Sunday Stupid: The CNN/YouTube debate questions

posted at 9:26 pm on July 22, 2007 by Bryan

YouTube should post a sign at the top of the first page of questions submitted for Monday night’s debate: “Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.” The top secret team that’s sifting through the pile of questions, rants, false flag lobbying operations and statements dressed as questions must be cursing whoever came up with this idea. I went about 1100 videos in (out of about 2700 total) before concluding that the vast majority of people who submitted questions are a) very, very liberal and b) mostly ignorant or unconsciously self-parodying, c) self-important beyond reason and d) really, really have some problem or other with America. If it’s not racism or religiosity or our warmongerin’ ways, a huge majority of these people are just ticked off at this country about something.

Not all of the questions come out of left field, though. Here are some of the best and worst I came across.

This guy is literally a whiner.

Just a guess, but I guess this person doesn’t support the war in Iraq, and doesn’t see the irony inherent in what she’s advocating in this video:

Shooting tip: Don’t put the cue card above and to the right of the camera.

This guy’s clever question just might sneak into the real debate, if the CNN filters aren’t paying too much attention.

My name is Tim. I live in Vermont. But my I left my heart on Mars.

A false flag lobbyist ad. It looks way too professional.

Here’s another one that I hope sneaks past the CNN filters.

This guy sums up a few of my opinions.

I hate to compare any of these videos to hostage videos, I really do. But…

Is Al Gore still worried about all that ice?

My favorite. This question will never, ever get past the CNN filters. Which is too bad, because it’s a good one.

Comments

Man, this is even worse than a slush pile, innit? At least with a slush pile you can scan and toss quicker…

Chap on July 22, 2007 at 9:35 PM

Teehee @ first comment on Shelby’s video.

mythicknight on July 22, 2007 at 9:45 PM

Allahpundit – I was tough on you on the Patton blog, but this is an example of why I make HotAir a daily read. Great posting of the videos.

I especially liked the one about health care where he pointed out that 16 Million people can afford health insurance, but choose not to buy it. That is something that probably a majority of this country does not even know. Great question.

And I agree with the gentleman who wondered why we should believe anything coming from politicians after the Amnesty stuff and hiding earmarks, etc.

And the “Then What?” one was great too.

You know what would be interesting. Instead of having candidates hold townhalls across the country and then get up in front of people and blather on with all their rhetoric and such… how about have those townhalls all over the country, but this time, instead of the American people having to sit there listening to political blather, we have the candidate sit their butt down and give 60 seconds to each person at the townhall to walk on a little stage and present to the candidate what they want to see in their next President. And this will all be recorded so that they can take these home and understand what the American people want, instead THEM of telling US what we want.

Afterall, THEY serve US right?

Yes, I know, I can dream… but… this CNN/YouTube thing gave me the idea… so who knows… maybe I can suggest it to someone…

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 9:56 PM

I think I’m in love with Rachel from Durham, SC – great looking and probably a CCW holder.

Seriously though, the contrast between reality on which the well thought out questions from the more conservative vs the obviously warped reality on which the liberal’s questions are based is stark and frightening.

deepdiver on July 22, 2007 at 9:58 PM

Check the byline. Bryan wrote this.

Allahpundit on July 22, 2007 at 9:58 PM

OK, that health care question really just has to get in. It’s just too good. In my job as a Human Resource Director, I know just exactly how many people 1) choose to pass on the very very affordable group insurance plan, and 2) have no provisions or plans for saving anything. But they will have their McMansion, 2 luxury vehicles, a big-screen TV and the wife will have a 3-carat diamond.

reine.de.tout on July 22, 2007 at 10:00 PM

What’s the over/under on Taylor and Shelby making it in? And how exactly does modern mathetics express a snowball’s chance in a blast furnace?

ScottMcC on July 22, 2007 at 10:02 PM

Durham is in NC…please don’t saddle my home state of South Carolina with that cesspool called Durham. I’m surprised Rachel can live there.

SouthernGent on July 22, 2007 at 10:03 PM

Check the byline. Bryan wrote this.

Oops. Well, okay, first off, great post Bryan!

Second, these are the kinds of things for which I make HotAir a daily read: going above and beyond to do the research (or sifting through hundreds of videos) that the rest of us do not have the time to do. I hope that is taken as a compliment to both you and Bryan.

Michael in MI on July 22, 2007 at 10:04 PM

I ‘liked’ Mr. Whiner “rebuild the severed relationships with our enemies”…Duh! Who started this war? Some people just exist. Brain is like their tonsils or their appendix. And they whine, and whine…

Entelechy on July 22, 2007 at 10:10 PM

Durham is in NC…

SouthernGent on July 22, 2007 at 10:03 PM

DOH, I know that … SORRY! I claim temporary insanity due to Rachel.

deepdiver on July 22, 2007 at 10:15 PM

Man, what an interesting peek into the liberal perspective. Not the ususal more sinister liberalism we see on cable news, with all the pundits delvering hand-crafted talking points, but the actual idiots who take all that crap at face value. All of the videos I looked at leaned left. Everyone looked like they would die to have Al Gore walk over and pat them on the head. The worst part is, I can’t look away…

Dork B. on July 22, 2007 at 10:24 PM

Yikes, they come in all persuasions! Tim is really out there! UFO’s? Dude, come back down to earth! Gotta love those guys from Red State Update! And Rachel seems to have a little “firecracker” spirit going there! ;P

Seriously, some of this stuff is outright scary. The cognitive dissonance alone on some of these could make ones head explode!

synycalwon on July 22, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Ron Paul for democratic nomination !

/sorry couldnt resist

William Amos on July 22, 2007 at 11:08 PM

WoW! I like that Southern Bell!

Tim Burton on July 22, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Anybody honestly believe that CNN will allow any questions that really challenge St.Hill,Obama Hussain and the Breck Girl?

Or dose anyone think that the GOP will be given a fair shake by CNN when their debate come up?

I didn’t think so.

mlong on July 22, 2007 at 11:32 PM

I submitted a question.
Now I wish I hadn’t because I don’t like my question anymore.
Good news there is a 99.9% chance it won’t air.

terryannonline on July 22, 2007 at 11:36 PM

And these make a living and people vote?

oldernslower on July 22, 2007 at 11:43 PM

My mistake…obviously i didn’t watch all the vids before shooting my fingers off…a few do have good questions i admit, i liked ‘em.

oldernslower on July 22, 2007 at 11:56 PM

I spent way too long at redstateupdate.com yesterday. And as they say in the vernacular – “I don’t care who you are, that there’s funny.” Although there are weak vlogs, all the political stuff I saw was good.

And with the “false flag” vid, I think the kid just has a parent in the biz, since the pitch wasn’t clear. It could just as easily have been for massive increases in government spending or a pitch for vouchers.

And SouthernGent, I thought I read in a comment that you lived in Raleigh.

eeyore on July 22, 2007 at 11:56 PM

I’ve been watching the sample ones CNN are showing periodically and they are sad and funny. I think most of these people just want to have their 10 seconds of fame while CNN shows them in promos.

Good grief. At least I hope that explains it.

Rightwingsparkle on July 22, 2007 at 11:59 PM

Why do’nt I get any sound for the last 3 videos ?
Besides that, great post !

SIJ6141 on July 23, 2007 at 12:07 AM

SIJ6141,
Refresh the page and you will get the sound back.

terryannonline on July 23, 2007 at 12:08 AM

Sound is back.

SIJ6141 on July 23, 2007 at 12:09 AM

Bryan, I enjoyed this post, but how do ya’ll determine who gets the sh!t jobs like this one. Having to wade through tons of obvious left wing and just plain crappy videos to find the jewels ones you found? Did you draw short straw? ;:- P

abinitioadinfinitum on July 23, 2007 at 12:33 AM

Entelechy on July 22, 2007 at 10:10 PM

You can’t convince these people that the idea of the ‘Ugly American’ has been around the world almost since the Revolution. It kicked into overdrive in the last century.

bikermailman on July 23, 2007 at 12:37 AM

I submitted a question.
Now I wish I hadn’t because I don’t like my question anymore.
Good news there is a 99.9% chance it won’t air.

terryannonline on July 22, 2007 at 11:36 PM

OK, I’ll bite what was your question?
You really have me wondering now!

abinitioadinfinitum on July 23, 2007 at 12:39 AM

“My name is Tim. I live in Vermont.” Nothing good can ever follow these two sentences.

Oh, and Rachel’s question was great. What an insightful, intelligent, sensible, raven-haired, blue-eyed, ivory-skinned, uh, question…

AdrianG on July 23, 2007 at 12:41 AM

My name is Tim. I live in Vermont. But my I left my heart on Mars.

Haha, we’ve got all types up here. Oddly enough though, I’ve only heard of the “Disclosure Project” one time, and it wasn’t here… it was in Nashville from a dude from Mississippi. Anyway, “Disclosure Project” is some pretty idiotic stuff, don’t waste your time. Yeah, I’m talkin’ to you Casey!

Other than that, I have to say the anti-gun control broad was pretty cute… as was the liberal education girl… but when I watched that one I was expecting Chris Hansen to walk through my door any minute.

With that, I’ve given myself an opening to share one of my favorite parodies ever:

RightWinged on July 23, 2007 at 1:00 AM

Some of the uTube comments have no volume for some reason. Even at the site. Any clues?

From what I’ve observed so far, it a lot of whataya gonna do questions.

Now that the Simpson’s movie is almost here, I have nothing else to want.

Kini on July 23, 2007 at 1:00 AM

Kini on July 23, 2007 at 1:00 AM
Some of the uTube comments have no volume for some reason.

Same here, must be a bug. Refresh the page to get the sound back.

synycalwon on July 23, 2007 at 1:11 AM

Ya, I thought the same about Rachel, but then I checked out the rest of her vids. Is it just me, or is she a Paulian?

safarial on July 23, 2007 at 1:56 AM

Bircheresque Crank Fan or not, I vote for a new Rachel to take a permanent seat at the RedEye table next to Schulz.

Think about it: Any woman that would wear a Renaissance Fair getup and a parrot on her shoulder on YouTube obviously has the balls to crack Schulz’s poofy-headed skull a nanosecond after he rolls his eyes and tries to belittle her comment as the raving of a Birchersque Crank.

Nice. Very nice.

ScottMcC on July 23, 2007 at 2:06 AM

Hi, I’m Mike Whiner, How are you gonna rid me of my Sally Field foreign policy complex?

Teddy on July 23, 2007 at 4:36 AM

I clicked over and the very first questions was, “How are you going to keep the internet ‘neutral’?”

Abandon all hope, indeed.

Lehosh on July 23, 2007 at 6:22 AM

Is it just me, or is she a Paulian?

It’s not just you. How very, very sad.

Bryan on July 23, 2007 at 9:08 AM

In the age of the internet,who needs representative democracy and a permanent real-time legislature? The stock exchange, for the most part, is cyber. Seems time for the government to do the same. Shoot me a weekly email to my iphone with a list of issues. I’ll vote and get it right back to you, along with some shots of the kids.

JiangxiDad on July 23, 2007 at 10:39 AM

abinitioadinfinitum,
Here is my question.

terryannonline on July 23, 2007 at 10:41 AM

abinitioadinfinitum,
Here is my question.

terryannonline

Ah, Terry, to be young and innocent. How truly lovely.

JiangxiDad on July 23, 2007 at 10:46 AM

SouthernGent on July 22, 2007 at 10:03 PM

Um, SouthernGent, our beloved Mary Katharine is from Durham. I feel for you man if she finds out you’ve dissed her hood.

BacaDog on July 23, 2007 at 11:17 AM

abinitioadinfinitum,
Here is my question.

terryannonline on July 23, 2007 at 10:41 AM

abinitioadinfinitum on July 23, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Just so you Ron Paul haters know, that last girl is the Ron Paul girl

libertytexan on July 23, 2007 at 12:57 PM

that last girl is the Ron Paul girl

hey, you know what they say about the crazy ones…

AdrianG on July 23, 2007 at 1:27 PM

Me think Mr. Whiner needs some Mr. Therapy or something.
“healing our relationships inside ourselves.”??? Too much Rosie for someone

PowWow on July 23, 2007 at 5:22 PM

How are we going to stop the craziness by healing the relationships inside of ourselves as well…

Pavlov would feel simultaneously vindicated and sickened. This is as bad as the hippy in ’92 telling Clinton that he and all Americans were their (the Clinton’s) children, and asking how he was going to take care of us.

Is it just me, or is there a woman’s voice at the beginning of that clip telling someone (presumably a child) to “Now shut it!”? Could be wrong, but if so, Whiner dude might begin doing some ‘healing’ at home instead of waiting for Nanny Sam to handle it.

Freelancer on July 23, 2007 at 6:14 PM

Freelancer on July 23, 2007 at 6:14 PM

I thought she was saying something sh*t

PowWow on July 23, 2007 at 6:48 PM