Video: Geraldo attacks Michelle over the Zina Linnik case

posted at 10:03 pm on July 14, 2007 by Allahpundit

The clip runs four minutes but I’ll tell you up front that the first 30 seconds and last 30 seconds are the only parts relevant to the immigration angle. I’m including the full interview with the cop and the Linnik’s uncle anyway, though, for two reasons: first, I don’t want anyone accusing us of having selectively edited anything out (more on that in a minute) and, second, you need to watch it to appreciate how misleading the opening teaser is. Quote:

The tragic story was twisted to aggravate the immigration debate… A little girl snatched and brutally murdered. Tonight her family speaks out on why his “immigrant” label should be replaced by “monster.”

Italicized to reflect the breathless absurdity of the voiceover. As you’ll see, it’s baldly untrue: the subject of immigration never comes up in the interview and thus her family “speaks out on” no such thing. That’s simply Geraldo’s way of framing the segment in accordance with his demented view that you can’t properly be thought of as both an immigrant and a criminal simultaneously. You’re an immigrant until you commit a crime; once that happens, you metamorphose ontologically such that your actions, conveniently, are no longer relevant to America’s immigration laws and anyone who claims they are is just an “anti-immigrant radical” like Michelle Malkin. Note: not even an “anti-illegal immigrant radical.” Just plain “anti-immigrant.”

The line you’re watching for is the very last one, the irony of which is so enormous as to make me jealous that any man could have balls that big. That one line is why I’m giving you the whole segment, in fact; I want you to see for yourself how, in his rush to throw stones at Michelle about unissued apologies, this guy collapsed his glass house.

The good news is, the rematch between him and the boss should make for a hell of an impact segment this week on the Factor.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Instead of using the closing time to assault Michelle on his platform it would have been better suited to give the information regarding donations to the family. When it come’s to this issue Geraldo is extreamly myopic.

ajmontana on July 15, 2007 at 12:01 PM

He is clearly approaching Rosie status. What’s with the breathless delivery? Beyond disgraceful but as long as he has a forum, it will only get worse. Unfortunately MM doesn’t stand a chance. You can’t argue with these types. Logic is central to any debate and it’s like kryptonite to Jerry. People like him almost force ad hominums out of you. It’s that or ignore him. I’d rather see MM and anyone in the future politely refuse to appear with him. I think we can all see how the big “showdown” is going to play out -I could almost write the script. Pathetic…

JWS on July 15, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Geraldo is MM’s 8itch! She made him look bad. Real bad! So he takes cheap shots at her.

csdeven on July 15, 2007 at 12:09 PM

It appears that some forget that Geraldo Rivera compromised military security by revealing information about troop movement during one of his Iraq reports. He actually drew a picture in the sand of OUR troops location!! He was investigated by the Pentagon. I think the Pentagon put out a statement that he was being removed from Iraq.

He was and always will be a shock jock and illegal invader apologist and certainly doesn’t belong on a prestigious cable network like Fox News. My family changes the channel when he appears on screen.

sinsing on July 15, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Michelle Malkin, an anti-immigrant RADICAL? Geraldo is using this pedophile as a “straw man” against Michelle. He could care less about the little girl that was murdered. Geraldo appears to be on a quest to destroy Michelle or anybody else who wants our immigration laws enforced. Keep sending him e-mails and stories from http://www.immigrationwatchdog.com. Send them to geraldo@foxnews.com

DfDeportation on July 15, 2007 at 12:43 PM

He’s an idiot.

BTW, does anyone have the link to the headline about the ex BBC reporter?

Also, shouldn’t there be an archive of headlines?

nottakingsides on July 15, 2007 at 12:46 PM

That’s coming. Sooner than you think.

Allahpundit on July 15, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Geraldo has repeatedly asserted that illegal immigrants have crime rates no greater that the background population, when statistically illgals are 6 times more likely to comitt a violent crime at the Federal level. If one is going to lie to that extent, then I guess facts are meaningless.

pat on July 15, 2007 at 1:00 PM

BTW, does anyone have the link to the headline about the ex BBC reporter?

nottakingsides on July 15, 2007 at 12:46 PM

FloatingRock on July 15, 2007 at 1:09 PM

Geraldo can’t even concede that criminal illegals should be deported.

Is he on the take or what?

Zach on July 15, 2007 at 1:19 PM

I can not wait for the boss’s response on this one! I get to see fireworks two times in July-yeah!!

Vanquisher on July 15, 2007 at 1:19 PM

pat on July 15, 2007 at 1:00 PM

If I’m not mistaken, ALL illegal aliens are here illegally,
therefore, 100% of them are criminals and everyday they are here, they are breaking more and more laws. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Vanquisher on July 15, 2007 at 1:24 PM

oh MY! What a deluded world he lives in.

CrimsonFisted on July 15, 2007 at 2:13 PM

FloatingRock on July 15, 2007 at 1:09 PM

Thanks FloatingRock!

nottakingsides on July 15, 2007 at 2:20 PM

When I see a link to a purported Snopes “debunking” of any “myth” that’s politically charged, I check and check again. Think back to their piece on Al Gore and the Internet, which proudly debunks that popular myth about Al Gore falsely claiming to have “invented” the Internet, with scarcely a mention of the fact that really did falsely claim to have “created” it.

That’s basically the kind of “debunking” we have here. No, his name wasn’t Jerry Rivers, but yes, first name was Jerry (or, more precisely, Gerald), and yes, his last name was a somewhat less Hispanic variation of Rivera. More importantly, yes, Jerry Riviera did indeed become Geraldo Rivera in order to play up his Hispanic heritage in his first job as a reporter. The only twist here is that his last name really should have been “Rivera” all along, but for his mother’s equally lame decision to downplay his Hispanic roots before. When it comes to cheap ethnic identity stunts, this apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

Xrlq on July 15, 2007 at 2:25 PM

What a piece of S&#T !
My newspaper, the liberal “The Arizona Republic” has been quoting the illegal alien Elias Bernudez lately in an editorial and again in the main news section as ” a registered Republican and founder and chief executive of the pro-immigration group Immmigrats Without Borders”. I emailed them and asked if they knew and if so why they do not disclose that he enter the states illegaly and that he was convicted in a federal court and served time in jail.
So far no response to my request for full disclosure.

SIJ6141 on July 15, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Meanwhile, just down the road from the boss;

POLICE BLOTTER: Attempted rape is fifth sexual assault near Adelphi Road

A sexual assault and attempted rape near the Prince George’s Plaza Metro Station on July 5 is the fifth abduction to occur near or on Adelphi Road since late March, Prince George’s County Police said.

“The proximity of each crime, the time of day, the suspect’s description and demands are similar,” Maj. Kevin Davis, commander of District 1, said in a June press release.

But [but BUT!] Davis said yesterday that he does not believe the five assaults are related.

“There is no serial rapist,” Davis said.

All five victims described the attacker as being Hispanic, between 5-feet-2-inches and 5-feet-6-inches, 150 to 160 pounds and 20 to 25 years old, according to the June press release and the latest victim.

The Diamondback will be running a full story next week.

No need to panic… it’s no serial rapist… just multiple copy-cat Hispanic rapists.

Sheesh!

Terp Mole on July 15, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Glad to hear lots of others besides myself find Geraldo such a jerk! I always notice the similarity between him and Jaun Hernandez including the mustaches! Only difference is Hernandez has the beard as well, otherwise they look like and act like identical twins! Makes one almost puke!
Don’t know why Fox has that jerk on any program at all!

hamdude on July 15, 2007 at 7:55 PM

I KNEW I didn’t want to watch that.
Geraldildo is so low on the human scale, he’s not even registering as live. Pond scum with a mouth.
Go look for Hoffa or maybe Amelia Earhardt (sic?)…that might take a while and you can lie all you want.

shooter on July 15, 2007 at 9:25 PM

I just can’t stop laughing every time I see that screencap of Geral-doh! I swear you’re the best at capturing the essence of these nuts…

JetBoy on July 15, 2007 at 9:55 PM

“to make a cheap point shot”

it’s what you really meant, Geraldo. Becuase you didn’t really have a point, did you?

TexasDan on July 15, 2007 at 10:21 PM

Hispanic, it’s the new Black!

Theworldisnotenough on July 14, 2007 at 10:17 PM

Wow, I feel special!

pugsly on July 15, 2007 at 11:03 PM

Rate of crime by illegals. And with 28% of Fed Inmates illegals, the math is easy. Geraldo is aliar.

pat on July 15, 2007 at 11:03 PM

Soundingboard has it right:

Geraldo wears his Latin identity on his sleeve. So he thinks immigrant and Latino are synonymous.
We don’t have to put all of the man’s work in a single bucket. Geraldo’s coverage of the Afghanistan war was excellent. His delivery of dry socks to the Northern Alliance during a winter battle was brilliant.

However, Geraldo is so emotionally involved with the immigration issue that he ends up calling Michelle a Nazi because that was easier than facing the facts.

When the topic is something besides immigration (or OJ) Geraldo is no worse than the average TV investigator.

TunaTalon on July 15, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Thanks for the back up. And you’re also right. His work in Afghanistan was very good.

Alas, when weighed against the bulk of his other work, he always comes up short.

And I guess on the bright side, he hasn’t slid off the deep end into trutherism.

Yet.

soundingboard on July 15, 2007 at 11:47 PM

I cannot stomach Geral-DOH! I love Michelle but I can’t stand him. He makes me want to do an Elvis on my tv. (Blow it up.) But it’s too nice of a tv so I don’t.

Michelle kicks his @ss. He is no match for her. He’s just a monologuing, never-takes-a breath, bully.

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on July 15, 2007 at 11:48 PM

Geraldo is a joke. Remember, his stock in trade is to exploit and profit from others pain.

TheSitRep on July 16, 2007 at 7:38 AM

Anti-Immigrant? How long are we going to wait for an apology on this one.

right2bright on July 16, 2007 at 7:48 AM

You mean the “excellent” coverage where he pretended to be close to danger but (as it turned out later) wasn’t even in earshot?

He’s a worthless phony, and has turned formerly enjoyable commentary shows (like O’Reilly) into FFF. (Fast Forward Fodder — on the DVR)

Michelle would do well to think about falling into his “phony controversy to create ratings” shtick before it brings down her credibility to his level. (i.e. NONE) You can’t argue with a fool and a liar without looking like one yourself……Hard-won advice to the wise.

Keith_Z on July 16, 2007 at 8:10 AM

….just to be clear… I really enjoy seeing Michelle on the tube. She’s one of the few REALLY CREDIBLE sources or hosts that appear on Fox.

I just hope she can stay out of the Fox swamp with people like Geraldo. She deserves to have serious and well-respected opposition….not the Geraldo genus that creeps and eats where serious journalists won’t tread.

Keith_Z on July 16, 2007 at 8:20 AM

Geraldo is so emotionally involved in this issue he’s gone off his nut. His stumbling commentary at the end of the clip is proof enough.

I like the guy, but he’s no longer qualified to speak about this issue in a serious forum.

Malpaso on July 16, 2007 at 9:15 AM

at the end of the segment it almost sounds like he’s praising the guy, so quick is he to stand up and defend him

Keli on July 16, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Geraldo should be replaced with the “Hot Air Weekend Report” with Michelle Malkin.

Geraldo’s 15 years of fame has expired.

George on July 16, 2007 at 10:42 AM

Geraldo is a world-class douchebag.

He always has been. Always will be. If you look up “yellow journalism” in the dictionary, it says “see him.”

He is the worst of the worst of the worst. He’s always been an embarrassment, always been a laughingstock (I’m old enough to remember Al Capone’s vault, you goofy-mustache-wearing twit), and I have no clue at all why he has any air time, or why anybody watches.

Being insulted by Geraldo is a universal badge of honor.

What else is there to say?

Oh – and if thinking we should have some control over who enters our country is what makes you a “anti-immigration radical,” then I’m one of them. Me and something like 70% of the country.

Geraldo, you douche. Somebody check his green card.

Professor Blather on July 16, 2007 at 11:06 AM

Let’s lay off the ad hominems, please. Michelle has to co-exist with this guy at Fox.

Allahpundit on July 14, 2007 at 10:42 PM

For the record, “douchebag” was not an ad hominem.

I was just trying to be succinct. And accurate.

Professor Blather on July 16, 2007 at 11:08 AM

Rip his head off Michelle..

Texyank on July 16, 2007 at 11:26 AM

Rip his head off Michelle..

Texyank on July 16, 2007 at 11:26 AM

At the link Michelle says:

“Geraldo is worse than worthless.”

I’m really looking forward to their next confrontation on Fox.

Give him hell Michelle.

infidel4life on July 16, 2007 at 11:44 AM

I caught the last few moments of his “story” on the Exploding Bank robber. Was it just me, or did he try to link that event with anti terrorism bigotry and illegal immigration.

Zaire67 on July 16, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Geraldo needs to go back to TV shows where people can throw chairs at his nose.

Herikutsu on July 14, 2007 at 10:14 PM

Yet another one of his many lies , it wasnt a chair it was an upper cut that broke his nose look at the clip on youtube .

Mojack420 on July 16, 2007 at 12:40 PM

INS! say it again Jerry or Gerald or Geraldo I>N>S

One more time to make sure you understand I. N. S.!

Very Good!

Altura Ct. on July 16, 2007 at 12:51 PM

Geraldo is a punk.

mcgilvra on July 16, 2007 at 1:56 PM

Geraldo is an OK guy, he just suffers from latinitis. He is so enchanted with anything Latin that he can’t think rationally. When one gets to the point that he just can’t see the problem with millions of illegals ignoring your laws and flooding across the border, chances are the government you would like to see would look somethinglike Mexico or El Salvador. Geraldo is too confused to understand that, but he aint a bad guy.

saiga on July 16, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Geraldo again.. blech!! makes me sick.

Viper1 on July 16, 2007 at 2:38 PM

Geraldo, let me see if I have this right.
He is the character who brought the Hustler Magazine on his program to offer a reward for anyone turning in a republican on sex? Oh yes, I remember him now. When Geraldo speaks, everyone listens. (Yawn)

navy1946 on July 16, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Sadly it is no suprise the Geraldo resorts to typical liberal smear and name calling tactics.

That they choose to delete words (illegal) in this case, shows them for their true color. Yellow journalism comes to mind. Sadly I saw the same usage of language in a Filipino-American newspaper the other day and I could only shake my head.

I am against illegal immigration and illegal aliens on our soldier. I am pro immigrant.

MarkB on July 16, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Maybe this has been noted above…I’m not going to go through all the comments so far.

But the more I think about it, I think he did this because he knows MM has her HotAir website, and knows that if he says her name, it’s most likely going to be posted at this website. And he loves the publicity.

I certainly don’t think it’s appropriate. But it seemed the MM reference came out of left field. So that’s the only thing I can think of.

asc85 on July 16, 2007 at 9:10 PM

First of all, Geraldo…Michelle isnot anti-immigrant. She is anti illegal alien. There is a difference, but obviously you don’t want to see this difference.

Secondly, you stated that as far as you know the suspect is an Army vet. Well, so what if he is? Why don’t you verify this before you try to use buzz words to convince us that this person is not illegally here. Besides, how does an illegal alien join the Armed Forces without proving that he is either born in America or is a legal resident (unless he has fake papers). So, Geraldo, whom are you trying to kid?

Thirdly, Geraldo, do not make the mistake in thinking that Michelle will back down in a debate, fight, or whatever you want to call it. She most definitely will take you on and you will be sorry and feel foolish (remember your last debate with her on OReilly?)

Fourthly, Geraldo, you should try to understand that not everyone who is not white is going to agree with you concerning illegal aliens, or whatever else your agenda is. Just because Michelle is an American of Filippino ancestry, that does not mean she has to agree with everything that every non-white person says. Hell, I am not 100% white, most of the people here are a lot more conservative than I am, but you do not see me agreeing with everything that non-white people say. It depends on the situation as far as I am concerned.

It is the right of everyAmerican to agree or disagree with opinions being said,written about, etc. There is no such thing as lock-step in this country. Too many Americans have died to prevent lock-step and to ensure our Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

The False Dervish on July 16, 2007 at 9:36 PM

Here’s another ILLEGAL alien doing the “jobs” Americans don’t do…

striper1 on July 17, 2007 at 8:47 AM

striper1 on July 17, 2007 at 8:47 AM

That’s the problem with illegal aliens, they have a hard time understanding our language.

I thought the U.S. needed meat packers.

The California jails, and specifically So. Cal, are full of these animals. Let me see, how many dentists, doctors, engineers are sneaking across the borders?

And we don’t want those kind of middle east doctors that have been in the U.K. news lately.

right2bright on July 17, 2007 at 1:21 PM

asc85 on July 16, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Give this man a cigar.

Geraldo’s only chance of publicity, comes at the cost of other more popular hosts. Taking on Michelle, on O’R, can’t get any better for Geraldo. Without these publicity stunts, he would be down the drain.

Think about it, the most watched news show with the Michelle, the darling of the right and evil monster of the left, being yelled at by Geraldo the joke. When Michelle beats him down, they say he is such a loser, of course she wins the debate…and if he gets in a sucker punch (anti-immigrant style) then they hurrah him. The best thing to do is for her to laugh at him and say he is not worth her time. It is a no lose for Geraldo and a no win for Michelle.

right2bright on July 17, 2007 at 1:28 PM

I hope his mustache swallows his head.

congsan on July 17, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Can we please get this grinning idiot off the page.

Even my mouse is sick of it.

Texyank on July 17, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Why FOX keeps this jackass loser on the payroll is a deep mystery.

rplat on July 15, 2007 at 4:10 AM

One mystery that I don’t even want to know the answer to. Perhaps there are some things should NEVER be examined too closely. For example, what if we find out that Fox News keeps him on the payroll for reasons that are as empty as Al Capone’s vault? Doesn’t bode well for Fox News, now does it?

CyberCipher on July 18, 2007 at 9:01 PM

He’s over-the -top insulting to a genuine terror expert. BS. fox is done in this house.

JWS on July 18, 2007 at 9:14 PM

isn’t Geraldo on the front of the pringles can’s ???? I swear it looks just like him hey you suck as a person Geraldo but your chips rock .

Mojack420 on July 19, 2007 at 3:52 PM