Video: The John Edwards Poverty Tour; Update: HuffPo commenters outrageously outraged

posted at 11:10 am on July 19, 2007 by Allahpundit

Via HuffPo. The jokes are obvious after the first nanosecond but it gets better as it goes. Mild content warning for a description of just how impoverished these Monsters Monsters Monsters of Poverty are.

Update: I am reliably informed by several readers that it’s worth your time to follow the comments at the link.

Comments

that was amazing. but they forgot to mention fat people!

AdrianG on July 19, 2007 at 11:14 AM

Are they serving ill-tempered Chilean Sea Bass?

seejanemom on July 19, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Socialist girly-man wants us ALL to be poor, equally. Except for HIM, of course.

Tony737 on July 19, 2007 at 11:16 AM

That really is a SCREAM.

seejanemom on July 19, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Whats even more funny is the whining by Edwards supporters in the HuffPo thread.
Great stuff indeed.

madne0 on July 19, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Ooops, wasn’t done yet. John, you gotta read “The Millionaire Nextdoor”.

To borrow from Triumph the Insult Dog:

“Look at you John, have you no shame?
You give poop, a bad name.

Go back up the butt, from whence you came,
you give poop, a bad name.”

Tony737 on July 19, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Best comment over there:

Americans are poor because we give all our wealth away to corporations and defense contractors.

Comedy Gold or Public education nightmare. Your choice…

sunny on July 19, 2007 at 11:22 AM

HAHAHAHA!!! That was great! Why didn’t WE come up with that?

Bad Candy on July 19, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Hilarious!

Clark1 on July 19, 2007 at 11:29 AM

Sponsored by …….

Don Perignon
Rolls Royce
De Beers
Rolex
Almas Caviar
Breck

fogw on July 19, 2007 at 11:29 AM

The pouting HuffPosters in the comments are great too!

Bad Candy on July 19, 2007 at 11:32 AM

I do believe that was the only time I’ve enjoyed reading something at Huffpoo. The comments are gold!

KelliD on July 19, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Will John Edwards visit me? I’m not poor or black, but both of my grandfathers were coal miners, and I’m on my way to becoming an old person.

that was amazing. but they forgot to mention fat people!

I’m rather bulky myself. Another reason for John Edwards to visit me!

Isn’t it interesting, though, that here in America, and just about nowhere else in the world, are lots of poor people who are fat? Obesity, in fact, is slightly more common among the poor than in the population overall.

Bigfoot on July 19, 2007 at 11:33 AM

hahaha

brak on July 19, 2007 at 11:37 AM

I don’t mean to be cold and come off as uncaring but when you are pushing 3 bills, you ain’t exactly poor and going to bed hungry. I volunteer at my church’s food back which gives food and supplies to people who need it. I think Edwards should look the worse in the eye, i.e. the mirror and do something more productive than flying from place to place for photo ops!

saltydogg14 on July 19, 2007 at 11:39 AM

SUNDAY!!!!

mojowire on July 19, 2007 at 11:40 AM

“Tickets available through Ticketmaster”

That pretty much precludes any of the poor from attending.

Jezla on July 19, 2007 at 11:41 AM

I wonder if he’ll take food stamps in lieu of cash for admittance?

Guardian on July 19, 2007 at 11:42 AM

I made the mistake of watching this while drinking coffee. Now I have to clean my monitor.

pilamaye on July 19, 2007 at 11:46 AM

Jezla on July 19, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Exactly. Now you’re gettin it.

apollyonbob on July 19, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Pure comment gold. They’re better than the video itself.

marc@hubsandspokes on July 19, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Uh oh. Somebody’s gonna get a phone call from Mrs. Pony…

Dork B. on July 19, 2007 at 11:58 AM

How about this comment from the astute razzberryjamin:

i am so utterly fed up with the likes of you…constantly making note of edwards and his wealth…honestly earned by helping those who had no voice… a man who wants to give back to a country that gave him the opportunity to become what he is today…

I’m with Bryan all the way.

MT on July 19, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Uh oh. Somebody’s gonna get a phone call from Mrs. Pony…

… and Elizabeth too.

fogw on July 19, 2007 at 12:03 PM

A comment sampler…

I implore you to remove this vile rubbish. It is not a bit funny and entirely unworthy of this organization. I come here for news and informed opinion, not biased info-tainment. The latter is already thick on the ground.

I’m sure that the Faux Noose and the Drudge (rhymes with grudge) must be furious that HuffPo outscooped them on this one. Is HuffPo trying to become a one-stop shopping place for neocons as well as those who still have a few functioning synapses?

Edwards actually does have a good chance of winning, but that’s no fun because it becomes a little too complicated for the media to have to report on THREE whole Democrats. Hence only negative publicity for Edwards. I don’t see how it’s so beyond comprehension that someone who earned their own fortune through legitimate work (the American dream?) could want to help disadvantaged people do the same. There’s been so much criticism for Edwards, but none for the innumerable idiots who’ve “earned” their fortune by inheriting it from daddy, who most likely made that money off of screwing everyone over in decades past. I’m so done with you, HuffPo!!

Slublog on July 19, 2007 at 12:13 PM

heh… my fave comment so far is from nicho:

And why don’t news stories mention George Bush’s 100,000 “ranch” in Paraguay, where he plans to escape to and live among the other beneficiaries of the Third Reich.

krakatoa on July 19, 2007 at 12:16 PM

HAHAHAHA!!! Now that’s a tasty Moonbat sampler! Goes great with this entree!

Bad Candy on July 19, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Said Entree is also a HuffPo piece.

Bad Candy on July 19, 2007 at 12:19 PM

HA! Off to Google in search of Secret Bush Paraguayan UFO Base and Nazi Cryogenics Lab.

Cuffy Meigs on July 19, 2007 at 12:30 PM

My favorite quote from that HuffPo thread:

Godwin’s Law. And triggered on an Edward’s thread, no less.

unamused on July 19, 2007 at 12:32 PM

krakatoa, I was just going to quote that. That comment made many things come into focus. The word *certifiable* comes to mind.
I also liked the comments comparing Adriana to Rush and HuffPo to Drudge.

PattyAnn on July 19, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Geez, those commenter’s @ Huffpo just slay me.

“I come here for news and informed opinion, not biased info-tainment.”

Yeah, informed opinion! Bwahahahahaha!!!!

JohnnyD on July 19, 2007 at 12:57 PM

Silky Parody + Hufftard Outrage = Crazy Delicious

Dork B. on July 19, 2007 at 12:59 PM

As part of the Poverty Tour, Edwards is going to let poor kids pet his silky hair. Five bucks buys your kid a minute of silkiness heaven.

Zach on July 19, 2007 at 1:05 PM

That and the comments are rich indeed!

SouthernGent on July 19, 2007 at 1:08 PM

ANd libs say we have no sense of humor.

Iblis on July 19, 2007 at 1:43 PM

All naked! All the time!

Stormy70 on July 19, 2007 at 1:56 PM

I’m all for caring for the poor, can’t can those Huffposers see that the Silky Pony is just taking them for a ride?

pedestrian on July 19, 2007 at 2:20 PM

What concerns me is that the Huffposers MAY be real people and in my neighborhood…. at MY church…… scary very scary

MNDavenotPC on July 19, 2007 at 2:23 PM

The comments on Huff are great.

Let me know when Edwards starts channeling Katrina victims and old-time slaves.

CrazyFool on July 19, 2007 at 2:40 PM

Chasing Ambulances, here’s ma card, call me.

He can see before it happens, and dead people too.

Kini on July 19, 2007 at 3:00 PM

John Edward is the poorest man I know of, for he is soulless.

TheSitRep on July 19, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Another fabulous comment

Yeah, that’s just really f-ing hilarious. 20% of American children going to bed with no dinner is a real knee slapper. I expect more from HuffPo – this is Enquirer-level trash.

And this one –

Welfare, Medicare, Unemployment, etc – all of our tools for helping the poor have been literally dismantaled by the Bush administration.

In what universe do these people live?

Laura on July 19, 2007 at 3:45 PM

That was hilarious! … and the comments!…

How about this comment from the astute razzberryjamin:

I’m with Bryan all the way.

MT on July 19, 2007 at 12:02 PM

MT you beat me to it! I had to step out. Razz is quite serious! Funny stuff!
“honestly earned (heh) by helping those who had no voice…” (hehe, those poor downtrodden corporations, yeah sure.)

4shoes on July 19, 2007 at 4:53 PM

saltydogg14 on July 19, 2007 at 11:39 AM

Your problem is you do not think big enough. You only want to help a few around you Silky wants to save the world.

SIJ6141 on July 19, 2007 at 5:50 PM

The vid was hysterical. And the self righteous anger of those people was even funnier. You know the’re the first ones to crack a joke or say something about someone from the right. But as soon as it’s one of their own, the claws come out.

PowWow on July 19, 2007 at 8:06 PM

I find it hard to even be amused by those comments because I find it is really just sad that actual adults believe it is really possible for some government program to “eliminate poverty”. If you want to help the poor then stop “the man” from sticking it to them by shrinking the government. How does anyone who is actually educated not realize that more government programs and control create poverty.

Resolute on July 19, 2007 at 8:08 PM

I think we should give the WOT as much time and money as the War on Poverty!

sonnyspats1 on July 19, 2007 at 8:50 PM

illinB (See profile | I’m a fan of illinB)
what’s offensive is the lack of editorial direction of Arianna’s weblog. Just what is Huffingtonpost supposed to be? facts, opinions, liberal-slanted progressive soapbox – fine… oh yeah and it’s a place for weak one-note youtube entries that my wing-nut, militia-man cousin might email around after getting his fill of Matt Drudge and Lou Dobbs. oh.

This guy actually hit the nail on the head, I noticed the floundering commentors, and not one editor comment for direction, truth, nothing.

4shoes on July 19, 2007 at 10:40 PM

The redistribution of poverty. If we can’t all be rich, we’ll be poor together. $10 a night for a room at the Edwards mansion. The fam has to eat, ya know?

Connie on July 20, 2007 at 12:16 AM

DEEP

SOUL CRUSHING

POVERTY

Man, that is hilarious.

mythicknight on July 20, 2007 at 7:43 AM

I liked this bit of projection…..

from huffpo….

bobsmith (See profile | I’m a fan of bobsmith)

“Don’t expect the government to give you money for sitting on your lazy asses…”

The government doesn’t do that. I know – I worked for the government for 30 years helping hard-working people

If you truly ARE earning six figures (which I doubt), it’s probably because you have lived an easy life. Usually the people who have lived the easiest lives think they have it toughest.

This from a guy who is in the most protected job market on earth.

hahaha