Finally:America’s worst slurs ranked

posted at 10:37 am on July 13, 2007 by Allahpundit

This must have been an awkward poll to take. Thanks to Pillage Idiot for digging it up. I’ll make you click through to see what the top five were; the results of this question are more interesting anyway:

slur.png

Only Michael Richards’s rant earns a clear majority — but fewer blacks consider it offensive than they do Don Imus’s crack about the Rutgers players. Huh? As for “macaca,” either it’s too foreign or too goofy to be menacing for most since it’s the only one that doesn’t draw a majority among any group. They should have polled them on the offensiveness of novels about fathers turning their sons upside down and putting their penises in their mouths.

Exit question: Where would “maricon” rank on the list? Or does it matter, given that Richardson has matrilineal absolute moral authority?

richardson.jpg

Comments

What the hell? Rush never said that. Ted Kennedy said that, and it was a slip of the tongue.

2Brave2Bscared on July 13, 2007 at 10:41 AM

What a bunch of hosers, eh.

andycanuck on July 13, 2007 at 10:42 AM

GRRRR! [Hulking out SFX]

Like 2Brave said, Rush plays the audio clip of Kennedy himself saying it, and yet it gets attributed to him [Rush]. WTF?

People on ‘ludes should not conduct polls.

saint kansas on July 13, 2007 at 10:48 AM

There are no words delicate enough to being to explore why numbers in each box. Eg, GLBTs certainly seem to be very offendable, even for comments that have nothing to do with GLBT issues.

BillLalor on July 13, 2007 at 10:49 AM

There should be asterisks in this “poll” because ni**er and nappy-headed h* are only offensive when the victim card can be played…

DCJeff on July 13, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Speaking of Rush, I’d so very much love to see in print the headline he’d suggested a few years back:

Poll: Caucasian Men Slow to Take Offense
White Males Best Equipped to Take a Joke, Results Show

saint kansas on July 13, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Honestly, I think it’s absolutely hilarious that “ho” is so high. Most radio deejays can get away with saying it in the right context (barring duMas’s recent debacle) but can’t get away with saying numerous slurs that apparently ranked lower.

MadisonConservative on July 13, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Poll: Caucasian Men Slow to Take Offense
White Males Best Equipped to Take a Joke, Results Show

saint kansas on July 13, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Simply because white male’s are’nt looking for every chance to play victim so they can get a handout…

DCJeff on July 13, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Of course, Hillary’s joke about Ghandi having owned a gas station passes the smell test.

The Therapist on July 13, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Damn.

I was sure

Scum Sucking Siberian Snow Pimp

would be on the list.

Kowboy on July 13, 2007 at 11:04 AM

Nice of them to blame Rush with something he never said. Ted Kennedy deserves that honor.

FireFly on July 13, 2007 at 11:07 AM

According to that chard, close to 50% of African Americans are offended by anything.

JayHaw Phrenzie on July 13, 2007 at 11:08 AM

I am more surprised that there is a “GLBT” catagory in the breakdown. What the hell is that all about? Are they suddenly a significant group that we need to see how they feel about issues? The percentage of the population that fits into this group is 2% at best. If they are going to include that small a group they should have had others in there also. How about Aleuts.

Mallard T. Drake on July 13, 2007 at 11:08 AM

Gee….no Rosie goes ‘Ching Chong’ quote….hmmmmmmmm.

Limerick on July 13, 2007 at 11:08 AM

I nominate “That’s so edwards” :P

RushBaby on July 13, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Didn’t Joy Behar use the name “Obama bin Laden” on the View some time this year when trying to talk about “Osama bin Laden”? Just thought I would throw that into the mix.

DCA on July 13, 2007 at 11:10 AM

isn’t “democrat party” one of the big ones?

jummy on July 13, 2007 at 11:11 AM

Just a thought. Is this actually a study or a guide for liberals to use to determine how offended they should be by certain words and phrases?

Kowboy on July 13, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Hymie town, not even a mention.

Cracker, not even a mention.

Oreo’s not even a mention.

I think they are missing a few insults.

Oh yeah, how about Hillary’s mocking of a black southern accent.

right2bright on July 13, 2007 at 11:15 AM

I find “infidel Crusader” to be an offensive slur, but then Muslim terrorists get a pass as big as the Garfield balloon in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade.

Rush Limbaugh gets blamed for quoting Teddy Kennedy?

These pollsters are about as clued in as their bias is concealed.

profitsbeard on July 13, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Why didnt they include Dick Durbin’s statement equating American servicemen in Iraq and Gitmo with Nazis?

I find that much more offensive than Obama Osama, which was Teddy’s flub, not Rush’s.

Oh, I see…. its only blacks and women who are entitled to get offended, not patriotic Americans.

Always Right on July 13, 2007 at 11:18 AM

The percentage of the population that fits into this group is 2% at best.

I know that “10 percent” gets thrown around a lot, but if I remember correctly, the “study” that established that 1 in 10 people is gay was one survey conducted by one guy of inmates in a men’s prison.

Anyhoo, the more enlightened of us now use the acronym GLBTQ, to include those who are “questioning” their sexuality. I’m deeply offended Harris used GLBT.

saint kansas on July 13, 2007 at 11:19 AM

2Brave2Bscared on July 13, 2007 at 10:41 AM

Yes, but Rush played it back and mocked Kennedy with the phrase, so now, according to the MSM, it’s Rush’s slur, not Kennedy’s mishap.

Cracker, not even a mention

If you’ll notice, white people were the least offended out of all involved. And really, cracker isn’t all that offensive to most whites anyway, so I’m not surprised that it was left out.

Esthier on July 13, 2007 at 11:20 AM

I think we as a party let down George Allen for his minor indiscrection. It would serve us well to get a little more thick skinned and aware of the politically motivated faux outrage being used to influence public opinion. ie: DLAX

sonnyspats1 on July 13, 2007 at 11:22 AM

saint kansas on July 13, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Guess I’m not enlightened. I just tell em to drop trou. If it sticks out, they’re a boy. If not they’re a girl. Not much to be confused about really.

Kowboy on July 13, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Frankly I find this type of use of govt time more offensive than any of the race hustling language.

Cynthia McKinney initiated a bill in the House of Representatives that called for the creation of a records collection at the National Archives pertaining to the unsolved killing of emcee Tupac Shakur.

HR 4210 called for “a second repository at the Tupac Shakur Center for the Arts in Stone Mountain, Georgia” as well.

Alden Pyle on July 13, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Poll: Caucasian Men Slow to Take Offense
White Males Best Equipped to Take a Joke, Results Show

Thats what I saw.

Now for a poll on the poll.

Worthy- 0
Worthless-12

please add to the list

shooter on July 13, 2007 at 11:30 AM

It shows me that some people are extremely thin skinned. What a bunch of pansies!

deadbackpacker on July 13, 2007 at 11:32 AM

CLASSIC! one of the poll questions:
“How familiar are you with the following events?”

Rush Limbaugh�s reference to Senator Barack Obama as �Obama Osama� on the radio;

… 39 13 11 16 59 18 41

shooter on July 13, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Hey why weren’t asians polled, surely we make up a larger percentage of the population than the gay/lez/tran/whatevers.

Also how about gook, chink, flip, etc, I know these must be more offensive than ‘Osama Obama’; they insult a wide swath of cultures where that only insults on man…a white man at that,Uncle Teddy.

Alden Pyle on July 13, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Question: If I call my friend the “Qu**r” word, or “F*g” word, but it’s done in a loving manner, can I legally classify this under the same manner as a black friend calling his friend a “N”?

matd on July 13, 2007 at 11:38 AM

What a bunch of hosers, eh.

andycanuck on July 13, 2007 at 10:42 AM

Freakin’ Mapleleafheads! Why don’t you people stay off our AMERICAN blogs, OK?

Stay up there shivering in the cold, blogging about Neil Young and William Shatner, drinking your Molson and eating your second-rate so-called “bacon,” and stop overrunning our country.

Who asked your stupid Canadian opinion, anyway?

Oops — using “stupid” and “Canadian” together is redundant. Sorry about that.

Ali-Bubba on July 13, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Ali-Bubba on July 13, 2007 at 11:40 AM

damn bubba, lose some money on hockey did we?

shooter on July 13, 2007 at 11:47 AM

No “Roboho”? Come on, who does these polls?

On-my-soap-box on July 13, 2007 at 11:49 AM

Notice the group that gets offended the most (until one of their own calls someone a fag_ot)

On-my-soap-box on July 13, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Ali-Bubba – SO FUNNY! My Canadian Mom would have howled, rest her soul.

RushBaby on July 13, 2007 at 11:56 AM

Alden Pyle on July 13, 2007 at 11:37 AM

You can’t be oppressed when you are the oppresser’s. The fact that Asians excel in most everthing, means that you must be oppressing others to achieve…you don’t get ahead by working hard.
In other words, to succeed means others must fail, now if you would “lose” and blame the “winners” you can be one of the offended groups.
That’s the price you pay for achieving.

right2bright on July 13, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Regarding Rush Obama-Osama: I want a pll on pollsters who misattribute a quote and then ‘poll’ for reaction. This sounds more like ‘push-polling’ as in: ‘ do you agree that conservative talk show hosts should be allowed to use racial slurs against minorities or should they be more like liberal talk show hosts and treat all listeners fairly?”

I feel sorry for Don Imus. He is so liberal he thought everyone knew he was not a racist. He thought he could treat blacks with the same rhetoric he uses for everyone else. He uses silly banter more kindly than most, and often lays friendly insults on the appearance of people in ‘kid talk’ – ugly face, fat head etc. It was obvious to me he is not a racist, but then I am a conservative.

I would not have trouble with people laying the same type of jokes on my racial characteristics. Skin color? Squinting eyes? Throw it at me. It is me. You cannot insult my shell. God gave it to me. Insult me again needle nose.

Imus joined the inquisition never assuming it would sweep him away. Like the intellectuals who supported Stalin and later got a ride to Siberia. The tidal wave has no mercy

entagor on July 13, 2007 at 12:05 PM

BillLalor on July 13, 2007 at 10:49 AM

That’s what I thought about the black demo’s. Escept for the ‘faggot’ line, they were the most offended every time. And even for that one, they were second.

BTW, Cracker/honky/whatever is completely useless. No-one cares. I think black people who use it are probably more offended by the-fact-that-we-aren’t-offended than whites-are-offended-by-it.

In the end, a slur is how you give someone else power over you. If someone uses a word that makes you lose your cool, so that you go out and throw a brick at a truck driver’s head, or steal a TV, or set a car on fire, or turn that car over, etc. etc., then you are the one with the problem. As for me, no-one has that power over me. Actually, it might be nice if I could blame my rampage on someone else’s words or deeds.

And that is what this is really all about–renouncing any responsibility so that you can throw a tantrum to get what you want. As a society, we let it happen, instead of giving the petulent child the spanking it so richly deserves. But alas, we live in a political world where selling out to the whiniest, loudest complainer is what wins the day.

Little children, guard yourselves from idols.

urbancenturion on July 13, 2007 at 12:15 PM

“Barack the Magic Negro” didn’t make the list?!

Stupid poll.

infidel4life on July 13, 2007 at 12:28 PM

What this study shows to me is that:

White Males, more than other group, really could care less about name calling because they are the least insecure about their identity.

-matt (white male)

amend2 on July 13, 2007 at 12:33 PM

This was a Harris Interactive poll. Here is their contact info:

Harris Interactive Headquarters

Harris Interactive
60 Corporate Woods
Rochester, NY 14623-1457

General Inquiries

585.272.8400
800.866.7655
Info@harrisinteractive.com

Call the 800 number. Ask about Harris Poll #68, taken on July 11, 2007.

Ask how and who decided those questions should be included.

Point out the error in table 3, item #5, “Rush Limbaugh’s reference to Senator Barack Obama as ‘Obama Osama’ on the radio”.

Advise them that getting that particular quote so incredibly wrong makes Harris Interactive look like it has done poor research, and seriously undermines the credibility of their company. Suggest they re-run the poll with item #5 correctly attributed to Senator Ted Kennedy, or replaced with another item.

This type of inaccuracy only stands if we let it.

wearyman on July 13, 2007 at 12:44 PM

This poll offends me.

Dash on July 13, 2007 at 12:45 PM

I question the timing of this poll…

revolutionismyname on July 13, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Not only is it completely useless, but it doesn’t even come from where people think it comes from.

It was originally a slur that low-class Scots would use against other low-class Scots. A large group of these Scots ended up settling in the South where their black neighbors saw them calling each other ‘crackers’. They analogized it as a slur against all white people, hence, today’s modern day use of ‘cracker’ (or, perhaps, more aptly, ‘cracka’) to be a derogatory term for any white person.

JadeNYU on July 13, 2007 at 12:59 PM

“Obama Osama” was a quote from Ted Kennedy, as pointed out earlier. So shouldn’t Kennedy be on the list rather than Limbaugh?

pat on July 13, 2007 at 1:07 PM

I think I had macaca for lunch yesterday. Can’t be too sure, I suppose I need to make a poll about it.

robblefarian on July 13, 2007 at 1:11 PM

This poll offends me.

You must be one of those members of the extra-chromosome wing of the Republican party.(I don’t remember who coined that one, but I’m certain it couldn’t have been Al Gorifice. He’s just so nice.)

John Edwards’ old webmaster, Amanda “Nigger Jenkins and The Flying Kike-Boy” Marcotte, warned me about Godbags like you.

saint kansas on July 13, 2007 at 1:22 PM

What this study shows to me is that:

-matt (white male)

amend2 on July 13, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Except about that dancing thing. :-)

baldilocks on July 13, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Nine in ten (89%) said that they would be willing to answer the questions while one in ten (11%) opted to skip the section.

I like their math!

Kerplophel on July 13, 2007 at 1:27 PM

No, Ted Kennedy is a Democrat. That would make Democrats look bad. Better to blame it on Rush Limbaugh, a conservative.

Kensington on July 13, 2007 at 1:34 PM

wearyman on July 13, 2007 at 12:44 PM

thanks for the info, definitely going to contact them

pmoshields on July 13, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Gee….no Rosie goes ‘Ching Chong’ quote….hmmmmmmmm.

But I’ll bet that if given a chance, some would be offended by Bryan and Michelle’s “so long, ching chong” reference to Rosie’s quote in their parody of So Long, Farewell.

The Vent is alive, with the sound of music…

Bigfoot on July 13, 2007 at 1:45 PM

That’s the price you pay for achieving.

right2bright on July 13, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Got it. Thanks for that, I’m with the program now. Makes sense, shoulda figured it out myself. Moving along now.

Alden Pyle on July 13, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Poll taken; women and blacks hardest hit.

andycanuck on July 13, 2007 at 2:31 PM

Wow, you are naive, Allah.

Everyone in that poll is irrelevant except Rush. He is the point of the poll. Lump Rush in with a bunch of offensive, dolts (including the dimwit Allen). Destroy his reputation even more with the moderate/middle of the road (clueless) public so when there is a fight against the Fairness Doctrine they can say,”Rush Limbaugh? Isn’t he the one that makes racist comments all the time? That isn’t free speach.”

peacenprosperity on July 13, 2007 at 2:57 PM

Way too much political correctness and mamby bamby-ness.

Let’s bring back the 7 dirty words!

Kini on July 13, 2007 at 3:09 PM

This was really very funny. Still is I think:

Zetterson on July 13, 2007 at 3:40 PM

News flash, this poll clearly demonstrates that:

1. Women are more sensitive than men.

2. 35% of Whites are liberal.

3. 45% of Hispanics are liberals.

4. Two thirds of Blacks need to grow up and get over it already.

5. And lastly that two thirds of Gays and Lesbians hate having the fact that they are gays and lesbians pointed out.

- The Cat

MirCat on July 13, 2007 at 3:59 PM

entagor, “Some may say Rush was mocking the handicapped but Senator Kennedy has been consistently re-elected so we assume he is a certifiable representative of the majority in his state.”

Funny thing is. I was born and raised here, And I have yet to meet ONE person who will admit to voting for that scumbag. Whoever keeps voting for him is sure afraid to admit it. I have come to the conclusion that it is minorities, Old lifelong Dems, and the tinfoil hatted libturds. It sure as Hell isn’t me!

Masscon on July 13, 2007 at 4:04 PM

I’ve always wanted to go back to UCLA and stand there on Bruin Walk shouting racial slurs and epithets and being as offensive as possible, just to see what would happen. Freedom of speech, right? AND it would be in a “free speech zone.” But I don’t have a death wish.

I can’t believe how freaking thin skinned people are these days. Suck it up, for God’s sake.

wherestherum on July 13, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Women are more sensitive than men.

Thank you, Feminism. Look at the wonderful things you’ve done for us.

/sarc

wherestherum on July 13, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Interesting.

Who know how many homosexuals didn’t like the word “macaca?”

Remind me not to use that word at my next GLAAD meeting.

Professor Blather on July 13, 2007 at 4:53 PM

wearyman on July 13, 2007 at 12:44 PM

I emailed them.

2Brave2Bscared on July 13, 2007 at 5:40 PM

23% highly offended by Maccaca? I think those 23% would probably answer highly offended to any question posed to them. Either that or they are just partisan and said they were offended because they knew the politcal affiliation of Sen. Allen…

krabbas on July 13, 2007 at 7:18 PM

This was sent to me yesterday. I’m uncertain of the author
But it seems to fit in this thread.

PROUD to be WHITE!!!

Someone else besides me finally said it. how many are actually paying attention to this?

There are African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian
Americans, Arab Americans, Native Americans, etc. and then there are just Americans.

You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction. You
call me “White boy,” “Cracker,” “Honkey,” “Whitey,” “Caveman” and that’s OK.

But when I call you, Nigger, Kike, Towelhead, Sand-nigger, camel Jockey, Beaner, Gook, or Chink you call me a racist.

You say that whites commit a lot of violence against you,
so why are the ghettos the most dangerous places to live?

You have the United Negro College Fund.
You have Martin Luther King Day.
You have Black History Month.
You have Cesar Chavez Day.
You have Yom Hashoah
You have Ma’uled Al-Nabi
You have the NAACP.
You have BET.

If we had WET(White Entertainment Television) we’d be
racists. if we had a White Pride Day you would call us racists.

If we had White History Month, we’d be racists.

If we had any organization for only whites to “advance” our lives, we’d be racists.

We have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, a Black Chamber of Commerce, and then we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce. Wonder who pays for that?

If we had a college fund that only gave white students scholarships, you know we’d
be racists. There are over 60 openly proclaimed Black Colleges in the US, yet if there were “White colleges” that would be a racist college.

In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching for your race
and rights. If we marched for our race and rights, you would call us racists.

You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and you’re not afraid to announce it. But when we announce our white pride, you call us racists.

You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white
police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black
drug-dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist.

I am proud. But, you call me a racist.

Why is it that only whites can be racists?

Just something for you to think about

conservativecaveman on July 13, 2007 at 7:40 PM

@conservativecaveman: That quote was spot on. Personally, I’m sick and tired of all the double standards.

They missed the comments by John Edwards campaign staffers about “Christofascists.”

Ryan Gandy on July 13, 2007 at 8:39 PM

What else was missing:

Senator/Presidential candidate Joseph Biden calls fellow Sentaor/Presidential candidate Barack Obama “clean” and “articulate”

Rosie O’Donnell, well, breathes.

Captain Scarlet on July 14, 2007 at 5:53 AM

Oops. Biden is a Senator, not a “Sentaor” (or a centaur, for that matter, although he does resemble at least part of the latter’s anatomical makeup).

Captain Scarlet on July 14, 2007 at 5:57 AM

Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite ‘em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum.
And the great fleas themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on,
While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on.

- Augustus De Morgan