CNN: Fred won’t announce until August

posted at 5:24 pm on July 11, 2007 by Allahpundit

Ostensibly it’s because his campaign wants to make sure everything’s perfect on launch day, even though they know they’re already dealing with impossible expectations and this will make them that much more impossible. In fact, I think it might be because Congress is in recess in August and he’ll have the headlines to himself. If he announces now, his press coverage runs side by side with stories about spiking violence, Republican defections, and disastrous opinion polls, none of which do him any good given his own position on the war. Or maybe he’s just doing the actorly thing and building suspense for his grand entrance. I don’t know, and I don’t much care anymore.

You made a valiant effort, Frank, particularly with your penultimate point. But I think I’m writing in Hitchens/Hirsi Ali next November. If only they were eligible.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Way to ride the wave, Fred.

Next up…. Newt.

spd rdr on July 11, 2007 at 5:27 PM

I suppose I can understand his thinking. He’s got a lot of hype to live up to, and you don’t want to dissapoint.

emmaline1138 on July 11, 2007 at 5:29 PM

So far its hasnt cost Fred anything to hold off.

IF Fred can engage the blogsphere and keep us interested in him I think he as little to loose.

Fred though HAS to make some moves. If he starts to loose steam that might make him react.

William Amos on July 11, 2007 at 5:30 PM

Dammit Fred, just declare already…

Allah, don’t get so down, things will work out.

Bad Candy on July 11, 2007 at 5:31 PM

Sadly, I believe he’s peaked already. He’s waited too long. Testing the waters is one thing, but waiting for conditions to be just right puts out the wrong message.

synycalwon on July 11, 2007 at 5:32 PM

Until he announces can we just have Arthur Branch pictures? Though frankly, I think we should draft Angie Harmon.

Spirit of 1776 on July 11, 2007 at 5:32 PM

Sadly, I believe he’s peaked already.

Yep. In August, it’ll be Fred? who?

lorien1973 on July 11, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Wonder how long it’ll take csdeven and others to pounce on this, calling Fred! a liar…

jdawg on July 11, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Ron Paul

“They cannna take away our Freedoooomsss !”

William Amos on July 11, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Come on Senator make it official! McCain’s soon-to-be-former campaign staffer need jobs now!!

Mack08 on July 11, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Why so many Fred! articles? Because of the comments? There’s never any Mitt$ or Rudy articles posted yet the msm does hit pieces on them as well…

DCJeff on July 11, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Damn, that would be a good ticket.

Enrique on July 11, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Second of all, most of the rest of the country is going on vacation.

Number 3, school starts in August and people will be around to listen to Fred! get into the race.

I say, keep your powder dry.

I already hate the next election.

Stormy70 on July 11, 2007 at 5:36 PM

synycalwon on July 11, 2007 at 5:32 PM

It does seem that way…

DCJeff on July 11, 2007 at 5:36 PM

I’m starting to snooze over here…if this “wait for it, wait for it” is the methodology of the Fred! campaing…I’m going to start looking elsewhere. I’m a Fred supporter, but at least Romney doesn’t seem to be toying with my emotions quite so much.

Hear that Fred!…support is starting to waver.

StoutRepublican on July 11, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Damn, that would be a good ticket.

That’s the atheist all-star team, dude. Anti-jihad, anti-religion.

Allahpundit on July 11, 2007 at 5:37 PM

A creeping Fred fatigue is setting in.

JammieWearingFool on July 11, 2007 at 5:37 PM

I think it is a good call. I can envision Billary sitting there with the attack dogs on the leash waiting for him to announce. And waiting…and waiting…

Guest1.1 on July 11, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Guest1.1 on July 11, 2007 at 5:41 PM

I don’t think it hurts Hillary at all. Hillary is all about poll-testing image politics. Fred, until he announces, is about image politics. She will be able to chop at his image more than any other candidate.

Spirit of 1776 on July 11, 2007 at 5:45 PM

Fred said it takes a while to get all things and people in place to run (not to mention money) and it does. But I think they are still testing the “scandal” waters. They have to see what the other side will dig up and what they can use.

I think that might be a complicated process for a Hollywood actor, not to mention a lobbyist.

Just saying.

Rightwingsparkle on July 11, 2007 at 5:47 PM

Is Fred dropping in any polls because he has waited? Just curious if there was any data to back up some of the things being said about fred fatigue.

He’s just waiting for some of the conservatives drop out and saving some money and energy in the process.

I’m thinking he is waiting on one BIG endorsement before he announces. And he will have the person next to him at the announcement. Any guesses?

hashman on July 11, 2007 at 5:47 PM

The campaign-in-waiting is still being put together, and Thompson supporters say they want to have “100 percent” of the staff in place by the time of the announcement.

This makes sense. I’m sure some will call Fred! names for this, though.

Also,

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson is now likely to announce his presidential campaign in August, not mid-July as previously envisioned and will skip the Republican straw poll in Ames, Iowa, people familiar with Thompson’s thinking tell CNN.

People familiar with Thompson’s thinking? Uh, didn’t they get this from the ‘campaign-in-waiting’? Apparently not. So, there really isn’t anything here to report, really, is there?

jdawg on July 11, 2007 at 5:50 PM

This election cycle is still early, let her / him use their funds against everyone else for the time being. I am certain the August announcement will be good for Fred!.

Guest1.1 on July 11, 2007 at 5:50 PM

*smacks forehead*

Of course! “Law and Order” is in summer re-runs! Nice bit of pocket change, that. Be a shame to let it go just to announce for a race still 15 months away.

/snark

spd rdr on July 11, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Tease. Tease. Tease.

I think I dated his sister.

locomotivebreath1901 on July 11, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Second of all, most of the rest of the country is going on vacation.

I say, keep your powder dry.

I already hate the next election.

Stormy70 on July 11, 2007 at 5:36 PM

I agree w/ Stormy. Everyone else jumped into the race earlier than ever. Waiting another month? Big deal.

StephC on July 11, 2007 at 5:52 PM

I love that ticket, AP! As for Fred, he’s following the Gen. Wesley Clark campaign playbook, and it ain’t a winner as we all know.

The Sinner on July 11, 2007 at 5:52 PM

people familiar with Thompson’s thinking tell CNN.

Did csdeven tell them this?

jdawg on July 11, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Could just be waiting for the rest of McCain’s staff to free up.

dedalus on July 11, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Both Fred and Newt made appearances and short speeches at Hannity’s Freedom Concert South last night in Atlanta. Both were greeted with shouts of “Run”, Fred more than Newt; although Newt got a lot more positive reaction and applause during at at the end of his appearance than did Fred.

I don’t remember anything Fred said; but I very much remember Newt’s content and he was cogently right on target. Newt has to be one of the best conservative thinkers of our time.

DUTCH VanATL on July 11, 2007 at 5:54 PM

Guest1.1 on July 11, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Yes, but meanwhile Hillary is collecting attack dogs from her friends and neighbors.

StoutRepublican on July 11, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Especially since Fred told Hannity he’s made a decision, but isn’t going to tell.

William Amos on July 11, 2007 at 5:30 PM

Actually, it seems to have pissed some people off.

amerpundit on July 11, 2007 at 5:54 PM

I’m really hoping that Fred will add to the $1,000,000,000 estimate for total spending on the campaign trail. Our Forefathers are turning in their graves. And this country is in deep trouble. I’d rather that a Denny’s manager run for President, at least he/she would know what the price of a gallon of milk is.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 11, 2007 at 5:56 PM

That’s the atheist all-star team, dude. Anti-jihad, anti-religion.

Allahpundit on July 11, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Unfortunately for the atheists here, an anti-religion ticket would never work in this country.

Esthier on July 11, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Why should Fred hurry up and announce anything?
He’s already got the trophy wife, who are we?
He wins by default.

Kini on July 11, 2007 at 6:11 PM

Maybe Fred is waiting to inherit those “gay” sweaters from McCain when he drops out — they’re too small, of course, but, come the winter, he can put a sportcoat over them and hide the slit down the back.

Go, Fred!

Nichevo on July 11, 2007 at 6:12 PM

August?

Come on!

/Gob

frankj on July 11, 2007 at 6:15 PM

Esthier on July 11, 2007 at 6:07 PM

An anti-Atheist one wouldn’t either. I don’t like anti’s unless its anti-Jihadi or anti-Socialist/Leftist or anti-Nannystate, and I wouldn’t support some mad dog anti-Atheist. Which is my issue with Hitch and anti-religion people.

Bad Candy on July 11, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Oh man. If this game continues much longer the name Fred Thompson is going to start to be used as a punch line by the opposition/media. He cannot afford to do this again.

Zetterson on July 11, 2007 at 6:17 PM

What Stormy said.

Fred on July 11, 2007 at 6:18 PM

Esthier on July 11, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Absolutely right…the problems lies in the fact that atheists present themself as aggressively anti-religion, instead of articulating that religion shouldn’t be a litmus test, they make religion a defacto litmus test by verbally assaulting those who hold to one as stupid, ignorant, etc.

Atheism I have no problem with…atheism as reactionary philosophy existing just to ridicule (with vitriol) those who believe in something, won’t work.

Ah yes…atheism…the religion that doesn’t need to stand on any merit of it’s own, instead it need only slander or “disprove” every other religion, then set itself up as true by default.

That’s why I choose agnostic…

StoutRepublican on July 11, 2007 at 6:20 PM

Enrique, are you eligible? If yes, I’ll write you and AP in.

Entelechy on July 11, 2007 at 6:21 PM

First of all, the only people paying attention to this 2008 election crap are political junkies. …
Stormy70 on July 11, 2007 at 5:36 PM
StephC on July 11, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Well, it worked pretty darned well for the first couple of hundred years of Presidential campaigns. I’m sure that if declaring two years in advance gave candidates a lock over those who didn’t, everyone would have figured that out a very long time ago.

But now, this year, “everyone knows” that all of a sudden all the old rules won’t work anymore.

Why? Because the media told us so ten thousand times, and hyped everyone into a frenzy. And for absolutely no other reason.

logis on July 11, 2007 at 6:21 PM

He ought to wait until 30 days before the primaries so, courtesy his bill, no one can put out an ad against him.

Spirit of 1776 on July 11, 2007 at 6:23 PM

StephC on July 11, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Because it’s not like Fred’s declaring a month later than everyone else. The second quarter fundraising is already finished. As much as people like Fred, Americans aren’t just going to run up to him with their wallets open, whenever the heck he decides he’s good and ready to declare.

I don’t think it’s even so much the fact that he’s waiting to declare. It’s that he appears to be taunting.

amerpundit on July 11, 2007 at 6:26 PM

Fred doesn’t have his heart in this, clearly. He’s probably only doing it to make his trophy wife happy, since she pushed him to run in the first place. Fred is lazy, folks, not some political genius running a stealth campaign. He’s done. GO RUDY!

The Sinner on July 11, 2007 at 6:41 PM

At this rate Fred will announce a week before the election, swoop in and win the nomination.

aengus on July 11, 2007 at 6:42 PM

WASHINGTON (CNN) …people familiar with Thompson’s thinking tell CNN.

Zetterson on July 11, 2007 at 6:17 PM

Just out of a completely idle curiosity, just what, exactly, is it that you think Fred Thompson “did” to you that was so nearly unforgivable?

Personally, I’m not enough of retard to pay any attention to those “anonymous source” stories in the first place. But this time CNN has actually gone a step beyond that to tell us that their imaginary friends READ FRED THOMPSON’S MIND.

So now, based on the third-hand, simultaneously fictitious and metaphysical claims of a source that had no credibility to begin with, you’re now utterly convinced that Fred Thompson has physically said or done something that is in some way inappropriate.

…Oh, wow…. Hey, sorry for the brief lapse into reality there. Let me get back on track with the discussion and start all over again:

That’s it; if that Thompson bastard goes and does this one more time, I’m getting my shotgun!

logis on July 11, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Bad Candy on July 11, 2007 at 6:16 PM

I suppose you’re right, only I can’t recall any anti-Atheist people right now. Religious people may disagree with atheists, but they don’t generally make a point of calling them out the way the anti-religious types do.

Those who are religious just tend to stand for their religion, not against someone’s disbelief.

Esthier on July 11, 2007 at 6:53 PM

I am also getting tired of waiting. But there may be legal issues with obligations to ABC and NBC that may need to be considered. Who knows? He all but say he was running on Hannity.

I can stick it out. After all when you think about it he really is the only candidate that is running for President by popular demand (drafted?). IMHO.

mechkiller_k on July 11, 2007 at 6:55 PM

Can you get this message to Dobson, Falwell and the rest of the evangelical movement? I think they missed the memo.

Yes, there is indeed a religious litmus test, particularly in the Republican Party. And not just any religion, the right religions. Ask Romney the cultist.

JackStraw on July 11, 2007 at 6:57 PM

Rightwingsparkle on July 11, 2007 at 5:47 PM

Maybe. I personally think he’s waiting to get a better feel for the Iraq situation just in time to pick the “right” side before Petraeus’ report in September. However, there are 40 pounds of “DC Madam” phone records being scoured, and he WAS a single man in Washington during that period…

Big S on July 11, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Big S on July 11, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Considering the woman he married, I doubt he ever had a hard time scaring up a date.

He is unconstrained with the limits on tv, radio, etc that are imposed on announced candidates. Let him take his time.

CrimsonFisted on July 11, 2007 at 7:06 PM

The free press, attention and promotion Fred garners by not being so horny to jump in can be tallied in the millions. He is building a full head of steam and has not had to shovel a single shovel full of coal. Coal in this case is CASH.

TheSitRep on July 11, 2007 at 7:07 PM

Allahpundit — with the crazy Cinton notion of the endless campaign, we are over a year before the election. Burning money and going nowhere, that is what is going on with the competition. Tell me, what is the point of that. I think the early compressed primary cycle is nuts. The way it was before, with the primary stretched out, there was plenty of time to get acquainted.

I don’t expect Fred to do much after he announces, it’s a long ball game, and he is going to be in to win. Raising money isn’t the metric to measure. Fred has vauted to the front without even announcing or raising much money. That’s the new way forward.

Big S — As far as Iraq is concerned, Fred has already said he supports the surge and finishing the job. Pulling out would be a disaster. So there is no need to avoid the question.

tarpon on July 11, 2007 at 7:10 PM

Even I’m getting tired of this.

I can see the strategies at play here, and yes, the whole dang pack of campaigners on both sides declared at least a year before anyone should have….. But I’m getting tired of being ‘played’.

Wish Duncan Hunter had a better chance. He seems to be the only SERIOUS and deliberate real conservative of the bunch. Unfortunately he’d have to win on American Idol to get enough name recognition for this go-round.

I’m thinking about a ‘Draft Malkin’ campaign.

Malkin/Hunter 2008

Although Malkin/Tancredo sounds pretty good too.

LegendHasIt on July 11, 2007 at 7:14 PM

His honorary Skull & Bones initiation ceremony isn’t scheduled til the end of July.

frreal on July 11, 2007 at 7:15 PM

You people got to get a life. Only political junkies follow this so closely as to make it tedious. The rest of America hasn’t even heard of Fred Thompson yet. In August that will change.

That’s the atheist all-star team, dude. Anti-jihad, anti-religion.

Or one could spin it this way:

Anti-Christian, Still a muslim. Doesn’t sound so good then.

jihadwatcher on July 11, 2007 at 7:16 PM

Junkies was the correct word. Gimme a fix will ya?
I don’t like it, but it is what it is. Either the strategy will work or it won’t. By Feb 1 it will all be over anyway and the annointed one will be revealed.

Limerick on July 11, 2007 at 7:22 PM

I wish he would either sh*t or get off the pot!!!

ChrisIansNana on July 11, 2007 at 7:26 PM

…I went to a fortune teller this morning and gazed into her crystal ball.. she slowly narrated the images I was seeing:

It is the year 2027. Fred Thompson wakes up from a deep sleep and hollers out in a raspy voice. Jeri, honey today is the day. Jeri, where are you? She shuffles into the room with her hair all gray and a gentle smile. Fred so good to see you up again.
“Did you hear what I said? I’m announcing today – I can feel it in my bones, this is the right day” With a sad smile Jeri answers “Hon, you fell asleep 20 years ago and didn’t wake until today. Some guy named Allah got a write in as an independent and went on to serve two terms.” “But but. doink doink… I’m the chosen one…” “Oh now dear let’s go play some shuffleboard and I’ll fill you in on what the kids are doing now. One of em is running for congress and well the other is well…. trying to get that damn red truck fixed up”

Bradky on July 11, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Anti-Christian, Still a muslim. Doesn’t sound so good then.

Actually, Ali is an atheist.

Slublog on July 11, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Like a few of you I am also getting tired of waiting on Fred. I’m also thinking he doesn’t have his heart in it also. We’ve sent some money but we’ve also sent some to Rudy. I’m thinking that maybe he’s waiting until John McCain gets out and hopes to pick up the pieces of that campaign.

Catie96706 on July 11, 2007 at 7:42 PM

jihadwatcher on July 11, 2007 at 7:16 PM

The national primary Feb. 5 is just over 5 months away, so yes, I’d say that the race is on and you don’t have to be a political junkie with no life to pay attention. It sounds like you know as much about Ayaan Hirsi Ali as you do about politics. Go back to watching “Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader”, and leave us informed folk in peace.

The Sinner on July 11, 2007 at 7:47 PM

How many of you had parents who let you open a present the week before Christmas? Come on! You can’t wait, what, 28 days or so? Will the red-meat spoil or what?

Limerick on July 11, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Actually, Ali is an atheist.

Actually, she isn’t. She is still a muslim. Some of her most recent statements even took Robert Spencer aback.

jihadwatcher on July 11, 2007 at 7:48 PM

It is very smart to delay his entrance until August. Fred! understands the media, and the void in August is the best time to make his name known.

If he anounces now, then the advantage of the media lag in August is long gone.

Campaigners can join his campaign now. He also needs $$. He *will* announce, but he is playing his cards right, imo.

WWIII on July 11, 2007 at 7:52 PM

Actually, Ali is an atheist.

Slublog on July 11, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Right you are, Slublog. And her explanation is enough to send chills up the spine.

amerpundit on July 11, 2007 at 6:26 PM

I sort of ambled up and opened my wallet. The thank you letter I got was remarkable for its sincerity, simplicity, and lack of urging me to send more. Dang I hope you’re wrong about the taunting, but I must admit I am starting to feel toyed with.

It would be great if he announced his candidacy and disclosed a formidable war chest at the same time.

One of the opposing HotHead camps will be vindicated in the long run. I have this fantasy about csdeven and his new buddy jackstraw buying round after round after round…

RushBaby on July 11, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Question: The longer he waits, (not announcing his running for office), does he have to disclose any monies that have been voluntarily “given” to him?

msflea on July 11, 2007 at 7:54 PM

I think Fred should announce on January 1st 2008. It’ll be worth just as much then as in August.

thedecider on July 11, 2007 at 7:56 PM

If he is rising or holding steady in polls and not spending a bloody dime on campaign commercials, why commit? He hasn’t been raising funds but hasn’t been spending much either so all these early fundraising numbers are pretty much meaningless. All these candidates draw all this money and blow it early on and for what?

July or August is a good time to be the new face, when the people are just about getting sick of hearing about the old faces.

crosspatch on July 11, 2007 at 7:58 PM

jihadwatcher on July 11, 2007 at 7:48 PM

She’s said some mildly positive things about Islam, but to my knowledge has not identified herself as a Muslim. She is on record as saying “I came to the conclusion [that] I do not believe in the existence of a god or in the hereafter.”

Slublog on July 11, 2007 at 8:04 PM

leave us informed folk in peace.

What peace would that be and how did I disturb it? Explain.

Fred knows exactly what he is doing. For all intents and purposes he is already declared and already running. Impatience is a classic liberal trait, not a conservative one.

jihadwatcher on July 11, 2007 at 8:06 PM

Yes Sublog, but she is still a muslim for cultural purposes. She still says “Peace be Upon Him” when referring to the pedophile prophet. That is not good. At least not good for the president of the United States to say. She has never formally rejected Islam like Ali Sina, for example. I can think of a lot more qualified people to occupy that space that DON’T say PBUH. As for Hitchens, he is entertaining to listen to when he speaks on islam, but a bore to listen to on every other subject considering he is, by trade, a left-wing socialist.

jihadwatcher on July 11, 2007 at 8:13 PM

jihadwatcher on July 11, 2007 at 8:13 PM

Here’s Ms. Ali on NPR’s “Talk of the Nation,” February 5, 2007:

Ms. HIRSI ALI: I’m not a believing Muslim. I don’t believe in Allah, the Koran, the Prophet, angels and so on, but I was born into that civilization, or if you can’t call it a civilization, into that background. And I think that I – because of that and because I care about these issues, I have an obligation to speak up and to say at least I’m not a part of it and exactly respond to people like Mr. Mogee and say let’s please stop blaming external forces. We’ve done that, and that only just serves to keep us stagnant and backward and in conflict with others. So I’m not a believing Muslim, but my parents are. I’m a part of that history, and in the world we are living now, I think it’s everybody’s duty to fight for whatever humans have reached – have achieved in civilization. And that’s what’s here now, and that’s what under threat.

There’s no PBUH there.

Slublog on July 11, 2007 at 8:20 PM

Ayaan Hirsi Ali, National Press Club – June 18, 2007

And what do cartoonists do? They draw. You can’t just say, you know, “In the name of my prophet, I’m going to kill you, and I’m going to do all these atrocities.” And those other people who share in that belief are silent when those atrocities take place. And then when a cartoonist does his job, then you say, “I want the head of the cartoonist.” By doing that, you’re only confirming what everyone else has been suspecting Islam and Mohammed to be.

Huh. No PHUB there, either.

Slublog on July 11, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Slublog on July 11, 2007 at 8:25 PM

She did say it here though and people were wondering if it was her that said it or if it were added later.

EnochCain on July 11, 2007 at 8:28 PM

For the life of me I can’t understand why people here are so anxious for Fred to declare right now. What’s the difference? You can attack him now. The MSM isn’t waiting why should anyone else?

His strategy is working for him. He’s near the top in most polls without spending any money or having to show up for a lot of dog and pony shows. If your tired of it, stop talking about it. There’s plenty of other things going on in the world to keep you busy.

TheBigOldDog on July 11, 2007 at 8:34 PM

EnochCain on July 11, 2007 at 8:28 PM

I just did a Lexis/Nexis search of news stories and transcripts of interviews with Ms. Ali and have yet to come across a quote where she uses that phrase when referring to Mohammed.

Slublog on July 11, 2007 at 8:37 PM

When Fred will announce no longer concerns me. I’m watching him craft a whole new way to run for President that could well be the anti campaign Presidential campaign. I’m actually enjoying it and hoping it works. Looks to me like Newt and Fred are probably the only two out there that get it and I don’t think either one is lazy.

We’re a long way out from November 2008.

Buzzy on July 11, 2007 at 8:40 PM

I can’t speak for others, and I don’t want to attack him; but once he declares he will undoubtedly have cause to clarify his positions – this is what I’m looking for.

Spirit of 1776 on July 11, 2007 at 8:41 PM

Way to ride the wave, Fred.

Next up…. Newt.

I love Newt as much as the next guy but he doesn’t have a chance

KBird on July 11, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Just to clarify, he meant August of 2007 right?

Cause I mean, knowing Fred “your candidate announcement date is in another castle” Thompson he could very well mean August of 2008 or 2011.

My bet is he will declare his Candidacy on August 32nd.

BKennedy on July 11, 2007 at 8:53 PM

Fred won’t announce until August

I guess he’ll just have to content himself with all the free publicity HA gives him.

Look at McCain. He’s already run out of money.

Mojave Mark on July 11, 2007 at 9:00 PM

Man, what a bunch of disappointment junkies you all are! Don’t get upset, let the campaign pick the right time for the announcement. There’s no credible debate on whether he’s running or not. He is. He’s appearing at a ton of Republican events, he’s getting his message out, he’s tied with or very near the top of the polls — all without spending any money on advertising.

His interest is not peaking, it’s just getting steam.

There. I’ve said my pep talk piece. Just so you all know, the only investment I have in this campaign is the $100 I sent in, and I am not connected to the campaign in any way, other than I see in Fred a breath of fresh air for this nation, something we have needed since the Reagan revolution. Someone who can make this country proud again of itself.

Just call me Pollyanna. But that’s what I’m hoping for.

Tennman on July 11, 2007 at 9:17 PM

If he announces in August, come September all of this hot air and supposed frustration will be long forgotten. I support Fred and am not the least bit concerned with it. He is picking and choosing his spots and playing all of us like a fiddle. Allah, Fred’s not your guy, right? If your guy is the one then it doesn’t matter what Fred does. Although I understand your frustration with the effort some candidates have put in and their relative poor results to show for it.

I suppose everyone here is in agreement that the campaigns aren’t long enough. Fred made it clear he was going to do this on his terms and I respect that.

Weber48IDA on July 11, 2007 at 9:26 PM

As long as he vows to fight resurgent Islamic imperialism for real, and to ITS DEATH, he can wait to Spetember 11 to announce.

The country is not paying much attention until the kids are back in school.

Meanwhile, he should read Robert Spencer’s book on Mohammad.

And Sun Tzu.

profitsbeard on July 11, 2007 at 9:41 PM

He has declarded right now. Damn, how hard is this to understand?

Fred is doing his best to be a candidate while not being a candidate. Having the rights Olbermann, Hannity, be his press agent.

He is running, not only political junkies get it. He’s just doing his best to stay under the radar of scrutiny and let the Fredheads defend him.

You Fredheads call it shred, the rest of us just see another politician and a cowardly one at that.

JackStraw on July 11, 2007 at 9:46 PM

JackStraw on July 11, 2007 at 6:57 PM

I agree, Dobson (er, Falwell’s not alive, you mean Robertson?) and others with a Litmus are crap, and kicking around Romney for his Mormonism is crap, I’ve said as much in the past.

Bad Candy on July 11, 2007 at 9:52 PM

Bad Candy on July 11, 2007 at 9:52 PM

I believe the Pope has a few worls for Dobson and Robertson et al regarding real churches. LOL.

I don’t seriously believe the evangelical Christians are going to snub a Mormon to promote a socialist CINO-WIP. (Christian in Name Only-When It’s Popular)

BKennedy on July 11, 2007 at 9:58 PM

And if anyone questions me ripping the Mormon hating, I has a moronblog post for posterity.

Bad Candy on July 11, 2007 at 10:07 PM

Given that he’s already told Hannity that the decision’s made, and it’s pretty clear that it isn’t “I’m not running”, he’s effectively announced that he’s an unofficial candidate at this point. That status allows NBC to run those episodes and pay him. What would being an official candidate do for him today that it wouldn’t do for him next month?

The Monster on July 11, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Well, this sounds like more of the same lying BS from freddie boy. And of course, all his supporters (from another blog I read) who were touting his mid June, no early July, no no, I mean mid July, oh no, my mistake, August, sometime, announcement are making all the excuses for him. Some of them are starting to sound like Ron Paul supporters.

fred? the lying fake, has shown EXACTLY the way he is going to behave in the future. I am going to make it my mission to expose this lying, RINO, flip-flopping, faker for exactly what he is.

fred?, YOU STINK!

csdeven on July 11, 2007 at 11:05 PM

csdeven on July 11, 2007 at 11:05 PM

That’s it csd….I am reporting you to the Fred!eral authorities..:)

Limerick on July 11, 2007 at 11:41 PM

I am going to make it my mission
csdeven on July 11, 2007 at 11:05 PM

LOL! Announce a date for us, cs, so we know when to duck!

Tennman on July 11, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Limerick on July 11, 2007 at 11:41 PM

Would that be his loony groupies? :-)

csdeven on July 11, 2007 at 11:55 PM

Tennman on July 11, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Yeah, that was redundant, I am already exposing him for what he is.

My bad. :-)

csdeven on July 11, 2007 at 11:56 PM

Thanks Fred! You just gave me a great reason for voting for Hillary.

At least she is on time.

Note: I’m actually rooting for Mitt!, but if he doesn’t win, I may vote for Hillary instead. Sigh…

Darnell Clayton on July 12, 2007 at 12:15 AM

I am reporting you to the Fred!eral authorities..:)

Nice play on words, Limerick.

Spirit of 1776 on July 12, 2007 at 12:45 AM