Mag busts Reuters for using fictional source in “Sopranos” piece

posted at 12:17 pm on July 16, 2007 by Allahpundit

Allegedly using, I should say, although read the piece and you’ll see there isn’t much doubt. Delightful from beginning to end, especially the exchanges between the author, Michael Gluckstadt, and the man responsible for the Reuters piece, Mark Egan. As you’ll see, Egan isn’t just a reporter for the company. And the mysterious Johnny S. isn’t the only problem with the article.

What’s the link between this and the fauxtography scandal? The gratuitousness of the embellishment. Adnan Hajj’s original undoctored photo was plenty dramatic in its own right; he wasn’t adding smoke to a smokeless pic, he was making the smoke more sinister, or trying to in his own hackish way. Same deal here: there’s no easier assignment than man-on-the-street reactions to a TV show, but they wanted a killer quote and whichever stringer or assistant helped Egan out with this got a little too cute with it.

Thanks to Casey B. for the tip. Exit question: Where’s Johnny now? Exit answer: You know where. With Tommy.

Comments

Allahpundit

You mean to tell me that Reuters lied to its readers…No tell me it isnt so…Where is their journalistic ethics???

doriangrey on July 16, 2007 at 12:23 PM

mmmm . . . you’re making me hungry. Got any cheese with that?

Blake on July 16, 2007 at 12:30 PM

If Dirty Harry had referred to him as “Tommy Salami,” that cloture vote totally would have gone the other way.

World B. Free on July 16, 2007 at 12:31 PM

Now thats red meat. lol Johnny Cold Cuts is outraged! Salute Ha Ha

sonnyspats1 on July 16, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Please don’t ban me for this, but I once had a client named Rod Wanger.

There was no warning when he was introduced to me over the phone via a conference call. Being a native Texan, he didn’t see what was so funny….

unamused on July 16, 2007 at 12:37 PM

What a wonderful piece or writing by Michael Gluckstadt. The most humorous line in this terrifically humorous piece?

Egan is … a serious news writer

Here’s a quote from Egan:

I’m not interested in helping you with your article.

No, I reckon he’s not, ha ha. Another reuters cockroach gets pinned pwned by the two-million candlepower spotlight! Right on!

RushBaby on July 16, 2007 at 12:39 PM

This has gone on long enough. I can’t stand to see such a fine journalist maligned.
I’m Johnny Salami and I was at the club that night.
In case you’re wondering what I look like, here’s my picture.

Veeshir on July 16, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Hilarious and not a bit surprising.

If every ‘news’ story was double-checked, I imagine you could uncover many more examples.

Asher on July 16, 2007 at 12:39 PM

mmmmm, that’s some good lookin’ salami right there.

infidel4life on July 16, 2007 at 12:41 PM

I like to think of Johnny Salami as New Jersey’s own Loch Ness monster.

They just make it up. It doesn’t matter if it’s Johnny Salami looking for more “bite” or Special Ops people pulling their hair our because Rummy canceled a mission or a memo from a Commanding Officer in the 70s. They just make it up to suit their needs.

TheBigOldDog on July 16, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Pete Provolone was quoted as saying that Reuter’s will eventually be sleeping with the fishes.

(At the moment they just wrap them.)

profitsbeard on July 16, 2007 at 12:47 PM

a comely hostess who suffered from Irritable Bowel Syndrome and her murderer/addict/screenwriter husband;

I guess they missed the episode where Silvio whacked Adriana.

JammieWearingFool on July 16, 2007 at 12:53 PM

I can’t believe people get PAID for such sloppy work and beefing up news reporting with fictional tidbits…

I could do that kind of stuff in my sleep but no one will hire me to do it.

Sigh.

lostinfrance on July 16, 2007 at 12:58 PM

lostinfrance-

…no one will hire me to do it.

Have you sent your resmume to Reuters?

profitsbeard on July 16, 2007 at 1:03 PM

This Reuters reporter might as well just used a cartoon characters name like Johnny Bravo.

terryannonline on July 16, 2007 at 1:08 PM

It’s amazing that they make stuff up that really doesn’t matter… kinda like Hillary and being named after the then unknown Edmund Hillary.

roux on July 16, 2007 at 1:08 PM

This is hilarious! Reuters has now “corrected” the article to read “said a man who identified himself as Johnny Salami” instead of “said Johnny Salami”.

This Mark Egan guy is a total hack. I don’t know why I still get surprised… this is Reuters, after all.

dave_lantos on July 16, 2007 at 1:22 PM

How much longer can these idiots keep this sh$t up? Last week the LAT changed a story and only posted a correction after the blogs had mocked the living cr@p out of the LAT for their failure to post a correction and here we have RotoReuters publishing garbage they made up as if it was genuine news? Don’t these imbeciles understand that this is why so many people no longer trust them?

doriangrey on July 16, 2007 at 1:33 PM

doriangrey

RotoReuters

Nice!

profitsbeard on July 16, 2007 at 2:04 PM

RushBaby on July 16, 2007 at 2:16 PM

profitsbeard on July 16, 2007 at 2:04 PM

With any luck it will catch on in the blogsphere and RotoReuters will have to do a searching and fearless moral inventory.

doriangrey on July 16, 2007 at 2:17 PM

All this time I thought Johnny Salami was Jim McGreevey.

Kini on July 16, 2007 at 2:21 PM

““Glenn Greenwald” posted a comment over at Gelf. OK, jokers, which one of you is the sock puppet? I KNOW it was one of you!!!”

It’s notable that some of the comments seem very similar to each other. I wonder which ones are Mark Egan himself, and which are his assistants? When you’re in a hole…

Apeking on July 16, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Perhaps Reuters thought he was related to Baghdad Police Capt. Jamil Salami.

Karl on July 16, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Karl on July 16, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Ha! Good one.

The shame of being punk’d by an apprentice.

right2bright on July 16, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Exit question: Where’s Johnny now? Exit answer: You know where. With Tommy.

That’s all I was thinking, while I was reading the article.

PowWow on July 16, 2007 at 10:08 PM

I can’t believe there haven’t been any puns about hiding the salami yet. Is it just so obvious that it’s lame of me to bring it up?

urbancenturion on July 16, 2007 at 11:42 PM

doriangrey on July 16, 2007 at 2:17 PM

Friend of Bill W?

urbancenturion on July 16, 2007 at 11:42 PM

I never sausage a bad joke.

mikeyboss on July 17, 2007 at 12:44 AM