ABC: We’re not saying Jeri Thompson’s a trophy wife, but if she is, that’s a good thing; Update: “Is Hillary Clinton Bill Clinton’s trophy wife?”

posted at 7:11 pm on July 13, 2007 by Allahpundit

Between this and the NYT piece last weekend, the meme is now set. The media has carte blanche to write “trophy wife” pieces about her provided they acknowledge that (a) the term is arguably sexist, (b) they’re only writing about it because other media are talking about it, (c) even if she is a trophy wife, that’s actually an honorific aimed at acknowledging how much she’s accomplished as a professional woman. Calling her a “power ho” would presumably convey the sentiment. It suggests power, doesn’t it? Then it’s really sort of a compliment, isn’t it?

Claims of sexism may abound, but at the end of the day, many women would be flattered to be considered a trophy wife, and those who are not may actually aspire to become one, according to Dr. Debbie Then, a social psychologist who specializes in women and appearance.

“Any woman who is deemed a trophy wife has sort of a feather in her cap, it’s a compliment,” said Then. “I think most of the women think it’s flattering on some level. Because no matter what a woman does in her life, when the chips are down, women are all evaluated based on their appearance.”

You heard the lady. As far as ABC is concerned, it’s open season on Hillary “cankle” jokes from here on out. Exit question: Assuming Fred gets the nomination, what on earth are the hit pieces on Jeri going to look like circa October 2008?

Update: Newbusters notes that Jackie Clegg Dodd, like Cindy McCain before her, is decidedly not a trophy wife even though the age difference between her and Chris is only six years less than the age difference between the Thompsons and she was much younger than Mrs. Thompson when she married him.

Update: Mark Levin answers the bell.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I can’t wait for Newt to get in the race! He has brilliant ideas, and of course he is much older than his wife too. A winning combination apparently!

Ordinary1 on July 14, 2007 at 11:03 AM

Ordinary1 on July 14, 2007 at 11:03 AM

Newt? Be careful. The thread police are watching…

JWS on July 14, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Show me the weaknesses that have to do with his qualifications as the POTUS and I’ll properly vet him. But don’t point to his success as a father, husband, businessman, and a politician, and tell me he’s just too good to be true.

csdeven on July 14, 2007 at 8:18 AM

Admittedly, I am not a csdeven! groupie and don’t follow every comment you post. I believe this is the first comment I have seen where you support another candidate in context of your relentless Fred! bashing. I commend you for showing commitment to a candidate. It was getting to the point where your lack of commitment to an alternative to Fred! was very similar to your complaint that Fred! has not yet committed to becoming an official candidate.

And just so this has some resemblence to the topic of the thread, I commend the Romney’s for their long and stable marriage. Not every marriage is or has to be the same. Jeri Thompson appears to be both a career woman and a mother and wife. If she is successful at that, then good for her. As for her appearance, I have only seen photos of her at fancy events where the women wear gowns. She has appeared tasteful, if showing a little of her “assets.” I have not seen photos of her in her “office clothes,” but I would assume she dresses appropriately for what ever the occasion demands. We will find out once Fred! officially jumps in. I suspect one reason that it hasn’t happened yet is that both Fred and Jeri are being prepped and coached for the rigors of the national campaign trail. He will announce when they are ready, IMHO.

All that said, there is no reason for the “trophy wife” label, at least at this point. If she appears on the campaign trail looking like a slut and sounding as smart as a bag of rocks, then it may be appropriate to address the issue at that time. At this time it is the libs and the MSM trying to smear a candidate they do not want in the race.

Mallard T. Drake on July 14, 2007 at 11:44 AM

The response to the whole “trophy wife” accusations in my mind is simple. Fred Thompson merely needs to say that yes, she’s beautiful, and he is 100% faithful to her. He could add that she never was a member of his staff; she never was his intern, anything like that.

The fact that so many people in this country are willing to vote for Clinton, when she is obviously in a sham marriage simply because she is politically ambitious – it’s very dissapointing to me.

Socialism is a helluva drug…

Dork B. on July 14, 2007 at 11:51 AM

I’ll try to parse out the comments I want to address without taking them out of contex….

We will find out once Fred! officially jumps in.

Mallard T. Drake on July 14, 2007 at 11:44 AM

If I could expand on that a little.

I agree, she should not be an issue until he announces, and only if she behaves as you pointed out. But even then, she does have some absolute moral authority. (I think the absolute worse possible potential first lady was Heinze) And by the same token, I don’t think fred? should be either. These polls that include fred? are not apple to apple comparisons for a couple reasons.

1) He isn’t a candidate
2) He hasn’t had to defend his positions in debates
3) He picks an chooses the venues that allows him to have it both ways.

IMHO, number three isn’t the sign of smart campaigning, but rather the cowards way of competing without the downside. In a general election, I would probably agree, but in a primary when we need the best possible candidate to represent conservative ideals, I cannot respect a guy who is ostensively refusing to allow himself to be vetted as an equal.

csdeven on July 14, 2007 at 12:22 PM

csdeven on July 14, 2007 at 12:22 PM

I don’t know that it’s a bad idea on Fred’s part to stay out of things right now. IMO the campaigns got started way too early, and to be honest I’m not paying a whole lot of attention to it at this point. I did at the start to see who was jumping in, and like Tancredo at this time. But the bottom line is all I hear is a lot of the same old thing over and over again. By the time the primaries get here a lot of people are going to be burned out on the whole thing.

Just watched a video of McCain on Fox. He said at his inauguration speech he would announce the closing of Gitmo and that the U.S. would never torture another prisoner. Until I looked at the TV I thought I was listening to one of the democrats.

Kowboy on July 14, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Pavlov had csdeven in mind when he did his behavior studies on dogs. Just post about Fred! and watch him salivate go postal.

Mallard T. Drake on July 13, 2007 at 8:45 PM

Just post about Fred! and watch him salivate go postal hump the post!

There – more visually acurate don’t you think?

The Ritz on July 14, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Sorry, forgot the quote tag. . .

Mallard T. Drake on July 13, 2007 at 8:45 PM

Just post about Fred! and watch him salivate go postal hump the post!

There – more visually acurate don’t you think?

The Ritz on July 14, 2007 at 1:11 PM

The Ritz on July 14, 2007 at 1:12 PM

When it comes down to it, the candidate wins or loses. If it was the wife, Kerry never would have gotten as close as he did.

Rose on July 14, 2007 at 2:07 PM

I heard Hillary is a trophy wife.
She won best in show at the AKC Eukanuba Grand Championship.

Sensei Ern on July 13, 2007 at 8:26 PM

You’ve just insulted man’s best friend.

foxforce91 on July 14, 2007 at 2:48 PM

And if you REALLY want to lose your lunch, read this about Kucinich. I’m still dry heaving.

jcmorris on July 14, 2007 at 2:55 PM

jcmorris on July 14, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Well, if this is like a fairytale, if we don’t elect him we have a better chance of living happily ever after.

Kowboy on July 14, 2007 at 3:21 PM

I wonder if Susan Estrich and the NEW DIRECTION DEMOCRATS would HATE her if she were the trophy wife of Rosie O.?

DfDeportation on July 14, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Dr. Debbie Then, a social psychologist who specializes in women and appearance

“Experts say”

Then look closer as to the expertise being employed.

Suppose we should be grateful it isn’t an expert of warming and cooling trends, Dr. Then, stated that the Earth, as we know it will end in 2052.

naliaka on July 14, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Kowboy on July 14, 2007 at 12:54 PM

I mostly agree with that. For me, I would respect fred? if he would do as Newt has done. Give a date that he will announce and leave it at that. I don’t even care if that date is 3 months out. His playing coy with the date is BS.

csdeven on July 14, 2007 at 6:42 PM

csdeven on July 14, 2007 at 6:42 PM

I’d like to see him give a date, too. But Fred has yet to give one. Every date anyone has heard has been from a “source”. When Fred himself gives a date I’ll hold him to it, but not until then.

Kowboy on July 14, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Kowboy on July 14, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Several of the sources have been from within his staff, so I have to accept that fred? is party to the tactic. Even if he isn’t, it’s happened enough that he should have gotten involved and made it very clear by now.

csdeven on July 14, 2007 at 7:59 PM

jcmorris on July 14, 2007 at 2:55 PM

It’s hard to imagine that there are lunatics out there who think that kind of a story is a POSITIVE one to write about a candidate.

What is the point of helping to maintain the delusion that there is some gigantic difference between a liberal haven like Commondreams.org and a liberal haven like ABC News?

We spend way too much time defending ourselves from these moonbats. All liberal attacks are personal to begin with; that means the source is ALL that matters, and all that you should ever respond to. If you treat these whack jobs with any respect, you’ve already lost the credibility battle.

logis on July 14, 2007 at 8:22 PM

Hillary is a trophy wife in the sense that kids these days get trophies for participation even if they lose the game.

James on July 16, 2007 at 9:02 AM