Video: Byrd does the best he can

posted at 3:06 pm on July 18, 2007 by Allahpundit

For a guy who’s four months shy of 90 and has had a long night at the office, he really doesn’t do all that badly. Truth be told, he’s no more incoherent than I am after ten beers. Via BTN, which recommends paying attention to the expression on Bob Casey’s, i.e., the presiding senator’s, face just before and after the Kleagle speaks. Between Byrdie and Strom Thurmond, it may be time to start thinking about mandatory retirement ages. Like, say, 85 or so.

The entertainment begins in earnest about two minutes in.

Update: Ace titles this clip, “Another Former Member of Terrorist Organization Admits Al Qaeda Threat.”

Comments

See, see, Teddy is not the bottom of the barrel.

TunaTalon on July 18, 2007 at 3:09 PM

Ten beers?

Criminy. At least now we know what you do with the three yours a week you’re away from this blog.

Still, Byrd is not terribly coherent on the best of days, so this video is par for the course as far as I’m concerned.

Slublog on July 18, 2007 at 3:12 PM

See, see, Teddy is not the bottom of the barrel.

TunaTalon on July 18, 2007 at 3:09 PM

No, senility is a definite step up.

logis on July 18, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Man that’s tough to watch…..How does his constituency justify electing his senile ass back into office over and over again? He must have filled a lot of pockets with pork over the years. That’s the only explanation I can think of.

commonsensehoosier on July 18, 2007 at 3:13 PM

You need lots of vitriol to make it big in the Klan, and I’m sure that just keeps him going. Really good to see that our country has a basket case like this in the senate in time of war. He and Ted wouldn’t make a good set of bookends.

The fact that all the victims in his party give him a pass seems to nullify their status.

Try painting a Hitler mustache on Harry Reid sometime. I think the Dems in the senate have a lot of ‘splainin to do.

Hening on July 18, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Truth be told, he’s no more incoherent than I am after ten beers.

After ten beers, Byrd probably engages in anti-semitic tirades like Mel Gibson. Make that one or two beers.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on July 18, 2007 at 3:19 PM

If even that much.

Esthier on July 18, 2007 at 3:19 PM

commonsensehoosier on July 18, 2007 at 3:13 PM

My thoughts exactly, and I live in MA, the home of fat boy and the war hero

striper1 on July 18, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on July 18, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Yeah, a man his age has got to be a lightweight.

Esthier on July 18, 2007 at 3:20 PM

I work in Huntington, WV. I can’t get to work without driving on a bridge named after him or passing more than one building named after him.

Makes me sick.

wildcat84 on July 18, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Less than a year ago, 64% of W.Va. voters chose this man as the best human being, in the entire state, to represent them in the U.S. Senate.
Crap politics indeed.

billy on July 18, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Good lord. C’mon Allah, the Democrats probably have an army of staffers dedicated to making Byrd seem cogent.

Zach on July 18, 2007 at 3:21 PM

He’s a tough old crow, I have to admit. Totally unintelligible but hey, he’s 90 and still alive. LOL!

Lennie on July 18, 2007 at 3:21 PM

I’m listening “Sheets”, I’m listening.

Complete7 on July 18, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Who knew? The “homeland” is actually a small spot on the floor of the senate chamber.

morganfrost on July 18, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Oh my goodness….

Here!….. here!!

rightallthetime on July 18, 2007 at 3:24 PM

He should be sitting on his front porch, waving his fist at all the kids playing in the street, and yelling at them to stay the hell off his lawn.

dalewalt on July 18, 2007 at 3:25 PM

commonsensehoosier on July 18, 2007 at 3:13 PM

He certainly has enough named after him, including an illegal statue.

The guy even named a college scholarship after himself that students up here in Maine can apply to receive. The man is shameless.

Slublog on July 18, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Its like listening to a tape recorder when the batteries are low.

EnochCain on July 18, 2007 at 3:28 PM

commonsensehoosier on July 18, 2007 at 3:13 PM

This pathetic old man is known as the “King of Pork’ by his constituents back in West Virginia. It is way past time for him to hang it up. What a country – people like him and Ted Kennedy, et al , drafting and passing legislation to tell us how we live our lives. God help us!

OBX Pete on July 18, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Does anyone doubt there are prompts in the text which say “POINT NOW!” “SHOUT NOW!”

And the Secretary has a “gut feeling”! Now there’s a reason to act! The Secretary has GAS so let’s act! What a bunch of idiots and we pay their salaries!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on July 18, 2007 at 3:29 PM

I’ve lived most of my life in NY. My two senators are Schmuckie and Shrillary. I am forced to admit, most NY’ers must be a-holes.

Now, it follows then, that we are near relatives of W. Virginians.

JiangxiDad on July 18, 2007 at 3:31 PM

ROTFLMFAO

That was the funniest thing I’ve seen in years.

Good Lt on July 18, 2007 at 3:34 PM

He reminds me of Lyle from Napoleon Dynamite

Lyle: Over there in that dry creek bed, I found a couple of Shoshone arrowheads.

heatherrc77 on July 18, 2007 at 3:34 PM

I’d vote for Byrd long before I’d vote for Kennedy,Kerry,Reid or Clinton!!!

DCJeff on July 18, 2007 at 3:34 PM

I think I’m catching a whiff of Jim Beam off my monitor…

Byrd gets elected because he brings home the bacon. FBI finger-print center, a NASA installation, lightly travelled interstate highways etc. You name it – he gets the federal govenment to pay for it.

I wouldn’t be surprized to see a Republican take his seat next time around though. The balance of power has shifted way to the right in WV since the Democrats have become the party of the elite.

forest on July 18, 2007 at 3:38 PM

West Virginia huh? Do the residents of WV need to have their teeth removed in order to vote? Best imitation of Foghorn Leghorn and Foster Brooks I’ve ever seen and heard. He has to be half way through a mason jar of moonshine.

Kini on July 18, 2007 at 3:39 PM

I’ve got 5 bucks that says Byrd has depends on under that suit.

swami on July 18, 2007 at 3:39 PM

I don’t know the answer to this, but how many Saudis and Muslims from other Middle Eastern countries are in this country on visas, visas provided by the Bush State Department? This combined with the illegal immigrant problem makes me chew nails and spit tacks. I don’t even care what Byrd says. Bush is incompetent and ties the hands of those who are willing to do something about it. Johnny Sutton should be sharing a cell with Nifong.

archon2001 on July 18, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Good Lord, this poor guy is about 5 minutes from wandering away and getting lost in the capitol building. I wonder if anyone has ever found him walking around outside, naked as a jaybird muttering to himself. Part of me feels sorry for him and part of me can’t figure out why the hell this guy is still doing state business. As noted earlier, there really does seem to be a need for some type of age limit for these guys.

Guardian on July 18, 2007 at 3:40 PM

I thought I was listening to Foster Brooks.

fogw on July 18, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Wow. Bet he can’t even get a driver’s license anymore, and yet he’s allowed to help run the country–in a time of war, no less. Yikes. Somebody give that man his gold watch and a retirement party and send him on home already. No disrespect for seniors intended, but there’s a time when one needs to step aside, y’know?

aero on July 18, 2007 at 3:43 PM

WOW…Yo sheets…were you out drinking with teddy or is that the real you…???…God Bless WVA for electing you…you are right in there with sharott b and georgie v of Ohio…not to mention fat teddy and the war hero of MA…

areseaoh on July 18, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Rantings from the Klu Klux Klan… when you need a vacation from the Democrats.

Rantings from a fool who was the Klu Klux Klan… when you need a vacation from reality.

Better pay attention. Is anybody listening?

I think Bryd had “The Wall” playing in his hearing aid.

Griz on July 18, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Crap Pork politics indeed.
billy on July 18, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Fixed that for ya.

eeyore on July 18, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Slublog on July 18, 2007 at 3:25 PM

My pet peeve.
Walking, talking, quavering reason why living elected officials should be barred from naming any tax-payer funded edifice of any sort after themselves.
The guy is a Third World politician. Elected to go to the capital to get whatever money possible to send it back to his own village.

naliaka on July 18, 2007 at 3:51 PM

What’s Byrd pulling down for salary? $200,000 plus?
This Senate all-nighter should have had a “YOUR TAXES BEING WASTED METER” in the upper right corner of the screen, with the opportunity cost dollar amounts lost per second.

naliaka on July 18, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Did he say, “people out there… on my highways and bi-ways, the mountains, and the valleys….”? Classic Byrd-speak.
Randy

williars on July 18, 2007 at 4:00 PM

Forget about age limits. Term limits.

Term limits for appointed federal judges and supreme court justices (six years), senators (two terms), and congressmen (six terms).

archon2001 on July 18, 2007 at 4:00 PM

My grandparents (natives of West Virginia) left there in 1903 and never returned. If Byrd is anywhere close to “representing” his constituency, then I suspect that my grandparents did EXACTLY the right thing.

CyberCipher on July 18, 2007 at 4:01 PM

I can’t even listen to more than a couple minutes of that incoherent rambling.

That’s more like ten beers interspersed with rounds of tequila shots (Patron Anejo, of course).

flipflop on July 18, 2007 at 4:15 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Byrd does a lot for his constituency and at least maintains his integrity. He pays little to no attention to special interest groups b/c he’s older than the hills and just doesn’t give a d*mn. He does what he thinks is right. I don’t always agree with him, but at least he doesn’t walk around with his tail between his legs waiting for someone else to tell him what to do and I certainly don’t compare him to murdering, alcoholic scumbags like Teddy just b/c he’s old.

hollygolightly on July 18, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Oh my goodness….

Here!….. here!!

rightallthetime on July 18, 2007 at 3:24 PM

ROFL. I thought he was going to tip himself over!

RushBaby on July 18, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Byrd joined with other Southern and border state Democrats to filibuster the Civil Rights Act of 1964, personally filibustering the bill for 14 hours — a move he now says he regrets.

He will never learn.

Zaire67 on July 18, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Senator Byrd, in spite of age and other issues, comes down on the correct side of more issues than a lot of his cohorts. His voting record is much better than Kennedy, Durbin, Boxer, Kerry, Reid or Clinton to name just a few. Give the old man a little break. This is also the reason that WV sent him back to the senate “one last time”.

duff65 on July 18, 2007 at 4:43 PM

God love that old bastard, but rhetorically he’s no different than any other disingenuous Democrat SOBs, his age notwithstanding.

Also, is it just me or does he make “safety” into a three-syllable word?

Kensington on July 18, 2007 at 4:46 PM

As Dirty Harry said: “A man has got to now his limitations.”

pocomoco on July 18, 2007 at 5:05 PM

Im in my mid 40s and Byrd was a Senator before I was even born.

I worked on a couple of campaigns to defeat him.

Sadly WV is byrdland. He has his name plaster all over the state. Other than Florida no other state has a higher number of senior citisens. Its Social Security and Union issues that keep Byrd and Rockefeller in power.

William Amos on July 18, 2007 at 5:05 PM

One world. SENILE.

madne0 on July 18, 2007 at 5:05 PM

His staffers are running that show; Byrd’s just a sock puppet for some unelected guy who’s making decisions about millions of taxpayer dollars. Sadly, that’s probably true for a lot of senators who don’t even have the excuse of senility.

Laura on July 18, 2007 at 5:08 PM

I’d like to see Sheets and Jim Webb tangle. Heh.

TinMan13 on July 18, 2007 at 5:19 PM

When Byrd retires, he’ll be able to get a job conducting an orchestra. But it might have to be an orchestra at a retirement home because of all those…….pauses.

eeyore on July 18, 2007 at 5:20 PM

Allow me to quote again from the record:

This is my Homeland
This is your Homeland
On the floor beside me
Hopin’ we git some safe-a-tee…

Are ya payin’ attention? LOL

Send great-grandpa home. Now.

rockbend on July 18, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Nope, nobody is listening – HERE!

On-my-soap-box on July 18, 2007 at 5:26 PM

Are you……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..listening? Hear………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….me?

JWS on July 18, 2007 at 5:58 PM

Boy did that get messed up! Nevermind…

JWS on July 18, 2007 at 6:11 PM

visually dramatic destruction

is what I would have been tempted to engage in had that man talked any longer….ie ripping all my clothes off and running screaming from the chamber.

On a serious note, his staff and his family are doing him no favors allowing him to continue trying to serve. He should be allowed to retire with some dignity. I never liked the man, but I really do feel guilty for laughing at him during this speech.

austinnelly on July 18, 2007 at 6:28 PM

I’m sorry, I know he’s an old man, but am I the only one who looks in his face and sees the devil?

RightWinged on July 18, 2007 at 6:29 PM

The Kleagle has left the building…

JWS on July 18, 2007 at 6:31 PM

With all the HERE’s and IS ANYBODY LISTENING’s can we get this clip recut with Pink Floyd’s Comfortably Numb playing in the background?

RW_theoriginal on July 18, 2007 at 7:19 PM

At 90 years do ya ever reach a point where ya say screw it I’ll be dead anyway.

frreal on July 18, 2007 at 7:23 PM

Some of you folks are being a bit rough on him. He’s lived a long time and seen a lot of things. I just hope I live that long and have enough respect from people that they would re-elect me even though I was like that.

As far as what he said I wonder where he stood on amnesty. Here we have a senate that has appropriated more money that Bush wanted because of the big terror threat. Yet, they won’t even secure the border. I think there are a lot of senile folks in the senate.

boomer on July 18, 2007 at 7:34 PM

I can’t watch the whole thing… it’s just “icky.”

MsUnderestimated on July 18, 2007 at 7:39 PM

boomer on July 18, 2007 at 7:34 PM

FYI, Byrd was strongly against shamnesty from the very beginning.

hollygolightly on July 18, 2007 at 7:43 PM

FYI, Byrd was strongly against shamnesty from the very beginning.

hollygolightly on July 18, 2007 at 7:43 PM

It is certainly unfortunate he was unable to take a lead on the issue.

Thanks for letting me know.

boomer on July 18, 2007 at 7:52 PM

The last time I watched him speak like this, the font size he was reading was probably 1″ tall. He’d say a dozen or so words and then flip the page. These look pretty big too.

csdeven on July 18, 2007 at 8:03 PM

wildcat84 on July 18, 2007 at 3:20 PM

WV politicians name everything after themselves. Before moving to Huntington, I lived in Morgantown. That area if rife with buildings, streets, bridges, schools that are named after the blowhards. A visitor to the state would believe there are only three families that live here: Byrd, Manchin and Mollohan.

hollygolightly on July 18, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Byrd took money from Moveon.org. Quite the special interest group. When it hit local talk radio, even the “conservative” hosts were defending him.

jeffNWV on July 18, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Crap politics indeed.

billy on July 18, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Uhh… have you had your water tested?

oldleprechaun on July 18, 2007 at 8:48 PM

No matter what you think of him, he serves a useful purpose for us.

He’s our poster child for congressional term limits.

Kowboy on July 18, 2007 at 8:56 PM

jeffNWV on July 18, 2007 at 8:25 PM

At least when he teams up with special interest groups (and yes, moveon.org SUX, agreed), it’s for things like this:

“to stop – at least for now – a sneaky effort by George W. Bush and his Republican congressional allies to wipe out federal overtime pay protections for millions of American workers.”

I’m from near Huntington originally and went to WVU so I definitely know what you mean about those names being on virtually everything!

hollygolightly on July 18, 2007 at 8:58 PM

Sorry, screwed up those quotes entirely…

hollygolightly on July 18, 2007 at 8:58 PM

No matter what you think of him, he serves a useful purpose for us.

He’s our poster child for congressional term limits.

Kowboy on July 18, 2007 at 8:56 PM

Amen bro…

JWS on July 18, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Byrd needs to go have about “ten Beers” with John Lovitz !

abinitioadinfinitum on July 18, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Splicing this up would make the BEST series of campaign commercials, EVER!

You could cut the “who is listening bits” into like 5 different ads that make it seem like the speech goes on forever and ever; and an ad, standing all by itself, that has him twirling his arm around for a while.

lorien1973 on July 18, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Saf-e-ty, indeed. I really feel safe now. And honored and respected, as a country. Tragi-comedy.

How about at 75?

Entelechy on July 18, 2007 at 10:28 PM

I actually made it through the whole thing. It wasworth it for the look at the end. While he was talking, a line from Homer Simpson came into my head
“If you keep talking like that, we’re gonna put you in a home.”

PowWow on July 18, 2007 at 11:15 PM

His hair looks as white as a klansman’s hood.

Not that there’s any connection, of course.

profitsbeard on July 18, 2007 at 11:49 PM

Congressman and Senators should retire 65.

modnar on July 19, 2007 at 12:43 AM

Right here.

Seixon on July 19, 2007 at 6:53 AM

Leave it to West Virginia to vote him in. He’ll be there ’til he dies. Man that state is thick.

Vaporman87 on July 19, 2007 at 9:01 AM