WaPo: Fred may be waiting until September to declare

posted at 10:00 am on July 12, 2007 by Allahpundit

So much for my theory that he was trying to duck the Iraq news cycle and take advantage of a slow month. He’s in, but they can’t formally say he’s in yet because they’re not ready to run a campaign yet:

Republican consultant Mary Matalin, who is advising Thompson, said the announcement will be made when the campaign infrastructure is ready to make the most of the surge in interest she believes will follow.

“He has made up his mind,” she said. “And one can appreciate that planning the announcement of what’s on his mind needs to take place in a deliberative fashion.”

Aides brushed aside the idea that the delay in an announcement is the result of disappointment in fundraising. Initially, reports suggested that Thompson’s goal was to raise close to $5 million in the first month. Later, campaign staffers said the goal had always been $2 million in the first month, and they said that had been exceeded.

Hmmm. Meanwhile, Dan Riehl thinks he’s caught “Ol’ Fred” in a backslide over the LAT’s abortion lobbying story. I think it might be worse than that — he’s trying to pull a straddle, where he denies that he lobbied for the group but then doth protest too much about how lawyers and lobbyists represent all sorts of people they don’t agree with. Works for me but I doubt it’ll work for true-believing pro-lifers. No forced him to take their case, after all (assuming he did take it). In any event, listen to the tail end of the Hannity clip I posted the other day. He emphasizes that Sununu doesn’t remember him ever lobbying for the group — while also making the point about not confusing lawyers’ opinions with their clients. Hmmm again.

Comments

Jeez, enough with the Thompson stuff!
I know, I know. I don’t have to read it.

SouthernDem on July 12, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Yawn, let me know when he’s in and I’ll see if I care.

Dash on July 12, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Yawn, let me know when he’s in and I’ll see if I care.

Dash on July 12, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Trust me – he’s in. Do you care?

OBX Pete on July 12, 2007 at 10:14 AM

“Why change what’s working?” one adviser asked.

Well’s that the bottom line. People think they got a conservative candidate here, so why confuse the issue?

I thought his (Fred’s) letter was good, if fluffy and unsubstantial. In my opinion, however, the ‘lawyer’ issue is completely different then the ‘lobbyist’ issue. He can have a pass on cases, but not lobbying work. He needs to answer for that separately.

Regarding the Powerline article and Riehl: Riehl is mixing two separate issues, though there is little doubt Fred would like to put all them under the ‘lawyer’ file himself. What Fred said is fine, IF he separately addresses the lobbying concerns.

Spirit of 1776 on July 12, 2007 at 10:17 AM

Not really. So far I’m with Rudy, who has a record and who I agree with on the majority of issues. Gun control being a big exception…

As for Fred… he’s the guy from Die Hard 2 airport tower. I like him well enough but politically, he’s shown me very very little. So let me know when he’s going to officially announce and lay out general policy plans.

Dash on July 12, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Off Topic:

Guys, this is your last chance. If y’all don’t get it now…

sorry for the off topic.

Ropera on July 12, 2007 at 10:20 AM

hahaha

“ol fred?” is a fake and a liar. The more we put his record out there we find out that his rhetoric is BS. I used to want to separate his record from his rhetoric, but it’s clear that the two cannot be viewed as mutually exclusive. And no matter how much his supporters want to nuance his positions by ignoring his rhetoric in favor of his record one day, and vis versa the next, it’s principled conservatives job to point out that he is a lazy, lying RINO fake and absorb the personal insults leveled against such logical, rational vetting of freds? contradictory positions.

“liar fred?”, YOU STINK!

csdeven on July 12, 2007 at 10:21 AM

The left must be worried about Fred! if they are starting the hit pieces before he even announces. This is going to be the nastiest political season ever. I can feel it in my bones.

elBarto on July 12, 2007 at 10:21 AM

Someone really needs to tell Fred? to fish or get off the pot. If watching McCain fire everyone on his campaign except (including?) himself isn’t enough to convince Fred? to end this charade and finally declare, what will be?

Xrlq on July 12, 2007 at 10:25 AM

As far as I am concerned, any support I may have had for FT has just gone out the window. I want a serious candidate, not some wanker game playing asshole. He’s f*cked himself with me. No vote for you Fred! And I want my contribution back!

cmdrsubfleet on July 12, 2007 at 10:26 AM

Who the F cares who he lobbied for 12 years ago or more?
He’s more conservative than Rudy on all issues, especially on abortion, and he wrote and made a clip very recently reaffirming that he’s pro-life.

LAT’s strategy of alienating Fred from the republican base won’t work at all.

It only stands a chance of improving his standing among the other side, which is good.

The more BS stories like this LAT writes, the better off Fred is.

So bring it on.

AlexB on July 12, 2007 at 10:29 AM

Um, Ropera? What on earth were the people in that video doing? I could not understand a word they were saying, either. I am completely mystified.

RushBaby on July 12, 2007 at 10:30 AM

I don’t really get this. How many people are going to make large campaign donations if they don’t really know if he is in yet? If Newt has any real desire to run, now would be the perfect chance to get in there and steal Fred?s thunder.

WisCon on July 12, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Wow…now we have six opportunities to criticize Fred! on the front page…this has gotten pretty obvious…

DCJeff on July 12, 2007 at 10:34 AM

Who the F cares who he lobbied for 12 years ago or more?

I care, here’s why. I’ll use the most prominent example:

Who has defended Iraq policy? Talk-radio, war blogs, and John McCain. Is the administration out there explaining the situation, is it making sure the real story gets out? NO! It leaves the hard work to others.

I want him to answer the questions and take responsibility for his OWN message! I don’t need another administration that outsources it’s message! At least Rudy (I’m undecided for the record) has the stones to come out and say, hey we don’t agree, at least he takes responsibility for his positions.

Spirit of 1776 on July 12, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Like a bunch of kids on the grocery store floor. Maybe he is waiting for Gore to throw in. Maybe waiting for all the hit pieces to come out. Maybe just broke. Maybe lazy. Doesn’t matter a lick. He will either be on the SuperTuesday tickets or he won’t. Breathe people, breathe…….

Limerick on July 12, 2007 at 10:36 AM

September 10th would be a good day to declare, and state that he will pledge to defeat the Islamofascists who declared war on us, and to remind everyone that “tomorrow was our generation’s call to duty, and to defend our Civilization against the forces of cruelty and intolerance and inhumanity, even if they try to cloak themselves in the disguise of a religion, because no true religon would teach murder and mayhem and chaos and terror.“.

The election season started a year too early, and Thompson understands that no one pays attention until after school starts.

It’s vacation time for most, now. Especially mentally.

No one will care about his “delaying” once he’s in.

profitsbeard on July 12, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Only hard core political junkies like the folks who read this blog (myself most definitely included) give a rat’s behind at this stage of the 2008 presidential election.

Fred and his team are playing this exactly right, no matter how the addicts wail for a fix in July or August 2007.

The Left is scared.to.death of a Fred Thompson candidacy though, and are ginning up the smear machines waaaay early to try to peel off gullible conservatives. That alone should tell you a ton about how potent a Fred Thompson candidacy potentially is.

I’m optimistic.

Fred on July 12, 2007 at 10:37 AM

My money would be on announcing before August. On the other hand, why is everyone ending their support? I do not think anyone questions whether or not he will be running. It is a question of when he has his infrastructure in place to hit the ground running. Of course I’m assuming this

Guest1.1 on July 12, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Come on, guys. He’s only running for President. I mean, it’s not like that’s a job where you ever have to make split-second decisions, without months of deliberation.

Oh wait.

I wonder if he’ll move up his declaration date when the next set of polls show him way, way down? Nobody likes a tease.

Tanya on July 12, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Fred on July 12, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Yes and as I have said before the only ones objecting to his not formally announcing yet are those suffering from a very serious case of instant gratification issues. Fred is running for POTUS, not making toaster strudel or microwave popcorn.

profitsbeard on July 12, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Exactly, and who started it off a full year early? Why none other than Hillary Clinton, yet somehow she managed to drag nearly all the other candidates offsides with her. So now that we have a candidate showing true leadership by not allowing himself to be dragged into the race early, we end up with people with instant gratification issues demanding that he either follow Hillary’s lead or they wont vote for him.

Personally I don’t want someone who is suppose to be a leader following someone else for fear of loosing votes, thats not leadership. The fact that Fred is resisting what must be an enormous pressure to get in early shows that he really does have the intestinal fortitude required to lead, moreover it shows that he has the personal strength to stick by his decisions and not fold at the first hint of opposition.

doriangrey on July 12, 2007 at 11:03 AM

Can you have Fred Fatigue if he hasn’t even announced he’s running yet?

Labamigo on July 12, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Can you have Fred Fatigue if he hasn’t even announced he’s running yet?

Yup.

Tanya on July 12, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Why are people disgruntled/upset if Fred need to hold off until August/September to declare himself for the nomination run? If Fred is confident that once things are finally in place for him to make that announcement and feels that he can certainly turn things around in short order for the Republican nomination then why not share that same confidence as Fred? After all longer one dawdles around the greater the chance to make gaffes and such (re – Dean scream, Kerry’s mouth, etc).

In the age of the internet (both mobile and PC), how many months does a person need to run for nomination of their party for President anyways?

Kokonut on July 12, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Yawn, let me know when he’s in and I’ll see if I care.

The yawn factor is a big risk for him. He can only do this for so long without starting to look like he’s not a serious person. Newt’s holding off, but doesn’t look like he’s being a tease the way Thompson is beginning to look. He should have said “I’ll announce on such and such a day,” and then he should have stuck to it.

smellthecoffee on July 12, 2007 at 11:23 AM

I thought Hillary followed Obama.

Fred can hold off announcing (as I’ve said here before) as long as he likes if he will give more specifics, less platitude. Just let me know what these ‘things only a President can do’ are that he wants to do.

Spirit of 1776 on July 12, 2007 at 11:26 AM

smellthecoffee on July 12, 2007 at 11:23 AM

Yes because having instant gratification is sooo damn important.

doriangrey on July 12, 2007 at 11:26 AM

smellthecoffee on July 12, 2007 at 11:23 AM

Agreed.

Spirit of 1776 on July 12, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Fred fatigue? Since Fred made his intention obliquely known to run it’s been about almost 5 months so far as an unnounced candidate. Which is better? Hearing Fred for two years as an official candidate seeing him on the news continuously like Obama Hussein and Billary? Or have him run for several months for the nomination using the internet (and media) as his engine?

Fred fatique?

Nah.

Just don’t do the Ross Perot thing.

Kokonut on July 12, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Spirit of 1776 on July 12, 2007 at 11:26 AM

I thought Hillary followed Obama.

I believe you have that backwards, hell everybody pretty much knew Hillary was running the minute Bush beat Kerry.

doriangrey on July 12, 2007 at 11:31 AM

If Fred! gets in the race 1 day before the primary (unfortunately, I can only vote in one) and he’s laid out his policy positions, and I think he’s the best candidate, I’ll vote for him.

He’s not planning his campaign around making my days leading up to the primaries interesting.

Political junkies need a fix. If I don’t get it will I shoot myself in the foot? I don’t think so.

jaime on July 12, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Considering the alternatives, if Fred can get in the race and keep talking like he’s talking now, since he’s the only one at that level saying a lot of things that need to be said, he obviouosly shares my opinions an most subjects, I’m willing to forget some things he may or may not have done 20 years ago. (Damn, that was a long-ass sentence.) If he can defend his editorials in The Fred Thompson Report while on a debate platform without buckling, if he can keep on his current course, he’s the man. Maybe he was dumb as a stump during Watergate, maybe he once supported some things that he doesn’t support today, but he’s still the only one up there saying the things that need to be said. Time will tell. Bash him all you want today, before you know anything, but I’m going to wait until he proves himself unworthy in a debate before I bail on him. I have hope.

Privatestock on July 12, 2007 at 11:32 AM

doriangrey on July 12, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Yeah, think BO filed first and was surprised and announced earlier than planned.

But heh, yeah. Like the SNL skit where she says, ‘everyone knows I’ve been running since [childhood or whatever].

Spirit of 1776 on July 12, 2007 at 11:37 AM

*she was surprised. [sigh]

Spirit of 1776 on July 12, 2007 at 11:38 AM

People still watch SNL?

Privatestock on July 12, 2007 at 11:38 AM

It’s amazing to me that these people are the only ones in the entire country who we’re able to seriously consider electing. Is this really the best this country has to offer? I don’t think so. The system is terribly, terribly broken, and needs to be fixed, badly.
Election reform needs to be done, only it needs to be done by the citizenry and NOT by professional politicians. Only problem is, we all seem to be so busy, who really has the time to stop what they’re doing and invest it into reforming and potentially saving this country?

KMC1 on July 12, 2007 at 11:40 AM

AlexB on July 12, 2007 at 10:29 AM

fred? was lobbying as late as 2005 for a company that was trying to deny the victims of asbestos poisoning, their legal lawful right to have an attorney represent them in their cases.

In the early 80′s fred? lobbied for relaxing S&L restrictions that eventually led to the S&L collapse. Later he lobbied for Westinghouse for a boondoggle nuclear project that eventually failed at a cost of 1.7 BILLION dollars. He was also linked to a dictator.

Not that it has mattered to any other fed?head, but at least know what the guys history is before saying what he did is a non-factor.

csdeven on July 12, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Well, I consider myslef to be one of those civics geeks frustrated by the is he in or out discussion that has been taking place daily for the past six months so I’ll try to answer your question in a simple way. We are like children waiting for a ride at an amusement park. We are told every 5 minutes that the ride will be opening in one minute. It is going to be the most exciting, perfect, scary, fun, exhilerating ride we have ever ridden. It is the ride we have been waiting our whole lives for. Five minutes passes and we are told its not yet opening. They want to make sure the ride is safe. Another 5 minutes passes and they come out again and tell us that it might open in one minute. Another 5 minutes passes and they come out again and tell us that their is a very good chance the ride will open in one minute. Another 5 minutes passes. We already paid our money. We are wondering whether or not our money was well spent after the next five minutes passes. The ride operators now come out and tell us that it will open in one minute (they think). Five minutes passes and now people start to leave. They leave basically because it comes down to annoyance, impatience and the puzzlement about why they kept telling us the ride was going to open in one minute. We would have been perfectly happy to show up on the actual openning for such a great ride if they were just honest with us about the true opening date. Now we are wondering, is the ride actually going to be safe when it finally opens? Apparently there is a lot of confusion/indecisiveness behind the scenes. Hmm, it seems some of the other rides have been operating smoothly for some time now. Perhaps I’ll ride one of those.

Zetterson on July 12, 2007 at 11:45 AM

profitsbeard on July 12, 2007 at 10:37 AM

The problem is that fred? cannot say that without flip-flopping on the issue that he will lead us.

He has already said several times that he will let the troops decide if we should stay in Iraq. And he don’t mean generals. He referred to enlisted troops.

He has said that he will not use unreasonable means to win the war, meaning he is sees defeat as possible outcome.

Just today, there is a headline that reports that Rudy, Mitt!, and fred? are distancing themselves for the war.

csdeven on July 12, 2007 at 11:49 AM

I’m beginning to think this is all a sham. Fred continues to hold everyone’s attention and hearts while effectively causing various other campaigns to bleed to death.

McCain is dead, Romney is falling, and others such as Tancredo are unable to gain any traction. He’ll wait as long as he can, continually teasing up until the last minute when he’ll pull out and leave Giuliani as the only possibility.

Gregor on July 12, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Fred Thompson is the first President in modern times to understand exactly how the new media works, and how the old media is falling apart.

This is exactly why he will win in 2008. In time he will be compared to JFK in this regards, as JFK is credited in understanding the new impact of Television in his race against Nixon.

thareb on July 12, 2007 at 11:54 AM

This is nothing new. Look at Fahrenheit 911.

If an accusation is accurate but frivolous, it can be laughed at. And if an accusation is serious but fraudulent, it can be disproved.

But when an accusation is simultaneously inaccurate AND inane, then any attempt to address it on its “merits” makes you look like a fool. The only proper response is to attack the idiot who said it in the first place.

Works for me but I doubt it’ll work for true-believing pro-lifers.

Well, they say they don’t care.

But what the hell do they know, huh?

logis on July 12, 2007 at 11:56 AM

…er… CANDIDATE.

Lol! Though I may as well say “President”…

thareb on July 12, 2007 at 11:56 AM

thareb on July 12, 2007 at 11:54 AM

fred? is the president? Good gravy!

csdeven on July 12, 2007 at 11:56 AM

Dash on July 12, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Then you must be a liberal, because Rudy is a liberal on every issue except how he “talks” about the war, which so far … is only talk. There’s nothing conservative in his history.

Gregor on July 12, 2007 at 12:02 PM

OT

Ropera on July 12, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Sweet.

Back on topic:

The LA Times is owned by the Tribune group, as in Chicago. While the Times has obviously dedicated themselves solely to the Swiftboating of Fred!, the Tribune has openly dedicated themselves to non-stop celebration of the Messiah, and All Things Obama, All the Time.

Interesting.

Jaibones on July 12, 2007 at 12:02 PM

(Oops, free registration required)

Jaibones on July 12, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Dash on July 12, 2007 at 10:19 AM

I’m with you. I’m guessing Clinton is going to coast through with the dem nomination, and Rudy has the best shot at beating her in general election. I could support Fred, but not until he actually gets in the race.

BadgerHawk on July 12, 2007 at 12:04 PM

Blah Blah Fred “your candidate announcement is in another castle” Thompson Blah Blah “will declare August 32nd” Blah Blah.

BKennedy on July 12, 2007 at 12:06 PM

csdeven on July 12, 2007 at 11:56 AM

fred? is the president? Good gravy!

Dont worry, there will be plenty of time for you to commit Seppuku when it does happen.

doriangrey on July 12, 2007 at 12:09 PM

doriangrey on July 12, 2007 at 12:09 PM

I was pointing out that another fred?head is speaking of fred? as if he IS the president already and the cowardly lying RINO isn’t even a candidate.

csdeven on July 12, 2007 at 12:12 PM

I’m curious if anyone who donated to Fred? feels letdown by these constant delays in announcing the inevitable?

lorien1973 on July 12, 2007 at 12:17 PM

csdeven on July 12, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Like I said, dont worry, there will be plenty of time for you to commit Seppuku when it does happen. Maybe you want to start practicing now, Seppuku is something that you really dont want to screw up.

doriangrey on July 12, 2007 at 12:20 PM

thareb on July 12, 2007 at 11:54 AM

I don’t understand that perception, perhaps you would care to elaborate? As I said before:

I’m not clear how one could conclude he is cutting-edge, as Kos (& others) pushed the net involvement in politics. It is the videos and audio on the net? Special because his are on ABC and various RW blogs, not just on candidate’s websites? The first election on-line video I saw was Hunter, honestly, and there is the Youtube series and the Powerline candidate forum, all of which are audio/video components that are supposedly Fred’s prophetic quality.

Or perhaps it is meant that he is special because he engages the bloggers and blog readers? So from that standard we would have to label McCain prophetic for saying they should have a bi-weekly? conference call with bloggers. Or perhaps it’s because he blogs himself? Well in that case we would have to call E. Edwards prophetic. One also has to overlook Hunter’s letters written directly for LGF re:Israel. The casting of Fred, by some has been an exercise in hyperbole, thus he is subject to equalizing factors. [I just cite this for example]

The only way that they can be comfortably cast is in a relative light. Meaning Fred’s ‘campaign’ has a large percentage of it’s effort invested on the web. But in absolute values, is it greater than Mitt and mini-Mitt or others? Measured in absolute values, it’s highly unlikely.

I’ll be happy to listen if you would care to explain why that’s wrong. I honestly think it is just a relative vs absolute comparison currently that creates that hype.

Spirit of 1776 on July 12, 2007 at 12:23 PM

F Fred. So sick of this guy already. I mean, how much talk about him on this site. What stunning record does he have?

You want to look at a record of getting things done, Rudy is the man!

kcluva on July 12, 2007 at 12:25 PM

lorien1973 on July 12, 2007 at 12:17 PM

….

No I don’t feel disappointment. Granted I didn’t send him the mortgage money, but money just the same. Donated to Mitt and Tanc too. Rudy will have to wait until he gets the nod (if he does).

Bottom line for me….we are in trouble folks. No matter how bad the opposition is the mood in this country is ugly.
Eating our own is suicide (are you listening CS?).

Limerick on July 12, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Limerick on July 12, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Eating our own is suicide (are you listening CS?).

No he’s not, he is too busy eating…

doriangrey on July 12, 2007 at 12:29 PM

kcluva on July 12, 2007 at 12:25 PM

You want to look at a record of getting things done, Rudy is the man!

Sorry but nobody that fails to understand that without the Framers original intent behind the 2nd amendment none of the rest of your constitutional rights are worth the paper they are written on is going to be my first choice.

doriangrey on July 12, 2007 at 12:34 PM

kcluva on July 12, 2007 at 12:25 PM

I wish we had more threads on other candidates too.

Spirit of 1776 on July 12, 2007 at 12:34 PM

You want to look at a record of getting things done, Rudy is the man!

kcluva on July 12, 2007 at 12:25 PM

LOL! Another Giuliani employee managed to register on HotAir.

Gregor on July 12, 2007 at 12:51 PM

You want to look at a record of getting things done, Rudy is the man!
kcluva on July 12, 2007 at 12:25 PM

I’ll take a shot at that.

A conservative doesn’t necessarily want the POTUS to “[get] things done”. A conservative wants limited government, and wants the Federal Government to do what the constitution as its responsibilities, and leave the rest to the States. On the other hand, a conservative doesn’t want State (or City) governments to usurp Federal functions.

For example: Rudy being pro-abortion in a State setting is appropriate because that is a State function, not Federal. Another good example is Mitt’s universal health care at the State level. That’s a State issue, not a Federal issue, and appropriate for Mitt to deal with as Governor.

But does Rudy know the limits? I don’t think so. He made New York a “sanctuary city”, subverting Federal immigration law. He also tried to curtail gun manufacturing and sales in other States, subverting Federal Constitutional rights. He actually made the gun laws in New York worse for New Yorkers, denying their Constitutional rights. Some people might consider these issues “getting things done”, but not conservatives.

A candidate’s philosophy regarding the role of government is the most important factor. I would say that Rudy’s actions on abortion, health care, etc. would not bother me one bit if I thought he knew the limits of government. But his actions dealing with illegal immigration and gun rights scare the hell out of me.

jaime on July 12, 2007 at 12:52 PM

elBarto on July 12, 2007 at 10:21 AM

Amen to that, elBarto.

What’s the deal with this obsession with when or if Fred declares? Is there some requirement that he declare now?

On the one hand, he’s hurting his campaign by not being official – restraining his ability to raise funds for sure.

On the other hand, he’s helping his campaign by not being official – Broadcast and cable media outlets can have old Fred on anytime they want as an analyst or consultant until he declares. He can duck the issues, not state his positions, and generally not be subject to the onslaught he will receive once official.

The way it stands now, he’s got all of the benefits of being a candidate without officially being one. So, why should he declare until he absolutely has to?

BacaDog on July 12, 2007 at 12:57 PM

When the former senator from Tennessee first acknowledged his interest in the White House

Must give credit to the WaPo – so far haven’t seen any paper introduce the subject with anything other than “actor” or “lobbyist” or “lawyer” first, then maybe followed by “senator”. Maybe I was just not observant enough…

No one is more fatigued than the good people of Iowa. They are sick and tired of all the candidates and the trampling all over their lives and lawns, this early. Polls of last week prove this.

Suggestion – csdeven for CiC. He’s a “principled conservative” and a good guy, really. csd, go forward and announce already. If not, a little mining and projection will determine how many more comments will be posted/repeated on the same topic until at least Sept., by many of us. Fatigue, indeed.

Entelechy on July 12, 2007 at 1:00 PM

The way it stands now, [Thompson]’s got all of the benefits of being a candidate without officially being one. So, why should he declare until he absolutely has to?
BacaDog on July 12, 2007 at 12:57 PM

Because the LA Times and the other moonbats all agree that he should?

I mean, they all want the Democrats to lose in 2008, right?

logis on July 12, 2007 at 1:21 PM

Like I said before, Fred Thompson is a lazy-ass and doesn’t want to work very hard. Not presidential material if you ask me.

DfDeportation on July 12, 2007 at 1:22 PM

AMEN, my bruhthah! Lord, the last thing I want to have is one more mug vying for face time. I’m sick of them all already. Bless Fred! for giving us a reprieve from one more strident kiss ass trying desperately to wrench free from the pack.

tree hugging sister on July 12, 2007 at 1:24 PM

It’s like waiting for the rerun season to end and the new programs to come out in September. We’ve seen this episode over and over. The cliff hanger keeps us wondering how it will all turn out. Have to wait till September to learn the fate of our hero.

Kini on July 12, 2007 at 1:37 PM

tree hugging sister on July 12, 2007 at 1:24 PM

And what did Fred Thompson actually DO that makes the moonbats so outraged? OK, he mentioned on a talk show that he might consider running for President. Well, it’s a little hard to see how that qualifies him as the AntiChrist, does it?

So what ELSE did Fred Thompson do?

Is he resonspible for picking the RINOs the media have been telling us are our “front runners” since two years before the election?

Did he make all the other “Ten Little Indians” as dull as dishwater?

Did he hypnotize the conservative base into being so sick of the above that we’re desperate for any candidate who can articulate a clear federalist position?

Well, of course the answer to all of the above and more is a resounding “YES!” — According to the moonbats.

Fred Thompson imposed himself on no one. Except for the handful of people who keep track of bit parts in TV dramas, the only reason anyone knows Fred Thompson’s NAME is because the conservative base knows what he stands for, and we’re pushing him like crazy.

And that’s exactly why the moonbats are going even further off the deep end than they’ve ever gone before.

logis on July 12, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Limerick on July 12, 2007 at 12:27 PM

I hear you and respect your opinion. I don’t think fred? is one of us. For me, he is a lying faker, and that trumps any and all rhetoric on his supposed positions.

csdeven on July 12, 2007 at 2:09 PM

I wish we had more threads on other candidates too.

Spirit of 1776 on July 12, 2007 at 12:34 PM

Me too, but fred? lies so much, and there are soooooo many that lap it up and only a few who see him for the lying fake he is. It makes for lots and lots of vetting. When certain people can stay on the topic of fred? and not fixating on me, a lot more vetting will be done.

csdeven on July 12, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Fred’s response to the lobbying thing is poetry, but I’m not sure I really buy into this new defense. Yesterday it was denial, now lobbying is an example of his patriotism? Yes, everyone is entitled to legal representation, but you, as an attorney, are not obligated to represent them. This was not some truly picturesque example of America’s greatness; this was highly profitable influence peddling. The current state of lobbying in America is a disgrace to the very notion of “democracy,” so please spare me the BS that lobbying was some sort of patriotic obligation to the country. A conscious choice was made to lobby for this organization. That may be an indicator that he doesn’t care either way about abortion (as he has stated, he wants it left to the states to decide), or it may simply say that he likes making money. Either way, no one forced him into a corner on this one.

Sick and tired of abortion being the only issue to gauge conservative candidates. Aside from Rudy, does anyone really think there would be much of a difference in the judges these guys appoint?

Medicated on July 12, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Gosh, you’re goofy sometimes.

tree hugging sister on July 12, 2007 at 2:33 PM

and not fixating on me

Don’t give people reason to “fixate” and they won’t.

Act like a target and you’ll be one.

jdawg on July 12, 2007 at 2:34 PM

csdeven on July 12, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Dude, you’re preaching to the choir. We all figured out your “point” after the first couple of hundred of these. You “know” that Fred Thompson is evil, and nothing can ever possibly change your mind.

WE. GET. IT.

Seriously, does this forum have ANY moderation at all? ‘Cause if not, I think those of us who don’t appreciate endless Spam don’t really have any business here.

logis on July 12, 2007 at 2:39 PM

It’s interesting how so many people here are ready to drop their support for Fred for not announcing when they think he should have. I understand the frustration, but let’s consider the issues, people. Campaign timing is not one of the more important issues facing this country right now. And, as for those of you who won’t support Fred because he didn’t meet your idea of an appropriate time-line, but you’d support a guy who dismisses the 2nd ammendment and ran a sanctuary city, all I can say is, well………..ugh.

speed911 on July 12, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Matalin is advising Fred?

He’s toast….

jeffshultz on July 12, 2007 at 2:46 PM

Sigh… same people saying the same things…

Nothin to see here… movein on…

Romeo13 on July 12, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Matalin is advising Fred?

He’s toast….

jeffshultz on July 12, 2007 at 2:46 PM

Bush, Sr. and Bush Jr. both actually had some brilliant advisors. All that really matters is how you USE them.

And, most important of all, knowing when to tell them to go to Hell.

logis on July 12, 2007 at 3:16 PM

Now I am a Fred Head, The ONLY reason I can think of as to why he is waiting until September to announce is because he knows it is my birthday and it will be his gift to me.

Any other reason is totally unacceptable.

OrthodoxRobert on July 12, 2007 at 3:35 PM

doriangrey on July 12, 2007 at 12:20 PM

But in order to perform Seppuku properly, a friend must be behind you with a katana to administer the final blow. Reckon he’s got one of those?

Kowboy on July 12, 2007 at 4:53 PM

csdeven on July 12, 2007 at 2:12 PM

I know how you can accomplish this.

Shut up.

Kowboy on July 12, 2007 at 4:55 PM

There’s no straddle. Fred is simply pre-empting the next bogus lobbying/lawyering story that pops up.

someone on July 12, 2007 at 5:48 PM

Gosh, you’re goofy sometimes.

tree hugging sister on July 12, 2007 at 2:33 PM

Gaarrrrsh.

csdeven on July 12, 2007 at 6:02 PM

logis on July 12, 2007 at 2:39 PM

Somebody call the Waaaaaaaaaaambulance!

csdeven on July 12, 2007 at 6:04 PM

Kowboy on July 12, 2007 at 4:55 PM

I order you to give me $100.

csdeven on July 12, 2007 at 6:05 PM

“When certain people can stay on the topic of fred? and not fixating on me, a lot more vetting will be done….”

But in order to perform Seppuku properly, a friend must be behind you with a katana to administer the final blow. Reckon [CS]’s got one of those?

Kowboy on July 12, 2007 at 4:53 PM

In his own mind, he thinks he has dozens of friends.

We tend to think of “trolls” as only being on the Internet. But you know that can’t be true. We see them in real life all the time — on street corners, shouting epithets at lampposts.

But when one of them comes to an Internet forum – he’s able to type without slurring or emitting any particular odors. So people TALK TO HIM. Ok, to be precise, most of us are making fun of him. But he couldn’t care less about that.

All he knows is that the Internet is the one place on earth where he can make contact with other human beings and not be physically restrained.

As far as he’s concerned, we are the best friends he has.

logis on July 12, 2007 at 6:16 PM

elBarto on July 12, 2007 at 10:21 AM

They say that every election cycle.

As for Fred and September I broke out the Bobby Vinton 45

Though we gotta say goodbye for the summer
Freddie, I promise you this
I’ll defend all your positions
Every day in a blog entry
Sealed with a kiss

Yes, it’s gonna be a cold lonely summer
But I’ll fill the emptiness
I’ll send you all my donation pledges
Every day in a letter
Sealed with a kiss

I’ll see you in the sunlight
I’ll hear your voice everywhere
I’ll run to ardently support you
But Freddie, you won’t be there

I don’t wanna wait forever
Knowing the campaigning we’ll miss
So let us make a pledge
To announce in September
And seal it with a kiss

[Instrumental Interlude]

Yes, it’s gonna be a cold lonely summer
But I’ll fill the emptiness
I’ll send you all my donation pledges
Every day in a letter
Sealed with a kiss

Sealed with a kiss
Sealed with a kiss

Bradky on July 13, 2007 at 12:06 AM

What is it with Rudy’s southern leadership?

South Carolina treasurer indicted on cocaine charges (Rudy’s state campaign boy).

Louisiana Senator “Oh Brothel!” Vitter (Rudy’s southern leader).

Then, Rudy in the north…

Bernard “I don’t have to pay nanny taxes” Kerik (Rudy’s police commissioner)

Donna “Rudy Is Screwing Around On Me” Hanover dumped for a younger…

It seems that Rudy has people selection issues. Is this the man you want selecting pro-choice Supremes, DHS management, treasury secretary, etc? Rudy hates tax reform and the unborn children.

There’s an awful lot of slam Fred! stuff on Hot Air and Rudy is getting a pass.

saved on July 13, 2007 at 4:57 AM

logis on July 12, 2007 at 6:16 PM

hahaha

You attack others personally and would never do it face to face, and I rag fred? because he’s too scared to get into a face to face debate with the MSM or the real candidates.

hahaha

That’s rich, dude! Real rich!

csdeven on July 13, 2007 at 6:29 AM

There’s an awful lot of slam Fred! stuff on Hot Air and Rudy is getting a pass.

saved on July 13, 2007 at 4:57 AM

Malkin (and it seems Fox News in general) may have a teeny bit of a soft spot for Romney, but they have a perfect right to like any candidate they want.

But don’t go blaming the Fred-bashing on Malkin. It seems there’s a pretty ugly Moby campaign going on out there.

logis on July 13, 2007 at 11:26 AM

In the first sentence above, I meant to type, “…a soft spot for Rudy…”

logis on July 13, 2007 at 11:42 AM