Video: “Big Bottom,” featuring every bass player in the world

posted at 11:24 pm on July 8, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’ll try to do better this week about serving up the red meat, I promise. But for now, here’s Spinal Tap’s set from Live Earth yesterday at Wembley: “Stonehenge,” then the song they wrote for the occasion, “Warmer Than Hell,” and finally “Big Bottom” featuring every performer in the stadium — including three of the four members of Metallica — on the bass. I looked for a clip that cut out the second song and actually found one, but, appallingly, in order to fit “Stonehenge” and “BB” into a 10-minute YouTube edit, they cut out the part where the dwarves dance around the set piece. You’ll find that here, about halfway through the first clip.

In case you missed it in headlines earlier, the peak audience last night in the UK was 4.5 million, less than half what Live 8 pulled two years ago.

Comments

A gore-gy without dwarves?? The earth is doomed!

locomotivebreath1901 on July 8, 2007 at 11:31 PM

Who cares?

Jaibones on July 8, 2007 at 11:32 PM

Us big bottomed gals do not appreciate being flouted about for Live Earth pith. Thank you.

bloggless on July 8, 2007 at 11:32 PM

There are some great, talented bands in music. THEN, there are these spares!

Gatordoug on July 8, 2007 at 11:33 PM

Who cares?

I do, obviously. Do I need to do one of my “you’re not required to read the items that don’t interest you” reminder posts?

Don’t be so snotty.

Allahpundit on July 8, 2007 at 11:34 PM

That’s what happens when they have to cut it short

*boo’s self*

I’ve read the viewership numbers fell far short of expectations…I know Rio was less than half. I still find it so ironic that to bring attention to lowering our “carbon footprint”, the Goracle organizes mult-continent rock concerts…and those stages are lit with more lights than I’ve seen lately at any rock show.

JetBoy on July 8, 2007 at 11:37 PM

I can’t even see the words ‘Spinal Tap’ without chuckling. Awesome.

Spirit of 1776 on July 8, 2007 at 11:39 PM

heh Lenny

– The Cat

MirCat on July 8, 2007 at 11:46 PM

Still, a hefty audience. I still believe most of those who attend or watch this do so because of the bands playing, and not the cause which brought them together. I’d be willing to bet most in the audience are too high to know why they’re there, dude.

thedecider on July 8, 2007 at 11:47 PM

I got the impression that the crowd didn’t really get it….

TBinSTL on July 8, 2007 at 11:50 PM

The bit with all the bass players was actually pretty funny.

Blacklake on July 8, 2007 at 11:51 PM

So THAT”S Spinal Tap? And to think all this time I thought I was missing something….

Guardian on July 8, 2007 at 11:52 PM

I never realized how much Harry Shearer looks like Lemmy from Motorhead. And what is the extremely liberal and politically correct Adam Yauch doing taking part in a song about women’s ample tushes after he’s spent the past few years apologizing for the Beastie’s early songs. Personally, i like the Beasties early stuff, but it does kind of make him look like a hypocrite.

forged rite on July 8, 2007 at 11:53 PM

I watched the whole thing to see what would happen to the drummer, and nada. I want my money back.

see-dubya on July 8, 2007 at 11:55 PM

Thanks Allah, that made my day.

BobH on July 9, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Hillary “I changed my theme song to ‘Big Bottom’ because they’ve always been on Bill’s mind”.

Entelechy on July 9, 2007 at 12:11 AM

As a bass player, I have to say Big Bottom was one big mushy mess. Looked like fun though.

infidel4life on July 9, 2007 at 12:19 AM

“Nobody rocks like………….. Springfield!”

ericire12 on July 9, 2007 at 12:19 AM

4.5 million is a lot of idiots who probably have no clue what the global warming religion is really all about.

Weren’t these the same type people who were going to cure hunger in Africa?

SouthernGent on July 9, 2007 at 12:21 AM

A few other alternative Hillary campaign songs:

“Highway to Hell” By Marilyn Manson
“Liar” by Korn
“Dude Looks Like a Lady” by Aerosmith
“Shakedown” by Akon
“Anarchy” by Busta Rymes
“Chinese Democracy” by Guns N’ Roses
“Love Me, I’m A Liberal” by Phil Ochs
“Back in The USSR” by the Beatles
“Hitler’s Girlfriend” by Dime Store Prophets

ericire12 on July 9, 2007 at 12:21 AM

Spinal Tap is an elaborate spoof.

Are they saying something about Global Warming?

Here’s something better-

Music

profitsbeard on July 9, 2007 at 12:22 AM

Satire, parody–and, often, sarcasm–are lost on the humorless.

Quite funny, yet… you know there were many who were too puzzled to get the joke.

rho on July 9, 2007 at 12:24 AM

BASS SOLO!

ericire12 on July 9, 2007 at 12:24 AM

Bug on the windscreen..I totally ignored the whole thing, even though some of my favorite artists performed.
BTW Allah – You really want the iPhone? Start a donation! I am sure all of here could spare a few bucks..but then again we are in the worst economy since the great depression

lsutiger on July 9, 2007 at 12:27 AM

I once saw spinal tap open for a music video. (no kidding) and it was a riotous show. When they played Stonehenge and the Stonehenge prop descended, the darn thing was too big to fit the stage. The bass player came out of the backstage area with some blueprints yelling at the guy who was supposed to be the rigging manager. Quite funny. The drummer did not die that evening either, which was kind of a let down.

chow on July 9, 2007 at 12:28 AM

This is our new song. Devoted to our favorite planet. No, it’s not Jupiter. No, it’s not the moon

And here I thought the moon was, you know, a moon.

Eventually everyone does Madonna.

he he

And another “he he” to the top stone not coming down until after the two base stones had been wheeled off stage.

frost on July 9, 2007 at 12:28 AM

Big announcement – their “favorite planet” and “not Jupiter…not the moon” will crumble.

Madonna invited the ‘enemy’ for dinner. Little aristocratic capitalist b*tch she is, while she sings to you to live green, save the Earth, wishing it to catapult toward soc*alism. Heh.

David Cameron was a guest of Madonna for a private dinner at her £7million London home, it has emerged.

The Tory leader and his wife Samantha were entertained by the singer and her film director husband Guy Ritchie, last month.

Entelechy on July 9, 2007 at 1:12 AM

Damn I love Spinal Tap. Thanks for that–made my day!

robblefarian on July 9, 2007 at 1:14 AM

..these go to eleven.

j0 on July 9, 2007 at 1:14 AM

And here I thought the moon was, you know, a moon.

You got through Stonehenge, and that bugged you?

I think that’s called ‘not getting the joke’.

BathTub on July 9, 2007 at 1:28 AM

Spinal Tap is a spoof.
Just like Global Warming is.

Comedy in what some would deem a serious problem.
If only they understood what or whom the problem was or is.

I find it ironic. The Goracle’s world concert has added fuel to the worlds demise.
Or doesn’t he know that already. That’s gonna be one hellofa carbon credit come morning.
Do you think having timers on the toilets will make the release of carbon anymore efficient?

Submitted for your approval, of course. I care.

Kini on July 9, 2007 at 1:54 AM

Eventually, everybody does Madonna…

::SHUDDER::

Mallard T. Drake on July 9, 2007 at 2:03 AM

frost on July 9, 2007 at 12:28 AM

Some folks here don’t get Spinal Tap. To simplify, nothing “odd” that happens when Spinal Tap is onstage is a surprise to them. Rob Reiner intro’d them because their existence is his brainchild.

Freelancer on July 9, 2007 at 2:07 AM

I covered their “comeback” tour with the release of “Break Like The Wind” in 1992, which, Al Gore would be pleased to know, came in an Extra-Long Box (remember that great cardboard sleeve that CD’s used to come packaged in?). I still have one here, still shrink-wrapped: “The Extra-Long Box is an environmentally conscious product which utilizes more of our precious recycled resources than any other compact disc packaging, Its very shape pays homage to the trees of our planet’s noble forests.”

Obviously, enviro-activism has always been one of their “causes.” The “BLTW” track listing includes “The Sun Never Sweats,” “Rainy Day Sun,” the title track “Break Like The Wind,” “Stinkin’ Up The Great Outdoors,” and, um, “Clam Caravan” (don’t ask).

Oh, the tales I could tell about that tour, but in short, Harry: couldn’t have been nicer; Christopher: quiet, kept to himself; Michael: If you met him as Michael, you did not address him as such if he was dressed as “David St. Hubbins” (and vice versa). A true method actor, believe it or not.

Captain Scarlet on July 9, 2007 at 2:58 AM

How any of you heartless bastards can still ignore the issue after watching those dwarves is beyond me! I tried to be a denier, but watching tiny men jump around on stage has caused me to do a complete 180 (that and a bunch of drugged out douchey musicians who haven’t put 5 seconds of thought in to the issue playing music. How can I deny their logic? I mean, they don’t know what they’re talking about, but damn if they didn’t burn up some CO2 in order to play music in an effort to show us that we shouldn’t!)

So I’ll ignore the new PM of Britain saying we need a “New World Order” to combat global warming (something folks like me have said was the whole gw motivation in the first place for a long time), I’ll ignore the real scientists in fields that put them in the know being pushed out of their jobs because they don’t do what the UN tells them. I’ll ignore that the REAL “science is is” science tells us that any warming is caused by solar activity. I’ll ignore that 30 % methane, 40 times more potent a green house gas than carbon (though admittedly less present in the atmosphere, but it’s Zawahiri to global warmists), COMES FROM FREAKIN’ PLANTS AND TREES!

Yeah, I’ll ignore all that. Give me an Al Gore hologram, lying about 2 billion people tuning in. A real Al Gore with deliberately sweaty arm pits (you know, because hot days in DC in July are out of the ordinary), idiot musicians, and finally dwarves dancing around on stage and you’ve cured me of my ignorance.

RightWinged on July 9, 2007 at 3:33 AM

I wonder how many cigarettes were smoked by the people who care about our health, both by musicians and in the audience.

StuLongIsland on July 9, 2007 at 6:38 AM

I think it is amusing to have:
a fake band
for a
fake cause.

It’s just somehow right.

TheSitRep on July 9, 2007 at 7:06 AM

I know it’s a spoof but…all I see up there are a bunch of guitar players playing bass, like 95% of all rock bands.

LtE126 on July 9, 2007 at 7:40 AM

Just like the rest of the hype with Live Earth all the bass players in the world were not there. I know I wasn’t.

Buzzy on July 9, 2007 at 7:58 AM

This isn’t a concert, its a circus.

Gotta love the basses though.

Lawrence on July 9, 2007 at 8:01 AM

I get it…What we have here is a classic case of the law of unintended consequence.
These people are so self-absorbed that whatever carbon footprint one of them makes, there is another one close-by to absorb it.
Except, of course for Algore, he can simply absorb himself! No small task!
But where are the supreme-absorbers, Billary?
God, I feel so,so…green.

polokfla on July 9, 2007 at 8:11 AM

Us big bottomed gals do not appreciate being flouted about for Live Earth pith.

Cue Queen: Ah, you’re gonna take me home tonight…
Fat bottom girls, you make the rockin’ world go round.

A few other alternative Hillary campaign songs:

“Highway to Hell” By Marilyn Manson

Is that the AD/DC song? If so, I think it would fit MM quite well.

Bigfoot on July 9, 2007 at 8:29 AM

bloggless on July 8, 2007 at 11:32 PM

You do of course realize we require photographic evidence of your membership in this particular advocacy group.

:D

fusionaddict on July 9, 2007 at 9:37 AM

Now I understand why my boys from RUSH didn’t participate.

wcrego on July 9, 2007 at 9:52 AM

Clarification: In my previous post, MM = Marilyn Manson, NOT Michelle Malkin.

Although I’m a fan of their musical Vents, I wouldn’t recommend Highway To Hell to Michelle and Bryan. However, if Hillary gets her party’s nomination, I could change my mind.

Bigfoot on July 9, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Clearly, there are a bunch of HA posters who’ve never seen This is Spinal Tap.
Pity!
“Big Bottom” is a classic…as for the gang of bass players, hilarious!
(For those of you who didn’t see the movie, their bass players kept getting killed.)
“Are we doing Stonehenge tonight?”

Jen the Neocon on July 9, 2007 at 10:30 AM

To paraphrase the movie, it’s not that all the hype generated by Al Gore’s movie is dying out, it’s just that his audience is becoming more selective.

SPAM: Seeing as it’s the anniversary of Jerry Garcia’s death, I’ve posted my old bandmates performing their JC tribute. Yes, they rhymed Garcia with gonorrhea.

saint kansas on July 9, 2007 at 10:39 AM

SPAM link. Caution: it’s on MySpace, so slip a big condom over your PC first.

saint kansas on July 9, 2007 at 10:40 AM

At least one good thing came out of those stupid concerts. “Warmer than Hell,” – heh, that’s pretty good, and perfect Spinal Tap.

Dudley Smith on July 9, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Correction, the drummers kept getting killed, by unlikely means e.g. spontaneous combustion. Derek Smalls (Harry Shearer) is the bass player.

Mallard T. Drake on July 9, 2007 at 11:13 AM

[email protected] on July 9, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Beat me by “that much”…..

Mallard T. Drake on July 9, 2007 at 11:14 AM

My favorite ST drummer death:

Choked on vomit (someone else’s).

Also dug the end of “Warmer than Hell”. Anyone recognize the riff?

MikeZero on July 9, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Sorry, guys!
You out-Tapped me!
It was the drummers indeed.
Still love ’em, even as old f*rts.

Jen the Neocon on July 9, 2007 at 11:34 AM

MikeZero on July 9, 2007 at 11:25 AM

It was never determined conclusively who’s vomit it was. “You can’t exactly dust for vomit prints, now can you?”

Buck Turgidson on July 9, 2007 at 12:22 PM

TheSitRep on July 9, 2007 at 7:06 AM

I think it is amusing to have:
a fake band
for a
fake cause.

It’s just somehow right.

And we have a winner……..

doriangrey on July 9, 2007 at 12:25 PM

LOL… That made my morning!

liquidflorian on July 9, 2007 at 12:48 PM

“Talk about Carbon Footprints,
MY GIRL’S GOT ‘EM!”

mojo on July 9, 2007 at 1:18 PM

“There’s a fine line between clever and stupid”.

MikeZero on July 9, 2007 at 3:52 PM