Good news: “Middle Eastern” border smuggling ring operating for more than a year, says FBI

posted at 3:57 pm on July 17, 2007 by Allahpundit

Did I say good news? In the wake of a UK terror plot linked to Al Qaeda in Iraq, on a day when the new NIE names Al Qaeda in Iraq as a prime threat, to describe a smuggling ring involving Iraqis — that’s been operating for more than a year?

I meant delightful news.

The FBI is investigating an alleged human smuggling operation based in Chaparral, N.M., that agents say is bringing “Iraqis and other Middle Eastern” individuals across the Rio Grande from Mexico.

An FBI intelligence report distributed by the Washington, D.C. Joint Terrorism Task Force, obtained by the Blotter on ABCNews.com, says the illegal ring has been bringing Iraqis across the border illegally for more than a year…

The FBI report, issued last week, says the smuggling organization “used to smuggle Mexicans, but decided to smuggle Iraqi or other Middle Eastern individuals because it was more lucrative.”

Each individual would be charged a fee of $20,000 to $25,000, according to the report.

Twenty-five grand, huh? A coyote recently interviewed by Newsweek told them he charges $1,800 a head. Where on earth are impoverished Middle Easterners desperate to do the jobs Americans won’t do coming up with 20K a pop?

If you’re a new HA reader or even if you’re not, read this now. Exit question: My disquiet here means I’m an “anti-immigrant radical,” doesn’t it?

Comments

Smuggling in Old Mexico?
I don’t beleave it.

TheSitRep on July 17, 2007 at 3:58 PM

I don’t know why I read about politics anymore. If I want to stress myself out about things of which I have no control, I’ll pay more attention at work.

askheaves on July 17, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Just reminds me of Mary Katherine Ham’s video.

“Trabajo!”
“Trabajo!”
“Jihado!”

It was funny when the peeps did it. Not so funny here though.

Esthier on July 17, 2007 at 4:00 PM

askheaves on July 17, 2007 at 3:59 PM

I wouldn’t say that. If the immigration debate has taught us anything, it would be that we do have some measure of control here. This is our government. They are our servants.

If they refuse to act like it, then we simply need to remind them.

Esthier on July 17, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Unsurprising.
I’m just glad the NSA can’t tap calls in America anymore.
My civil liberties were severely violated by the Bu$h/Hilter military junta that is in the WH.
To think, BushCo thought there might be jihadis in America. What a laugh.

VolMagic on July 17, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Hey, open borders are a good thing, just look at Iraq.

Bush – “Well, I just hope that those Eyeraqies don’t bring in any of them nooc … newc … nucyouler weapon thingies.”

OhEssYouCowboys on July 17, 2007 at 4:03 PM

That’s what I’d like to know. That $20,000+ a person is just to cross the border. Then add in the fact that they’d have to travel across the globe to even get there. A family of four would be over $100,000, and if a family had that money, they’d have no reason to come here.

Why not just live in Britain or France?

amerpundit on July 17, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Geraldo’s spin: This is a refugee story, not an immigrant story. MSM’s spin: Iraqi’s flee devastation and strife but U.S. doors not open. Tom Tancredo’s Spin: I can save America. That is if America can just remember who I am first. Sigh…..

D0WNT0WN on July 17, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Why not just live in Britain or France?

amerpundit on July 17, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Okay, I’ll dare to answer that….. perhaps they’re not looking for jobs. Only to set up for future ahem “activities” of a terroristic nature….

MNDavenotPC on July 17, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Hmmm.

New Mexico?

Isn’t that were Traitor/liar Joe Wilson and his trophy wife Valerie Plame live?

Coincidence? Or connection…

georgej on July 17, 2007 at 4:10 PM

MNDavenotPC on July 17, 2007 at 4:10 PM

I know. My question was actually rhetorical.

amerpundit on July 17, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Geraldo has more credibility in the immigrant community that Hot Air. Can MMM get him to explain to the Jihadis that the Mexican border is for good hard working people only.

TunaTalon on July 17, 2007 at 4:13 PM

Happy happy. Joy joy.

Yes, AP, these Iraqis are indeed going to do jobs that Americans won’t. Like blowing up hotels and schools. You can’t very well expect us to nerve gas our own malls, can you? We all know that American labor is just too damn expensive. Duh.

AllahPundit: not only are you an anti-immigration radical, you’re a bigot, too. Don’t you know that only neo-facist bigots and Bushitlerburtor lackies oppose the illegal smuggling of potentially dangerous newcomers. We should welcome these undocumented Americans with open arms, ID cards and sanctuary cities.

Next stop, New Haven, Conn! Ariba!

Thomas the Wraith on July 17, 2007 at 4:14 PM

You forgot to add racist bigot, Allah.

KelliD on July 17, 2007 at 4:15 PM

My disquiet here means I’m an “anti-immigrant radical,” doesn’t it?

AP, you are in good compnay.

/like duh!

On-my-soap-box on July 17, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Welcome “newcomers”!

brak on July 17, 2007 at 4:21 PM

Heck of a job, Serpenthead!

Tru2my2 on July 17, 2007 at 4:21 PM

Whatever you do, elected “public servants”….

DON’T SECURE THAT BORDER!!!!!!!

ej_pez on July 17, 2007 at 4:21 PM

Esthier on July 17, 2007 at 4:00 PM

You beat me to it.

I would comment further, but discretion is the better part of valor.

steveegg on July 17, 2007 at 4:24 PM

Why does Bush threaten the loss of U.S. foreign aid unless Pakistan tightens its borders with Afghanistan? Why does Bush publicly complain about Iraq’s porous northern border with Syria, and yet he does nothing about our porous borders?

Bush himself insists on living in a fenced, guarded Crawford, Texas ranch.

Why can’t fellow Americans have the same protection.

ColtsFan on July 17, 2007 at 4:24 PM

My disquiet here means I’m an “anti-immigrant radical,” doesn’t it?

Apologize to Jesus Muhammed Sanchez al-Juarez right now mister! It’s our fault that these poor displaced people are being forced to relocate to the United States. Shame on us!

Thomas beat me to the “doing the bombing Americans just won’t do” comment… *sigh*

lan astaslem on July 17, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Ah, what the heck. Those shouting “Jihado!” as they cross are only going killing those the American Left won’t (including said Left).

steveegg on July 17, 2007 at 4:25 PM

A question for the lawyers amongst us. When the inevitable happens and a major terrorist attack on US soil is traced back to one of these Middle Eastern border crossers, do we have the grounds to start an impeachment movement? I know in order to impeach their must be a violation of high crimes/misdemeanors but is there anything that can be done when the stated policies directly lead to the death of American citizens? Is there some kind of negligence that comes into effect? Afterall, we have Chertoff on record expressing the importance to leave the borders open for the sake of the lettus crops. We have our fearless leader basically pushing open borders because the “newcomers” are here “to do jobs Americans won’t do.” I don’t know. This is beyond comprehension. Its as if this administration just doesn’t want to do what is right for America.

Zetterson on July 17, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Heckuva job!

PRCalDude on July 17, 2007 at 4:36 PM

Maybe that’s why George won’t shut down the border, he’s weighing his opportunities after 08.

Speakup on July 17, 2007 at 4:40 PM

voiceofreason on July 17, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Sigh.

I have just two questions … and I’ve had the same two questions for years now, repeated in my feeble brain every time I read stories like this:

1) Why does an American city have to be nuked before we take the blitheringly obvious step of securing the border – especially since we all know its going to have to happen at some point? Why exactly are my friends and family maybe going to die just to get the government to do what it should already be doing?

2) Doesn’t ANYBODY in the federal government watch “24?” Just sayin’.

Professor Blather on July 17, 2007 at 4:54 PM

voiceofreason on July 17, 2007 at 4:50 PM

I am so with you on that.

Zetterson on July 17, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Kind of puts a whole new view on those poor, driven, hard working people trying to make it across to the land of opportunity. I’m sure Iran and its allies have an open account with the smugglers. Persians, Arabs, North Africans all look alike to the amigos.

Hening on July 17, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Sigh.

2) Doesn’t ANYBODY in the federal government watch “24?” Just sayin’.

Professor Blather on July 17, 2007 at 4:54 PM

1). $$$$$$ cheap labor and votes. Those are my guesses in regards to your first question.
2). Some might watch, but most of them aren’t in this business because they care about anything in that show. They just don’t care. They can’t. They won’t until we make them and we haven’t made them yet.

Its mindnumbingly frustrating.

Zetterson on July 17, 2007 at 4:59 PM

do we have the grounds to start an impeachment movement? -Zetterson-

Who do they impeach? Bush/Cheney? Do you want Pelosi in office?

If we experience a terrorist attack by people crossing the open border, every single open borders politician should be tried and hung for treason. Every single one. There should be absolutely no delay in doing so either. -voiceofreason-

Ya’ think that might be why OSHA is trying to eliminate ammo?

About 2 years ago, a San Antonio tv station ran a news story about 15 Iranians caught crossing the border in Texas. Did it make the MSM??? I didn’t hear a peep, even from Fox.

Catseye on July 17, 2007 at 5:07 PM

A few issues here:

1. “An FBI intelligence report distributed by the Washington, D.C. Joint Terrorism Task Force, obtained by the Blotter on ABCNews.com”

Whoever on the JTTF decided to place the Blotter on the distribution list should be summarily execution in my opinion. Just take them from their desk out to the gutter in front of the building and shoot the person.

2. (From the whore report at the Blotter) “Border Patrol officials in the area said they were unaware of the specifics of the FBI’s report, and federal prosecutors in New Mexico told ABCNews.com they had no current cases involving the illegal smuggling of Iraqis.”

Which is probably good news. If the border patrol doesn’t know about it, chances are the Coyotes didn’t know we were onto them either and we were probably snagging them as quickly as they came into the country. That there are no current cases means these people were probably being instantly dealt with (as in being deported immediately) and not going to court. This would have probably been classified so it doesn’t surprise me that the BP guys didn’t know about it as there have been too many cases recently of BP agents working with coyotes and drug smugglers.

NOW of course, everybody knows and the smugglers will take a different route which we will have to rediscover and this report will, I fear, mean that we are going to end up with guys getting into the country who would have otherwise been quietly picked up and immediately deported.

To Mr. Ross I say “Nice job, moron”. Mr Ross has decided that he is going to be the enemy of his own community and family. I hope he is personally ruined in civil court if his reports result in a successful attack. What a jerk.

crosspatch on July 17, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Upon entering the U.S. illegally, the Iraqis should be able to seek instant protection from CAIR and ACLU. These groups are happy to assist potential terrorists with concealment and rights.

jediwebdude on July 17, 2007 at 5:18 PM

Until recently, the United States has kept its doors all but shut to the estimated two million refugees fleeing the violence in Iraq. Until this year, the country had taken in fewer than 800 Iraqi refugees, according to the State Department. This May, the Bush administration pledged to resettle 7,000 Iraqi refugees here by the end of the year.

The last paragraph of the ABC article makes it seems like every one of these smuggled Iraqis and Middle Easterners are simply refugees and not terrorists. I don’t know the MSM 1) stupidly believes this 2) has been pressured by Islamic pressure groups to censor the story as to not promote “Islamophobia” or 3) doesn’t want to make it seem like there are any bad guys in Iraq.

Of course it will take a massive terrorist attack before we build a fence.

januarius on July 17, 2007 at 5:19 PM

do we have the grounds to start an impeachment movement? -Zetterson-
Who do they impeach? Bush/Cheney? Do you want Pelosi in office?

Do I want Pelosi in office? No I don’t. In fact I shudder at the thought. But her time will be limited and by that point the public pressure to enforce our borders and immigration laws will be so intense that actions will be taken no matter who is in office. So long as there are no more openings in the Supreme Court I don’t care who is in office so long as this administration pays for letting the Iraqis in this story cross the border and bomb innocent civilians. They Bush administration has proven to me that they are complete failures and in most cases aligned with the Dems anyways. Perhaps I’m giving this administration too much credit in regards to the Supreme Court as well. Harriet Miers?? We had to slap them around a little bit for that one too.

I think in the long run it does us good to flex our muscles at the end of a loser Republican president’s time in office. That certainly would send a heck of a message about our unwillingness to allow American deaths because of our leader’s refusal to enforce immigration laws and borders. I certainly hope it does not come to that.

Zetterson on July 17, 2007 at 5:21 PM

CLOSE THE BORDERS NOW!

FireDrake on July 17, 2007 at 5:22 PM

Ya’ think that might be why OSHA is trying to eliminate ammo?

Hmmmm, could be. Do note that it’s supposedly Pubbies that are running OSHA. Actions like that are why I’ve renamed both the Pubbies and the ‘Rats the Party-In-Government.

Catseye on July 17, 2007 at 5:07 PM

But you heard it here. That’s why the PIGs want to shut down the Internet as well as talk radio.

steveegg on July 17, 2007 at 5:23 PM

The President can now order a state of emergency with unprecedented powers and any attempt at impeachment would likely not mean much.

We can have a national referendum or if enough of the Governors get together they can move for dismissal.
The Governors acting together have more power than the President.

Impeachment on dereliction of duty grounds isn’t likely.

Speakup on July 17, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Professor Blather on July 17, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Well, Professor B., it’s because what is blitheringly obvious to many is that this whole story is just more “Reichstag fire”, and the only solution is to impeach Bush and Cheney to – as I heard someone say on TV this weekend – “preserve the last remaining shreds of our Constitution”, on the way to welcoming all “newcomers”.

And Zetterson, if Pelosi had even 10 minutes in office as caretaker Prez, Justice Stevens would retire and, although I don’t think she would appoint Malik Shabazz, it wouldn’t be good, whatever combination of lefty contituencies she would combine into a Justice (lesbian hispanic civil rights lawyers should queue up).

eeyore on July 17, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Speakup on July 17, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Thanks

Zetterson on July 17, 2007 at 5:35 PM

Well seeing as the meat packing plants have not had a problem with finding American help, maybe the ME’s are coming to work on the pig farms.

This is the answer to this report:

1)Bush is not doing well in Iraq, so he creates this story to strengthen his war efforts.

2)The Republicans are losing traction in the Pres race, so this is created because it is the only talking point that works for the Republicans

3)The close the border group is so insane and anti Mexican, that they drummed up this report to further their bias.

4)The FBI has been so under attack for being inefficient that they created this scare story to make themselves look good.

5)Bush wants to pander to the close the border crowd, and this is his way of weasling out of his weak stance. Now he can take a stance based on AQ and not his relationship with Mexico.

6)The military wants to expand their control, so this is a way to increase military presence along our borders. Putting us under military siege.

I am sure there are others.
Select the one above and insert in any one of Rueters, NYT, LAT, CNN, etc. news casts or articles.

right2bright on July 17, 2007 at 5:42 PM

eeyore on July 17, 2007 at 5:33 PM

True, but at least we would be trading a lib for a lib on the bench. The bad guys wouldn’t be gaining anything. Just youth and time I suppose.

And just for the fun of it I’ll ask this: Would you be willing to put a liberal on the Supreme court in place of Justice Stevens if it meant that action would be taken to close the borders and enforce immigration laws? I think its a no brainer.

Zetterson on July 17, 2007 at 5:45 PM

can we build the fence now? please?

Keli on July 17, 2007 at 5:52 PM

How’s this for hair standing? Chaparral, N.M. is a hole that abuts FT. BLISS TEXAS! And is a hop/skip/jump from White Sands N.M.
But I’m sure that’s just a coincidence, right? My rep, ‘Silver’ (Al Queda is mostly Shi’ite) Reyes won’t have a problem with this, I’m sure.
I KNEW I hated Chaparral for a reason…

TinMan13 on July 17, 2007 at 5:57 PM

The bad guys wouldn’t be gaining anything. Just youth and time I suppose.
Zetterson on July 17, 2007 at 5:45 PM

Youth and time are a pretty big deal, which is why the sigh of relief when 50 yr. old Justice Roberts was confirmed registered on anemometers across the country.

My apologies, Z, but that is a no brainer – if you can find me any liberal who would close the borders and enforce immigration laws, I’d be willing to buy you a bunch ‘o beers. I’m afraid that combination is deep into oxymoron territory.
[thread hijack apology]

eeyore on July 17, 2007 at 6:07 PM

TinMan13 on July 17, 2007 at 5:57 PM

As Silver’s your Rep, how about dropping him a note and letting us know what he thinks about the situation/coincidence.

eeyore on July 17, 2007 at 6:10 PM

I love that it is an FBI terrorism investigation and border patrol says they have no idea about it…..

Resolute on July 17, 2007 at 6:15 PM

eeyore on July 17, 2007 at 6:10 PM

I’m in process as we speak, so I’ll hear some bs from his mouthpiece in, oh, about 5 months.

TinMan13 on July 17, 2007 at 6:16 PM

[thread hijack apology]

eeyore on July 17, 2007 at 6:07 PM

No need to apologize eeyore. I agree with you in general but what I was thinking is that if, god forbid, these Iraqis in the story cross the border and light up an American city in their culture’s usual manner. Both the left and right with be united in the goal to close the borders and enforce immigration laws (we already are to a degree anyways). If that attack can be traced back to these very people running accross the borders the game will be over no matter who is in office. Even Nancy isn’t that politically stupid.

I hate injustice. The Bush administration not paying a sever penalty immediately for the above senario playing out would be complete injustice in my opinion.

Zetterson on July 17, 2007 at 6:22 PM

To wit – no one in his office is briefed, he has no position, ‘huge staff, but we haven’t met on this issue yet.’

Duh.

TinMan13 on July 17, 2007 at 6:26 PM

Duh.

TinMan13 on July 17, 2007 at 6:26 PM

Awesome

Zetterson on July 17, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Awesome

Zetterson on July 17, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Ain’t it? And the report is dated last week. Sweet.

TinMan13 on July 17, 2007 at 6:32 PM

By this logic, they politicos can just say: “Now it’s too late to close the borders, so let’s just leave them as is.”

And how do supposedly-impoverished ‘migrants’ come up with $1800 for the smugglers’ fee?

If there’s a WMD attack, there should be mass gallows on the Capitol Steps for all who pushed to keep the borders porous since 9/11.

profitsbeard on July 17, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Thanks for reporting back, TinMan at 6:26.

…if these Iraqis in the story cross the border and light up an American city in their culture’s usual manner[, b]oth the left and right with be united in the goal to close the borders and enforce immigration laws
Zetterson on July 17, 2007 at 6:22 PM

I don’t know what the left’s response would really be, since they would blame Bush for creating the situation with Iraq and Islamophobia & all. Much of the left would go through cognitive dissonance between the need for self-protection and the urge to go all “peace through kumbaya.” So, ???

eeyore on July 17, 2007 at 6:50 PM

President Thomas Tancredo…end of problem..!!!!

Legions on July 17, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Now you guys, they are just coming here to do the jobs Americans won’t do. Like say…manufacturing car bombs.

boomer on July 17, 2007 at 8:06 PM

I don’t have much to add to what’s already been said;

Yet, it is possible that SOME of these Iraqis are decent people, actual refugees, (possibly Chaldean Catholics) that are getting out of Iraq before the seeming inevitable government by sharia law and the purges take place.

Nonetheless, (I live in a little resort town about 100 miles almost directly north of Chaparral) and have been noticing a lot more ‘middle eastern looking’ men with a grim look on their faces on the streets, and a few Hijab and Abaya clad women in the stores lately… Never seen any here before as we are off the beaten path and there is not a mosque within 120 miles.

LegendHasIt on July 17, 2007 at 8:34 PM

October 25, 2006 by Allahpundit

Allah, you were all over this 10 months ago! What a nose for news…

I’m wondering how long the FBI has been observing this issue? A year or more? Maybe watching where these rats where headed, who was helping them, what bank accounts they were using…

Zorro on July 17, 2007 at 8:43 PM

I politely disagree.

Look at the Fort Dix terrorists. These illegal aliens crossed the open and porous Texas border years ago. And yet that fact did nothing to stop Graham-nesty, McCain, Kennedy, Hagel, Kyl, and most of the Democrats from pushing amnesty. Later, when the amnesty bill looked doubtful, the “Grand Schemers” inserted a microscopic bone to the “enforce the borders” crowd of a mere 350 miles fence.

We have known for a very long time
about the connection between illegal immigration and violence.

I understand your logic. I just think Washington DC, including our GOP President, simply do not care.

ColtsFan on July 17, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Illegal immigration and national (border) security is the issue where Republicans can win in 2008. A large percentage of those folks who hate President Bush believe that the borders should be secured and see illegal immigration as a crime and a huge lapse in national security. There isn’t a single DEM candidate who is in line with the American public over the border issue while there are plenty of Republicans who are.

BTW, while we’re still patting ourselves on the back over the McCain Kennedy ShAmnesty bill being defeated the AgJOBS bill is going to give millions of illegals amnesty and permanent blue cards and not a word is being said.

Buzzy on July 17, 2007 at 9:11 PM

BYOIED!

BDavis on July 17, 2007 at 11:19 PM

Zetterson on July 17, 2007 at 5:35 PM

Sure, not trying to be an expert, just passing on info as I understand it.

Speakup on July 17, 2007 at 11:36 PM

Press the red button for english…

christophercube on July 18, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Press the green button for Arabic.

profitsbeard on July 18, 2007 at 12:41 AM

I for one remain confident that the currently constructed 14 miles of border fence will bring this activity to a halt.

second digit on July 18, 2007 at 8:36 AM

If there is bright side: In due time, the Southern states will be majority illegal. Thus, the terrorists will in fact be doing the administration’s job for them: eliminating the illegal populations with suicide bombing missions. ;)

Biffstir on July 18, 2007 at 1:36 PM