Video: “Gen. Patton” on the war on terror, Harry Reid

posted at 4:14 pm on July 22, 2007 by Allahpundit

I hate crap like this but people on our side love it so here you go. It’s a retreat into fantasy: “If only Patton were still alive and we had the political will and weren’t so PC, we’d have already pacified Iraq through the sheer brains and balls of one of Uncle George’s tank offensives.” Different war, different time, different enemy, different manpower. Get over it.

Nice job with the George C. Scott impersonation, though.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

aengus – I share your worries about political Islam. However, I take solace in the fact that our own country was not the “utopia” it is today within the first few years of its inception. Baby steps, as they say. I still personally believe that including Islam as part of the Afghanistan and Iraqi constitutions was a huge mistake, however, again, I take solace in what I read of the military men and women tell of the relationships they are building with the Iraqi people, men, women and children. Those relationships are what will help form their future. Islamic leaders will not be able to brainwash people who have seen the kindness and caring and charity and sacrifice of Americans first hand.

And that is the overall goal. We need to break through the propaganda and ignorance of the Middle East and show them our culture and show them our caring and kindheartedness and sacrifice. In the long run, this knowledge and learning of the West will shed them of their ignorant and learned hatred for all non-Muslims.

Is this a pipe-dream? Maybe. Is it worthwhile to try. Absolutely.

Just as Rush says that Conservatives are people who have faith in the individual person to succeed, so must we as Americans in general have faith that Arabs/Muslims/Middle Easterners can succeed if we give them a chance by helping them rid themselves of centuries of oppression and dictatorship and 7th Century thinking.

We really need to put this into historical perspective here. We are not simply going into the country America – Middle East Edition and ridding a bunch of Americans of a dictator they could not overthrow themselves and then presto-chango, peace and freedom and liberty abound. No, we are dealing with a completely different culture and completely different mindset which has never experienced anything close to the liberty and freedom and prosperity that we here in America have been enjoying for decades.

We must have patience and faith. In both our military men and women and in the Iraqi people. This was never going to happen overnight. I think the reason people have gotten “tired” of the war is because they were not prepared for the effort it was going to take, because they did not put this into historical perspective and in the context of changing an entire culture of the Middle East.

We must have patience to see this through.

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Absolutely loved it! Two days ago I posted a parody of this famous movie scene except with respect to AP suggesting he might not even vote. http://hotair.com/archives/2007/07/19/video-romney-rips-obama-over-sex-ed-for-kindergarteners/

Sure, we don’t have men like Patton today, well we do, but they are not allowed in the military. But that is no reason to diss this video or the sentiments expressed. I find that curious.

Indeed, the fact they we do not have a Patton today, is every reason to love this video, for it sends the message that so many need to hear, not on this blog so much, but in the general population that may have forgotten one of the greatest men in American history and how his words D-Day apply today. Those words, made immortal by a Hollywood actor, need to be listened to, and heeded. I can’t think of anything more appropriate at the crossroads we are at.

jihadwatcher on July 22, 2007 at 9:10 PM

dustoffmom on July 22, 2007 at 7:46 PM

and same handle with a few more times,

I wanted to write to you, and a few others, to just put the broom away today/tonight, lest you’ll suffer health-wise, but my pen, if not known, cuts deep sometimes and I prefer to use it on the political and real enemies.

First, please thank your relations sincerely for their service. They are all better than us and are fighting while we sit here and pontificate, all of us.

Second, as already mentioned, you did misinterpret quite a bit and need to rethink in quiet, and preferrably consider that what’s posted never, ever, goes away.

Third, as always, why not leave those threads you disagree with?; just skip them and move on.

Fourth, if this site bugs you so much why return? There is MM’s blog, the milblogs, and so many others you might fancy. No one, but no one, thank goodness, forces us to come by, to read, or to comment.

Fifth, AP needs to be loved/appreciated/admired/ribbed the way he is. Again, you can also leave the thread, or the site. He’s a complex personality and I’d hate it if he or others would idiotically agree with me all the time. I’d also hate to agree myself with all others, all the time, even here. In fact, I miss the trolls when they disappear or get banned.

Sixth, none of us, self included, have focused on the challenge

Let’s figure out a way to win within the parameters we have

Seventh, I don’t agree with AP, or others sometimes. Other times some topics are boring or uninteresting to me. No matter, I move on. Also, it’s in the how we express that disagreement. Remember, we are all visiting here and free to leave the ‘party’ at any time.

Having said all that, we don’t have any inspiring leaders, on both sides, including, and especially not, the running candidates. I’m looking for someone, not Patton or Reagan, to inspire the country, not just a party. Unfortunately the parties are so ossified for the primaries that it prevents such.

Also, communication and the lack thereof from the W.H. has been abysmal. Those who communicate well (Gen. Pace) get to be retired involuntarily. All this leads to depression, were it not for the realization that much will happen soon, good and bad, to wake us up.

Much of our discontent is because we simply have it too good. That also goes for our commenting here.

And do not miss Michael Ton’s excellent postings.

dustoffmom on July 22, 2007 at 8:19 PM

I believe you meant Michael Yon. Respectfully,

Entelechy on July 22, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Do you miss me Entelechy?

JaHerer22 on July 22, 2007 at 10:04 PM

Do you miss me Entelechy?

Heh

aengus on July 22, 2007 at 10:09 PM

naliaka & michael MI,

I’m so with you on your posts…I take comfort & inspiration that that ‘intellectual thread’ of our ancestors can continue to this day.

I admire these people – Patton, Churchill, at al – who suffered through troubles with bosses & the public while standing up for what’s right. It’s a tough job, and I don’t envy people who take on those public roles.

That’s not to say we can’t take on more private roles that accomplish the same tasks. If we do nothing else, being aware citizens is a vital job. We can all participate in making a difference.

Those in History with the courage to fight for their freedoms give us the hope and faith that we need to continue that struggle.

Thanks for your posts…good to see others who know so much about Patton.

Miss_Anthrope on July 22, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Do you miss me Entelechy?

JaHerer22 on July 22, 2007 at 10:04 PM

Indeed, I do; though, mostly you ignore me. Still, I find the threads way more interesting when not all agree most of the time.

Where and how have you been? Don’t answer if you don’t feel like it. Just trying to be nice to a troll :)

Glad you’re still here, sincerely. Watch someone who doesn’t know better call me a troll or a kosack. Regards,

Entelechy on July 22, 2007 at 10:15 PM

JaHerer22 on July 22, 2007 at 10:04 PM

I’ll echo Entelechy’s question: whereyabeen?

I don’t always agree with you, but most of the time your comments raised interesting questions.

Slublog on July 22, 2007 at 10:17 PM

Miss_Anthrope on July 22, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Exactly, Miss_Anthrope. This is something that I try to remember each time that I start to lose hope or lose motivation. We all can make a small difference. Just look at how Michelle Malkin.com and HotAir.com make such a difference. And look at how the Military Blogs have made such a difference, after starting out so small and unknown just a few years ago. I have turned on my friends, coworkers and my MySpace ‘friends’ to the MilBlogs and it has made a world of difference to them to be opened up to that community.

I even had a coworker tell me that I had changed her life in turning her on to some article I had read on a military blog. I felt she was being a bit melodramatic, but she was actually sincere. She was so glad to be opened up to a new perspective on things.

Every little bit helps. People feed off of us and how we present ourselves and our attitudes, even when we do not realize it. And then when we befriend more people like this, we have them there when we are losing faith a little and they pick us up.

Every little bit helps. :)

Thank you for your posts too, Miss_Anthrope. Sometimes I worry about posting comments, because my attitude tends to get dumped on a lot. It is good to know there are other people out there who appreciate the inspiration of our past leaders and work to inspire others today.

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Getting a few necessary points across in an entertaining way against an infinity of interesting competitors?

Not bad at all.

Sounds like HA.

Get over it.

profitsbeard on July 22, 2007 at 10:33 PM

profitsbeard, you’re such a wise owl. Been meaning to convey to you how much I like your comments, often.

Entelechy on July 22, 2007 at 10:36 PM

I wanted to write to you, and a few others, to just put the broom away today/tonight, lest you’ll suffer health-wise, but my pen, if not known, cuts deep sometimes and I prefer to use it on the political and real enemies…

Entelechy on July 22, 2007 at 9:31 PM

LOL. No really. I really laughed out loud. Uh, what to say? Perchance thou seeth yourselfth asth some sort o’….whatever. Good grief-get over yourself man…or at least, disclose your self-importance to us all…so that we may….(what the h**l causes some to think that way about themselves?), uh…Good grief says it best…

JWS on July 22, 2007 at 10:40 PM

Can someone please send this to President Bush?

CrazyFool on July 22, 2007 at 10:45 PM

JWS, thou doeth not know the lady – she’s as important as the tiniest speck of dust (note, not sand, but dust). Self-deprecation and deflating mine and others’ egos/significance is one of her specialties. Now, get down to Earth, before you’ll appear to be too important.

Respectfully still,

Entelechy on July 22, 2007 at 10:54 PM

Also, JWS et all, note that I never disagreed with the video. I’m a great admirer of Gen. Patton (still sorry he didn’t get to march on and free the part of the world I grew up in communism) and Messrs Churchill and Reagan.

Entelechy on July 22, 2007 at 10:59 PM

Ya’ll might appreciate now the dilemma Scipio Africanus had when tasked with the HUGE job of defeating Hannibal – who’d rampaged through the Italian penninsula for more than a decade, unstoppable. Scipio’s own father had almost been taken by Hannibal, the general only just saved – by his 17 year old son, Scipio in a daring and bold rescue.
The Roman Senate, astonished and amazed at the military gifts of the young Scipio, bestowed on him perhaps the world’ most daunting job at the time, liberate Italy from the world’s most feared general, sent out by Rome’s enemy, Carthage.
What an honor, a task, a responsibility to put on one man – a task that the generals and armies of Rome had so far failed to accomplish. Scipio accepted and then presented the Senate with a list of what he needed for the job. Somewhere between the cheers and the accolades and the financing the Senators got together and began to think. They thought, what if Scipio uses the money and resources to conquer Rome and make himself ruler, instead?
Scipio got the job and the responsibility, but the Roman Senate refused to authorize the funds and equipment he needed. He was going to have to do it on his own.
Scipio had determined that in order to defeat Hannibal, he was going to need a cavalry, but Rome wasn’t going to give him a one red dinarius to establish one, even to defeat Rome’s worst threat and worst enemy.
So, Senate funding schenanigans of the troops have a loooooong and ignoble history.
Scipio came up with one of the most ingenious schemes ever concocted to establish a top-notch, fully equipped cavalry at no cost to himself or to Rome.

naliaka on July 22, 2007 at 11:09 PM

Allah, you are wrong on this one. This is exactly what the American people need to hear, not the mamby-pamby PC bullcrap that comes from the lips of our current politicians and generals we have today.

Helloyawl on July 22, 2007 at 11:36 PM

We don’t need to ‘get over’ being reminded where we come from.
We don’t need to ‘get over’ being reminded where we are.
We don’t need to ‘get over’ the idea that we need to remember. That we need to effect change. That a good talking to, or a good slap upside the head is good every once in a while. ‘Getting over’ the good old days is how we got to this point.

TinMan13 on July 23, 2007 at 12:03 AM

FYI. At Youtube for this Patton video, there is an interesting video response titled “Baseball, Football and War” that provides an analogy to baseball, football, WW II and the WOT (WW III).

synycalwon on July 23, 2007 at 12:06 AM

Get over it?

Have you read “the Art of War”? This book is hundreds of years old, yet it is still widely read by soldiers and generals. Why? Maybe they should just get over it?

It is still read because no matter the time, the political winds blowing, the war being fought, or the manpower being imposed; it contains central truths of war.

War is War. It matters not the war, the time of that war or the size of that war. You fight dirty. You fight to kill. You use deception. You turn your enemies friends into their enemies. You destroy their morale. You destroy their supply lines. You deny them safe harbors. You do these things better, faster and with more skill than your enemy and you continue to do them until their women wail in despair. Until your enemy understands and accepts defeat. You impose your will, your beliefs, and your culture on the defeated. You do these things and you obtain victory. If you do not and show compassion during the battle than you allow your enemy to kill you or escape to fight another day.

It is the liberal view of war that has been shown not work and to prolong the war. They are the ones that need to “get over it” and let our soldiers fight the damn war.

unseen on July 23, 2007 at 12:07 AM

LOL – I Love It! More Please!

Love the points made, the presentation, the humor, the post. AP doesn’t seem to understand that the many agree with this method of dealing with the likes of Iran, and how much grief the likes of Patton can save – when let out of their cage.

omegaram on July 23, 2007 at 12:10 AM

“This political correctness stuff is a bunch of crap! This generation is so spoiled and lazy they wouldn’t know a real threat to their freedom until it interrupted the power source to their XBox and killed half a million people!”

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan Gandy on July 23, 2007 at 12:13 AM

naliaka, great story – why leave us guess? :)

One anecdote tells of how Scipio pressed into service several hundred Sicilian nobles to create a cavalry force. The Sicilians were quite opposed to this servitude to a foreign occupier (Sicily being under Roman control only since the First Punic War), and protested vigorously. Scipio assented to their exemption from service providing they pay for a horse, equipment, and a replacement rider for the Roman Army. In this way, Scipio created a trained nucleus of cavalry for his African campaign.

Entelechy on July 23, 2007 at 12:16 AM

Entelechy on July 22, 2007 at 10:59 PM

Still laughing. But you can be “the man” if you want. It’s ok..goeth oneth and dazzeleth useth, or, uh…sorry, still laughing…seriously, it’s ok…

JWS on July 23, 2007 at 12:21 AM

Patton’s not coming back and neither is the culture in which he flourished

Obviously, Patton is not coming back. But if some reasonable facsimile of that culture doesn’t come back, and soon, we’re dead meat.

I’m not sure how big the next hit has to be to wake us, but I’m afraid it’s going to have to be bigger than I care to contemplate.

ShoreMark on July 23, 2007 at 12:25 AM

…until their women wail in despair.

unseen on July 23, 2007 at 12:07 AM

What a terrible and barbaric thing to say, Unseen!

Just kidding. I was just parroting what seems to be the modern American ethos, as absurd as it is.

My post above had a similar theme regarding the natural laws of warfare, as I called it. I think we have similar personal philosophies, based on past threads about various topics as well as this one.

FloatingRock on July 23, 2007 at 12:27 AM

Entelechy on July 23, 2007 at 12:16 AM
Ha! Yes!
What the Wikipedia entry doesn’t mention is the manner by which Scipio caught the Sicilians. He walked in with 300 of his best fighting men set aside and told them, “Just wait.” He then ordered the nobles (sons) of Sicily to report to service, horse, weapons, the Works. Once assembled, he made his inspection of the unwilling but obedient Sicilian riders, then asked if anyone didn’t want to go to Africa to fight Hannibal. One fellow finally raised his hand. Scipio considered him, then said, “Tell you what, if you can find a man to replace you, equipe him with your weapons and horse and train him to use them, you can stay.” The astonished man instantly agreed, then before he could scamper off to find himself a man, Scipio offered, “I just so happen to have a chap right over here who could substitute for you, if you take on the rest of it.” By this, Scipio replaced the entire group of Scilians with his own soldiers, who were then trained enthusiastically by the nobles in the use of their new horses and weapons.
Wikipedia just doesn’t really do the man justice!

naliaka on July 23, 2007 at 12:36 AM

FloatingRock on July 23, 2007 at 12:27 AM
Yes, I do agree with some of your posts but as far as this post I agree it is terrible and barbaric to say but it is what is needed to obtain victory.

The people that think you can fight a “civilized” war with rules of engagement and lawyers are to me the real barbarians. They do nothing to bring quick, decisive wins and everything to prolong the sufferring of the war zone. Every death in Iraq is now on their heads. If not for the “peace activists” and the “pull out now” people the war would have been over in 2003.

There is a time for peace and a time for war. We should not confuse the two. Because then you get neither peace nor war but a long nasty bloody period of choas.

And yes it is usally the women of a society that are the first to sue for peace when defeat is plainly seen. They are the ones that try to save what can be saved and to rebuild what has been lost when faced with the heartache of defeat. The men, like the stupid beasts we are, are usally the ones that want to fight to the last man.

unseen on July 23, 2007 at 12:39 AM

Quit being so thin-skinned, people.

Allahpundit’s snarky pessimistic contrarianism is one of the main draws of this site for me, and I can’t imagine I’m alone in that. If I happen to disagree with him on something, I just laugh at him, I don’t wail to the heavens that it’s an outrage.

sandberg on July 23, 2007 at 12:55 AM

naliaka on July 23, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Great story naliaka – you can update Wikipedia to give him justice. I know it’s not accurate or complete, as it is updated by amateurs – gave me an answer quickly…as you left me curious :)

Entelechy on July 23, 2007 at 1:02 AM

unseen on July 23, 2007 at 12:39 AM

The case of Sierra Leone illustates this perfectly. Long, drawn out civil war, foreign agents sponsored by thugs with ties to terror organizations. WIth UN meddling, no decisive victory was possible. The conflict ran on for years. Desperate Sierra Leoneans begged for arms from the UN for their people to fight against killer vandalistic rebels, were rebuffed by the International AId Agencies so they hired SOuth African mercenaries who kept the rebels at bay and restored order. THe UN pressured the government to end the contract and offered UN peacekeepers instead. The 500 peacekeepers, less adept and motivated than 100 Executive Solutions mercenaries were captured by the rebels! Stupid policies of naive UN bureaucrats told Sierra Leone to accept the murderous rebel leader Foday Sanko into the government, but the Sierra Leonians couldn’t abide that travesty very long. AN irate Sanko ordered his rebels into the capital to cut off people’s hands or arms (Long sleeve or short sleeve they called it).
On and on it went, people were killed, the country stagnant, unable to produce anything while chaos ruled. It wasn’t until the British finally sent in 600 troops and defeated Sanko, did it end. 600 troops and the country was restored to order. It didn’t take much at all. The armed rebels (as in weapons) could push around the unarmed (weapons and extremities) villagers, but they were no match at all for trained soldiers. Peace Through Victory is not just a slogan, it’s true.

naliaka on July 23, 2007 at 1:08 AM

I feel a foot taller and 30 years younger………

Nelsa on July 23, 2007 at 1:13 AM

Entelechy on July 23, 2007 at 1:02 AM
This is the book you want – and anyone else who’s interested: Scipio Africanus, Greater than Napoleon
Includes a lot of interesting commentary by the author about the peculiar attraction for the great LOSERS of history, we hear about Napoleon, but not much about Wellington; Hannibal, but not Scipio.
And to read how petty and annoyingly short-sighted the Senate was, even in the face of conquest by Carthage, helps put our current situation into some perspective – and to learn that others found ways to get around the roadblocks.
Enjoy!

naliaka on July 23, 2007 at 1:16 AM

naliaka on July 23, 2007 at 1:08 AM

Couldn’t agree more. there are many such examples throughout history on every continent, including every race.

Complete and total victory brings complete and total peace. The defeated may not like the terms of that peace but there is peace.

unseen on July 23, 2007 at 1:23 AM

Well, I certainly appreciated the red meat. ;-) But now it is time to face reality again.

The best that President Bush can do now is prosecute the war the most competent way he can, and for the GOP to watch his back (that is, keep funding the troops and stopping any impeachment proceedings) until his term expires in 2009.

Its a tall order. But it has to be done. American security has to come before political posturing.

itzWicks on July 23, 2007 at 2:19 AM

Mike Kaminski (the prodigious talent behind this video) did a great job on the voice and the spirit, but realistically it’s six minutes too long.

ScottMcC on July 23, 2007 at 2:37 AM

>>>>>wanted to write to you, and a few others, to just put the broom away today/tonight, lest you’ll suffer health-wise, but my pen, if not known, cuts deep sometimes and I prefer to use it on the political and real enemies…

Entelechy on July 22, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Put the broom away? Is that a ‘sly’ reference to my username? You idiot! It’s got nothing to do with cleanliness…..my daughter was a flight medic on a US Army DUSTOFF chopper based at Ft. Bragg. I gave no attention to the rest of your long and silly post, but had to make this correction. And yes, of course I meant Michael YON….sorry for the typo.

dustoffmom on July 23, 2007 at 7:26 AM

Sorry Allah, but really, you have been becoming very defeatist in your approach to these things. It is not a pipe dream to think of a tougher America. I’m sure many thought like you post-Vietnam, where we thought our armed forces were down, that we had a weenie for a president, and that the current conflicts we were facing were unbeatable old hat.

Then along came Reagan…(Reagan Reagan)

You can’t submit. If you don’t hold on to what you believe real patriotism and pride are, then you will never have them. Ever.

MadisonConservative on July 23, 2007 at 8:06 AM

Allah did not insult Patton, or the readers here. He simply gives vent once again to a perplexing negativity that I remember remarking about on his first blog, several years ago.

I’m not sure but I think he sees the younger generation through the lens of NYC stupidity. If you’re always walking behind an elephant, you think the whole world smells like ass.

But he’s wrong about the younger generation. Don’t be fooled, Allah. There’s a lot of great kids with a lot of heart and common sense out there, raised by good parents to be good people.

I’d recommend a tour of Parris Island, but I don’t think anything can cut through your veil. I’m starting to think you’re just one of those persistent malcontents.

lauraw on July 23, 2007 at 8:09 AM

I’m with Allah on this one. Basically, I was gonna say something else but Scott sums it up perfectly:

ScottMcC on July 23, 2007 at 2:37 AM

Aylios on July 23, 2007 at 9:44 AM

Give AP credit. At least it was posted.

Thanks.

Did you notice one of the Monday morning newslinks with the story-poll about AP and MSNBC leaning to the left? Does MM know about this?

saved on July 23, 2007 at 10:22 AM

Interestingly, for these times, Patton started his military career under General Pershing – Black Jack Pershing – part of what is known as Pershing’s Punitive Expedition into Mexico – fighting against the Mexican bandit Pancho Villa, who had been responsible, among other things, for the abduction and summary execution of 16 American mining engineers at Santa Ysabel. Villa had begun attacking Americans in retaliation for American support for the Carranza government. In fact Patton was responsible for the killing of Gen Julio Cardenas, the head of Villa’s Dorados – Villa’s personal bodyguards in 1916.

ref:Carlos D’Estes: Patton, A Genius for War.

naliaka on July 23, 2007 at 10:33 AM

Could someone email me the video, I cannot open it.

Sven on July 23, 2007 at 11:12 AM

This is a great tribute and should not be frowned upon. Only the jaded would do so.

tomas on July 23, 2007 at 12:53 PM

There’s a great book called “I Was With Patton” — it’s a collection of letters and clips from autobiographies written by the men (and some nurses and Red Cross girls) who fought with him. Starts out west where they trained in the desert before the war, and goes all the way from Northern Africa up through Europe. Great read.

I have to agree tho, that he couldn’t function in our military the way it is now. I don’t think many old school military men could. He was too much of a loose cannon. Which is exactly why he won so much, and why his men worshipped him — but it’d get him courtmartialed now. Even if the military managed to turn a blind eye, the press would never allow it.

Tanya on July 23, 2007 at 12:59 PM

I think like Reagan, he would make fools out of them.

tomas on July 23, 2007 at 1:12 PM

To kill the spirit of it’s attempt and deny the underlying feelings of truth it puts forth is just plain ignorant. It’s a comedy parody by a voice over comedian of great skill. It was supposed to be a parody.

Everything of greatness is a retreat into fantasy. Even getting an iPhone from Michelle. When you stop doing that just lay down and die because you would no longer be alive inside. We all have our heros that attempt to inspire the best in us. To dismiss this pursuit is pretty much standing against everything America ever stood for. Just consider that. Hero worship and the “fantasy” of being great has spawned greatness and is the one of the cores of USA’s soul.

Egfrow on July 23, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Yeah we don’t want to nuke Mecca (training facility).
We don’t want to blow up the mosques (training facilities).
We don’t want to target imams (military leaders).
We don’t want to go after the other countries that fund the terrorism.
Lets just be nice and win their hearts and minds.
Screw that, they will beg to give us their hearts and minds after we kill enough of them.
Meanwhile our guys get picked off one by one because we are to PC to kick a$$ like we mean it!

Gooch on July 23, 2007 at 1:44 PM

Quit being so thin-skinned, people.

sandberg on July 23, 2007 at 12:55 AM

Snark and pessimism I can deal with. Allah almost went nutroots-martyrdom-depression-complex on us. I mean come on man, its freaking Patton 2.0!

Methinks this is just another slight hint to MM that she should get him an iPhone.

BKennedy on July 23, 2007 at 1:46 PM

So true…

AlexB on July 23, 2007 at 1:48 PM

I have said it before, will say it again:

George Patton would never have understood:

Korea, Vietnam, Iraq.

navy1946 on July 23, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Be afraid Harry traitor Reed ,General Pattons a coming to slap the taste out of your cowardly yellow bellied mouth.

You traitorous anti American pos in congress better hope he doesn’t bring any friends with him Macarthur, Stone Wall Jackson and Blackjack Perishing or cspan will look like Monday night raw. And what ya going to do Mr. Reed when General George Washington is running wild on you ohhhhhhhhhhhh yeah!

Mojack420 on July 23, 2007 at 1:58 PM

see-dubya on July 22, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Then, Patton could talk like he did. Nowadays a real general talking like Patton would be fired. The contrast is instructive, if demoralizing.

Also very true.

Wow, I’ve just read the comments and people really don’t like AP’s comments.

AP, don’t forget who your readership is. Many people are not metro or cosmopolitan from NYC, and so, might not appreciate the language.

AlexB on July 23, 2007 at 2:03 PM

AlexB on July 23, 2007 at 2:03 PM

Just to finish the thought:

… though I agree with the original post completely.

AlexB on July 23, 2007 at 2:05 PM

naliaka and Tanya, thank you for the great book recommendations.

dustoffmom on July 23, 2007 at 7:26 AM

I never referred to your handle, nor did I pay attention to what it is – I referred to some of you riding self-righteously on a broom (tone, not what you said but how).

Calling others “idiots” solves everything, every single time. Nice!

I still respect your freedom to be as you like. It might be an honor to be insulted by you.

Entelechy on July 23, 2007 at 2:14 PM

bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha

but my dear one, you are an idiot……yup, I am amused by an almost flame/blog war!

dustoffmom on July 23, 2007 at 2:19 PM

If it makes you happy,

Entelechy, the HA-idiot

Entelechy on July 23, 2007 at 2:28 PM

“Get over it”. Don’t like the video, don’t like the Patton persona? Don’t like Americana heroes? Well AP the rest of us don’t think that way.

But at least you kind of know how some of us feel about the 27 year old teenage obsession crap with the View and broke back gay videos.

Patton was a student of wars fought a thousand years before he was born. He was able to adapt with brutal intellect and determination, and win. Or simply put, nice display of historical ignorance AP. Someone else already pointed it out but Duya Patton did come close to being fired. Geeze public education…

Timber Wolf on July 23, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Andy Rooney, who covered Patton during the war said he didn’t like him. He thought Patton was a bad man. What else is there to say?

dingbat on July 23, 2007 at 4:09 PM

Why does everytone think AP is 27?

AlexB on July 23, 2007 at 4:15 PM

George Patton would never have understood:

Korea, Vietnam, Iraq.

navy1946 on July 23, 2007 at 1:54 PM

I agree. Patton was a warrior not a diplomat. He wouldn’t have understood the concept of proxy-war, and given the opportunity, would have gone straight for the heart of the enemy, which is never located within the proxy country.

General Petraeus may be capable of doing the same but he’s constrained just as Patton would be if he were somehow still around today.

FloatingRock on July 23, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Why does everytone think AP is 27?

Hm. A lot of his references are to stuff from the 1980s which would seem to put him in the 27-33 age category imo. The 1980s mini-revival on the radio, television etc. is meant to cater to this demographic. Just speculation on my part though.

aengus on July 23, 2007 at 4:44 PM

aengus on July 23, 2007 at 4:44 PM

Ah.

I was pretty surprised at 27. My guess is 35-ish.

AlexB on July 23, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Today, any Patton would never get past Colonel. You need to be a politican to get to General. Any Patton would be on trial and definitely not promoted by Johnson, I mean Bush.

Good voice, but a bit too long.

chris00nj on July 23, 2007 at 5:13 PM

If it makes you happy,

Entelechy, the HA-idiot

Entelechy on July 23, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Um, no. There are a few trolls around these parts better suited for HA-idiot title Entelechy. You’re spiffy, and I’d gladly full-nelson anyone who says otherwise ’til they cry uncle ;)

SilverStar830 on July 23, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Patton’s not coming back and neither is the culture in which he flourished, and there’s no telling how his strategies would have worked against an unconventional force in an unconventional theater in any case.

Allahpundit:

Patton was not a man of his time, so much as a man of the ages. Forgive the appearance of melodrama for a moment. He understood history, weaving a thread from the Peloponnesian Wars, to the Romans, the Carthegians, the Middle Ages, Frederick the Great, Napolean, and into his own time. He had an understanding of human nature and the conflicts between nations, which over time provided lessons his own, and indeed for our own.

Patton might be fuming at the scrutiny of the press, far more aggressive than even in his own time. He might be initially put off by the lack of emphasis on ground conflict, and would wince at the thought of “digging in” while the insurgency was far more adaptable. (He scoffed at the Maginot Line, remember?) But he would learn from studying his enemy, and he would adapt — just as he had in the previous lives he claimed to have lived.

manwithblackhat on July 23, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Apparently Mark Lavin agrees with my assessment that Americans need to hear this speech and more like it. He is playing this on his show today. He played it at the beginning of the 1st hour and will play it again at he beginning of the 2nd hour.

Helloyawl on July 23, 2007 at 8:06 PM

I see there are several Patton-philes up there, who know this, but for others, who don’t and don’t realize that a lot of Patton folklore is denigrations passed on by the Elite Left who hated Patton, Patton was literally “on stage” when he spoke to the troops like that. He had what he called his “War Face” which he put on in public.
He was a General, but also an Actor. When he went in front of his men, whether in a huge gathering such as the Normandy “The Speech” or at 4 am in the morning, popping in unexpectedly in full spit and polish to check on some lonely forward post, he presented himself to his men with style and ATTITUDE to copy. They loved him for it. He breezed away their fear and pumped their courage. He rewarded inventiveness and initiative – always holding up individual soldiers to praise for a job well done.
He commented about what was necessary to take a bunch of nice guys, never been away from home, who loved their mommas and always did their chores and respected the law to go out to a foreign land, and put a rifle in their hands and teach them to kill the enemy. How to motivate men THE RIGHT WAY to get them to do a very tough and initially terrifying job without falling apart. How to MOTIVATE MEN. How to get MEN to function THROUGH their fear.
These are not the comments of a loose cannon, but a thoughtful man who had great responsibility and a fine sense of human nature and the nature of warfare. Patton was raised a Southern Gentleman, of the Virginia Military Tradition, well bred, well-read and very, very disciplined. His speeches before his men were bawdy, cheeky and profane, yet he never swore in front of women. He knew when to say what. He was the richest man in the US Army, had impeccable social manners, was an accomplished horseman, made 4th place in the 1912 Stockholm Olympics, had his uniforms customed tailored in London, but as a youth struggled through school, sometimes depairing of succeeding at anything because of his dyslexia.

naliaka on July 23, 2007 at 9:08 PM

Zell? Is that you Zell? Please come to the RNC next year again.

Dudley Smith on July 23, 2007 at 9:38 PM

Mark Levin started today’s show with this Patton Clip. Mark Levin Loved it!

Egfrow on July 23, 2007 at 9:59 PM

Patton’s qualities that we admire are his single minded determination and military skills he used to overcome all obstaces, foreign or domestic, in his desire to anallite the enemy.

Patton’s lack of diplomatic skill, unwillingness to work more harmonously within the Allied command, thirst for glory at the expense of his troops, and egocentric style were balanced with unstoppable determination for victory. He would not be allowed to exist in our current politically correct environment because our single biggest weakness, the Left, would destroy his position before he would be allowed to see action.

After a disaster or two, entirely probable if we have a democrat in the White House and majorities in both houses in the next election, a modern day equivalent of Patton may yet be unleashed on the enemy.

May we live to see the day.

omegaram on July 23, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Good Lord Allahpundit. No one…even the makers of this video, actually think Patton is coming back.

Can you not see that the idea here is remember the concept of straight forward, no bullshit thinking and action?

Look past the man and see the idea Allahpundit.

The kind of crap I don’t like is the kind of crap that comes from people who refuse to call a spade a spade.

Montana on July 24, 2007 at 3:38 PM

You guys do realize that this isn’t the actual General Patton, right? You know it’s a skit, right?

The fact that Allahpundit doesn’t like this particular piece of theater isn’t an attack against the real General Patton, nor is it an attack against the actual ideas that this skit is trying to convey. Yeesh.

sandberg on July 24, 2007 at 4:38 PM

You know it’s a skit, right?

You know this “skit” won an Academy Award for George C. Scott. It’s the opening to the movie Patton, also why it’s not six minutes too long. Loved every minute of it.

sibobr on July 24, 2007 at 8:45 PM

This was absolutely wonderful!
BRAVO!

TheSitRep on July 24, 2007 at 9:38 PM

sandberg on July 24, 2007 at 4:38 PM

Duuuuh. That’s not Patton? Thought it was incredibly precient of Gorgeous Georgie to have commented on the Islamoterrorism during “The Speech” before Normandy. He had said on numerous occasions that he was reincarnated …

naliaka on July 24, 2007 at 10:07 PM

I dont care want you think, Allah.

But this Naval officer thought it was freaking brillant.

We need to be in the face of those evil bastards (both of the code pink b!tches and the ilamofascist)

GREENTURTLE on July 24, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Patton, Count Dracula, Renfield, and Snow White together on the same thread. Wow!

{E}

RushBaby on July 24, 2007 at 11:44 PM

If this was edited down to a crisp 2:00-2:20 running time, more people would view it end-to-end. The goal here should be to have the producer of the vid get so many hits on YouTube that network TV news is packaging him up for the “And finally tonight” segments and the Estate of George C. Scott, Twentieth Century Fox, and Francis Ford Coppola are publicly jockeying for who sues him first…

…Until then, this vid is still six minutes too long.

ScottMcC on July 25, 2007 at 1:13 AM

I have a theory. During WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, the military only really took in the most healthy Americans. Over 2.3 million of them were killed. But what about the rejects, the 4-F’s? They stayed at home and reproduced in large numbers. Their children and grandchildren are now the majority of whinny liberals in this country.

Perhaps, if we had used the 4-F’s as combat troops first (or at least sterilized them), our country would be a better, more perfect place today. Just a random thought but explains a lot.

Wuptdo on July 25, 2007 at 1:55 PM

Maybe it’s not as funny as we think. Maybe, just maybe it’s what we really need. There was a time when Americans really swelled with pride when confronted with evil. Maybe, just maybe some of us still feel that way.

stanfil2 on July 25, 2007 at 6:45 PM