New Stak Attack: An Interview with Dr. Tawfik Hamid

posted at 8:12 am on July 9, 2007 by Bryan

What attracts an educated, successful man from a secular family to become a jihadi? Erick Stakelbeck interviewed former jihadist, Dr. Tawfik Hamid on that question and many others. Dr. Hamid also details one difference between Sunnis and Shia that doesn’t get much press.

Part II will air next week.

Comments

I don’t know why, but since we switched to headlines, I can’t open all Vents and Stak Attacks, and Jihad Watches. I can get the other videos you all upload, but not these. Is it just my computer, or is there something I can do to get them? Thanks.

p40tiger on July 9, 2007 at 8:27 AM

Awesome Stack Attack.

[sarc]…even though this Dr. Tawfik is obviously a bigot.[/sarc]

12thman on July 9, 2007 at 8:30 AM

What a load of crap! Everyone knows the root cause of terrorism is Bush’s numerous foreign policy blunders. Never mind the fact that, after finally expelling the Moors from “Andalusia” after 500 years, Ferdinand and Isabella funded Columbus’ search for a western passage due to a desire to avoid having their shipments from India pillaged by the Turks on land and the Barbary pirates at sea – which in the end caused America to be discovered.

Wingo on July 9, 2007 at 8:53 AM

Fantastic Vent! Thank you so much Eric for this. I could listen to this guy for hours. I wish he had talked more on the brain washing. I had never heard the “one wall” theory before.
As more people speak up (and unfortunately more terror attacks failed or successful take place) I think the West is finally getting it into their brains that this is not a poverty driven issue.

Babs on July 9, 2007 at 9:01 AM

I can’t open Vents, Stak Attacks or Jihad Watches, either. Is there a plugin I’m missing?

karatecon on July 9, 2007 at 9:07 AM

Considering the topic, katecon, I am not going there.Nope, won’t do it.

bbz123 on July 9, 2007 at 9:16 AM

Oops. aplologies karatecon.I got flustered over such a set-up for depravity. Maybe Ace will have this topic today.

bbz123 on July 9, 2007 at 9:17 AM

I hope that Western leaders are listening to his message, but I doubt it.

Sad but true. Ex-Jihadists like Dr. Hamid and Walid Shoebat are goldmines of info about the threat the West is facing, but our ‘leaders’ are f’ing clueless.

infidel4life on July 9, 2007 at 9:23 AM

Thanks Eric and HA for this Vent, I eagerly await next weeks installment.

Buzzy on July 9, 2007 at 9:36 AM

fascinating. wonder what rage-boy would look like if he had a girlfriend. maybe he wouldn’t be ragin from all that pent up energy all the time

Keli on July 9, 2007 at 9:43 AM

Without timestamps, the following quote is from section where Dr. Hamid discusses the jihadists’ brainwashing and indoctrination techniques about a quarter of the way into the interview:

He wanted me to suppress my critical thinking. This was the first step to be able to indoctrinate and control me. He told me, “Your brain is like a Donkey.” Which is a symbol of stupidity in the Muslim World… You have to leave your brain outside and go walking. You cannot use it any more…

The Donkey isn’t just a symbol of stupidity in the Muslim World buddy.

zb42 on July 9, 2007 at 9:44 AM

p40tiger on July 9, 2007 at 8:27 AM

karatecon on July 9, 2007 at 9:07 AM

If you can play the YouTube videos, then you’ve got the Flash Player plugin installed.

Try checking your firewall to see if blip.tv is being blocked. If you have a popup blocker, try disabling that.

If neither of those is the problem, try uninstalling Flash Player, and then downloading and reinstalling the latest version.

Nichevo on July 9, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Great Stak Attack interview! Fascinating carnal perspective as to why most terrorists are Sunni, not Shia.

zb42 on July 9, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Hahaha. The Shia are engaged in seminal offsets and that is why they don’t blow themselves up. I wonder what horney old bastard thought that one up?

Brilliant!

csdeven on July 9, 2007 at 10:09 AM

bbz123, somehow I knew I was walking into something with that question. I got the video to work by opening it in another tab (using Firefox). Now I understand your comments, and salute you for resisting depraved ridicule. But don’t let me stop you from having fun…

karatecon on July 9, 2007 at 10:10 AM

I always knew that sexual repression drives some men whacko, now I see how bad it can get. LOL I just wish most of those guys had brains to think that there is not an umlimited amount of the 72 virgins waiting for them all. Why then is there women who are suicide bombers?

bones47 on July 9, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Excellent! Funny how this whole thinking is backward. Can do no fleshly things here on Earth (where we live in the flesh). But if your are a good boy and blow yourself up then you can have fun in the flesh a hundred times a day in heaven. Didn’t know there was a need for American Standard products in heaven. Then over there in Shia land you can have a temporary marriage, for an hour. Get to do the same here in the USA if you want without all the paperwork. Just don’t give out your cell number.

mjkazee on July 9, 2007 at 10:34 AM

My pastor is always saying that it is assumed that in order to be a Christian that you have to “check your brain at the door” and that it’s not true, God wants you to use reason to come to the conclusion that He is True.

Now this guy is saying that he was told/ordered to “check his brain at the door.”

Interesting, I’d like to hear more from Dr. Hamid, too.

jjjen on July 9, 2007 at 10:58 AM

The Donkey isn’t just a symbol of stupidity in the Muslim World buddy.

zb42 on July 9, 2007 at 9:44 AM

I never knew that much coffee could go through my nose.

On-my-soap-box on July 9, 2007 at 11:01 AM

Interesting concept, Sex as a Weapon. The manner how each sect deals with the subject of sexual repression is revealing and shows that the Shia may understand life’s secrets better, while the Sunni use it simply motivate to rage.

There may also be something to ponder here, as it relates to certain western religions celibacy vows and publicized activities of priests and pedophilia.

MSGTAS on July 9, 2007 at 11:15 AM

P.S. Keep up the great work Mr. Stakelbeck and Hot Air staff.

The Hot Air team is truly bright and balanced (maybe a new slogan)

MSGTAS on July 9, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Sunnis are sexually repressed and The Shias have one hour to express themselves sexually.

In either case this supports my theory of why the jihadists have not done suicide missions here in the States… there are simply too many strip clubs here.
Also explains why the 9-11 jihadists went to strip clubs just before they boarded those planes. They were covering all their bases, just in case those 72 virgin coupons had all been redeemed before they got there.
No really seriously THIS IS MY THEORY.
Just as in any organization there is laziness, corruption, waste and misuse of funds, so also in Jihadi, Inc. I mean after all they too are NOT perfect!
They are given responsibility over a specific amount of funds for a specific project.. but then when they get here and experience the freedom and start tasting the opportunities of such.. I mean who could blame them for covering their bases?
Well, imagine them turning down the opportunity for a little sustained hedonism, money not being any issue.
Well, next thing they know the money is gone and they call back to their superiors for more. But their superiors of course are not sophisticated enough to effectively implement purchase orders…
… so one can only imagine the vicious cycle they are going through…to do or not to do. Oh the struggle!!

Don’t believe me? Go interview some strippers in Boston, Michigan or Florida.
Tools needed: Cashola.

Mcguyver on July 9, 2007 at 12:05 PM

The Donkey isn’t just a symbol of stupidity in the Muslim World buddy.

zb42 on July 9, 2007 at 9:44 AM

nice

Esthier on July 9, 2007 at 12:13 PM

I briefly belonged to a church/cult where the pastor preached that sex was bad-bad-bad, but then he would go into gory detail all of his sexcapades when he was younger. His rules were arbitrary and seem to be based upon his moods, and questioning is not allowed. The pastor often told me that I think too much, and that was a cardinal sin, couched in terms of “pride.” He often spoke of the eternal reward while denying life today. Questions were not tolerated. True faith can stand up to scrutiny, false faith cannot so dissent is squashed before it can even begin. And if anyone wonders how religions like Islam come into existance, how a madman, a sociopath, can gather a flock, it’s surprisingly easy.

Intelligence can actually be a curse in that the more intelligent a person, the greater the fantasy is weaved around the message/messanger. True Believers are often very intelligent. And once you have given up everything for your faith, you become capable of anything to prevent any doubt or crack in the veneer to appear. Suppression of natural human instincts, of rational thought, of logic; creating a mythology to become better than everyone else; a charismatic leader who will tell you what to believe, what to think so you no longer have to. Islamofascists have the same mindset as cult members, as True Believers.

Luckily, I got out – I just couldn’t turn off my brain, no matter how much easier it would have been to do so. You have no idea how nice it would be to be stupid, to not think, to not question, to follow blindly.

Blight on July 9, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Its still boggles my mind that none of the progressives look at things like this and deride the radicals for the repressiveness.

liquidflorian on July 9, 2007 at 12:36 PM

I don’t buy the idea that differences in sexual suppression between Sunni and Shia account for less suicide bombing by the Shias.

In the first place, it was a Shiite, the Ayotollah Khomeini, who greatly popularized martyrdom operations in the muslim world. Thousands of Shia Basij volunteers killed themselves in Iran-Iraq War simply to clear minefields. Given what we know about psychology of young men, I’m sure that they would rather have gone out in an exciting terrorist attack than something as pedestrian as land mind clearance.

In the second place, I suggest that Koranic induced delusions of persecution are an adequate explanation of all Islamic suicide bombing.

thuja on July 9, 2007 at 1:14 PM

Why then is there women who are suicide bombers?

bones47 on July 9, 2007 at 10:20 AM

With all those horney muslims around, wouldn’t you wanna die too?

- The Cat

P.S. This also explains their hate of women. “Can’t get none.”

MirCat on July 9, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Thank you, Erik.

PRCalDude on July 9, 2007 at 2:04 PM

this was fascinating, i have observed muslim prayers, and enquired as to which surah was used at the prayer, and they like most muslims i have met use the fatiha and the surah al ikhlas to form the bulk of the prayer, this was also true of the prayers i saw pergormed on cnn during the hajj, where they had brief coverage, you can also see it on most sattelitte stations

what really gives a good insight into how the jihadists elements in islam work, is that they substitute the fatiha and ikhlas for the jihad surahs in the quran, this is something i think many of the muslims i met would me suprised at and would indeed wake them to how the jihad message is being spread by the fanatics.

The other fascinating insight is the differentiation made by the man in the video, between the sunni and shia on matters of sexuality and sex, the shia method of mitha as described is often maligned but i guess in this context it can seem almost logical.

very interesting video, thank you.

zane on July 9, 2007 at 3:11 PM

That just proves how stupid they are. Who needs an hour?

Editor on July 9, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Krykee.

These guys are jihadists. They’re in the world. We get these guys laid, and we’ll have no problems!

Paging Dr. Freud’s cigar.

locomotivebreath1901 on July 9, 2007 at 3:53 PM

For more background on how jihadi groups get recruits, I think this video may do just that. It’s not related to Islam, but it’s still useful. The same tactics used by non-Muslim cult leaders are used by groups like Jamaat Islamia and by leaders like the Lal Masjid mullah.

mram on July 9, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Staak, I always enjoy your informative pieces with influential people. Keep up the good work.

ThackerAgency on July 9, 2007 at 7:43 PM

He’s completely wrong. It’s not sexual repression and brainwashing that causes suicide bombing. It’s the JOOOOOOOOOOOOS!

/sarc

Seriously, it’s refreshing to get the truth every once in a while. Good on you, Dr. Hamid.

Insomniac on July 9, 2007 at 9:46 PM

Sexual repression for unmarried students, ok, I get it. But when they catch up with these shtarkers in the field, when they raid their safe houses, they always find that they’ve been raping infidel teenage girls. Is it because these guys are married, because they are not students, because the girls are infidels, because the girls are under-age, or maybe just because they are hypocrites of gargantuan proportions?

smellthecoffee on July 9, 2007 at 11:19 PM

Bush removes shoes for Allah

Connie on July 10, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Excellent Stak attack, Bryan. I hope Stak can have Dr. Hamid on again in the future.

Chris L. on July 11, 2007 at 8:53 PM

So is Dr. Hamid promoting the Sufism, the new agey Islamic religion of the United Nations? As in Prince Charles, sufi-lite?

Connie on July 13, 2007 at 10:44 AM