audience if you go ahead and do it. That kinda self-hatred bull is reserved for the dailykos.

TheEJS on July 22, 2007 at 5:03 PM

I believe I read (Victor Davis Hanson) that Patton actually had a high, nasally whiny voice. Oh well.

robblefarian on July 22, 2007 at 5:04 PM

Patton was one of the right men in the right place at the right time. Something greatly lacking today. Time will tell if General Petraeus proves to be the same. Reading Michael Yon’s dispatchs, one would believe so.

A lot of us eat this up because we crave decisive leaders of old like Patton, Eisenhower, FDR, TR, Churchill, etc.

“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

Teddy Roosevelt
“Citizenship in a Republic,”
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris,
April 23, 1910

synycalwon on July 22, 2007 at 5:06 PM

If you don’t believe in it, don’t post it.

Why shouldn’t I post it if I know the readers will like it?

I’m sorry, Allah, I wish this wasn’t fantasy. “get over it?”

Yeah, get over it. Patton’s not coming back and neither is the culture in which he flourished, and there’s no telling how his strategies would have worked against an unconventional force in an unconventional theater in any case. Our troops are as good as his were, if not better, and our military technology is vastly superior. If he had a freer hand, we have a stronger hand. Let’s figure out a way to win within the parameters we have rather than escaping into daydreams.

Allahpundit on July 22, 2007 at 5:14 PM

…. “you ought to spend more time watching the History Channel, and less time in the g-d chat rooms !! ”

haha I LOVE IT !!!!

Always Right on July 22, 2007 at 5:19 PM

When did AP become a Republican senator?

That’s funny

hulbstar on July 22, 2007 at 5:21 PM

With rubber bullets? When you can’t shoot at someone because he is in the middle of a crowd and he shoots a RPG at a bus with American Soldiers in it. Thank God he missed. I’ll take Pattons perameters thank you very much because yours suck. And I’m sure those soldiers weren’t daydreaming!

ChrisIansNana on July 22, 2007 at 5:26 PM

Why shouldn’t I post it if I know the readers will like it?

Yet you then criticize the readers, stereotyping everyone in a “broad strata” stroke?

TheEJS on July 22, 2007 at 5:27 PM

“… we are advancing constantly and we’re not interesting in leaving anything except…. the parking lot !!!”

OH MAN, this is HYSTERICAL !!!!

Always Right on July 22, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Everybody’s got to believe in something

…I believe I’ll have another beer

SilverStar830 on July 22, 2007 at 5:29 PM

When did AP become a Republican senator?

AP, are you 30 years old yet?

Bigfoot on July 22, 2007 at 5:33 PM

This was an absolutely OUTSTANDING VIDEO. Kudos to all involved.

Allah has evidently become too cynical to see the similarities in recognizing evil and having the guts to fight it,whether its the 1940s and national socialism or the 2000s and islamic fanaticism.

But at least the rest of us Airheads do.

Always Right on July 22, 2007 at 5:35 PM

George is looking pretty spry for a 122-year-old!

highhopes on July 22, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Yeah, get over it…. Let’s figure out a way to win within the parameters we have rather than escaping into daydreams.

Allahpundit on July 22, 2007 at 5:14 PM

I know it’s your site and you can do as you want and ban who you want, but your attitude here is wrong and most everyone feels that way…

JWS on July 22, 2007 at 5:37 PM

I kind of like pointing out the differences between the 1940′s mindset and today’s. Then, we were resolved to win; now, we’re resolved to consider and take into account the complexities of the totality of the shifting circumstances.

Then, Patton could talk like he did. Nowadays a real general talking like Patton would be fired. The contrast is instructive, if demoralizing.

see-dubya on July 22, 2007 at 5:38 PM

“History repeats itself”
“…spend less time in the g.d. chat rooms” :) Always Right
“…not leaving anything, except the parking lot” AR, again
“…like Reid…know no more than screwing…”
“…this is not a g.d. videogame”
“…tell what you see around you” – video obviously produced when the “John Doe” provision was still alive

“…you s.o.b. know how I feel…(let’s quit pontificating)…that’s all…”

Nowhere does he call for another Patton to come back. He just wants us, specifically our illustrious left, to wake up and grow some. Brilliant impersonation.

On a serious note

Allahpundit on July 22, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Agree with this statement fully – just don’t know what to do about roughly 60% of the populace, setbacks and speed of the WoT not withstanding.

Entelechy on July 22, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Every war is a “different war”, but all wars are alike in that they test our courage, our perseverance and our will to win. I think that was the point of the parody.

RedWinged Blackbird on July 22, 2007 at 5:42 PM

“Patton’s not coming back and neither is the culture in which he flourished…”

Allahpundit – I wish you and many others did not hold this pessimistic, defeatist attitude about our culture. I hear the same thing said with regards to leaders in government “We’re never going to have another Reagan, so get over it and just accept the corrupt people we have and vote for the lesser of two evils.”

I believe it is this attitude of accepting the status quo and not demanding and working towards something better that is holding us back.

I think “get over it” is pretty dismissive.

I present you with this mentality:

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.” —Mark Twain

I tire of all the people who belittle those who wish for this country to become something better than it currently is, for our leaders to be better than they currently are. It is the natural state of Americans to aspire to be better and to improve. Our revolution was about not just saying “get over it” to the policies of King George. The civil rights movement was about not just saying “get over it” to the racist policies of the time.

I’m sorry, but I completely disagree with your dismissive, pessimistic and defeatist attitude here.

What if we all took that attitude with regards to the Amnesty Bill? “Hey Michelle Malkin and HotAir: our politicians are all corrupt and bought off and are never going to change their policies of Amnesty and Open Borders. Get over it.”

I can apply this to pretty much anything. Hey Pro-Lifers, we’re never going to have a pro-life culture. Stop working towards it and get over it. Hey abstinence education promoters. We’re never gonna stop young kids from having sex. Stop working towards that end and get over it. Hey conservative Americans. We’re never going to stop our country’s fall into Socialism and Communism. It’s just a matter of time. Stop working to stop it and get over it.

I like your research here at HotAir, Allahpundit, but I really don’t like your negative, pessimistic, defeatist attitude about a lot of things.

Great people work to inspire others to achieve great things. I am glad those involved in the civil rights movement did not listen to those who told them to “get over it”. I am glad those in the women’s sufferage movement did not listen to those who told them to “get over it”.

You consider this video and attitude to be “escaping into daydreams”. How many great things in our country’s history were the result of seeing daydreams come to fruition?

Yes, we have to make sure we deal with the realities of the situation, but at the same time, we have to not give up on our goals and dreams to make a positive difference. I bet Michelle Malkin was told to “get over it” with regards to becoming an influential person in the journalism world and then blogging world. Now look at her. Her books, her weekly syndicated column, her being a guest on FOX News Channel, her starting up Michelle Malkin.com, her starting HotAir.com and now guest-hosting on one of the most popular News Talk Shows on Cable TV, O’Reilly Factor. I bet in the beginning, people would have called all these things just a fantasy for her and she should “get over it”. I am certainly glad she did not have that attitude.

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 5:43 PM

For no reason other than objectivity

JWS on July 22, 2007 at 5:37 PM

HA, to my recollection doesn’t ban commenters for simply disagreeing with the authors of the threads. MM even states this in the policies I recall.

Entelechy on July 22, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Also, a video that is very relevant to today (just subsititute the Nazis and Communism with jihadists and Islamism):

A Time for Choosing

Reagan – A Time for Choosing

The only reason we will not have “another Reagan” is because we do not demand another Reagan. Period. The “get over it” attitude is what allows our elected officials to continue to corrupt empty suits.

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 5:49 PM

Entelechy on July 22, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Uh….ok….thanks a bunch. I’ll be more careful next time…

JWS on July 22, 2007 at 5:50 PM

The word nowhere can be read:

no where, or
now here,

depending on one’s attitude. Maybe we need to consider this as a country, with all its assets and drawbacks.

Taskforce NOWHERE commences now!

Entelechy on July 22, 2007 at 5:58 PM

I think some of you might be reading too much into the “get over it” comment by AP.

forest on July 22, 2007 at 6:03 PM

forest on July 22, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Hmm. Seems like it could mean the actual Patton isn’t coming back, or, we will simply never (for whatever reason) see anyone like him again.

Close?

JWS on July 22, 2007 at 6:07 PM

forest – The “get over it” comment by Allahpundit was just the last in a long line of negative, pessimistic comments/posts I have read from him over the past few months, especially with related to the war effort. I read military blogs on a daily basis and I read more optimism and ambition from them than I read here at HotAir and in the comments sections here. It is very disheartening to see that kind of negativism and pessimism from one of the more popular and widely read Conservative blogs on the web. I believe it is just this kind of attitude that disheartens the military men and women who feel much more positively about their progress and success. In fact, I hear the same type of sentiments from them as I hear in this video. They want a leader like Patton to let them loose and do their jobs. Maybe if we all worked harder to destroy political correctness, we could get our culture and country back from the depths of where it is now.

From an Army Ranger’s Mouth About Iraq

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 6:11 PM

Michael in MI

That’s why I don’t comment much anymore. Allah has become in my opinion just another elitist, he is our “better” you know.

When I read that Allah is on our side I have to ask “since when?”

Then again I suppose General Allahpundit at 27 years old is far smarter than General Patton or those who agree with him.

Capitalist Infidel on July 22, 2007 at 6:18 PM

Uh. Patton came close to being sacked – twice. Once was for slapping a soldier whom Patton believed was shirking duty by the reason of emotional distress. Patton had done it as a theatrical gesture, and a desire to stir in the man a shame to get up and pull himself together. The enlisted man in question later shrugged it off, but the political enemies of Patton wanted his hide and demanded he be fired. The second occasion was Patton’s speech in England to a group of Welcome CLub ladies, during Patton’s forced idleness, his role to distract the Nazis from discerning the details of the Allied plan of invasion.
“What would have passed as a local boner coming from anyone less than Patton had promptly exploded into a world crisis.” -Bradley
Patton mentioned (in a speech that was not supposed to be reported by the press), “my only experience of welcoming has been to welcome Germans and Italians to the ‘Infernal Regions’ In this I have been quite successful” He went on to flatter his hostesses by asserting that the The Welcome Club was great because with jealous American women hearing about the lovely English ladies entertaining American men, “the sooner the American ladies will … force this war to a quick conclusion and I will get a chance to go and kill Japanese.”
But what really fried the world press was this breezy, cheeky and slyly sarcastic, “since it is the evident destiny of the British and Americans, and of course, the Russians to rule the world, the better we know each other, the better we will do.” All quotes from Carlo D’Este’s “Patton, A Genius for War.”
For these insignificants, political opponents of Patton argued mightily and pulled whatever strings they could to convince the decision-makers to give up America’s finest fighting General, the only one the Germans were worried about – really worried about (and rightly so) – and only weeks before the Normandy Invasion. No Third Army smashing across France to Germany, no rescue of Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge, no… EVERYTHING.
Patton had political enemies who couldn’t stand the way he talked and in fact took his carefully crafted stage image (he presented himself that way solely to motivate the troops and scare the enemy- he was much quieter and reflective in private) of the polished-helmet strutting general and made it into the Hollywood stereotypical out-of-control military man.

naliaka on July 22, 2007 at 6:19 PM

the same impersonator did a pretty funny bit on Imus’s show while it was still with us:

The Patton Doctrine.

wordwarp on July 22, 2007 at 6:23 PM

As usual, the sophisticated Elites of 1940s hated Patton. They hated the way he warned about the Soviet Union, they hated the way he railed against the fascists. They hated his talk of “Hold ‘em by the nose and kick ‘em in the ass.”
It was the American soldier and the American people who loved Patton for speaking plain, demanding high standards and high expectations of his men – he told them they could do the impossible and they did.
The Elites came very close to destoying Patton’s career – which would have severely crippled the Allied war effort against the Nazi regime’s war machine. Brilliant.

naliaka on July 22, 2007 at 6:28 PM

naliaka – Thank you for that little bit of history. Good stuff. Sounds like the reason GEN Patton did not get sacked due to political correctness was because we had leaders who did not give in to P.C. B.S..

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 6:28 PM

For the past several months I have been entertaining the line: ‘Americans love and support a winner but cannot abide a loser.’, so this video was very satisfying to me. I think the sentiment is correct.
The Bush Admin. tried to win one on the cheap, and has been playing political defence until the American people have grown tired and unpersuaded of the mission.
The best strategery is still to project victory on the battlefield and in the Congress. Americans love a winner.

Randy

williars on July 22, 2007 at 6:35 PM

While I think it’s interesting (and disheartening) to compare the mindset of the 1940s America to the attitudes of today, it really does not have much value. One of the greatest issues conservatism deals with is “if only-ism.”

If only the media wasn’t liberal…

If only the ROE in Iraq were different…

If only we could get another Reagan…

If only we could get rid of politically correct thinking…

I agree. It would be nice if things were not as they were in many ways. But instead of engaging in wishful thinking about who we’d like to be in charge, perhaps it’s better to read the words of the man who is actually the general in charge of our troops and send his words of optimism to those in Congress.

Instead of bemoaning the loss of the World War II generation, celebrate the virtues of our own.

Slublog on July 22, 2007 at 6:38 PM

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 6:28 PM
Cheers!
Excellent read if you want more: Carlo D’Este “Patton a Genius for War”
and a diary/memoir by the man himself:
General George Patton, “War as I knew It.”

The accounts of Patton’s invasion of Morocco and how he finessed the problem of the defeated French colonial government and the Moroccan government to avoid open rebellion of the Moroccans against the French is incredible. He needed to be free to fight Germans, not be caught between open revolt by the Moroccans against the French. He really was the man for the job. He handled it brilliantly, knowing intimately the histories of both countries, the customs, and having the common sense and bravado to charm and win over the King, his court and the population, while providing dignity and assurances to the French governor and the French community who were in a very precarious situation after their defeat at his hands.

Encouragingly, our volunteer military is approaching the training of its officers in the multi-lingual, regional and political studies of specific geographic areas that will provide them with the kind of background Patton had.
It’s pathetic that our “journalism” schools are not demanding the same competencies of their graduates.

naliaka on July 22, 2007 at 6:44 PM

“I hate crap like this….”

Well, this father of a US Marine loved it!

georgej on July 22, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Slublog on July 22, 2007 at 6:38 PM

I believe we _are_ celebrating the virtues of our own, but reality is that we do not have the same degrees of freedom that we did almost 70 years ago. Frankly, I’m glad that production came out.

No one of us are less inclined to honor our generation than our contemporaries on the left; but at the same, time, it’s not a bad thing to take a page or two from those who wore the boots we wear three generations ago.

rightg33k on July 22, 2007 at 6:55 PM

I’m glad I’m not the only one feeling a sense of discontent from our overlord. But then I couldn’t do his job near as well and he’s still willing to do it. Maybe Michelle should of given him his Iphone after all. Some times you have to appease the appeaser.

KCtheKat on July 22, 2007 at 6:57 PM

But instead of engaging in wishful thinking…

All change begins with wishful thinking. You have to recognizes the current state of affairs, understand how you want them to be, then the work for the change.

For example:

Observe reality: The blogs are too much dominated by the left.
A little wishful thinking: If only consvatives had a bigger voice.
Action: Let’s create a blog and call it Hot Air.

This very blog shows that wishful thinking does have a positive value, providing that it is followed by some sort of action.

If that video helps us clarify the kind of leadership we think will work, and motivates us to help get those kind of leaders, then it is not just a trip to Fantasyland.

On the other hand, we could all just get over it and leave things the way they are.

Herikutsu on July 22, 2007 at 7:02 PM

I think this conversation is turning into an either-or rather than the both-and it should be. It is the looking to the fantasy of Patton and Reagan that gives us the inspiration, courage, and guidence in gaining the broader principles that govern their particular applications. If, however, there is simply the longing gaze at Patton, and nothing else, it becomes more of stumbling block of nostalgia. It is at that moment, then, that the practical realism needs to enter, in order to take the inspiration and apply it to the particular circumstances. You cannot progress without inspiration, and much of inspiration is a looking back. But you also cant have progress if you are constantly looking back. Having gained your position, you then must turn around and move forward. It is both-and, not either-or.

Weight of Glory on July 22, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Herikutsu on July 22, 2007 at 7:02 PM

Yes, that’s exactly what I meant.

/sarc

Slublog on July 22, 2007 at 7:05 PM

Herikutsu,

Exactly!

Weight of Glory on July 22, 2007 at 7:06 PM

Yeah? Where did I say that? I disagree with you on something and suddenly I’m your “better”?

Allahpundit on July 22, 2007 at 7:06 PM

Weight of Glory on July 22, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Very well said.

rightg33k on July 22, 2007 at 6:55 PM

I get what you’re saying. While I appreciate the sacrifices of those who came before us, I think we have to acknowledge that they lived in a time that we simply cannot re-create, no matter how much we wish to.

Slublog on July 22, 2007 at 7:08 PM

Good post Weight. That’s what I’ve been thinking, but have been unable to put into words.

forest on July 22, 2007 at 7:09 PM

Weight of Glory on July 22, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Allow me to echo this expression. Well said, sir.

Spirit of 1776 on July 22, 2007 at 7:11 PM

Michael in MI: “They want a leader like Patton….”

JWS: “…we will simply never (for whatever reason) see anyone like him again.”

We have one. Oh, he’s not as flashy as George was. He’s not as openly controversial. But, the elites despise him as much as their fathers and grandfathers despised George Patton. Why? Because his strategy (the real-time embodiment of the late Patriquin’s ideas) is working. Anbar is ours. Diyalah will soon be. Al Qaeda is on the run.

And the left (the Democrats) can’t stand it. That is why they are working overtime to surrender to Al Qaeda.

The open attacks on General David Petraeus have begun. In fact, they began as soon as his appointment was announced. William M. Arkin, the asshole who smeared the troops (called them mercenaries and so on), wrote a hit piece on him on January 5, 2007. The attacks on him by the Traitor Democrats are only going to increase, unfortunately.

georgej on July 22, 2007 at 7:14 PM

WE NEED MORE PATTON’S…..AND FAR FEWER WEARING PATTON LEATHER TO SURVIVE THIS. Time to wake up, and grow up, folks

mustang1 on July 22, 2007 at 7:18 PM

Yeah, I visit Hot Air less often and participate less & less in the threads with thought out time cosnuming contributions for a variety of reasons. One is, my posts almost never show up until an long after I hit the Submit button. Too many links to sources, certain words, whatever the reason. Sometimes they don’t show at all. It really $hits on the whole blog ‘participation’ concept.

Another reason is AllahP’s frequent subtley snide remarks debasing my religion when he posts some religion related topics. Also, AllahP’s not-so-subtle occassional bashing of American icons.

Get over it? No. I won’t get over it. I still hold out hope that REAL MEN with the tangible selfless veracity of a man like George S. Patton will someday hold public office and bring our country back from the depths of dispair that AllahP so proudly wears on his shirt sleeve. For now, it’s true, we’re lead by the nose by Paris Hilton wanna-be popularity contest politicians consumed by their own self-serving agendas, but there’s still hope.

Success is not final, failure is not always fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” -Sir Winston Churchill

SilverStar830 on July 22, 2007 at 7:23 PM

Pretty awesome even for fantasy.

The George C. Scott voice impersonation is good but few people know that Gen. Patton actually had a fairly high pitched voice. There are few actual recordings of his voice because he was self conscious about it.

Yakko77 on July 22, 2007 at 7:24 PM

What we need is a leader, that after this war is won, will be shown to be bold, wise, and forward looking. Not Patton, but that 60 years from now, our grandchildren with be on their blogs saying we need HIM to do for us what he did for the Iraq war.

THAT is what that video was all about.

csdeven on July 22, 2007 at 7:41 PM

I understand your frustration Allah. But I just want to make one point: Patton’s “brains” are vastly underestimated. He took the trouble to read Rommel’s book whereas not only do the vast majority of Western politicians refuse to read Islamic holy texts they don’t even know the difference between Sunni and Shia. Patton had an intellectual curiosity and strategic intelligence that was overshadowed by his reputation for making blunt, yet inspiring, speeches. If someone who really got it came along it wouldn’t matter that they weren’t Reagan, Churchill or Patton only that they could meet the challenge of the times. I think that in a democratic culture the right person will come along at the right time. I mean to go from Chamberlain to Churhcill and Carter to Reagan demonstrates the resourcefulness of Western Democracy when in peril. I hope this post cheers you up a bit.

aengus on July 22, 2007 at 7:43 PM

I’ve skipped over more than half the comments….so outraged by AP’s condescension toward both Patton and Chruchill. GET OVER IT??? How dare you! How DARE you youngster….cast such menial aspersions upon those that gave you the right to do so? I am stunned, I am stupefied by the comments I have found here. No wonder this country is in such dire staits…… This ‘grandmother’ says SHAME!

dustoffmom on July 22, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 6:28 PM
Cheers!
Excellent read if you want more: Carlo D’Este “Patton a Genius for War”

I SECOND THIS!!! This biography gives amazing insight into the man, his belief that he was reincarnated (Carthage), his chivalry based on his old-fashioned upbringing (his mother & aunt), his historical & geneological knowledge (Tazewell Patton – Civil War), and his military genius (studied Rommel). He would have understood this enemy like he understood all others, and he always fought to win.

This may be deemed ‘fantasy’ by people who have little to no faith left. Frankly, I may be in that group right now. I am very pessimistic about our chances against this foe.

But I NEED ANOTHER PATTON. Whether real or not, this keeps me in the fight. I can’t give up when I see this, despite my desire to. I gain inspiration wherever I can, even in movies if I need to.

So tell me, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT?

And in all honesty, I believe we’ll find the real deal when the sh*t hits the fan.

Miss_Anthrope on July 22, 2007 at 7:49 PM

Patton used to poke his head up during target practice in front of people shooting at him, just to see if he could take it.

He & Churchill ROCK…and if we choose to ignore our historical inspirations (Leonidis and the movie 300 ring a bell????), then we are doomed to repeat History.

WE NEED TO REMEMBER THEIR COURAGE TO FEED OUR OWN.

Miss_Anthrope on July 22, 2007 at 7:53 PM

“Different war, different time, different enemy, different manpower. Get over it.”

i.e. joy ;)

Hawkins1701 on July 22, 2007 at 7:54 PM

dustoffmom on July 22, 2007 at 7:46 PM

There is no condescension toward Patton or Churchill among those of us in the ‘youngster’ category, and none visible in the original post.

Slublog on July 22, 2007 at 7:55 PM

and if you hate ‘CRAP’ like this why did you post it? Many, if not most of us, would never have seen it otherwise. You are a total fraud AP! You strive to stir up the muck and start whatever shit you can manage. I have no trust in you, MM, or your sites any longer. You all were a daily, many times, read of mine…..can’t trust any of it any longer…..it’s all for ‘hits’ and show these days. Sitemeters seem to rule the days. So sad.

dustoffmom on July 22, 2007 at 7:56 PM

csdeven – Exactly. I think some people misinterpret admiration for and gaining inspiration from people such as GEN Patton and President Reagan as wishing they would come back and we had them here today. That is not the case, at least for me.

What I take from reading and watching the great speeches of GEN Patton and President Reagan is how they were leaders in times when leaders were needed, yet not necessarily embraced. I also am inspired, in this age of corrupt, spineless politicians, to know that leaders have emerged in our history to do great things for our country and the world. It tells me that great leaders can and will come again.

No, we will never have another GEN Patton or another President Reagan, just as we will never have another Michael Jordan or another Muhammad Ali or whatever other iconic person from history you can come up with. But we can have men and women of principle and integrity and courage who are inspired by those great leaders of our past to become great leaders of our present and future. As “georgej” mentioned, we have an excellent military leader right now in GEN Petraeus who is accomplishing historic things in Iraq right now.

Also, just think of the movie 300 and the story of the Spartans. The current military men and women absolutely loved that movie and found it as inspiration for themselves. Those of us who admire the amazing men and women we have in our US Marine Corps right now even make the comparison of them to those 300 Spartans.

Are the US Marines the 300 Spartans? Heck no. There will never be another 300. But there can be men and women with their spirit, devotion, courage, loyalty, sense of duty and never surrender attitude who are inspired by them.

Speaking only for myself, I don’t watch and read Reagan and Patton and the 300 and the Founding Fathers and think to myself “sigh… if only…” No, I take inspiration from them and think to myself, if those great men lived, then great men and women like them most definitely live today too and probably will live in our future.

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 7:58 PM

read it again……’get over it’ is full of condescension and I’ll not back down from my comment. AP and this site has been negative at a minimum of late and this reader is tired of it.

dustoffmom on July 22, 2007 at 8:01 PM

dustoffmom on July 22, 2007 at 7:46 PM

DustoffMom – The aspersions were not cast on Patton and Reagan, but on those of us who believe there are men and women around today who possess the qualities of these great men.

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 8:02 PM

I don’t think that we need a reincarnated or cloned Patton to defeat the Jihad, but we certainly need to be aware of and abide by the natural laws of warfare, which are as timeless and unchanging as nature itself.

We are currently involved in limited engagements in Iraq and Afghanistan while the enemy’s bases of powers lie elsewhere. If we somehow managed to pull off something resembling victory in these two countries while leaving the enemy’s bases of power intact, what exactly have we achieved? The current strategy seems to ignore the natural laws of warfare. You don’t kill a tree by plucking off a few leaves each day, you kill it by cutting it at it’s trunk and if necessary, pulling out its roots.

If by this statement you are suggesting that we invent new natural laws of warfare, because we simply aren’t the people that we used to be, this would be no easier than to invent new laws of gravity. War is what it is; it’s natural selection on a grand scale. You can recognize it and examine it objectively, but it remains unchanged as a result.

But if you are suggesting, as I imagine you are, that we need to use the people and capabilities that we have available to us today, combined with the natural and immutable realities that govern warfare, then I couldn’t agree with you more.

Step one would be to identify the enemy. Step two would be to go after their sources of power.

FloatingRock on July 22, 2007 at 8:02 PM

dustoffmom on July 22, 2007 at 8:01 PM

But it’s not condescending toward Patton, as your comment stated.

Slublog on July 22, 2007 at 8:02 PM

JWS: “…we will simply never (for whatever reason) see anyone like him again.”

georgej on July 22, 2007 at 7:14 PM

I was not saying this is how I feel; I was interpreting AP’s “get over it”. Don’t want to be lumped in with the other side on this…

JWS on July 22, 2007 at 8:03 PM

“But I just want to make one point: Patton’s “brains” are vastly underestimated. He took the trouble to read Rommel’s book whereas not only do the vast majority of Western politicians refuse to read Islamic holy texts they don’t even know the difference between Sunni and Shia. Patton had an intellectual curiosity and strategic intelligence that was overshadowed by his reputation for making blunt, yet inspiring, speeches… I think that in a democratic culture the right person will come along at the right time. I mean to go from Chamberlain to Churhcill and Carter to Reagan demonstrates the resourcefulness of Western Democracy when in peril. I hope this post cheers you up a bit.

aengus on July 22, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Good point! Expanding on it: Folks, cheer up more. Look at what our new officers are having to learn at all the Service Academies- Air Force, West Point and Annapolis. Foreign languages – Arabic, Urdu, Farsi, global studies, area studies, military history, AND Advanced Math, Physics, the Works.
Look what the college ROTC programs are demanding: Foreign Languages, area studies, political science plus military history – on top of regular studies, PLUS the physical training to be in top form.
The Service Academies are getting applications to the tune of 9,000 for every 1,000 slots. The ROTC scholarship programs are extremely competitive – no guarantee at all you’ll get even a dime. The up and coming youth don’t have to go that way, a college degree can be easy and lightweight, hedonistic colleges offer elaborate food courts and recreational spa-like amenities to pamper easy-going students.
Yet, by the thousands, men and women are competing for the HARDEST, MOST RIGOROUS UNIVERSITIES in the COUNTRY: The Army, Air Force, Coast Guard and Navy Academies.
MEANWHILE our over-priced journalism schools produce people who don’t speak a second language, at least not credibly, couldn’t place Wau on the right continent after three tries, can’t name the Prime Minister of India, don’t know a pistol from a revolver, and never heard of Scipio Africanus, but can shout out Paris Hilton’s dress size in a nanosecond.
The media is the sick man. The military is training the internationally savvy leaders of tomorrow.

naliaka on July 22, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 7:58 PM

Excellent!

naliaka on July 22, 2007 at 8:04 PM

No, we will never have another GEN Patton or another President Reagan

Nor will there be another Themosticles who fought off the Persian Empire despite overwhelming odds. The West will endure. If you’re a Jordanian you’re stuck with King Abdullah for decades on end but if you’re a free man or woman you can pick your leader. You don’t Jimmy Carter? Toss him out of office and vote Reagan in instead. Freedom does not guarantee victory but it makes it likely, or likelier at the very least.

aengus on July 22, 2007 at 8:06 PM

naliaka on July 22, 2007 at 6:44 PM

naliaka – Again, thank you! I am always looking for great reads on our past great leaders. I always find them inspirational and a great look into our past to find out just what has helped us get to today. I will put this on my reading list for this year.

I have a quite long list already, made up of military books suggested by military blogs as well as some my friend at work (US NAVY Reserves, Submarine guy) has suggested to me. I have spent the years since 9/11 having to catch up on so much history and knowledge of military science and military history and military strategy, since prior to then, I was completely ignorant of pretty much anything outside my comfortable little world.

In the last 6 years, I have learned so much from educating myself about the military and our country’s history that it has increased my respect and admiration for our military and this country. I look forward to learning more about Patton as well.

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 8:07 PM

I think we’re all missing something here. Allah is a sensitive sort. So when you think AP is lashing out, it’s really just a reaction to the hurt feelings. And for the get over it, without faith there can be no hope.

/observation

- The Cat

MirCat on July 22, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Michael……I have a daughter and sil in the military still….among other family members not quite so near. Such men and women do exist and serve, I know them. To have such warriors classed as AP et al wish to class them…..makes my blood boil. This blog is entering the realm of Kos in making me wonder why I even bother……why does MM support this I have to question?

dustoffmom on July 22, 2007 at 8:11 PM

dustoffmom on July 22, 2007 at 8:01 PM

It is snarky, but I wouldn’t go so far as to call it condescending, or ‘defeatist’ as some others have charged. Either way though, it’s obviously unpopular.

If Allah worked for the NYT or Reuters he could just go back and stealth-edit it…

forest on July 22, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Michael in MI, can you post some links to military blogs? I’d like to read them.

aengus on July 22, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Aengus – try http://www.milblogging.com to start. It’s a pretty comprehensive index of military bloggers.

Slublog on July 22, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Keep up the good work. I know what you mean though, our schools have FAILED to expose our students to history and how it’s relevent. STudents get boring, propagandized versions and can’t understand what’s so great about the subject.
DO add Scipio Africanus to your list if you haven’t already. To the question, “If Hannibal was one of the world’s greatest generals, what does that say about the general who defeated him?”
Scipio’s genuis of a master plan and his absolutely brilliant execution of his decade-long strategy to pry Hannibal out of Italy and on to the North African coastal fields before Carthage for the final show-down, the young Scipio against the older Hannibal and his undefeated war elephants is incredible. The concepts employed by Scipio who was truly Antiquity’s most brilliantly gifted commander, are incredibly revelent to our war strategy today.
Patton studied him, our officers study him, our media never heard of him.

naliaka on July 22, 2007 at 8:19 PM

start with blackfive or mudville gazette….then follow their blogrolls for some great ones! Not hard to find once you link into any one of them. Read any/all of them for a better idea of what is really happening. And do not miss Michael Ton’s excellent postings.

dustoffmom on July 22, 2007 at 8:19 PM

Personally, I thought it made alot of good points. This clip made some very astute observations about just what is wrong in our country today and what needs to be fixed. We need more Pattons today. Certainly don’t have much strength of convictions in Congress or the welfare of our country in their minds. It’s always the next election.

From what I read, I couldn’t believe we weren’t on a lefty site. Get over it? I think not.

katieanne on July 22, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Good point! Expanding on it: Folks, cheer up more. [ . . . ] The military is training the internationally savvy leaders of tomorrow.

naliaka on July 22, 2007 at 8:03 PM

naliaka – You know what keeps my spirits high? reading Military Blogs. I have a list of them that I read on a daily basis (mudville gazette, blackfive.net, Mudville’s Milblogs, Mrs. Greyhawk’s DAWN PATROL at Mudville, NRO’s THE TANK, Michael Yon) and those that I make sure to read on a weekly basis (Small Wars Journal, Michael Totten, Bill Roggio) and I come away with a great sense of pride, comfort, awe and admiration of our military men and women. And am completely humbled by their knowledge and education and what they are accomplishing on a daily basis there and have been since 2001 in Afghanistan and 2003 in Iraq.

If I only read the MSM, yeah, I would probably be pretty pessimistic too. But I read the MilBlogs on a daily basis to give me perspective and context and I come away with nothing but positive thoughts about our prospects in this war effort. The *only* time I feel negative is when I look to Washington and come to blogs like this which express nothing but negativity and all hope is lost and let’s face reality and “get over it” comments.

I so enjoy the research that AllahPundit does here, but the commentary is always so negative and fatalistic. It’s depressing and I really don’t understand the disconnect. As I said, I always come away feeling positive when I read the MilBlogs and get their analysis and commentary, but then I get the military commentary from political blogs and I feel the opposite.

I understand that the political situation looks bad, but the military situation looks good, so long as we don’t give up on our men and women and expect them to achieve in weeks what historically takes years (9 years to quell an insurgency).

We must not despair here. No great accomplishments happened when people just said, “oh it looks bleak, we’re probably not going to succeed, why bother trying, let’s just give up.” No, they happened because people overcame so many obstacles and did not give up.

*WE* are the ones make America succeed. If *WE* give up, then there is no hope. But so long as we do not, we can accomplish anything. But this defeatist, fatalistic attitude helps nothing.

Our men and women in the military have stated they just want the time and support to finish the job. We all need to work as hard to support them as we all did to kill the Amnesty Bill. I didn’t read Michelle Malkin inspiring people to stop Amnesty by saying “get over it”. No, I read her tell people to get on those phones and get to work to stop it!

The same applies here. Enough with the defeatism and fatalism.

We are all Pattons in our own way. We can all inspire one another. Find the Patton and Reagan inside you and use it to inspire yourself and others. We can all do our part here. We are all leaders.

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 8:24 PM

Thanks Slublog.

aengus on July 22, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Aengus – I don’t know if you have MySpace, but you should be able to access my list of Military Blogs that I setup here:

Military Blog List

If that does not work, some good ones to start with are http://www.Blackfive.net, http://www.mudvillegazette.com, http://www.mudvillegazette.com/milblogs.

Also, go through the blogrolls of those and you will find a LOT more great milblogs. Also, make sure to read Mrs. Greyhawk’s DAWN PATROL which she puts out each weekday, which is a collection of military blog posts from the military community, both member and veteran, both deployed and on the homefront. She posts so much, from those in Iraq, those in Afghanistan, those from other parts of the world, those focused on the media. I would guess she includes 15-25 links every day. Excellent read.

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 8:29 PM

Michael Yon
Pat Dollard
Bill Roggio

These are also excellent reads!

synycalwon on July 22, 2007 at 8:29 PM

aengus – I have a comment awaiting approval I am assuming, because I included 3+ links to Military Blogs in it.

Let me see if I can get this one approved quicker with only one link. It is to my MySpace blog with a listing of the Military Blogs I frequent. I don’t know if you can access it if you do not have MySpace, but I’ll post it anyway, just in case: Military Blogs

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 8:38 PM

Heh and sure enough, as I am writing a new comment, my other one appears! Oh well. :)

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 8:38 PM

We can all do our part here. We are all leaders.
Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 8:24 PM

Let’s take the half-full glass. AP grumbled a bit, not much, but he DID find something that made him stop and think “I know some people who’d like this” to post a video we all enjoyed and wouldn’t have known of otherwise.

What I think we have to work on is getting AP to carve out a little time to sit down sometime off the big screen and read about Patton to learn who he really was and thus dicover how much about Patton is cast about by his enemies in the most unflattering way. The ultimate insult by the Left is to use the public Patton uniform as the model to mock for all the over-the-top anti-military films since WWII.
I’d like to add that American military poise is much appreciated and admired overseas. Many American youth, untaught by their parents, have very poor manners and a slouchy demeanor that is not appreciated overseas. People in other cultures prefer the more formal bearing that military-trained men and women display. It’ll fry the Libs, but it’s the truth. The current Liberal Left undevelopment of their children is a big negative in cross-cultural settings. That many American kids are looking towards the military programs, JROTC, and ROTC for guidance in developing better personal habits and self-discipline is encouraging.

naliaka on July 22, 2007 at 8:39 PM

Allah,I never thought to look this up on U-Tube
This is priceless,the way things otta-be.
The first half i nearly laughed my self silly,
the other half is very sobering.
I,m glad you posted this,as entertaining as it is,
the reality of this Patton video it shows exactly
were the world is now,just like a mirror of World War Two.
And yet Iran threatens to vapourize Isreal and the
Unites States of America(little satan and big satan,Irans
terms not mine)and this leader truly means what he says.
Yet the world thinks he,s just talking,(the left,well he,s
not really serious)so were going to sit back and wait for
the cement to dry in the inner walls of their silo’s
and just roll the dice and spit in history’s face all over again.

worried

canopfor on July 22, 2007 at 8:40 PM

Thanks Michael (et al.)

AP is demoralised. So am I. Will this war lead to a stable pro-Western Iraq? Robert Spencer and Hugh Fitzgerald of Jihad Watch think it is fruitless because Islam has an in-built political system, namely sharia law. A lot of people argue that having troops in Iraq take out al-Qaeada is worthwhile in and of itself. I find it hard to disagree with that but I still wonder is democratisation compatabile in a country where the edicts of God (Allah) contradict freedom.

aengus on July 22, 2007 at 8:52 PM

worried

Yeah me too.

aengus on July 22, 2007 at 8:54 PM

Wait! Don’t crumble so soon!
Radical Islamofascism is like Ebola Hemmorragic Fever – it burns too hot and kills its host. Therefore it doesn’t spread as well as it first appears to – initially seeming to be unstoppable and apparently 100% contagious.
Jeez, even the ostreperous Somalis couldn’t take two weeks of sharia. The places that have had it, HATE it, throw it off the first chance they get. It’s the ignorant ones who don’t know what they’re in for that are suseptible.

naliaka on July 22, 2007 at 9:05 PM