Video: Jet Blue chief spins Yearly Kos sponsorship on O’Reilly

posted at 5:55 pm on July 17, 2007 by Allahpundit

We’re way late with this, I know, but people are writing about it so here you go. Ace lays into Roger Simon for his “rising tide lifts all boats” argument given that we all know sponsorship will be limited to boats of one ideological stripe (particularly if those sponsors owe George Soros favors). I’m less sure of that than he is but there’s no question the nutroots would be lining up to torpedo a right-wing blog convention, so whatevs. O’Reilly should have been more thorough, though, in explaining if the stuff he cited was from the front page or the comments. There’s plenty of material from the Chairman himself to use here, starting of course with “Screw Them” and continuing through to his none-too-subtle death wish earlier this year for one of Bill’s own correspondents. Cherry-picking comments simply weakens a strong case.

Oh, and Bill: The Pope is a primate. Really.

Comments

I think he’s right. The people will draw their own conclusions. I just think sponsoring the Kos convention is a rather dumb move by Jetblue from a business perspective though. I guess time will tell whether or not I’m right about that.

Zetterson on July 17, 2007 at 6:01 PM

Can you still dig up old 9/11 conspiracy posts or anti-semiticZionist posts, or were they all purged? I know they keep eyes out for that stuff now.

Bad Candy on July 17, 2007 at 6:01 PM

I can’t get logged in over at Michelle’s, but many lefties are saying that many readers and commenters of Michelle’s are sending Kos death threats and such over this. So one of her commenters asked her if she condoned that.

Here is what Michelle said:

“Show me exactly which of my readers are sending death threats and hate emails to anyone, and I will ban them from commenting here.”

And THIS is the difference between Kos and Michelle. Michelle would ban those who did that. Kos, on the other hand, would praise his commenters for doing that to a rightwinger.

Rightwingsparkle on July 17, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Most of the comments on dKos are pretty rational, if far left thought can be called rational. You can cherry pick outrageous comments from most blogs, especially one with a format as open as kos.

Bill should have stuck to diaries that made it to the front page, or comments from the people running the site. I’m sure there still would have been plenty to choose from.

BadgerHawk on July 17, 2007 at 6:03 PM

“I’m not going to mix politics in the running of our business.”

OK, then why sponsor the convention? How is that not mixing politics?

corbettw on July 17, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Honestly? I think JetBlue probably just considers Kos a nice leftwing site. They probably have no idea the stuff that is said there that is blatant anti-American. I can’t imagine that they know the bigotry against Christians that is spewed almost daily there.

At least, that is what I am hoping.

Rightwingsparkle on July 17, 2007 at 6:04 PM

Oh, and Allah, I think we both know that the Koskids were trying to describe the Pope as a monkey or an ape, despite the fact that humans are included.

Rightwingsparkle on July 17, 2007 at 6:07 PM

If O’Reilly went into detail about dkos and blogs to support the story, then he might have cut into the time allotted for his segment about Anna Nicole Smith’s doctor. That would have been a tragedy….

rw on July 17, 2007 at 6:13 PM

“I think people can draw their own conclusion”

Indeed.

Citizen Duck on July 17, 2007 at 6:14 PM

Good business model, so long as the KosKids can get their moms to spring for a JetBlue ticket to get them out of the basement, the stockholders will ge golden with it.

bbz123 on July 17, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Man, some of you people over analyze and over intellectualize everything. O’Reilly’s point was well made and the audience understood it perfectly. The quotes, no matter where they came from reflect the tenor of the site. JetBlu decided to sponsor their convention and hence, implicitly endorse it and need to explain why.

If a company had sponsored an FR, LGF, or even HA convention you can be damn sure the MSM would call them out on it. Turn about is fair play. It tell the other side that the playing field is being leveled. If they don’t want these tactics used on them, they had better stop using them too.

TheBigOldDog on July 17, 2007 at 6:16 PM

PS – Don’t forget, before this guy got ambushed, he was given a chance to explain his decision. He chose not to.

TheBigOldDog on July 17, 2007 at 6:20 PM

Thanks to this moron, I will never ever patronize JetBlue as long as I live. Nor will any of my right minded friends. Go business move there, Chuckles.

Andy in Agoura Hills on July 17, 2007 at 6:23 PM

Feh…I’m a Delta loyalist, anyway. That’s about 100,000 miles a year that JetBlue definitely won’t get.

flipflop on July 17, 2007 at 6:24 PM

Just business as usual? Perhaps, but more like favors.

Kini on July 17, 2007 at 6:27 PM

So JetBlue’s new motto will be:

We’re really Our There, too?

Free tinfoil hats on every flight!

profitsbeard on July 17, 2007 at 6:32 PM

Overlooking all financially-starved charitable organzations, Jet Blue sponsors…

Zach on July 17, 2007 at 6:33 PM

(Sorry, typing too fast on a cramped laptop, and meant:)

We’re Really Out There, too!

Fly the Loopy Skies of JetBlue.

profitsbeard on July 17, 2007 at 6:33 PM

A lot of families are boycotting Ford because it supports the ghey agenda. Ford’s profits have been in the dumps ever since. I won’t be surprised when families who notice these things pull the plug on Jet Blue as well.

Guardian on July 17, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Jet Blue should sponsor Al Qaeda sites, too. Hell, why not? – “I’m not going to mix politics in the running of our business.” Hezbollah, too. Islamic Jihad, too. Hell, it’s just business.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 17, 2007 at 6:42 PM

At least, that is what I am hoping.

Rightwingsparkle on July 17, 2007 at 6:04 PM

I suspect you’re mistaken. The people running corporations aren’t going to sponsor something without having at least a remote notion of what that thing is about. Even if the JetBlue exec’s didn’t know about death threats and other obviously questionable content, they at least know that Kos is a leftist political site, and are consciously supportive of that. Most likely they are, like the execs at Google and a variety of other relatively new businesses, Democrats (or worse).

At any rate, the result is the same: Money spent with JetBlue results in money given to the nutroots. That’s reason enough for me to not spend money there.

Blacklake on July 17, 2007 at 6:57 PM

i think the installation of a “troll-rating” mechanism attatched to every diary, post and comment there obviates the “representativeness” issue. every sentiment o’reilly cited remains on the site with positive remarks because members of the dkos community cliked on the button marking their approval. simple as that.

the kos people are among us, as coworkers and neighbors and such, so i understand that there’s a psychological need to be charitable with them. but the ugly truth is that they are not like us, and they concienciously strive to separate themselves from the rest of us.

when we dissagree with someone, we accept that we think differently. when a progressive identifies someone who thinks differently, they have to hate them. to the point of tracking them to their homes and harrassing or assaulting them. or, as in a recent instance involving a soldier and an antiwar activist, shooting them point blank in the chest. if you disagree with a progressive, they will lie to you and about you from that point on. they cease to identify you as a human and instead regard you as an existential obstacle.

jummy on July 17, 2007 at 7:08 PM

lets have this be clear, and this can’t be refuted.

progressives want millions of iraqis to die in genocide, just so the u.s. loses, and then, only as an abstract strike against impulses towards patriotism and american exceptionalism of which they disaporve.

progressives are quite litterally as close to being monsters as it gets, realisticly.

jummy on July 17, 2007 at 7:14 PM

The interviewer jesse Waters, I think his name is, needs to learn how to speak. Sounds like me when I was 14. That Barger guy was caught dead in the water, no pun intended, and Jesse could barely stammer the salient question out of his mouth to nail him with it.

jihadwatcher on July 17, 2007 at 7:15 PM

You know Jummy, this is very true. I can’t speak for other conservatives, but I will tell you, point blank, I am no better than them in that regard. What you describe is exactly how I feel about the “progressives.” I don’t think of them as totally human after I discover their politics. As you pointed out, they really are monsters. And if it is any consolation, the way they treat and think of us, I think of, and treat, them.

jihadwatcher on July 17, 2007 at 7:20 PM

I agree about Bill not researching the comments/posts thing enough, but what’s important here is the Jet Blue CEO not disavowing the comments. He could have said “we completely disagree with that”, regarding Iran having the right to attack Israel and that attacks on coalition forces are justified, etc. Sad that he didn’t even have the pouch to just say “no, that is not our position!”

That said, it’s pretty sad I can’t fly these guys now… They are big time here in Burlington, VT, and they’ve recently set up shop in Nashville where I’d like to go back and visit and had planned one flying JetBlue (whenever I do) as they are really our only low fare carrier here. Everybody up here flies with them. My land lady goes to FL 7 months out of the year and she just booked tickets a few days ago. While O’Reilly thinks this will hurt their sales, I doubt it will have an impact… and I’m sure up here it would only boost their sales.

RightWinged on July 17, 2007 at 7:58 PM

I fly frequently for work, but JetBlue doesn’t service where I fly.

If they did. I would walk to my destination.

Montana on July 17, 2007 at 7:59 PM

At SWA, Herb is conservative (albeit a hard partyin’ conservative) but he keeps his politics out of his business and he DOESN’T let it cut his customer base in half. That was just a stupid move on jetBlue’s part. On the other hand, jB is based in the leftist mecca of NYC, therefore maybe it’s not such a bad idea after all.

Ford, Heinz and now jB. Who’s next to be boycotted by the Right? And hey, I thought Libs HATE capitalism?! What’re they doing running big businesses??? I thought only eeeeeeevil Rightwingers did that?!

Tony737 on July 17, 2007 at 8:06 PM

At the end of the clip, did it sound like he said Kostumers?

jeffNWV on July 17, 2007 at 8:06 PM

Although he dumped most of it, at one time Soros owned a big chunk of JetBlew stock. No surprise they’d sponsor the Koskids.

If any of you haven’t seen it, Michelle is sponsoring a JetBlew logo contest on her site. Definitely a must see. It’s hilarious.

Kowboy on July 17, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Since their inception, I have gone out of my way to fly Jet Blue. I have juggled my time and my dates to fly them. I will never fly them again even if I have to take the “hound” to my destination. They are dispicable and have lost, in my humble opinion, the base that they once had.

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE on July 17, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Yeah I saw. Funneh.

Ryan Gandy on July 17, 2007 at 8:40 PM

This is going to rank among my top ten lamest comments, but here goes anyway.

They are called jet BLUE!

OK soapbox, come and get me.

RushBaby on July 17, 2007 at 9:42 PM

but what’s important here is the Jet Blue CEO not disavowing the comments.

Yes, that surprised me. Which shows you that he fears the backlash from the left more than he does the backlash from normal, well-adjusted Americans. That alone is reason enough to boycott JetBlue. Not only did they sponser DailyKos, but they are actually ideologically invested in it. This is not simply a case of economically punishing a corporation for putting their foot in the wrong place. This is about shunning what clearly can be termed a defiantly un-American, pro-islamic, 9/11 conspiracy-laden entity. So while he says he does not wish to mix bby sponsoring Kos but by not even distancing his company from the nutty comments on the site. Revealing.

jihadwatcher on July 17, 2007 at 9:44 PM

Should have read:

So while he says he does not wish to mix business and politics, by sponsoring Kos he does so by not even distancing his company from the nutty comments on the site when given a chance to do so.

jihadwatcher on July 17, 2007 at 9:46 PM

And, don’t forget the Soros connection. He owns over 10% of JetBlue.

BacaDog on July 17, 2007 at 10:58 PM

Here’s an article posted on Daily Kos a few weeks ago attacking Capitalism and Bill Gates at the same time. JetBlue Executives are idiots of hypocrites. This article laments people who actually still believe Capitalism is a good thing.

Egfrow on July 18, 2007 at 1:02 AM

He’s right, I’ve drawn my own conclusion: I WON’T BE RIDING JETBLUE, EVAH!

georgej on July 18, 2007 at 3:34 AM

Isn’t JetBlue rabidly anti-union? I wonder how that plays for the Kos kids.

bj1126 on July 18, 2007 at 8:26 AM

Rightwingsparkle on July 17, 2007 at 6:04 PM

That’s what Edwards said when he hired his two “hit” bloggers.

right2bright on July 18, 2007 at 8:57 AM

It’s okay…as soon as the lefties take over the airline will change it’s logo to a hammer and sickle and it’s name to “JetRed”.

Golfer_75093 on July 18, 2007 at 9:03 AM

“This is your captain speaking. We are flying at thirty thousand feet at a speed of three hundred miles per hour. Belching tons of noxious gas into the atmosphere, but that is ok because we purchased carbon credits from Al Gore.

If you look to your left, you will find happiness and sunshine. If you look to your right, you will find the O’Reilly stormtroopers strong-arming our CEO and preventing him from getting to the office where he can make further contributions to the Daily Cus.”

Sensei Ern on July 18, 2007 at 9:14 AM