Estrich: Lonely older women might take revenge on Jeri by voting against Fred

posted at 5:22 pm on July 14, 2007 by Allahpundit

She’s quite serious. She’s also quite serious in suggesting that anything deemed fit for discussion by bottom-feeding nutroots bloggers should ipso facto be fair game for big media, even though the current meme du jour in the leftosphere involves gay innuendo about Fred Thompson.

Am I understanding her correctly, though? Is she actually saying that Jeri and her ilk hath taken her nookie, and for that Fred must pay?

All of this should support the view that Jeri Thompson’s assets are irrelevant to her husband’s prospects. But I don’t buy it for a moment — at least not among women of a certain age, both married and single, who are liable to play a decisive role in this campaign, particularly if Hillary Clinton is the Democratic candidate.

The reaction I hear from every woman I know, those who have gotten sick to their stomachs over seeing middle-aged men cavorting with girls barely beyond their teen years, is a giant “yuck.”

What does it say about a man who’s busy having babies only two years after being diagnosed with lymphoma? What does it say that he’d rather be with someone who wasn’t even alive when JFK was shot, or at least was too young to remember where she was?

What does it say that he doesn’t care that she doesn’t remember the songs and the history and the fears we grew up with? [Who’s “we”? — ed.] Where does it leave those of us who do?

Dateless is where. And maybe voting no.

I can’t help it. It makes me like Fred Thompson less. And I can’t believe I’m the only one.

Susan Estrich, serious political commentator.

She knows how old Jeri Thompson is, incidentally; she mentions it earlier in the piece. By setting the date ranges as she has (pretty widely too, as women who were too young to remember the Kennedy assassination would be in their mid 40s now at a minimum) she’s emphasizing that this isn’t really about the Thompsons as much as it is symbolic revenge for every member of the First Wives’ Club who’s been wronged. Obama’s wife wasn’t alive when JFK was shot either but since she’s not cutting into any sexagenarian action you won’t hear any complaints about her. Also, as the hit pieces on Jeri start to pick up, keep an eye out for how many of them conveniently omit the fact that she didn’t “steal” Fred from his first wife by any means. They didn’t meet until 1996; Fred and the first Mrs. Thompson divorced in 1985. The Times, to its credit, at least mentioned that fact. It’ll gradually become unmentionable as the campaign wears on.

Exit question: What on earth is that lymphoma remark supposed to mean?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Looks like someone needs some estrichen replacement therapy.

km on July 15, 2007 at 12:30 AM

Fred Thompson will pull votes from people that had previously never registered to vote before. The demographic that Susan is refering to would never vote for a Democrat anyway so her point is mute. Besides J O Joe Scarborough I can’t remember a time when a man did a commentary about a political candidates wife. This broad should either keep her comments to herself or confine them to her chair at the beauty salon. Unite and vote!

sonnyspats1 on July 15, 2007 at 12:43 AM

“Estrich: Lonely older women might take revenge on Jeri by voting against Fred.”
Just as women who have been raped might take revenge on Bill by voting against Hillary.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on July 15, 2007 at 1:05 AM

I think I fully understand her point. Women vote with their emotions whereas men vote with their brains, and the older a woman is the less likely she is to vote on the issues. Won’t my mother and her friends (some of the most intelligent people I know) be surprised by this! I’m always amazed at what a low opinion liberal women have of women.

As far as her lymphoma swipe, I well understand it from Fred’s point of view (imagine that – a man with empathy). Having been diagnosed with cancer myself 6 months ago, getting married and having a family has become a much higher priority in my life than before – a feeling I have found is shared with many men I have met who have been diagnosed with cancer. A potentially fatal disease puts one’s mortality front and center and makes one re-evaluate priorities.

deepdiver on July 15, 2007 at 1:09 AM

baldilocks on July 14, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Never clicking another baldilocks link. ;)

soundingboard on July 15, 2007 at 1:57 AM

deepdiver, I am dreadfully sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

{{{d}}}

That’s a big embrace.

RushBaby on July 15, 2007 at 2:01 AM

Good grief.

This sounds almost like something csdeven would spout.

jdawg on July 14, 2007 at 6:06 PM

Have csd and Estrich ever been seen in the same place and the same time?

Just askin’.

Sorry csd. Couldn’t resist.

soundingboard on July 15, 2007 at 2:19 AM

Susan just needs the tender loving of a warm, capable man.
I wonder if she’s aware of eharmony.com?

Dork B. on July 14, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Thanks alot! Now I have to cancel my membership.

soundingboard on July 15, 2007 at 2:22 AM

Never clicking another baldilocks link. ;)

soundingboard on July 15, 2007 at 1:57 AM

Awww! I promise I won’t hurt ya any more. Well, maybe not. :-)

baldilocks on July 15, 2007 at 2:27 AM

Thanks alot! Now I have to cancel my membership.

soundingboard on July 15, 2007 at 2:22 AM

Part of your ideal woman’s profile is that she be a gravelly voiced screeching harpy?

Sorry, couldn’t resist. lol

Kowboy on July 15, 2007 at 2:30 AM

Awww! I promise I won’t hurt ya any more. Well, maybe not. :-)

baldilocks on July 15, 2007 at 2:27 AM

I wanna believe ya, but you’ve got me gunshy now.

Next time,please take a page from AP’s playbook and give us a content warning. 8->

soundingboard on July 15, 2007 at 2:32 AM

BTW, I’m nine years Estrich’s junior (46 next month and two years old when JFK caught a bullet or few), a divorced woman with no kids. However, it’s not in my nature to be envious of any woman–anyone–who made different choices than I did. If such women are smarter than I, what I say but “you go girl!”

baldilocks on July 15, 2007 at 2:35 AM

No, but I ain’t takin any chances!

Sorry, couldn’t resist. lol

I understand, that seems to be goin around here this AM.lol

soundingboard on July 15, 2007 at 2:36 AM

I wanna believe ya, but you’ve got me gunshy now.

soundingboard on July 15, 2007 at 2:32 AM

Baby, I promise I won’t hurt ya. :-D

baldilocks on July 15, 2007 at 2:37 AM

baldilocks on July 15, 2007 at 2:35 AM

You wouldn’t happen to have a e-harmony profile, wouldya? hehehe

soundingboard on July 15, 2007 at 2:37 AM

Baby, I promise I won’t hurt ya. :-D

baldilocks on July 15, 2007 at 2:37 AM

Well, in that case, just forget it! lolol

soundingboard on July 15, 2007 at 2:40 AM

Hahahaha!

baldilocks on July 15, 2007 at 2:45 AM

Hahahaha!

baldilocks on July 15, 2007 at 2:45 AM

Why are you laffin? I was serious. But I’m a generous and understanding man, so…I’ll give ya another chance. ;-)

soundingboard on July 15, 2007 at 2:58 AM

Oh,I’ll be looking for you (and, possibly arguing with you) later. Good night for now.

baldilocks on July 15, 2007 at 3:07 AM

Hey

Susan teaches college as was fired as the campaig director from the worst Democrat Persidential Bid ever

I see she’s reached new ground

EricPWJohnson on July 15, 2007 at 3:33 AM

Jeri is over 40 and any woman who would treat her like some immature brat who was scammed into marriage to an older man or married him just for money or to escape from her home isn’t much of a woman, an American OR a human being. Screw those dames… On second thought…, DON’T. :P Have mercy on yourself.

I just turned 42 and my wife is 21… I’ve never been more concerned about my health, more careful about my diet, more kind to a woman, more eager to succeed, or more willing to concede. Younger women are GOOD for men. The ones who allow themselves to get uptight about guys like Fred and myself are irrelevant because they wouldn’t marry guys like us anyway. They want metro-sexuals, not retro-sexuals.

That’s right… I consider myself to be in the same category with Fred. Just not of the same caliber. But I have 20 years to get there. ;)

Rugged Individual on July 15, 2007 at 3:44 AM

baldilocks on July 15, 2007 at 3:07 AM

Lookin’ forward to it. But I’m still gonna be wary of your links. Lest I open one displaying a picture of the Hildebeast in a thong bikini.
Shudder!

soundingboard on July 15, 2007 at 4:26 AM

I think I smell Amanda Marcotte’s Birkenstocks burning…

BKennedy on July 15, 2007 at 4:39 AM

Susan has fallen and she can’t get up.

saved on July 15, 2007 at 6:39 AM

Jrei’s 40? Coulda fooled me. The bride’s 16 years younger than me, (but I’m immature so it evens out) Anyway, Estrich’s gotta lotta balls (and I mean that, man). Seen her lately on TV? Her face is as stretched as Pelosi’s. You would think she is too good for that (maybe she is trying to attract the pool boy). So Fred! was running around with Lorrie Morgan?…I’m not a country guy but, that is a WOMAN. Not a little kid but a grown Woman. Dude’s got good taste in my eyes.

LtE126 on July 15, 2007 at 7:56 AM

Estrich is a bitter old Marxist. I have more respect for a man who has a so-called “trophy wife” (man I hate that term) than a “woman” who sports around a philandering husband! Notice Estrich never goes after Shrillery for that.

lynnv on July 15, 2007 at 8:17 AM

Are we talking about Heather Mills, Paul McCartney’s ex-wife, here? Oops! Sorry, wrong thread.

Or is it?

Mojave Mark on July 15, 2007 at 9:32 AM

I was born in 1970. I don’t take political advice from people who consider the sixties their shining moment in time.

Plus, Fred is the man!

They are scared.

Stormy70 on July 15, 2007 at 9:45 AM

What nonsense!!! I’m willing to bet that women(old or young)will find her more irritating than the age of Fred’s wife could ever be.

jeanie on July 15, 2007 at 10:30 AM

Don’t it just?

/got the bad news on Tuesday…but at least I’ve already one all my reproducin’ and stuff

And maybe it’s jut me, but everything Estrich said just comes across to me as a mega serving of petulant snark. And if you are a person who reads that and thinks “Yeah!” you need to seriously reavaluate your own bad self.

Bob's Kid on July 15, 2007 at 10:54 AM

am not a spring chicken either, and somewhere around middle age I hear a not insignificant number of women say something like, “I love my husband, but if something ever happens to him, I’ll never remarry.” So I’m not sure that older will really hold Jeri against Fred!.

anne on July 14, 2007 at 5:58 PM

I’m a bit over 50 myself, no spring chicken….and I count myself among the women you speak of. My husband died 9 yrs ago….I said then I would never re-marry and have not. I can think for and take care of myself….and whoever anyone is married to matters not in the least to me. As long as you don’t expect ME to sleep with him too, whatever color, religion, race, or age your hubby is matters not one whit to me. Estritch is, as ever, shrill and senseless!

dustoffmom on July 15, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Further comment reading brings me to this:

I don’t care if Thompson is married to bisexual siamese twins as long as he pledges to defeat the Jihad.

profitsbeard on July 14, 2007 at 6:10 PM

Well said Sir! I could never have stated it better!

dustoffmom on July 15, 2007 at 11:24 AM

The only way I could have enjoyed that article any less would be if Estrich herself had read it aloud to me.
…because, you know, the voice…sounds like she gargles lit cigars…

Dork B. on July 14, 2007 at 6:19 PM

Cigars? Haven’t I heard about a problem with an older man and cigars?? :)

dustoffmom on July 15, 2007 at 11:30 AM

/got the bad news on Tuesday…
Bob’s Kid on July 15, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Oh I hate to hear this. You and deepdiver have all of us pulling for you.

RushBaby on July 15, 2007 at 12:20 PM

I liked Fred to begin with. Now, add hot wife and declaring his candidacy at the correct time in the process (instead of waaay too early, like the rest), and all the hit pieces I’ve been reading… If the left is this terrified of a man who hasn’t declared, he must be the most viable candidate.

Barntender on July 15, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Plus, Fred is the man!

They are scared.

Stormy70 on July 15, 2007 at 9:45 AM

Ditto.

Barntender on July 15, 2007 at 12:31 PM

I was in college in the early ’70s. These people haven’t let go and grown up yet! This woman is an idiot! Can you imagine a conservative saying something like this about the wife of a RAT candidate? What if Coulter said something similar about Obama’s wife…the press would be howling! Good grief! Susan needs to be put out to pasture! I’m sure FOX News will continue to have her on being the fools they are! In between wall-to-wall Paris Hilton coverage that is…

sabbott on July 15, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Best wishes to those of you fighting cancer! You will be in my prayers!

sabbott on July 15, 2007 at 12:55 PM

If you spent as much money in the past 2 years on plastic surgery, botox and extreme makeovers as Susan Estrich – you would be envious of Thompsons wife too. Maybe she will sue her Plastic Surgeon because she has not landed a 30yo man- I mean doesn’t Susan look like she is 35??????

iam7545 on July 15, 2007 at 12:57 PM

I can see her campaign sign now: Hags for Hillary

Tennman on July 15, 2007 at 1:02 PM

When my ‘Turrettes’ kick in, I sound like Susie Estrous, the seriously demented left-wing hack who ‘channels’ Chuckie Rangle.
I’m glad I missed this and thank you for not including a clip, I haven’t emptied my bucket from the one of Geraldo. It’s bad enough hearing this disgusting criteria for picking the POTUS.

I think F– Hags for Hillie would be a good bumper sticker as well. I was one, (before HRC appeared on the political scene), so I’m not gay-bashing!

Christine on July 15, 2007 at 1:31 PM

Billery had a “trophy intern.”

saved on July 15, 2007 at 1:36 PM

Estrich trying to land a MAN? Is that PC amongst her friends?

DfDeportation on July 15, 2007 at 1:38 PM

I think her name says it all about her Thompson comments..Susan Estrogen…………..

ritethinker on July 15, 2007 at 3:55 PM

The only problem Thompson might have in this area is if there are a lot of pregnant women with “Thompson’s the man” pins on working on his “staff”…….

ritethinker on July 15, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Poor Susan…she’s been so depressed since the Clintons left office that she hasn’t washed her hair since Jan. 21, 2001.

Jen the Neocon on July 15, 2007 at 7:23 PM

I guess it leaves you dateless, listening to your scratchy old lp’s, trying to cope with those fears, and bitterly resenting anyone who has moved on from them.

TexasDan on July 15, 2007 at 8:55 PM

If this is the best they can do, I’d say Fred is in pretty good shape…

D2Boston on July 15, 2007 at 11:56 PM

Sully to Susan Estrogen: Lay off, wench, he’s mine!

Show of hands now. Who here believes that anyone who takes either Estrich of Sullivan seriously would be voting for a Republican to begin with, regardless of their witless attacks?

Freelancer on July 16, 2007 at 9:34 AM

Sadly I think there are some women out there who will vote sexual politics – to make a “statement” to all the oppressive misogynistic men out there. There are a number of women I’ve met who are very angry at men. The particular demographic I see this in among my acquaintances is single moms. They’re bitter about no help raising kids, fighting over child support, etc. (Perhaps they make their own bed, perhaps not. I’m not debating the accuracy of their feelings, but they do feel this way.)

I think most of those who would make a “statement” would never have voted for a Republican anyway. Sounds like your typical liberal/feminist.

I hope not many conservatives or Republican women would be influenced like this!

SSG Fuzzy on July 16, 2007 at 9:54 AM