Pathetic: Musharraf begs Taliban to let him appease them

posted at 4:42 pm on July 16, 2007 by Allahpundit

“It’s a policy of appeasement,” the Pakistani general in charge of the tribal areas said last month of the “peace treaty” Musharraf signed with the pro-Taliban elders in the region. It’s also now been torn up in the wake of the Red Mosque assault by the local jihadis, who, to punctuate the schism, killed more than 70 Pakistanis over the weekend.

Mush’s reaction? Beg them for reconciliation.

Pakistan held crisis talks with tribal elders to save a peace deal with pro-Taliban militants, amid fears of fresh violence after three weekend suicide attacks left more than 70 dead…

“The government of Pakistan has not scuttled the deal and negotiations with tribal elders continue,” Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Tasnim Aslam told a media briefing in Islamabad on Monday.

The chief minister of North West Frontier Province, Akram Durrani, said the authorities “will try to save the peace deal with tribal militants and hope they will revise their decision to scrap it.”

“The deal is vital for peace in the area and, God forbid, if it is cancelled the consequences will be dangerous,” Durrani told reporters after a four-hour meeting with tribal elders, religious scholars and lawmakers.

Roggio thinks his next move may decide the fate of the government. Musharraf might agree: he ordered parts of the criminal complaint against the country’s chief justice to be withdrawn today. The standoff with the judiciary is what got him into political hot water in the first place, so maybe this is his attempt at defusing that situation before the one with the Taliban blows up to the point that he can’t manage both crises.

He’s looking at $750 million in American foreign aid for Waziristan right now. Exit question: How much of it is going to end up buying weapons for Osama?

Comments

Appeasement is NOT going to work with those people. They only see it as an indication of WEAKNESS in the person or group offering the appeasement. The Taliban and jihadists only respect FORCE and they need to be detroyed wherever they are found. They are just like cancer cells and, if left alone, they will KILL you.
I also agree that we are probably going to be buying weapons for the Taliban by giving the $750 million to Musharraf as he doesn’t seem to understand that anything he does to appease the Taliban is only making them stronger and causing him to appear weaker.
We never learn. We gave weapons and ammo to Abbas in Gaza and who is now in possession of all that armament? HAMAS the people that were supposed to be controlled by all the armament. Now we want to give them $180 million dollars in humanitarian aid AS A REWARD FOR THEIR GOOD BEHAVIOR? How dumb is our government and especially our State Department?

TruthToBeTold on July 16, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Damn. It’s a race between two ticking clocks: the clock counting down to the final confrontation between Musharraf and the Taliban and the clock ticking until the coming big attack on the West, prophesied by Chertoff’s gut.

Tick tock… tick tock…

Thomas the Wraith on July 16, 2007 at 4:57 PM

The fall of the Pakistani government would be serious bad news, especially if it falls into the hands of militants. But hopefully Musharraf has the common sense to kick all the hardliners out of the government before a serious election.

He’s taken a hard-line approach on militants before. But he’s offering the olive branch for now as a show of good will to the international community before he sends in the troops.

And, on a personal note, to all HotAir readers, I need your help. Trust me, you’ll like helping me out.

Nethicus on July 16, 2007 at 5:03 PM

Oh, man, I can’t wait to hear “we have peace in our time.” It worked so well the first time it was uttered.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 16, 2007 at 5:06 PM

Sigh. I really hoped this was going to go the other way. But I guess Gen. Musharraf’s in a pincer, and of course he’s up against one of the most demonic enemies on earth. I wish him the best.

RushBaby on July 16, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Osama bin Laden (may his kidneys rot) had a point in thinking the Americans’ rulers would uselessly exhaust the Treasury if he provoked them. The “federal” government found three quarters of a billion dollars to throw at Waziristan? I want some of that! Good behavior’s done little more than make me a tax-paying cash cow for Waziristan and for expensive weapons that somehow never reach targets in Tehran, Damascus, or Riyadh. What evil do I have to do to qualify for some of that crazy evil-doer cash?

Kralizec on July 16, 2007 at 5:14 PM

What’s the over/under on mushy being overthrown by the Taliban?

Weasel Zipper on July 16, 2007 at 5:24 PM

I hope we’ve got a plan for securing those nukes when Musharraf falls.

PRCalDude on July 16, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Hopefully Pervez is attempting some of that Karl Rove / Bush 2003-2004 psych-out stuff that confused the Dems for a while.

Or maybe Musharraf is echoing Vizzini from the Princess Bride- “I can clearly not choose the jihadi in front of me, but then you would have expected that so I cannot choose the jihadi in front of you either…”

Of course, Door #3…

bordersareforwusses on July 16, 2007 at 5:32 PM

It’s like having the Pakistani version of John Kerry for an ally. Geesh.

congsan on July 16, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Hope India is dusting off that big stick of hers.

Limerick on July 16, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Any chance of delivering that 750 mil to Waziristan with this?

kjspeedial on July 16, 2007 at 5:43 PM

Has Mushie been taking French lessons?

Zorro on July 16, 2007 at 6:01 PM

I’d give it to them in marked and traceable cash.

Entelechy on July 16, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Oy. Sometimes I wish I was a sheeple…

BadgerHawk on July 16, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Bah…I never trusted the Pakistani government in all this. The truth of the matter is simple: America alone has the military might to pave the entire country of Pakistan into Asia’s great parking lot, and Inda is now a nuclear power.

Does anyone really believe that there is any love lost between “Mushy” Musharraf and George W. “Bubba” Bush? I firmly believe that Pakistan, as a unified country, would be more than happy to harbor the Taliban, but for that pesky little fact that the Taliban is an enemy of the United States…

Can anyone present to me a reason that Pakistan can be considered a trusted ally? Was there something that I missed?

gryphon202 on July 16, 2007 at 6:47 PM

Musharraf Pelosi begs Taliban to let him her appease them

Okay that works too. It’ll probably be a headline coming near you soon.

boomer on July 16, 2007 at 7:37 PM

As usual, Entel knocks it outta the park. We’re gonna end up payin’ for the bullets that are fired at our own troops. And the same can be said for the Palis, we’re gonna give ‘em all this money and they’re just gonna turn around and use it against us and the Israelis. I hope I’m wrong.

Mushy needs to grow a pair and step up or else we cut him off, take his nukes and sic the Air Force on Waziristan.

Tony737 on July 16, 2007 at 8:03 PM

I hope this is a sucker play by Musharraf.

Getting them out on the open, and then frying the whole region.

He needs to be doing a lot more crushing of the jihadis.

Because they will squash him and all of his colleagues in a moment if they get the edge.

All of this playing paddy-cake with humanoid crocodiles is baffling.

Just shoot them.

And make wallets.

I’ll buy one.

profitsbeard on July 17, 2007 at 12:38 AM

I sure long for the days of “You’re either with us, or you’re with the terrorists”. Sigh…

revolutionismyname on July 17, 2007 at 8:53 AM

Musharaf antagonizes the Taliban and Al Queda elements… done!
The Islamists cancel cease fire over weekend…..done!
MQ-9 Reapers fly over and start the rain of fire…….

And then I woke up… twas just a dream!

MNDavenotPC on July 17, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Drop the bomb and let God sort it out.

canopfor on July 17, 2007 at 4:32 PM