Sullivan welcomes Peggy Noonan to the Bush-skeptics club she already belonged to

posted at 8:14 pm on July 13, 2007 by Allahpundit

She’s joined “the resistance,” he declares in a telling bit of ironic-but-not-really grandiosity about her latest piece. Actually, she joined more than two years ago, when she said of his utopian second inaugural, “It left me with a bad feeling, and reluctant dislike.” But like all ex-conservatives, Sully fancies himself brave and enlightened in having broken from the wingnut pack and thus arrogates to himself the leadership status required to formally welcome Peggy into some allegedly heroic subversive movement.

But here’s the twist. All along, he’s suggested that it’s not his shrill, hysterical bloviations against the right that’s alienated us from him, it’s our own stubborn wingnuttish fealty to Bush. Quite simply, we’re blinded by our ignorance and “Christianism” to his visionary vision. In which case, presumably, we should now feel the same hostility towards Noonan that we feel towards him, no? Go ahead and read her column, then. Anyone feeling hostile? Anyone squirming with contempt? If not, then dare I say it, the animosity may be less a question of principle than of tone.

Exit question: Now that she’s part of the brave, brave resistance, what membership privileges does Peggy enjoy? The right to float half-assed, vaguely anti-semitic conspiracy theories about Rumsfeld and Cheney? Or, better still, the right to imply that Fred Thompson’s gay?

Comments

I think Peggy should enjoy the membership privileges of a card-caring member of the rational people. And that, Sully can’t give her. Ugh. Let’s leave Sully to his play amongst his shrill, hysterical bloviations alone.

Spirit of 1776 on July 13, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Let’s hit him right back and start a rumor that Sully is gay!

frankj on July 13, 2007 at 8:30 PM

I have always admired the thoughtful and eloquent manner of Peggy Noonan, even when I may not agree fully with her. Her biography of Ronald Reagan moved me to tears. I doubt that she would welcome the attentions of a screeching queen like Sully.

Kimmer on July 13, 2007 at 8:39 PM

Let’s hit him right back and start a rumor that Sully is gay!

frankj on July 13, 2007 at 8:30 PM

Read the link to Ace at the end.

Kowboy on July 13, 2007 at 8:41 PM

Does Sullivan really fancy himself a conservative?

2Brave2Bscared on July 13, 2007 at 8:48 PM

I have to say that Peggys latest column is less shrill and more reasonable than her last Bush column. I agree with her completely in that domestically not only has Bush failed, but he took his eye off the ball a little too much by pushing that craptastic amnesty bill, and he wasted political capital that could have been used more effectively towards the war.

But jeebus, Sully and her have about as much in common as Hillary and Fred.

Tman on July 13, 2007 at 8:55 PM

“I’ve gone through the same cycle as Peggy, just a little sooner.”

Menopause?

Dash on July 13, 2007 at 8:59 PM

I honestly believe that Sullivan would still be a strong voice for conservatism and for the ‘Bush Doctrine’……

If Bush would have just allowed Sullivan to legally marry his boyfriend.

LegendHasIt on July 13, 2007 at 9:20 PM

Peggy Noonan – “With Mr. Bush it is the people who are forced to be cool-eyed and realistic. He’s the one who goes off on the toots. This is extremely irritating, and also unnatural. Actually it’s weird.”

Telling.

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Well there’s all that stuff that Noonan lists but there’s also the part where not to long ago Bush managed to call his base of supporters bigots who don’t have the best interests of the country at heart. I haven’t heard anything remotely that tough on Americans who, you know, are working hard to defeat and humiliate this country. So yeah, the hell with him.

Drew on July 13, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Read the link to Ace at the end.

Kowboy on July 13, 2007 at 8:41 PM

Never!

frankj on July 13, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Read Peggy Noonans articles since March 2001 she’s been anti Bush some say snipply because she was not given the stature that Mary Matlin was.

Old Reaganites like her do not like the second Bush, they feel left out

EricPWJohnson on July 13, 2007 at 10:09 PM

I’m with you Drew. Bush totally lost me on not exactly his support for ShAmnesty but for calling those that didn’t agree with him bigots. I know I’m just waiting for his time in office to end now, and gritting my teeth.

Buzzy on July 13, 2007 at 10:13 PM

Noonan’s column was a verbal bloodlet.

PRCalDude on July 13, 2007 at 10:44 PM

Not happy with Jorge Arbusto but I’ve never been able to tolerate Peggy Noonan. I remember when “What I Saw at the Revolution” came out, her since of self-importance is sickening. I turn her off whenever she comes on Laura Ingraham.

As far as her comments on Bush’s second inaugural address leaving her, “It left me with a bad feeling, and reluctant dislike.” I remember watching her on Fox News that day and her immediate review of the speach was glowing, it was only two days later that she was left with a “bad feeling” and “reluctant dislike”. I’ve always wondered what made her change her mind.

srhoades on July 13, 2007 at 10:44 PM

The most annoying thing about Sullivan was the way he had those pledge drives. Sully always claimed that the expenses of running his site were so ginormous that he couldn’t keep it going unless he was able to rack up $100,000 or so in donations. I always suspected that this was bullshtein and that he and his male lover were pocketing the lionshare of the money.

I believe Allah posted something about this on his old blog. IIRC, he compared the blog comparing traffic at the Daily Dish with other high profile blogs and questioned why Sullivan would need so much money for bandwidth and such.

Mike Honcho on July 13, 2007 at 11:00 PM

That’s interesting, I didn’t know that.

Spirit of 1776 on July 13, 2007 at 11:14 PM

LOL…no one but liberals with an agenda would comment on a Wapo blog anyway…

DCJeff on July 13, 2007 at 11:55 PM

I understand the attitude toward Sullivan, as his often superior tone and “rebelious” stance tend toward the sanctimonious, but attacking his post on Thompson is grasping for straws. Not only does he not even come close to the implication, he gave an earnest explanation. I know he’s become an elitist, but this is where you lose me and, no offense, it comes across kind of cheap; not to mention the tone of Ace’s post.

SouthernDem on July 14, 2007 at 12:10 AM

To hell with Sullivan, because Noonan is righteously indignant, Bush is great now?

“As I watched the news conference, it occurred to me that one of the things that might leave people feeling somewhat disoriented is the president’s seemingly effortless high spirits. He’s in a good mood. There was the usual teasing, the partly aggressive, partly joshing humor, the certitude. He doesn’t seem to be suffering, which is jarring. Presidents in great enterprises that are going badly suffer:”

Just how long ago were we cursing the President for a shamnesty that would have destroyed the nation?

Just how much skin on Bush’s backside is in jeopardy anyway?
Jan. 08 he’s outta here, after that, somebody else’s problem, he’s free and clear, no wonder he’s blithe.

Anything else George wants to accomplish he can do with executive orders (?).

He associated 200 million Americans with the KKK and apparently he meant it as he shows no remorse whatsoever.

Noonan, and every single back stabbed one of us has plenty good reason for a considerably worse reaction (and trepidation) than anything “Peggy Noonan formally joins the resistance today” might regurgitate.

Speakup on July 14, 2007 at 12:17 AM

I’ve long admired her, and given serious thought to her columns and opinions. I haven’t yet taken the “W” off my car, but lord I am getting closer by the day. It’s ‘only’ his determination about the WOT that keeps me remotely supportive of him. I am not quite yet ready to take that ‘W’ off, but it’s getting harder every day to leave it…..so I understand what she is saying and how she got to this point. And in no way do I presume that it has been an easy road for her….as it is not for me. He was ‘my’ President, a man I very much admired. Letting go of one’s heros is always so difficult. >sigh

dustoffmom on July 14, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Hey, I’m going on vacation for a while, but I need help covering my server fees. When all’s said and done, I end up paying about $100,000 a year to the server, so your donations are appreciated. If I don’t get that money– well, it looks like I’ll just have to stop blogging. So please, donate so I don’t have to deprive you of my witty insights.

Nethicus on July 14, 2007 at 1:05 AM

Nethicus-

I’ll do it for $50,000.

And be Whittier.

profitsbeard on July 14, 2007 at 3:00 AM

I’ll do it for $50,000.

And be Whittier.

profitsbeard on July 14, 2007 at 3:00 AM

Would that be this Whittier? Can I be Robert Frost then?

Captain Scarlet on July 14, 2007 at 4:56 AM

Peggy Noonan is twice the man that Sully could ever hope to be! The Fred Thompson rumors are great! He must be touching a nerve! Run Fred Run!

sabbott on July 14, 2007 at 7:03 AM

I’m just alternately very angry and very sad now, and trying to figure out how we can repair the damage – globally and domestically. So far, I have only one serious, provisional thought in that respect: Obama.

Yeah, Sully. Sure, you’re a conservative. Who do you like for Veep, Kucinich?

Peggy Noonan might have gone through something but it is most definitely not anything you’ve been through.

Pablo on July 14, 2007 at 8:36 AM

President Bush will be President until January 20, 2009, not 2008, contrary to a comment above. Whatever.

I’m easy, and I also have my priorities straight: all W has to do for me to forgive all is Win.The.Freakin.War. Then he can hand over to Rudy / Fred / Mitt and on we go. Notice I didn’t mention The Maverick, who has earned a permanent retirement right alongside W.

drunyan8315 on July 14, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Peggy Noonan is a smarmy and elitist individual. She speaks in a way that I suspect focuses on the audience as a less intelligent and informed people. I do not respect her nor her comments.She has the right, of course, but I don’t have to accept her condescending attitude.

MNDavenotPC on July 14, 2007 at 4:01 PM

MNDavenotPC on July 14, 2007 at 4:01 PM

I think she’s just a good writer. She’s of the caliber of Mark Steyn. It’s just that we’re not used to seeing good writing in newspapers these days, so it comes off as condescending. The newspapers, it seems, have a low opinion of the average American because they dumb down the prose so much.

PRCalDude on July 14, 2007 at 5:16 PM

PRCalDude on July 14, 2007 at 5:16 PM

I’ll go back and reread Mark Steyn, and compare with Ms Noonan. I thank you for an educated non attacking response BTW. I am a big fan of Mark Steyn and will welcome this opportunity.

MNDavenotPC on July 14, 2007 at 6:27 PM

I am so surprised by the level of attack against her here….she is a brilliant writer, intelligent and most thoughtful and I feel her columns over the past 18 months have truthfully reflected her changing views. I’ve surely not always agreed, often stubbornly not, but i have never doubted that she is writing what she feels is ‘her’ truth. As i commented earlier in this thread, I too have lost my respect for ‘W’ and sadly so. I am still a Conservative, still a Republican, absolutely an American……and can clearly see what it right in front of my face. And comments that ‘the Reagan’ people don’t like Bush……come on folks, we have enough problems with the Libs, we surely don’t need to start battling each other over trivial bullshit do we? Read over her writings for the past 5 years….that statement will not hold up in her early writings.

dustoffmom on July 14, 2007 at 6:42 PM

dustoffmom on July 14, 2007 at 6:42 PM

Agreed. Perhaps the problem here is that Noonan writes like a woman thinks? She has also been slightly ahead of the curve in expressing her displeasure with Bush, and that off-kilter, scratch-your-head feeling you get when he speaks ex-temp (at which he is truly awful).

I’ve wondered, especially in the past three years, how many degrees of separation there are for this President and the actual everyday realities of the nation and the world. There seems to be a disconnect, and this latest column by Noonan expresses that better than I ever could.

Nichevo on July 14, 2007 at 7:23 PM

I never liked Peggy Noonan and her soft brand of Republicanism.
Come to think of it I never liked George H.W. Bush either.

Hilts on July 14, 2007 at 11:37 PM

Sullivan, who is that?

Wade on July 15, 2007 at 9:48 AM

I think the reason I have difficulty with Ms Noonan is her delivery. I have reread many of her articles and must admit to her conciseness and intelligence. I think it’s my desire to see Conservatives starting to fight back and bite off the ears of Democrats( figuratively of course). I’m so sick of us taking the high ground. I love partisanship and I don’t want to meet in the middle of the road. All you get is road kill and ultimately shoveled to the side.

MNDavenotPC on July 15, 2007 at 1:55 PM

I am a former Democrat turned independent, and I am probably the only commenter here that still respects GWB. No matter what you think about his immigration stance, he still is more strong against terrorism than any Democrat in the Presidential race.

I had no idea Sullivan hinted that Fred Thompson was gay. I stopped reading his blog a long time ago, and it’s not likely I will ever read it again.

ClericalGal on July 15, 2007 at 9:12 PM

W.lost me completely over the amnesty issue. He is truly an “elite”,and either doesn’t believe the complaints of, or doesn’t CARE about the complaints of the American public.
I agree with the previous poster,I want to fight back, I want a real conservative to run.
Know what, though? We won’t get it.
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

lizzee on July 15, 2007 at 9:15 PM

Does Sullivan really fancy himself a conservative?

2Brave2Bscared on July 13, 2007 at 8:48 PM

Yes, and not only that, he thinks he’s the only rational one. And he thinks only he truly understands Christianity, which gives him the moral authority to call the rest of us christianists, as though we were “rabid extremists of the faith”. Of course the real division between him and honest Christianity is his insistence that his homosexuality is NOT condemned by the Bible. But that’s beside the point right now.

Peggy Noonan has always, ALWAYS written in keeping with her conscience. If she disapproved of something done by a president, she said as much, whether that president was a D or an R. Likewise, she was quick to show appreciation for something done correctly by a president, again regardless of party. She hates Bush’s stance on the immigration issue, and said so. She is disturbed that he doesn’t seem to display the weight of current events that aren’t moving in his favor. That doesn’t suddenly align her with Sully by any stretch of the bloviatrix’s imagination.

She still qualifies as a much clearer bellwether of the conservative mind than Sully could ever dream of, and precisely because she is not a Sullivan-esque elitist, mindlessly and futilely defending his life and lifestyle with his every word which attacks all others.

Freelancer on July 16, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Peggy Noonan wrote some of Ronald Reagan’s best speeches including the “touch the face of God” after the shuttle tradgedy! She is a true conservative and a brilliant writer that has had it with this Administration and it’s bumblings. I too share her feelings and I voted for Bush twice. I didn’t vote for “nation building” in Iraq for a period of time that has lasted longer than WWII! Nor did I vote for Harriet Miers, Out of control Spending, Losing the congress, Immigration Reform and Zero progress with the conservative agenda other than court appointees. And Bush had to be brought to these kicking and screaming by the base! Thanks to Bush we are going to get our collective asses handed to us in the next election. Hang on because the fun is just starting!

sabbott on July 16, 2007 at 8:58 AM