Breaking: Dems seek to pull “John Doe” provision Updates: Dems kill John Doe provision Update: Details from the WashTimes Update: Senate Dems kill John Doe amendment

posted at 9:45 am on July 19, 2007 by Bryan

Whose water are the Democrats carrying on this? It seems to come down to two suspects — trial lawyers or the mau mauers at CAIR. Or both.

Democrats are trying to pull a provision from a homeland security bill that will protect the public from being sued for reporting suspicious behavior that may lead to a terrorist attack, according to House Republican leadership aides.

The legislation, which moves to a House and Senate conference committee this afternoon, will implement final recommendations from the 911 Commission.

Rep. Pete King, New York Republican and ranking member of the House Homeland Security Committee, and Rep. Steve Pearce, New Mexico Republican, sponsored the bill after a group of Muslim imams filed a lawsuit against U.S. Airways and unknown or “John Doe” passengers after they were removed for suspicious behavior aboard Flight 300 from Minneapolis to Phoenix on Nov. 20 before their removal.

“Democrats are trying to find any technical excuse to keep immunity out of the language of the bill to protect citizens, who in good faith, report suspicious activity to police or law enforcement,” Mr. King said in an interview last night.

“This is a slap in the face of good citizens who do their patriotic duty and come forward, and it caves in to radical Islamists,” Mr. King said.

“I don’t see how you can have a homeland security bill without protecting people who come forward to report suspicious activity,” Mr. King said.

Republicans aides say they will put up a fight with Democrats when the conference committee begins at 1 p.m., to reinsert the language, but that public pressure is also needed.

The story notes that Democrats like Homeland Security Chairman Rep. Bennie Thompson opposed the “John Doe” protection out of fears it would lead to racial profiling. Because, of course, racial profiling is so much worse than losing a city full of innocent people.

Update: Michelle has more, including a couple of useful phone numbers. Make yourselves heard.

Congress switchboard: 202-224-3121
Nancy Pelosi’s office: 202-225-4965

Update: Different yet similar tactics against anti-terror efforts in Indonesia.

JAKARTA (Reuters) – Controversial Muslim cleric Abu Bakar Bashir launched a court case on Thursday demanding Indonesia’s anti-terrorism police unit be disbanded because it harmed Islam.

Update: It’s just breaking that the Democrats actually spiked the John Doe proposal in committee. They have exposed to Americans to more terrorism and the threat of lawsuit at the same time. They really ought to reap the whirlwind for this.

If the Democrats get their way, ordinary Americans like Brian Morganstern will have to weigh the threat of lawsuit when they decide whether to trust their gut when they see or hear something suspicious. Some will choose to avoid the lawsuit, and Americans will die.

As for me, I am John Doe.

Update: Audrey Hudson reports:

Congressional Democrats today failed to include a provision in homeland security legislation that would protect the public from being sued for reporting suspicious behavior that may lead to a terrorist attack, according to House Republican leaders.

“This is a slap in the face of good citizens who do their patriotic duty and come forward, and it caves in to radical Islamists,” said Rep. Peter T. King, New York Republican and ranking member of the House Homeland Security Committee.

Read the whole thing to get a taste of the Democrat’s brazen arrogance on this, and to see that some Republicans aren’t giving up the fight yet.

While the conference is not likely to meet again, Mr. King noted the conference report has not been written and says he will continue discussions with Sen. Joe Lieberman, Connecticut independent and chairman of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, to insert the “John Doe” language.

Sen. Susan Collins, Maine Republican and ranking member of the committee, announced afterward she will attempt to attach a similar bill to an education measure currently under debate on the Senate floor.

To the commentor who wanted the names of the Democrats who were responsible for this act, they scuttled this amendment in committee in a way that makes them difficult to track down individually. That’s sneaky but it’s how Washington often works. Rep. Bennie Thompson is the most likely culprit, but it’s unlikely that he’s flying solo here.

Update (MM): Damn them.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

One description I’ve heard of a liberal is, “Someone so open-minded that he won’t take his own side in a fight.”

Only open-mindedness has nothing to do with it.

What motivates donks in Congress these days is rather a profound sense of misplaced guilt, blended with self-loathing and a deep, deep hatred of their own society. They try to feel better about themselves (i.e., “superior”) by sticking it to America, and Americans.

That’s not surprising. What is surprising is that every time I think that the donks can’t possibly go more over-the-top in their desire to drag this country down while placating its enemies, they somehow find a way.

The question, increasingly, is becoming whether they’ll pay a price for it in 2008. After all, one analysis of why the donks won in 2006 came down to this hypothetical exchange:

Donk: “Vote for me, I hate him!”
Republican: “It could be worse!”
Voters: “Let’s find out.”

Well, we’re finding out, aren’t we?

Spurius Ligustinus on July 19, 2007 at 8:08 PM

John Galt was an idealistic architect in an Ayn Rand novel

You are thinking of Howard Roarke in The Fountainhead.

Galt was in Atlas Shrugs, the inventor of an amazing motor.

LegendHasIt on July 19, 2007 at 8:10 PM

Sorry Holly… I type slow.

LegendHasIt on July 19, 2007 at 8:13 PM

and I’m stupid.

Atlas SHRUGGED

LegendHasIt on July 19, 2007 at 8:14 PM

LegendHasIt on July 19, 2007 at 8:13 PM

No prob, I didn’t even notice the first time around. I think I’m reading and typing too fast right now. Way too many Red Bulls today (lotta work to do, yet I’m still here talking to you guys??). I can’t help myself, HA is too good!

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 8:19 PM

Now we really shouldn’t be to hard on them. The Dems are only trying to protect all of their future voters and constiteuents in the terrorist cells.

rplat on July 19, 2007 at 8:23 PM

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 8:19 PM

You should be home drinking beer, hell I am home and should be drinking beer, somebody please tell me why I dont have a beer in my hand right now!!!!

doriangrey on July 19, 2007 at 8:31 PM

doriangrey on July 19, 2007 at 8:31 PM

Oh, don’t you worry my dear dorian, I am home now and fully intend to enjoy a beer or three while finishing this mess up for the evening. As for you, aren’t you retired? I’m supposed to be able to count on you to hold down the beer fort while I am working!

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 8:35 PM

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 8:35 PM

No I’m not retired, damn girl how old do you think I am anyway? No I am just in between jobs at the moment, and trying to put the next one off for a couple more months, just got to figure out how to get them to quit calling until I’m ready to go back to work. As for the beer, hell I dont know what happened today, I should have had one in hand a long time ago.

doriangrey on July 19, 2007 at 8:40 PM

doriangrey on July 19, 2007 at 8:40 PM

Ha ha, I had no idea how old you were, I just remember you saying something previously about now working so I assumed you were retired. One should never assume, eh?

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 8:51 PM

NO F*CKIN WAY. They did it, they are not just trying to lose the war, they’re trying to bring AlQaeda straight thru the front door of America. Planes Trains and Automobiles…

TERRORIST CARTE BLANCHE ???

WTF is wrong with the Dems, this is even below far left crap?

shooter on July 19, 2007 at 9:01 PM

*not working

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 9:06 PM

shooter on July 19, 2007 at 9:01 PM

I rarely agree with the Dems, but lately it’s gone so far as to be mindblowing. First shamnesty and now this? I mean, this really is like a slap in the face to Americans. They can’t even let us not be sued for trying to protect ourselves?

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 9:10 PM

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 8:51 PM

Heh heh would have responded sooner but I had a minor little situation to correct, you may now trust that all is now right with the world. And yea, assumptions can be dangerous. BTW 46… :)

doriangrey on July 19, 2007 at 9:11 PM

shooter on July 19, 2007 at 9:01 PM

WTF is wrong with the Dems, this is even below far left crap?

Well in the first place what is wrong with them is they need us to loose and they need us to get hit here at home in order to ensure they pick up seats in congress and the senate and win the White House.

And second of all, the Dems ARE the far left. Remember 35% of dems are straight up truthers.

doriangrey on July 19, 2007 at 9:15 PM

doriangrey on July 19, 2007 at 9:11 PM

I’m with ya kid. Beer and a grilled cheeseburger out on the deck talking to you guys, my life is now back in order…BTW 27, ha ha.

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 9:16 PM

Sorry, bad quotes. Man, I am jittery today!

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 9:17 PM

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 9:17 PM

Now you know what they mean when they say RedBull gives you wings…

doriangrey on July 19, 2007 at 9:20 PM

Bryan, it is futile to call Pelosi’s number. It is voice mail only. they are scum and there won’t be a way to contact her. They will trash the faxes and delete the emails.
These sons-a-bitches have kicked this country right in the groin. Their lust for power is demonic. To control us as Americans, to slap us in the face by the striping of this bill, everything the do is anti-America, anti-conservative, anti-Bush, etc.
They want one nation under their ugly socialist dogma and damn anyone that tries to get in their way. I hope to heck they are thrown the f**k out of DC this 08 cycle.
This amendment MUST past and the numbers to call would be Lieberman, McConnell, Hatch (belive it or not McCain) and King. These Dem’s are selling our country out big time. Treasonous bast***s.

auspatriotman on July 19, 2007 at 9:21 PM

doriangrey on July 19, 2007 at 9:20 PM

Geesh, I didn’t know they meant wings of fury on the keyboard!

BTW, any word on a House roll call on this? I saw the Senate’s over at MM’s site. No Repub voted against it, Hillary voted for it and Obama didn’t vote at all, interesting.

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 9:33 PM

If a democrat wins the white house we will have “john and Jane Doe” on alot of american bodybag toe tags

William Amos on July 19, 2007 at 9:40 PM

Both my Senators (Hagel-R and Nelson-D) voted for it but unfortunately it wasn’t enough.

Yakko77 on July 19, 2007 at 9:41 PM

I’m raising my children to be politically incorrect, which is hard to do as they are in school now, but the parental influence is still strong.

Pulchritudinous Patriot on July 19, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Here‘s an option for homeschooling, for those who aren’t confident in their ability to teach.

Freelancer on July 19, 2007 at 9:44 PM

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 9:33 PM

I am left with a very cold shiver running down my back, one that tells me that this isn’t over, but it may be just about to start. If the Dems and the liberals and the moonbats (is there actually any difference between those three anymore?) insist on continuing to betray this great republic in order to gain control of it, it may not be much longer before the battle lines of another civil war are drawn and the first shots fired.

doriangrey on July 19, 2007 at 9:46 PM

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 8:01 PM
Thank you for the correction…. I appreciate I read so many of Ayn Rands books years ago and I guess i’m getting confused must be PTSD just kidding

MNDavenotPC on July 19, 2007 at 9:54 PM

doriangrey on July 19, 2007 at 9:46 PM

I actually believe there at least used to be a big difference between the three. My dad is a democrat because when he registered to vote the democratic party was the working man’s party. He is a conservative democrat (which my straight ticket Republican mother calls an oxymoron). I think liberals are often (of course not always) young people who are just unrealistic and want to save the world not realizing what comes with that. Plus people my age honestly believe the crap the MSM spews about conservatives being redneck racists or corporate cold-hearts and so they feel “enlightened” when they regurgitate what the liberal media tells them. As for the moonbats, they are just scary people, with absolutely no rational grasp on the world we live in. That’s my two cents, who knows??

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 9:57 PM

MNDavenotPC on July 19, 2007 at 9:54 PM

No worries, I can’t even get my quotes in order today. I just screwed them up for the second or third time in one thread. UGH!

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 9:59 PM

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 9:59 PM

Heh heh no worries, at least you have your head screwed on right and know the difference between what is important and what isn’t.

doriangrey on July 19, 2007 at 10:03 PM

They’re all for whistleblowers.

Unless the whistle is blown on potential terrorist jihadis.

Who exactly is it that they wouldn’t want to alienate:

A) future voters?

Or:

B) future overlords?

Lickspittles of the Apocalypse.

profitsbeard on July 19, 2007 at 10:10 PM

doriangrey on July 19, 2007 at 10:03 PM

Thanks, let’s hope so!

I hope this second American Civil War never comes, but I must admit things have been getting out of control lately with our country. How our govt cares infinitely more about people in other countries than their own citizens is beyond me.

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 10:12 PM

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 10:12 PM

I pray that it doesnt happen, but its getting so hard to believe that we can work things out with people willing to sell us out for power.

doriangrey on July 19, 2007 at 10:14 PM

The dems think the insurgency in Iraq is bad.

Wait till they have to deal with the one they’re quickly fomenting right here in America.

techno_barbarian on July 19, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Truer words never spoken.

- The Cat

P.S. The DEA hurts drug trafficing. The FBI hurts mobsters. The . . .

MirCat on July 19, 2007 at 10:19 PM

I hate to admit my ignorance of civics. But I do have a question. Have Conference Committees always been a part of the process of a bill becoming law, or is this some process that has been aded on ‘recently’?

It just seems so sleezy – laws being written in smoke filled back rooms – where they may have no resemblenece to what was voted on in the light of day.

I shudder to think of what Conference committee games they would play with immigration.

Why can’t the Senate and Congress just vote up or down on the same bill send that to the president for signature?

anne on July 19, 2007 at 10:20 PM

anne on July 19, 2007 at 10:20 PM

I may be wrong b/c I took Legislative Process a few years ago but I think conference committees are where bills go that differ between the House and Senate. Like if the House passes a bill and it goes to the Senate and the Senate passes the bill, but with an amendment, it then has to go back to the House with the amendment. If the House can’t agree on the bill with the amendment, it goes to a Conference Committee for negotiations.

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 10:30 PM

Lickspittles of the Apocalypse.
profitsbeard on July 19, 2007 at 10:10 PM

Excellent turn of a phrase. I may steal it if you don’t mind.

LegendHasIt on July 19, 2007 at 10:34 PM

This is one reason why I am pulling my kids out of school and homeschooling them this year.

StephC on July 19, 2007 at 10:34 AM

Congratulations StephC! After you see the rapid changes, you won’t ever want to turn them over to the state again.

techno_barbarian on July 19, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Careful parnter, under the Patriot Act, or a related absurd local statute, both cherished by so many, you can end up with the label of ‘domestic terrorist’ and receive a visit from folks with cheap aviator sunglasses.

AZ_Redneck on July 19, 2007 at 10:41 PM

If all the terrorists were blond-haired, blue-eyed white girls, by all means, search me every time if that’s going to ultimately save people’s lives.

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Since we’re talkin’ characters here, didn’t “Holly Go Lightly” have dark hair and eyes? Just sayin… ;)

JJ

ps: I gave my wife a framed copy of the Breakfast at Tiffany’s album, her favorite movie, which is now hanging next to her vanity.

Im_no_dhimmi on July 19, 2007 at 10:44 PM

I am John Doe

and, in the words of Laura Ingraham:
“I’m Loud and I’m Proud”

BobH on July 19, 2007 at 10:45 PM

Im_no_dhimmi on July 19, 2007 at 10:44 PM

Sigh….I know, Audrey was my darling, such a beauty. I am only like her in the ways of spunkiness and dancing a lot I suppose…I had a beautiful print of her in the foyer of my old apartment and the wind caught the door one day and slammed it. The picture fell, the glass broke and scratched my print, I was heartbroken. But I brought it and put it up here too, adds a little character!

BTW, what a nice gift for your lucky wife!!

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 10:51 PM

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 10:30 PM

Thanks…it just seems like that puts enormous power in the hands of a few people in the conf. committee.

The process seems like it’s tailor made for shenanigans unless you have honest/ethical individuals involved. This is politics so there isn’t much chance of that:(

Conf. Comittees just seems like a ‘bug’ rather than a ‘feature’ in the process. I mean would it really be a bad thing if fewer laws were passed? Those passed would be more likely streamlined and not packed with amendments and pork.

anne on July 19, 2007 at 10:52 PM

So, this is part of the Dem plan to make us safer ?!? What is next? This is insanity. When ya think it could not get any worse, they stoop to new lows. Normally I like it when congress can get nothing done, as it means no new bad laws are passed, but this one needs to be passed.

I ask, can we question their patriotism now?

MalkinFan on July 19, 2007 at 10:57 PM

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 3:39 PM

You know…my searching and frisking could probably use a bit of practice… :)

doriangrey on July 19, 2007 at 11:00 PM

doriangrey on July 19, 2007 at 11:00 PM

Haha, you are a saucy one dorian ;)

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 11:02 PM

It just seems so sleezy – laws being written in smoke filled back rooms – where they may have no resemblenece to what was voted on in the light of day….

anne on July 19, 2007 at 10:20 PM

I think it’s worse than “sleezy” Anna. In fact, it often seems criminal, the way they spend our money. And sometimes even seditious, the way they protect terrorist rights over citizen rights, or work to give terrorists the rights of citizens.

You should support term limits for all politicians.

I remember being upset, but not surprised, after the 2006 elections. But in that power switch, I saw a glimmer of hope, a chance that this was actually good timing, because although they gained the gavels in the House and Senate, it was not a presidential election. And I was fairly confident the Dhimmocrats would show their a$$, but I had no idea they were going to show such a large and ugly a$$. So on the bright side, I’m hoping this bodes well for true Americans taking their country back from dhimmitude in 2008.

John Doe

Im_no_dhimmi on July 19, 2007 at 11:04 PM

anne on July 19, 2007 at 10:52 PM

No problem. I just looked up more info and, other than one public meeting, the conference committee meetings are private and the process is very cumbersome. I agree that it’s scary. Especially after this sneaky push-through they tried to pull with the amnesty bill at first.

I don’t understand this bill at all. How can you not even say that we can’t report people who act highly suspicious without fear of getting sued? They can’t do at least that? REALLY??!

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 11:08 PM

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Although I don’t know Holly Golightly’s politics, you make me imagine shes an adorable litte conservative. And hey! Even ELVIRA was actually a blonde! (Note: According to IMDB, she’s really a redhead, but she was blonde when I met her :)

Im_no_dhimmi on July 19, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Can anyone clear me up on why some senators are allowed to “sit out” on some votes?

VolMagic on July 19, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Im_no_dhimmi on July 19, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Well, this hollygolightly is certainly conservative! As for an adorable, little conservative, my friends and family think so…but wait, do they have to??? :)

Did you really meet Elvira, Mistress of the Dark??? Or I am being a total blonde right now?

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 11:22 PM

I have to believe that most Dems (excluding the Move-On fringe, of course) are decent people who favor their own country. It’s very hard for me to accept that most Dems understand that their party leaders are up to things like this.

petefrt on July 19, 2007 at 11:27 PM

VolMagic on July 19, 2007 at 11:20 PM

I don’t know. I think they can not vote just b/c they don’t want to. I don’t know that for sure though. I worked for a state senate and sometimes Senators just didn’t vote, I don’t think there was ever a reason given for it, at least as far as I knew. Bryan?? Anyone know for sure?

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Ya! What’s up with that? We have TWO presidential candidates who decided to just sit this one out?! HUGE deal killer for me, not that I was interested in either one, but Presidents don’t get to “sit this one out”.

And hollygolightly, on a lighter, thread-jacking side, yes, I’ve met Elvira twice, but only have one pic to prove it. In make-up and out. She really is a delightful woman, either way.
And yes, Patty adores Audrey too, in a hero-worship kind-of way.

cheers

Im_no_dhimmi on July 19, 2007 at 11:55 PM

As far as I know elected officials aren’t required to vote on anything.

forest on July 20, 2007 at 12:01 AM

hollygolightly on July 19, 2007 at 11:22 PM

No they dont, but just the same I am quite comfortable with that mental image… :)

doriangrey on July 20, 2007 at 12:05 AM

doriangrey on July 20, 2007 at 12:05 AM

Thanks for making me laugh, I just had a little tiff on the Byrd thread and needed a good laugh!

Im_no_dhimmi, I can’t believe you met Elvira! I kind of worship Audrey too, own all her movies in special collector edition versions that no one is allowed to actually watch (I have back ups for that).

Most importantly, I can’t believe on something this important that Obama sat it out. I can believe it from Brownback, he seems a little confused most of the time. I wonder if this will matter with Obama? Hillary actually voted for it. Since a lot of people in the middle (by middle, I mean middle of the democrat side b/t moderate dems and moonbats) seem to like Obama more than her, I wonder if it will hurt him or if it was actually better for him to sit it out to not offend his liberal supporters?

hollygolightly on July 20, 2007 at 12:20 AM

Legend Hasit-

I may steal it if you don’t mind

Spread it like pb&j.

They deserve worse.

profitsbeard on July 20, 2007 at 12:32 AM

Thanks!

LegendHasIt on July 20, 2007 at 12:45 AM

Whether protected by law or not, if I see something that looks suspicious, I’ll report it. I don’t worry about being sued; as many have mentioned about Plamegate-it’s a shame that the case was thrown out, as the defense cross on Plame and her husband, under oath, would be priceless.
So if I did report a possible situation and it turns out I was wrong, oh well-I’d take my lumps. But if I report an event and am right, let them sue me, let’s take it to court, and lets get CAIR or whomever under oath, answering questions.

Doug on July 20, 2007 at 1:00 AM

hollygolightly on July 20, 2007 at 12:20 AM

In the face of events like this if we cant find something to laugh about we will have little choice but to cry.

doriangrey on July 20, 2007 at 1:11 AM

You know, between this…..and reading in Dick Morris’ book “Outrage” about how my own party worked over the average person who gets buried in medical bills by eliminating their ability to have their debts forgiven through bankruptcy….while simultaneously looking the other way on Enron, Worldcom, and other corporate scandal…..all because the credit card companies and banks were in their pockets…….

I’m as disillusioned about my government as ever.

Hawkins1701 on July 20, 2007 at 3:48 AM

Hawkins1701 on July 20, 2007 at 3:48 AM

I’m back to being as disillusioned with the government as I was in back in 1988-2000 (and I was so disillusioned that I registered Libertarian and even volunteered for Ron Paul’s campaign in 88 (he wasn’t as disconnected from reality back then, as he is now.))….

But I have more sense than to let Dick Morris influence me.
He usually has a pretty interesting take on things, but he is rarely actually correct, and his agenda is yet to be accurately defined.

To base your opinions or decisions on anything he says is dangerous. I generally give his opinions about a 5% factor in my analysis of anything I have heard him talk/write about.

LegendHasIt on July 20, 2007 at 4:48 AM

Well, isn’t this nice. Democrats love to link conservatives to all kinds of horrible things,,, talk radio causes terrorism and hate, Bible believing Christians can be linked to attacks against gays,, gas guzzling SUV owners are financing overseas terrorists groups,, on and on. I cannot just call these people Democrats. They carry that title,, but it some how gives them an ever so slight air of legitimacy as Americans. What is the difference between this party called Democrats and any other enemy of this nation, anywhere else in the world?? At every crossroads their choice, their decision is always anti-American! If a plane goes down because someone did not speak up out of fear of losing their property or going to jail,, these Marxists called Democrats, these terrorist loving American hating socialist morons are responsible! They assault us with taxes, they assault us through legislation, they attempt to control or steal our properties, they assault our businesses, they mock and assault our religion, they want to control our children!! They support our enemies at every opportunity while attacking our own military!! They must lay awake at night fantasizing about new ways to confound and defeat the average American going about his day! They would strip us of our choice of cars, homes, money and every freedom if they had the chance, while enriching and empowering themselves to hideous new heights! If they were all spanked in the public square and restricted to no other profession than that of used car sales for the rest of their lives, it would be too good for them!

JellyToast on July 20, 2007 at 8:26 AM

I used to think Ann Coulter exagerated about things she wrote and said. But maybe I was wrong. Maybe liberals really are traitors.

kayawanee on July 20, 2007 at 8:41 AM

Um… aren’t the Donks creating double jeopardy?

Misprision of Felony

Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.”
[United States Code, Title 18, Part I, Chapter I, Section 4 ]

Terp Mole on July 20, 2007 at 9:08 AM

kayawanee on July 20, 2007 at 8:41 AM

You were only about half wrong, only half the dems are traitors, half of them are genuine patriots who unfortunately have been brainwashed into being socialists.

doriangrey on July 20, 2007 at 9:09 AM

With this mindset, OBL could walk right into the capital and not be confronted, now they may as well say there is no need for any watchlist’s because some whistleblower felt compelled to put a name on the list.

Dems must be suicidal or just have a subconscious death wish caused by sleep deprivation.

MSGTAS on July 20, 2007 at 9:35 AM

“Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” for terrorists!!!

landlines on July 20, 2007 at 9:43 AM

PC is going to get us all killed.

elBarto on July 19, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Not to mention that it undermines free speech but since when to the Dhimmis care about
A) Free speech or B) protecting the American sovereignty?
They are anti-American, period. This proves it.

foxforce91 on July 20, 2007 at 10:18 AM

As is always the case, the Dimmiecraps are on the enemy side of our nation. Any and all registered Dums can go straight to hell and burn baby burn.

lynnv on July 20, 2007 at 10:22 AM

JellyToast on July 20, 2007 at 8:41 AM

I enjoyed your rant and applaud it! Well said, spot on…!

izzatso on July 20, 2007 at 10:49 AM

I wrote the following to Sen. James Webb when I heard about his vote:

Senator Webb,

I am writing to you because of my astonishment at your vote yesterday to kill Rep. Peter King’s amendment to protect ordinary citizens from litigation when they come forward with information about possible criminal behavior. This is common-sense legislation that deserves immediate passage.

As fine a job as federal agents and local police do, they cannot be everywhere at once. They are dependent, in an age when terrorists are almost certainly operating in the United States, upon ordinary people to help them do their jobs by reporting suspicious behavior. By voting against this legislation, you are in effect saying to your constituency, “bury your head in the sand, don’t report suspicious activity, don’t help law enforcement, don’t even think about helping to protect the homeland, because if you do, someone will repay your patriotic and responsible action by suing you.” Is this really the message you want to send to us?

I understand that this legislation isn’t dead, and may be brought back for another vote. If it is, I would urge you in the strongest terms possible to reconsider your action, and to vote in favor of strengthening homeland security and law enforcement in Virginia and throughout the nation.

Sincerely,

For what it’s worth.

Athanasius on July 20, 2007 at 10:50 AM

Athanasius on July 20, 2007 at 10:50 AM

I am humbled in the presence of such a well written letter. Would you be offended if I copied it, tweaked it to address Minnesota concerns and sent it to Amy( Klobochump)Klobochar, MN Democratic Senator?

MNDavenotPC on July 20, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Question: Has the PC crowd reached the point where they’ve become so “open minded” that their brains have fallen out? If so can we declare them to be in a “permanent vegetative state” and pull the plug?

srhoades on July 20, 2007 at 11:57 AM

I knew there was a reason I’m a card carrying member of the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps even in MN

MNDavenotPC on July 20, 2007 at 11:58 AM

On joint House and Senate conference committees, formed to reconcile differing versions of a bill, the best information I have is that they’re usually composed of the members of the respective House and Senate committees from which the two versions originated. Here are membership lists for the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs and the House Committee on Homeland Security, with links to the pages from which I gathered the information. I hope this information will help readers direct their energy in support of the amendment or, at least, similar legislation in the future. Let me know if it does, please.

Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs

Democrat
Joseph I. Lieberman Chairman (ID) (CT)
Carl Levin (MI)
Daniel K. Akaka (HI)
Thomas R. Carper (DE)
Mark L. Pryor (AR)
Mary L. Landrieu (LA)
Barack Obama (IL)
Claire McCaskill (MO)
Jon Tester (MT)

Republican
Susan M. Collins, Ranking Member (ME)
Ted Stevens (AK)
George V. Voinovich (OH)
Norm Coleman (MN)
Tom Coburn (OK)
Pete V. Domenici (NM)
John Warner (VA)
John E. Sununu (NH)

House Committee on Homeland Security

Democrat
Bennie G. Thompson, Chairman (MS-2)
Loretta Sanchez (CA-47)
Ed Markey (MA-7)
Norman D. Dicks (WA-6)
Jane Harman (CA-36)
Peter DeFazio (OR-4)
Nita Lowey (NY-18)
Zoe Lofgren (CA-16)
Sheila Jackson-Lee (TX-18)
Bob Etheridge (NC-2)
James R. Langevin (RI-2)
Henry Cuellar (TX-28)
Christopher P. Carney (PA-10)
Yvette D. Clarke (NY-11)

Charlie Dent, Pennsylvania
Ginny Brown-Waite, Florida
Gus M. Bilirakis, Florida
David Davis, Tennessee
Kevin McCarthy, California

Kralizec on July 20, 2007 at 12:18 PM

March 28, 2007, 0:00 a.m.

The John Doe Manifesto
A declaration of principles.

By Michelle Malkin

Note: Earlier this month, six publicity-seeking imams filed a federal lawsuit against US Airways and the Metropolitan Airports Commission in Minneapolis/St. Paul. The Muslim clerics were removed from their flight last November and questioned for several hours after their suspicious behavior alarmed both passengers and crew members. Minneapolis Star Tribune columnist Katherine Kersten reported last week that the imams, advised by the grievance-mongers at the Council on American-Islamic Relations, also plan to sue “John Does” — innocent bystanders who alerted the authorities about their security concerns. Rep. Steve Pearce, R-N.M., has introduced legislation to protect John Does who report suspicious behavior from legal liability. The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty; talk show host Michael Reagan; Dr. Zuhdi Jasser, who heads the American Islamic Forum for Democracy; and Minnesota lawyer Gerry Nolting have all stepped forward to offer free representation to the imams’ targets.

Dear Muslim Terrorist Plotter/Planner/Funder/Enabler/Apologist,

You do not know me. But I am on the lookout for you. You are my enemy. And I am yours.

I am John Doe.

I am traveling on your plane. I am riding on your train. I am at your bus stop. I am on your street. I am in your subway car. I am on your lift.

I am your neighbor. I am your customer. I am your classmate. I am your boss.

I am John Doe.

I will never forget the example of the passengers of United Airlines Flight 93 who refused to sit back on 9/11 and let themselves be murdered in the name of Islam without a fight.

I will never forget the passengers and crew members who tackled al Qaeda shoe-bomber Richard Reid on American Airlines Flight 63 before he had a chance to blow up the plane over the Atlantic Ocean.

I will never forget the alertness of actor James Woods, who notified a stewardess that several Arab men sitting in his first-class cabin on an August 2001 flight were behaving strangely. The men turned out to be 9/11 hijackers on a test run.

I will act when homeland security officials ask me to “report suspicious activity.”

I will embrace my local police department’s admonition: “If you see something, say something.”

I am John Doe.

I will protest your Jew-hating, America-bashing “scholars.”

I will petition against your hate-mongering mosque leaders.

I will raise my voice against your subjugation of women and religious minorities.

I will challenge your attempts to indoctrinate my children in our schools.

I will combat your violent propaganda on the Internet.

I am John Doe.

I will support law enforcement initiatives to spy on your operatives, cut off your funding and disrupt your murderous conspiracies.

I will oppose all attempts to undermine our borders and immigration laws.

I will resist the imposition of sharia principles and sharia law in my taxi cab, my restaurant, my community pool, the halls of Congress, our national monuments, the radio and television airwaves, and all public spaces.

I will not be censored in the name of tolerance.

I will not be cowed by your Beltway lobbying groups in moderates’ clothing. I will not cringe when you shriek about “profiling” or “Islamophobia.”

I will put my family’s safety above sensitivity. I will put my country above multiculturalism.

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.

I am John Doe.

COPYRIGHT 2007 CREATORS SYNDICATE, INC.

——————————————————————————–

I hope I haven’t violated any copyright regulations.

MNDavenotPC on July 20, 2007 at 1:02 PM

MNDavenotPC on July 20, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Not at all. Please do, and let these people know we’re watching them.

Athanasius on July 20, 2007 at 1:19 PM

I am John Doe.

doriangrey on July 20, 2007 at 5:06 PM

No worries. Some squirelly looking muj gets on a plane with me , he’s still gonna get the hairy eyeball and perhaps a mugshot on the cellphone camera.

bloviator on July 20, 2007 at 8:04 PM

Hmmm,, let me see,, I wonder if there might be another way to word this,,,

Dear Marxist Democrat/Republican RINO American hating congressperson,

You seem to know little about me, though I am sure you are watching. I am having a hard time watching you. I have never wanted to consider you my enemy, but, apparently, you consider me, yours.

I am an American citizen.

Sometimes I ride trains, buses and fly on planes. Sometimes I drive my own car or ride a motorcycle miles and miles to a job I love, or to a job I hate. But, I work hard. I work for myself. I work for my family. Sometimes I just work for a hope of something better down the road. I am an inventor, an artist, a mechanic, a nurse, a business owner, a risk taker, and yes, a dreamer and I love this country! You can’t really know me.

I am an American citizen.

I may never have expected great things from you,, but, I never should have expected what I am seeing now! I remember Sept. 11th! I remember the planes, the smoke, the screams! I remember the people jumping from the Towers! Don’t you???
Have you forgotten the countless numbers of people, some just children, walking the streets of New York carrying pictures asking someone, anyone who would listen,, “Have you seen my Dad?,, my Mom?,, my husband?,,,” Weren’t you watching then?? Are you really watching now?

I am an American citizen, for crying out loud!

Do you not remember Flight 93?? I fought on that plane to protect myself, my friends, my family, my country, and yes you! You were the target and I knew it! My sacrifice saved your life! I died protecting you and this is how you repay me?? You compare our troops to Nazi’s!,,, you threatened to cut off their funding in the middle of a war!,,, You spend more time and energy investigating, attacking and attempting to undermine our soldiers and our President than you do against those who would cut off our heads and the heads of our children if given the chance! Who are you??! Sometimes I haven’t a clue!

I, on the other hand, am an American citizen!

I pay your stinking salary, though you would never know it! You take my money and buy yourself expensive suits and red dresses! You wine and dine yourself and your Hollywood friends,, you love the stars and the cameras! You think yourself ever so important and smart! You are an expert on every issue! How often must the thought pleasure your small mind, “Who are they, compared to me!”

I am an American citizen!

I never expected that you should legislate my every whim and desire! But, when I speak up and voice my opinion on matters that directly effect me, my family, my business and my property, even the safety of my nation, you accuse me of racism and bigotry! You pass laws to silence me! You accuse me of being a threat to the country!! Me!! Me?? An American citizen??

I do not want to view you as my enemy, but I can no longer afford to consider you a patriot!

I must watch you as closely as you say you watch me!

I will not allow you to silence my opinion on even the smallest of matters!

I must oppose your attempts at undermining our military and our President!

I must always resist your propaganda and fight for the freedom of our airwaves!

And I will never forget the things that you seemed to have forgotten!

I will never forget Sept 11,, I will never forget the sacrifice of Flight 93,

I am a patriot!

I am an American citizen!

JellyToast on July 20, 2007 at 9:39 PM

JellyToast on July 20, 2007 at 9:39 PM

BRAVO! You made me proud and made me want to cry at the same time with your strong words! Again, BRAVO!

hollygolightly on July 20, 2007 at 9:57 PM

In the Q”ur’a”n, I see commandments (e.g., the ninth sura) to use every strategem against the unbelievers: treaties, taxes, ambushes, kidnappings, forced conversions, and murder. The muslim terrorist plotters, planners, funders, enablers, and apologists have either publicly declared they will kill the Americans or conquer them; or else they’re tacitly striving toward the ends that the others have declared. I want to see the Americans and their friends victorious over the muslims. The John Doe Manifesto is a much firmer answer to them than anything I’ve seen previously. Is it an entire acknowledgement and acceptance of the challenge? Is it a threat to prudently use every means in opposition? Is it a declaration of ultimate, total victory? I repeat that The John Doe Manifesto is much firmer than any other reply I’ve seen so far.

Kralizec on July 20, 2007 at 11:25 PM

Under the democrat plan, if you see something suspcious you can only protect yourself, by quietly getting off the plane/train, and leave the other less observant folks to their fate.

cosmick on July 22, 2007 at 11:17 AM