Video: Yusuf Islam, a.k.a. Cat Stevens, on Salman Rushdie in 1989

posted at 11:20 am on July 8, 2007 by Allahpundit

Here’s Live Earth hero Yusuf Islam showing just how peaceful that peace train of his is, endorsing the murder of Salman Rushdie while the cretins around him cower silently. The transcript of this has existed on Wikipedia for awhile but this is the first time I’ve seen the actual footage.

Maybe Yusuf, like Ayaan Hirsi Ali, has since seen the light and given up his Rushdie death wish? Could be — but if so, unlike Ayaan Hirsi Ali, he’s keeping it to himself:

Because he refuses to talk about the quotes attributed to him during the Salman Rushdie furore, it’s impossible to discover whether his views on that fatwa have moderated. Rushdie, writing to The Sunday Telegraph in response to an article that played down Yusuf’s part in the controversy, quoted from The New York Times in which Yusuf apparently said that burning “the real thing” would be preferable to burning effigies of the writer. Signing off, the author then added: “Let’s have no more rubbish about how ‘green’ and ‘innocent’ this man was.”

Comments

Don’t forget this story, Yusuf Islam won’t talk to other women, particularly uncovered meatwomen.

He of course was receiving an award for building a bridge between Islam and the West.

Bad Candy on July 8, 2007 at 11:32 AM

I hate them for what they did September 11 2001
For real people ask how can you hold hatred for almost six years simple love and I lost someone.

American8298 on July 8, 2007 at 11:42 AM

How and why is it that approving of, or promoting the killing of an innocent person, can be accepted and not prosecuted? Catfish Stevens should be arrested on site, whenever he visits any civilized nation, and put away forever.
Stupid muslims.
Stupid-er infidels (us).

ataloss on July 8, 2007 at 12:10 PM

I lost someone.

American8298 on July 8, 2007 at 11:42 AM

So sorry to hear that..We all lost on that day…A drunk driver killed me a while back, the injury’s were so severe the doctors told me 12 years ago they would only give me another 10 yrs. to live..So I’m on borrowed time here… My point is….Find a reason to keep fighting to the end…Ever since the illegals ran me and my family out of our last home, it has given me a passion to fight to the DEATH….

Legions on July 8, 2007 at 12:11 PM

He apparently lost his mind when he almost drowned a while back and for some reason accepted Allah as his rescuer.

A pity he didn’t go for Buddha, because he used him on an album cover.

Buddha: “Wake up, be compassionate.”

Allah: “Strike at their necks.”

Cat died, and this malicious mutant was reborn.

Advocating murder for thinking differently than he does.

Demented.

profitsbeard on July 8, 2007 at 12:14 PM

“Let’s have no more rubbish about how ‘green’ and ‘innocent’ this man was.”

Sadly, it’s high time this attitude was applied to the entire Muslim community. Dalrymple’s LA Times piece today articulates a very troubling feeling that I have come to share over the last few years: until “moderate” and “peaceful” Muslims start to very loudly assert their existence in great numbers, I will continue to find it quite difficult to trust any of them.

The moral costs of doing so are terribly high; but I fear the moral and material costs of not doing so could be even higher.

I will be extremely happy to be proven wrong, but I am starting to doubt whether any of them are truly “‘green’ and ‘innocent’”.

Lee on July 8, 2007 at 12:18 PM

A drunk driver killed me a while back

really don’t do it

American8298 on July 8, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Has anyone else noticed that his musical skills have deteriorated since his conversion (Allah be praised)?

What a waste.

infidel4life on July 8, 2007 at 12:31 PM

I’ve got a great idea (even if I do say so, myself).. how about for every fatwa issued, we counter it with a bounty on the person(s) calling for it? Soon, there will be lots of dead bad guys, and lots of rich good guys.

ataloss on July 8, 2007 at 12:31 PM

A drunk driver killed me a while back

Ghosts on the internet!

tad on July 8, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Mediocre British folk singer converts to pedophile-worshipping death junkie. End of story.

thejackal on July 8, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Where’s Alf when you need him?

trubble on July 8, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Ghosts on the internet!

tad on July 8, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Sorry tad,this is a real live story..still. Just like your friend Geraldo brings up “don’t take my daddy away” I’m an anchor baby “born in the USA”..or whatever other hard luck stories they sob about..there are 10′s of thousands of people like myself who have fallen victim to your illegal hooligans..It’s ok for me to make light of my situation for it eases the pain…I’m banking on the doctors were wrong and guess what tad everyday is one less day for all of us…my guess is you or your family are in the real estate business..

Legions on July 8, 2007 at 1:02 PM

thejackal: damn. stole my line.

madne0 on July 8, 2007 at 1:12 PM

And it was just the other day I was watching Hannity and Skeletor, and Skeletor (Holmes) said that Catfish said no such thing ever.

firepilot on July 8, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Legions,

I have no idea what you wrote. Your posts are, quite literally, less intelligible than a drunken Smeato describing how to set about a jihadi.

When you write:

“A drunk driver killed me a while back”

people are liable to assume that what you in fact mean is that you are no longer among the living.

Nevertheless, it is a mystery to me how exactly you extrapolated, from my comments, that I am an illegal alien.

tad on July 8, 2007 at 1:15 PM

La hoo za her

Hening on July 8, 2007 at 2:07 PM

I too caught Alan “Beetlejuice” Colmes the other night emphatically denying Cat “Blow Up The Peace Train” Stevens ever said that. Unless that is one masterfully doctored video, ol’ Beetlejuice ought to offer an apology and retraction the next time he crawls out of his coffin to go on air.

commonsensehoosier on July 8, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Trouble, trouble set me free….MAN!!!! And I used to love Cat Stevens. Well, there go those CDs. MAN!

Glynn on July 8, 2007 at 3:28 PM

firepilot on July 8, 2007 at 1:13 PM

I’m gonna find an e-mail for Colmesey right now

PowWow on July 8, 2007 at 3:35 PM

sorry, forgot to take quote off to

PowWow on July 8, 2007 at 3:36 PM

P.O.S.

bloggless on July 8, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Why is this a-hole not behind bars with a large inmate named Kinky to keep him company?

VolMagic on July 8, 2007 at 4:48 PM

O baby, baby, it’s a wild world. It’s hard to get by just upon a smile.

Ain’t it the truth Yusef.

Thomas the Wraith on July 8, 2007 at 4:49 PM

I know we’ve come along way.
We’re changin’ day to day.
But tell me, where do the children play?

Now why do you want to know Yusef? I’m sure it ain’t good.

Thomas the Wraith on July 8, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Don’t forget this story, Yusuf Islam won’t talk to other women, particularly uncovered women.
Bad Candy on July 8, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Don’t you he’s looking for a hard headed woman?

Thomas the Wraith on July 8, 2007 at 5:00 PM

… going to peafully club the effigy to death . . .

ummm, what did you just say?

- The Cat

Where’s Alf when you need him?

trubble on July 8, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Now wait just a minute!

MirCat on July 8, 2007 at 7:44 PM

This guy is a genuine, American made, P.O.S. He should be formally exiled and never allowed to set foot in this country again.

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE on July 8, 2007 at 10:09 PM

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE

Actually, he’s British made. haha

p40tiger on July 8, 2007 at 10:33 PM

To think that “Wild World” was the only half decent song he came out with.

The Islamofascists can have him.

Ryan Gandy on July 8, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Check out the lyrics of “Moon Shadow”. Apparently he was a believer back then.

bloggless on July 9, 2007 at 9:35 AM

The memory hole has an echo.
“Ex Pop Star Thinks Salman Rushdie Should Die”

KCtheKat on October 24, 2007 at 8:42 AM