Video: Peter King rips the Democrats for voting against “John Doe”

posted at 12:34 pm on July 20, 2007 by Allahpundit

The House killed it in committee and then the Senate killed it on the floor. 57-39, three votes of the 60 needed. What happened to those anti-filibuster bromides and that snazzy “Let Us Vote” sign they were touting three days ago?

Lieberman’s in charge of the Senate committee and he’s sympathetic to the measure so King thinks there’s a chance they might be able to slip the provision back in before the conference committee. In the meantime, I’m warming up a plate of crow for my skepticism in December that the Dems would have the stones to oppose it. What happens now depends on how much noise we make about it, I guess. I’m not optimistic.

Exit question: Is there anyone on the Republican side who’s as gung ho for this measure as ED? Good lord.

Update: Reader Kralizec forwards the links to the House and Senate Homeland Security Committees, in case you’d like to reach out and touch someone. Tell them John Doe sent you.

Comments

Hill was breathing some fire, and rightfully so. This subject is going to haunt some of the Democrats. Shillary was wise to vote in favor.

forest on July 20, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Good job E.D. Keep pushing Congressman King.

Spirit of 1776 on July 20, 2007 at 12:42 PM

Can we sue the Dems for not protecting America?

JayHaw Phrenzie on July 20, 2007 at 12:43 PM

If this goes through, we can say goodbye to our Neighborhood Watch Programs.

pocomoco on July 20, 2007 at 12:52 PM

The failure of this bill has exacerbated the threat.

There will be a spate of dry runs orchestrated to elicit defensive measures by responsible Americans. Those of us who stand up, will be sued.

Many people around the country have faced criminal and civil suits for defending themselves at home.

People are going to be moved to stop soft threats with hard power. Was it a cop I heard say when thug breaks in to your house, “shoot to kill and make sure that the body lands on your side of the property line.”

The Race Card on July 20, 2007 at 12:53 PM

In the current climate that everyone is in,
isn’t it better to say something if you see
something.
And common sense says if it’s a false alarm
well then thank God.
And common sense says EVERYBODY SHOULD UNDERSTAND.
And when the DEMORCRAT LIBERALS vote against it,what new.

canopfor on July 20, 2007 at 12:55 PM

What has the country come to? The government has lost its’ way big time. The USA is starving for quality leadership to get out of the fog. I pitty the next generation.

Are there no Teddy Roosevelts left in the world? Or, do we get Hillarys and Obamas instead. Sad, sad, sad.

saiga on July 20, 2007 at 12:55 PM

I first became a fan of Michelle’s when I was flipping through channels and saw her promoting ‘In Defense of Internment’ at Berkeley. The liberals were screaming against any type of profiling on planes and naturally Michelle handled them beautifully.

It’s disgusting that we’re at the point where not only will we not profile people at airports, but if people raise valid concerns about other passengers, those people can be sued for trying to protect themselves.

So if you’re on a plane, and you have really valid concerns, what are your options? Do you tell the flight staff you don’t feel safe on this plane and want off?

Canadian Infidel on July 20, 2007 at 12:56 PM

I’m calling my (unfortunately) Senator Reid’s office and try to find out the roll call in the conference committee.
They should not be allowed to be anonymous.
Signed, Commercial pilot

fred5678 on July 20, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Can we sue the Dems for not protecting America?

JayHaw Phrenzie on July 20, 2007 at 12:43 PM

No because they as a soverign gubmint gave themselves blanket immunity, but you could try for the lawyers and CAIR.

steveegg on July 20, 2007 at 1:02 PM

All Lawyers just love this.

TheSitRep on July 20, 2007 at 1:04 PM

I think King nailed the real reason, it would be inline with Bush’s War on Terror. So rather than vote for the common good and protection of the American people, vote for BDS.

Meanwhile, rocket launchers are being found in Jersey City.

Kini on July 20, 2007 at 1:08 PM

Shortly after 9/11, I was at a sports bar where I compete in a pool league. Five M.E. looking men came in and rented a table close to where my team was. The language was very recognizable and it was apparent to me that they were trying to make their presence known. After about a 1/2 hour, one of them leaves and comes back in a few minutes later carrying a bulging fanny pack and placed it on the floor, adjacent to where they were shooting pool. They were laughing about something and became more boisterous. I asked the manager to keep an eye on them and why. They all left taking the fanny pack with them about an hour later. A rather tense 1 1/2 hours. Point being, this in itself is intimidation. An in your face, we can kill you if we want to. Regardless of any legislation that seeks to protect me from being sued for speaking out about suspicious behavior, I will continue to trust my own mind and instincts when it comes to my own safety and the safety of those I love and care about. And yes, that would include those that I don’t even know.

captivated_dem on July 20, 2007 at 1:17 PM

I just called Sen. Reid’s office to complain, they sent me to the Homeland Security Committee, and their representative said that the King amendment had NOT been voted on. It is still alive in the Homeland Security Committee. ?????

fred5678 on July 20, 2007 at 1:18 PM

Thank you, liberals. I’ll be thinking of you when I am at the funerals of family, friends, colleagues, etc. after the next attack that could have been prevented by a simple phone call.

What’s next? An ADA lawsuit to allow legally blind people to be employed as TSA screeners? After killing the “John Doe” legislation, it is just as if the above has happened.

Thank you, again.

I wonder how many representatives and senators are in the pocket of CAIR? Hmm. Don’t even try to tell me that they did not have a hand in this.

Tell me quickly, are their any patriotic lawyers that have the stones to take down CAIR for violating federal RICO statutes?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 20, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Liberals = the enemy within.

But, hey, we’ll all forget come election day.

jdawg on July 20, 2007 at 1:29 PM

Humble suggestion: tell your Senators and Representative that if the King amendment is not passed, you plan to call THEIR office and report to THEM any suspicious activity.
Let them get sued!

fred5678 on July 20, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 20, 2007 at 1:22 PM

I dont know, maybe we should ask Tommylotto

doriangrey on July 20, 2007 at 1:34 PM

Hillary’s vote was a no-brainer, unless she wanted to throw away NY if she happens to win the Democratic nod. Schumer actually voted for it, realizing his own political life depended on it as well.

Obama just didn’t think it was an important enough issue to ring in on. Preposterous. I depise Hilaary and all the Dems, but I take special exception to obama. Maty his Dem opponents crush him on that abstain, regardless of how many fundraisers Oprah throws him.

awake on July 20, 2007 at 1:37 PM

I’m sorry, but that hardly sounds like a threat to national security. This type of overreaction is the exact reason, this bill failed.

Maybe the fanny pack had a concealed weapon. Mine would. I might have gone out to my car too if I had some group of potentially drunk guys scoping me out looking for a fight…especially right after 9/11.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t mind a little man-dancing when theirs a worthy knucklehead spouting off. But it’s always prudent to have backup.

Homeland defense starts with each of us. Be suspicious, not ridiculous.

The Race Card on July 20, 2007 at 1:38 PM

Once again the Left shows us whose side they’re on in this war.

Tony737 on July 20, 2007 at 1:39 PM

The Race Card on July 20, 2007 at 1:38 PM

I disagree. Sounds like they were attempting something whether it was a confrontation or something along the lines of the flying imams.
Next door to my farm is a home that is rented by a group of muslims. They don’t live there. They just use the place for get togethers or something. On the night of 911 a large group of them assembled there. Some were obviously celebrating but others were clearly angry at the celebrants. I watched this go on for about an hour. Finally I went back inside and retrieved one of my rifles. I went back outside and put a few rounds well above their heads as a warning. They got the message. I get along with them just fine now. They know I watch them and the “celebrants” have not been seen there since. Sometimes you have to make a stand.

Guardian on July 20, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Can we sue the Dems for not protecting America Americans?

JayHaw Phrenzie on July 20, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Liberals do not hate America, they hate Americans.

On-my-soap-box on July 20, 2007 at 2:40 PM

P.S. That is why they work so hard to make sure they never escape the womb.

On-my-soap-box on July 20, 2007 at 2:41 PM

I agree Guardian,here’my little story.
I’m from the twin soo’s.Border town.
Soo Michigan on the south,Sault Canada on the north.
American,s control four locks,we control a small
vessel lock.
Shortly after 911,middle eastern men were checking out
or surveying the locks or bridge,or both.
The FBI were invovled checking these guys out.
They claimed they were sight seeing,YA OKAY.
Never heard anything about it again.

I do know that it would take it least a kiloton
or more to screw up the shipping of raw materials
to steel mills down south.

canopfor on July 20, 2007 at 2:42 PM

All Lawyers just love this.

TheSitRep on July 20, 2007 at 1:04 PM

Not this one.

Rick on July 20, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Emperor Misha of Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiller put it best:

I don’t care how much al-Qaeda is paying the Democrat Party, it’s one heck of a deal no matter what the price is.

So true….

CrazyFool on July 20, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Thanks for the hat-tip, Allah.

Kralizec on July 20, 2007 at 5:00 PM

yeah right.I’m gonna call my senators?

One just had what looked like a semi-drunken meltdown on the floor and the OTHER just proclaimed the Vietnames “re-education” camps as almost,but not QUITE “happy happy fun times” summer camps….

Blitz on July 20, 2007 at 6:14 PM

How will this affect reporting Illegal Aliens?

DfDeportation on July 20, 2007 at 7:08 PM

My sorry, sack of $hinola Congressman, Brad Miller, voted against this the first time. At first glance, I thought, “who could possibly vote against the legal protection somebody who reports a suspicious character on an airplane, train, bus, etc. after 9/11?” Then it came to me, somebody, like Brad Miller – a greedy trial lawyer who will take any side in a legal case, as long as it pays well. Trial lawyers don’t want to cut off any potential source of revenue, and so they use their colleagues in the House and Senate to make sure they can earn their outrageous fees doing whatever is unholy to go after the almighty dollar. Disgusting.

Abu Daboo Doo on July 20, 2007 at 7:10 PM

Blitz, I can kind of understand your pain. I have a Congressman who is a commie, but the two Senators are mostly harmless.

Abu Daboo Doo on July 20, 2007 at 7:11 PM

Problem #1: Too many trial lawyers
Problem #2: Lawyers are writing the laws
Any questions?

lsutiger on July 20, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Geez, the anchor needs to figure out how to ask a question, instead of going on and on, stating the obvious, with an occasional pause to let the guest comment on her comment. Give the guy a break, Peter King can be really effective if you actually let him speak.

JM Hanes on July 20, 2007 at 9:58 PM

But they love America and support the troops. Did anyone see/hear Gutfeld’s gregalogue Patriotic terrorists about a month ago. Spot on

PowWow on July 20, 2007 at 10:50 PM

Rep. King is right and the rest of Congress should be left out.

This is where the badgeless PC police seem to be able to trump the FBI, DOD, and all levels of law enforcement.

We need to find the PC police a nation they can protect, all by themselves. However, logic and history will prove this new nation to become a “Failed State” within a short period, as described by Samuel Hunington.

MSGTAS on July 21, 2007 at 11:05 AM