ABC: We’re not saying Jeri Thompson’s a trophy wife, but if she is, that’s a good thing; Update: “Is Hillary Clinton Bill Clinton’s trophy wife?”

posted at 7:11 pm on July 13, 2007 by Allahpundit

Between this and the NYT piece last weekend, the meme is now set. The media has carte blanche to write “trophy wife” pieces about her provided they acknowledge that (a) the term is arguably sexist, (b) they’re only writing about it because other media are talking about it, (c) even if she is a trophy wife, that’s actually an honorific aimed at acknowledging how much she’s accomplished as a professional woman. Calling her a “power ho” would presumably convey the sentiment. It suggests power, doesn’t it? Then it’s really sort of a compliment, isn’t it?

Claims of sexism may abound, but at the end of the day, many women would be flattered to be considered a trophy wife, and those who are not may actually aspire to become one, according to Dr. Debbie Then, a social psychologist who specializes in women and appearance.

“Any woman who is deemed a trophy wife has sort of a feather in her cap, it’s a compliment,” said Then. “I think most of the women think it’s flattering on some level. Because no matter what a woman does in her life, when the chips are down, women are all evaluated based on their appearance.”

You heard the lady. As far as ABC is concerned, it’s open season on Hillary “cankle” jokes from here on out. Exit question: Assuming Fred gets the nomination, what on earth are the hit pieces on Jeri going to look like circa October 2008?

Update: Newbusters notes that Jackie Clegg Dodd, like Cindy McCain before her, is decidedly not a trophy wife even though the age difference between her and Chris is only six years less than the age difference between the Thompsons and she was much younger than Mrs. Thompson when she married him.

Update: Mark Levin answers the bell.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Fred Thompson just had a short interview on Mark Levin’s show, and I’m wondering if the second caller following the interview might have been csdeven?

FloatingRock on July 13, 2007 at 7:14 PM

what on earth are the hit pieces on Jeri going to look like circa October 2008?

Headline from Front Page NYT Oct 1 2008-

“Jeri Thompson Wouldn’t Go to the Prom With Me, That Bitch, And That’s Why Fred Shouldn’t Be President”

by Csdeven

Tman on July 13, 2007 at 7:17 PM

I’m assuming that the Levin segment will be on HotAir shortly but in case not, the second caller said that although he liked what he had heard, he complained that Fred didn’t have any management experience.

FloatingRock on July 13, 2007 at 7:18 PM

Let’s assume Hillary get the nomination: Hit piece, “Why Bill F&%k’s around.” [I can only wish]

Liberals should look so good, but don’t.

Kini on July 13, 2007 at 7:19 PM

How on earth does that dwarf from Cleveland get a pass on the trophy wife thing?

I guess she’s just a gold digging ho.

JackStraw on July 13, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Headline from Front Page NYT Oct 1 2008-

by Csdeven

Tman on July 13, 2007 at 7:17 PM

lmao

Kowboy on July 13, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Wait a minute. I thought Fred! was gay abortionist.

thareb on July 13, 2007 at 7:25 PM

I’m not (yet – perhaps) a member of the Fred! heads (said with love), but, I find it truly pathetic that the MSM can’t leave his wife alone.

A trophy wife is not defined as a woman that is significantly younger than her husband. Did most of the men prior to the 20th century have trophy wives?

A trophy wife is a woman that you marry as a status symbol. She’s there for you to bring out at parties and public events, then you have your driver drop her back off at home so she can do ‘whatever it is she does’.

From all accounts I’ve read, Mrs. Thompson is an extremely intelligent and independent woman that is Mr. Thompson’s WIFE….not his trophy wife by any true definition of the phrase.

JadeNYU on July 13, 2007 at 7:29 PM

“Is Hillary Clinton Bill Clinton’s trophy trophotropic wife?”

trophotropic: of or relating to trophotropism.

trophotropism: The movement of living cells toward or away from nutritive material.

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Well there’s the point that Mrs. Dodd isn’t quite as attention getting as Mrs. Thompson. Though from Dodd’s pictures and personality, his second wife is a lot better than what he should reasonably expect, just as Rhea Perlman is a Supermodel compared to Danny Devito.

libertarianuberalles on July 13, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Tman on July 13, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Thank God I wasn’t drinking any coffee when I read that. LOL!

jdawg on July 13, 2007 at 7:40 PM

freddie boys wife. What can you say? As long as his groupies are going to trot her out like she is just another reason why fred? is “THE guy” for 2008, she will be opened up to criticism from those that choose to take issue with such a silly statement.

Well, that depends if she going to dress and behave with class or not. If she dresses with class, she’ll never be mentioned. If she dresses like a bimbo and acts like she is the co-candidate with fred?, she’ll be poked and prodded until she says something reaaalllllly stupid. I don’t think it’ll take that long. I think eventually, and pretty soon, she will interject HERSELF (all by herself) right into this campaign and then she becomes fair game. And if her political history is as bad as freds?, she’ll just accelerate his fall off the table.

O/T…..

I tried to get the audio from Mark’s show but they don’t have todays up yet. I read one guy on a different thread that said it (freds? “interview”) was ho-hum. Well, I’ll wait to hear it, but if Mark was tough on him, (unlike hannity) it wont surprise me that he was more like his true self and less like the BS image he is trying so desperately to maintain.

csdeven on July 13, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Dennis Kucinich born 1946

Elizabeth Harper Kucinich born 1977

Do the math.

JackStraw on July 13, 2007 at 7:42 PM

csdeven on July 13, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Jesus, and I was just kidding. You might as well submit your I-9 to the Ole Grey Lady now CS, it’ll save you a step or two.

Tman on July 13, 2007 at 7:42 PM

(b) they’re only writing about it because other media are talking about it,

And they wonder why people respond by roll on the floor laughing when asked by a judge if they can be truthful – news is NOT what other people in their god forsaken profession are saying despite what the worst self appointed proxy David Gregory says.

Topsecretk9 on July 13, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Holy sh**, can you imagine if they opened an article on a Dem this way:

“Stripper.” “Bimbo.” “Permanently tan.”

These are just a few of the adjectives used in the media lately to describe Jeri Kehn Thompson.

But as AP notes, ABC is in the clear because they said those adjectives have been “used in the media lately”. I can’t say I’ve actually heard any of those… We’ve seen the bashing of her as some trophy wife, etc… but I can’t say I’ve heard those terms. Are you kidding me… stripper? I suppose that refers to the Scarboneheads “working the pole” comment?

Anyway, the media doesn’t shock me much anymore… but to open an article with those paragraphs caused me to do a double take.

RightWinged on July 13, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Eh. If she was old and ugly, they’d all be saying that she should look more like Dennis Kucinich’s (smokin’ hot, nine foot tall) third wife.

Tanya on July 13, 2007 at 7:47 PM

For Slick Willy a blow up doll is a trophy wife.

Speakup on July 13, 2007 at 7:47 PM

When did ABCNews become Fred groupies?

Kowboy on July 13, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Heh. You dig her because she’s a redhead. Or rather, “ginger.”

Allahpundit on July 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM

csdeven on July 13, 2007 at 7:41 PM

You never answered my question. What are doing out of your room?

jdawg on July 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM

I wish I could have a trophy wife. :-(

Oh well, I’m sure I’ll eventually find something at Russian Brides R’ Us.

Lincoln on July 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Oh by the way, if Jackie Clegg Dodd is a trophy… what contest in Hell did Chris Dodd win?

RightWinged on July 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM

JackStraw – “Dennis Kucinich born 1946

Elizabeth Harper Kucinich born 1977

Do the math.”

Every night when Elizabeth goes to bed, she feels old age creeping up on her.

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM

If Bill is Clenis, shouldn’t Hillary be Clintoris?

fogw on July 13, 2007 at 7:50 PM

You never answered my question. What are doing out of your room?

jdawg on July 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM

F-Troop marathon’s over?

Kowboy on July 13, 2007 at 7:51 PM

jdawg – “csdeven on July 13, 2007 at 7:41 PM

You never answered my question. What are doing out of your room?

Hall pass.

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 7:51 PM

Every night when Elizabeth goes to bed, she feels old age creeping up on her.

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Ha. Funny how I mentioned her first a half hour ago but Allah only pounces on it when a woman mentions it.

Beta. Hopeless beta.

JackStraw on July 13, 2007 at 7:51 PM

Heh. You dig her because she’s a redhead. Or rather, “ginger.”

Allahpundit on July 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM

I’d insist she let me call her “Rusty”

RightWinged on July 13, 2007 at 7:52 PM

Heh. You dig her because she’s a redhead. Or rather, “ginger.”

I can be objective about gingers. Occasionally. But she is smokin’ hot.

Tanya on July 13, 2007 at 7:53 PM

A hall pass is a pass or token used in American and Canadian public schools to show that a student has been authorization to be out of his/her classroom while lessons are in progress. They are commonly issued to students if they need to visit the restroom, if they have been asked to run an errand for a faculty member, or if they need to see the school nurse. A student wishing to leave school for an off-site activity may also require a hall pass.

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 7:54 PM

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 7:51 PM

I think the F-Troop Marathon is over.

jdawg on July 13, 2007 at 7:54 PM

Ha. Funny how I mentioned her first a half hour ago but Allah only pounces on it when a woman redhead mentions it.

There, I fixed that for you.

Tanya on July 13, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Every night when Elizabeth goes to bed, she feels old age creeping up on her.

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Kucinich has never been near his wife’s bedroom

brak on July 13, 2007 at 7:56 PM

There. I meant what I said.

JackStraw on July 13, 2007 at 7:56 PM

Ha. Funny how I mentioned her first a half hour ago but Allah only pounces on it when a woman redhead with a body to die for mentions it.

There, I fixed that for YOU.

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 7:58 PM

There, I fixed that for YOU.

Huh. I don’t know whether to call you a stalker or thank you.

Tanya on July 13, 2007 at 8:00 PM

I can be objective about gingers. Occasionally. But she is smokin’ hot.

Tanya on July 13, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Not my cup of tea… Some redheads are not bad, but honestly, Kucinich’s paid campaign wife looks like Conan O’Brien with extensions (in that photo you linked to anyway). She looks okay sometimes, but still not my thang.

RightWinged on July 13, 2007 at 8:01 PM

JadeNYU on July 13, 2007 at 7:29 PM

You said it better than I could. When I read the post, the first thing that came to mind was:

Perhaps, just perhaps, this Jeri gal is a grown woman who knows how to choose a husband who pleases her. And Fred could be a grown man who knows how to choose a wife who pleases him. Quick, let us consult with the professional feminists and see if such a thing is possible….

Anton on July 13, 2007 at 8:01 PM

brak – “Kucinich has never been near his wife’s bedroom”

I know. She and I have much more privacy that way.

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 8:01 PM

Tanya – “Huh. I don’t know whether to call you a stalker or thank you.

You can call me Moe or you can call me Shmoe, just be sure to call.

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Hot is just hot. This is Hot Air but she is Hot Wife.

Hot is always good.

Mojave Mark on July 13, 2007 at 8:06 PM

Mojave Mark – “Hot is just hot. This is Hot Air but she is Hot Wife.

Hot is always good.”

Some like it hot and some sweat when the heat is on
Some feel the heat and decide that they can’t go on
Some like it hot, but you can’t tell how hot ’til you try
Some like it hot, so let’s turn up the heat ’til we fry

The girl is at your side, are you gonna do it
She wants to be your bride, are you gonna do it
She wants to multiply, are you gonna do it
I know you won’t be satisfied until you do it

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 8:11 PM

I can be objective about gingers. Occasionally. But she is smokin’ hot.

Tanya on July 13, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Hot she may be, but I’ve heard interviews with her… Dumb as a box of rocks. Complete airhead. I know, some might come back with ‘who cares?’, but man, it’s a major turnoff.

bikermailman on July 13, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Hillary is a trophy wife,
just not first place.

I heard Hillary is a trophy wife.
She won best in show at the AKC Eukanuba Grand Championship.

Sensei Ern on July 13, 2007 at 8:26 PM

…but man, it’s a major turnoff.

bikermailman on July 13, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Absolutely, as is with Paris, etc.

Spirit of 1776 on July 13, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Absolutely, as is with Paris, etc.

Spirit of 1776 on July 13, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Not to mention the bone bruises. Seeing a woman’s ribs does nothing for me. I like em built for comfort, not for speed.

Kowboy on July 13, 2007 at 8:34 PM

Sensei Ern – “Hillary is a trophy wife,
just not first place.”

Contest prizes:

First prize – 1 night with Hillary.

Second prize – 2 nights with Hillary.

Third prize – 3 nights with Hillary.

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 8:41 PM

csdeven on July 13, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Pavlov had csdeven in mind when he did his behavior studies on dogs. Just post about Fred! and watch him salivate go postal.

Mallard T. Drake on July 13, 2007 at 8:45 PM

From urbandictionary.com, the definition of Trophy Wife:

A young, attractive woman married to an older, more powerful man.

His role in the relationship is to be her sugar daddy and provide her with power and material wealth. Hers, beyond providing sex, is to remind others that he is powerful or rich enough to be desirable to such a woman despite his age and thus to serve as a marker of this status — hence the “trophy” part. A specialized type of gold digger.

Yeah, I’m sure that ABC News and the NYT are using the term with respect about Jeri Thompson and don’t think it is a pejorative phrase in the least.

Mallard T. Drake on July 13, 2007 at 8:49 PM

Rasmussen 07/09 – 07/12

Giuliani 24%
Thompson 25%
McCain 12%
Romney 12%

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 8:55 PM

When she’s the First Lady she can pick any cause that she wants. Hey Jerri, we’re into whatever you’re into. Maybe she can run a halfway house for celebrity degenerates like Paris and Lindsey.

Fred has baggage as a lobbyist, nepotist senator, and lawyer for unsavory types so he will be bruised in the campaign. I just think that 20 FREAKIN’ YEARS of a Bush/Clinton in the White house is enough. That 20 year lock on the CINC office will be very offputting for any undecideds who might have an inkling to vote for Hitlery.

Mojave Mark on July 13, 2007 at 9:02 PM

Mallard T. Drake on July 13, 2007 at 8:45 PM

And cs has a new place for us children not welcome at the adult table to sit. He calls it the “Fred?Head Mutual Masturbation Society” table, or F?HMMS for short.

Kowboy on July 13, 2007 at 9:02 PM

Then look here. And here. And all over Hollywood and Washington, and probably the media.

…it’s open season on Hillary “cankle” jokes from here on out. Exit question: Assuming Fred gets the nomination, what on earth are the hit pieces on Jeri going to look like circa October 2008?

“Jerri’s cankles way thinner than Hillary’s”?

Entelechy on July 13, 2007 at 9:13 PM

“power ho”

LMAO

JWS on July 13, 2007 at 9:18 PM

MILF

tomas on July 13, 2007 at 9:23 PM

Entelechy – “MB4, you’re a one funny dude. You’re closer to danger than you know. Just a friendly note.”

It’s a fine line between genius and insanity.

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 9:26 PM

bikermailman on July 13, 2007 at 8:18 PM

And a communist.

Entelechy on July 13, 2007 at 9:26 PM

Entelechy – “Said one left-wing analyst: “I think women have an innate ‘ick’ reaction when they see a wife so much younger and vital than her husband.””

Actually I think that is a reaction of feeling threatened.

If a women sees some man her husband or boyfriends age, with a woman who is much younger than she herself is, she is concerned (maybe just in the “back” of her mind) that her husband or boyfriend might get the same idea.

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 9:35 PM

That’s kinda what I thought about Bill with his 22 year intern and cigar antics and dumbass liberals said it didn’t matter! Well, they’ve never been admired for their consistency and principle, that’s for sure.

Topsecretk9 on July 13, 2007 at 9:53 PM

Mallard T. Drake on July 13, 2007 at 8:49 PM

The real sleaze factor in a trophy wife is that it is by definition not the first wife. She’s probably not one of the bimbos that the husband left the first wife for, but she’s the one he ended up with after getting bored with the 20 year olds. When women see the trophy wife, they aren’t impressed by her bumps, instead they wonder how the first wife is getting on.

So Hillary is not a trophy wife. Monica may have been naively hoping for that position. The trophy Mrs. Clinton will be a big-boobed blond with the business skills of a Paris Hilton.

pedestrian on July 13, 2007 at 9:55 PM

The reason for the slur is Jeri threatens a certain candidate – and that candidate is Hillary.

Hillary has a man problem – men don’t like her. Thompson has a man and womanadvantage – they both like him and .the men would like to look at his wife.

Hell, Hillary’s husband would like to look at Fred’s wife.

Topsecretk9 on July 13, 2007 at 10:00 PM

Heh. You dig her because she’s a redhead. Or rather, “ginger.”

I almost married two of em…

Zorro on July 13, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Zorro on July 13, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Zorro: You recognize that famous sign?
Old Man: Si senior. It is a Two.
Zorro: That is a Z!
Old Man: But in the school, that is how they teach my granddaughter to draw a Two.
Zorro: I say it is a Z – For El Zorro!

MB4 on July 13, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Topsecretk9 on July 13, 2007 at 10:00 PM

“Fred Thompson’s wife isn’t ugly enough.”

“He used to be a lawyer.”

“He only served two terms as Senator.”

Yeah, I could see why the libs have to get those attacks in EARLY. They’re not going to be too awfully useful once Hillary’s been nominated.

logis on July 13, 2007 at 10:18 PM

Where,s the outcry from the WOMAN RIGHTS POLITICAL
FEMINAZI MOVEMENT.

canopfor on July 13, 2007 at 10:47 PM

when the chips are down, women are all evaluated based on their appearance.”

Hillary? I had a John Edwards comment ready as soon as I read that…

Yes, I know. I’ll go sit in the corner now.

gekkobear on July 13, 2007 at 10:53 PM

It has been alleged that we are at war with a rabid Islam.

It has been alleged that fossil fuel consumption will negatively the climate relative to human interest.

It has been alleged that illegal immigration threatens to make the United States a worse place to live.

It has been alleged that abortion is murder. On the other hand, it has been alleged that human overpopulation causes substantial environmental problems.

It has been alleged that government interference in the economy has made us less free and provided all the wrong incentives for a decent future. It has been alleged that only the government can provide justice given the power of the rich.

And we are sitting here discussing whether Fred’s wife is a trophy wife?

I feel sick, but I have to affirm that I support Vitter’s reelection to the Senate.

Are our political issues really so unimportant?

thuja on July 13, 2007 at 10:53 PM

by Csdeven

Tman on July 13, 2007 at 7:17 PM

No, that 8itch fred? threw me over for Jeri.

csdeven on July 13, 2007 at 11:09 PM

jdawg on July 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM

I see you are still trying to get invited to sit with the adults. Not working out so well huh?

Clue for you……stick to the thread topic and stop making it so obvious that you want me to pay attention to you. The entire group has watched your genesis from one childish tactic that didn’t work, and now you’re on to the next.

Before you know it, you’ll be sitting at your computer wondering if it’s all your fixations on me are reaaallllly worth it. It’s coming, you just don’t see it. And judging by your general attitude, you wont see it until it’s too late.

Fore warned is fore armed. Dude.

csdeven on July 13, 2007 at 11:18 PM

Topsecretk9 on July 13, 2007 at 10:00 PM

There is probably a certain type of man that likes fred?. Same with women. freds? problem is he puts too much stock in that because for every one that he cherishes, there are at least two who will see him for the charlatan that he is the minute he has to compete on a level playing field.

csdeven on July 13, 2007 at 11:23 PM

Thuja, way to be a buzzkill. There`s also the minor little detail that nearly everyone here is on the same page or close enough on these issues, and that we`ve exhausted some of the subjects. I mean, for real, HERE you`re complaining cause we`re not bitching about illegal immigration. YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

Plus, grow a pair (internal or external), and advocate something, rather than weaselling out with that BS alleged!

libertarianuberalles on July 13, 2007 at 11:23 PM

Fred is soo Presidential, and his Wife is a classic beauty.

I am highly amused at the sheer green envy oozing out of the Dems and their liberal media sycophants.

Lawrence on July 13, 2007 at 11:38 PM

I would like to know more about Mrs. Thompson. Is she a good mom, does she have any causes that she feels strongly about? These are important, not her age or attractiveness. We know all about Clinton and what a horrible first husband he would be. If they want to talk about a possible first lady they need to talk about the important things.

Rose on July 13, 2007 at 11:46 PM

Rose on July 13, 2007 at 11:46 PM

I can tell you one thing. She’d better start working out. Did you see that video of her holding that monster of a kid they have? It was all she could to to hold him up.

csdeven on July 13, 2007 at 11:50 PM

So now you’re attacking her kids? Come on Cs you’re better than that!

Rose on July 13, 2007 at 11:52 PM

And no, I didn’t see the video.

Rose on July 13, 2007 at 11:54 PM

All this attention on the candidate’s spouses. Maybe we should consider having a split screen during the debates. One view has the debate and the other shows the spouses working out in red, white and blue spandex.

Bradky on July 14, 2007 at 12:00 AM

csdeven on July 13, 2007 at 11:50 PM

You’re a class act troll…attacking wife and kids…

DCJeff on July 14, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Bradky on July 14, 2007 at 12:00 AM

Clenis in spandex? Ugggh

pedestrian on July 14, 2007 at 12:04 AM

whaaa? I’ll fill in the intelligible blanks and try and respond

Fred really doesn’t have a problem – and when the media starts developing a pretend problem out of whole cloth it usually means they see the potential problem for their team – Democrats – Hillary and work on spinning it as a negative – which frankly is pretty weak tea.

You know – sort of like the telegenic problem Nixon had vs Kennedy?

Nice try – I guess. That sorta goes to you too Logis.

Topsecretk9 on July 14, 2007 at 12:13 AM

If FOX lead a story about Madeline Albright or Janet Reno the way ABC lead this one about the First Lady…um…I mean Mrs. Thompson…..Pelosi, Rangle, Conyers, and Murtha would be demanding the FCC pull FOX’s license.

ABC must have asked Huffington to proof read it before going to press.

Limerick on July 14, 2007 at 12:34 AM

Limerick

they would. And stupid code pinkers would be picketing out in front and liberal bloggers would be photoshopping crap .

It’s pretty funny (as usual) to read Greenwald’s pious stab in light of this:

The whole Taranto item makes cute little references to how very womanly John Edwards is. . . . I’m going to periodically chronicle this psychologically twisted tactic used continously [sic] by the Bush-following right-wing movement because, as I documented several days ago, this mentality lies at the heart of what they do. . . .

It is critical to keep in mind why so many right-wing followers have this compulsive need to feminize Democrats and liberals while (both explicitly and by effect) masculinizing themselves. . . .

We ought to have political discourse that is free of these sorts of adolescent, psychologically warped personal smears. But we don’t. The right-wing political movement that has dominated the country for the last six years (at least) thrives on them. It is their nourishment.

sidenote: Greenwald has become the Larry Johnson of political analysis no? His “Who’s Who” must have “most debunked” and “reliable indicator of complete opposite” listed, doesn’t it?

Topsecretk9 on July 14, 2007 at 12:53 AM

If Hillary is elected, does that make Bill “the first laddie”?

If Jeri is Fred’s trophy wife, does that make Bill Hillary’s oafphy husband?

If Dennis is Elizabeth’s sugar daddy, does that mean he’s her schlemiel ticket?

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on July 14, 2007 at 1:03 AM

Just when you think the MSM had reached its lowest point, surprise, it’s Limbo time. Let’s see how low they can go.

Obviously, the Clinton war machine hasn’t been able to dredge anything up on Thompson, so it’s time to get personal. Next, I suppose, they’ll accuse him of kicking puppies.

pocomoco on July 14, 2007 at 1:13 AM

And no, I didn’t see the video.
Rose on July 13, 2007 at 11:54 PM

It was the video he did for the right to life something or other last month. He couldn’t attend, so he produced the video and sent it in his place. It was spot lighted on HA.

And no, I’m not attacking his wife and kids. The kid is HUGE and she could barely hold him. IMHO, he was hiding behind his kids in that vid.

csdeven on July 14, 2007 at 1:44 AM

csdeven on July 13, 2007 at 11:18 PM

csdeven on July 13, 2007 at 11:50 PM

Pot, meet Kettle…..

Mallard T. Drake on July 14, 2007 at 1:47 AM

Next, I suppose, they’ll accuse him of kicking puppies.

pocomoco on July 14, 2007 at 1:13 AM

Naw. That’s Mitts! sin.

csdeven on July 14, 2007 at 2:07 AM

Did they ever stop to think that he might just like good-looking women?

And she might find a successful actor and former (future?) politician sexy?

Or is there some ulterior motive to their question?

Nah, couldn’t be that.

(Or is this a trophy question?)

profitsbeard on July 14, 2007 at 2:32 AM

Speaking of a true trophy wife.

There isn’t a top tier candidate, or non-candidate, who can hold a candle to this classy lady A real look at what a first lady should be.

csdeven on July 14, 2007 at 2:32 AM

Hilary is NOT a trophy wife. Why? Because nobody envies Bill.

urbancenturion on July 14, 2007 at 2:36 AM

urbancenturion-

Hillary is an atrophied wife.

profitsbeard on July 14, 2007 at 2:47 AM

Cs, My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary in two weeks so I certainly see a long term marriage as a plus. But I don’t think it rules out someone who has not had that blessing in their life. I will not rule out a presidential candidate because of a second marriage. I will not choose Mr. Romney over Mr. Thompson just because of this one issue. I don’t know why but I just have a problem with Mr. Romney. However he would be my second choice over Rudy.

Rose on July 14, 2007 at 3:02 AM

Rose on July 14, 2007 at 3:02 AM

Congrates on your anniversary.

I wouldn’t rule any candidate out because of a second marriage. I was attempting to put the concept of a trophy wife into the context of how she should be viewed by the world. A smart, focused woman who doesn’t draw attention to her sexuality. I’m not saying that Jeri does, but a lot of the groupies do and the minute SHE puts an emphasis on it, I will have another reason why fred? should never be the nominee.

A lot of people don’t know why they have that impression of Mitt!. I can’t tell you because I see the guy as a smart, accomplished man who succeeds at just about everything he attempts. His image exudes perfection in his performance as a servant of the public. But I know. like all of us, he has his flaws, but he is blessed with flaws that are not as obvious as others. Perhaps his flaw is a fear that he must appear perfect in order to get respect? Who knows, but I’m not gonna hold that against the guy. Show me the weaknesses that have to do with his qualifications as the POTUS and I’ll properly vet him. But don’t point to his success as a father, husband, businessman, and a politician, and tell me he’s just too good to be true.

csdeven on July 14, 2007 at 8:18 AM

You know, I hate the expression “trophy wife”. It sounds too demeaning. If Fred Thompson has the charm and charisma to wind up with a wife like Jeri, then I say good for him.

As to Bill having Hillary as his “trophy wife”, in her case, the preceding word “bowling” seems fitting.

pilamaye on July 14, 2007 at 8:33 AM

All of this pathetic liberal hoopla about Mrs. Thompson being a “trophy wife” simply further proves how worried the Dums are about Fred. “Trophy wife” is meant to be demeaning by these so-called “journalists”.

lynnv on July 14, 2007 at 8:36 AM

pilamaye on July 14, 2007 at 8:33 AM

I would like some clarification on this.

“with a wife like Jeri” refers to what? Does anyone really KNOW her as a person? Wouldn’t “charm and charisma” be traits to snag a honest decent person? IS Jeri an honest decent person?

csdeven on July 14, 2007 at 8:54 AM

lynnv on July 14, 2007 at 8:36 AM

Respectfully, the dems have just started on this trophy wife crap. The fred? groupies have been using her trophy-ness as a reason to vote for fred?. They are the ones who let the genie out of the bottle. I’ve been trying to find some quotes from fred? about this because it seems to me that I once heard him brag about people referring to her as a trophy. If I find it, I will certainly link to the quote.

csdeven on July 14, 2007 at 8:59 AM

Pot, meet Kettle…..

Mallard T. Drake on July 14, 2007 at 1:47 AM

Amen…

JWS on July 14, 2007 at 9:31 AM

As of this post we have had 15 attempts (by others) to hijack this thread to talk about little ol me. That’s 15% of the total.

Meanwhile, not including this post, I have made a total of 11 comments. 8 on topic, 1 off topic (Mitt! and his dog), and 2 chastising others for attacking me.

Some keep using the term “pot and kettle”. It’s obvious you don’t understand the meaning of the analogy.

Now, can we dispense with the straw man arguments and get back to the topic of Jeri Thompson?

csdeven on July 14, 2007 at 10:05 AM