Video: Michelle and Bill catch New York Times fee-vah!

posted at 8:24 am on July 10, 2007 by Allahpundit

In which my favorite leftist does her tired softshoe routine about the distinction between the tiny nutroots minority of Bush-hating terror denialists whom no one listens to — Krugman, Herbert, Rich, Dowd, pretty much the entire op-ed page except for David Brooks and whoever’s filling the Hamas slot that day — and the supposed silent majority of Democrats who hope against hope for victory notwithstanding those yummy Senate seats they stand to gain from defeat and the Teachable Moment about American hubris that a little genocide will provide. Which group does Times management belong to? Surely the latter, says KP, not explaining why then their withdrawal plan is more precipitous than even Harry Reid is comfortable with or why, in another terror vein, they went and outed the SWIFT program to embarrass Bush even though it was legal and effective and, by their own public editor’s admission, the wrong thing to do.

Needless to say, MM politely takes issue. As will the left, ironically, citing KP’s criticism of Krugman once again as proof that she’s not a “real” Democrat. Leave it to a Fox News liberal not to see the cutting brilliance of “War on Terror” followed by a trademark symbol. She probably believes there’s been some kind of turnaround in Anbar province, too. That’s what she gets for not reading Glenn Greenwald daily.

Believe it or not, the Times discussion is the second segment here. I can’t bring myself to say what the lead was.

Comments

It is astonishing that the New York Times is supposed to be the apogee of reporting and analysis, yet the quality of its editorial page is at the level of a High School paper – all the snark, the immature outrage – sloppy and unprofessional. It’s expected at the High School level when people understand that Juniors and Seniors have a few things to learn about news and opinions and professional standards – but at the NYT ???

naliaka on July 10, 2007 at 8:36 AM

If you ever take nude or salacious photos, you had better be prepared to live with the consequences. This doesn’t take away from the blackmailer’s crime.

You can’t put the pictures back in the camera.

Don’t get a tattoo if you aren’t prepared to be labeled as carnie trash.

TheSitRep on July 10, 2007 at 8:44 AM

The New York Times wants only to undermine the war on terror and cause our defeat, and, convert the country to a pure socialist state. Other than that, they’re a bunch of real fine people. Seriously, that rag is a true danger to the Republic.

rplat on July 10, 2007 at 8:45 AM

Don’t get a tattoo if you aren’t prepared to be labeled as carnie trash.

WTF?

EnochCain on July 10, 2007 at 8:48 AM

Don’t get a tattoo if you aren’t prepared to be labeled as carnie trash.

I think he’s talking about the Miss New Jersey blackmail case.

What that has to do with this thread, I don’t know.

BacaDog on July 10, 2007 at 8:53 AM

Michelle replacing Bill? As long as it doesn’t take her away from Hotair, she has my vote.

Bigfoot on July 10, 2007 at 8:55 AM

Gaging your ears
Getting tattoos
Taking nude photos

will always bite you in the a*s,
Unless you work at a carnival.

TheSitRep on July 10, 2007 at 8:56 AM

Don’t get a tattoo if you aren’t prepared to be labeled as white trash.

Fixed.

MadisonConservative on July 10, 2007 at 9:00 AM

TheSitRep – I worked, around the globe, on aircraft carriers for thirty years. My tattoos have not bitten me in the a**. But hey, thanks for playing, we have a nice parting gift for you

MCPO Airdale on July 10, 2007 at 9:02 AM

MadisonConservative on July 10, 2007 at 9:00 AM

I have a tattoo and I do not consider myself white trash.

EnochCain on July 10, 2007 at 9:04 AM

The NYT should be believed in all things. Especially when they tell you they interviewed a dozen unnamed sources for a hit-piece that furthers their agenda of eroding confidence in an administration they despise and a war they don’t think exists. Maybe if you go back to stories a few days later, you’ll even find they changed without notice (or maybe only the LAT does that).

TheBigOldDog on July 10, 2007 at 9:04 AM

Every day the NYT has some negative story about this country, be it the war, the administration, immigration. Kirstin has to see this and it is indefensible. Kirstin looks like a full trying to justify the leftist hate of the USA by the NYT.

Wade on July 10, 2007 at 9:06 AM

The NY Slimes is nothing but over priced toilet paper. Throughtout its history, it has basically never been a paper for freedom and democracy. During World War II, it never reported on the concentration camps with the possible exception of a blurb appearing towards the end of the paper. Adolph was referred to asHerr Hitler. The starvation tactics of Stalin in the Ukraine was rarely mentioned at best. And now,the War On Terrorism. Here, as we know, the Slimes delightfully will publish restricted information that the Islamo Nazis benefit from. The placement of that trademark emblem next to the “War on Terrorism” tells me that the reporter and the members of the NY Slimes editors/politboro commisars committe think that this war is perhaps sometype of business deal going on. This war is not a business deal.

Don’t get a tattoo if you aren’t prepared to be labeled as carnie trash.

I understand what TheSitRep means by this. Sadly, many people still that having a tattoo is a sign of being low class. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have encountered many good people with ink. One person (a great lady who I think is hotter than Jennifer Lopez, and has a good heart) even saved me. Body art is nice, although I must confess I think that some people do go to far in getting tattoos.

As for Miss New Jersey, well, if the photos are harmless, then perhaps the best thing is to publish them so that the blackmailer faces a defeat. But, once again, so what if she is wearing a bikini, a see through negligee, or skinnydipping. If that is all there is, then so what? Nothing to be ashamed about. If the photos depict a sex act, well, than that is a problem. Either way, it is the blackmailer who is the criminal, not Miss New Jersey.

The False Dervish on July 10, 2007 at 9:08 AM

BTW-Yes, Bill, it just might be time for the Malkin Factor. In any event, I still say that it is time for Michelle to have her own program if possible.

The False Dervish on July 10, 2007 at 9:09 AM

Kirstin looks like a full fool trying to justify the leftist hate of the USA by the NYT.

And I look like a full fool for posting without proofing.

Wade on July 10, 2007 at 9:09 AM

I won’t comment on the NYTimes because it does not exist in my reality. I don’t know anyone who reads it or anyone who cares what they might write.

I do however think that Michelle looked fantastic in that clip.

Buzzy on July 10, 2007 at 9:09 AM

I thought I was white trash, but I don’t have a tattoo! What’s wrong with me?

Lee on July 10, 2007 at 9:20 AM

TheSitRep on July 10, 2007 at 8:56 AM

I fill in for the bearded lady at the carnival sometimes and I disagree.

Dash on July 10, 2007 at 9:20 AM

MCPO Airdale on July 10, 2007 at 9:02 AM

Ah, but you have to cover the tattoos when in uniform, and you are not allowed to have them on certain areas of your body because they present an unprofessional appearance. Try getting a Mike Tyson face tattoo and see how long before you’re given your walking papers, probably accompanied by a CM/NJP.

If you can’t see it, there’s (currently) not a huge problem. But if you look like you belong in a freak show, expect to be treated like a freak.

James on July 10, 2007 at 9:22 AM

Don’t get a tattoo if you aren’t prepared to be labeled as carnie trash.

TheSitRep on July 10, 2007 at 8:44 AM

Damn, does this mean I have to get half my teeth pulled too?

MCPO Airdale on July 10, 2007 at 9:02 AM

Ex-Airdale here too Master Chief. I’ll just let your words speak for me if you don’t mind. My son is a blackshoe, but he’s still Navy.

Kowboy on July 10, 2007 at 9:22 AM

I have a tattoo and I do not consider myself white trash.

I’m not saying you are. Let me put it in perspective.

Don’t ever mention racial differences if you aren’t prepared to be labeled as a racist.

The truth and the perception are like sine and cosine curves. Occasionally they intersect, but not often.

MadisonConservative on July 10, 2007 at 9:29 AM

Yep, it is called moderation.

Wade on July 10, 2007 at 9:29 AM

MCPO Airdale on July 10, 2007 at 9:02 AM

Blue jackets and Jarheads excepted.

S/F

TheSitRep on July 10, 2007 at 9:32 AM

No matter what sort of attractive wrapping paper (Kirstin) you put on it, liberalism is an mental disorder.

Hey, ladies, you’ve come a long way. The next step is into your mandatory coverings, and associated physical alterations.

mustang1 on July 10, 2007 at 9:36 AM

I was an 18 year Marine staggering thru Singapore. I too met Mr. Johnny Two Thumbs.

And I am sure when people see my ink they think less of me. But I am objective enough to know that tats and piercings are trashy.

TheSitRep on July 10, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Liberalism means living in a perpetual state of denial.

Of reality.

Always Right on July 10, 2007 at 9:39 AM

TheSitRep on July 10, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Well if someone thinks less of me just because they see my tat they do not sound like the kind of people I would want to know anyway.

EnochCain on July 10, 2007 at 9:41 AM

Anyway thats all about tats from me…do not want to hijack the thread.

EnochCain on July 10, 2007 at 9:48 AM

“Don’t get a tattoo if you aren’t prepared to be labeled as carnie trash.”

I have 3 tattoos but I’m a rehabilitated hippie chick. Luckily none of them are in any places that would jeopardize my ‘professional appearance’. And even more luckily, no pictures were ever taken to float around the internet :)

Keli on July 10, 2007 at 9:53 AM

AP, I guess having the NY Times — the self-proclaimed Paper of Record here — actively rooting for and sometimes supporting anti-Western terrorism is not the exciting story.

No, let’s talk about tattoos…

Jaibones on July 10, 2007 at 9:54 AM

Jaibones on July 10, 2007 at 9:54 AM

If something happens often enough it loses its conversational value.

James on July 10, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Don’t get a tattoo if you aren’t prepared to be labeled as carnie trash.
TheSitRep on July 10, 2007 at 8:44 AM

You should tell that to the next group of Harley riders you see. I’m sure you’ll get a thoughtful debate.

SouthernDem on July 10, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Blue jackets and Jarheads excepted.

S/F

…and bikers, drug cops, professional “rasslers”, the aforementioned carneys.

But, do you really want to see your investment advisor, surgeon, pharmacist, kindergarten teacher, etcetera, with a tribal loop tat, let alone snakes, large-breasted winged harpys (and the list goes on)?

And y’all have to admit, the preppie (is that term still viable / relevant?) trend of tattooing some semi-tough looking (but tasteful?) symbol on a body part is down right irritating. These weenies apparently believe “body art” will project street cred(??) or increase their intimidation factor.

In the disgusting department; been forced to take the kiddies to a water park this summer? The presence of tattoos is directly proportional to the probablilty that an individual may be mistaken for a baleen whale. Six Flags should offer the Japanese fleet a ten day open season……

Alamo on July 10, 2007 at 10:00 AM

No, let’s talk about tattoos…

Jaibones on July 10, 2007 at 9:54 AM

Yeah sadly this is Dog Bites Man. Nothing the NYT does surprises me anymore

Keli on July 10, 2007 at 10:04 AM

“Does Sulzberger want us to win in Iraq?”
“Sure, if it was POSSIBLE,” she says…

So, Sulzberger in his infinite wisdom has clearly decided that winning is impossible…. the HUBRIS! The privileged elitist know-it-all! This is what rankles me!

max1 on July 10, 2007 at 10:07 AM

I have a tattoo and I do not consider myself white trash.

I have a tatoo of white trash on my arm. Love it.

JiangxiDad on July 10, 2007 at 10:10 AM

JiangxiDad on July 10, 2007 at 10:10 AM

Heh.

EnochCain on July 10, 2007 at 10:11 AM

James on July 10, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Kind of what I was thinking. I suspect AP knew as much; that’s why he “couldn’t bring himself” to mention the lead. I would rather discuss tattoos myself. F*** the Times — Coulter was right, but I can’t say it or Allah will cast me into a lake of fire.

Jaibones on July 10, 2007 at 10:23 AM

SouthernDem on July 10, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Great argument. Some lib was on here last week saying the same thing, something about an inner city boxing gym. Dopey.

Jaibones on July 10, 2007 at 10:25 AM

Liberalism means living in a perpetual state of denial.

Of reality.

Always Right on July 10, 2007 at 9:39 AM

The scales have yet to fall from KP’s eyes.

infidel4life on July 10, 2007 at 10:58 AM

“Does Sulzberger want us to win in Iraq?”
“Sure, if it was POSSIBLE,” she says…

max1 on July 10, 2007 at 10:07 AM

That Pinch is to hubris what Barbara Streisand is to stupidity goes without saying, but this is an example of mendacity, not hauteur.
Sulzberger is on record supporting the individual VC in battle against an American soldier, let alone the cause of Indo Chinese Communism, a statement that even startled his arch liberal father. Though I’m sure upon reflection, Punch was quite proud.
If anyone for one second believes that Arty, Jr. or the entire liberal base for that matter, wants to see the U.S. succeed in Iraq or Afghanistan, you are in the running with Babs.
The left wing nuts that run the Democratic party want to see America humiliated at every opportunity. The big nasty, not-so-secret is, they want us to lose. That includes Democratic leadership Pelosi, Reid, et al, the MSM, and those elitists whose vision of Utopia is a an apologetic socialist state that redistributes the wealth of this nation to the pure and (formerly) impotent countries we’ve wronged.

Alamo on July 10, 2007 at 10:59 AM

Kirsten Powers is one beautiful woman.

Hilts on July 10, 2007 at 12:26 PM

I think the best part of the video was the first 30 seconds. Given the gravity of events that she has to cover most of the time, it’s always delightfully refreshing to see a reminder of just how captivating Michelle’s smile and laughter can be.

As to the New York Times… I can only conclude that they have an obsession with taking down George Bush that is on the same level of madness as Captain Ahab with the Great White Whale, and Khan with Admiral Kirk: so determined are they to annihilate their nemesis that they’ve lost any sense of perspective, proportion or rationality. They don’t care who else gets destroyed along the way, including, ultimately, themselves.

The only distinction is one with a key difference: Ahab and Khan were fictional, and the surrounding lives that they ruined and ended in their malevolent quests were fictional, too.

The people that the gang at the Times are consigning to death and destruction are very real.

Spurius Ligustinus on July 10, 2007 at 1:01 PM

TheSitRep on July 10, 2007 at 9:38 AM

That would be a matter of opinion, I happen to think women look rather hot with tattoos and piercings… ;)

liquidflorian on July 10, 2007 at 1:06 PM

and Khan with Admiral Kirk:

“TIIIIIIIIIIIMES!”

James on July 10, 2007 at 1:10 PM

Poor KP. She has to live in the nether region between common sense, and Democrat. Just when you think there’s hope for her, she goes into standard Dem Talking Points, like a zombie.

bmac on July 10, 2007 at 1:35 PM

The Grey Lady should be held accountable.
The NYT has filed amicus suits and has published rhetoric that has harmed our troops and national security.
There should not be a double standard for liberal hate trash.

The blackmail case should gone after by investigators just like any other criminal case and anyone else who is or would try this should get the clue that Miss New Jersey is sending, don’t try it.

Speakup on July 10, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Jaibones on July 10, 2007 at 10:25 AM

It’s not an argument, it’s a sarcastic response to a stupid comment about tattoos. Dopey indeed.

SouthernDem on July 10, 2007 at 2:15 PM

Sulzberger has a history of being anti-American. He was an anti-war protestor during the Vietnam war. When his father asked him who he’d want to win in a gunfight if an NVA and an American soldier suddenly came face to face in the jungle, Sulzberger responded that he’d want the NVA to win and the American to lose (and die).

Sulzberger’s paper has repeatedly illegally leaked national security secrets concerning the intelligence techniques used in fighting the war on terrorism. His editors and reporters have consistently undercut both the administration and the troops.

The only question I have is why Sulzberger, Keller, et. al., aren’t on death row awaiting execution for treason.

georgej on July 10, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Really, what can ya say about the NYT, that hasn’t been said already? One thing, the look on KP’s face when MM said she was being blithe. She was like a wounded puppy.

PowWow on July 10, 2007 at 2:45 PM

The Times editorial combined with the Burns front page article today provided some good detail on the difficulty of drawing down our 160,000 soldier commitment to Iraq. Their end-game seems to be extricating the majority of our soldiers while taking measures against a regional war and mitigating the possibility of large-scale genocide.

Currently, Republican senators are trying to get out in front of the withdrawal calls but from Tony Snow’s briefing yesterday it isn’t yet clear what strategic objective the administration will offer in order to keep the American public behind the present troop levels. The benchmark presentation to congress later this week will be interesting.

Plenty to criticize the Dems or the Times on, but right now the administration is about to see support from the congress and the public collapse unless it can articulate the benefit to Americans of maintaining a large troop commitment to Iraq. Is it to establish the stability of the Malaki government? Is it to minimize the long-term influence of al-Sadr or of Iran? How many years and how many lives would it take?

dedalus on July 10, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Get over yourself. If MSNBC or CNN hired gutless weasels in Powers’ mold to represent the “Republican” point view that began EVERY appearance with the words, “I agree with everything [insert Democrat's name here] but…” you’d be linking to Newsbusters posts about people who just “play Republicans on t.v.”.

Oh, like this one: http://newsbusters.org/node/11695

Fragility on July 10, 2007 at 2:57 PM

If something happens often enough it loses its conversational value.

James on July 10, 2007 at 9:56 AM

But if you say something often enough, sometimes even mediocre people grasp it, and it becomes part of elite opinion.

Kralizec on July 10, 2007 at 3:55 PM

liquidflorian on July 10, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Depends on the woman, but mine sure does. ;)

ReubenJCogburn on July 11, 2007 at 3:41 AM

SouthernDem on July 10, 2007 at 2:15 PM

Snark can be so … hard. Sorry.

Jaibones on July 11, 2007 at 11:56 AM